Shaw Graham Kersh > London, England > Firm Profile
Shaw Graham Kersh Offices
35/36 GREAT MARLBOROUGH STREET
Shaw Graham Kersh > The Legal 500 Rankings
Shaw Graham Kersh fields a hugely experienced team of lawyers who act in cases concerning the full range of criminal matters, including gang, firearms and drugs investigations, terrorism investigations, murder, manslaughter and assault cases, allegations of sexual assault (both current and historic), and contempt proceedings. Managing partner Paul Graham, head of general crime Philip Hill and private client head Raymond Shaw are the key figures in the team, and are seen as 'stalwarts of the London criminal market'. The firm prides itself on deploying a more traditional approach to client care that means clients retain the same person running their case from police station through to court.
Paul Graham; Philip Hill
Other key lawyers:
‘A small, committed team with lots of practical experience, they are head and shoulders above most firms for dedication and quality.’
‘An absolutely fantastic criminal defence team who provide the highest quality service to their clients. Many lawyers send clients to them by way of personal recommendation – a testament to the trust they hold with the profession.’
‘Raymond Shaw – a highly experienced litigator who is diligent, creative and devoted to his clients. He is a pleasure to work with and is tactically astute.’
‘Paul Graham has an excellent and well-deserved reputation amongst the legal profession and clients alike. He runs his firm like he runs his cases – with tact, focus and sound judgement.’
‘Highly committed to outstanding levels of service to all clients. Courageous approach to defence strategies and imaginative approach to problem solving in difficult circumstances.’
‘Philip Hill is an outstanding solicitor. He is extremely hard-working, knows his cases back-to-front and there is nobody better with clients. His kindness and sensitivity is widely recognised.’
‘Both Paul Graham and Raymond Shaw are stalwarts of the London criminal market and should be praised for their client care, especially with regard to legally aided clients.’
‘A strong and diverse team of lawyers, led by four very able partners. Despite the pressures placed on them by the criminal justice system, Shaw Graham Kersh continue to represent clients at all levels with the utmost professionalism in both the private and legally aided markets.’
- Acted for a barrister facing potential contempt of court proceedings for her part in allegedly improperly disclosing documentation relating to the Horizon Post Office Appeals in contempt of Court.
- Successfully appealed against a conviction for rape of the client’s former girlfriend, and then secured his acquittal at retrial.
Shaw Graham Kersh > Firm Profile
The firm: Based in the West End, the firm is committed to providing representation of the highest quality, irrespective of a client’s background or history. Shaw Graham Kersh understands that however major or minor the offence, for the individual involved, the experience can be traumatic. The approach therefore combines top level pragmatic expertise with sensitivity and total discretion.
Clients: The firm’s diverse client base ranges from those who have never previously found themselves involved in the criminal justice system, to those with extensive experience. The firm’s representation therefore extends from those alleged to be sophisticated fraudsters, or hardened members of gangs and what the police term ‘Organised Crime Groups’, to those, including professional clients, facing a sometimes terrifying process for the first time. A significant proportion of these clients are referred by lawyers and accountants, who welcome the firm’s expertise, our commitment to client care and our passion to achieve the best possible result for each client.
Our work: The firm undertakes both private and publicly funded work. Established in 1999, offering specialist criminal defence services, the firm benefits from a wealth of experience invested in not just its partners, but also in its solicitors and paralegals, a number of whom have been with the firm from shortly after its inception. The firm quickly gained recognition as a leading firm in the field and has been recommended in The Legal 500 for many years. Each partner brings a particular area of expertise to the firm, and is assisted by a dedicated team of lawyers and assistants who have themselves been with the firm for many years.
We have bucked the trend for operating separate teams for police station work, Magistrates, and Crown Court proceedings. At Shaw Graham Kersh, whenever possible, the same lawyer who has conduct of the matter during the investigation stage will retain conduct throughout the case process, providing continuity, security and better service for the client
The firm undertakes all work associated with criminal law, but has an established reputation in particular as regards very serious criminal offences, such as terrorism, murder, fraud and large scale drug trafficking.
- Shaw Graham Kersh is recognised as a leading firm in respect of fraud work and economic crime, and is involved in the most complex, high volume and high value trials, for which a dedicated team from the office is earmarked, headed up by Raymond Shaw. Please see our website for further details.
- The firm has particular expertise in homicide cases with in depth knowledge of murder investigations built over decades, from the initial days of Operation Trident, as well as NCA investigations, the Specialist Crime Directorate teams based at Scotland Yard and Organised Crime Command operations. A parallel expertise has been established in the difficult cases involving child and infant deaths and psychiatric homicides.
- The firm also has a wealth of experience in defending the largest drug conspiracies, from international smuggling operations through to ‘County Lines’ cases and represents clients involved in EncroChat investigations.
- The well-established fraud department has represented clients in respect of mortgage and VAT fraud, carousel/MTIC fraud, carbon credit and boiler room fraud, film tax fraud, money laundering, pension fraud, revenue and tax fraud, as well as election fraud. These cases are typically investigated and prosecuted by specialist fraud units including the Serious Fraud Office, HM Revenue & Customs, serious fraud crime units of the police and CPS, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Competition and Markets Authority, and other regulatory authorities. The firm regularly conducts VHCC (very high cost cases funded by the Legal Aid Authority) and has significant experience conducting complex restraint and confiscation proceedings.
- The firm is versed in the delicate task of defending the ever growing number and range of allegations of historic sexual assault.
- In addition to its criminal work, the firm also defends professionals within regulatory proceedings, focusing on those who face potential criminal liability.
- The firm retains an extradition department that has been involved in precedent setting cases.
- The firm maintains strong connections with family law firms dealing with international child abduction/Hague Convention matters and domestic violence allegations.
- The firm is linked to a US legal agency providing expert assistance on any aspect of US law.
For further information concerning the above or for information on private road traffic cases please refer to the firm’s website or contact the office to speak to a solicitor.
|Managing Partner, General Crime, Fraud||Paul Graham|
|Head General Crime, Fraud||Philip Hill|
|Head of Fraud and Private Client||Raymond Shaw|
|Paul Graham||As a founding and Managing Partner, Paul now heads up our serious…||View Profile|
|Philip Hill||Philip is a Partner and heads the General Crime department. Philip has…||View Profile|
|Raymond Shaw||Raymond heads our private client and fraud departments. Recent highlights include: successful…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of UK partners : 3 Number of other UK fee-earners : 10
LanguagesFrench Punjabi Urdu
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general