Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
The commercial litigation team at CMS is frequently instructed in a range of commercial, contract and corporate disputes and is developing a particular niche in the healthcare, public procurement and technology sectors. Names to note include 'ingenious innovator' George Lubega, who heads up the team and has a broad practice assisting public and private sector clients, and senior associate Richard Wilson, who has particular experience acting for international clients in overseas matters and excels in the financial services, sport and infrastructure sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘George Lubega acts as a seamless extension of client’s in-house teams and is genuinely driven to understand the client’s objectives.‘
‘George Lubega demonstrates the candour to manage client expectations and displays a brilliance in forward planning and strategy.‘
‘George Lubega is a trusted adviser to clients; he is always available and has the ability to reach practical solutions in technically complex matters.‘
Cantel UK Limited
Community Resourcing Ltd
Consort Medical Plc
Holland & Barrett
Industrial Chemicals Group Limited
New Balance Athletic Shoes (UK) Limited
Verity Trustees Limited (trading as TPT Retirement Solutions)
Wildlife Group Limited
Writtle Holdings Limited
- Represented Consort Medical in a cross-border dispute over the agreement for the development and manufacture of a medical device.
- Acted for Community Resourcing in a dispute relating to the lawfulness of a procurement process for HR services.
- Instructed by Qatar Airways in a number of passenger disputes, including complex compensation claims and general contractual disputes.
- Defended New Balance Athletic Shoes in a claim brought by the management companies of footballer Marouane Fellaini relating to a product endorsement contract.
- Acted for Wildlife Group in a contractual dispute with an information technology company, which involved issues of unjust enrichment, damages and the delivery up of property.
DLA Piper UK LLP assists its impressive client roster, which spans a broad range of public and private sector clients across the IT, engineering, manufacturing and transport sectors, with a range corporate, commercial and contractual disputes. Practice head Richard Norman is highlighted for his expertise in handling IT, outsourcing and telecoms disputes, while senior associate Barney Connell has particular experience advising the financial services sector. Other names to note included senior associates Harriet Farrant, James Watson and David Molyneux for construction industry, technology sector and pensions disputes respectively.
‘The dispute resolution practice at DLA Piper UK LLP provides clear, practical and honest advice and deals with matters as economically as possible, taking into account the long term interests of the client.‘
‘The commercial litigation team at DLA Piper UK LLP has the ability to understand the central issues and to recommend the most appropriate means of dealing with them as quickly as possible.‘
- Acted for Boots in a claim for significant historic overcharging for water management services provided by Severn Trent Water at Boots’ Beeston site.
- Defended The Coal Authority in a subsidence claim relating to Wentworth Woodhouse.
Freeths LLP handles a variety of contentious matters ranging from shareholder and partnership disputes to public procurement challenges, contractual claims, insolvency matters and reputation management work. James Hartley, who splits his time between the Leeds and Sheffield offices, heads up the team alongside the 'super smart' James Berry, who attracts praise for being 'very personable and quick on the uptake' and focuses on the manufacturing, construction and technology sectors. Senior associate Mark Gudgeon acts for clients in a range of commercial disputes including public procurement challenges.
James Hartley; James Berry
Other key lawyers:
Mark Gudgeon; Ciaran Dearden
‘Freeths LLP commercial litigation team provides a very professional and pleasant approach to clients.‘
‘Freeths LLP is an excellent choice for anyone (claimant or defendant) who requires advice or representation in commercial disputes, whether in Yorkshire or indeed nationally.‘
‘Freeths LLP‘s dispute resolution team is very experienced, competent, professional and good value.‘
‘Freeths LLP‘s provides partner-led client engagement with a broad range of specialist areas and an effective network of wider business contacts.‘
‘Freeths LLP litigation team provides clear advice, unwavering support, genuine interest in the client’s business, unprompted updates and engagement.‘
‘James Hartley has a great reputation in Yorkshire for commercial litigation.‘
‘James Berry is quick to respond and is able to confidently and concisely provide sound advice that is understandable and clear to a lay person.‘
‘James Berry is absolutely first rate — he is highly intelligent, strong analytically and strategically, extremely hardworking and excellent with clients.’
‘James Berry is the man you want on your side in commercial litigation; he is the complete package.‘
‘Associate Ciaran Dearden is one to watch as he is smart, diligent and dedicated to the client’s interests.‘
Global Technologies Racing Limited
MGS Technical Plastics Limited
Paragon Quality Foods Limited
Additive Manufacturing Technologies Limited
Advanced Alloy Services Limited
Solpro Manufacturing Limited
C Spencer Limited
EMP Technologies Limited
EMC Solihull MBC
Healthcare Business Solutions (UK) Limited
Engie Fabricom UK Limited
Zoll Medical UK Limited
EMC Melton Borough Council
Rafico Engineering Ltd
- Acted for Global Technologies Racing in a dispute relating to the manufacturing of hydro-foils for use in the round the world yacht race, The Vendee Globe.
- Represented Jacobs in a case brought by Marston challenging the public procurement process taken by The Ministry of Justice in awarding five regional contracts for national enforcement and debt collection services, two of which had been awarded to Jacobs.
- Acted for a metropolitan borough authority in a public procurement challenge brought by a prominent waste provider.
- Advised a metropolitan borough authority in human rights and personal injury claims brought by two minors relating to the authority’s alleged failure to place them into care early enough to avoid psychological harm.
Irwin Mitchell's team handles a range of commercial, contractual and corporate disputes including shareholder and derivative claims and restrictive covenant litigation. The group counts retail, professional services, insurance, IT and manufacturing companies as well as high-net-worth individuals among its client base. Steven Beahan heads up the team and has particular experience in insurance sector disputes, while Dorrien Peters focuses on IT, manufacturing, engineering and construction disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Arc Legal Assistance Ltd
Natural Instinct Limited
Janspeed Technologies Limited
- Represented an offshore investment fund in an expert determination worth over £2m.
- Acted for a training provider in a complex claim involving allegations of fraud with a value of over £450,000.
Keebles has notable experience handling a range of contentious matters, with particular expertise in the manufacturing, creative and digital industries and healthcare waste management sectors. Michael Peacock heads up the team, which includes Giles Searby, whose experience includes handling contentious IP and international trade issues; property litigator Andrew McKenzie Smith and Doncaster-based Sarah Burton, who is frequently instructed in disputes with a cross-border element.
‘Keebles provides an excellent commercial litigation and dispute resolution service, combining a high level of legal expertise and efficiency with a practical and business like approach to dispute resolution which fulfils the commercial needs of its clients. It is a leading firm in Sheffield.‘
‘All of the solicitors at Keebles are thoroughly professional and effective lawyers and also a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Andrew McKenzie Smith in particular is efficient, diligent and always delivers on time.‘
Franke UK Ltd
Riverside Park Ltd
Electrosteel Castings Ltd
City Estates Ltd
Independent Forgings & Alloys
Motorway Direct plc
Purex International Ltd
Delicious Alchemy Ltd
Togel Construction Ltd
Don Valley Engineering Ltd
Empire Property Concepts
Robson Handling Technology Ltd
- Represented Sharpsmart in a claim against Healthcare Environmental Services for sums payable for services rendered.
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited handles a range of contentious matters spanning contractual disputes, tort and professional negligence claims and property litigation. Nick Lambert, who focuses on handling complex contractual disputes, heads up the team, which includes IP litigation expert Mark Serby, and directors Holly Dobson and Elizabeth Shaw, who specialise in inquests and data protection, and property litigation respectively.
Bell & Buxton
The commercial litigation team at Bell & Buxton is instructed by a combination of private clients and SMEs on a range of contentious matters from property disputes to passing off claims and professional negligence matters. Practice head Emma Digby has broad experience in contentious matters relating to employment, property and contractual issues.
- Advised a professional executor on forfeiture and commercial debt recovery matters relating to a substantial estate.
- Acted for a client in a passing off claim against a competitor.
- Defended a substantial dilapidations claim made following the departure of commercial premises.
- Acting for a client in the property sector with a professional negligence claim brought against the managing agent of several of the client’s properties.
- Acted for an engineering company in a threatened passing off action.
Lupton Fawcett is instructed by private clients and companies in the manufacturing, trading, property and educational sectors. Simon Lockley handles a range of litigation spanning shareholder and partnership claims, civil fraud and contractual disputes, while Rob Cooke has particular experience in acting for pub landlords in disputes arising from The Pubs Code Regulations 2016.
Other key lawyers:
‘The dispute resolution team at Lupton Fawcett is on the ball, positive and ready to come up with good solutions to all issues.‘
Yorkshire Cancer Research
Hand Picked Hotels
Chaucer Foods Limited
York Mailing Group Limited
- Acting for a private individual looking to recover around £750,000 that has been misappropriated by a limited company.
- Defending the sole director of a company in a £2.6m claim for employment benefit trusts.
- Successfully represented a client in a claim against a party wall surveyor for a seven-figure sum of damages.
- Defending a client in a complex contractual claim, and acting for the same client in a counter claim.
- Successfully acted for a property developer in obtaining an injunction for a client, enabling a large development of residential houses to proceed.
Taylor & Emmet LLP
Taylor & Emmet LLP is instructed by a range of private clients and corporates and has notable expertise in the automotive, retail and manufacturing industries. Paul Smith, who has a breadth of expertise in a range of commercial disputes, arbitrations and adjudications, leads the practice, which includes associate Adam Hollis, who has particular experience in handling residential landlord and tenant matters and insolvency disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Greenhill Air Conditioning Limited
Dealer Management Systems Limited
Carrs of Sheffield (Manufacturing) Limited
Gemini Computer Systems Limited
- Represented several individuals in disputed multi-party leasehold enfranchisement proceedings.
- Advising property search companies in a high-value claim against a number of national water and sewerage undertakers.
- Represented individuals in a multi-party neighbour dispute over an easement.
- Acted for a director and shareholder, who had been excluded from his business by his co-director and co-shareholders.
- Acting in an agricultural partnership dispute, with claims by the exiting partner for estoppel against a farm owned by his father, who is also a partner in the business.