Transport in Yorkshire And The Humber
The transport practice at Addleshaw Goddard has broad expertise spanning franchising, acquisitions and sales of rolling stock, freight and haulage arrangements, infrastructure projects and instructions relating to urban transit. The group has a particularly strong reputation for its work in the rail sector and also regularly handles instructions relating to bus services, logistics, port and airport infrastructure and electric vehicles. Paul Hirst, who focuses on the rail sector, jointly heads up the practice alongside real estate specialist Anna Heaton. Legal director Sara Gilmore, who has broad transport expertise, is also a key name to note.
Paul Hirst; Anna Heaton
Other key lawyers:
‘The transport team at Addleshaw Goddard offers practical and up-to-date advice provided by a group of calm and measured lawyers‘.
‘Addleshaw Goddard‘s transport team has an easy and professional approach and maintains a focus on timely inputs, holding to the scope of the brief, and promptly identifies issues and risks that arise‘.
‘Paul Hirst is a hardworking, thorough legal expert who is easy to communicate with, and presents ideas with reasoned arguments of the advantages and disadvantages‘.
‘Paul Hirst is prompt in response to communication and exhibits trustworthiness, which can be relied on.‘
Department for Transport
Hitachi Rail Europe Limited
Ove Arup & Partners Limited
The Road Haulage Association (RHA)
London Luton Airport Limited
VTG Rail UK Ltd
West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA)
- Instructed by the Department for Transport to advise on a new rail franchise, the West Coast Partnership, which will combine the current InterCity West Coast services with the development and introduction of High Speed 2 services.
- Advised Ove Arup & Partners on the possible funding and delivery structures for a potential Northern Powerhouse Rail station at Bradford.
- Assisted Hitachi Rail Europe with its bid to Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive for the Metro Futures fleet replacement programme.
- Advising Merseytravel on its bus services options appraisal and on the formulation of a business case to improve the delivery of bus services in the Liverpool City Region, using the powers available to it as a combined authority with the Metro Mayor under the Bus Services Act 2017.
- Acted for Freightliner on the company’s entry into a long-term, bulk rail-haulage contract with Mendip Rail, a joint venture between two of the UK’s largest aggregate and cement producers, Hanson Aggregates and Aggregate Industries.
Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP's department has the capabilities to handle a range of contentious and non-contentious shipping matters. The group's experience ranges from charter party disputes, carriage of goods by sea, speed and performance claims and collisions, to commercial contract advice, the use and hire of vessels, ship sale and purchase transactions and ship finance matters. Practice head Dominic Ward focuses on dry shipping and cargo work and assists clients with carriage of goods and international trade agreements, while Andrew Oliver handles a range of ship finance and fisheries instructions. Other lawyers to note include associate Sarah Pether, for the defence of personal injury claims, and senior solicitor Paul Newbon, who has experience in a range of contentious shipping instructions.
‘Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP provides good practical advice that is delivered in a way that clients can comprehend with prompt response times and consistent service levels’.
Associated British Ports
SMS Towage Limited
Blue Water Shipping
Maritime Coastguard Agency
Jotun Paints (Europe) Limited
- Successfully represented Lynn Shellfish in a shipping boundary dispute.
- Advised Blue Water Shipping Denmark on various contracts relating to the transport, handling and storage of 113,000 pipes required for the £40m Nord Stream 2 project.
- Acted for Wilson Yacht Management in an arbitration and the enforcement of the arbitration award against the owner of the superyacht Indian Empress relating to unpaid invoices for the provision of safety and security compliance certification.
The transport team at DLA Piper UK LLP is highlighted for its expertise in a broad range of public transport matters, including rail and bus service issues and road, highway and bridge projects; it is also developing a growing expertise in the aviation sector. Robert Smith, who is regularly instructed by public and private sector clients on a range of transport matters, and Petra Billing, who focuses on planning and property litigation, jointly lead the team from the Leeds and Sheffield offices respectively. The Leeds-based team also includes Allison Page, who has expertise in a range of public sector projects, head of infrastructure planning Andrew Batterton and legal director Carla Hancock, who has particular experience in rail and highway projects.
Robert Smith; Petra Billing
Department for Transport
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM)
Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive (Nexus)
British Airways plc
Hitachi Rail Europe
National Air Traffic Services
Transport for Wales
Transport for the North
- Defending High Speed Two against a statutory demand and the threat of a winding-up order brought by an individual claiming he was owed an advanced compensation payment relating to land HS2 is proposing to compulsory purchase.
- Advising Abellio East Anglia on property issues relating to its station and ancillary franchise portfolio.
- Advising the Department for Transport on matters relating to access for Crossrail services to the Heathrow Spur – the rail line used by the Heathrow Express and Connect to access Heathrow Airport.
- Acting for Transport for Wales and the Welsh Government on the reform of bus services across Wales.
- Advising Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive on the £350m procurement of new rolling stock and associated long-term maintenance arrangements.
The aviation team at Plexus Law is known predominantly for handling personal injury claims, fatalities, damage to aircraft, property damage and contractual disputes. It has a strong reputation acting for insurers, and also counts airport operators, ground handlers, light aircraft owners, airlines, concessions and fuel suppliers among its clients. Jarrod Parker has a breadth of experience in aviation and aerospace sector claims and heads up the practice, which includes associate Jennifer Chan, who is an airport operators liability claims expert, and solicitor Jennifer Howden, who assists with a range of general aviation losses.
‘The aviation team at Plexus Law has a great understanding of the nuances of operating airports‘.
‘Plexus Law‘s aviation team is always happy to help and has a great deal of experience in the industry sector, which it is able to use in dealing with any new claims‘.
‘Jarrod Parker and his team are very supportive in representing the interests of businesses and their insurers‘.
La Réunion Aérienne
Starr Underwriting Agents Limited
Tokio Marine Kiln
- Advised Biggin Hill Airport on damage caused following an incident in which an aircraft self-manoeuvred from a parked position onto the taxiway prior to takeoff.
- Instructed on behalf of the insured by AIG as underwriter in a claim brought by passengers relating to a loss of cabin pressure mid-flight, which resulted in an emergency situation and a rapid mid-air descent.
Shulmans LLP has notable capacity to assist clients with a range of regulatory road transport issues, including acting in public inquiries, criminal proceedings and hearings before the traffic commissioner. Key names to note include practice head Richard Wadkin, who is noted for his regulatory advice and advocacy in court and public inquiries, and Jim Wright, who has experience in road-related employment issues.
Other key lawyers:
Enviro Skip Hire Limited
Matrix Logistics UK Limited
London Tipping Services
OLMC Training Limited
- Successfully defended Enviro Skip Hire in a charge relating to permitting the operation of a vehicle in an unsafe condition.
- Acted for Wastecare in a public inquiry.
- Acted for Matrix Logistics UK in a public inquiry .
The transport regulatory team at Weightmans has capabilities across the sector with clients including contractors, infrastructure owners, post and courier service providers, hauliers, bus and coach companies, and marine insurers. Liverpool-based Dewi Ap-Thomas and associate Martin English head up the national team; the Leeds group includes Gary Hodgson, who is experienced in road regulatory matters at hearings, inquiries and tribunals, and Ben Daniel, who is a key name for employment matters, particularly transport-related industrial disputes.
Dewi Ap-Thomas; Martin English
FirstGroup Plc (UK Bus and Rail)
National Express Group Plc (UK Bus and Coach)
Kirklees Metropolitan Council
Wrigleys Solicitors LLP's 'tenacious and friendly' transport property team is highlighted for its representation of train and bus operators in non-contentious property law matters. The group attracts praise for being 'very knowledgeable, going the extra mile, always being available and offering swift and sound advice'. Elizabeth Wilson and Paul Nash jointly head the team and have a particular focus on the rail and bus service sectors respectively. Rachel Meredith has notable experience assisting clients with letting commercial premises at railway stations.
Elizabeth Wilson; Paul Nash
Other key lawyers:
‘Wrigleys Solicitors LLP offers transport sector clients a well balanced team, which has a range of skills which cover a wide knowledge base‘.
‘The transport property team at Wrigleys Solicitors LLP is very professional and has the personal touch when it comes to explaining things in a less legal format‘.
‘The team at Wrigleys Solicitors LLP offers a quick and efficient service which is cost effective in comparison with other law firms‘.
‘Wrigleys Solicitors LLP transport team has extensive hands-on experience and real strength in depth. It stands out for its personal and pro-active service and flair for collaboration‘.
‘Wrigleys Solicitors LLP boasts specialist transport knowledge, is unique and outstrips competitors in that it is familiar with the plethora of acronyms used throughout the rail industry and has a full knowledge of the complex relationships and approval processes dictated by the Department for Transport‘.
‘The transport property team at Wrigleys Solicitors LLP is made up of knowledgeable, industry experts lead by a senior team with first-class knowledge of the sector‘.
Myton Law advises clients on a range of contentious, commercial and regulatory matters in the shipping, transport and logistics sector and counts insurers, ports and freight operators among its client roster. Scott Yates and John Habergham, who specialise in wet and dry shipping issues respectively, jointly head the team alongside rail and logistics expert Chris Thornes, who assists with a range of commercial law and commercial property issues.
Scott Yates; John Habergham; Chris Thornes
‘Although a modest-sized firm, Myton Law has succeeded in a competitive environment by fielding experts in their respective fields, who make up the thoroughly decent, energetic and committed team‘.
‘The practice excels in contractual, property damage and personal injury cases. It has a pragmatic approach and can be relied on to achieve the best possible result for the client‘.
‘Myton Law is a law firm which is very commercial, flexible and not afraid of new challenges‘.
‘Scott Yates is the top personal injury specialist in the region and especially in maritime matters; equally, John Habergham has few peers in the transport sector. The firm has wider capabilities and talents, and while nationally and internationally engaged, it is a big supporter of marine industrial commercial and transport initiatives in the Humber region‘.
‘Chris Thornes is outstanding. He has a highly commercial approach founded on deep specialist knowledge and insight‘
‘John Habergham is very approachable and always available. A very knowledgeable lawyer with a very good sense for the business. He is able to come to practical solutions, which take into account the legal framework‘.
UK P&I Club
The North of England/Sunderland Marine Mutual
Steamship Mutual Insurance Services
The West of England Insurance Services Ltd
Shipowners Protection Limited
British Marine Managers
Samskip Multimodal BV
Post & Co
Thor Shipping & Transport UK Limited
- Advising a P&I club and a shipowner on a serious grounding incident in the North Sea.
- Assisted PD Ports Limited with a bespoke set of dry docking tender terms and conditions for an extensive refurbishment of a dredger vessel.
- Acting for a P&I Club and shipowner member in an investigation into a fatal accident to a crew member on board a large container ship.
- Acted for a multimodal logistics provider in obtaining a ground breaking precedent that the common law rule against set-off and freight should extend to carriage by air.
- Advised Samskip Multimodal on a new terminal facility agreement with ABP in Hull.