Sorainen > Riga, Latvia > Firm Profile
KR. VALDEMARA 21
Sorainen > The Legal 500 RankingsSorainen advises on major project financing matters and capital markets transactions, as well as providing regulatory and compliance advice. Real estate and construction financing is one of the firm’s core strengths. As part of a pan-Baltic firm, the practice is noted for its cross-border capabilities. The team is led by Rūdolfs Eņģelis, who regularly oversees project financing transactions and counts Luminor and Czech bank Česká spořitelna as key clients. Senior associates Inese Heinacka and Agneta Rumpa provide additional support.
Other key lawyers:
Agneta Rumpa; Inese Heinacka
Nordic Investment bank
Riga Retail Park
The Ministry of Transport of the Republic of Latvia
- Advising the Nordic Investment Bank and Citadele banka on their provision of financing to AS PN Project, a company managed by Lords LB Asset Management, for its construction of an office complex in Riga.
- Acted as Latvian law adviser to the joint lead managers Citigroup, Luminor Bank, Nordea and UniCredit on the issuance by Citadele banka of 200 million EUR in notes, due in 2026.
Eva Berlaus; Nauris Grigals
Other key lawyers:
Renāte Purvinska; Janis Bite
IK Partners and Renta Group
Apollo Global Management
- Advised the state-owned energy company Ignitis Group on entering the Latvian renewable energy market.
- Advised Certares, a US-based investment specialist dedicated to the travel, tourism and hospitality sectors, on the acquisition of a stake in Avia Solutions Group (ASG)
- Advising IK Partners and Renta Group on its acquisition of Uprent Group as local counsel for the Baltics.
Latvia > Dispute resolution Tier 1With a truly extensive team, Sorainen fields one of the most holistic and comprehensive offerings in the market. Valts Nerets and Andris Tauriņš jointly lead a practice encompassing commercial litigation, international arbitration, tax disputes and public procurement projects. Senior associate Katrīne Pļaviņa-Mika leads a specialist government relations subdivision of the team, helping clients to communicate effectively with government representatives and regulatory bodies. Krista Niklase works on white collar crime, with her practice covering issues of bribery, fraud and money laundering, as well as general antitrust matters. Insolvency and PPP specialist, Raivo Raudzeps, is another key name.
Valts Nerets; Andris Tauriņš
‘They are proactive, commercial, good lawyers, and thoughtful.’
‘Very good experience with Agita Sprude in dispute resolution.’
‘Sorainen is our trusted advisor, knows our business inside and out and thus sees the big picture when providing advice. The litigation strategy that they have developed for us is practical and efficient.’
‘Sorainen’s dispute resolution practice provides very high quality legal advice. We really appreciate their availability, business mindset and capability to provide team of excellent professionals fit for each task.’
‘Very good at answering questions that are based, as ours do, on experience in a different legal system, as well as on proposing practical solutions to the issues.’
‘The team is resourceful and business minded.’
‘Partner Valts Nerets excellently manages the projects assigned to dispute resolution team.’
‘Incomparable service provided by Sorainen.’
The State Construction Control Bureau of Latvia
Pilna Servisa Līzings
Journalist Inga Spriņģe
- Advised RB Rail on all legal matters regarding the development of the Rail Baltica railway.
- Represented Primeteh in obtaining an interim protection regarding infringing the client’s intellectual property rights.
- Represented JYSK in Latvia’s constitutional court regarding the government-imposed restrictions on commerce related to Covid-19.
Latvia > EU and competition Tier 1Sorainen‘s EU and competition practice covers merger clearance, industry-wide investigations into abuse of dominance and compliance advice, acting under the leadership of Ieva Andersone. Andersone regularly litigates before the Latvian Competition Council and provides assistance on competition matters, with a particular focus on the construction, retail and financial services sectors. The practice also represents municipal authorities, with one matter for Riga City Municipality notably concerning the whole of the waste management market in the city. Associate Marika Grunte is recommended for her significant experience in helping clients to obtain merger clearances and for her expertise in cartel matters, which has been shaped by her previous role as head of the Latvian Competition Council’s cartel department.
Other key lawyers:
‘They respond very quickly to a request for legal services, always meet the deadlines, it is very easy and pleasant to communicate with them, there is a knowledgeable specialist found on each legal issue.’
‘We communicate with partner Ieva Andersone and senior associate Marika Grunte. High-level professionals. Very easy and pleasant communication. Responds to questions and requests are very prompt. The work is done accurately, in high quality and in compliance with deadlines. There is always a sense of desire to help and immersion in the topic.’
- Advised JYSK in a case related to an unequal treatment arising from the Latvian government’s imposed COVID-19 safety measures that were more beneficial for one part of the traders, while other part were restricted.
- Assisted the Riga City Municipality to reach a settlement with the Competition Council in the infringement case initiated against the Riga City Municipality and Getliņi EKO regarding alleged abuse of a dominant position under Article 102 of the TFEU in the waste management sector.
Latvia > IP, IT and telecoms Tier 1Sorainen‘s intellectual property and technology and media teams represent clients in an array of sectors including broadcasting, music, e-commerce and pharmaceuticals. Ieva Andersone offers support on intellectual property rights protection and enforcement strategies in case infringements should occur. Senior associate Linda Reneslāce provides telecoms and gaming regulatory advice, as well as assisting with data protection and cybersecurity matters. Her practice also involves legal oversight for M&A in the telecoms sector and IT public procurements. Co-head of the dispute resolution team, Andris Tauriņš leads on many media related disputes and is another key name to note.
Ieva Andersone; Andris Tauriņš; Linda Reneslāce
Other key lawyers:
Jūlija Terjuhana; Katrīne Pļaviņa-Mika
‘Efficient, knowledgeable, professional, and friendly. Simply a great local partner to help guide us in the Baltic markets.’
‘The team was supportive and fully involved in the issue. Paid large attention into details. Knowledgeable in the tech legal sector.’
‘Talented, professional and helpful individuals that together, as a team, provide us with the help we need given our operations across the Baltic markets.’
‘Straight-forward personalities with ability to self-manage. Very friendly communication approach.’
TV Play Baltics (TV3 Group company in Latvia)
All Media Latvia (TV3 Group company in Latvia)
Universal Music Group
Biedrība Papardes Zieds (non-governmental-organisation)
Astra Zeneca Latvija
Latvijas zāļu verifikācijas organizācija
- Advised an independent management organisation (IME) Soundreef S.p.A. on collective management law requirements with regard to IME operations.
- Representing Primekss, a concrete technology company, in a composite concrete flooring-related patent dispute where Primekss has sued construction companies for its patent misuse.
- Represented Universal Music Group, in negotiating a recording agreement with the X Factor Latvia 2021 competition finalists.
Lelde Laviņa; Jorens Jaunozols
Other key lawyers:
Viktorija Smirnova-Čerkasa; Andris Vilisons
‘Very experienced and highly competent legal team; attentive to clients’ needs and showing understanding of clients’s business requirements. Accessible on short notice.’
‘We recommend Jorens Jaunozols, Lelde Lavina and Andris Vilisons – a very experienced team with whom we have a close working relationship on an ongoing basis.’
Lords LB Baltic Fund III
Titanium Baltic Real Estate fund
Nordic Investment bank
A.C.B., Binders, and TIIC (Portugal)
- Advised Nordic Investment bank, an international financial institution; and Citadele banka, one of the leading banks in Latvia, on providing financing to AS PN Project, a company managed by Lords LB Asset Management, for construction of an office complex certified excellent by BREEAM in Riga.
- Advised Linstow on all of its large scale acquisitions (Sporta 2; Satekles Business Centre) and sales (hotel “Rīdzene”) during the last year.
- Advised Stockmann on the sale of its department-store properties in Tallinn and Riga to the investment arm of the Viru Keemia Grupp.
‘Sorainen shipping and transport practice consists of professionals with unique experience in complex cross-border matters. They are trusted advisers in widest range of shipping and transport matters.’
‘Partner Valts Nerets excellently leads the team. Associate Elvis Grinbergs has shown himself as true professional.’
RB Rail N
A.C.B., Binders, and TIIC (Portugal), who formed the Kekava ABT consortium
Ministry of Transport of the Republic of Latvia
Pilna Servisa Līzings
- Advised on the DBFM contract with the Latvian state for the Kekava bypass on the Via Baltica route.
- Advising RB Rail AS and working with the Governments of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania on establishing a European-width fast double-track Rail Baltica railway project.
- Represents Pilna Servisa Līzings, a company offering car hire services, in numerous contractual disputes with the State Police regarding the buy-out of rented vehicles.
Latvia > Tax Tier 1Sorainen chiefly advises on the tax aspects of major transactions, though also provides a range of tax advisory services, including transfer pricing assistance, support for high net worth individuals and representation in tax litigation. The team is led by Jānis Taukačs, who has first-hand industry experience working in tax consultancy. Further key names include corporate side tax specialist, Nauris Grigals, and counsel Aija Lasmane, a customs expert. Senior associate Dace Everte is also recommended.
Bolt Operations OU
Deutsche Telecom Latvian branch
Enterpreneurs for Peace Funds
Brabantia Latvia SIA
Titanium Rahastoyhtiö Oy
The joint lead managers Citigroup, Luminor Bank, Nordea and UniCredit
Airbus Flight Hour Services Limited
Baltic Wood Trade
- Advised Veho on the tax aspects of the acquisition of Domenikss, Mercedes-Benz general representative in Latvia.
- Advised Citadele banka on taxation matters related to issuing 200 EUR million in senior unsecured bonds.
- Advised Indexo IPAS on development and implementation of share option plan for the management and the employees of the company.
Latvia > Employment Tier 2Pan-Baltic firm Sorainen represent a range of multinational and regional clients. Eva Berlaus and new addition Nauris Grigals, who joined from TGS in February 2022, combine both corporate and employment law expertise. Andis Burkevics has considerable employment dispute resolution experience, with a particular focus on trade union matters. The team has acted on a number of significant disputes of late, including a dismissal case for the Freeport of Riga.
Andis Burkevics; Eva Berlaus
Other key lawyers:
‘I’m very happy with this firm’s services. They were quick and efficient.’
‘The team is very experienced and all its employment law experts are well known already for years. I am turning to Sorainen employment law experts in all cases the matter requires not only local but also EU level expertise.’
‘Reliable, practical advice.’
‘Sorainen assisted and represented our company well at the Labour Law Inspectorate in different situations.’
‘Andis Burkevics – very quick, precise, cooperative. Always available at short notice.’
‘I have mostly worked with Andis Burkevics. I appreciate his in-depth knowledge of all fields of employment law and his responsiveness to any request.’
‘Andis Burkevics – perfect knowledge of local labor law. Very detailed oriented. Kind, open person. He had never refused consultation if needed in different situation.’
Rīgas brīvostas pārvalde (Freeport of Riga)
Sandoz d.d. branch in Latvia
Ogras rajona slimnīca (Ogre regional hospital)
VMF Latvia SIA
- Represented Freeport of Riga in two employment disputes with an employee (one in relation to dismissal and the other regarding disciplinary penalty).
- Represented Ogres regional hospital in a court dispute when an employee challenged his suspension from work due to the reason that he as an employee employed by a hospital and required to work on-site refused from vaccination against Covid-19 and from regular testing as an alternative.
- Advised Sandoz d.d. branch on employee related Covid-19 restrictions.
Lithuania > Fintech Tier 1Sorainen has a strong reputation for assisting local start-ups, and the firm is regularly involved in licensing work and advising foreign clients on entrance into the Lithuanian market. The practice is jointly led by managing partner Tomas Kontautas, who is experienced in regulatory matters in the fintech field, and Augustas Klezys, an expert in EU licensing. Counsel Lina Ragainytė-Mezenė, who has first-hand in-house banking industry experience, is a key member of the department.
Tomas Kontautas; Augustas Klezys
Other key lawyers:
Lina Ragainytė-Mezenė; Liutauras Vasiliauskas
‘The team has an exceptional experience in fintech and financial regulatory matters. They have an up-to-date knowledge on this fast changing environment.’
‘The team is well experienced and knows the financial sector and how to operate with the Bank of Lithuania.’
‘Hands on professionals who are willing to work with you to find innovative solutions. Competent and easy to work with.’
‘Strong team with exceptional expertise in fintech sector. Wide offering of finance related advises/consultancy truly helps both young and mature fintech companies navigate regulatory requirements in AML, Compliance, Licensing and other related sectors.’
‘Sorainen has strong team of top-level professionals specializing in banking and finance, including fintech. They are open-minded, client focused, business orientated legal experts of the fintech-related matters able to consult on complex issues.’
‘Sorainen have a lot of energetic lawyers in this space, supported by their extensive knowledge in the financial services sector.’
‘Great access to partners. They have active contacts basically in all relevant authorities which makes processes smooth and efficient.’
‘Liutauras Vasiliauskas is the associate that we have worked with from inception of our business in Lithuania to working towards completing our goals there. He is very hands on and helps to answer questions and provide solutions in an easy to understand format.’
BEM Europe UAB (previously provided as Ben Labs Kft)
Sezzle Lithuania UAB
Nuvei Technologies Corporation
Verse Payments Lithuanian UAB
- Advised BEM Europe UAB, operating under the brand name Benker, on obtaining an electronic money institution license in Lithuania and on daily legal matters related to the launch of business.
- Advised Sezzle Lithuania on regulatory post-licensing matters, including qualification of payment services, AML, outsourcing and safeguarding issues.
- Advising Teslapay on regulatory matters related to an electronic money institution licence, as well as change of its management, control and other daily related questions.
Lithuania > TMT Tier 1Representing major technology giants Google and Microsoft, as well as venture capital funds and local Lithuanian media companies, Sorainen is undisputedly one of the top firms in TMT in the market. The firm is well placed to advise on sanctions compliance and other newer factors which have arisen in the Baltic markets since the invasion of Ukraine. The TMT team is headed by Laimonas Skibarka and Jonas Kiauleikis, who specialise in corporate transactions within this field, and Stasys Drazdauskas, an intellectual property and information technology expert. Associate Mindaugas Dominykas Baniulis is also a key part of the practice.
Laimonas Skibarka; Stasys Drazdauskas; Jonas Kiauleikis
Other key lawyers:
Mindaugas Dominykas Baniulis; Sidas Sokolovas
‘Strong industry knowledge of the telecommunications sector.’
‘Extensive experience in helping with legal issues in venture capital and private equity fields.’
‘Great single point of contact for all legal matters in Lithuania. No need to separately look for lawyers specializing in a certain area of the law – just contact your contact person and you will be introduced to the right person.’
‘Sidas Sokolovas has been assisting us and our clients on a range of telecom-related questions. He answers quickly, to the point and thoroughly. Great pleasure to work with!’
‘Very practical approach in helping us with complex business problems.’
‘Great communication skills, knowledge of their specific area, friendliness and level of professionalism.’
‘Special thanks to Mindaugas Baniulis of Sorainen Lithuania for great support and coordination of the matters.’
Bitė Lietuva No
Global PayTech Ventures
Vilnius International Film Festival Kino pavasaris
Open Circle Capital
- Advised venture capital firm Elephant VC on investing in Lithuanian start-up PVcase, a developer of software for solar power plants.
- Advised Open Circle Capital and Inventure on investing in marketing analytics and reporting start-up Whatagraph.
- Advising Google on its products and local operations, as well as on the implementation of Directive (EU) 2019/790 (known as the Copyright Directive) and Directive (EU) 2019/789 (known as the Retransmission Directive) in Lithuania.
Sorainen > Firm Profile
Four offices, one team
We are a fully integrated international business law firm with offices in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Belarus.
With 42 partners and more than 240 lawyers and tax specialists, we have the resources to support our clients on all business law and tax issues involving the Baltic States and Belarus. Founded in 1995, the firm has worked on many significant mandates for international and local clients.
|Corporate and M&A||Aku Sorainenemail@example.com||+372 6 400 910|
|Corporate and M&A||Laimonas Skibarkafirstname.lastname@example.org||+370 52 685 040|
|Competition & Regulatory||Kaupo Lepaseppemail@example.com||+372 6 400 939|
|Corporate and M&A||Eva Berlausfirstname.lastname@example.org||+371 67 365 014|
|Finance & Insurance||Tomas Kontautasemail@example.com||+370 52 685 040|
|Finance & Insurance||Kiryl Apanasevichfirstname.lastname@example.org||+375 17 306 2102|
Staff FiguresPartners : 42 Lawyers & tax advisers : 240+ Business services professionals : 100+
LanguagesEnglish Russian German French Polish Finnish Swedish Estonian Latvian Lithuanian
MembershipsIBA (International Bar Association) Estonian Bar Association Latvian Bar Association Lithuanian Bar Association
Supporting diversity by responding to individual needs
At Sorainen we believe that diversity breeds success, so it is essential to respond to the individual needs of our team members. With that in mind we are continuously developing and implementing solutions such as flexible work arrangements and alternative career path options.
Five of our lawyers are currently working remotely from Berlin, Brussels, London and Paris. Several people in recent years decided to take advantage of our temporary time-off arrangements, spending up to a year with their families or on their personal projects. Additionally, we recently introduced an alternative career path option for lawyers wishing to shift their focus from client projects to supporting colleagues with their practical working know-how and in the field of knowledge management.
Topics of work-life balance and flexible working approach are under active discussion and are also implemented in our firm’s procedures. We have a set of activities that support colleagues returning from parental leave – from part-time work arrangements to an environment allowing children being brought to work and family events. That way we can ensure that our clients are advised by happy and enthusiastic lawyers of different genders, nationalities and age groups.
At Sorainen, we are committed to making the world a better place. In order to make a difference, we support initiatives that we believe in.
Sorainen Estonia supports the international educational exchange organisation Youth for Understanding in Estonia, the annual “Let’s Do It” (“Teeme ära”) environmental clean-up campaign, Tartu University Hospital Children’s Foundation and the charity company MTÜ Naerata Ometi in addition to the “Let’s Donate Time“ („Annetame aega“) charity, which seeks to engage more people in charity initiatives. The Estonian office also has a long-standing cooperation with the Art Museum of Estonia, as well as Bethel’s Centre of Pastoral Care, which helps at-risk children and families.
Sorainen Latvia co-operates with and supports the activities of the Latvian Children’s Palliative Care Society. The Latvian office also takes part in the Santa Fun Run in Old Riga to raise funds for the rehabilitation of sick children.
Sorainen Lithuania supports the Vilnius International Film Festival “Kino Pavasaris”, and the staff take part in the annual “Let’s Do It” (“Darom”) environmental clean-up campaign.