Ferchiou & associés > Tunis, Tunisia > Firm Profile
Ferchiou & associés Offices
34 PLACE DU 14 JANVIER 2011
Ferchiou & associés > The Legal 500 RankingsFerchiou & associés houses a dominant lender-side practice, which is well versed in both conventional and Islamic finance matters. The firm acts for an impressive roster of banks and financial institutions, particularly international development banks such as EBRD, EIB and IFC, and it is also sought after by borrowers. Amina Larbi focuses on banking and project finance, with particular expertise in PPP and concession projects. Omar Ferchiou is New York- and Tunisia-qualified and advises local and international clients on finance matters. Managing partner Noureddine Ferchiou is noted for his record in complex, cross-border transactions.
Omar Ferchiou; Rym Ferchiou; Amina Larbi
Other key lawyers:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
European Investment Bank
International Finance Corporation
Société de Promotion et de Participation pour la Coopération Economique
- Advised EBRD on an unsecured loan of up to €5m granted to Arab Tunisian Lease.
- Acted for EBRD on a senior unsecured loan granted to Compagnie Internationale de Leasing.
Amina Larbi; Rym Ferchiou; Omar Ferchiou
Ferchiou & associés > Firm Profile
With over 30 years of experience in providing legal counsel and assistance, Ferchiou & Associés is recognized as a leading firm in Tunisia. The firm has been consistently involved in the country’s high-profile projects, whether in terms of investment or complexity and is well known for its negotiation skills. Clients range from international corporations and investors seeking to develop a business activity on the Tunisian market to active local groups seeking assistance in relation to their project development on the Tunisian market as well as overseas.
Noureddine Ferchiou, founder and managing partner, has over 30 years of governmental and institutional expertise with exceptional professional knowledge of the country’s challenges and ongoing business and legal opportunities.
Nasr Kemicha leads the litigation department of Ferchiou and Associés as partner. Nasr has developed extensive experience in commercial litigation and arbitration on both domestic and international levels.
Omar and Rym Ferchiou were both made partner in 2018.
Omar advises local and international companies on the legal aspects of their investments and projects in Tunisia and specializes in mergers & acquisitions, banking & finance, oil and gas, renewable energies, IT and telecommunications.
Rym heads the corporate department and provides assistance on all aspects of business law, focusing on mergers & acquisitions and corporate reorganization. She has also developed extensive expertise in other fields such as banking and finance, foreign exchange, tax, stock exchange and competition law.
With partners ranging from different backgrounds and holding a variety of expertise, clients draw upon the skills of the country’s most connected, respected and integrated law firm.
Mergers and acquisitions: Recent transactional highlights:
- Legal assistance to Orange in relation to a merger control notification with the Tunisian authorities regarding the acquisition by a consortium of investors of Orange Concessions.
- Legal counsel to Britus Education in relation to the acquisition of a majority stake in a local school.
- Legal assistance to the group Italcostar in relation to its acquisition of the company, Renomoteurs.
- Legal assistance to Sotualem and shareholders in the frame of the company’s acquisition by major Finnish company specialising in elevators, escalators and automatic, Koné.
- Legal counsel, in terms of merger control, to Volkswagen AG for the creation of a Joint-Venture with Ford Motors Company dedicated to the development of autonomous vehicles.
- Legal counsel, in terms of merger control, to Peugeot SA for the merger and combination of its respective business with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
Banking and finance: Recent transactional highlights:
- Local counsel for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in relation to a loan of up to EUR 10 million to Land’Or SA, a Tunisian company listed on the Tunis Stock Exchange and specialized in cheese production.
- Legal advisor to European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in relation to an unsecured loan of up to EUR 5 million granted Arab Tunisian Lease (ATL).
- Legal assistance to the Arab Bank in connection with a term loan agreement of USD 50 million granted to the Société Tunisienne des Industries de Raffinage (STIR).
- Legal assistance to the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) for a senior unsecured loan of up to EUR 5 million granted in two tranches to Compagnie Internationale de Leasing. (CIL).
Litigation: The firm is a leading firm in the litigation sector, offering its services to a wide variety of clients, ranging from legal entities and private individuals in civil, commercial and criminal litigation. It also offers its services in arbitration and dispute resolution. Recent transactional highlights:
- Legal assistance and representation of PSA and Citroen Automobiles in relation to litigation before the Competition Council in respect of anti-competition practices (allegations of economic dependence – abuse of dominant position – merger).
- Legal assistance of Air Liquide Tunisie in relation to the investigative process conducted by the Competition Council regarding the pricing of industrial gases.
- Legal counsel to Thomas Cook in relation to its wind-up process.
- Legal counsel to the Emirates group Bukhatir in relation to its investment agreement concluded with the Tunisian State.
- Defending the Libyan Foreign Bank (LFB) in a commercial litigation relating to a documentary credit valued at US$ 250,000,000.
Energy and renewable energies: Ferchiou & Associés is a market leader in the energy industry offering its expertise in relation to renewable energies projects, it also assists its clients in relation to transfer of oil and gas assets, due diligence and regulatory compliance. Recent transactional highlights:
- Legal advisor of the Tunisian Ministry of Energy in relation with the preparation of the new code of renewable energy.
- Legal advisor of the Ministry of energy in relation with preparation of a study to provide a diagnostic study of the land component relating to projects for the production of electricity from renewable energies and the proposal of solutions to promote said projects.
- Legal advisor to lenders financing the renewable energy project performed by Scatec and the consortium Engie/Nareva in Tunisia under the concession regime.
- Legal advisor to the Consortium formed between the “Tunisian Oil Activities Company” ETAP and Eni Italy for the realization of a 10 MW photovoltaic power plant in the Tataouine region under the authorization scheme.
Retail and commercial real estate: Recent transactional highlights:
- Legal assistance to Indigo Property S.A in the review and negotiation of contractual documents for the establishment of Joint Ventures dedicated to the development of urban high standing malls in various regions of the country.
Hospitality: The firm has been involved in the assistance of hotel operators, constructors and owners in relation to their business development in Tunisia. Clients included brands and franchisors (Hilton, Mövenpick, Radisson, Marriott…).
|Omar Ferchioufirstname.lastname@example.org||+216 71 120 500|
|Noureddine Ferchiou||Founding partner of Ferchiou & associés, Nourredine Ferchiou has over thirty years…||View Profile|
|Rym Ferchiou||Rym is a Partner at Ferchiou & Associés law firm. She started…||View Profile|
|Omar Ferchiou||Omar is a Partner at Ferchiou & Associés law firm. He started…||View Profile|
|Ramzi JELALIA||Ramzi is Senior of Counsel in Ferchiou & Associés law firm.||View Profile|
|Nasr Kemicha||Nasr is head of the Litigation Department at Ferchiou & Associés||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of partners : 5 Number of lawyers : 20
LanguagesArabic English French Italian
MembershipsGesica Nextlaw Global Referral Network
- Assistance to the Tunisian Government in the oil and gas sector:
In 2019, Ferchiou & Associés had the opportunity to participate in the project for the renewal of the contract of sale/purchase of Algerian natural gas intended for the Italian market, via the Tunisian territory. This project, according to the statements of the Minister of Industry, Energy, Mines and SMEs, will strengthen the state’s treasury in annual revenues of about 500 million Dinars.
- Bond issuances:
The firm assisted Natixis, Citibank, Standard Chartered Bank in relation to a €700m bond completed by the Tunisian Central Bank (“CBT”) acting on behalf of the Republic of Tunisia.
- Withdrawal of BNP Paribas from Tunisia:
Legal assistance to BNP PARIBAS for the sale of its stake in UBCI.
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) financing:
Throughout 2019, the firm had the opportunity to assist and advise the European Development and Restructuring Bank in the framework of several financings granted by the bank to Tunisian leasing institutions (CIL, ATL, TLF) and microfinance institutions (ADVANS).
- PROPARCO financing:
The firm acted as legal counsel to PROPARCO in connection with a €12m financing for Compagnie Internationale de Leasing (CIL).
The firm has been involved in the assistance of hotel operators, constructors and owners in relation to their business development in Tunisia. Clients included brands and franchisors (Hilton, Mövenpick, Radisson, Marriott, etc).
- Urban Projects Development:
Ferchiou & Associés acted as Legal counsel in relation to the negotiation and signing of a joint development agreement between Indigo group, a major local retail group and Société de Promotion du Lac de Tunis (“SPLT”), a State-owned entity which manages the development of the Lake region of Tunis, Les Berges du Lac, for the co-development of an urban and commercial project over 5 hectares including mix-use facilities, a business hotel and a high-standing mall.