Firm Profile > Shaw Graham Kersh > London, England
Shaw Graham Kersh Offices
35/36 GREAT MARLBOROUGH STREET
Shaw Graham Kersh > The Legal 500 Rankings
Crime: general Tier 2
Shaw Graham Kersh is highly experienced in handling a broad range of serious criminal cases; recent work has included cases involving murder, drugs conspiracies and gang crime. Paul Graham and Philip Hill head the practice. Raymond Shaw has particular expertise in fraud work.
Paul Graham; Philip Hill
Other key lawyers:
Shaw Graham Kersh > Firm Profile
Based in the West End, the firm is committed to providing representation of the highest quality, irrespective of a client’s background or history. Shaw Graham Kersh understands that however major or minor the offence, for the individual involved, the experience can be traumatic. The approach therefore combines top level pragmatic expertise with sensitivity and total discretion.
The firm’s diverse client base ranges from those who have never previously found themselves involved in the criminal justice system, to those with extensive experience. The firm’s representation therefore extends from those alleged to be sophisticated fraudsters, or hardened members of gangs and what the police term ‘Organised Crime Groups’, to those, including professional clients, facing a sometimes terrifying process for the first time. A significant proportion of these clients are referred by lawyers and accountants, who welcome the firm’s expertise, our commitment to client care and our passion to achieve the best possible result for each client.
The firm undertakes both private and publicly funded work. Established in 1999, offering specialist criminal defence services, the firm benefits from a wealth of experience invested in not just its partners, but also in its solicitors and paralegals, a number of whom have been with the firm from shortly after its inception. The firm quickly gained recognition as a leading firm in the field and has been recommended in The Legal 500 for many years. Each partner brings a particular area of expertise to the firm, and is assisted by a dedicated team of lawyers and assistants who have themselves been with the firm for many years.
We have bucked the trend for operating separate teams for police station work, Magistrates, and Crown Court proceedings. At Shaw Graham Kersh, whenever possible, the same lawyer who has conduct of the matter during the investigation stage will retain conduct throughout the case process, providing continuity, security and better service for the client
The firm undertakes all work associated with criminal law, but has an established reputation in particular as regards very serious criminal offences, such as terrorism, murder, fraud and large scale drug trafficking.
- Shaw Graham Kersh is recognised as a leading firm in respect of fraud work, and is often involved in the most complex, high volume and high value trials, for which a dedicated team from the office is earmarked, headed up by Raymond Shaw. Please see our website for further details.
- The firm has particular expertise in homicide cases with in depth knowledge of murder investigations built over decades, from the initial days of Operation Trident, as well as NCA investigations, the Specialist Crime Directorate teams based at Scotland Yard and Organised Crime Command operations. A parallel expertise has been established in the difficult cases involving child and infant deaths and psychiatric homicides.
- The firm also has a wealth of experience in defending the largest drug conspiracies, from international smuggling operations through to ‘County Lines’ cases.
- The well-established fraud department has represented clients in respect of mortgage and VAT fraud, carousel/MTIC fraud, carbon credit and boiler room fraud, film tax fraud, money laundering, pension fraud, revenue and tax fraud, as well as election fraud. These cases are typically investigated and prosecuted by specialist fraud units including the Serious Fraud Office, HM Revenue & Customs, serious fraud crime units of the police and CPS, the Department of Trade and Industry, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Competition and Markets Authority, and other regulatory authorities. The firm regularly conducts VHCC (very high cost cases funded by the Legal Aid Authority) and has significant experience conducting complex restraint and confiscation proceedings.
- The firm is versed in the delicate task of defending the ever growing number and range of allegations of historic sexual assault.
- In addition to its criminal work, the firm also defends professionals within regulatory proceedings, focusing on those who face potential criminal liability.
- The firm retains an extradition department that has been involved in precedent setting cases.
- The firm maintains strong connections with family law firms dealing with international child abduction/Hague Convention matters and domestic violence allegations.
- The firm is linked to a US legal agency providing expert assistance on any aspect of US law.
For further information concerning the above or for information on private road traffic cases please refer to the firm’s website or contact the office to speak to a solicitor.
|Managing Partner, General Crime, Fraud||Paul Graham|
|Head General Crime, Fraud||Philip Hill|
|Head of Fraud and Private Client||Raymond Shaw|
|Mr Paul Graham||As a founding and Managing Partner, Paul now heads up our serious…||View Profile|
|Mr Philip Hill||Philip is a Partner and heads the General Crime department. Philip has…||View Profile|
|Mr Raymond Shaw||Raymond heads our private client and fraud departments. He has been recommended…||View Profile|