Firm Profile > Brinkhof > Amsterdam, Netherlands
Grote Bickersstraat 74-78
Brinkhof > The Legal 500 Rankings
Brinkhof stands out in the market for its involvement in innovative and novel data protection mandates, and is particularly noted for its expertise in Data Protection Authority (DPA) investigations. Recent highlights include advising Google on a data protection impact assessment commissioned by the state government into its GSuite cloud services and use by government bodies, and acting for various publishers in an investigation by the Dutch DPA relating to the use of cookie walls on their websites. The highly regarded Quinten Kroes leads the practice, which also includes Remy Chavannes – who specialises in online platform-related matters – alongside counsel Dorien Verhulst and senior associate Anke Strijbos, who worked closely with Chavannes in Google's right to be forgotten cases.
Other key lawyers:
Remy Chavannes; Dorien Verhulst; Anke Strijbos; Manon Oostveen
‘In-depth knowledge, on top of latest developments in the marketplace, pragmatic and concrete advice, offering interesting workshops for clients.’
‘Brinkhof has a way of communicating with its clients in a personal and professional way; they make it a point to understand the question you would like advice on, without taking more time than necessary. Furthermore, they are receptive of feedback and take the time to explain their reasoning in clear wording.’
‘Both Quinten Kroes and Manon Oostveen have a very personalised approach. Where with other firms you might get the feeling that you are one client out of many, and providing advice is a check-the-box exercise, this is definitely not the case with Brinkhof. Expertise and dedicated attention are combined really well in order to address the issue at hand.’
With a dedicated IT and outsourcing group, Brinkhof is well placed to handle large IT mandates for domestic and international clients. The firm has recently been involved in a number of projects relating to growing technologies, such as DevOps, software as a service (SaaS), AI and VR. The practice draws on ancillary support for privacy, data protection, data security, competition and media law. Eliane de Vilder has considerable experienced in commercial contracts for software and IT. Wieke van Angeren handles outsourcing, licensing and e-commerce issues.
Eliane de Vilder; Wieke van Angeren
Other key lawyers:
‘Very knowledgeable on IT contracts and IT strategy.
‘Their ability to work in contact and work closely with their patent department in creating litigation strategies and avoiding litigation is an added bonus, which doubles their scope in experience.’
‘Wieke van Angeren is an exceptional strategist and her advice enables us to avoid pitfalls’.
‘The services provided by Brinkhof are more than legal services alone. They are a good sparring partner, which leads to new insights and approaches.’
‘I worked closely with Teun Burgers, he is a very pleasant person to work with and takes the time to talk everything through’.
‘They have excellent strength and expertise in technology and IP litigation, handling complex copyright and licensing issues’.
‘Wieke van Angeren is a very accomplished advocate with great client handling skills’.
‘Specific focus of the firm on IT means that they have all the capabilities in-house to service us’.
Athlon Car Lease
De Lage Landen
De Menken keuken
First Dutch Innovations (previously: TNO Companies)
Perfetti van Melle
Sketch (previously Bohemian)
Brinkhof is highly regarded in the market for its commercial and regulatory work, and involvement in headline litigation. With a focus on work in the media, broadcast, internet and telecoms space, the firm acts for major international broadcasters, telecoms providers and online technology firms, such as Google and T-Mobile. Practice head Remy Chavannes is recommended for media and copyright law. Quinten Kroes has over 20 years’ experience in the TMT market and is adept at handling litigation. Counsel Dorien Verhulst has specialist knowledge of online reputation management and intermediary liability.
Other key lawyers:
Quinten Kroes; Dorien Verhulst
‘A true understanding of business needs’.
‘Remy Chavannes has creative ideas to solve one-of-a-kind problems and is relentlessly exploring new solutions’.
‘They have particular strengths on intellectual property and commercial law’.
‘They take the time to properly understand the challenges their tech clients face and proactively offer suggestions and options’.
‘A good all round service, they are happy to integrate and connect with client systems’.
‘Remy Chavannes is an extremely knowledgeable and dedicated external counsel’.
‘Remy Chavannes is an excellent lawyer in his field, sharp in his analysis, with excellent knowledge of EU law and the decisions of the Court of Justice’.
‘Remy Chavannes leads an effective, skilled team; blending intellectual property and media law in a pragmatic approach to business solutions’.
Association of Dutch Commercial Radio broadcasters
Fox Channels International
Eredivisie Media & Marketing
FD Mediagroep including newspaper Het Financieele Dagblad and business intelligence provider Company.info
RTL Group / RTL Nederland
Industry focus: telecoms Tier 1
Brinkhof is particularly active in contentious matters and is at the forefront of litigation in the telecoms sector. The group also handles corporate, consumer and privacy enforcement matters. Quinten Kroes is a key name for drafting and negotiating key commercial contracts in the TMT sector. Pepijn van Ginneken, who jointly heads the practice with Kroes, focuses on telecoms competition and regulatory matters. Remy Chavannes’ practice spans the intersection of telecoms, media and copyright law.
Pepijn van Ginneken; Quinten Kroes
Other key lawyers:
BT Global Services
Glasvezel Buitenaf (renamed: Delta Fiber Netwerk)
Delta Rijssen Glasvezel
Brinkhof is lauded as one of the top IP firms in Europe. One of its clear strengths is the ability to coordinate litigation across Europe and beyond. Pharma, biotech, electronics, and various food and other consumer goods are some of its sector expertise and it has close connections in academia and the judiciary. The firm is also known for its deep understanding of cutting edge technology. The well-known Richard Ebbink and Mark Van Gardingen head a talented team: 'Stand-out partner' Daan De Lange, 'rising star' Jan Pot, and Koen Bijvank, who is considered outstanding, particularly for oppositions. Barbara Mooij is also a notable team member.
Richard Ebbink; Mark van Gardingen
Other key lawyers:
Daan De Lange; Jan Pot; Koen Bijvank; Barbara Mooij; Rik Lambers; Alexander de Leeuw
‘This is the top-notch patent litigation firm in the Netherlands. Partners are pragmatic, hands-on, and results-oriented.’
‘Daan de Lange is a standout partner with strategic views and a low profile. Jan Pots is a rising star in the team.’
‘Knowledgeable, always available, and prompt to react. ’
‘Jan Pot: outstanding in his communication and advices.’
‘Koen Bijvank is extremely effective in opposition work.’
‘Brikhof’s patent litigation team is the best in the Netherlands and one of the top shops in Europe. Hugely capable practitioners handling a busy book of work makes for the most experienced lawyers available.’
‘Mark van Gardingen: nobody works harder for their clients. Smart, dedicated, devoted, and creative. Always thinking several moves ahead and unafraid to challenge the assumptions’.
‘Koen Bijvank: one of the brightest patent attorneys in Europe. Instrumental in some major cases.’
‘Daan de Lange: charming, approachable, and hard-working. Outstanding track record of success’.
‘Jan Pot: A star in the making.’
‘Excellent quality always. Practical, commercial knowledgeable people.’
‘Koen Bijvant – excellent, personable, great experience, good with clients.
‘Mark van Gardingen – bright and innovative thinker. Great with clients’.
‘Barbara Mooij – terrific young talented advocaat.’
Richter Gedeon Nyrt
The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
Novartis / Sandoz
The Dow Chemical Company
Brinkhof provides an outstanding and 'extremely polished' service, according to clients. In addition to handling some of the most high-profile and internationally significant cases, it also assists clients with commercial and strategic advice. The range of its expertise extends to the EU regulation of online platforms and the protection of commercial image rights. The team also has strong academic ties, such as with the University of Utrecht and membership of numerous professional bodies, and employs a range of technologies to deliver services to clients, including litigation management and trade mark portfolio administration. The practice is headed by the 'impressive' Kurt Stopetie; Gregor Vos who 'presents with eloquence and gravitas'; and Remy Chavannes who also specialises in copyright, media, and internet litigation. Senior associate Rutger Stoop is also highly rated for his 'commercial and strategic' approach to the protection of IP assets and his grasp of advertising law. In other news, Sjo Anne Hoogcarspel left in 2019 to set up her own firm, while associate Sophie ten Bosch joined from Allen & Overy LLP in February 2020.
Kurt Stöpetie; Gregor Vos; Remy Chavannes
‘We have worked with Gregor Vos and Rutger Stoop extensively on trade mark enforcement in the Netherlands.’
‘The Brinkhof team are extremely polished, professional, and very pleasant to work with. They appreciate clients’ wider strategic objectives and have impressed the client with their commercial and pragmatic solutions “on their feet” and effective results.’
‘Gregor Vos presents with eloquence and gravitas, such that one feels in safe hands when he is handling a matter.’
‘Rutger Stoop impresses with his pleasant manner, strategic and commercial insights, and excellent drafting. ’
Bank of America
Cosmetic Warriors (Lush)
Novartis / Alcon
WILD / SiSi Werke (Capri Sun)
EU and competition Tier 3
With ‘a hands-on mentality, excellent knowledge and a personal touch’, Brinkhof is a key contact in the market for domestic and international clients in the technology, telecoms, energy, postal, pharmaceuticals and healthcare sectors. The group is also experienced in merger clearance proceedings and cartel claims; it recently represented Heineken in follow-up claims relating to the international truck cartel. Pepijn van Ginneken and Quinten Kroes jointly lead the practice, which also includes Remy Chavannes and Daan de Lange.
Pepijn van Ginneken; Quinten Kroes
Other key lawyers:
Remy Chavannes; Daan de Lange
‘Hands-on mentality, excellent knowledge, personal touch.’
‘Pepijn van Ginneken: very approachable, excellent knowledge and pragmatic.’
Dutch Dairy Board (NZO)
Brinkhof > Firm Profile
The firm: Brinkhof was established as an independent Dutch law firm in 2005. Its lawyers are dedicated, experienced litigators, advisors, drafters, and negotiators. They cater to clients from innovative industries, including high-tech, pharma, medical devices, media, telecoms, retail, food, fashion, and financial. The breadth of knowledge and depth of specialist experience makes Brinkhof a centre of legal expertise for modern markets. Brinkhof’s IP practice is one of the broadest in the Netherlands. Its platforms regulation & litigation team advises several of the world’s online giants. The competition team is the premier team for the full range of competition and regulatory law advice. The IT team is known for its expertise in the area of sourcing and IT contracting. Brinkhof has dedicated and experienced privacy law specialists providing clients with practical business advice. Seasoned non-contentious IP specialists also deal with licensing, R&D arrangements and similar transactions on a daily basis.
Main areas of practice
Patent litigation general:
- Represented Dow Chemical Company in trade secret misappropriation proceedings regarding opaque and non-opaque polymers (for use in paints) against Organik Kimya (up to the Supreme Court).
- Represented Boston Scientific in several proceedings regarding cardiovascular technology (vascular stents, stent coatings, heart catheters) against various competitors.
- Represented Xiaomi and OPPO in several proceedings against Sisvel on injunctions in case of standard essential patents (SEPs) and FRAND-conditions.
- Represented Heineken in several proceedings against Anheuser-Busch InBev before the Hague specialised patent courts and coordinated the worldwide patent dispute.
- Represented The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard in matters related to their European CRISPR patent portfolio and other related patents.
Pharmaceuticals and biotech:
- Represented Sandoz in various pending nullity and infringement proceedings concerning generic medicaments, e.g. against AstraZeneca (esomeprazole and quetiapine), GlaxoSmithKline (salmeterol + fluticasone), Leo Pharma (calcipotriol), Merck (dorzolamide + timolol), and Sanofi-Aventis (docetaxel).
- Represented Synthon in nullity and infringement proceedings against various competitors, including Astellas (tamsulosine) and Teva (glatiramer acetate).
- Represented Celtrion in nullity proceedings against Biogen, Roche and Genentech (rituximab).
- Represented Novozymes in multi-jurisdictional nullity and infringement proceedings against DSM (lactose for milk).
- Represented Accord Healthcare in nullity and infringement proceedings against competitors, including against AstraZeneca (quetiapine) and Medac (methotrexate).
IP and unfair competition:
- Legal support to Google for IP matters, including trademark, domain name and Adwords related disputes and licensing and privacy issues.
- Represented WILD in international trademark litigation aimed at protecting the shape of the CAPRI-SUN branded fruit juice pouches.
- Advised and represented Adidas in all of its IP issues in the Netherlands, amongst which litigation in the textbook case about the well-known 3 Stripes trademark of Adidas.
- Represented Nestle in European proceedings against Cadbury (Mondelez) regarding its EU trademarks for the shapes of its KitKat products.
- Represented T-Mobile in advertising proceedings against Vodafone, Ziggo and KPN.
- Advised LeasePlan on its IP portfolio, including coordination of enforcement and strategy of its IP rights throughout the Benelux and Europe, providing LeasePlan with guidance on its product introductions, and product commercials.
- Represented Infineon in a trademark dispute against NXP regarding public transport technology.
- Supported a leading Dutch company in the financial and leasing industry in a multi-jurisdictional WAN project, as well as on agile and DevOps issues.
- Supported Euronext-listed Dutch multinational Nedap in drafting all of its template agreements and representing it in complex negotiations with business partners and customers.
- Assisted USG People in replacing several business critical IT systems supporting front and back office processes.
- Advised ERIKS on various multi-jurisdictional sourcing matters in connection with its global operations.
- Represented WhatsApp in the Dutch Data Protection Authority’s inquiry into its use of telephone numbers.
- Advised Randstad in the Dutch Data Protection Authority’s inquiry into its processing of employee data.
- Represented Dutch Railways in litigation on personal data and public transport cards.
EU and competition:
- Represented merging parties in national and international merger control cases, such as former telecoms incumbent KPN.
- Represented clients in national and international litigation on abuse of dominance, such as the international airport Schiphol.
- Represented parties in cartel and regulatory litigation, such as energy incumbent Nuon.
- Represented defendants in civil cartel damage cases domestically, such as in the Pressed Steel and Paraffin Wax cartels.
- Acting for online platforms in several investigations by the national competition authority ACM, such as Google.
Media, entertainment and reputation management:
- Acted for Google in a significant number of proceedings about delisting of search results under the European ‘right to be forgotten’, removal of hosted content, and provision of user data.
- Advised several major tech companies regarding EU regulation of online platforms, including audiovisual media services, copyright, and hate speech.
- Represented Fox Sports Eredivisie in commercial image-rights litigation.
- Represented public broadcaster Omroep MAX in civil defamation proceedings over a TV broadcast, and in administrative proceedings over rights to a broadcasting slot and over a fine imposed in relation to merchandising for the Dutch version of the Great British Bake Off.
- Represented the association of Dutch commercial radio broadcasters in music royalty rate-setting litigation.
- Advised a number of broadcasters and online media platforms in relation to cable distribution, collective rights, and jurisdiction under the AVMS directive.
- Represented financial newspaper Het Financieele Dagblad in a number of defamation proceedings.
- Represented KPN in appeal procedures regarding Vodafone-Ziggo and Liberty-Ziggo before the EU Court of Justice.
- Represented Sky Radio in litigation against the Dutch State relating to the license fees imposed for the extension of radio licenses.
- Represented Tele2 in civil damages litigation relating to the introduction of shared broadband access.
- Represented Eurofiber in various telecoms regulatory matters, including its successful appeal against near-net regulation.
- Represented CAIW in an EU state aid notification for next generation access networks.
Managing partners: Richard Ebbink, Quinten Kroes
Number of partners: 14
Number of lawyers: 39
Languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian
|Patent litigation||Richard Ebbinkemail@example.com|
|Patent litigation||Mark van Gardingenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Patent validity and infringement||Daan de Langeemail@example.com|
|Patent validity and infringement||Koen Bijvankfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Patent litigation||Jan Potemail@example.com|
|Patent litigation||Rien Broekstrafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Trade mark litigation||Gregor Vosemail@example.com|
|Trade mark litigation||Kurt Stöpetiefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Unfair competition||Gregor Vosemail@example.com|
|Unfair competition||Kurt Stöpetiefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Life sciences||Mark van Gardingenemail@example.com|
|Life sciences||Daan de Langefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pharmaceuticals and biotech||Mark van Gardingenemail@example.com|
|Pharmaceuticals and biotech||Koen Bijvankfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Copyright protection||Remy Chavannesemail@example.com|
|Copyright protection||Dorien Verhulstfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Copyright protection||Gregor Vosemail@example.com|
|Licensing||Wieke van Angerenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Licensing||Eliane de Vilderemail@example.com|
|IP portfolio management||Gregor Vosfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|IP portfolio management||Kurt Stöpetieemail@example.com|
|EPO oppositions||Koen Bijvankfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|EPO oppositions||Mark van Gardingenemail@example.com|
|Supplementary protection certificates||Koen Bijvankfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Supplementary protection certificates||Daan de Langeemail@example.com|
|EU and competition||Pepijn van Ginnekenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Media and entertainment||Remy Chavannesemail@example.com|
|Media and entertainment||Quinten Kroesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Telecoms||Pepijn van Ginnekenemail@example.com|
|IT||Eliane de Vilderfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|IT||Wieke van Angerenemail@example.com|
|Privacy and data protection||Quinten Kroesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Koen Bijvank||Partner||View Profile|
|Remy Chavannes||Partner||View Profile|
|Daan De Lange||Partner in patent litigation||View Profile|
|Eliane De Vilder||Partner||View Profile|
|Richard Ebbink||Partner||View Profile|
|Quinten Kroes||Partner||View Profile|
|Jan Pot||Partner||View Profile|
|Kurt Stöpetie||Partner||View Profile|
|Wieke Van Angeren||Partner||View Profile|
|Mark Van Gardingen||Partner||View Profile|
|Pepijn Van Ginneken||Partner||View Profile|
|Dorien Verhulst||Partner||View Profile|
|Gregor Vos||Partner||View Profile|