CCA Law Firm > Lisbon, Portugal > Firm Profile
CCA Law Firm Offices
Edifício Diogo Cão
Doca de Alcântara Norte
CCA Law Firm > The Legal 500 RankingsCCA Law Firm is retained by a diverse client base operating in an array of industries, including technology, media, fashion and agribusiness. Offering IP filing, protection and litigation services, the team manages complex matters involving copyrights, trade secrets, unfair competition, patents and trade marks. Copyright and patent infringement mandates are a notable area of strength for the team, which has recently witnessed a change in leadership with the promotion of Tito Rendas to head of department. Rendas, who has a solid academic background in the field of IP law, helped the firm launch an integrated Trade Secrets Protection service aimed at start-ups and technology clients. Filipe Mayer is noted for advising several multinational advertising and gaming companies, while Martim Bouza Serrano stands out for his IP litigation experience.
Quinta da Pacheca
Procter & Gamble
Steller Media Group
- Advising Google on the policy and legal implications of a series of bills that have been enacted or that are currently under discussion in Portugal.
- Advising Netflix on the implementation of a recent EU Directive in the IP/TMT field, the new Audiovisual Media Services Directive (Directive 2018/1808).
- Successfully defended a lawsuit on behalf of Quinta da Pacheca against an architecture firm that claimed to own a design of bungalows in the shape of a wine barrel.
Martim Bouza Serrano
‘Young team that is highly qualified and in permanent contact with new technologies. They are so close to the client that it seems they are part of your team.’
‘A team that is technically well prepared, with effective experience in the area; efficient, proactive, and modern approach.’
‘It’s a very dynamic team and full of initiative. They demonstrate mastery of knowledge of new business models and activity sectors in the area of new technologies. The value of its service goes far beyond legal knowledge: it is a team that has an in-depth knowledge of the business in the field of technologies, both at the level of large multinationals and at the startup level.’
‘Martim Bouza Serrano is a lawyer who stands out for his total availability and spirit of collaboration with clients, associating legal knowledge (which becomes evident in the advice he provides) with knowledge of the market, demonstrating total familiarity with new business models, innovative services and technological products.’
‘It stands out for its in-depth knowledge of the best market practices, that is, it goes beyond legal knowledge based on the field of legislation and jurisprudence, enriching its activity with benchmarking that provides its clients with aligned solutions with what is best practiced by other companies in each sector. I highlight Martim Bouza Serrano, for his evident knowledge and experience, allied to his permanent availability.’
Procter & Gamble
JTI | Japan Tobacco International
- Advised Procter & Gamble Portugal on the implementation of its GDPR compliance project.
- Assisted Strong Sharon with the drafting of the needed clauses and framework to comply with the GDPR requirements for the transfer of personal data between Portugal and the US.
- Assisted Special Variable with the implementation of the data flows and personal data consents in relation to a service technological platform (hAPI) that is integrated within the web page of banks and financial institutions.
Henrique Salinas; Marta Duarte
‘Very attentive and responsive.’
- Represented Cofina, owner of Correio da Manhã newspaper and Sábado magazine, and two journalists, concerning a breach of judicial secrecy.
- Assisting Lloyd’s in a criminal proceeding against Portuguese company Risk Marine Underwriting and its representative.
- Representing one of the defendants related to the Grupo Espírito Santo case.
Portugal > Tax Tier 3‘With a high level of know-how and accumulated experience in tax law', CCA Law Firm advises on tax efficient domestic and cross-border investments, tax litigation, VAT and other indirect taxes. Its tax consultancy services also include day-to-day support for a range of corporate entities engaged in financing transactions and commercial agreements across a variety of industries, including online gambling, insurance, IT, tourism and start-ups. Tânia De Almeida Ferreira has a wealth of experience handling the tax aspects of M&A, corporate reorganisations and restructurings. João Pedro Albuquerque is a name to note at the junior level; he is particularly active in administrative, judicial and arbitration proceedings involving corporate income tax, VAT and real estate taxes.
Tânia de Almeida Ferreira
Other key lawyers:
‘CCA has professionals with a high level of know-how and accumulated experience in tax law, which allows our company to use them with a high degree of confidence in all clarifications and the duty to comply with all tax regulations and tax payments in the country.’
‘In particular, Tânia de Almeida Ferreira has been a huge support to our company in recent years in all matters related to compliance with tax rules as well as interactions with the Tax Authority in various legal proceedings.’
‘Collaboration, ethical principles, work capacity, technical competence, experience.’
Vida Produce company
- Advised AP Wireless on various tax matters, including cross-border tax issues.
- Assisted Invillia Group in the intragroup reorganisation, which was implemented before its sale to Compasso UOL.
- Advised Tayan Energy on recent amendments to a tax valuation of photovoltaic plants.
Portugal > TMT Tier 3CCA Law Firm possesses strong credentials in the technology sector, standing out for its second-to-none knowledge of the gambling and e-sports sectors in Portugal. Media and advertising law are core strengths for the department, which is often sought by clients in relation to the licensing of content, regulatory matters, contractual issues and marketing campaigns. Co-head Filipe Mayer is counsel of choice for several advertising agencies and media and entertainment companies. Fellow co-leader Martim Bouza Serrano oversees privacy and technology-related mandates. Gambling law is among Alcina De Oliveira Alves' areas of expertise.
Other key lawyers:
Alcina de Oliveira Alves
‘We love their practical approach to legal issues, always finding an efficient way to solve problems while optimising time and resources. They have shown a creative point of view for all cases. Since 20th century laws don’t always solve 21st century problems, our in-house legal team team needs to get advised and take innovative approaches for tackling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Advising on cutting-edge technology is not an easy task and CCA has earned our trust and respect.’
‘Martim Bouza Serrano is a very solid litigator, with extensive experience in privacy, data protection or intermediary liability. He represented my organisation in several successful proceedings before courts and regulators. Alcina de Oliveira Alves is always ready to help! From the beginning, she seemed like a natural in-house lawyer. You don’t need to ask her twice. She always manages to sort everything out and provide good solid advice.’
‘Ability to adapt to the constant evolution of this area, well-prepared and experienced professionals.’
‘Filipe Mayer, Martim Bouza Serrano and Alcina Oliveira Alves are recommended.’
‘Pragmatism, result-oriented, and technical know-how.’
Procter & Gamble
- Provided legal assistance to COFINA with the launch of its International TV channel CMTV INTERNACIONAL.
- Assisted ZAP, a television operator which provides Portuguese language channels to Angola and Mozambique, with the drafting of licensing contracts for its international operation.
- Assisted the HAVAS GROUP, an advertising, marketing and communication agency, in an advertising agreement with Santa Casa da Misericórdia the Lisboa.
Other key lawyers:
Domingos Cruz; Pedro Simões de Oliveira
‘Young, dynamic, knowledgeable, flexible, practical.’
‘Sara Reis – very experienced but also very practical.’
‘Highly skilled and expert team, great availability, easy to speak with in different channels. Strong know-how and track record on the Tech/VC space.’
‘Domingos Cruz has extensive knowledge of the Corporate and VC space, is always available. He has a good sense of priorities. Pedro Oliveira showed sense of urgency, capacity to execute and take the lead in a matter.’
Procter & Gamble
Issta Assets Ltd
St. Peters International School
- Advised Dan Cake’s shareholders on the sale of the company to Biscuit International Group.
- Assisted Invillia in the negotiation of its sale to Grupo Compasso UOL.
- Assisted Barkyn in an €8m investment round.
Portugal > Employment Tier 4CCA Law Firm's core employment offering focuses on providing clients with comprehensive advice on day-to-day business operations. Contract drafting and review, due diligence, and internal policy regulations are also key to the team’s strategy. Recent instructions saw an increase in pandemic and post-pandemic employment issues, such as lay-off proceedings, TUPEs, furlough, and return to work protocols. The team is led by Pedro Antunes, who has an international practice, with particular expertise in multinationals with operations in Portugal, Spain, Brazil and China. Managing associate Maria Barbosa, who moved over from Uría Menéndez – Proença Carvalho, co-leads, and stands out for her knowledge of TUPEs, workforce and restructuring operations, including downsizing processes.
Other key lawyers:
‘CCA stands out for its speed, easy access and simplicity in explaining the topics. Although legal opinions sometimes have to be more complex, there is always care to make a simple explanation of them so that people without training in law can understand and better interpret the texts. The team conveys confidence and is permanently available to answer even the simplest questions.’
‘Any one of the team members demonstrates great sympathy, availability and concern to ensure the interlocutor’s understanding. They often look for alternative solutions, not just sticking to what is stipulated in the law. They position themselves as partners who listen to the client’s concerns, question and help find creative solutions, taking calculated risks. I’d highlight Pedro Antunes and Maria Barbosa.’
‘I followed Maria Barbosa to CCA as a client and since then the same level of service and rigor in the work support to our company has been maintained.’
‘I would highlight the availability and the capacity to work under adverse situations. CCA has a dynamic team and have been developing their digital footprint in the last couple of years, with great success, in my opinion.’
‘I would mention Pedro Antunes, with his capacity to provide accurate answers and to discuss and decide the best approach for each situation.’
A Padaria Portuguesa
Global Citizen Solutions
- Advising Europcar in initiating a downsizing phase following its restructuring.
- Advised Colep in all employment and labour-related issues arising from the transfer of employees’ provisions applicable to the demerger-merger transaction of the company’s business units.
- Advised Hiscox on a TUPE process triggered by Brexit.
Madalena Azeredo Perdigão; Tomás Assis Teixeira
Other key lawyers:
‘They understand my businesses and they are always available for me. They offer great solutions, the skills are very professional.’
‘I feel they are part of my team.’
‘Availability, dedication, and search for solutions.’
‘Madalena Azeredo Perdigão and Tomás Assis Teixeira have the availability and are always looking for a solution to the problem thinking about the client and the counterparty.’
‘We frequently turn to CCA, which has provided us and continues to provide legal advice on various matters. The quality and rigor of the work provided always being of the highest order level, where the needs and concerns of the client are perceived and where deadlines (often tight) that are defined are met.’
‘CCA distinguishes itself in positive terms at various levels, but mainly in terms of availability, technical knowledge, vast experience and creativity of its lawyers in solving the problems presented to it.’
‘Madalena Azeredo Perdigão has the highest level of technical knowledge and practical know-how arising from her vast experience in this area of expertise, which more than once contributed to solving problems and unblocking impasses. When participating in a conference call or meeting, we are very comfortable, knowing that the outcome in our favour is almost always guaranteed.’
Feels like home
Global Citizen solutions
- Advised Global Citizen Solutions on combined investment and immigration solutions to more than 200 individual private clients that invested both in real estate and in Portuguese investment funds.
- Assisted in COLEP Portugal’s spin-off operation, which involved the transfer of ownership of a property to the new company.
- Assisted IMOFID, an investment fund managed by Fidelidade, on the acquisition of a commercial real estate asset in a historical and classified building in the heart of Lisbon.
Marta Duarte; Catarina Limpo Serra
Other key lawyers:
‘CCA is unique in its times and ways of responding. They meet the deadlines they set for reviewing the situation and always offer a solution (most of the time more than one) and are always willing to review and study new angles. They are always available and provide simple answers. They are very close to the client.’
‘I work directly with Rita Cruz, Marta Duarte and Catarina Limpo Serra. I have confidence in the work they do and the solutions they present. They are great professionals.’
‘Young team, with good technical capacity, great availability.’
‘Catarina Limpo Serra is a very strong lawyer, shows a lot of confidence and is very available.’
TAP – Transportes Aéreos Portugueses
Caixa de Crédito Agrícola
Valbuena Patrimonial SL
Sogrape Vinhos S.A.
- Provides advice to TAP in the context of complaints filed by passengers.
- Represents Google and Alphabet Inc. in a private enforcement competition case brought by Trioconnect.
- Assisted Sogrape in an action against the owners of the Mateus Palace regarding the use of an image on the Mateus Rosé wine bottles.
CCA Law Firm > Firm Profile
For 70 years CCA law firm has been focused on the future and on helping organizations to obtain the best, most daring and effective solutions.
Being innovative is a part of us. Our culture helps us to break down barriers and stereotypes. We are courageous in finding new ways to deliver value and knowledge to our clients and to create an exceptional work environment that attracts the best talent.
We support innovation and we work with people and companies driven by great ideas, regardless of their size or sector. Our clients range from technology multinationals, SMEs and Startups backed by venture capital, to family businesses or private clients.
We are a team of business oriented professionals, focused on the digital economy and united around the same purpose: to change the way legal work is carried out.
A team of experts, a responsive attitude.
|Litigation, Arbitration, Insurance||Rita Cruzemail@example.com|
|Fraud and white-collar crime||Henrique Salinasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tax||Tânia de Almeida Ferreiraemail@example.com|
|Personal data and privacy||Martim Bouza Serranofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Real estate, projects and tourism||Madalena Azeredo Perdigãoemail@example.com|
|Technology, media and telecommunications (TMT)||Filipe Mayerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Intellectual property||Filipe Mayeremail@example.com|
|Commercial, corporate and M&A||Sara Reisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Private Clients||Carla Matosemail@example.com|
|Real Estate||Tomás Assis Teixeirafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Carlos Cruz||Founding partner of CCA. Carlos Cruz practice covers a wide spectrum of…||View Profile|
|Mr Domingos Cruz||Managing Partner of CCA. Domingos Cruz focuses his practice on Corporate Law,…||View Profile|
|Mrs Rita Cruz||Partner of CCA. Rita advises clients in all types of litigation procedures,…||View Profile|
|Mr Filipe Mayer||Partner of CCA. Filipe is responsible for the Gaming area, dealing with…||View Profile|
|Mr Henrique Salinas||Henrique Salinas is Partner of CCA since 2007. He specialized in the…||View Profile|