Shahid Law Firm > Cairo, Egypt > Firm Profile
Shahid Law Firm Offices
20B, ADLY STREET
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Client Testimonials
- Comparative Guides
Shahid Law Firm > The Legal 500 RankingsShahid Law Firm advises clients through all stages of transactions including due diligence and drafting and negotiating contracts. Corporate restructuring, capital matters as well as compliance further form part of the team’s services, which are often enlisted by multinational companies operating in Egypt. Venture by Shahid, a department launched in 2019, also provides corporate and commercial advice specifically to start-ups. Corporate expert Jacqueline Saad specialises in the pharmaceutical, healthcare, tourism, and transportation sectors. Saad heads the team with Michael Boutros and Rehan Elbashary, who was promoted to partner in January 2021.
Jacqueline Saad; Michael Boutros; Rehan El-Bashary
‘Shahid Law Firm has a team of professionals that understand the business needs and the legal regulations.’
Business Boomers LLC
Ceva Santé Animale S.A.
Egyptian Iron & Steel Company
Gemini Enterprises Africa
Heliopolis Company for Housing and Development
Hengtong Group Co., Ltd.
Netflix IO Productions LLC, Netherlands
Pladis Global/Yildiz Holding
Queen’s Gambit Growth Capital
R-Pharm Holding LLC
Red Sea for Investment & Touristic Development
Regina Food Group
Sawari Ventures North Africa Fund I Cooperatief U.A
Xiaomi HK Limited.
- Advised the Egyptian Iron & Steel Company *EISC”; an affiliate of Metallurgical Industries Holding Co. in relation to its demerger plan to pin-out mining and quarrying business from its other activities.
- Represented NI Capital in acquiring 100% of Alarabya online for brokerage (a company operating in the brokerage field – non-banking financial services).
- Successfully assisted R-Pharm with the establishment of its presence in Egypt.
Girgis Abd El-Shahid; Tarek Badawy
Other key lawyers:
‘My primary interaction has been with Tarek Badawy, working alongside he and his supporting team in relation to a major international arbitration. The Shahid Law Firm has a very strong track record in successfully bringing and recovering damages in large, complex, international cases and brings a very thorough and sophisticated approach to dispute resolution. The Team is also very pragmatic and flexible, and comfortable with risk sharing.’
‘Tarek Badawy (Partner). Tarek is a high integrity, extremely impressive, dual-qualified dispute resolution lawyer who is also very easy to get along with, and creative.’
‘We have been especially impressed with Tarek Badawy who is excellent in all respects.’
‘The legal team at Shahid Law Firm have never failed to disappoint us, they are a hardworking and tactically astute team whose heavy focus is always on client care, ensuring that advice and support is always available. Our company can’t recommend them enough, to any potential client looking to join, please do not hesitate to do so!’
‘There is no other Egyptian law firm with the demonstrated track record of success that Shahid Law Firm has, including in particular in investment treaty arbitrations. They can and do handle all sizes and types of arbitrations throughout North Africa and the Middle East.’
‘Girgis Ab El-SHahid is a leader in every sense of the word. An outstanding advocate and excellent strategist.’
Arab Company for Touristic Project ( owner of Cairo Sheraton Hotel )
CTIP Oil & Gas
Doosan Heavy Industries and Construction
Tantalum International Ltd
Amre Reda Ginena and Houssam Reda Ginena
PTT Energy Resources Company Limited (“PTTER”)
Confederation of African Football (“CAF”)
Gesenu S. p.A
- Successfully defended the CAF against Lagardère Sports (“Lagardère”) in ICC Emergency Arbitration proceedings initiated by Lagardère in connection with the termination of a 28-year USD 1 Billion contract for the commercial exploitation of CAF Competitions; the dispute on the merits remains ongoing.
- Representing CTIP Oil & Gas UAE in a case in which the client and National Gas S.A.E., CTIP’s Egyptian subsidiary and Egypt’s petroleum regulatory authority, commonly referred to as the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) entered into an agreement for the Transmission of Natural Gas to Residential, Commercial and Industrial Areas and Power Stations in the Governorate of Sharkeya.
- Represented Doosan Heavy Industries and Constructions in a case where it is believed that, for the first time, an Egyptian court has recognized and enforced an interim measures order issued by a foreign arbitral tribunal–in an ICC dispute between a South Korean industrial group and the developer of Damietta port in northern Egypt that ended in a more than USD72 million award.
Sarwat Abd El-Shahid; Nabil El-Bedewy; Girgis Abd El-Shahid
‘The legal team at Shahid Law Firm have never disappointed us, they are a hardworking and tactically astute team whose heavy focus is always on client care, ensuring that advice and support is always available.’
‘The individuals at Shahid are very reliable and efficient and have a lot of experience in their field. From when Shahid have been representing us, the individuals have always wanted the best for us, they have exceptional knowledge and experience dealing with situations on an informed and proactive basis, which in return ensures that we as clients receive the most effective outcome.’
Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Company
Libyan Foreign Bank
PTT Energy Resources Company Limited
International Air Transport Association
Middle East Broadcasting Center
Bigo Technology Pte. Ltd.
QAPCO & Qatofin
Egypt > Employment Tier 1Shahid Law Firm advises a host of national and multinational clients on the entire spectrum of employment law issues, from drafting contracts and HR handbooks to M&A employment matters. Assistance compensation packages, due diligence reports and the handling of negotiations with labour unions also comprise part of the team’s activities. In the last year, the practice was especially occupied with Covid-19 related employment queries, such as redundancies and layoffs. Nabil El-Bedewy leads the practice and specialises in the supervision and handling of employment disputes, while co-head Rasha Maurice has extensive knowledge of Egyptian labour and social insurance legislation.
Ariston Thermo Group
BIMA Egypt Insurance Broker
China Shipping Egypt SAE
F. Hoffmann La Roche AG
Intesa Sanpaolo Representative Office in Egypt
Roche Diagnostics Egypt for Trading SAE
- Advising Ariston on the whole shut down of their Representative Office in Egypt and the redundancy process to be carried out with respect to the local employees in addition to assisting Ariston to transfer their current employees to Ariston Thermo Egypt LLC and opening a social insurance file for the said entity.
- Providing legal advice for TTEC on various labour, and social insurance matters. Preparing drafts of employment contracts for the staff to be hired by the newly incorporated company in Egypt. Advising TTEC on the statutory measures to be undertaken by the Company as a result of COVID-19 and the mechanism of applying these measures on its employees.
- Advising Globeleq on the provisions of the Egyptian Labour Law, drafting employment contracts for the Company’s staff, who will be transferred from a local acquired company to a O&M company, which will be established by Globeleq in Egypt and advising Globeleq on the transfer of employment of the said employees from one local entity to the other in accordance to the provisions of the Egyptian Labour Law.
Egypt > TMT Tier 1The Technology, Media and Telecommunications practice at Shahid Law Firm is a key player in this area, with a client portfolio that includes Nokia and Netflix. With the launch of Venture by Shahid in 2019, the firm has also established its own department exclusively focused on advising start-ups. Tarek Badawy constitutes one half of the practice lead and is regularly involved in regulatory, privacy-related, anti-trust, and competition matters in addition to broadcasting disputes and contractual work. Sameh Attia is the second practice head with a focus on domestic and international arbitration and litigation. Rehan Elbashary is also active in the area.
Tarek Badawy: Sameh Attia
‘My contact at Shahid Law is Tarek Badawy: he is excellent. His advice is clear, straight to the point and does not shy away from drawing clear-cut conclusions when possible. His English is perfect and feedback is provided very promptly.’
Confederation of African Football (“CAF”)
Middle East Broadcasting Center (MBC) and O3 Productions
Queen’s Gambit Growth Capital
Neflix IO Productions LLC, Netherlands
Statsbomb Services Limited
Business Boomers for E-Commerce LLC
- Represented the Confederation of African Football against LagardèreSports in ICC Emergency Arbitration proceedings initiated by Largardère in connection with the termination of a 29-year USD 1 Billion contract for the commercial exploitation of CAF Competitions; and act for CAF before the COMESA Competition Commission in the first investigation involving the sports media industry.
- Advised Queen’s Gambit Growth Capital from an Egyptian law standpoint on its business combination with Swvl.
- Successfully defended ThomsonReuters in one of the most important media broadcasting cases before the Administrative Court, in relation to an attempt to closethe Thomason Reuters office in Egypt and put an end to professional activities spanning 70+ years.
Egypt > Banking and finance Tier 2Shahid Law Firm’s banking and finance practice has an excellent reputation for handling bank guarantees, syndicated loans as well as insolvencies and is praised by a client for its ‘good relationship with regulatory bodies’. Strengths of the practice further relate to project finance in energy and infrastructure, bond offerings, and IPOs. The team is also experienced acting for borrowers and lenders in matters pertaining to aircraft financing, where partner and co-head Tarek Badawy is particularly active. He leads the practice together with managing partner Girgis Abd El-Shahid whose expertise spans equity finance, financial structuring, and facility loans.
Girgis Abd El-Shahid; Tarek Badawy
Other key lawyers:
Hoda El Beheiry
‘This practice is particularly skilled in the banking & finance practice, and they also have a good relationship with regulatory bodies (such as Ministries and authorities) so they have a deep knowledge not only of the legal aspects but also of the technical requirements, everything related with “paperwork” and operational issues, etc.’
‘We work mainly with partner Tarek Badawy and with associate Hoda El Beheiry. I would highlight their coordination (i.e. no need to repeat the same thing to different professionals, etc).’
OiLibya (now OLA petroleum)
Heliopolis Housing and Development Company
China Development Bank
AlDahra Agricultural Company
Louis Dreyfus Company (LDC)
International Air Transport Association (IATA)
ABC Bank (Arab Banking Corporation)
King & Wood Mallesons
El Nasr Automotive Manufacturing Company SAE (NASCO)
Banco Santander S.A.
Banco de Sabadell, S.A .
Caixabank , S.A.
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A.
- Representing UK Export Finance and several creditors in aircraft and engine financing transactions in Egypt, as par t of EgyptAir’s plan to renew its aircraft arsenal; as well as the mortgaging of engines in what to the best of our knowledge is the first transaction of this type in Egypt.
- Advised the China Development Bank with respect to the financing of the largest project with Egypt’s Suez Special Economic Zone, a zone created specifically to encourage investment under a special law.
- Advising FMO (the Dutch development bank) on the first three-year Egyptian pound (EGP) loan facility for the equivalent of USD 700,000, entered into with the First Microfinance Company Egypt (FMFC), which will be used to extend loans to female and young entrepreneurs.
Egypt > Energy Tier 2Shahid Law Firm advises clients on conventional energy in upstream, midstream and downstream projects as well as on renewable and alternative energies. Financier and investors benefit from the firm’s longstanding presence in the market and its expertise in areas such as finance, corporate, and environmental law. Clients also turn to Shahid in matters of energy disputes, which is one of the arbitration team’s focus points. Managing partner Girgis Abd El-Shahid heads the energy and projects practice with experience in regulatory, corporate, and dispute matters.
Girgis Abd-El Shahid
‘Well established team with leading lawyers who are well connected and plugged into market developments in Egypt. Diverse team, including several female lawyers.’
‘Girgis Abd-El Shahid very knowledgeable of the energy sector in Egypt and up to speed on recent developments. Able to offer practical advice on structuring transactions and dealings with governmental bodies.’
Carlyle International Energy Partners
Globeleq Africa Limited
EDF International Network
PTT Energy Resources Company Limited (PTTER)
- Representing PTTER in a claim brought before the Egyptian court that is based entirely on a bilateral investment treaty. PTTER is one of several shareholders in EGM, a company set up to export Egyptian natural gas to Israel and other neighbouring States, to sue Egypt following the termination of a gas supply agreement EMG signed with Egyptian state entities and the expropriation of the shareholders’ investments.
- Advising Sandvik, an international company in the oil and gas sector, on Egpytian regulatory requirements related to its divestiture of the majority of Drilling and Completions (Varel). The transaction triggers a write-down of goodwill and other intangible assets in the estimated amount of USD 3,900 million SEK (USD 400 million), to be reported in Sandvik’s financial statements.
- Advising Voltalia on the implementation of the local security related to their PV power facility in Egypt, as well as on the engineering, procurement and construction regulatory and labour requirements of the project.
Shahid Law Firm > Firm Profile
I. Firm Overview
Shahid Law Firm (“SLF”) was established in 1987 by Counselor Sarwat Abd El-Shahid after serving as a judge and State Counselor for nearly two decades. Since its inception, the firm has grown to include over 100 lawyers, fee earners, and support staff and has become one of the leading international law firms operating in Egypt and the region. Such credit, undoubtfully, is largely due to its lawyers’ vast experience, industry insight, and ability to combine their understanding of complex legal matters with a practical solution-oriented approach.
SLF’s strength lies in our understanding of our clients’ commercial needs which, coupled with our detailed knowledge of the legal systems in which we operate, longstanding experience in transactions and the resolution of disputes, as well as our close ties to other leading firms in the region and beyond, ensures that our clients can obtain the best services they need. We value people with a “client-first” mindset, excellent communication skills, appreciation for cultural differences, and an ability to work effectively as team players.
SLF has become the first major Egyptian law firm to expand into the East African market through the signing of an affiliation agreement with the leading and much respected counterparts, Meseret and Associates Law Office (Ethiopia) and Yousra Y. M. Elhassam Badi – Advocate (Sudan). Through its affiliate offices in Ethiopia and Sudan as well as its contacts in Western and Southern Africa, SLF began expanding its reach throughout the African continent.
II. Main Areas of Practice
Anti-Trust, Anti-Corruption, & Competition
- Representing large multinationals in merger filings and investigations before the Egyptian Competition Authority (“ECA”) and the COMESA Competition Commission.
- Acting for a continental sports association in a multi-million-dollar arbitration involving a cross border contract.
- Successfully defend a European Sports Marketing and Broadcasting Company in an anti-trust investigation by the COMESA Competition Commission relating to the broadcasting of a major international sporting event.
- Advise several pharmaceutical, oil and gas, and finance companies on matters pertaining to disclosures and anti-trust investigations by the ECA.
- Acting for leading European banks and export credit agencies in the USD 130 Million cross-border refinancing of the purchase of three (3) Airbus 320 neo aircraft ultimately operated by Egypt’s national carrier. The transaction was the first of its kind in the Egyptian aviation market given its complex structure, as it involved the sale, leasing.
- Representing Turkish Airlines in several litigation cases before courts of a wide range of instances and degrees.
- Representing Qatar Airways in several litigation cases before courts of a wide range of instances and degrees.
- Counseling an aviation company with regard to a multi-million-dollar insurance claim to which it was entitled following an aircraft accident in an African state.
- Advising XL London Market Ltd, a subsidiary of XL Catalin including XL in relation to a total loo of an aircraft in the area of Sharm El-Sheikh.
Banking & Finance
- Acting as Borrower’s local counsel to Banque Misr SAE in its largest-ever syndication to date worth approximately USD 1.2 Billion, involving 22 banks from 11 countries, including banks from the USA, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
- Acting for a group of leading Spanish Banks in the cancellation and registration of a Euro 20 million pledge of shares owned in Arabian Cement Company, one of the leading cement companies operating in Egypt.
- Advising China Development Bank with respect to the financing of the largest project with Egypt’s Suez Special Economic Zone, a zone created specifically to encourage investment under a special law.
- Advising Voltalia on the implementation of the local security related to their PV power facility in Egypt, as well as on the engineering, procurement and construction regulatory and labour requirements of the project.
- Advising Unilever on the merger of its 5 local entities into one surviving entity, our role included advising Unilever to take all the necessary procedures before the General Authority for Investment and Free Zones (“GAFI”) and the other relevant authorities to implement this merger. This was an extremely complex merger process as it included dealings with various regulators and several entities in different governorates.
- Acting for Egyptian Iron & Steel Company, an affiliate of Metallurgical Industries Holding Co., in relation to its demerger plan. The Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA) approved, to publish the Disclosure Form related to EISC’s board demerger decision and to call for an extraordinary general meeting to approve the horizontal demerger of the Company’s mining and quarrying business from its other activities.
- Acting for NI Capital in acquiring 100% of Alarabya online for brokerage (a company operating in the brokerage field – non-banking financial services).
- Advising Heliopolis Company for Housing and Development on its successful EGP 222.51 million capital increase through the issuance of 890.05 million shares from retained earnings and obtaining all regulatory approvals including FRA, MCDR and the stock exchange and advising on all EGX disclosure requirements and other corporate governance rules related to listed companies.
- Advising Hengtong, a Chinese power and fibre optic cable manufacturer, in connection with its corporate restructuring via complex capital increase procedures and debt restructuring before SCZone which should be one of the first debt restructuring deals before Suez Canal Economic Zone.
- Representing Emaar Misr on several corporate and disclosure requirements and assisting with corporate governance rules related to listed companies.
- Representing GSK Egypt (The target Company) owned by its majority shareholder on all disclosure requirements and procedures related to mandatory tender offer over GSK Egypt shares.
- Advising Azura on a complex capital increase procedure via debt-to-equity conversion, while complying with all minority rights for the transaction and obtaining all required governmental approvals and publication in extremely tied deadline.
- Acting as the buy-side legal advisor on the purchase of B Investments Holdings’s shares in Béard SA.
EPC & Real Estate
- Advising various EPC contractors on the structuring and set up of their presence in Egypt, as well as on any required registration with the competent governmental bodies for carrying out EPC activities in the context of the First Regulatory Period 2015-2017 of the feed-in tariff (FiT) program launched by the Egyptian Ministry of Electricity.
- Conducting a legal audit on one of the largest co-development projects located in East Cairo between one of the biggest publicly listed Egyptian real estate conglomerates and the largest real estate public enterprise company.
- Advising the Egyptian Housing and Development Bank with respect to its recent investments in real estate projects.
- Advising a Fortune 200 world leading power company on the construction, procurement, design, and financing under Egyptian law following the company’s pre-qualification by the Egyptian Electricity Authority to submit a proposal for the development of two BOOT 325 MW steam cycle units capable of firing natural gas and fuel oil in Sidi Krir, Egypt.
- Advising a major Saudi developer on its development of one of Cairo’s biggest residential, commercial and leisure complexes.
- Advising multiple regional Real Estate Developers, including Qatari Diar, Emaar and Ras El-Kheima Authority in all of the affairs associated with their real estate investments in Egypt.
- Assisting various multinationals, including UNICHARM Corporation, GSK, and TKIS in matters related to their manufacturing facilities and their associated property (registration, allocation agreements, etc.) with various authorities.
- Acting as co-counsel for Claimant in the matter between Hussain Sajwani, DAMAC Park Avenue for Real Estate Development S.A.E., and DAMAC Gamsha Bay for Development S.A.E. against Arab Republic of Egypt.
Dispute Resolution – Arbitration
- Successfully defended the Confederation of African Football (“CAF”) against Lagardère Sports (“Lagardère”) in ICC Emergency Arbitration proceedings initiated by Lagardère in connection with the termination of a 28-year USD 1 Billion contract for the commercial exploitation of CAF Competitions.
- Representing a major Saudi investor in two CRCICA arbitrations, filed against one of the biggest Egyptian publicly listed conglomerates providing financial services in the region related to cross-border major transactions involving acquisition of shares and debt equity agreements.
- Acting as co-counsel for one of the biggest cement conglomerates against the Arab Republic of Egypt over the distortion of the cement market in Egypt, and unfair competition by state-owned enterprises.
- Acting as co-counsel for a major investor in a mid-stream gas company with respect to an ICC dispute against the heirs of an Egyptian entrepreneur arising out of agreements related to share transactions.
- Acting as counsel for a major regional media company in a multi-million-dollar dispute cluster involving arbitration and litigation under UAE law, concerning breaches of a number of licensing and broadcasting agreements.
- Acting as co-counsel to Gesenu S.p.A against the Arab Republic of Egypt before ICSID over the expropriation (among other things) of its business in Egypt.
- Representing investors before the Ministerial Committee for the Resolution of Investment Disputes in disputes concerning expropriation and rightful ownership of mass areas of lands.
- Acting for Tantalum International Ltd and Emerge Gaming Ltd. (Australian) in arbitration is about the unlawful measures that the Egyptian State took against certain Australian investments in two mining projects: a gold exploration project at Wadi Allaqi and a tantalum/tin/feldspar mining project at Abu Dabbab. The investments were made by two Australian companies, Gippsland Ltd. (later re-named Arrowhead Resources Ltd) and its subsidiary Tantalum International Limited.
- Acting for international investors, including CTIP Oil & Gas International Limited, DAMAC Properties, PTTER, EMG and their shareholders, against the Arab Republic of Egypt in the arbitration/litigation disputes before ICSID, UNCITRAL, and local courts under various bilateral investment treaties entered into by
- Advising the Egyptian General Co. For Tourism and Hotels “EGOTH” in its negotiation and eventual execution of EGP 1.4 billion co-development and financing agreement with the Saudi Al-Sharif Group Holding for the development of the historic Shepheard Hotel, bringing back to life one of Egypt’s iconic hotels following the suspension of its operations in 2013.
- Representing a Canadian upstream Oil & Gas company in two CRCICA arbitrations arising out of contract for the provision of drilling and overwork rig.
- Successfully representing Abbott in an arbitration filed against Egyptian International Medical Center E.I.M.C. and North Africa Holding Company. The arbitration is before the Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration, governed by Egyptian law, based on the breach of a Distributorship Agreement for certain medical products.
- Successfully representing a leading video game developer, in connection with a CRCICA arbitration based on the breach of the Short Code Provision Agreement.
- Representing a hotel owner in various arbitration cases relating toa number of construction contracts (FIDIC).
- Acting as local co-counsel for a major Japanese trading company in disputes under the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) and the Grain and Feed Trade Association (GAFTA) relating to a number of sale
- Representing hotel owners or hotel management companies in various arbitration cases relating to various hotel management agreements.
- Representing an Egyptian construction company against a container terminal of one of the Egyptian ports in an arbitration concerning the building of a commercial warehouse (FIDIC); successfully steering negotiations into a successful settlement.
- Acting for a major Korean heavy industries company in all disputes associated with a contract (FIDIC) entered into with the international consortium responsible for the building and operation of one of the Egyptian ports. with successful enforcement of interim measures before the Egyptian courts.
- Representing one of the leading companies in the construction industry in an arbitration under the CRCICA rules relating to a construction contract (“FIDIC”) regarding the renovation of an international school.
- Representing an owner of a mega corporate and residential complex project in a construction arbitration concerning the completion of concrete works of the project’s first phase.
- Acting as local co-counsel for a major Japanese trading company in disputes under the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (“SIAC”) and the Grain and Feed Trade Association (“GAFTA”) relating to a number of sale contracts.
Dispute Resolution – Litigation
- Acting for Doosan Heavy Industries and Construction, for what is believed to be the first time an Egyptian court has recognized and enforced an interim measures order issued by a foreign arbitral tribunal in an ICC dispute.
- Representing PTT Energy Resources, a Thai company, in a USD Billion dispute involving the breach of a bilateral investment treaty in the first ever BIT claim brought before Egyptian courts. The case is part of a series of four arbitrations brought by the shareholders of East Mediterranean Gas (“EMG”), which were ultimately settled with the Egyptian government.
- Representing MBC in a number of litigation cases before courts of a wide range of instances and Some of the latest successes include defending the client against multiple attempts of staying the airing of one of the most widely viewed television shows during the month of Ramadan.
- Representing IATA in the dispute filed by Metro Tourism, Travel Agent (“Metro”), requesting review of accounts associated with the issuance of air travel tickets, which Metro defaulted in payment.
- Representing certain Libyan banks in the dispute against other local banks, with respect to an imposed precautionary attachment on funds, shares and bonds of the Libyan banks, amounting to US$261,371,715.
- Representing Qatari Diar’s subsidiary Bawabet Al Sharq against a fine of EGP 1.38 billion imposed by the New Urban Communities Authority allegedly identified as a “change of control fine”.
- Representing GlaxoSmithKline (“GSK”) in all of its tax claims against the Minister of Finance with respect to wrong practices applied by the Ministry of Finance on the pharma industry. Our representation and defenses set legal precedents that are now applied by the Ministry when dealing with the pharma sector.
- Representing L’azurde Company for Jewelry in their criminal breach of trust complaints, resulting from failure by various trustees to honor their obligations.
- Representing Bigo Technology Pte. Ltd. and its detained employees in the investigations conducted by the Public Prosecution due to the remarks of an internet celebrity, who has been suspected of organized human trafficking and other crimes, as well as representing Bigo and its detained employees before court in the consequent criminal proceedings.
- Representing Nokia in several litigations in Egypt, ranging from labour, commercial, to civil matters.
Energy, Projects, Infrastructure, Oil & Gas
- Acting as local legal advisor to EDF Renouvelables, ElSewedy Electric, Scatec Solar and Voltalia on the structuring and re-structuring of their project companies for the development of 425MW solar projects under Round 2 of the Egyptian Feed-In Tariff (FIT) program.
- Acting for one of the potential bidders for the acquisition of Shell entire onshore Oil & Gas concessions, estimated at around USD 1 Billion.
- Acting for a Global Renewable Energy Player in acquiring 100% shares and economic interest in 2 solar project companies operating under the Egyptian FIT program in Benban. The project is jointly financed by IFC, CDC & AIIB.
- Advising an investment company on the acquisition of a dry bulk port in Egypt, structuring the acquisition transaction, and the financing of the project in a multi-million USD.
- Advising EDF International Network on the potential Joint venture between Egyptian French Electricity Distribution Company and the New Administrative Capital for Urban Development (“ACUD”) for the distribution of electricity to the New Administrative Capital.
- Acting for NASCO in the landmark “Electric Vehicles manufacturing and assembly project” in collaboration with the Chinese automobile manufacturer ‘Dongfeng’, which marks the country’s position as one of the first in the region introducing a battery-powered vehicles market.
- Advising a leading independent power producer operating and developing power projects in Africa on the acquisition of two projects under the solar FIT programme with a capacity of 75MW with transaction documents governed by Egyptian, English, and Dutch laws.
- Representing Engineering Automotive, Manufacturing Co. (“EAMCO”), an affiliate to the Ministry Public Business Sector, in signing a cooperation agreement with “Brightskies Company” to locally develop and manufacture primary components of electric vehicles. This agreement comes within the framework of Egyptian government direction to expand on using electric vehicles, and to localize this growing industry in Egypt. The aim is to boost the local production of power units, electrical control systems and the installation of vehicles engines. The produced systems shall serve all market needs of different models, varying from private cars to mass transit buses.
- Acting for Globeleq in this multiple-layered transaction structure, which involved the acquisition of the entire shares and economic rights of ARC, on the onshore level, and its parent company on the offshore level. The project, developed under a 25 year power purchase agreement with EETC as an offtaker, is financed by major financial institutions, including the International Finance Corporation (“IFC”), CDC Group (“CDC”) and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (“AIIB”).
- Advising BG Group on the development of a new cross-border pipeline from Israel to Egypt to allow gas from the Leviathan field offshore Israel to be liquefied in an Egyptian LNG facility.
- Acting as local co-counsel for one of the IOCs in connection with the acquisition of a substantial interest in the Al-Zohr Oil Field, which, if closed, would have possibly been the largest oil and gas-related acquisition in the region.
- Advising a US Based Investment Fund on the contemplated bid process for the acquisition of Shell’s Divestment of its onshore assets/interests in fifteen (15) onshore Concession Agreements, and twenty-two (22) related Development Leases and Exploration Blocks in Western Desert (including the Badr El-Din and Obaiyed area).
- Representing a Norwegian Oil and Gas company in the bidding process for the acquisition of a 50% share in an existing oil concession.
- Advising Edison in relation to the unitisation of one of its producing oil fields in Egypt, and in the large midstream facilities’ sharing operation comprising the transfer by BG Group and Edison of the right of use of Rosetta onshore facilities to BP and RWE, as of mid- 2016; and also providing legal advice and continuing to represent client in the acquisition of additional concessional interests.
- Advising the largest independent natural gas producer in Russia, on the acquisition of a well-established upstream petroleum company operating in the Western Desert of Egypt.
- Advising Varel, an international company in the oil and gas sector, on Egyptian regulatory requirements related to its divestiture of the majority of Drilling and Completions. The transaction triggers a write-down of goodwill and other intangible assets in the estimated amount of USD 3,900 million SEK (USD 400 million).
- Advising Halliburton on the divestment of part of its business in connection with its USD 28 billion merger with Baker Hughes, notably on the transfer of explosives and radioactive materials’ licenses. The deal was called off later as it encountered opposition from American regulators over anti-competition concerns.
- Advising Seadrill on several questions of Egyptian law in relation to the bareboat charter of one of their rigs for a project in Egypt.
- Advising Vegas Oil & Gas S.A. in the multi-million-dollar sale to a Chinese company of certain assets of the independent oil and gas exploration and production group in Egypt, particularly with respect to the unitization of oil and gas fields, the indirect assignment of rights under a concession agreement, matters of cost recovery and anti-trust notifications.
- Advising Bupa International on the application of Egyptian laws relating to the marketing and sale of international private medical insurance over the internet.
- Representing a group of re-insurers in the context of their settlement of a multi-dollar insurance claim in the course of their negotiations with the Cairo Electricity Company and the Egyptian Electricity Holding Company.
IP, IT, Media & Telecoms
- Acting as expert witness in a multi-million-dollar investor-state dispute [ICSID rules] involving a large media
- Advising leading internet companies on compliance with Egyptian media and telecom
- Representing the world’s leading news agency in multiple proceedings before various types of
- Advising various internet companies on the licensing and operational requirements for the installation of subsea cables in Egyptian territorial waters.
- Handling the restructuring and the establishment of a tech start-up in the name of Minly for Technology Services. Minly presents a platform for fans to book personalized videos from their favourite celebrities in the Middle East.
- Advising Nokia on Egyptian laws & regulations in relation to erecting and licensing telecom towers on behalf of its telecom customers; the supply of telecommunications equipment, and disputes relating to the supply of telecom equipment.
- Advising a multinational consumer goods company on technology-related laws (electronic commerce, website licensing, and cybercrimes) and the newly promulgated Egyptian Personal Data Protection Law, while highlighting the significant differences between the Egyptian Personal Data Protection Law and the European Union General Data Protection Regulation.
- Assisting Vitabiotics Egypt with several counterfeit and misrepresentation complaints leading to the shutting down of several counterfeit pages on various social media platforms.
- Advising a leading software and information technology service provider, in connection with providing certain services through its Egyptian subsidiary, hence it requested our assistance. We assisted the client in providing guidance and offering advice, under Egyptian law, for the Local Subsidiary which intends to offer its data center services, end-user tech support and day-to-day IT operational responsibility to customers in Egypt.
Labour and Employment
- Advising various multinational companies on their day-to-day activities in relation to labour, employment and social insurance matters
- Advising various multinational companies on labour matters concerning termination of employment, full and partial redundancy.
Leisure & Tourism
- Representing a five-star hotel operator in relation to a tax dispute (SLF succeeded to resolve the dispute with the Tax Authority before the matter reached court).
- Representing the Soma Bay Group of Companies in various arbitrations (five cases) against Kajima Corporation (all arbitrations were amicably settled through the efforts of our firm).
- Assisting a hotel owner in obtaining a favorable arbitral award in a dispute over the termination of a management agreement in which damages claimed against our client exceed USD 10 million.
- Representing a hotel operator in its dispute with the owner in an arbitration regulated by the ICC arbitration rules.
- Representing a major US publicly listed real estate group following the acquisition of a chain of hotels in Egypt.
- Advising FourWinds Group of Companies on negotiations with the Egyptian Mineral Resources Authority with respect to the establishment of a joint venture for mining purposes including the drafting of a memorandum of understanding.
- Advising a European Mining Company in its negotiations of a contract over the supply of mining equipment to the Egyptian Government.
- Advising SAIF S.p.A. on the licensing of trading petcoke in Egypt, and establishing a subsidiary for the trade, distribution and export of petcoke and related raw material.
- Assisting Chemtura – post acquisition of Platform – in changing the registration holder name with respect to a number of products registered at the Egyptian Ministry of Agriculture.
Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
- Acting as counsel for various Fortune 500 multinational pharma by providing guidance on all regulatory and legal requirements as well as undertaking all the necessary work for their presence in
- Advising various Fortune 500 multinational pharmaceuticals company on all laws, decrees and regulations addressing and governing clinical trials in Egypt.
- Advising various multinational companies on IPR, compulsory licensing, and exclusive marketing rights issues.
- Acting for various pharmaceutical companies with respect to the restructuring of their boards of directors and signatory powers of their legal entities in Egypt as well as advising them on all disclosure requirements and procedures.
- Acting for various pharmaceutical and medical devices companies on all disputes arising from their relationships with their agents, distributors and manufacturers under license.
Startups and Venture Capital
- Advising Queen’s Gambit Growth Capital (100% female-led SPAC) from an Egyptian law standpoint on its USD 1.5 billion combination with Swvl which is expected to be the first USD 1 billion plus unicorn from the Middle East to list on Nasdaq and only tech-enabled mass transit solutions company to list on any stock exchange.
- Advising Lobby Capital LP on an Equity Funding Round in WaffarX.
- Advising Cartona; a B2B E-Commerce platform on a USD 4.5 million Pre-Series A Equity Funding Round led by Global Ventures.
- Handling the investment of Gemini Enterprises Africa LLC in the award-winning startups of the Uplift4GFF initiative.
- Advising zVendo an Egyptian eCommerce SaaS solution provider on a Seed Equity Funding Round led by EFG EV FinTech.
- Advising zVendoan Egyptian eCommerce SaaS solution provider on a seven figure Pre-Series A Equity Funding Round led by Mobica and Gratus Holding.
III. What is our practice area best known for?
- The litigation and arbitration practice at SLF is one of the largest in the Egyptian legal market and is active on the domestic, regional, and international levels.
- Our Litigation practice has gained a reputation for protecting our clients’ legal interests and helping them overcome any challenges that their businesses may encounter. We represent clients of all sizes from a variety of industries including energy, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals and healthcare, construction, insurance, tourism and hospitality, technology and media, automotive and real estate. SLF has significant experience in enforcing foreign judgments in Egypt, with an acknowledged ability to pursue enforcement through using all available tools. SLF is known for being the go-to firm when it comes to complex disputes. We have handled some of the largest and most high-profile cases in the last years, setting precedents in the Egyptian legal market before all levels of court. Throughout the years, we have been recognized by leading global directories and ranked in Tier 1 in dispute resolution, among other practices.
- SLF maintains an extensive energy practice, which covers both the conventional side of the business in oil and gas upstream, midstream and downstream projects, and the renewable and alternative energies, with a large focus on the latter.
- Over the past three decades, we have been continuously providing legal services to numerous developers and projects’ sponsors/owners with respect to the set-up of their energy projects in Egypt and the acquisition and divestment of existing assets, both as primary legal advisor on local matters, and as co-counsel with Tier 1 global law firms on multi-jurisdiction mandates. Part of our arbitration team which focuses on energy disputes is also one of our firm’s greatest assets, as it combines the firm’s large experience in energy projects and the sharp dispute settlement skills both our litigation and arbitration teams are known for.
Our Energy team is generally highly regarded for its cross-border transactions and regulatory experience. We have been recognised by Legal500 for 2018 as a Tier 1 firm for Energy and the team has been described as focusing “heavily on the development, structuring and financing of solar and wind power projects”. Our clients include East Mediterranean Gas (EMG), EDF International Network, EDF Renouvelables, Eni, Engie, Globeleq, Marubeni, Oilibya, Scatec Solar, Seadrill, Vegas Oil & Gas and Voltalia, among other world leaders in the field of energy.
- Our Technology, Media & Telecommunications (“TMT”) practice is unrivaled in the Egyptian legal market. Our firm provides support and comprehensive legal services to different types of companies across a wide range of industries, and on all aspects of IP, technology, media and telecommunications including privacy and data protection, licensing and copyrights and trademark protection. We have been ranked as Tier 1 by Legal 500 for 2020 and 2021. We also represent clients in all types of commercial transactions including licensing, joint ventures, R&D co-operations, technology transfer, and due diligence in M&A matters, as well as in litigation and arbitration. Moreover, we are active in the anti-trust bar with respect to matters relating to media and sports broadcasting and are the only Egyptian firm to have acted for clients in the only two sports broadcasting investigations conducted by the COMESA Competition Commission, achieving great successes to date.
In a volatile global market, matching business needs with available resources can be challenging as transactions and the financial instruments become more intricate. Investors are growing more cautious, increasing competition for available capital. Worldwide, regulators and other stakeholders demand more transparency and accountability. Helping clients navigate these complexities, raise funds and increase shareholder value, is the goal of our M&A and Capital Market Practice. Consistently ranked among the top corporate law firms and operating with the world’s largest capital market players, Shahid Law Firm has been a trusted advisor to major securities players for years.
IV. African Expansion
- SLF has become the first major Egyptian law firm to expand into the East African market through the signing of an affiliation agreement with the leading and much respected Ethiopian counterpart, Meseret and Associates Law Office. the In February 2021, the Firm also opened its first office in Sudan.
V. What They Say About Us
- Chambers Global 2021 described the firm as being “Acclaimed for its broad litigation practice, which has a long history of representing major media and pharmaceutical clients, among others. Noted for its strength in competition matters, including representing clients before the COMESA Competition Commission. Also praised for its expertise in both commercial and investor-state arbitration, where the firm has a notable track record in the energy sector”.
- Legal500 2021 described SLF as a “Honest and informative support is given whenever needed.” And “We experienced a good professional relationship with Shahid Law firm and appreciated their capacity to work in an international multicultural environmen”
- Legal500 2020 described us as “The firm provides solutions that save time with high efficiency. The clear-cut difference between Shahid Law Firm and others is that they know what they are proposing, and they know the best way to achieve it.”
- Legal500 2019 referred to SLF as “reliable, reputable, very competent, responsible, transparent and flexible, and counts multinational corporations such as Abbott Laboratories, AbbVie and GlaxoSmithKline among its”
- Chambers Global 2020 described the firm as a “Providing the full suite of transactional and general commercial advice, from company establishment to corporate governance. Represents domestic and international companies in corporate restructuring and capital increases. Possesses notable experience representing clients.”
- Chambers Global 2019 explained that “What the team is known for Prominent regulatory compliance practice combined with notable strengths in corporate governance matters. Also acknowledged for its activity in corporate matters originating from energy projects.”
- The Law Magazine recognized Shahid Law Firm as the Firm of 2021 in Egypt, the firm described as “The Award was presented to Shahid Law Firm as recognition for their professional standards in client relations, enhanced work environment, and quality of legal services. Since its inception in 1987, Shahid Law Firm has grown to include over 70 lawyers and support staff. The Law appreciates your efforts in developing the quality of legal services in Egypt. “
|Office Manager||Hesham Eissafirstname.lastname@example.org||+202 2395 1656|
|Mr Sarwat Abd El-Shahid||Chairman and Founding Partner of Shahid Law Firm||View Profile|
|Mr Girgis Abd El-Shahid||Managing Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Tarek Badawy||Partner||View Profile|
|Dr Michael Boutros||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Rehan El-Bashary||Partner, and Head of “Venture by Shahid”;||View Profile|
|Ms Rasha Maurice||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Jacqueline Saad||Executive Partner Anti-corruption Competition and Compliance Corporate/Commercial||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers: : + 80
LanguagesArabic English French Spanisch Italian
Shahid Law Firm was established in 1987 by Counselor Sarwat Abd El-Shahid, after serving as a judge and State Counselor for nearly two decades. Since its inception, the Firm has rapidly grown to include over 100 lawyers, legal consultants, and support staff. The Firm has a team of Egyptian and Western-trained associates with experience in multi-jurisdictions. The Firm has become one of the leading international law firms operating in Egypt and the region. Such credit, undoubtedly, is largely due to the Firms belief in cognitive diversity, by including lawyers who have vast experience, industry insight, different styles of problem-solving and can offer unique perspectives as well as ability to combine their understanding of complex legal matters with a practical solution-oriented approach, which is crucial for complex problem-solving and high performance.
Our lawyers rich and diverse educational backgrounds and language skills have enabled our team to communicate with clients from all over the world. Our Firm is placed among a few firms in Egypt and the region that can provide services in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and, of course, Arabic. Diversity is the cornerstone of Shahid Law as to nationality, ethnicity, gender, age and religion. Not only that but also the Firm embraces individuals coming from civil and common-law legal cultures and education. Most of the members of our team received law degrees from different legal systems across the World.
Shahid Law Firm is also unique by providing true diversity for women and minorities, empowering female lawyers; and is considered one of the leading firms in Cairo legal community in the number of women and minorities in leadership positions within the Firm.
CLIENT: Daniel Lorenzo Romero
COMPANY/FIRM: ACCIONA ENERGÍA, S.A.
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm is very proactive and commercially oriented to the client’s needs. Dr. Michael Boutros assisted by Mr. Mehiar Joulji are always available to solve any issues that may arise during the execution of a new project, mainly in corporate areas.
CLIENT: Milijana Zaric
COMPANY/FIRM: ADM International Sarl
TESTIMONIAL: Lawyers from Shahid Law are very responsive, knowledgeable and with can do and find a solution attitude. It is a team of highly devoted lawyers who are extremely efficient and focused on their job.
CLIENT: Mr. Maarten Hoedemaker
COMPANY/FIRM: Al Ahram Beverages Company S.A.E.
TESTIMONIAL: Shahid Law Firm delivers high-quality and responsive legal advice.
CLIENT: Dr. Ibrahim Shalaby
COMPANY/FIRM: Amecath Group
TESTIMONIAL: Over 21 years, with 4 healthcare companies of different nationalities and business culture that I managed in Egypt, Shahid Law Firm has always been next to me. I call them: The Family Doctor. Available whenever I need them, on and off working hours, even during holidays. They memorize history and details, and the family doctor can solve and respond to all issues, in difficult cases, a well briefed expert is immediately on your side. They have an across the board corporate culture of being decent, classy, caring and good listeners. As for their legal fees, they always presented a good value for money. Over these years, I attribute a big part of my success to their valuable advice and sustained support.
CLIENT: Alasdair Pepper and Cameron Doley
COMPANY/FIRM: Cater-Ruck (in relation to a confidential arbitration case)
TESTIMONIAL: We have found Tarek Badawy and his team to be consistently excellent in all aspects of our dealings with them, now covering a wide variety of legal issues and over a number of years. We highly recommend Tarek and his firm.
CLIENT: Siân Musker
COMPANY/FIRM: Depa Group
TESTIMONIAL: "Shahid Law Firm has on numerous occasions and across a variety of matters provided high quality and commercially pragmatic legal advice, via a responsive team of lawyers. In particular, Dr. Michael Boutros is a talented lawyer with demonstrable business acumen, who is always readily available and keen to assist.”
CLIENT: Eng. Mohammed Almiqdadi, Senior Director of International Development
COMPANY/FIRM: General Mediterranean Holding S.A
TESTIMONIAL: The attorneys at Shahid Law Firm have done a great job over the years. From the initial consultation they really set themselves apart. They were available daily and responded directly to all our questions promptly and professionally. Honesty, integrity, transparency and partnership is what we got and more, we at GMH highly recommend this law firm.
CLIENT: Magda Greiche
COMPANY/FIRM: Dr. Greiche
TESTIMONIAL: Shahid Law Office is an outstandingly responsive, efficient, and professional law firm. Girgis Abd El-Shahid, Managing Partner and Dr. Michael Boutros, Partner Are Very dynamic lawyers with Great legal knowledge eager to assist their clients.
CLIENT: Dr. Omer Ali Abdelrahman, Group Head – Legal
COMPANY/FIRM: Hayel Saeed Anam & Co., in relation to acting as legal counsel of Red Sea Gulf Limited, in connection with various corporate transactions executed simultaneously in various jurisdictions as well as real estate issues and compliance of such transactions with Egyptian laws and regulations.
TESTIMONIAL: When I deal with Jacqueline Saad of Shahid Law Firm I feel to be in safe hands; she makes me feel confident that I will receive first class legal service.
My experience with Shahid Law Firm is that they provide very high-quality legal service, with deep knowledge of Egyptian law as well as international practice.
CLIENT: Mr. Qusay Al Shalabi, Corporate Head Legal
COMPANY/FIRM: Hayel Saeed Anam & Co., in relation to acting as legal counsel in connection with various corporate transactions.
TESTIMONIAL: Shahid Law Firm and lawyer Jacqueline Saad are extremely responsive, efficient and eager to help at a moments notice.
COMPANY/FIRM: International Business Group
TESTIMONIAL: We are glad to comment for Shahid Law Firm’s diligent and trustworthy work during our Egypt project; Shahid’s outstanding negotiation skills and rich experience in business practice tremendously enable us in local cooperation.
CLIENT: Anne Rigoli
COMPANY/FIRM: Louis Dreyfus Company
TESTIMONIAL: Shahid Laws corporate team always provided us with high-quality legal support. As a non-Egyptian client, we particularly value Shahids unequivocal knowledge of the complexities of the Egyptian legal system.
CLIENT:Fadi El Jurdi, Director of Legal; Production & Intellectual Property
TESTIMONIAL: Jacqueline Saad is dedicated, knowledgeable, trustworthy and highly ethical. The type of attorney you can count on at all times.
CLIENT: Reem Mubarak, MBC Legal Counsel
COMPANY/FIRM: MBC Group The Middle East Broadcasting Center, the Middle Easts largest and leading private media company in the Middle East and North Africa (longstanding client in relation to various mandates).
TESTIMONIAL: Shahid Law Firm has been our legal partner for almost 10 years, we have received nothing but professional work, high percentage of accuracy and victory in very complicated cases, when it comes to individual recognition, I have personally dealt with Girgis Abd El-Shahid and Tarek Badawy in arbitration, and Sameh Attia in litigation. We always consider them part of our in-house legal team and have full confidence in our business relationship.
CLIENT: General Counsel
COMPANY/FIRM: A multinational Mass Media and Information Corporation
TESTIMONIAL: Tarek Badawy and his firm provide timely, practical and sound advice that aids us in doing our work in Egypt. I have a high degree of trust in their counsel.
CLIENT: Kareem Abou Ghali
COMPANY/FIRM: Regina Food Group
TESTIMONIAL: During the time of engagement between our group of companies and Shahid Law, we received the highest quality service at all levels. Great dedication from your team and prompt response with high level of dedication to our cases. Shahid Law is definitely one of the best legal firms in Egypt.
CLIENT: Vice President, General Counsel
COMPANY/FIRM: Global Hospitality Group, in relation to acting as legal counsel with respect to various corporate matters, litigation and arbitration cases as well as advising on governmental matters and doing business in Egypt by assisting with licensing requirements in the field of hotel management as well as resolving contractual disputes.
TESTIMONIAL: We work with many attorneys at Shahid Law Firm for various corporate, employment and dispute resolution matters, and we are consistently impressed with their responsiveness, attention to detail, legal knowledge and sound advice.
CLIENT: Nourhan Salem
COMPANY/FIRM: SPIMACO MISR for Pharmaceutical Industries
TESTIMONIAL: “Shahid Law firm is Rare Model for Excellence and Experience.
CLIENT: Head of Legal and Compliance, Northern Africa
COMPANY/FIRM: A multinational data networking and telecommunications equipment company
TESTIMONIAL: Best-in-class support in several law areas. Shahid Law Firm is responsive, practical and very helpful.
CLIENT: Bilal ÇELIK, General Manager
COMPANY/FIRM: Turkish Airlines, Egypt
TESTIMONIAL: “Jacqueline Saad is a reliable, talented and experienced lawyer. With a great legal knowledge, she provides high quality and efficacious legal advice.
CLIENT: Mr. Malaz Alouch
TESTIMONIAL: Being the regional legal counsel of an international company, I can say that Shahid Law Firm is one of the best law firms I have ever dealt with. they provide high-quality services and are very responsive. The team there in including Girgis Abd El-Shahid, Michael Boutros and Asmaa Badawy are talented and experiences practitioners; they have great legal knowledge and business acumen.
CLIENT: Tina Van Poelvoorde
TESTIMONIAL: Michael Boutros, Girgis Abd El-Shahid and their young and dynamic team of top-notch lawyers are remarkable, providing real value for money with to the point, precise and no nonsense legal advice. They are client-obsessed and dedicated to guide and protect their clients interest to the best of their abilities. They know the pharmaceutical business very well and have the right mind-set to be your strategical sparring partner to bring your business to the next level.
Egypt: Alternative Investment Funds
Published: September 2021
Authors: Dr. Michael Boutros Moamen H. Abd El-Moamen
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Alternative Investment Funds laws and regulations that may occur in Egypt.
Egypt: Private Equity
Published: January 2022
Authors: Dr. Michael Boutros Moamen H. Abd El-Moamen
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Private Equity laws and regulations that may occur in Egypt.