Brinkhof > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Firm Profile
Grote Bickersstraat 74-78
Brinkhof > The Legal 500 RankingsBrinkhof’s dedicated data protection practice ‘goes the extra mile’ to assist a high-profile list of national and international clients with the full range of data protection mandates; the team is particularly active in the TMT sector and counts T-Mobile, DLL and VoetbalTV on its client roster. The group is highly experienced in complex data work and has been increasingly active in data litigation; it is currently representing Google in Supreme Court litigation relating to the right to be forgotten. Quinten Kroes leads the department, which also fields online platform specialist Remy Chavannes, newly promoted partner Dorien Verhulst and associate Manon Oostveen.
‘The Brinkhof Data Privacy and Data Protection practice is well equipped to make sure that they go that extra mile to get a real sense about your business and the issue at hand, before providing any advice. This results in a good working relationship, with pragmatic and directly applicable advice that fits your industry perfectly.’
‘Eager to understand your business, your products, and the types of customers that we typically work with. They have the ability to match the speed of a growing tech or SaaS company and have a risk-based decision making process that focuses on resolving that matter at hand, rather than providing us as a client with a wide range of potential scenarios we need to choose from ourselves.’
‘The data privacy and data protection practice is spot on with regard to the latest developments in data privacy and data protection. They act proactively and are able to transfer their knowledge to practical solutions. Their exceptional knowledge serves their ability to solve problems and advise proactively.’
‘Quinten and Manon have an exceptional knowledge of data protection, know the boundaries and are able to advise proactively. They are also able to acknowledge your risk appetite and come with practical solutions to make things possible. I also appreciate their no-nonsense style.’
Duchenne Parent Project (and associated Duchenne initiatives)
- Representing VoetbalTV in ongoing enforcement proceedings initiated by the Dutch DPA regarding the GDPR legal basis for its filming and online distribution of amateur football matches.
- Advising Google on the data protection impact assessment undertaken on behalf of the national government and subsequent negotiations regarding the potential use of Google’s cloud services by government bodies.
- Defending Google in Supreme Court litigation about the so-called ‘right to be forgotten’ in relation to sensitive personal data.
Eliane de Vilder; Wieke van Angeren
Other key lawyers:
Teun Burgers; Lucas Sweering
‘The team is very strong in copyright and information technology.’
‘They are quick, direct and commercial. We have dealt with Remy Chavennes, Wieke van Angeren, Teun Bergers, Jan Pot and Lucas Sweering in particular.’
‘Brinkhof has one of the largest and most experienced dedicated IT-contracting practice in the Netherlands.’
‘Teun Burgers is our preferred lawyer for all our complex contracting work which he always brings to a successful closing. Teun is extremely knowledgeable, responsive, time-efficient and overall very pleasant to work with.’
‘Teun Burgers: excellent and flexible, availability, maintaining overview during long contract negotiations.’
Athlon Car Lease
De Goede Woning
De Lage Landen
Duchenne Parent Project
First Dutch Innovations (previously: TNO Companies)
Perfetti van Melle
Sketch (previously Bohemian)
- Assisted Google with its negotiations with the Dutch State for the purchase of Google’s cloud services.
- Advised ERIKS on a global WAN outsourcing project with AT&T.
- Advised Intertrust on a landmark deal with FIFA in relation to the FIFA clearing house, a software tool developed by our client to enable FIFA to clear transfer payments within the global football player transfer market.
Remy Chavannes; Dorien Verhulst
Other key lawyers:
Anke Strijbos; Anne Bruna
‘Brinkhof really bridges the legal discussion back and forth to the digital service offering, business models and commercial strategy of clients. In this way, the legal strategy and approach gets deeply embedded into and aligned with the overall commercial course of its clients. As a concrete illustration; Brinkhof tangibly understands the digital product offering of my company and how it is different from other alternatives in the market.’
‘The team combines state of the art legal knowledge with a very practical approach, founded in a true understanding of the fact that there is often a gap between the amount of additional research and discussions that should ideally be had on a certain situation and the reality of the business floor.’
‘Remy Chavannes is an excellent partner. It is a true joy to work with him. He is analytical and very capable of translating complex legal situations into practical and straightforward advice. Besides that, he has a good radar for political sensitivities and acts strategically where required. Remy is the kind of lawyer that can make his client swallow a bitter legal pill and still be thanked for it by a group of happy people at the end of the call.’
‘Its knowledge in those highly specialised areas (such as media, copyright, information, privacy and IT law) is excellent and the reason I choose this law firm when I need help in any of these area’s. It is on top of its game, also when it comes to innovative areas. It has extensive knowledge of the business I am in, which knowledge does not always seem to be present as much at other law firms I’ve engaged with.’
‘I’ve mostly worked with Remy Chavannes (Partner), Anke Strijbos and Anne Bruna. Remy Chavannes’ knowledge of the media industry is exceptional, which is a really big must for any case I deal with due to it having so many particularities. All 3 lawyers seem to have that rare quality that, despite being legal purists and performing on a high adademic level, they are still able to have a pragmatic and down to earth approach in terms of communication, setting out strategy and problem solution. And above all, they are really pleasant to deal with and very commited to each case they deal with.’
‘Brinkhof consists of excellent high-class lawyers with an in-depth knowledge of entertainment rights and neighbouring rights, which they keep very up to date.’
‘Both Remy Chavannes and Anke Strijbos are the lawyers I’m working with most. Excellent toprated lawyers who ‘take on’a case and act as their own law firm is at stake if they lose it.’
Association of Dutch Commercial Radio broadcasters
Fox Channels International
Eredivisie Media & Marketing
RTL Group/RTL Nederland
Sky Radio and Radio Veronica, two radio stations which are part of Talpa Radio
- Representing Google in all of its Dutch litigation, including acting for its video platform YouTube in cutting-edge proceedings concerning the take-down of two videos due to violations of Google’s COVID 19 disinformation policies. The case was at the epicentre of a big public debate relating to censorship versus the avoidance of disinformation.
- Acting for pan-European commercial broadcasting organisation RTL Group in administrative litigation in Belgium relating to jurisdiction over RTL’s French-language Belgian channels.
- Acting for the Association of Dutch Commercial Radio Broadcasters, which represents the Netherlands’ national commercial radio broadcasters, as well as individual member broadcasters, in high-stakes performing-rights rate-setting litigation against collective management organisation Sena.
Pepijn van Ginneken; Quinten Kroes
‘Standout partner leading a team of solid associates. Diversity is key for us and we see that reflected at Brinkhof, far more than in other European firms. We’re thrilled that the team has seamlessly adapted to our internal tools (Gsuite, billing, etc.).’
‘Remy Chavannes has outstanding legal expertise spanning the telecom, media and digital landscapes. He’s smart, approachable and delivers advice that is concrete & rooted in real life.’
‘Very knowledgeable on telecoms business. Very well connected to the client’s interests.’
‘Remy Chavannes. Creative thinker. Nice to work with. High quality litigation. Dorien Verhulst. Extremely good reader and analyst of complex telecoms files. Hard worker. Very valuable lawyer.’
- Representing T-Mobile, the largest mobile operator in the Netherlands, in connection with its challenge to the record fine imposed by regulator ACM in relation to online compliance with consumer protection regulations.
- Representing Oppo and Xiaomi with cases relating to their alleged infringements of standard essential patents, raising important points of both patent and competition law.
- Providing On-demand video streaming platform with regulatory support in its dealings with various EU telecommunications regulators (BEREC) and media regulators (ERGA), illustrating our strength in specialist regulatory issues.
Richard Ebbink; Mark van Gardingen
Other key lawyers:
‘Good analysis of the situation. Remaining cool in all situations. Good risk appraisal.’
‘Jan Pot: leader – good explanation of the risks involved preparing A and B scenarios.’
‘Simply the best patent litigation practice in the Netherlands and one of the best in Europe.’
‘Mark van Gardingen – smart and works tirelessly for his clients’ objectives. Always “on” and always thinking about his client’s cases’.
‘Daan de Lange – charming, intelligent and a smart strategic thinker. Someone you want with you and not against you’.
‘Koen Bijvank – one of the cleverest patent attorneys in Europe. Jan Pot – a star of the future.’
The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
- Assisting Accord in complex patent cases against major pharmaceuticals originators on a worldwide basis, including overseeing litigation in numerous different European countries, and coordinating the company’s pan-European litigation strategy.
- Successfully representing OPPO, one of the largest manufacturers of mobile phones, in a multijurisdictional dispute with Sisvel regarding one of Sisvel’s standard essential patents (SEPs).
- Acting for the Broad Institute in connection with its discovery and development of the ground-breaking CRISPR technology for genome editing, including representing the client in matters related to its significant European CRISPR patent portfolio and other patents.
Kurt Stöpetie; Gregor Vos; Remy Chavannes; Dorien Verhulst
‘Brinkhof is a highly professional organization. We work mainly with Dorien Verhulst (partner) and in additional with Remy Chavannes (partner). High level of expertise, friendly, good insight into our business and well known on international and sector-specific laws.’
‘It is a real pleasure to work with Brinkhof. They truly act as a partner instead of just another law firm. Working with Dorien Verhulst feels like working with one of your closest colleague’s. She is very much aware of all details and always available. She did a great job during the legal proceedings which we won and now prepares the litigation process. Her advice and support cover all areas, including press, lobby’s and external relationships. It is so much more than just preparing the litigation.’
‘Gregor Vos and Rutger Stoop are friendly and easy to work with. Theoretically great and in addition pragmatic in solving issues.’
‘Technical skills of members of firm are very good. Communication is very fluent and precise.’
‘Adee Keepy is an outstanding professional.’
‘They are a very smooth outfit with excellent associates and counsel.’
‘Rutger Stoop is extremely likeable, always helpful, and a great litigator. His contributions are commercially astute and compelling. He is not afraid to think outside the box.’
‘Gregor Vos remains cool and calm under pressure no matter what. His court performances are always very slick.’
Association of Dutch Commercial Radio Broadcasters
WILD / SiSi Werke (Capri Sun)
- Representing IKEA in pan-EU trade mark litigation regarding key products, including coordination of legal advice and representation across multiple EU jurisdictions in this high profile case.
- Continues to represent Adidas in all trade mark and design rights issues in the Benelux region, including in a Supreme Court case relating to the well-known 3 Stripes trademark.
- Representing Infineon Technologies in the landmark case against NXP regarding the latter’s trade mark MIFARE up to the Supreme Court.
Pepijn van Ginneken; Quinten Kroes
‘The team is consistently professional, available to claimants whenever necessary and proactive in sharing advice.’
‘Pepijn van Ginneken – Incredibly knowledgeable, approachable, proactive and always happy to support the wider team in any way. A true team player.’
‘Brinkhof’s EU competition practice is very approachable and always able to deliver.’
‘Hanneke Kooijman is the rising star within the ranks of Brinkhof’s EU and competition practice.’
‘The key contact is Pepijn van Ginneken, who is an extremely assured and well-connected lawyer. In particular, he is precise and brief, and an extremely good adviser (not always the case in NL, even where the lawyers are very knowledgeable). I’ve worked with many of the best known competition lawyers in NL and Pepijn/Brinkhof is my preference.’
‘The knowledge about competition law within the pharmacy market is excellent. I have dealt within Pepijn van Ginneken. I have great confidence in his knowledge in this area. He does his best to understand what the issue is. He gives well-considered advice appropriate to our organization and the presented problems. He is very approachable. He is able to bring complex problems back to basics.’
‘Very hands-on team. Quick in the “turn-around.” And knowledgeable people.’
‘I have worked for a long time with the partner, Pepijn van Ginneken. Very knowledgeable and extremely skilled. Knows also about the industry!’
- Representing a number of word-wide brewery groups (among them Heineken) and other large companies in international follow-on damages litigation resulting from the trucks cartel.
- Assisted Global Automotive (a leading supplier of tyres in the Netherlands) with a merger notification, resulting in the redefinition of the relevant market by the ACM and a go-ahead for the transaction.
- Represented global travel platform Expedia in an ACM investigation into vouchers issued as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Brinkhof > Firm Profile
The firm: Brinkhof was established as an independent Dutch law firm in 2005. Its lawyers are dedicated, experienced litigators, advisors, drafters, and negotiators. They cater to clients from innovative industries, including high-tech, pharma, medical devices, media, telecoms, retail, food, fashion, and financial. The breadth of knowledge and depth of specialist experience makes Brinkhof a centre of legal expertise for modern markets. Brinkhof’s IP practice is one of the broadest in the Netherlands. Its platforms regulation & litigation team advises several of the world’s online giants. The competition team is the premier team for the full range of competition and regulatory law advice. The IT team is known for its expertise in the area of sourcing and IT contracting. Brinkhof has dedicated and experienced privacy law specialists providing clients with practical business advice. Seasoned non-contentious IP specialists also deal with licensing, R&D arrangements and similar transactions on a daily basis.
Main areas of practice
Patent litigation general:
- Represented Dow Chemical Company in trade secret misappropriation proceedings regarding opaque and non-opaque polymers (for use in paints) against Organik Kimya (up to the Supreme Court).
- Represented Boston Scientific in several proceedings regarding cardiovascular technology (vascular stents, stent coatings, heart catheters) against various competitors.
- Represented Xiaomi and OPPO in several proceedings against Sisvel on injunctions in case of standard essential patents (SEPs) and FRAND-conditions.
- Represented Heineken in several proceedings against Anheuser-Busch InBev before the Hague specialised patent courts and coordinated the worldwide patent dispute.
- Represented The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard in matters related to their European CRISPR patent portfolio and other related patents.
Pharmaceuticals and biotech:
- Represented Sandoz in various pending nullity and infringement proceedings concerning generic medicaments, e.g. against AstraZeneca (esomeprazole and quetiapine), GlaxoSmithKline (salmeterol + fluticasone), Leo Pharma (calcipotriol), Merck (dorzolamide + timolol), and Sanofi-Aventis (docetaxel).
- Represented Synthon in nullity and infringement proceedings against various competitors, including Astellas (tamsulosine) and Teva (glatiramer acetate).
- Represented Celtrion in nullity proceedings against Biogen, Roche and Genentech (rituximab).
- Represented Novozymes in multi-jurisdictional nullity and infringement proceedings against DSM (lactose for milk).
- Represented Accord Healthcare in nullity and infringement proceedings against competitors, including against AstraZeneca (quetiapine) and Medac (methotrexate).
IP and unfair competition:
- Legal support to Google for IP matters, including trademark, domain name and Adwords related disputes and licensing and privacy issues.
- Represented WILD in international trademark litigation aimed at protecting the shape of the CAPRI-SUN branded fruit juice pouches.
- Advised and represented Adidas in all of its IP issues in the Netherlands, amongst which litigation in the textbook case about the well-known 3 Stripes trademark of Adidas.
- Represented Nestle in European proceedings against Cadbury (Mondelez) regarding its EU trademarks for the shapes of its KitKat products.
- Represented T-Mobile in advertising proceedings against Vodafone, Ziggo and KPN.
- Advised LeasePlan on its IP portfolio, including coordination of enforcement and strategy of its IP rights throughout the Benelux and Europe, providing LeasePlan with guidance on its product introductions, and product commercials.
- Represented Infineon in a trademark dispute against NXP regarding public transport technology.
- Supported a leading Dutch company in the financial and leasing industry in a multi-jurisdictional WAN project, as well as on agile and DevOps issues.
- Supported Euronext-listed Dutch multinational Nedap in drafting all of its template agreements and representing it in complex negotiations with business partners and customers.
- Assisted USG People in replacing several business critical IT systems supporting front and back office processes.
- Advised ERIKS on various multi-jurisdictional sourcing matters in connection with its global operations.
- Represented WhatsApp in the Dutch Data Protection Authority’s inquiry into its use of telephone numbers.
- Advised Randstad in the Dutch Data Protection Authority’s inquiry into its processing of employee data.
- Represented Dutch Railways in litigation on personal data and public transport cards.
EU and competition:
- Represented merging parties in national and international merger control cases, such as former telecoms incumbent KPN.
- Represented clients in national and international litigation on abuse of dominance, such as the international airport Schiphol.
- Represented parties in cartel and regulatory litigation, such as energy incumbent Nuon.
- Represented defendants in civil cartel damage cases domestically, such as in the Pressed Steel and Paraffin Wax cartels.
- Acting for online platforms in several investigations by the national competition authority ACM, such as Google.
Media, entertainment and reputation management:
- Acted for Google in a significant number of proceedings about delisting of search results under the European ‘right to be forgotten’, removal of hosted content, and provision of user data.
- Advised several major tech companies regarding EU regulation of online platforms, including audiovisual media services, copyright, and hate speech.
- Represented Fox Sports Eredivisie in commercial image-rights litigation.
- Represented public broadcaster Omroep MAX in civil defamation proceedings over a TV broadcast, and in administrative proceedings over rights to a broadcasting slot and over a fine imposed in relation to merchandising for the Dutch version of the Great British Bake Off.
- Represented the association of Dutch commercial radio broadcasters in music royalty rate-setting litigation.
- Advised a number of broadcasters and online media platforms in relation to cable distribution, collective rights, and jurisdiction under the AVMS directive.
- Represented financial newspaper Het Financieele Dagblad in a number of defamation proceedings.
- Represented KPN in appeal procedures regarding Vodafone-Ziggo and Liberty-Ziggo before the EU Court of Justice.
- Represented Sky Radio in litigation against the Dutch State relating to the license fees imposed for the extension of radio licenses.
- Represented Tele2 in civil damages litigation relating to the introduction of shared broadband access.
- Represented Eurofiber in various telecoms regulatory matters, including its successful appeal against near-net regulation.
- Represented CAIW in an EU state aid notification for next generation access networks.
Managing partners: Richard Ebbink, Quinten Kroes
Number of partners: 14
Number of lawyers: 39
Languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian
|Patent litigation||Richard Ebbinkfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Patent litigation||Mark van Gardingenemail@example.com|
|Patent validity and infringement||Daan de Langefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Patent validity and infringement||Koen Bijvankemail@example.com|
|Patent litigation||Jan Potfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Patent litigation||Rien Broekstraemail@example.com|
|Trade mark litigation||Gregor Vosfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Trade mark litigation||Kurt Stöpetieemail@example.com|
|Unfair competition||Gregor Vosfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Unfair competition||Kurt Stöpetieemail@example.com|
|Life sciences||Mark van Gardingenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Life sciences||Daan de Langeemail@example.com|
|Pharmaceuticals and biotech||Mark van Gardingenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pharmaceuticals and biotech||Koen Bijvankemail@example.com|
|Copyright protection||Remy Chavannesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Copyright protection||Dorien Verhulstemail@example.com|
|Copyright protection||Gregor Vosfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Licensing||Wieke van Angerenemail@example.com|
|Licensing||Eliane de Vilderfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|IP portfolio management||Gregor Vosemail@example.com|
|IP portfolio management||Kurt Stöpetiefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|EPO oppositions||Koen Bijvankemail@example.com|
|EPO oppositions||Mark van Gardingenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Supplementary protection certificates||Koen Bijvankemail@example.com|
|Supplementary protection certificates||Daan de Langefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|EU and competition||Pepijn van Ginnekenemail@example.com|
|Media and entertainment||Remy Chavannesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Media and entertainment||Quinten Kroesemail@example.com|
|Telecoms||Pepijn van Ginnekenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|IT||Eliane de Vilderemail@example.com|
|IT||Wieke van Angerenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Privacy and data protection||Quinten Kroesemail@example.com|
|Koen Bijvank||Partner||View Profile|
|Remy Chavannes||Partner||View Profile|
|Daan De Lange||Partner in patent litigation||View Profile|
|Eliane De Vilder||Partner||View Profile|
|Richard Ebbink||Partner||View Profile|
|Quinten Kroes||Partner||View Profile|
|Jan Pot||Partner||View Profile|
|Kurt Stöpetie||Partner||View Profile|
|Wieke Van Angeren||Partner||View Profile|
|Mark Van Gardingen||Partner||View Profile|
|Pepijn Van Ginneken||Partner||View Profile|
|Dorien Verhulst||Partner||View Profile|
|Gregor Vos||Partner||View Profile|