Praised for its ‘commercial awareness and expertise in environmental compliance’, DLA Piper’s team handles the full gamut of matters, from litigation and defence of environmental prosecutions to transactional work. The practice is also noted for its experience in waste management and disposal issues, recycling and transportation of dangerous goods, and environmental permitting. Standout practice leader Teresa Hitchcock advises on mandates concerning contaminated land, as well as nuisance disputes and regeneration projects, while Alastair Clough handles regulatory licensing and enforcement issues, waste management matters and assessing environmental liability risk in transactions.
Environment in Yorkshire And The Humber
Other key lawyers:
‘Access to and communication with key senior personnel is excellent, communication throughout and conclusions, clear and concise advice with commercial awareness and expertise in environmental compliance.’
‘Felt a close working relationship from my initial call, excellent interpersonal skills giving a belief that this company knows what they are talking about and will do a very good job from the start. This initial approach gives confidence in the abilities to undertake the task at hand well.’
Tarmac Services Limited
Pilkington Technology Management Limited
Brickability Group PLC
MKS Instruments Inc
August Equity Partners III
- Advising Tarmac Services Limited on voluntary remediation following the service of a contaminated land regime remediation notice.
- Advising Mothercare in respect of ESOS compliance.
- Defending Tata Steel against a group claim alleged dust nuisance.
CMS frequently advises its roster of clients, including national and international companies operating in the waste management sector, on current and new environmental legislation, in addition to transactional work and disputes concerning prosecutions, regulatory enforcement and nuisance claims. The team also has demonstrable experience in environmental permitting matters, including application work, enforcement notices and appeals. Practice leader Lukas Rootman defends clients in Environment Agency prosecutions, as well as handling regulatory issues, while planning expert Rebecca Roffe advises on environmental transactions and compliance matters. Senior associate Esme Saynor is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Rebecca Roffe; Esme Saynor
Whitemoss Landfill Limited
BlackRock / NEAT Developments
Cadent Gas Limited
Freeths LLP’s Sheffield-based environment practice specialises in mandates concerning natural environment and wildlife issues, such as advising protected sites designated for nature conservation on pertinent regulations and planning issues generated by public bodies and local planning authorities. Practice leader Penny Simpson acts for developers, environmental consultancies and operators in the mineral and water sectors, and is noted for her experience in defending clients facing environmental-related regulatory or criminal proceedings. Director Richard Broadbent joined the practice in January 2022 from Natural England, where he previously led the legal services team.
Other key lawyers:
William Oliver Clarke Trust
TJ Morris Ltd
Engie Regeneration Limited
Royal Horticultural Society
Mr and Mrs Harris
Simply Ecology Limited
The Portland Association
Shropshire Borough Council
Royal Society of Protection of Birds
- Acting for William Oliver Clarke Trust on its objection to the proposed enlargement by Natural England of the Cotswold Water Park Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), which would have had an impact on the client’s land due to the imposition of constraints on activities.
- Acting for T J Morris Limited in unlocking a refusal from Natural England of a water vole licence which was essential to allow the client to proceed with a multi-million pound distribution centre development near Doncaster.
- Acting for The Portland Association in its objection to a planning proposal by an energy company, Powerfuel, for a new Waste Incinerator at Portland Bill in Dorset.
Noted for its expertise in environmental compliance matters, Schofield Sweeney brings ‘a unique insight into the technical aspects’ to non-contentious mandates involving waste regulations, permit issues and statutory notices. The team also has demonstrable capability in investigations, prosecutions and regulatory enforcement proceedings concerning waste, water, air pollution and permit issues. Praised as ‘a first choice for environmental litigation’, practice leader Craig Burman’s advice ‘is backed with a commercial edge which benefits clients’ in matters relating to risk management and compliance.
Other key lawyers:
‘SS are a great all-round legal firm, who have outstanding knowledge in environmental matters matched with a commercial understanding which is rare.’
‘Craig Burman is an outstanding lawyer. His advice is always backed with a commercial edge which benefits clients and results in sensible solutions.’
‘I’ve worked with the firm on transactions and have found the environmental team to be really knowledgeable about the actual processes involved e.g. on environment permits, bringing together a unique insight into the technical aspects as well as a deep understanding of the regulator’s position.’
‘Craig Burman is a first choice for environmental litigation. He’s a great communicator, with deep insight from the regulator’s position, and a practical understanding of the issues at hand.’
Leeds City Council
Greenhous Group (Holdings) Limited
Vocation Brewery Limited
Eliston Homes Limited
Newlay Concrete Limited
BWSC Power Corporation Ltd
- Advised a local flood authority on their powers and rights in respect of a main river flood alleviation scheme, and interrelationship between powers of flood alleviation and rail network management and operation, together with ongoing flood and drainage issues and natural flood management.
- Advised an internal drainage board in respect of its powers to take enforcement action in relation to non-consented works within its bye-law strip.
- Advised Greenhous Group Limited on environmental liabilities in connection with acquisitions and sales of business assets and contaminated land.
Walker Morris LLP advises on the contentious and non-contentious environment-related aspects of large-scale infrastructure and development projects across the residential, retail, minerals, waste and renewable energy sectors. The ‘knowledgeable and approachable’ team has seen an increase in matters arising out of the waste sector, regarding compliance issues and emerging projects, and continues to act on enforcement cases, including environmental prosecutions and statutory nuisance. Alison Ogley, who has experience in EIA mandates, habitat regulations and waste development projects, jointly leads the practice alongside Stuart Ponting, who is regularly instructed in environmental investigations.
Alison Ogley; Stuart Ponting
Other key lawyers:
‘They’re just excellent. Open, honest, practical and excellent at what they do. Always knowledgeable and approachable. In honesty, a pleasure to work with.’
‘Stuart Ponting and Rachel Turnbull are just marvellous. Nothing is ever too much trouble, they’re on side with what’s in your best interests as a client, they will support you and the business on all levels when needed, whilst maintaining a professional, friendly and approachable attitude.’
Northumbrian Water Limited
FCC Environment Limited
- Acted on behalf of Northumbrian Water Limited, submitting a holding objection in respect of water capacity issues.
- Represented FCC at public planning inquiry which was held to determine whether the strategic waste site at Bletchley should be allowed to continue until 2037.
- Acting for Manor Farm Feeds Ltd in respect of the first appeal against an Environment Agency penalty notice for breaches a of Climate Change Agreement.
The team at Gateley Legal is noted for its expertise in regulatory and criminal investigations instigated by the Environmental Agency, as well as for advising a roster of clients across the manufacturing, retail, food and construction sectors on environmental, health and safety compliance issues. Pauline Munro heads the Leeds-based team and advises on contentious environmental matters. The practice counts United Molasses Group, Collins Earthworks Limited and Grupo Bimbo among its key list of clients.
Taylor Wimpey Plc
Bellway Homes Plc
Vistry (Bovis Homes)
Donald Ward Limited
United Molasses Group
Dr. Oetker (UK) Ltd
Collins Earthworks Ltd
Grupo Bimbo UK Limited
Chubb European Group SE
BioMarsh Environmental Limited
- Acting for United Molasses Storage following a major acid leak at its bulk storage facility in Hull in 2017.
- Acting for a housebuilder accused by the EA of polluting a watercourse and killing fish.
Tyr frequently acts for clients across the energy, construction and retail sectors in investigations instigated by the Environment Agency or local authorities, and is well-placed to advise on compliance issues, particularly in the waste sector. Praised as an ‘excellent tactician and communicator’, Lyn Dario leads the practice and specialises in regulatory environmental matters.
‘Lyn Dario has great experience in the field of health and safety and is highly regarded by clients. Excellent tactician and communicator. She has achieved some outstanding results for clients.’
‘This is a relatively new firm but has an incredible weight of talent in place already. The impact on regulatory as a whole has been significant, with a particular emphasis on environmental regulation.’
‘Lyn Dario joined Tyr a couple of years ago due to her formidable reputation. In my view, she is one of the top regulatory lawyers in Yorkshire, if not the country. Through her expert guidance, we have routinely achieved consistent and considerable success on a vast range of matters.’
- Advised a leisure business on alleged statutory nuisance, and appeal of abatement notice.
- Acted for a pipeline operator on an investigation into potential pipeline leak.
- Advising a waste company on its permit conditions relating to odour management.