Bennani & Associés > Casablanca, Morocco > Firm Profile
Bennani & Associés Offices
OCEANE 3 TOWER – SUITE n°B5 – 1ST FLOOR
SIDI MOHAMED BEN ABDELLAHAvenue
MARINA CASABLANCA 20030
Bennani & Associés > The Legal 500 RankingsBennani & Associés has acted on a number of innovative deals and market-leading mandates on behalf of a series of major multinational clients. The firm is the local counsel of choice for some of the biggest international firms, including Linklaters and Freshfields. Among others, the automotive, energy, pharmaceuticals and technology sectors are key for the team, which contains legal experts in countries across North and West Africa. Managing partner Mehdi Bennani leads the team, assisting major companies in local and cross-border corporate and commercial transactions.
‘Very responsive and helpful, comprehensive in responses and well-versed in legal knowledge.’
‘B&A have a multidisciplinary team with a professional mindset.’
‘Availability, flexibility, reactivity with a quick understanding of my needs.’
Crown Holdings, Inc.
Azelis Group NV
Globis Acquisition Corp.
Inspired Education Holding
Koch Ag & Energy Solutions
Ontime Corporate Union S.L
Tikehau Ace Capital
TUI Group (TUI AG)
- Handled Moroccan and Ivorian law aspects of US-based Crown Holdings, Inc.’s US$2.7 billion sale of its tinplate business to KPS Capital Partners LP.
- Advised Nasdaq-listed Globis Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), on the US$300 million acquisition of Forafric Agro Holdings Limited, including Forafric Maroc SA and subsidiaries in seven other African markets.
- Acted as Moroccan counsel in the context of the €600 million acquisition by France-based Plastic Omnium of Varroc’s automotive lighting systems business.
Morocco > Dispute resolution Tier 1The litigation team at Bennani & Associés focuses on serving major multinational companies and law firms in disputes throughout Morocco and the greater North African region. Services encompass the full range of contentious matters, including, litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. Key fields of focus include corporate and commercial, employment, financial services, debt and regulatory proceedings. Abdellah Moustaid leads the practice, handling high-end litigation and alternative dispute resolution surrounding commercial, administrative and public law. Mahdi Yamnahaddou also plays a key role in the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘I recommend the firm B&A for its attentive customer service, its agility in the work and its good technical level. I believe that their legal practice is comparable to that of the major European law firms.’
‘B&A’s lawyers respond to a standard of professionalism far superior to what we have seen in other local firms.’
‘They met all of our deadlines, conducted fruitful matters, and provided first-rate legal counsel.’
‘We collaborated with Mehdi Bennani and the team. They are considerate, quick to respond, proactive, knowledgeable, practical, and strategic.’
Samsung Construction & Trading Corporation
Casatram SA (a subsidiary of RATP)
Crimidesa Maroc S.A
Daewoo Engineering & Construction
Itissalat Al Maghrib (IAM)
Compagnie Privée Véroche
Middle East Radio Television Morocco (MRTM)
Pilot Freight Services
ST MICROELECTRONICS SA MOROCCO
Total Wind Maroc
- Successfully represented the Carlyle Group in seeking to have its rights recognised in the bankruptcy proceedings of the Moroccan refinery “SAMIR” to obtain the payment of $404 million debts owed to the client.
- Won the case for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Morocco in commercial arbitration proceedings opposite its former distributor, Stokvis Automotive S.A.
- Defended Itissalat Al Maghrib (IAM), the leading telecoms operator in Morocco, before the Moroccan Commercial Court of Rabat in a very complex and technical litigation initiated by another telecoms operator, WANA, to seek MAD 6 billion in compensation for alleged anti-competitive practices.
Morocco > Employment Tier 2Bennani & Associés focuses on supporting multinational companies and foreign law firms with their business in Morocco, as well as the wider North Africa region. The employment team represents these blue-chip clients on a range of employment matters, including employee dismissal and disputes, non-contentious terminations, employee transfers, occupational risk matters and day-to-day employment law support. Managing partner Mehdi Bennani routinely assists major multinational companies with non-contentious labour and employment law issues. He co-leads the team with Abdellah Moustaid, who also fronts the firm's litigation department. Mahdi Yamnahaddou is another key name, likewise specialising in both employment law and dispute resolution.
Mehdi Bennani; Abdellah Moustaid
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is responsive, and professional. They are knowledgeable and reasonably quick in their turnaround time.’
‘Mahdi Yamnahaddou is always available and professional. His advice is sound and he is always willing to assist and go the extra mile. He is exceptional in his understanding of the law.’
Casa Tram (RATP)
Crimidesa Maroc S.A
Maphar (subsidiary of Eupharma)
TUI AG / TUI FLY
- Defended Samsung C&T in litigation initiated by Fusimar claiming compensation for an alleged poaching of Fusimar employees.
- Acted for Dell S.A.S. in labour litigation matter with 73 of its former employees who were transferred to NTT Data.
- Represented Adidas Morocco LLC in the negotiations and procedure before the labour inspector for the amicable termination of the employment agreement of 15 employees.
Bennani & Associés > Firm Profile
Firm overview: Founded in 2004, Bennani & Associes is a leading independent pan-African firm with offices in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Côte d’Ivoire and now also Democratic Republic of Congo. If offers cutting-edge business law expertise to listed and unlisted companies as well as public entities and international law firms active in the region. In each market, the firm has a particular expertise in representing foreign investors across a wide range of complex issues, including:
- General corporate law
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures and partnerships
- Corporate restructuring
- Competition/antitrust and other regulatory advice
- Employment law
- Commercial litigation and arbitration
Industries served: The firm has extensive experience in representing a range of major industry sector, including (but not limited to):
- Consumer electronics
- Engineering and construction
- Financial Services
- Oil and gas
- Private equity
- Antitrust counsel to Alstom on filing of its €6.2bn merger with Bombardier (Morocco)
- Counsel to Sage Global Automotive S.R.L. on its acquisition of a 30% stake and voting rights in the Moroccan company, ERT Automotive Morocco Sarl-Au (Morocco)
- Counsel to Bunzl on Moroccan aspects of its acquisition of a 100% equity interest in Proin Pinilla, S.L., and Protec & Marti, S.L. (Morocco)
- Counsel to global investment management firm Carlyle in a $404m bankruptcy litigation procedure against the SAMIR refinery (Morocco)
- Counsel to Representing Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Morocco in commercial arbitration against its former distributor (Morocco)
- Counsel to Facebook on data privacy and payment instruments for new products (Algeria)
- Counsel to Hyundai on a new vehicle manufacturing joint venture with Tahkout Manufacturing Company (Algeria)
- Counsel to Evatherm AG in successful defence against penalty claims relating to a turnkey salt production plant (Algeria)
- Counsel to Enel Green Power on regulatory review of 5,000MW of photovoltaic and wind farm projects (Algeria)
- Counsel to Delfingen Industry in the acquisition of a 100% shareholding in Schlemmer group’s Tunisian subsidiary (Tunisia)
- Counsel to Volkswagen regarding merger clearance of its joint venture with Rimac (Tunisia)
- Counsel to Salama – Islamic Arab Insurance Company PSC on the sale of its Senegalese subsidiary, Salama Senegal, to Groupe Duval (Côte d’Ivoire)
- Counsel to Paystack Nigeria on regulatory authorisation of the company’s activities (Côte d’Ivoire)
|Mergers and acquisitions|
|Banking and project finance|
|Tourism and hotel projects|
|Intellectual property litigation|
|Stock exchange and capital markets|
|Arbitration and dispute resolution|