Environment in Yorkshire And The Humber
DLA Piper advises on the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious environmental matters, encompassing regulatory compliance, investigations and prosecutions, transactional support and policy development. The team works on a national basis, with high-profile corporate clients in retail, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and minerals. The 'determined and dedicated' Teresa Hitchcock leads the team in Sheffield, and is a noted authority on environmental legal issues relating to regeneration, contaminated land, and climate change. Alistair Clough is noted for his work on transactional risk assessments and waste management issues.
‘Teresa Hitchcock is determined and dedicated – she is totally committed to her clients’ interests and they are hugely loyal to her.‘
Fine Lady Bakeries
- Advising Tarmac Services on the remediation of contamination.
- Advising Lloyds on the environmental aspects of two acquisitions of companies in the pharmaceutical sector.
- Advising DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale as the lender on the 254 MW Stavro wind park.
Working on a national basis and in tandem with the firm's real estate team in Sheffield, CMS advises clients on a wide range of environmental issues, from contentious matters relating to waste and dumping to due diligence on commercial transactions and environmental regulations. Lukas Rootman heads the Sheffield-based team, which wins national-scale work from major banks and corporates, including numerous matters with cross-border elements.
Freeths LLP specialises in advising clients on environmental issues relating to development projects, including contaminated land, pollution and waste, and environmental permit applications, primarily acting for developers, corporates, and local authorities. The team also defends clients against regulatory action by agencies and provides due diligence on corporate transactions. The practice is led by Penny Simpson, a specialist in natural environment issues and an established authority on environmental legislation.
North Yorkshire County Council
Commercial Estates Group
Mileway Real Estate UK
- Advised North Yorkshire County Council on obtaining planning permission for a road improvement scheme on the A59 in North Yorkshire.
- Successfully represented Hoburne against a serious objection to its planning application for a development of approximately 200 holiday homes in the Cotswolds, involving two planning authorities.
- Advising Avonside Roofing on compliance with criminal environmental law.
Gateley Plc combines corporate regulatory compliance advice with a strong focus on criminal and regulatory defence, representing major retailers, corporates, property developers, and their directors in investigations and prosecutions. The team offers expertise in the housebuilding, construction, waste, manufacturing, leisure and energy sectors. Pauline Munro heads up the Leeds team and focuses on corporate support, while national head Ruth Armstrong takes the lead on contentious proceedings.
United Molasses Group
Grupo Bimbo UK
Chubb European Group
- Acting on behalf of United Molasses Storage following a major acid leak at its bulk storage facility in Hull in 2017.
- Represented Collins Earthworks in its negotiations with the EA following allegations of illegal waste deposits which threatened to close the site.
- Acting for a major housebuilder accused by the EA of polluting a watercourse and killing fish.
Schofield Sweeney focuses on contentious environmental matters, drawing on the 'unmatched experience' of practice head Craig Burman, a former Environment Agency (EA) prosecutor. The team represents local authorities, property owners, utilities providers and waste management companies on a range of issues, including EA investigations, land use disputes, and enforcement proceedings relating to the treatment of waste.
‘Great property team working closely with their environmental colleagues. Really nice people who are always approachable. Very capable of explaining complicated issues very simply.‘
‘Craig Burman has unmatched experience that he uses to great benefit.‘
Leeds City Council
Danvm Drainage Commission
Energy 10 Huntingdon
Templeborough Biomass Power Plant
BWSC Power Corporation
Jeremy Benn Associates
- Advised Jeremy Benn Associates LTD and DEFRA on the legal barriers and restrictions to Natural Flood Management.
- Advised a commercial property owner on their options to challenge the Environment Agency’s decision to revoke a tenant’s environmental permit.
- Advised a lead local flood authority on their powers and rights to extinguish or vary water abstraction rights of a historic mill owner for the purposes of flood defence works.
Walker Morris LLP has a broad environmental practice, encompassing corporate support such as regulatory advice and permits alongside strong capabilities in contentious work. Practice heads Alison Ogley and Stuart Ponting both hold considerable advocacy experience, with Ogley having taken roles on significant environmental enforcement cases, including representing Darrington Quarries before the Supreme Court, while Ponting maintains a contentious regulatory practice. Clients include local authorities, corporates, property developers and mineral companies. Associate Rachel Turnbull is noted for her work in environmental enforcement proceedings, having previously worked for the Environment Agency as a regulator.
‘I have always found the team to be courteous, efficient and professional, responding to specific deadlines in a timely and constructive manner. Their focus on detail and sound commercial advice stand out from other practices that I have experienced.‘
‘Alison Ogley represents the client’s best interests by giving honest, astute and commercial view – always offering beneficial strategic advice in relation to town planning matters. She knows when to lead and when to support other consultants.‘
‘Great team. Highly knowledgeable and accommodating at short notice.‘
‘My involvement was with an unusual town planning case – Alison Ogley and her team at Walker Morris were able to muster a very strong case based on little-known precedents.’
‘Walker Morris are clearly very strong on planning matters. ‘
‘Alison Ogley is highly proficient as a planning lawyer. She is very personable and was happy to listen to and give consideration to approaches/interpretations different to her own. She is a powerful force in court.’
‘Walker Morris and Alison Ogley’s team of planning specialist solicitors have always put our clients needs first – they offer a first class service which is tailored for each of our clients requirements and sites. Alison offers pragmatic solutions to situations which require considerable thought and an expert mindset to overcome.‘
‘Alison Ogley is most certainly one of the most approachable and pragmatic professionals – she instantly facilitates an open discussion and a focus on core issues. She is always on hand and always listens, never once has she failed to provide an opportunity to a potential constraint.‘
Royal Wolverhampton Trust
Commercial Estates Group
The Gascoines Group
- Represented Darrington Quarries Limited at the Supreme Court, in defence of Sam Smith’s judicial review to quash DQLs planning permission for the extension of a quarry in the Green Belt.
- Advised Commercial Estates Group on environmental issues in respect of their site at Langford Bridge.
- Represented Royal Wolverhampton Trust in appealing a section 215 notice which required the RWT to undertake extensive refurbishment works to the Old Eye Infirmary buildings, which have been disused since 2007.