Krogerus > Helsinki, Finland > Firm Profile
Krogerus > The Legal 500 RankingsKrogerus deals with international banking and finance transactions, including complex acquisition financings, derivatives issues and structured finance work. It is noted for its focus on high-profile project finance mandates in the renewable energy sector, specifically the financing of the construction and maintenance of Nordic wind farms. Another core area of expertise is real estate finance work, which it handles on behalf of German financial institutions. Practice head Päivi Toivari is known for her work in complex acquisitions transactions and corporate lending, while Heidi Kivenjuuri advises on leveraged finance, renewable energy-related project finance and real estate finance transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Large and dedicated team.’
‘Partner Heidi Kivenjuuri has very good knowledge of the industry and is easy to work with.’
‘We have a good relationship and work is efficient.’
‘Heidi Kivenjuuri is efficient and pays attention to detail.’
Nordea Bank Abp
National Australia Bank
Ilmatar Energy Oy
Cibus Nordic Real Estate AB
Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB
Danske Bank A/S
Lehto Group plc
- Advised Ilmatar Energy on long-term PPA backed project financing with Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken to fund the construction of its Voimamylly and Rasakangas wind farm projects totalling 73.8MW of installed capacity.
- Advised the arranger Mandatum Asset Management Ltd and certain other Sampo Group companies on a €40m private financing of European Directories BondCo S.C.A., a portfolio company of Triton Fund III.
- Acted as local counsel to Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken and National Australia Bank as lenders on Finnish law matters regarding the financing of a Nordic wind farm portfolio.
Finland > Capital markets Tier 1Krogerus provides full coverage to its international clients in the capital markets space, including advising on major IPOs, buybacks and debt issuances, public M&A, and public takeovers. It is additionally noted for its strength in regulatory work, acting for both major Finnish and international companies. Practice leader Tom Fagernäs is active in both the financial regulatory space and capital markets transactions, with a notable emphasis on debt and equity transactions. Managing partner Mårten Knuts often leads on major transactions and public M&A work, as well as takeovers. IPO, takeover and financial regulatory expert Paul Raade was promoted to partner in April 2021.
‘A top tier Finnish law firm, clearly among the top 3. However, Krogerus has a quite young team with an innovative approach without lacking the punch or the academic pedigree, also very much supported by Mårten Knuts.’
‘Tom Fagernäs is THE young Finnish capital markets lawyer. Paul Raade is another name to watch.’
‘Determined, helpful and pragmatic. Tom Fagernäs is a doer, he seeks to get things done, rather than boast about technicalities. Also, very fun to work with.’
‘The team has always delivered their promises even under very tight timelines.’
‘The knowledge the people have is just beyond excellent and the collaboration with them is easy.’
Kreate Group plc
Nordea Bank Abp
- Advised Kreate Group and its largest shareholder, Intera Partners, on the IPO of Kreate Group on the main list of Nasdaq Helsinki. The IPO included a primary offering of €12.5m and a secondary offering by Intera Partners and certain other sellers of €22.1m.
- Advised Adapteo plc on the voluntary tender offer for all shares in Adapteo by funds managed by Goldman Sachs.
- Advised Sampo plc on its issuance of €1bn Tier 2 subordinated notes, which Sampo issued to finance its acquisition of Hastings Group Holdings plc in a public tender offer.
Mika Ståhlberg; Sami Martola
‘Very flexible, professional and nice-to-work team who really cares your matter.‘
‘Very hands-on approach, always there, very capable in providing quality legal advice. Sami Martola and Jenni Teurokoski are the best talents we have worked with in the legal industry in Finland.’
‘Creative, efficient and reliable team.’
‘Krogerus are able to include Finnish top-tier experts on every subject area and bring them up to speed quickly for project specific matters.‘
‘Marcus Möller is one of the most commercially-minded lawyers in town.‘
Valamis Group Oy
Juuri Partners Oy
Sievi Capital plc
Pisla Group Oy
Instalco Holding AB
Fysios Group Oy
Ahlstrom Capital Ltd
Formica Capital AB
Investment AB Latour
Green Landscaping Group AB
- Advised Hartwall Capital, the largest shareholder of Konecranes, on the €4.3bn merger of Konecranes and Cargotec.
- Advised as lead counsel to Ardian on its acquisition of 100% of Nevel Oy from Finnish Vapo Oy.
- Advising the shareholders of Isojoen Konehalli on its sale to Grafton Group plc.
Marcus Möller; Joakim Jansson
‘The team we have been working with has shown a high level of dedication and reactivity throughout all transactions in which they assisted us.’
‘In addition to his in-depth knowledge of market practices in the real estate sector, particularly in the health care field, Pyry Somervuori demonstrates a business spirit and practicality that is highly appreciated in our transactions.’
‘They are very competent in analysing the situation and offering solutions. They also can reach good results with their arguments in negotiations.’
‘The knowledge and competence of Marcus Möller is outstanding. He has a business-oriented mindset combined with thorough legal expertise. This is valuable when analysing or negotiating new deals with the seller.’
‘Good working attitude and great service.’
‘Marcus Möller is a a solid leader of the team.’
AIP Asset Management
Avant Capital Partners Oy
AXA Real Estate Investment Managers Scandinavia AB
Catella Residential Investment Management GmbH
Hemsö Fastighets AB
Lehto Group Plc
Northern Horizon Capital
United Bankers plc
- Advised PATRIZIA AG on the acquisition of a residential property portfolio comprising 9 assets and 461 apartments from Taaleri.
- Advised AB Sagax on the divestment of a grocery store portfolio of 72 grocery stores to Cibus Nordic Real Estate AB.
- Advised A. Ahlström Kiinteistöt Oy, a subsidiary of Ahlström Capital, on its investment into Avain Yhtiöt.
Finland > Dispute resolution Tier 2Krogerus is a key name for banking and finance and M&A-related disputes, acting for international clients based in Europe, the US and Asia. It is also experienced in representing clients before disciplinary committees involving corporate offences, arbitration panels, and in internal investigations, especially in the construction and real estate sectors. Commercial arbitration and private enforcement specialist Kirsi Kannaste was appointed practice group head in April 2021, while Mikko Elonheimo focuses on IP, IT, construction and general commercial disputes. Thomas Kolster specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration in the international finance, trade and transport sectors.
‘Their flexibility has made it very easy to work with them. They always seem to have the right specialist for the task. Quick and professional.’
‘I have worked closely with Thomas Kolster. He is proactive and easy to work with. Always seems to understand what it is I need.’
‘Great commitment to the work and to building the relationship. Excellent availability, will bend over backwards to assist and always a pleasure to deal with.’
‘Kirsi Kannaste is an absolute pleasure to work with and very responsive. Thomas Kolster is very knowledgeable.’
‘Krogerus Attorneys Ltd has a reputation of being one the top commercial law firms in Finland. They are known for highly skilled partners and associates, to the point advice to the customers and practical solutions for complex legal issues. They have also good reputation to take “the extra mile” for their customers.’
‘I have mainly worked with Kirsi Kannaste and she fits completely into Krogerus’ reputation. I was mostly impressed with how quickly and thoroughly she and her team was able get to the core issues of the case(s) we have had. Just within a timeframe of a few days they were able to present their analyses of the case(s), risks & opportunities and strategies to go forward. Also their knowledge of the subject matters is impressive.’
‘The team was easy to approach, through and professional.’
Kiinteistö Oy Espoon sairaala
- Represented the city-owned real estate company Kiinteistö Oy Espoon sairaala regarding the development of hospital real estate in Espoo.
- Acted as administrator in the corporate restructuring proceedings of Nuorisosäätiö sr, a registered foundation.
- Represented Danske Bank A/S in defending against sanctions related claims from an OFAC SDN-listed Russian oligarch, who has sued all of the largest banks in Finland and is seeking to gain access to the EU banking system through his lawsuit.
Finland > Employment Tier 2The team at Krogerus is particularly strong in assisting Nordic and international clients with drafting director and employee agreements, representing clients in employment disputes and arbitration proceedings, and advising on mass redundancies and employee-related transactional work. It also provides niche advice regarding pensions. Practice head Carola Möller focuses on employment-related disputes and works alongside senior associate Emmi Mäkelä, who is an expert in day-to-day employment matters and executive agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Jenna Hallikainen; Emmi Mäkelä
‘Collaboration is very easy and the communication is very clear. I never have to wonder when I’m going to get a response back, they always respond very fast or let me know when they will get back to me.’
‘I value their knowledge especially in labour law and case law. I also value very highly their fast and clear responses. Especially Carola Möller and Jenna Hallikainen stand out. It’s always my great pleasure to work with them.’
Santander Consumer Finance
SE Mäkinen Logistics
- Advised Johnson Matthey in connection with the proposed closure of its subsidiary, Finex, and site in Kotka, Finland.
- Advised Fysios and its shareholders on over fifty buy-and-build transactions.
- Acted as lead counsel for Ardian, a French private investment company, on its acquisition of 100% of Nevel Oy from Finnish Vapo Oy.
Finland > EU and competition Tier 2Krogerus‘ experience ranges from advising on investigations by the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority, representing clients before the Market Court, merger control issues, abuse of dominance cases, and public procurement work. Its clients often operate in regulated markets including the healthcare and pharmaceuticals, energy and telecoms industries. Department co-heads Katri Joenpolvi and Leena Lindberg are both highly experienced in complex merger cases and handle antitrust compliance programmes, while Simo Autio focuses on antitrust and merger control work. Senior associate Tuulia Tanskanen is noted for her competition and state aid expertise, and antitrust and merger control proceedings expert Alina Böling was promoted to senior associate in 2021.
Katri Joenpolvi; Leena Lindberg
‘They are proactive, always give good advice and reminders. They are very competent and highly skilled. They have years of experience from competition law related matters. Very friendly also.’
‘Skilled and innovative experts who are also service-minded.’
‘Long-term cooperation and experience in the field. Innovative and skilful way of working.’
‘Very high professional performance.’
‘Great knowledge and capabilities.’
Valmet Technologies Oy
Isojoen Konehalli Oy
Abloy Oy (part of AssaAbloy)
Viking Line Abp
Finnish Food and Drink Industries’ Federation
- Represented Realia Group in the Market Court in a matter where the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority has proposed an infringement fine for alleged prohibited price co-operation in the real estate management market.
- Acted for Attendo in a competition investigation conducted by the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority (FCCA) concerning co-operation in bidding contests in the social and healthcare services market.
- Represented Isojoen Konehalli Oy in court proceedings following a proposal by the FCCA to impose a fine for alleged illegal resale price maintenance and an order to stop imposing a fixed price on its retailers in the company’s online store.
‘Practical, to the point advice.’
‘Kalle Hynönen is very knowledgeable, nice to work with and always gives a clear recommendation on the proposed course of action. I can always trust that he has the matter under control.’
Oy Hartwall Ab
FCG Finnish Consulting Group
Technology Industries of Finland
Herantis Pharma Plc.
- Advised Rabbit Films, a leading Finnish television and film production company, on copyright and trade mark licensing, copyright and trade mark clearance and trade mark prosecution matters.
- Advised Finland’s largest beverages company Hartwall (part of Royal Unibrew group), on trade mark and other IP matters as well as marketing law matters.
- Advised Mezzoforte Oy, provider of Finland’s largest and most popular online auction platform, Huutokaupat.com, before the market court in significant litigation concerning consumer rights on an online platform.
Finland > TMT Tier 2The ‘highly skilled‘ team at Krogerus is jointly lead by Kalle Hynönen and Mika Puittinen, who are experts in providing the full range of TMT advice to large Finnish companies. Juha-Pekka Katainen remains a highly regarded expert in IT-related disputes. The team has particular strength in advising on commercial contracts, outsourcing arrangements, tech-heavy procurements and digitalisation projects. It has also seen a notable recent expansion of data protection and privacy mandates under senior associate Saara Leino.
Kalle Hynönen; Mika Puittinen
‘Good knowledge of the subject matter and are able to provide services flexibly and in a timely manner.’
‘Mika Puittinen is trustworthy and competent, able to communicate well with clients.‘
‘The team has expertise not only in TMT matters but also is familiar with industry of the customer, especially as regards to damage compensation cases.’
‘They are good listeners in identifying clients’ needs, keeping up-to-date with the trends in ICT industry. Their drafts are easily adjustable to individual situations.’
‘A strong team which had the competency, skills and knowledge to help identify the need. They were attentive and were flexible and knew how to collaborate.’
‘Juha-Pekka Katainen and Essi Launonen are attentive, have the competency, skill and knowledge to help out diligently. Experienced within the field of practice and showing off great collaboration.’
‘They are the best among the good ones. Highly skilled people.’
‘Know-how of the matters that are important and related to the business.’
Psychotherapy Center Vastaamo
Lassila & Tikanoja plc
The Finnish Government Shared Services Centre for Finance and HR (Palkeet)
- Advised Psychotherapy Center Vastaamo on investigations and processes with authorities relating to a data breach in autumn 2020.
- Advised media and publishing group Otava on data protection and marketing law matters.
- Advised property maintenance service group Kotikatu on an extensive data protection project.
Finland > Tax Tier 3Krogerus focuses on tax-related work involving private equity, real estate and infrastructure transactions, and fund formation issues. The team has frequently assisted Nordic and European clients with inbound investments, capital market transactions and IPOs in the Finnish market. Practice leader Samu Lassila focuses on tax-related matters in relation to M&A and due diligence, while tax specialist Antti Lehtimaja covers M&A and financing work. Senior associate Vilma Piipponen acts on both international and domestic tax matters, including corporate income and transfer tax issues.
‘In-depth knowledge for complex matter; high professional standards; diverse team.’
‘I have been very happy with Samu Lassila and his team. As a tax director for a publicly listed corporation I need every now and then some in-depth support in more complex or non-ordinary tax matters, and could trust that where needed, Samu with is personal global network and his team is able to assist.’
‘I want to especially acknowledge the work of Antti Lehtimaja, who has been instrumental in supporting with the registration of a new branch office of ours in Finland, successfully managing a tax dispute that arose in the first year of operations.’
‘Krogerus’ tax team is proactive and they have wide range of experience they utilise in daily work. This makes them efficient and they provide value to their clients and counterparts.’
‘Very responsive. Technically and commercially astute advice in relation to real estate and infrastructure.’
‘Antti Lehtimaja has a solution-oriented, pragmatic approach to complex tax matters.’
- Advised VIA equity and the state-owned investment company Finnish Industry Investment Ltd on their divestment of Profit Software to Volpi Capital.
- Advised Kreate and Intera on the IPO of Kreate on the official list of Nasdaq Helsinki.
- Advised the shareholders of Isojoen Konehalli on its sale to Grafton Group plc for a consideration of ca. €200m on a cash and debt free basis.
Krogerus > Firm Profile
The firm: Krogerus is one of the leading business law firms in Finland, advising Finnish and international clients in a broad spectrum of transactional, dispute resolution and regulatory matters. The firm is particularly apt at issues that pertain to the energy, finance, food and beverage, healthcare, real estate, technology and communications sectors. Krogerus is regularly retained in some of the most challenging and high-profile assignments in the market.
|Banking and finance||Päivi Toivari|
|Capital markets and securities||Tom Fagernäs|
|Commercial contracts and outsourcing||Mika Puittinen|
|Competition and regulatory||Katri Joenpolvi|
|Corporate advisory||Marko Vuori|
|Dispute resolution||Mikko Elonheimo|
|Employment and benefits||Carola Möller|
|Intellectual property||Kalle Hynönen|
|Mergers and acquisitions||Mika Ståhlberg|
|Private equity||Sami Martola|
|Real estate and construction||Marcus Möller|
|Restructuring and insolvency||Hannu Ylönen|
|Technology and data protection||Mika Puittinen|
|Mr Simo Autio||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Mikko Elonheimo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Tom Fagernäs||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Ville Hailikari||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Kalle Hynönen||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Katri Joenpolvi||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Kirsi Kannaste||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Juha Pekka Katainen||Managing Partner||View Profile|
|Dtr Mårten Knuts||Managing Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Sami Laine||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Samu Lassila||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Antti Lehtimaja||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Leena Lindberg||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Sami Martola||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Carola Möller||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Marcus Möller||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Mika Puittinen||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Mika Ståhlberg||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Mikko Tiilikka||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Päivi Toivari||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Heikki Vesa||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Marko Vuori||Partner||View Profile|