Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
Addleshaw Goddard has 'a proactive and commercial view' and handles a range of commercial disputes as well as 'assisting clients with planning to minimise the risk of needing to invoke dispute resolution'. The team has the ability to operate internationally and acts for a range of local, national and global clients, with particular experience in the energy, IT, industrials, transport and health sectors. The team is jointly led by Simon Kamstra, Bill Gilliam and Sally Emerton; Kamstra acts in international disputes and arbitrations with a focus on the energy, aviation, manufacturing sectors alongside expertise in judicial reviews and public law; Gilliam has expertise in procurement challenges, IT projects, M&A claims, supply and outsourcing disputes, and Emerton is a finance disputes specialist. Louise Dobson is another key name, particularly for her knowledge of the health and pharmaceuticals, local government and retail sectors.
Simon Kamstra; Bill Gilliam; Sally Emerton
Other key lawyers:
‘Addleshaw Goddard‘s strong commercial litigation team is not only legally astute but able to provide practical and commercial advice.‘
‘Addleshaw Goddard provides excellent strategic advice and supports the client’s long-term strategic planning.‘
‘Simon Kamstra is a knowledgeable and commercially astute solicitor.‘
‘Bill Gilliam is a very good practitioner.‘
‘Ryan Geldert is an excellent associate, quick to respond and has a good grasp of the law and the commercial realities.‘
‘Associate Marie Broadhead gives excellent advice in a timely manner, helps to plan client’s long-term strategies, gives pragmatic advice an,d at the same time, comprehensively covers the technical detail so as to minimise risk.‘
McKesson UK (including Lloyds Pharmacy Limited and AAH Pharmaceuticals)
Crown Commercial Services
NHS Commercial Solutions Framework
- Advising a major engineering business on streamlining and enhancing its internal processes for pursuing and defending claims arising in its supply chain.
- Acted for SSE as an intervenor in judicial review proceedings brought by various embedded generator claimants challenging an Ofgem decision.
- Acted for Raphaels in a claim brought by Zebra Finance under a credit broking and outsourced services agreement.
DLA Piper UK LLP has broad expertise across several areas including competition law disputes, contract management claims and international arbitration. Practice head David Young has particular experience in pensions law, trusts issues, competition law and judicial reviews, while Simon Kenyon is key name for technology disputes and Paul Stone is particularly active in public and administrative law matters and contentious procurement mandates.
‘The team understands the client’s needs and gives sound advice based on business needs.‘
‘DLA Piper UK LLP continues to be a top-tier local firm in commercial litigation in Leeds. The team is consistently professional and effective in its work and communication with regular meetings, emails and telephone conversations from key individuals, allowing for a smooth delivery of legal services. Beyond this, it makes a concerted effort to become familiar with the workings and processes of its client, making it clear that it cares by providing appropriate expertise in order to deliver the best results.‘
‘Simon Kenyon is always very responsive, answering questions quickly and navigating difficult situations.‘
‘Paul Stone remains an excellent and trusted adviser.‘
‘David Young is very calm and strategic.‘
‘Kathryn Ford is very competent.‘
Birmingham city council
Hitachi Rail Europe
- Represented Hitachi Rail in its challenge to the award of a £1bn contract by London Underground to a competitor.
- Acted for Birmingham City Council in a £1bn PFI contract dispute with Amey.
- Defended Polycom in £10m claim brought by trading partner, Ashton Bentley.
- Defended Merseytravel in four separate claims brought by Bombardier relating to the award of £600m rolling stock contracts.
- Acting for Highways England in £70m dispute with an M25 maintenance provider.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP advises its impressive client roster on a range of contentious matters, with experience handling high-profile litigation and international arbitrations. Gary Pellow (who heads up the commercial litigation group nationally) jointly leads the practice alongside product liability and procurement disputes expert Richard Matthews, and international head of TMT disputes James Hyde. The group's other specialisms include energy disputes, for which Mark Howarth is a key name to note; Chris Buddle focuses on the food and retail, industrial engineering, defence and waste resources sectors, and Deborah Polden is developing a growing expertise in unfair prejudice claims and breach of confidence and restrictive covenant cases.
Gary Pellow; Richard Matthews; James Hyde
Yum! Brands (KFC and Pizza Hut)
- Successfully represented the Canal & River Trust (CRT) before the Court of Appeal in a dispute relating to the price to be paid by Thames Water for water abstracted from a waterway owned and managed by CRT and sold by Thames to its corporate customers and consumers.
- Acting for a leading automotive part manufacturer in a significant claim before the English High Court arising from a fatality on a motorway in France.
- Assisted several leading retailers and transport companies in high-profile interchange fee competition litigation against Mastercard and Visa.
- Acted for the National Iranian Oil Company as defendant in one of the world’s largest oil and gas disputes, in which claimants seek damages in excess of $15bn.
- Successfully represented Agents’ Mutual in the Competition Tribunal and Court of Appeal in litigation against estate agents, Gascoigne Halman alleging breach of contract.
Boutique litigation firm Stewarts Law LLP has the scope to handle a range of high-value complex commercial disputes. The group is particularly highly regarded for its experience in fraud and corruption, cartel damages claims, IT disputes and financial services litigation. Mo Bhaskaran is noted for his expertise in complex disputes and heads up the practice, which includes 'experienced litigator' Kate Pollock, Martin Walsh, who leads the firm's technology-sector disputes department, and recently promoted partner Nick Haworth.
‘Stewarts Law LLP is a boutique litigation firm with strong expertise in competition damages cases.‘
‘Stewarts Law stands out for its ability to delve into litigation, investigate every aspect minutely and think outside the box.‘
‘The team is fast-moving, always dynamic and energetic, while at the same time being highly meticulous.‘
‘Kate Pollock has a keen eye for detail and a willingness to go the extra mile for clients.‘
‘Kate Pollock is a delight to work with.‘
‘Mo Bhaskaran is especially clever, experienced, strategic and good with clients and opponents.‘
‘Nick Haworth is incredibly bright, responsive, commercial, and responsive with skills and knowledge that go way beyond what you would necessarily expect from a lawyer, which means that he takes away from you a lot of the investigative work needed for litigation. He is also easy and fun to work with, making the whole litigation experience far better than it might otherwise be.‘
Marks & Spencer
Asda Group Limited
Wm Morrison plc
Home Retail Group plc
BlueOak Capital LLC
Niamac (formerly trading as Safeglaze UK)
- Acting for Asda Stores, Home Retail Group and Wm Morrison Supermarkets against MasterCard to recover damages for cartel activity. Following a favorable judgement for the claimants at the Court of Appeal, the defendant has been granted permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.
- Defended Niamac (formerly trading as Safeglaze UK) and others in a trading dispute brought by Safestyle UK relating to the alleged theft of confidential information, poaching staff, passing off, trade mark infringement and other allegations.
- Acting for iiyama (UK) in a cartel damages claim relating to the manufacturer of LCD screens.
- Assisting BlueOak Arkansas with an urgent application made for the release of an interim injunction obtained by Tetronics UK preventing HSBC from paying out on a £4.5m on-demand guarantee.
- Instructed by the Public Institute for Social Security, Kuwait in a claim issued against Man Group for bribes estimated to be in excess of $80m.
Praised for its 'attention to detail, strategic planning and forward thinking', the practice at Walker Morris LLP acts for a range of local, regional and international clients including large UK housebuilders, US-headquartered industrial companies and Western European-based energy companies. Team head Gwendoline Davies is experienced in handling pensions litigation, trade disputes, contentious corporate and partnership matters, product liability issues, nuisance claims and technology sector disputes; Malcolm Simpson has notable expertise in the manufacturing, automotive, power generation, property development and technology sectors, and Nick Lees has particular knowledge of the food and drink sector.
‘Malcolm Simpson is a conscientious lawyer who does a good job.‘
‘The skillful and intelligent way that Walker Morris LLP disarms and collapses any opposing arguments that are not founded on the White Book or factual matters of law and process brings a refreshing sigh of relief that they are your lawyers and not the opponents.‘
‘Walker Morris LLP fields a first-rate team doing superb quality work, outshining many firms based in London.‘
‘With great leadership by Gwendoline Davies, the team at Walker Morris LLP employs a commercial and tactical approach linked to good technical knowledge.‘
LF Europe (part of Li & Fung)
Wright Leisure Limited (t/a Xercise4less)
1st in Rail
Mibelle (part of Migros)
- Advising the liquidators of Changtel Solutions in a High Court claim for £38m against the former director involving allegations that the company was knowingly used as a vehicle for fraud and asset dissipation.
- Acting the former CEO of Kings Security Systems in a dispute between the King family and the investors.
Pinsent Masons LLP handles a broad range of contractual and tortious disputes, particularly in the manufacturing, engineering and chemicals, technology and outsourcing and higher education sectors. Practice head Andrew Masterson specialises in product liability, pensions and IT disputes, while legal director Louise Nahon is particularly strong in engineering-related cases. Pensions litigator Julian Sladdin and James McBurney, who handles a range of corporate litigation, are other names to note.
‘The Leeds team of Pinsent Masons has all of the capabilities of a London-based practice but with the advantages of lower pricing and, critically, far higher partner involvement in a given case. This has allowed it to build up an enviable practice of commercial work from all over the UK (including London) along with international disputes.‘
‘The team skilfully defends against very difficult and complex issues with absolute attention to detail and analytical thinking, which create a robust and thorough defence. It demonstrates perseverance, patience, absolute legal understanding, superb analytical thinking, dominant negotiating skills, the ability to always give clear and sound advice and guidance, and an overall high level of intellect.‘
‘The calibre of the team, led by James McBurney, is demonstrated by the national and international nature of its work. It has the strength in depth and capability to deal with large-scale disputes.‘
‘James McBurney is an excellent lawyer who genuinely cares about the cases he works on and ensures that he gives each case his full attention. He has a good understanding of the commercial value of a claim and is an expert at achieving an outstanding result for his clients but is prepared to take claims to trial if a settlement cannot be reached.‘
‘James McBurney is a reliable and experienced litigator who “gets the job done”. He has a keen eye for detail and is closely involved in his disputes.‘
Hamad Aldrees &Partners Holding Co. for Industry and Mining
University of London
Nottingham Trent University
University of Sheffield
- Acted for Hamad Aldrees & Partners Holding Company for Industry and Mining in a multi-million pound claim against an English company relating to the supply of mineral separating units to process silica sand in Saudi Arabia for use in the glass industry.
- Advised the University of London on strategic and reputational matters relating to the defense of a claim brought in the US by a student alleging breach of contract.
- Defended Nottingham Trent University in a long running Equality Act and breach of contract claim brought by a former student who suffers from a number of mental and physical disabilities.
- Advising the University of Sheffield in a claim before the Court of Appeal challenging the university’s decision to remove a student from a social work course following the students homophobic comments made on social media.
Squire Patton Boggs' litigation and international dispute resolution team has experience handling a range of contentious matters at local, regional, national and international levels with expertise across a variety of sectors including the manufacturing, education, technology, retail, IT, property development and logistics industries. The group is led by Jason Blakey, who joined from DWF and is frequently instructed on a range of contractual and tortious disputes; other noteworthy individuals include Simon Lucas, who specialises in export controls and international trade compliance, and Simon Miller, who has now taken a consultant role at the firm. Lucci Dammone retired.
Komori UK Limited
Contact (Print and Packaging) Limited/Contact Holdings Limited
Bluestone Leasing Limited
Ikonic Technology Limited
Clipper Logistics PLC
Contis Group Limited
- Acted for Quartzelec in a £2m claim against Weir Engineering Services relating to electrical engineering work done at geothermal power plants in the Philippines.
- Acted for Contact Holdings in a £1.2m claim against its insurer, Travelers, for an indemnity following the failure of a printing press at its site in Stockport.
- Defending Contact (Print and Packaging) against allegations brought by Glossop Cartons and Print for breach of warranty, misrepresentations and breach of contract relating to an asset purchase agreement entered into by the parties.
The commercial litigation team at Clarion has an impressive client roster and a breadth of experience in domestic and international disputes, with growing expertise in the technology, outsourcing and food sectors. Practice head and 'heavyweight litigator' Simon Young has 'a strong reputation in the Leeds market' and attracts praise for 'his diligence and judgement'; other key names to note include Dominic Higham, particularly for IT and outsourcing disputes, experienced litigator and mediator David Williams, and senior associate Kayleigh Fantoni, whose experience spans IT software agreement disputes and acting for financial services businesses in guarantee claims.
‘The litigation team at Clarion is well coordinated, efficient and responsive.‘
‘The personable and hardworking commercial litigation team at Clarion is always quick to respond and very professional at all times.‘
‘Clarion‘s litigation experience is hard to beat, it is one of the best for value for money.‘
‘Clarion‘s litigation team punches above its weight.‘
‘Simon Young is an excellent and highly experienced litigator, who is clearly tactically very astute at directing complex and high-value cases.
‘Simon Young performs with the confidence that comes from being an experienced and top-notch litigator.‘
Silverstone Circuits Ltd
Kingspan Insulation Plc
Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies UK Limited
LNT Group Ltd
Best Western Hotels Group
Gulf Gas & Power
Impact Oil & Gas Limited
Caddick Group plc
Wilton UK Ltd
Bayford & Co Ltd
- Acted for Silverstone Circuits in high-value contract disputes.
- Represented the Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust in its £8m claims regarding system implementation and service and support issues arising out of the Trust’s five-year healthcare IT contract with Atos.
- Represented Wilton UK and others in £50m derivative, contract and professional negligence claims.
- Acting for four clients in a fraudulent misrepresentation claim against a large plc in the pharmaceuticals sector.
- Acting for Ten Acres Holdings in declarations to challenge the validity of certain security documents.
Schofield Sweeney's team includes individuals based across Yorkshire in the firm's Bradford and Leeds offices. It is frequently instructed on a range of complex litigation in the region and nationally; recently the group has been particular busy handling shareholder and other corporate disputes. Bradford-based James Staton, who has significant experience in a range of High Court and Commercial Court litigation as well as mediation, heads up the team, which includes Leo Jones-Rowe in Leeds, who has particular experience handling tax disputes. Alistair Kennedy and Mathew Fidler left the practice and set up new firm Tyr Law.
Other key lawyers:
GMI Construction Group Plc
Greenhous Group Limited
A Shade Greener
- Defended three former company directors in a £39m claim brought by a former shareholder.
- Acted for a car finance company in a £30m shareholder dispute under the Companies Act 2006.
- Represented a former director of a large umbrella employment company relating to personal liability notices issued by HMRC following the company’s insolvency and the related commercial claims against their former advisers.
- Acted for Romac Logistics in defending an application for interim relief and an underlying claim for misuse of confidential information made by Moran Logistics.
- Acted for an individual in a farming partnership dispute relating to £7m of assets.
3volution Limited has experience across a range of corporate, contractual and tortuous disputes. Practice head Tim Stone has particular expertise in pensions disputes, while recently promoted partner Samantha Wragg counts financial services, professional negligence, defamation and contentious trust and probate disputes among her areas of focus. IP litigator Sara Ludlam is another name to note.
‘Tim Stone is an intelligent lawyer, with a strong reputation for pensions disputes in particular.‘
FP Processing Limited
Goldnch Entertainment Limited
TSA Service Limited
Evolution Technical Services Limited
Yesterday and Today
Fresh Pastures CIC
Nexus Vehicle Management Limited
Quirky Ales Limited
CGF Marketing Limited
Cape Industrial Services Limited
- Defending Omega Atlantic in a claim brought by Hawksmoor Property Services, Comino Investments and Lambert Smith Hampton Group relating to monies owed for the provision of professional services.
- Acted for Print Express Partnership in a contractual dispute with Asendia UK regarding postal services provided throughout 2015.
- Acting for Haandle in allegations of patent infringement brought by a German-based patent owner and the English licensee.
- Representing an individual in claims brought against his former independent financial advisors.
Freeths LLP handles a range of issues including international dispute resolution and arbitration, trusts, estates and private litigation, pensions matters, competition litigation and insurance sector claims. James Hartley, who has expertise in litigation funding, heads the team, which includes Lindsey Clegg, who is frequently instructed in cross-border commercial disputes, and legal director Stephen Lewis, who has particular expertise in insurance litigation. The team benefits from the addition of senior associate Laura Short, a trusts and estates dispute specialist, who joined from Jones Myers LLP.
‘Freeths LLP‘s dispute resolution team has been making an impact on the Leeds legal market and is developing a reputation for handling some good work.‘
‘The individuals at Freeths are clearly experts in their field.‘
‘Freeths LLP‘s dispute resolution practice provides customers the best answer for the best value for money, with no hint of complacency.‘
‘The litigation team at Freeths LLP is very personable, easy to work and communicate with, and combines good team spirit with a competent professional approach to issues.‘
‘Freeths LLP has excellent technical skills and awareness of the law, combined with a practical approach to cases and a very pragmatic approach to solving the problem at hand and finding the solution for the client.‘
‘Senior associate Laura Short is very on the ball, technically excellent and a great advocate to have fighting your corner.’
North Tyneside Council
Onur Air T.S.
- Acting for over 550 sub-postmasters, against Post Office regarding alleged faults in the Post Office’s national computer system, Horizon.
- Represented Onur Air in its defence of Commercial Court proceedings arising out of the catastrophic failure of an aircraft engine leased to it by a major aviation lessor.
- Advised a client in a claim for breach of trust and account of profits arising out of the wrongful division of business revenues and the misappropriation of a portfolio of properties.
- Successfully resolved a long-running family partnership and trust dispute.
- Representing a Brazilian subsidiary of a UK manufacturer in an £11m dispute arising out of the manufacture and distribution of heavy plant for the oil and gas industry.
Gateley Plc is instructed to advise clients on the avoidance, management and resolution of a range of contentious matters. It has particular expertise in handling disputes relating to residential developments, procurements and the higher education, retail, energy and engineering sectors. Practice head Gerard Khoshnaw and Andrew Johnson are active in the team's sector specialisms; Simon Ingham has particular expertise in construction disputes and counts several large housebuilders as clients, and Gavin Winter focuses on property litigation.
Royal London Insurance
Taylor Wimpey Plc
Crest Nicholson Plc
Miller Homes Limited
Birmingham City University
FCC Environment UK Limited
Bovis Homes Limited
J LIvesey Group
- Representing a FTSE 250 construction company in pursuing a claim for final payment due pursuant to the terms of an SPA.
- Defending Persimmon in a £3.3m claim brought by 69 residents who purchased apartments on Swansea Dock.
- Acted for FCC Environment UK in a procurement challenge against Wychavon Borough Council relating to a waste contract, which FCC was the incumbent supplier but had been unsuccessful in its tender.
- Acting for a wealthy farming family in a dispute with a developer regarding the terms of an overage agreement regarding a 300 acre development site in the North East.
- Acting for Bovis Homes in a claim for damages and injunctive relief for nuisance against an occupier of a neighbouring site.
With Gordons LLP's sector specialisms firmly rooted in retail and food, the dispute resolution team frequently acts for these clients in a range of contentious matters. The group also has particular experience in the manufacturing, chemicals and banking and real estate sectors. Stephen McVey focuses on retail, as well as IP and media litigation. Bradford-based Graeme Davy, (who splits his time between debt recovery, commercial litigation and property disputes) and Mark Jones (who acts for a large number of food businesses in supply chain-related disputes) are other key names to note.
Freemans plc and Grattons Plc
Moss Bros. Group Plc
Nisa Retail Limited
Original Factory Shop Limited
Molson Coors Brewing Company (UK) Ltd
- Acted for Mezzino in a dispute with the landlord of large-scale student accommodation relating to the termination of property management agreements.
- Acted for a liquidator in pursuing claims for recovery of payments made by a former law firm, which is now in liquidation.
Irwin Mitchell handles a range of commercial, corporate and contractual litigation. IP litigator Alex Newman heads the team, which includes James Laycock, who has particular expertise in contentious wills, trusts and estates; and senior associate Richard Payne, who has experience in breach of warranty, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of restrictive covenant disputes. The group's other specialisms include handling franchising disputes and construction sector claims.
‘James Laycock is a good lawyer and is well-respected in Leeds.‘
‘Irwin Mitchell has an excellent ability to look at the problems from all angles.‘
‘Emma Yates is a tenacious solution finder.‘
Christeyns UK Limited
Transcal Holdings Limited
Pirtek (UK) Limited
Taskmaster Resources Limited
- Acted for Christeyns UK in a claim for breach of fiduciary duty and conspiracy to injure against the former managing director and former sales director of Alex Reid (a subsidary of the client) and two other individuals.
The disputes team at Langleys Solicitors LLP is frequently instructed on commercial contract disputes between business entities as well as matters involving European Institutions, shareholders and directors disputes and IP litigation. The group also frequently assists various departments of the European Commission with several matters including the enforcement of community judgments in the UK courts. 'Very sound and articulate commercial lawyer' James Henson leverages his broad commercial disputes experience in heading up the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘The cohesive and tight-knit team at Langleys Solicitors LLP knows its areas of law well.‘
‘James Henson is able to cut to the essence of a dispute quickly and explain the process well to his clients.’
‘James Henson is intelligent and easy-going; a combination that serves him well with his client base.‘
Electricity North West Limited
Software Box Limited
Helmsley Securities Limited/ Helmsley Group Limited
W Boyes & Co Limited
- Acted for a builders merchants in a tripartite dispute over the quality of manufactured goods.
- Acted for a media sector client in a dispute relating to allegations of wrongful termination of contract, inducing breach of contract and breach of copyright.
- Represented an IT sector client in a breach of warranty claim arising out of a share sale and purchase agreement.
- Defending a manufacturer in allegations of patent infringement.
- Acted for a transport sector client in a breach of contract claim.
The disputes team at LCF Law includes individuals based in Leeds and Bradford and is frequently instructed by well-known national and international companies on a range of contentious matters. Practice head Charles Abraham is noted particularly for his financial services expertise and experience in preparing applications for injunctive relief. Associate Roger Raper has acted for clients in a range of commercial litigation including insolvency and corporate recovery matters.
Other key lawyers:
Anglian Water Limited
PTSG (Premier Technical Services Group)
Brandon Tool Hire Limited
MKM Building Supplies Limited
Emerson Group (USA based)
G S F Limited
Jeremy Benn Associates Limited
J P D Distribution Limited
IXL (Malta) Limited
Mitie Pest Control (MPCL) Limited
- Defended the Emerson Group against substantial claims arising from energy supplies to several group companies.
- Acting for a care homes group in a multi-million pound claim concerning break costs against a bank.
- Represented Stage Coach Southwestern Trains in several matters including legal actions against trespassers at train stations.
- Acting for an organisation providing services to public authorities in a procurement claim against a drainage board relating to breach of procurement regulations.
Lupton Fawcett acts for a breadth of commercial clients as well as universities, landed estates, global ecclesiastical entities, property-holding businesses and investors. Jonathan Cripwell, who leads the team in York, has a niche specialism in civil fraud cases. Howard Rutter heads up the contentious probate practice and also has expertise in dealing with professional partnership matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Lupton Fawcett is extremely knowledgeable, approachable and technically excellent.‘
‘The dispute management team at Lupton Fawcett really cares about getting the best results for its clients and is a delight to work with.‘
‘Lupton Fawcett is particularly strong in litigation and, while it is a large firm, it deals with clients on a personal basis.‘
‘Associate Daniel Edwards‘ legal knowledge is encyclopaedic, but he is also very commercially astute. He’s a real star.‘
‘Howard Rutter has unrivalled experience in dealing with solicitors partnership disputes.‘
Redhall Group Plc
Hand Picked Hotels
Chaucer Foods Limited
Crossroads Truck & Bus Company
Victoria Hall Management
- Acted for an individual in successfully defending an application to rectify a legal charge granted in favour of the firm’s client.
- Acted for an individual in a partnership dispute.
- Acting for a multi-national company in multiple arbitrations arising from a construction project in the food manufacturing sector.
- Representing a food manufacturing client in a multi-million pound claim for loss of profits arising from a contract with a large supermarket.
- Acted for two former directors of a leisure and tourism sector company that had recently been sold in a breach of warranty claim brought by the purchasers.
Harrogate-based firm McCormicks is recognised for its representation of sports sector clients, which includes participants and regulators. The team has experience handling a range of contentious matters including contractual claims, construction disputes, debt recovery issues, professional negligence matters and contentious probate work. Beyond the sports sector, the group is growing its digital sector expertise with several new client wins. Philip Edmondson leads the department alongside senior partner Peter McCormick.
Philip Edmondson; Peter McCormick
‘McCormicks provides excellent advice and the outcome is delivered by consummate professionals.‘
The Premier League
Rudding Park Ltd
Leeds United Football Club
GMI Construction Group PLC
Oracle Finance Limited
DFS Furniture Company Limited
Solicitors Indemnity Fund Limited/Legal and Professional Insurance
The Isthmian League (Bostik League)
Lunchbox Theatrical Productions Limited
The Estate of the late John Strutt and associated Trusts
- Defending the Premier League in an FA Rule K Arbitration brought by Leyton Orient regarding the Olympic Stadium.
- Acted for the Premier League in a multi-million pound dilapidations dispute relating to its former headquarters.
- Acting for the Premier League in a competition law action brought by Doyen Sports via the EU Commission and in multiple other jurisdictions.
- Representing the Premier League in a dispute with the FA regarding potential reforms to home grown player rules.
- Advising on the liquidation of a firm of solicitors.
Shulmans LLP provides 'clear and concise advice' on a range of contentious matters covering contentious trusts and estates, technology disputes, IP matters, professional indemnity work and consumer credit claims. The team counts high-net-worth individuals and families as well as corporates among its client base. Richard Wadkin, who specialises in high-value business and family disputes, injunctions and road transport work, heads up the practice, which includes Mark Lumley (who acts predominantly for technology businesses) and environmental and regulatory specialist Lyn Dario.
‘Shulmans LLP has an extremely strong dispute resolution team, which is committed to its clients and securing the best outcome.‘
‘Shulmans LLP offers a careful and well-balanced approach to understanding all the issues surrounding litigation.‘
‘Shulmans LLP is a highly professional firm that treats every case individually and gives excellent advice and detailed responses, all at reasonable costs.‘
‘Associate Eleanor Stenson has a very calm and careful manner when advising and is very good at minimising the pressures associated with litigation.‘
‘Solicitor Clare Benger has passion and dedication to each matter.’
‘Commercially astute solicitor Sophie Brackenbury is diligent and committed with exceptional client care.‘
MHH Contracting Limited/Martin Hague
City Electrical Factors Limited
- Acting for MHH Contracting in a multi-million pound claim alleging breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Acted for City Electrical Factors in a claim for the recovery of a debt under various personal guarantees.
- Represented a manufacturing sector client in a claim for the recovery of money relating to a disputed unpaid invoice.
- Acting for the former director of Montpelier Business Reorganisation in claims worth £1m made against him and other shareholders for the repayment of deferred consideration and claims for other damages and injunctive relief triggered by alleged breaches of various agreements.
- Advised a private client in a contentious probate matter involving two competing wills.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP regularly handles contentious matters in the public sector, financial sector and chemical and manufacturing industries. It has a client roster including a mix of regional and national businesses and organisations and leverages its network to handle instructions with cross-border elements. Practice head Nick Mason has broad expertise, with particular experience in the public sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Womble Bond Dickinson fields a team of excellent commercial litigators, who are capable of dealing with a wide range of commercial disputes equally well.‘
‘Nick Mason’s well-researched approach to getting to know his clients provides a great foundation for a working relationship. His advice and approach to problems are informative and practical. Associate Tom Graham is also worthy of a special mention for his able and responsive approach.‘
‘Tom Graham is hardworking, dedicated and excellent with clients. Nick Mason has his finger on the pulse and gives good, strategic advice.‘
David Brown Gear Systems Limited
Roballo Engineering Company Limited
City of York Council
Sanderson Weatherall LLP
The dispute resolution practice at Blacks Solicitors LLP acts in a variety of contentious commercial and civil matters. Luke Patel has a broad client base, which includes owner-managed businesses, charities and international organisations. Darren Morgan has particular experience handling shareholder and partnership disputes, breach of commercial contract claims, professional negligence claims and tax-related litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The entire team at Blacks is very friendly, efficient and robust. The practice seems to really care about its clients.‘
‘Blacks has transformed itself from a modest Leeds player to a single office with local and national capability.‘
‘Blacks has a clear strategy and vision for the future. Its client care is impressive and partner led, and communication with Blacks is first class both with counsel and clients. It adheres to timelines and responds to requests for information immediately. Its service standards are impressive.‘
‘Luke Patel has a loyal client base and for good reason. He is personable, knowledgeable, persistent and very good at his job.‘
‘Luke Patel is a first-rate litigator. He is strategic and enthusiastic and works very well with his team to get the best out of them. Luke shows real commitment to the client and works very hard to achieve favourable outcomes. He clearly thrives on the cut and thrust of commercial litigation.‘
The corporate and commercial litigation team at DAC Beachcroft LLP handles dispute resolution as well as providing risk management advice to its clients, which are predominantly in the healthcare and local authority sectors. Duncan Greenwood heads the practice from Leeds and frequently works alongside the firm's other offices in the North.
Sheffield Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Lynne Young Associates Limited
Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Fullers Foods International plc
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Ascribe Limited (part of Emis Group PLC)
Chesterfield Royal NHS Foundation Trust
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Harrowells Solicitors' client roster spans large corporates to high-net-worth individuals particularly in the agricultural, horse racing and related business sectors. Simon Black is instructed on a range of commercial and civil litigation including contractual and company, shareholder and partnership disputes, while Richard Hugill handles a range of litigation and mediation. Paul Burkinshaw, who is based in the firm's Thirsk office, focuses on agricultural litigation.
- Acted for leading insolvency practitioners in claims arising from corporate insolvencies.
Metis Law Limited
Boutique firm Metis Law Limited acts in a range of contentious matters including contractual disputes and shareholder litigation. Founder and practice head Rajat Sharma has significant experience in the industrial, commercial, property and media sectors.
Karras Food Group
Northern Powerhouse Developments
Chelsea Food and Wine Group
- Acted for Gaia Ventures in a £1.9m breach of contract claim relating to the development of Milton Keynes Ice Rink.
- Successfully represented C21 London Estates in the Court of Appeal on liability issues in a £1m claim for breach of contract against the holders of the Century 21 franchise.
- Acted for Yoo Group in a construction dispute against Aqua Boracay relating to the construction of a £150m hotel island resort complex.
Ramsdens has the ability to assist clients with a range of civil and commercial litigation, and is active in professional services litigation and agriculture disputes. Steven Singh heads up the group which includes Paul Booth, who has experience in construction and engineering work, sale of goods, IP and company and commercial disputes, and Jeremy Cook, who has particular expertise in the manufacturing, environmental, health and food sectors. Nick Armitage is a key name for property litigation.
- Acted for Daniel Johns Manchester in an application for the judicial review of a decision by the local authority not to sell the freehold of part of a development site.
Harrogate-based firm Raworths is regularly instructed by high-growth privately owned businesses and entrepreneurs on a range of commercial litigation. Matthew Hill, who has particular expertise in handling complex agricultural and rural disputes in the region, heads up the practice, which includes experienced commercial and civil litigator Jonathan Mortimer.
Other key lawyers:
‘Raworths is definitely the long-standing leader in the Harrogate market; it combines the friendliness of a small(ish) firm with the expertise associated with a larger firm, but without the extortionate prices often associated with Leeds firms.‘
‘Raworths is a highly regarded law firm in Harrogate. It combine a quality of service and expertise to be expected in larger commercial centres with a sensitivity to what is important to its local clients.‘
‘Raworths has a grounded practice which is approachable and has the ability to work with a diverse range of clients.‘
‘Matthew Hill is an extremely robust and technically excellent lawyer, with outstanding commercial judgment.‘
‘Matthew Hill always gives sound reasoned advice and delivers it in a clear and straightforward way. He is generally always available for a telephone call or meeting.‘
The Trustees of the Rockspring Hanover Property Unit Trust
Dishang Cherry Limited
Dishang Imports Limited
Dishang Exports Limited
The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes
Financiere Mademoiselle Desserts
Environmental Technologies Limited
Cars on Demand Limited
Adler & Allan Limited
Technology Sciences (Europe) Limited
Zeal Media Limited
WorldNet Telecom LLP
Avrox Technologies Limited
- Acted for Financiere Mademoiselle Desserts in a £30m fraudulent misrepresentation claim brought against the majority of the sellers of Ministry of Cake, which the claimant had recently acquired.
- Defended Technology Sciences (Europe) in a high-value and technically complex breach of contract claim.
- Assisted a leading businessman whose assets of £50M were at risk as a result of a complex trust arrangement.
- Acted for Dishang in a complex and high-value commercial dispute with its former agent.
- Acting for a leading pharmaceuticals company in a complex distributor dispute.
The litigation services department at Shoosmiths LLP handles a range of contentious corporate and commercial matters and has particular experience in shareholder and warranty disputes. The group's client rosters spans numerous sectors including the retail, healthcare and manufacturing industries. Practice head Matthew Howarth has broad expertise and the ability to act in complex and cross-border disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc
Tefen Global Management Consulting Limited
Curotec Team Limited
Healthcare Environmental Services Ltd
Core Civils Ltd
- Acted for Xyfil in an claim relating to the alleged misuse of confidential information by a former employee and his new employer regarding the creation and manufacture of vaping liquids for e-cigarettes.
- Representing Curotec Team in a claim of malicious falsehood relating to the design and manufacture of vibration monitoring equipment for powered tools.
- Advised an Austrian and US-based oilfield equipment manufacturer and distributor and its UK subsidiary in an investigation into the potentially fraudulent behaviour of a UK-based director.
- Representing Tefen Global Management Consulting in a claim for breaches of an international joint venture arrangement with subsidiary companies in Israel, Italy and England and Scotland.
- Advising Healthcare Environmental Services on possible actions as a result of 27 NHS Trusts exercising their step-in rights and subsequently terminating their contracts.