Praised for its ‘high degree of knowledge, coupled with unrivalled levels of customer service’, Clarion has demonstrable experience in handling national and international IP mandates on behalf of clients across the medical devices, chemicals, pharma and biotech sectors. The team, which is noted for its expertise in trade mark and design filing, includes practice leader Esther Kirwan and Sue Streatfield, both of whom are experienced in patent litigation and praised as ‘unfailingly responsive to clients’ needs’. Lindsey Wrenn provides ‘clear, practical advice’ on all aspects of trade mark protection, while senior associates Sarah Molloy and Jemma Green focus on global trademark portfolio management and design filing, respectively.
Intellectual property in Yorkshire And The Humber
Other key lawyers:
Sue Streatfield; Lindsey Wrenn; Sarah Molloy; Jemma Green
‘Excellent team, with a high degree of knowledge coupled with unrivalled levels of customer service.’
‘Sue Streatfield and Esther Kirwan are unfailingly responsive to clients’ needs and take the time to listen and explain the finer details, before agreeing the key drafting points and then producing the documentation efficiently.’
‘The level of knowledge, attention to detail, responsiveness and quality of advice make the Clarion IP team unique.’
‘Lindsey Wrenn has advised us for many years on our trade mark work. She provides clear, practical advice.’
‘The ability to distil complex matters into easy to interpret language, the detailed knowledge of the subject area, the commercial approach and the attention to detail, makes Sue Streatfield one of the best IP lawyers.’
‘Clarion has been adept at dealing with a wide range of IP assignments, giving clear explanations and sound commercial advice throughout.’
‘Jemma Green is a highly skilled professional with an excellent in-depth knowledge. I value her opinion and attention to detail enormously.’
‘Our main contact Esther Kirwan. She has great attention to detail and willingness to push the envelope to get the deal done, often combined with a balanced commercial perspective.’
Hermes Parcelnet Limited
FujiFilm Diosynth Biotechnologies UK Limited
Anglo American Woodsmith Ltd
Frasers Group Plc and Sportsdirect.com Group Limited
Freeman Grattan Holdings
Orion Publishing Group Limited
Genuit Group Plc
Hoho Entertainment Limited
Turner & Townsend Plc
Grangers International Limited
- Managed Neom’s global IP portfolio, as well as advising the client in relation to agreements and the enforcement of its IP.
- Acted for the subsidiary of a UK plc in the High Court, in a claim for IP infringement, breach of confidence, breach of restrictive covenants and of fiduciary duties.
- Acted for OPM Advance Ltd in the successful enforcement of its patents for a cutting edge development against infringers in the UK and abroad.
Noted for its expertise in the chemistry and life sciences sectors, Haseltine Lake Kempner LLP handles the full spectrum of IP mandates, with practice co-leader Richard Kempner spearheading the firm’s ‘first-class’ contentious practice and assisting clients in the identification, protection, exploitation and enforcement of their IP rights, as well as defending those facing infringement allegations. ‘Outstanding’ Jason Dainty leads the trade mark group and specialises in brand protection and strategy matters, in addition to advising domestic and European clients on trade mark applications and portfolios. Brian Whitehead, who focuses on patent enforcement and litigation, is another key member of the team, while Rachel Hearson joined in 2022. Martin Delafaille departed the firm in November 2021.
Richard Kempner; Jason Dainty
Other key lawyers:
Brian Whitehead; Amanda Mallon; Rachel Hearson
‘Excellence in subject matter and client service very strong. Approachable lawyers and reasonably priced.’
‘Richard Kempner is a clear leader in his field, who has established a first-class team of lawyers around him. Very attentive from a client perspective and pragmatic with deep understanding of our business.’
‘Very good knowledge of UK trademark practice, and their advice is commercially minded.’
‘Jason Dainty is outstanding.’
‘Rachel Hearson provides practical, commercially orientated advice. Strong technical skills are allied to a ready grasp of commercial requirements.’
Nomad Foods Europe (Birds Eye, Findus etc)
Tesco Stores Limited
Mamas & Papas
Farrow & Ball
Pathway IP Sarl (“Regus”)
Gianni Versace S.r.l.
The Restaurant Group
Supplier of Candles Limited
China Tang London Limited
- Defended Tesco against trade mark infringement from Lidl.
- Defended Supplies for Candles Limited in a trade mark infringement dispute against Gentil Sayre Limited.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP has demonstrable experience across the full range of national and cross-border IP mandates, from patent litigation and design prosecutions to trade mark protection and portfolio management. The team, which is led by ‘approachable, practical and insightful’ James Love, is noted for its expertise in the retail, oil and gas, manufacturing and healthcare technology sectors. The practice also has a strong bench of managing associates with Rose Smalley-Gordon assisting clients in IP disputes. Patrick Cantrill departed the firm in May 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great people, offering clear and practical advice. They are responsive to my needs as a client, are easy to deal with and collaborate well with counsel and other professionals as circumstances require.’
‘We like and appreciate their attentiveness and business-oriented approach.’
‘Reliable and pragmatic advice.’
‘James Love is approachable, practical and insightful. A pleasure to work with.’
Vetements Group AG
English Heritage / Historic England
University of Leeds
North of England / Sunderland Marine
- Acted for Geofabrics in a High Court patent trial, in which Geofabrics’ patent, for an anti-pumping geocomposite railway trackbed liner, was held to be valid and infringed by Fiberweb’s competing product.
- Assisting Vetements Group AG in various trade mark opposition and invalidation actions, in the UK, against a third party copycat using the client’s brand.
- Managing Bellway Plc’s trade mark portfolio (held by Bellway Homes Limited) and advising on clearance searches, alongside the prosecution of trade mark registrations, and on contentious intellectual property matters, in particular the enforcement of its trade marks.
DLA Piper boasts an enviable client roster of national and international corporates, and counts patent litigation, counterfeit matters, portfolio management and licensing arrangements amongst its workload. The team’s work frequently includes cross-border elements, particularly in the counterfeiting space. Following the retirement of Leigh Martin in August 2021, Sheffield-based Richard Taylor leads the practice and advises on IP issues arising out of corporate transactions, in addition to patent disputes. Legal director Jim McDonnell focuses on patents and technology transactions, while senior associate Aaron Trebble provides ‘well-thought contentious advice’ on IP and technology matters.
Other key lawyers:
Jim McDonnell; Aaron Trebble
‘Aaron Trebble has provided well-thought contentious advice and support on various matters. He has also provided support on various non-contentious matters relating to software and technology provision within a public sector entity.’
Advanced Technology Research Councils (UAE)
University of Sheffield
- Retained by Advanced Technology Research Councils (ATRC) to advise on and develop its IP structure, policies and guidelines.
- Instructed by GE Healthcare on multiple transactions and advisory matters involving IP aspects.
- Acting for Portakabin Limited in relation to its enforcement and education programme to protect its valuable PORTAKABIN and PORTALOO trade marks from infringement and misuse by third parties.
Noted for its expertise in high-value patent litigation, the Leeds-based team at HGF Law is well-placed to leverage the firm’s European footprint to handle cross-border IP mandates across numerous industries, notably the healthcare and retail sectors. Practice leader Martyn Fish has considerable experience in IP litigation, while senior solicitor James Talbot advises clients across the technology, life sciences and retail sectors on transactional matters, including brand management and licensing. The team counts Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Limited, Pearlfisher and Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Europe Limited among its key roster of clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great service combined with a sensible and transparent fee structure.’
Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Limited and its UK subsidiary Ranbaxy UK Limited
Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Europe Limited
IHC IQIP Limited
Rocket Games (Pie Face Game)
The Robin and Lucienne Day Foundation
Fresh Trading Limited (Innocent Drinks)
JBS Global (UK) Limited
We Buy Any Car
Spartan Race UK Operations Limited (Tough Mudder events)
Philip Kingsley Products
- Acting for Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Limited and its UK subsidiary Ranbaxy UK Limited on a piece of litigation thought to collectively be the largest cross undertaking in damages claim to be brought before the UK courts.
- Acting for The Hut Group (My Protein) in a multi-jurisdictional trade mark infringement dispute against a multinational food company.
- Providing transactional IP advice to Illinois Tool Works, drafting and negotiating across numerous jurisdictions.
Addleshaw Goddard’s Leeds-based team boasts an enviable client roster of household names, including Associated British Foods, Asda and Volkswagen, and has demonstrable experience in contentious and non-contentious matters pertaining to patents, trade marks and designs. The team, which is also noted for its trade mark filing practice, is led by Georgina Powling, who focuses on agreements relating to the exploitation of IP rights, as well as advising on transactional work. Associate Alice Chaplin, who has experience in IP licensing and litigation, is another key member of the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘AG’s lawyers are of a consistently high quality and are reasonably priced.’
Associated British Foods/Primark
British Airways/ International Consolidated Airlines Group S.A
Diageo Great Britain Limited
Asda Stores Ltd
Impact Capital Limited
Royal Mail Group
- Advised ASDA in relation to its GEORGE brand licence agreement with Walmart.
- Advised Ted Baker on the IP terms in its first UK retail franchise agreement.
- Managing the trade mark portfolios of a range of companies, including a number of household names such as Harrods, Kickers International, MoneySuperMarket and Travelodge Hotels.
Lupton Fawcett acts for clients across the gambling, food and drink, furniture and charitable sectors in trade mark infringement proceedings, patent enforcement matters, as well as design and copyright issues. Experienced litigator Ben Clay, who is praised for his capability in ‘dissecting a complicated case’, now heads the Leeds-based practice, while Clive Lawrence remains a key contact in the team and is noted for his expertise in the sport and media industries. Trade mark specialist Michelle Rock focuses on trade mark and design portfolio management. Consultant John Sykes left the firm in March 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Clive Lawrence; Michelle Rock
‘Clive Lawrence is an exceptional lawyer, who provides clear, accessible feedback and sound advice, which is not only legally accurate but also strategically innovative.’
‘The team seems to work together exceptionally well and with low hierarchies, allowing clients to get a differentiated view, particularly where borderline cases are concerned.’
‘Ben Clay is great in identifying key issues and making these issues comprehensible to clients, including to those from other jurisdictions. He goes the extra mile and thinks outside the box in order to help clients achieve their goals.’
‘The team are highly diligent in timekeeping and preparation for meetings. Advice is clear, understandable and always reasonable. It is delivered in a friendly manner and the partners and associates read the room very well during negotiations.’
‘Ben Clay is not only a very clever individual, but his ability in dissecting a complicated case is excellent. He was extremely approachable and was always on hand to speak to me. His calmness and rational advice was priceless.’
Kroher Strobel Rechts- und Patentanwälte PartmbB
The Horse Trust
Third Eye Neurotech Limited
Synergy Computing Limited
American Promotional Events Inc.
- Advising Derek Webb, who campaigns to reduce gambling-related harm by way of the Campaign for Fairer Gambling, in a dispute with eight international gambling operators and their advertising affiliates in relation to copyright infringement.
- Acted for MD5 Limited in a dispute concerning the ownership of copyright in a suite of computer software used for forensic reconstructions.
- Advising The Horse Trust on a range of IP matters including UK and international trade mark applications, copyright advice in relation to media and training materials, and agreements for the commissioning and funding of veterinary research.
Walker Morris LLP ‘provides comprehensive, non-jargon explanations and clear advice’ to its roster of national clients on both contentious and non-contentious mandates, covering a broad range of IP rights. Praised as an ‘IP whiz’, recently promoted partner Alan Harper leads the team and frequently acts to enforce the IP rights of household brands, as well as defending clients in infringement claims. Senior associate Matthew Lingard has experience in the sport and technology sectors, and regularly assists Harper in IP litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘There are no weaknesses in the Walker Morris team. They have an incredible depth of knowledge, are prompt, practical, efficient, and cost effective. I would match them against any firm in the UK, and trust in their process.’
‘Alan Harper is an IP whiz, creative in his solutions, practical and efficient in his approach, and an adviser I would trust with the most sensitive matters.’
‘The most unique and impressive thing about Walker Morris is the approachable and friendly manner in which the team conduct their businesses. Provides comprehensive, non-jargon explanations and clear advice.’
‘Alan Harper is my main contact for any IP matters. He always responds quickly, explains things very clearly and gives pragmatic solutions.’
‘The team is pragmatic and provides which is commercial and tailored to the client’s needs.’
‘Alan Harper deploys concise and astute litigation strategy to achieve effective commercial results.’
‘Matthew Lingard and Alan Harper are a great team and are always happy to have an initial chat to understand the issue, suggest some outline options before the formal work officially starts.’
‘Alan Harper has been our go-to person at Walker Morris. He has been the linchpin to all intellectual property and broader legal matters, drafting in colleagues and professional services when required.’
Hallmark Cards Inc
Moulded Fibre Products Limited
Leeson Polyurethanes Ltd
Cubico UK Ltd / Easy Bathrooms
Avacta Group PLC
Forth Ports Limited
Deckers Outdoor Corporation
Watkins Drinks (t/a Mighty Pea)
Lansinoh Laboratories Inc
The Meatless Farm Limited
Baird Group Limited
Drax Group PLC
BK VAX Ltd
- Instructed on behalf of Ferrero Group to support with its trade marks and brand protection.
- Provided full-service IP support to Hallmark Cards in relation to its brands and products.
- Acting for Moulded Fibre Products in the defence of an issued patent infringement claim.
Boutique commercial firm 3volution Limited advises clients across the higher education, pharmaceutical, engineering and technology sectors on a range of matters, from trade mark filing and portfolio management to IP licensing and copyright infringement claims. Practice leader Louise Handley advises clients on IP exploitation and protection matters, while ‘meticulously thorough’ Sara Ludlam handles licensing agreements and has experience in IP litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The commercial and IP team have advised us on various matters. Sara Ludlam is meticulously thorough in the documents she produces and the advice she gives.’
‘3volution Limited have been a fantastic support for our business during the last two years. They have not only helped in terms of trade marking our key brands, but also protecting those brands when counterfeit product has entered the market.’
‘Knowing we have Sara Ludlam in our corner to protect our brands has made my life a lot easier over the last two years. Whether it be by phone, email, or zoom I have always had 100% reassurance and sound advice from Sara and the team.’
‘Great team, who are all very helpful.’
‘The individuals we have worked with, in particular Sara Ludlam, have been fantastic. Their commercial acumen has been invaluable on the supplier contracts, brand licensing contracts and a trade marking matter they have supported us on.’
‘The team is approachable, proactive and forward thinking in its approach. Updates are provided at the key milestones and the team does everything it can to move matters forward.’
‘3volution have all the positive qualities you look for in a boutique law firm. The advice they give feels personalised, and the intimate structure of each team is reflected clearly in how the firm communicates with clients.’
Zoo Digital Limited
Kitchen Ventures Limited
RAFT Solutions Limited
Sambro International Limited
Bridge Consulting London Limited
Skin Viva Limited
AqualisBraemer Holding Limited
Broadcast Radio Limited
Led by Paul Berwin, the ‘precise and meticulous’ commercial and digital practice at Berwins advises on non-contentious IP mandates, including brand protection issues, as well as trade mark applications and infringements. The team counts local IT and technology companies among its key roster of clients, such as MaxLogic LLP, Rocket Horse Limited and Indie Tech Limited.
‘Quick to respond, pragmatic, speak plainly and have a breadth of capability to draw upon.’
‘Good base-level of knowledge of technology. Balanced approach to what is desired and what is reasonable. Take time to understand the details and drivers for instruction. Do not shy away from difficult conversations. Precise and meticulous.’
‘Berwins have been outstanding with their speed of response, positive attitude, and professional delivery.’
Max Logic LLP
Rocket Horse Limited
Indie Tech Limited
Intelligence Delivery Solutions Limited
Base 3 Systems Limited
Bright Squad Limited
IData Technology Limited
The Leeds-based practice at Irwin Mitchell, which has demonstrable experience across the food and drink, consumer electronics, software and healthcare sectors, is led by Joanne Bone, following the departure of Alex Newman to Mills & Reeve LLP in April 2022. Bone has experience in non-contentious IP matters, such as brand and design protection issues, while senior associate Emma Yates focuses on soft IP contentious cases and reputation management work.
Other key lawyers:
Emma Yates; Amy Au
‘The team at Irwin Mitchell is highly knowledgeable in their field and has a lot of resources to provide detailed, accurate information and legal advice within a short period of time. The staff are very approachable, professional and easy to deal with.’
‘Emma Yates is a highly experienced senior associate in the commercial litigation team at Irwin Mitchell in Leeds with particular expertise and interest in intellectual property and reputation management. She has been pro-active in educating business owners, particularly in the SME sector, about the value of IP as a commercial asset and how best to protect it.’
‘I felt like I was dealing with experts who kept me up to date via email and calls throughout the process. They made sure I knew what was going on at every stage.’
‘Amy Au has been brilliant throughout the process, ensuring not only that I’m up to date on proceedings, but also that we fully understood the position we were in and made suggestions on other areas we should be considering to give us the best outcome. The level of client care we received was fantastic.’
Natural Instinct Limited
Gravity Fitness Limited
NG Bailey Group
Fast Software Group Limited
Motus (Holdings) Limited
- Advised Fast Software Limited in a copyright infringement claim brought by Microsoft in respect of the allegedly infringing resale of software keys for MS Office products.
- Advised Natural Instinct Limited in its ongoing, Europe-wide trade mark dispute with Agrolimen, regarding the registration and use of various trade marks incorporating the word “INSTINCT”.
- Advised Karcher AG in relation to several UK trade mark oppositions.
Noted for its expertise across the life sciences, food and beverage, technology and higher education sectors, Mills & Reeve LLP handles a range of mandates, from trade mark oppositions and patent infringements to IP licensing and commercial agreements. The Leeds-based team, which is led by Mark Pearce, boosted its contentious offering with the arrival of Alex Newman from Irwin Mitchell in April 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Rothamsted Research Limited
Barker and Stonehouse
Royal Veterinary College
Fox International Group Limited
Premia Solutions Limited
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
Connected Places Catapult
Joint Council for Qualifications
University of Nottingham
- Managing the global trade mark and design portfolio for Domino Printing Sciences Plc and their group companies.
- Representing First Light Lamps in a patent infringement case brought by Heraeus Noblelight Limited.
- Advising OPES in relation to the alleged infringement of its European patent entitled “Mass containing functional compound and viscosity regulator” by two potential defendants, Republic Technologies (UK) Limited and SS8 Limited.
Specialist IP firm Virtuoso Legal ‘go the extra mile’, advising on brand expansion and protection matters, trade mark applications, copyright issues and licensing agreements. The team is also noted for its experience in ‘dealing with complex and troublesome disputes’ in the High Courts and Court of Appeal. Elizabeth Ward jointly leads the practice alongside Kirsten Toft, who advises clients on a broad range of non-contentious IP mandates.
Elizabeth Ward; Kirsten Toft
‘Virtuoso Legal always care to get it right when dealing with matters and go the extra mile.’
‘Elizabeth Ward and Kirsten Toft have been with us from the start and continue to be trusted partners as we grow, offering service beyond what is typically expected from law firms.’
‘Virtuoso are excellent, very response and quick to turn around our requirements.’
‘Virtuoso Legal are a trusted partner and have been so for many years. They have helped us in many ways, including dealing with complex and troublesome disputes we have encountered.’
Institute of Export and International Trade
IQM Software Ltd.
Medical Hair Restoration Limited
Greene & Greene
Pendragon Consultancy Limited
PBS International Limited
International Riding Company Limited
Loopin SAAS Limited
Arte Potendi EURL
Aquadam Europe Limited
- Advised Trio Healthcare in the expansion of its brand and IP protection, as it announced its expansion into the North American market.
- Instructed by Pendragon Consultancy to assist with a passing off issue that the compliance consultancy experienced. Having identified a host of dummy companies and infringing entities, we assisted by both intervening as well as establishing robust brand protection for Pendragon via trade mark registration as well as ongoing brand protection, and domain watching and defensive registrations.
- Instructed by Naurex in a range of non-contentious matters as well as enforcing a copyright and trade mark infringement claim relating to a incomplete share-purchase agreement from the Defendant – who after part-acquisition had begun using Naurex intellectual property prior to being permitted to do so.
Led by James Sarjantson, LCF Law’s commercial IP practice acts for owner-managed and technology led-businesses, as well as companies involved in software development and distribution, on the filing of trade marks, contractual agreements and copyright issues. The ‘highly competent and trustworthy’ team counts The Red Consultancy, The British Association of Day Surgery and Airzones LLC among its key list of clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at LCF are highly competent and trustworthy to deliver the work required.’
‘I personally worked with James Sarjantson and continually find him to be extremely competent and knowledgable, but also very accommodating of our needs and a really great guy to be working with.’
‘They listen and make excellent suggestions.’
The Red Consultancy
The British Association of Day Surgery
Graham Martin/Orchard Recruitment
Vivo Tea Limited
Dean and Wood Limited
- Advised The Red Consultancy Ltd on various contracts relating to the minting of, and sale of, non-fungible tokens (NFT’s).
- Advising the British Association of Day Surgery (BADS) on copyright and IP matters in respect of contributions to their publications, association journal and website by those in the medical profession.
- Advising Airzones LLC on trade marking and branding, and IPR ownership issues in joint development agreements with third party manufacturers.
Percy Crow Davis & Co
Praised for his ‘wealth of knowledge’, Dai Davis at Percy Crow Davis & Co is ‘well-known in the industry’ and acts for owner-managed businesses, particularly in the engineering sector, on a range of IP mandates. Davis’ workload includes trade mark and design infringement cases, contractual agreements and IP licensing matters.
‘Percy Crow Davis & Co is headed by Dai Davis, who has a wealth of experience in IPR contractual negotiations and a dedication to act at all times in the best interests of his clients.’
‘Fast, reliable and skilled.’
‘Dai Davis has outstanding knowledge of IP. His “think out of the box” attitude gives extra value to all matters.’
‘Dai Davis is personable and well-known in the industry.’
Adact Medical Limited
Different Kettle of Fish Limited
Global Carbon Tech Limited
Inbox Insight Limited
The Lead Advisory Company Limited
Newport Shipping UK LLP
TÜV SÜD Limited
- Advising Different Kettle of Fish Limited on the licensing of multiple patentable inventions.
- Advising clients such as Adact Limited, Newport Shipping UK LLP, Global Carbon Tech Limited and Inbox Insight Limited on their patentable inventions and related IP rights.
Led by Keith Benton, the commercial and IP team at Rollits LLP advises clients across the food and drink, manufacturing, technology and charity sectors on non-contentious matters, including licensing arrangements, trade mark applications and portfolio management. James Peel, who focuses on commercial and IP licensing agreements, is another key member of the Hull-based team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent team with knowledgeable, patient and responsive lawyers. They respond well to our queries and are able to provide meaningful advice on a range of niche and unique IP issues.’
AB Graphic International Limited
Family Fund Trust
Family Fund Business Services
Giacom World Networks
Hallite Seals International Limited
Hull City Tigers
Leeds City College
Institute for Strategic Dialogue
- Advised Superstadium Management Company Limited on the terms of its new naming rights agreement for the MKM Stadium.
- Advised Giacom World Networks in respect of its appointment as an authorised distributor of Sophos products in the United Kingdom.
- Advised AAK International in connection with its global brand portfolio.
Counting technology start-ups, SMEs and entrepreneurs among its key roster of clients, Ward Hadaway LLP’s IP team is praised for its capability in ‘deploying intellectual insight in a practical and efficient way’ and ‘getting behind businesses they believe in’. Led by Bill Goodwin, the practice advises on brand protection matters and trade mark portfolios.
Other key lawyers:
‘The IP team at Ward Hadaway are very entrepreneurial and get behind businesses they believe in.’
‘Bill Goodwin is great at giving a balanced view, but then making a judgement call and actually directing us down a certain path. We appreciate his openness, professionalism, friendly manner and also his flexible working times, which are very helpful.’
‘Very knowledgeable and capable of deploying intellectual insight in a practical and efficient way.’
‘Bill Goodwin is excellent. A pleasure to work with and very helpful.’
Greenbank Holidays Limited (T/A) Eurocamp
PICO Fitness Holdings Limited (T/A UN1T)
Business and IP Centres (Leeds and Manchester)
Pro-Lite International Ltd (Pro-Lite Bikes)
Connect Health Limited
Connection Flooring Limited (T/A Flooring Superstore)
Soundbite Learning (T/A GCSEPod)
Morleys (Fast Foods) Limited