IT and telecoms in West Midlands
Gowling WLG advises on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious matters, a wide client base spanning a range of sectors including aerospace and housing. The Birmingham practice, which works as part of a single unit with the firm's London team, is led by commercial, IT and outsourcing head Sally Mewies, who has more than 20 years' experience in technology-related contracts. Director Richard Smith left for a new role as deputy head of UK legal at National Express.
Mobile Broadband Networks Limited
Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
Virtus Data Centres
London Borough of Croydon
Infinis Energy Management Limited
A S Watson
Sanctuary Housing Association
- Advised Bromford Housing, a social enterprise, on its procurement of a partner to provide Enterprise Solutions and Transformation Partner Services via a Competitive Dialogue process.
- Advising Birmingham City Council on a range of negotiations with its joint venture partner Capita.
- Advising Xoserve on the procurement of a strategic hosting solution for its core operating software, and a re-platforming of the business-critical application that underpins pricing information in the gas industry.
- Lead advisors to a leading UK niversity on a key technology contract.
- Advised the shareholders of GCI Managed Services Group, one of the UK’s largest privately-owned ICT managed solutions providers, on the sale of a majority stake in the business to a private equity firm.
Shoosmiths LLP's practice, which comprises more than 20 lawyers, has a strong track record of non-contentious work, regularly acting on high-profile IT transactions for well-known corporates and handling complex business projects in the sector. Commercial group head David Jackson leads the experienced team, which includes TMT service line head Craig Armstrong and the 'dedicated and knowledgeable' Joe Stephenson.
Other key lawyers:
Craig Armstrong; Joe Stephenson
‘What makes Shoosmiths and their employees unique is that they are able to work extremely efficiently and effectively with complex business projects.’
‘Joe Stephenson has a fantastic ability to quickly understanding business and commercial needs. He has unique skill of explaining complex legal topics in an understandable way, giving clear examples of the implications to consider in a business context.’
‘My experience with Joe Stephenson made everything simple, easy and efficient – essential when working to tight deadlines.’
‘Very good value regional team, with many quality partners who were trained in magic and silver circle law firms.’
‘Joe Stephenson is a dedicated, knowledgeable and practical partner with quick turnaround and excellent client support. He provides a good value alternative to larger international firms.’
BNP Paribas Personal Finance
The White Company
Santander Consumer UK
- Advised Wilko on its rollout of GDPR compliant contractual terms to circa 50 of its largest (by spend) suppliers and also its framework IT services arrangements with a Tier 1 IT vendor, a leading IT solutions provider, to support Wilko’s IT and broader business transformation process.
- Advised a global provider of payment processing services in connection with its bid to undertake UK ATM switching and settlement services in connection with the LINK scheme.
- Advised Audi UK on its flagship mobility services digital platform.
- CDW is using its innovative Resource Solutions product to provide onsite and virtual support to the in-house legal team to help manage the large volume of customer transactions.
- Advised Santander Consumer UK plc on its strategic IT partnership with a system integration company, which provides critical IT architecture services to the company
Technology Law Alliance is a well-regarded specialist technology outsourcing firm with an impressive client base which includes major UK and international entertainment giants, as well as outsourcing companies. Practice co-head Jagvinder Kang, 'an excellent practitioner' works in tandem with fellow co-head Stephen Ollerenshaw, who specialises in IT outsourcing and software matters.
Jagvinder Kang; Stephen Ollerenshaw
‘A specialist technology outsourcing firm with top quality lawyers.’
‘Jagvinder Kang is an excellent practitioner. Highly skilled in all technical aspects of his craft, he is tenacious and will not bow to pressure when facing pressure from large corporate tactics.’
‘They grasp the facts extremely quickly and focus on the most important factors for our business, with a long term view to avoid pitfalls in future years.’
‘The firm’s strength in areas such as IP, data regulations, licencing have all been invaluable to us when negotiating with some of the world’s largest commercial sports organisations.’
‘Jagvinder Kang has managed us through the changing data landscape with great skill, intelligence, care and sensitivity to our situation.’
- Advised entertainment giant Warner Bros on its IT and technology law arrangements.
- Advised Europe’s largest cinema operator, ODEON, on its TMT law arrangements
- Advised the UK’s number one breakfast cereal company, Weetabix, on its TMT law arrangements.
- Carried out a significant number of projects for Capgemini UK Plc advising on contracts for outsourcing, IT contracts and management consulting services, along with TUPE advice relating to these projects.
- Carried out a significant number of projects for Broadridge Financial Solutions, a US-based service provider to the financial sector, advising on contracts for contracts for IT and outsourcing services.
DLA Piper UK LLP's specialist team has leading market knowledge of IT contracting issues in the financial services sector. Led by 'highly skilled, down-to-earth and results driven' practice head Gareth Stokes, the firm's clients include those from the financial, insurance and life sciences sector. Recently promoted partner Phillip Kelly worked with Stokes on a dispute arising from a global sourcing contract, while Richard Taylor has a particular sector focus in technology, life sciences and manufacturing.
Other key lawyers:
‘Leading market knowledge and experience of IT contracting issues in the financial services sector, from initial outsourcing through change/amendment to disputes and termination.’
‘Gareth Stokes is excellent. Highly skilled, down-to-earth and results driven. He works exceptionally well with both in-house lawyers and business stakeholders.’
‘The team was amazing in understanding out business very quickly and giving very professional specialized advice.’
Allied Irish Banks
Crawford & Company
- Advising Thomas International on the restructuring of its distribution and resale operations in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Advised Allied Irish Bank on the renegotiation and partial insourcing of its core infrastructure and mainframe services contracts with an information technology company.
- Advising Crawford & Company Adjusters on cybersecurity services contracts with a broad array of leading forensic cybersecurity services providers.
- Advising Magic Leap on various aspects of its European expansion and the set-up of sales and distribution arrangements.
- Advising Dechra Pharmaceuticals on its GDPR compliance programme.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's practice is headed by Charlotte Walker-Osborn, who specialises in non-contentious technology and telecoms law. The firm works for clients across a wide range of sectors, advising on cloud agreements, cybersecurity and artificial intelligence. Another name to note is partner Adam Fisher, who heads the technology and outsourcing practice.
Other key lawyers:
Ricoh Europe plc
John Lewis plc
Severn Trent plc
Toyota (GB) plc
CRH plc / Tarmac
Smiths Group plc
Honda Motor Europe (EMEA)
Honda Finance plc
ITSO Limited and ITSO Transit Hub Limited
- Assisted ITSO in agreeing a series of interconnected deals to embed its UK-wide interoperable smart-ticketing solution onto mobile, including negotiating a deal with a leading wallet provider.
- Acting for Ricoh Europe in relation to a number of its additive manufacturing (3D printing) deals from the UK and with international input – with deals for the UK, Western Europe and the US.
- Acted for the John Lewis Partnership on multiple strategic and day-to-day technology contracts for its entire business.
Pinsent Masons LLP's practice has a strong focus on the manufacturing sector, working with both international and national clients in the technology and retail fields. Andrew Hornigold co-heads the practice while also handling major M&A work for key technology clients, working alongside Birmingham commercial head Clare Francis, who acts for both private and public sector clients.
Andrew Hornigold; Clare Francis
The Financial Times
Centrica Connected Home
The Police and Crime Commissioner for Staffordshire
- Supported Focus on its software development contact with NFU Mutual driving product enhancement in the provider market.
- Advising Headlam on its IT supply chain contracts to underpin its business trading.
- Advising market disruptor, Starship Technology, on autonomous delivery robots for last mile delivery of retail and food goods.
- Advising BOSCH on a collaboration with Ceres Power for fuel cell development for use in smart city power stations, factories and electric vehicles.
- Supported Repton International Schools on the establishment of international kindergartens in Singapore and certain other countries within the Asia Pacific region under the Repton School name and brand.
Squire Patton Boggs' team 'goes the extra mile', providing advice on a range of IT matters to clients in the retail and technology sectors. The 'very engaging' and 'supportive' practice head Stuart James leads the team and has excellent experience in healthcare, retail and financial services. Another name to note is senior associate Sam Tibbetts, who has particular experience in the financial services sector.
‘Squire Patton Boogs has subject matter expertise in financial services, which they are able to combine with pragmatic advice for growing companies working with large institutions.’
‘Diligent, ethical service, considerable attention to detail, they go the extra mile.’
‘Stuart James has made a considerable contribution to our business and its growth. His commitment to our objectives has been greatly appreciated. An exceptional individual.’
‘The team has been consistently reliable and value for money.’
‘A hidden gem with a very broad experience base that brings a unique perspective to complex and seemingly intractable legal challenges.’
‘Sleeves rolled-up demeanour combined with a stop-at-nothing attitude to task completion. 4am on a Sunday? No problem…’
‘Stuart James is very engaging and supportive.’
Serco Group plc
GB Group plc
Veolia Environmental Services (UK) plc
Combined Nuclear Pension Plan Trustees
- Advised a leading department store on the rollout of its digital transformation programme.
- Advised Maplin Electronics in relation to various IT and commercial contracts relating to its online platform.
- Advised IDS Indata on the negotiation of ongoing contacts with key customers as well as providing advice on data protection/security and a wide variety of other matters.
- Advised Timken on the renegotiation of its multi-million dollar, multi-jurisdictional contract with SAP/Successfactors for the supply of a hosted HR IT solution used by Timken globally.
- Advised Combined Nuclear Pension Plan Trustees on the drafting and negotiation of outsourcing contracts for the administration of the pension schemes for the nuclear industry, including provision of key IT systems.
Browne Jacobson LLP's team advises a mix of public sector and UK technology companies. Practice head Declan Cushley heads the team, which consists of 13 lawyers. Another name to note is Richard Nicholas, who works on large-scale technology and software projects and leads numerous cases for insurance companies. Other key clients include those from the insurance and data sector.
Crown Prosecution Service
Manchester Underwriting Management
The National Trust
Itelligence Business Solutions (UK) Limited
Metro Bank plc
Copley Scientific Limited
FMD IT Limited
The Salvation Army Trustee Company
Red Box Recorders
- Advising the National Trust on a diverse range of matters including CRM systems, EPOS systems across its estate, property management software, support and maintenance over its diverse portfolio and estate and GDPR compliance.
- Advising Itelligence on its high value contracts with customers.
- Advised the London Borough of Tower Hamlets on the restructuring of its cloud and digital services across the whole of the council.
- Advising Autonet Insurance Services on a system it wished to procure as a hub onto which certain insurers’ products could be loaded, which would be accessible to the market via brokers’ own policy administration systems and ultimately sold to end users.
Freeths LLP has an experienced team that advises high-profile commercial retail clients on outsourcing and data protection matters. Mark Neale, who has more than 15 years’ experience of advising on IT and data matters, heads up the team, while also working with clients on the development of new websites and representing them in negotiations for new services arrangements. He is assisted by Nicola Cooper and Matthew Johnson.
Jaguar Land Rover Retail Board
RGIS Inventory Specialists
- Advising Travis Perkins Group in respect of the separation of its IT arrangements in advance of its proposed sale of its plumbing and heating division.
- Advising a major supermarket of its procurement of a new Wide Area Network (WAN) throughout its UK stores and offices.
- Advising a retail company on its renegotiations with a payroll and HR systems provider.
- Advised a retail company on the development of new technologies for implementation into its group websites, together with ongoing maintenance of its existing website technologies.
Irwin Mitchell provides 'sensible advice' to clients across a range of matters in the energy and technology fields. The team works on software arrangements for corporates while also acting for a number of high-profile manufacturing clients. The 'commercial, pragmatic and responsive' Sarah Riding heads the team in Birmingham, with her expertise in technology and has involvement in the manufacturing and automotive sectors. Another name to note is associate Charlotte Avery, who is 'extremely robust and capable'.
‘The team is easy to deal with, fair and transparent in relation to fees and extremely commercial in its approach. I trust the team to deal directly with my business colleagues and know they will provide sensible advice.’
‘Sarah Riding is commercial, pragmatic and responsive and a pleasure to deal with. Charlotte Avery is an extremely robust, capable and commercial lawyer for her level of qualification.’
National Grid plc
The British Chamber of Commerce
Inspired Thinking Group (ITG) Limited
Blackcat Technology Solutions Ltd
MAM Software Ltd
Key Technologies Limited
Restore Scan Ltd
ATS Euromaster (part of Michelin group)
Driven International Ltd
Eurostar Global Electronics
- Advised National Grid plc on key technology arrangements and website issues over the last 12 months as well as leading on their technology stream on their panel focuses.
- Represented Xoserve, the data provider to the UK gas industry, on a number of technology matters including a managed services agreement and application framework agreements.
- Represented The British Chambers of Commerce on key commercial and technology matters including the software arrangements relating to a Brexit related customs declaration matter
- Advised Inspired Thinking Group, a provider of game changing marketing technology, on several software licensing matters.
- Advising software provider Blackcat Technology.
The 'very responsive' team at Shakespeare Martineau LLP advises on all aspects of IT and data-related law. Key clients include universities - which the firm advise on breach of contract disputes, as well as manufacturing companies. Duncan James and Edward Wright are both 'commercial and pragmatic' in their dealings with government-related matters. Andrew Hartshorn leads the team and has strong experience of IT-related matters.
‘Very responsive and robust – the team shows a genuine interest in the business and has a commercial outlook on advice.’
‘Duncan James and Edward Wright are both very commercial and pragmatic.’
Cambridge Weight Plan
Crossword Cyber Security
Energy and Utility Skills
Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
Market Harborough Building Society
University of Nottingham
University of Warwick
- Advised the University of Nottingham on the negotiation of the contract for the implementation of their student management system.
- Advised the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra on its GDPR compliance programme.
- Advising HSO on a number of matters.
- Representing Staffordshire University in a product liability and breach of contract claim in respect of the supply of defective IT equipment.
- Provided advice to Somers Forge Limited in relation to potential proceedings for injective relief to require the supplier to deliver up access codes and passwords.
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP's team acts for numerous technology suppliers as well as domestic and regional tech companies. Lindsay Ellis leads the team and advises on a broad range of high-value and critical technology outsourcings for a number of software management companies. Other key names to note are Peter Maguire and Christine Jackson, who show 'exceptional pragmatism' in their advice to high-value projects, and give 'clear legal solutions' to any problems they encounter.
‘Peter Maguire and Christine Jackson show exceptional pragmatism in their advice – giving clear workable legal solutions to problems.’
EOS Electro Optical Systems Limited
Cloudview (UK) Limited
Associated Technology Pipeline Limited
Rooftop Housing Group Limited
Extra Technology Limited
Drive System Design Limited
Swipe Studios Interactive Limited
Third Kind Games Limited
Q Associates Limited
- Advising Cloudview (UK) on a number of commercial matters including reviewing agreements, undertaking reviews of open source software licenses and advising on a framework agreement.
- Advising Associated Technology Pipeline Limited on a subcontract agreement between ATP and Bureau Veritas India (Private) Limited.
- Advised Extra Technology Limited in connection with a new workload automation system for a retail company, including drafting, negotiating and revising the contract and detailed specifications for the services.
- Advised Q Associates Limited in connection with both private and public sector supply contracts; in particular, in the defence, emergency and higher education sectors.