DLA Piper's 'excellent team' has significant strength in cutting-edge projects across various sectors, with an emphasis on the banking, insurance, manufacturing and life sciences industries. In a recent highlight, the team advised HSBC on a risk assessment relating to the global roll out of its online financial sustainability platform, which involved a range of complex regulatory issues. Gareth Stokes maintains a busy practice, involving various technology and outsourcing matters for large national and international clients. Associate Jen Dale often advises financial services clients on major technology transactions, whereas senior associate Vipul Ladwa stands out for his broad IT practice.
IT and telecoms in West Midlands
Other key lawyers:
Jennifer Dale; Vipul Ladwa
‘Excellent team with great strength in depth, who have really invested in their relationship with us over several years. They now have a deep understanding of who we are and how we operate; to the extent that the relationship has become almost symbiotic.’
‘Good depth in the team – range of people to pick up work at an appropriate level as well as access to other regional and London based teams for specialist input.’
‘Gareth Stokes is exceptionally good at marshalling both legal and client teams in order to produce results, as well as being deeply sensitive to the commercial realities of contract negotiations and calm in a crisis.’
‘We have worked closely with Gareth Stokes and Jennifer Dale. Both have been technically excellent and very responsive, as well as pleasant to work with.’
‘The team demonstrates very good technology outsourcing expertise and a wealth of experience negotiating against technology suppliers.’
‘Gareth Stokes clearly has a firm grasp of IT outsourcing deals and IT law generally. He has provided our business with excellent counsel on a number of different projects.’
Smile Direct Club
- Advising AIB on its suite of contractual arrangements with Eir and EU Networks.
- Advising Synlab in relation to its role as the Covid-19 testing partner for international football matches.
- Advising Mphasis on strategic outsourcing and insurance matters, in addition to complex regulatory issues and commercial agreements.
Shoosmiths LLP specialises in handling complex IT procurements and transformation projects, often with a cross-border element. In a recent highlight, the team advised Estee Lauder on the global procurement of its customer engagement platform; it also assisted Advance Magazine Publishers (the parent company of Conde Nast International) with the outsourcing of its technology operations centre in India. David Jackson leads the firm’s commercial group, focusing on technology oriented outsourcing projects, while Craig Armstrong advises large corporates and financial services companies on all facets of major technology projects, and Joe Stephenson is a key name to note for his expertise in large-scale IT projects. At a more junior level, senior associate Íofa O’Donnell stands out for her knowledge of software, hardware, SAAS and IT managed services contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Joe Stephenson; Íofa O’Donnell
‘Joe Stephenson and his team have been nothing but exceptional over the last twelve months.’
‘Pragmatism and speed of turnaround. Shoosmiths colleagues who have come to know us well, have a great understanding of our business which allows us to be pragmatic in approach and turning documents at speed. Underpinning this is a great cultural fit between the organisations, a can do attitude.’
Morgan Crucible plc
Cushman & Wakefield
Santander Consumer UK
Conde Nast International
- Advising Cellnex Telecom in relation to its bid for the TfL Mobile Commercialization tender, which will see 4G deployed on the London underground, in addition to a new fibre network installed to connect public buildings in London, Wi-Fi stations being taken over and deployment of 5G throughout London.
- Advised Advance Magazine Publishers on the first generation outsourcing of its technology operations centre based in India to provide IT support and services across its entire global business.
- Advised Estee Lauder Companies on the global procurement of its customer engagement platform with one of the world’s leading providers.
Squire Patton Boggs' 'highly capable' team has a strong foothold in various industries requiring IT services, however it stands out due to its expertise in technology-led energy projects, including matters involving electric vehicles and the development of clean air zones. In addition, clients benefit from the firm's international presence, which enables it to provide advice on global SaaS contracts, multi-jurisdictional fraud prevention strategies and various related matters. Stuart James is best known for advising clients on the procurement of IT systems in the healthcare, retail, financial services and utilities sectors. Simon Jones is an expert in IT outsourcing projects, with a niche in autonomous vehicles and smart manufacturing mandates. Associate Sam Tibbetts is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Simon Jones; Sam Tibbetts
‘Having used a number of firms over the past ten years, I find the depth of the commercial knowledge alongside the legal expertise offered to be exceptional. The team is responsive and motivated, and there seems to be a culture of hard work but with a very good balance between delivery and meeting our (sometimes changing) needs.’
‘The team have a lot of knowledge and expertise which they channel into simple, practical advice. They are results driven and so take a practical approach to getting the job done.’
‘Stuart James is the smartest lawyer I’ve worked with. His intellect is augmented by strong commercial acumen and pragmatism; his advice is first rate and is always provided with due regard for the commercial realities that we face (and detailed knowledge of the wider market). His team is strong but Stuart James is the person we turn to when we need in-depth advice.’
‘Stuart James is knowledgeable, curious, easy to work with and has a pragmatic understanding of the sector. He is clear on which points to fight for and which to concede based on your needs and risks.’
‘Simon Jones provided invaluable input and expertise on a recent technology and logistics project.’
Transport for Greater Manchester
Pets at Home
Kings Security Systems
Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
Grafton Group plc
ECI Partners LLP
Action Artificial Intelligence Limited
Arrow Global Group plc
- Advising Transport for Greater Manchester on the proposed Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan.
- Advising Kings Security Systems on the negotiation of a contract to deliver a software as a service security application to a leading European retailer, which will be accessed from over 12,000 stores across over 30 countries.
- Advised Grafton Group plc on the IT and IP aspects of its acquisition of StairBox, an industry leading manufacturer and distributor of staircases.
Leveraging its large national team, Browne Jacobson LLP's Birmingham practice primarily handles digital transformation projects. Its specific expertise lies in procurement work, licensing issues, software development projects, cyber and data protection mandates and IT disputes. Richard Nicholas leads the technology group, focusing on outsourcing arrangements, cloud computing issues and digital law. Associate Afshan Ahmed is also a core member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Richard Nicholas has been responsive, flexible and overall his commercial knowledge has been invaluable to me as a sole in-house counsel member. I found that he listens and provides constructive advice suiting to the circumstances in question. He is also calm and approachable, and I would highly recommend him to other in-house legal departments.’
‘They responded quickly to urgent asks and the advice was constructive.’
Itelligence Business Solutions
Euro Car Parts
Cloud Technology Solutions
Crown Prosecution Service
University of Hertfordshire
World Class Manufacturer of Motorcycles
Greenwood Academies Trust
Smrt Links Limited
- Advising Itelligence on its contracts with universities, companies and public sector bodies.
- Advised Euro Car Parts on a digital transformation project, which involved bringing various services online.
Codified Legal (previously known as Technology Law Alliance) strengthened its team in 2020 with the recruitment of consultant Manoj Paul, who previously worked in-house at Group 42 in UAE. Led by 'unflappable negotiator' Stephen Ollerenshaw, the team specialises in IT projects and outsourcing contracts involving clients from various sectors. Ollerenshaw also has specific expertise in offshore and pan-European outsourcing projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Codified Legal provides pragmatic, cost efficient and flexible legal services.’
‘Stephen Ollerenshaw is at the very top of his game. He has the necessary experience and skill to handle the most complex matters and navigate projects to reach a favourable conclusion. I cannot recommend him enough.’
‘Steve Ollerenshaw – pragmatic, unflappable heavyweight deal negotiator, who is down-to-earth, approachable and fair.’
Boston Consulting Group
- Advised Capgemini, a global IT and outsourcing giant, on major customer contracts, including the supply of IT services to a leading European car company with an Agile software development build and subsequent run of an e-commerce platform.
- Advised Broadridge Financial Services on the drafting and negotiation of contracts for software and outsourced services with leading banks and other financial institutions based in the UK and overseas.
- Advised Boston Consulting Group on contracts for professional services engagements.
Freeths LLP is well placed to advise clients across a broad spectrum of industries on outsourcing projects, cloud computing issues and GDPR work. Mark Neale, who is the firm's national head of IT and data, has a wealth of experience in traditional and emerging technology projects, including cross-border procurement strategies and M&A involving the transfer of data and IT systems. Among the associate pool, Matthew Johnson is a standout name, with particular strength in data protection mandates.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Arkphire on its seven-year £50m managed services contract with the UK’s largest independent charitable hospital, The London Clinic.
- Advising Carlsberg on its £780m deal with Marston’s plc to form a new joint venture beer company in the UK, Carlsberg Marston’s Brewing Company.
- Assisting Travis Perkins with a review of its existing IT arrangements and helping to develop strategies for the separation of IT solutions, in order to simplify the need for complicated transitional services arrangements following the future sale of the plumbing and heating division and the demerger of Wickes.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP utilises its nationwide resources to advise prominent companies in relation to technology M&A, investments and collaboration agreements. Andrew Hornigold has a strong track record in advising clients on the application of emerging technologies, while Clare Francis, who co-heads the practice alongside Hornigold, assists private and public sector clients with transformation projects and commercial opportunities. Senior associate Ben Gardner has a wealth of experience handling contractual arrangements in the automotive industry.
Andrew Hornigold; Clare Francis
Other key lawyers:
On Tower UK Limited
Envitia Group plc
E.ON UK plc
Focus Business Solutions
IRESS FS Limited
- Advised Sage on its $23m minority investment in Brightpearl Limited.
- Assisted Tesco on its very first investment in an early stage technology company – Trigo Vision.
- Advising NEC Group on property and commercial contracts with the NHS to enable the set up and use of the NEC site in Birmingham as a Nightingale Hospital, including the full IT system required on site in order to provide connectivity across the site.
Led by Charlotte Walker-Osborn, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's team focuses on various areas of regulatory IT mandates, including outsourcing projects, licensing issues, could computing work and data protection matters.
With particular strength in the technology, retail and telecoms sectors, Gowling WLG is known for handling various matters in the field of IT law, including cloud computing issues, data privacy mandates and outsourcing contracts. Patrick Arben, who leads the practice, is a go-to lawyer for clients seeking assistance with software licensing issues, data security work and systems integration projects.
Wright Hassall LLP
With a particular focus on the technology sector, Wright Hassall LLP provides clients with a broad offering, which includes handling outsourcing projects, IT mandates and employment litigation. Peter Maguire, who leads the practice, is well known for his expertise in drafting and negotiating outsourcing and commercial contracts for technology, security, manufacturing and logistics companies. Lindsay Ellis regularly handles technology procurement and outsourcing contracts.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have been working with Wright Hassall for over 20 years and I can confirm that they are very easy to work with, have great people who are experts in their field. Up until late 2020 I have been working with Lindsay Ellis, who is a great communicator and flexible.’
Computer Systems International Limited
- Advised Computer Systems Integration on a number of matters, including key client framework agreements, GDPR and data protection matters, IR35, and general commercial ad hoc queries.