Planning in Yorkshire And The Humber
DLA Piper UK LLP's planning team sits within the firm's international real estate practice and handles both regional and national matters. The Yorkshire team focuses on major infrastructure projects, regeneration projects, energy matters and funding issues. Group head Andrew Batterton leads the development and infrastructure planning teams across Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool, and senior associate Claire Stoneman assists with development planning, compulsory purchase work and energy and infrastructure issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘DLA Piper has a strong grasp of what makes commercial sense for the client. It fields a team of very sound lawyers with a clear eye for the end to be achieved‘.
‘The team’s advice is decisive rather than looking at lots of options and leaving you as a client to decide which approach to take‘.
‘The practice provides first-class support and guidance during matters and has a commercially oriented and straightforward approach, making it good to work with‘.
‘Andrew Batterton provides excellent advice and guidance throughout. Clients feel well supported and confident that he is representing their best interests. His experience, knowledge and contribution to matters are essential in any process‘.
‘Andrew Batterton is thorough, personable, works hard for his clients and is very commercially oriented‘.
York Central Partnership
Sheffield City Council and Urbo (West Bar) Limited
National Grid Electricity Transmission Plc/ National Grid Gas Plc / Cadent Gas Limited
- Advising York Central Partnership on the redevelopment of York Central.
- Assisting Highways England with the promotion of a number of new highway and highway improvement DCO schemes.
- Acting for Nexus on its consenting strategy for rail improvement work to its network.
- Assisting Sheffield City Council and Urbo Regeneration on the redevelopment of West Bar Square, Sheffield and the related compulsory purchase order.
- Advising Prologis on the planning issues related to its project and portfolio acquisition, development and refinance.
Jonathan Riley heads up the department at Pinsent Masons LLP, which advises on some of the biggest planning schemes across Yorkshire and other major northern cities, as well as handling nationally significant infrastructure projects, urban extensions and compulsory purchase orders. Riley is also a key name for transport matters. Legal director Nick McDonald handles development and infrastructure projects and legal director Jo Miles focuses on residential and mixed-use developments.
‘Pinsent Masons has a knowledgeable and approachable team with a range and depth of expertise that is unmatched‘.
‘Jonathan Riley is an exceptional communicator with a fantastic ability to put complex legal issues into plain English‘.
‘The team is thorough, professional and shows excellent capabilities in recalling details for specific scenarios. It is an excellent advocate and provides valuable advice to enable planning officers to engage with the applicant with confidence‘.
Eggborough Power (EPH Group) 3 No
Leeds City Council 10+ No
Drax Generation Developments Limited / Drax Power Limited
Sunderland City Council
South Tyneside Council
London Legacy Development Corporation
United Utilities Water Limited
South Gloucestershire Council
Portsmouth City Council
Homes and Communities Agency
Wembley National StadiumLimited
VPI Immingham B Ltd
- Advising Ballymore Properties Ltd on the compulsory purchase order for its 900-home Brentford Waterside regeneration scheme.
- Assisting the London Borough of Wandsworth with the land assembly and compulsory purchase order for its flagship estate regeneration project in Clapham Junction, London.
- Assisting VPI Immingham B Limited with promoting its proposed gas-fired power station through the Planning Act 2008 consenting process.
- Advising Eggborough Power Limited on the consenting and compulsory acquisition for its new gas-fired power station at the site of the existing coal-fired plant in Eggborough, East Yorkshire.
- Acting for Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospital NHS Trust on the new Midland Metropolitan Hospital in Sandwell.
Squire Patton Boggs
With notable expertise in contentious planning matters, Squire Patton Boggs advises public and private sector clients including energy companies, local authorities, retailers and commercial, residential and leisure developers. David Hardy is dual qualified as a barrister and solicitor and is the key contact for compulsory purchase matters, as well as contentious work and developments in the energy, transports and mines and minerals sectors. Practice leader Richard Glover is highly regarded for his experience representing electricity clients in applications for consent under the Electricity Act.
Other key lawyers:
Energy Systems Catapult
Egdon Resources UK Limited
Lincolnshire County Council
Electricity North West
Energiekontor (UK) Limited
Pendle Borough Council
Citadel Estates Limited
JPE Aggregates Limited
White Brothers Limited
Greenpower International Limited
- Advising SP Manweb on promoting a development consent order for a new overhead power line.
- Assisting Innogy/Ventient with the first commercial extension of life appeal for a wind farm at Kirkby Moor.
- Acting for New World Payphones in multiple appeals and High Court disputes relating to the correct interpretation of permitted development rights for telecoms operators.
- Representing Energiekontor (UK) Limited in a case in the Court of Appeal relating to the Pencarreg turbines in West Wales and the interpretation of section 73 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
- Advising Egdon Resources UK Limited on an application for planning permission relating to the production of oil from an existing wellsite at Wressle.
Walker Morris LLP's client base spans individual landowners, property developers, housing businesses, mineral companies, care homes, student developments, and companies in the residential, mixed-use development and strategic land areas. Team head Richard Sagar has substantial experience in strategic planning advice, planning applications, compulsory purchase orders, High Court challenges and environmental issues; Chris Slater handles section 106 planning obligations; and dual-qualified barrister and solicitor Alison Ogley focuses on contentious work alongside growing non-contentious experience.
‘Walker Morris commands an excellent reputation in this field and justifiably so. Its professionalism, quality of work, depth of knowledge and honest advice all contribute to its proven success rate‘.
‘The team provides a well-rounded perspective on all aspects of planning. The group never fails to answer or help with a query and the broad range of expertise from junior to partner level is not surpassed elsewhere‘.
‘Walker Morris has a sterling reputation for planning in the North, acting for some of the most litigious clients in the most complex and controversial cases. It has a depth of experience across the full range of planning disciplines, which gives it a real understanding of both commercial and legal issues, and it offers incredibly sound, pragmatic and correct advice. A first-rate set of solicitors‘.
‘The key personnel at Walker Morris are highly professional but at the same time very approachable. They know their profession inside out and get to the heart of issues directly‘.
‘Richard Sagar and senior director Robert Moore are excellent advocates who leave no stone unturned in the quest to present the strongest case possible at appeal or in court‘.
‘Chris Slater provides excellent commercial advice‘.
‘Richard Sagar is a highly experienced planning partner, who is expert in a range of planning disciplines and manages to marry pragmatic and realistic strategic advice with forensic attention to detail, based on his vast experience. He is great with clients and a steely negotiator‘.
Hallam Land Management Limited
The Peel Group
Bowmer & Kirkland Limited
Commercial Estates Group
Evans Property Group
- Representing Hallam Land Management Limited in an appeal against the council’s refusal for an application for planning permission for 600 homes in Doncaster.
- Assisting Hallam Land Management Limited with the promotion of a planning application for a residential development near Wetherby, West Yorkshire.
- Acting for Hallam Land Management Limited in a successful appeal against the refusal of an application for reserved matters approval for 160 dwellings in Winsick.
- Representing Gascoines Group Ltd in a successful appeal to secure planning permission for a new residential development in Scarborough.
The Sheffield-based planning team at CMS has a breadth of expertise, encompassing town centre regenerations, minerals and waste issues, commercial property portfolio work, transport and infrastructure projects, residential and mixed-use developments, retail planning work and energy matters. The practice handles the full spectrum of the planning process including applications, public inquiries, court appeals and judicial reviews, compulsory purchase orders and environmental issues. Team leader Chris Bowes has particular expertise in compulsory purchase issues and senior associate Rebecca Roffe's practice includes a focus on development consent orders.
Other key lawyers:
Vita / Select
- Advising Hammerson and Aberdeen Standard Life on the planning and compulsory purchase order issues related to the extension of Brent Cross Shopping Centre in North London.
- Assisting Joseph Partners with the planning and compulsory purchase order elements of an urban regeneration project in North Finchley.
- Acting for Benson Elliot on the land assembly and compulsory purchase elements of a major urban redevelopment of the Vicarage Field shopping centre in Barking.
- Advising North York Moors National Park Authority on the planning and related agreements for a deep mine development.
- Defending a legal challenge to Whitemoss Landfill’s development consent order in the Court of Appeal relating to a hazardous waste landfill facility.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's planning and infrastructure consenting team has notable experience in the retail, renewable energy and commercial development sectors, with practice head Peter Nesbit excelling in minerals and oil and gas work, and principal associate Roddy Macdonald leading on residential work.
Other key lawyers:
WM Morrison Supermarkets plc
Evans Property Group
London South Bank University
Belview Golf Ltd
Persimmon Homes North East Limited and Taylor Wimpey UK Limited
HJ Banks and Company Limited
Kentucky Fried Chicken (Great Britain) Limited
- Acting for Morrisons on planning issues relating to the regeneration of the Camden Goods Yard area in London.
- Advising Evans Property Group on a planning application for the construction of 350 dwellings in Fradley Park, Litchfield.
- Assisting London South Bank University with the proposed regeneration of two campus buildings in the London Borough of Southwark.
- Assisting IGas Energy with the planning submissions for IGas’ Ellesmere Port proposal for a hydrocarbon plant.
- Acting for Banks Mining in a High Court challenge to a refusal for planning permission for a surface coal mine.
Shulmans LLP stands out for its residential development planning expertise, as well as extensive knowledge of infrastructure issues, mixed-use development planning and compulsory purchase orders. The 'commercially astute and strategically decisive' Amanda Beresford heads up the practice and handles national matters. Solicitor Emma Thomas is strong in the telecoms sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘The planning team at Shulmans is a leader in the practice area. It has the ability to understand clients’ requirements and deal with a wide range of planning matters. The team is strong in being able to provide excellent planning advice on any planning matter and is a planning law team of choice’.
‘Amanda Beresford’s reputation precedes her‘.
‘Amanda Beresford’s breadth and depth of planning knowledge is outstanding and she can always be relied on to be very helpful and give focused, clear, commercially astute and strategically decisive advice‘.
Barratt/David Wilson Homes Limited
Extra MSA Group Limited
Chatsworth Settlement Trustees
Lidl UK GmbH
Duchy Homes Limited (North West)
- Represented Caddick Residential Limited in a residential planning appeal.
- Acting for Wallhill Limited on a planning judicial review relating to the development of a mixed-use site in Ealing.
- Advising Princes Quay Estates Limited on issues relating to an application by Highways England for a development consent order for works on the A63, which will affect the client’s retail park and shopping centre.
- Assisting Barratt/David Wilson Homes Limited with a public highway diversion order.
- Acting for Greggs plc in its objection to an application for a starter home development on allocated employment land next to its North East manufacturing facility.
Weightmans acts on national projects under the leadership of residential and infrastructure project specialist Lee Gordon. Key areas of expertise for the group include advising on development consent orders related to infrastructure and energy projects, residential and urban extension projects, public sector work and promoting compulsory purchase orders for highways and mixed-use developments. Bob Pritchard counts multiple public sector organisations as clients.
Other key lawyers:
Royal Mail Group
Leeds City Council
York City Council
Peterborough City Council
Viridor Waste Management
North Yorkshire County Council
Sheffield City Council Council
Selby District Council
Nottingham County Council
East Hertfordshire Council
- Advising the Welsh Government on the development consent order applications for the proposed new nuclear power station at Wylfa on Anglesey.
- Acting for five local authorities on the delivery of Harlow Garden Town, a project consisting of 23,000 dwellings and major infrastructure.
- Assisting Peterborough City Council with a proposed £1.5bn township development, which will include 5,300 homes, new schools and retail space.
- Advising York City Council on the promotion of a proposed compulsory purchase order for a £38m project to improve York’s ring road.
- Acting for Selby District Council on a delivery strategy for the proposed development of an urban extension project.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's team focuses on the energy, transport, housing and public sectors, and has notable expertise in infrastructure projects, regeneration schemes, compulsory purchase orders, planning litigation and transport issues, among other areas. Claire Brook heads up the team and has expertise in waste, energy and chemical matters; she works with legal director Jocelyn Denton, who regularly acts for local authorities, and managing associate James Garbett, who specialises in town and country planning.
‘The team at Womble Bond Dickinson understands its clients’ needs implicitly and is able to tailor its advice such that it reflects the particular needs and aspirations of the client‘.
‘As a team, Womble Bond Dickinson works seamlessly with colleagues from other parts of the business, notably real estate and construction, which is of paramount importance during the sometimes lengthy negotiations‘.
‘Claire Brook has a forensic approach to legal questions with sound practical advice founded in strong sector knowledge and experience‘.
‘James Garbett provides exceptional advice on a variety of complex legal issues. His approach is calm, forensic and strategic and his advice allows clients to navigate difficult commercial situations with ease‘.
‘James Garbett has a fantastic breadth of knowledge of the planning process which allows him to provide quality advice‘.
Wheelabrator Technologies Inc.
Leeds City Council
Sembcorp Utilities UK Limited
London Borough of Lewisham
Commercial Estates Group (CEG)
Strata Homes Limited
Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council
Taylor Wimpey UK Limited
NHS Property Services Limited
Network Rail Infrastructure Limited
The University of Law
London Borough of Bexley
Persimmon Homes Limited
BDW Trading Limited
Linden Homes Limited (part of the Galliford Try group)
FCC Environment (UK) Limited
- Advising the London Borough of Lewisham on proposals by St Mowden Properties for the redevelopment of Leegate Shopping Centre.
- Assisting the London Borough of Bexley with its strategy and attendance at a public inquiry to determine a planning appeal against the refusal of Roxhill Development’s scheme to build a rail freight interchange in the metropolitan green belt.
- Acting for the University of Law in a planning appeal against the refusal by Cheshire West and Chester Council of a scheme to redevelop its existing campus.
- Asssiting the London Borough of Lewisham with the Lewisham Gateway Scheme, part of the regeneration of Lewisham town centre.
- Advising Network Rail on the negotiation of a multi-party deed of variation to an existing section 106 agreement relating to the redevelopment of the former Horwich locomotive work.
Following the departure of former team head Glenn Sharpe to York City Council, the key Leeds-based contacts for Addleshaw Goddard's planning group include legal director Julia Dixon, who joined from Squire Patton Boggs in late 2018, and associate Daniel Marston. The national group is highly regarded for its expertise in housing and mixed-use developments, rail and energy projects, and retail projects.
Boutique planning firm LB & Co Limited counts national clients on its roster and has substantial expertise acting for national housebuilders, developers, local councils, charities and infrastructure companies. 'First-rate planning lawyers' Carolyn Lord and Kate Butterfield are co-founders of the firm; Lord handles regional and national mandates and Butterfield is noted for her expertise in retail and housing projects.
Carolyn Lord; Kate Butterfield
‘LB & Co has excellent knowledge of planning law, strong experience and attention to detail coupled with a strong client and team ethic‘.
‘The team has unrivalled experience in planning matters and delivers pragmatic and focused advice. It doesn’t overly focus on the narrower points in a transaction‘.
‘Carolyn Lord and Kate Butterfield are first-rate planning lawyers with strong planning experience coupled with an understanding of how to make things happen. They take a thorough and careful approach to all applications and legal matters and have a strong track record of success‘.
‘Both Kate Butterfield and Carolyn Lord have been involved in a large number of significant projects in the region for many years and are well known to the key regional developers. Their insight and expertise is well renowned in the region – there are few scenarios they haven’t seen before and they are well connected‘.
CEG (Commercial Estates Group)
Persimmon Homes Limited
GMI Properties Limited
Caddick Developments Limited
Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council
Ashgate Investments Limited
Hoyland Developments Limited
DB Cargo (UK) Limited
- Advising CEG (Commercial Estates Group) on its proposed £350m mixed-use regeneration scheme for a site in Leeds city centre.
- Assisting Persimmon Homes Limited with planning matters over multiple residential schemes including negotiating planning agreements and handling planning appeals.
- Advising GMI Properties Limited on the Clay Cross town centre regeneration scheme, new developments in Saltaire World Heritage Site and a potential residential development site on a Yorkshire-based green belt site.
- Acting for Caddick Developments Limited on a planning application for the Quarry Hill site in Leeds.
- Advising the Diocese of Leeds and Catholic Care separately on their portfolio of sites and older people’s residential schemes.
Rollits LLP's dedicated planning practice has an active practice which advises on residential developments, land promotions, care home developments, education facility developments and social housing issues. Hull-based team head Mark Dixon is noted for his expertise handling mixed-use developments and the related section 106 agreements. Infrastructure elements. David Myers is the key contact in the firm's York office.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Rollits planning team is accessible, knowledgeable, very competent and is willing to go beyond the call of duty with client care‘.
‘Mark Dixon is the area’s leading specialist planning lawyer‘.
‘David Myers is excellent with clients who value his expertise and approachable manner‘.
Lindum Group Limited
Yorkshire Housing Limited
Lovel Developments (Yorkshire) Limited
Central Land Holdings Limited
Colten Care Limited
Boston Mayflower Limited
Reckitt Benckiser (Brands) Limited
Bishop Burton College
Colten Developments Limited
Pickering & Ferens Homes
DN Colleges Group
Hull College FE Corporation
East Riding College
- Advising the client on a section 106 agreement for an outline planning permission of 32 dwellings.
- Assisting Bawtry Farms Limited with the preparation of a section 106 agreement for planning permission for 150 dwellings.
- Acting for Brierstone Limited on issues relating to the viability of a development due to affordable housing instructions.
- Acting for an individual in a public inquiry relating to an enforcement notice appeal.
- Advising Central Land Holdings Limited on the preparation of a section 106 agreement for an outline planning permission of 80 dwellings.