DLA Piper is an international heavyweight involved in a number of large scale international projects. The team is expert in advising clients in the banking, insurance, manufacturing and life sciences sectors. Gareth Stokes leads the team and co-leads the firm’s global AI practice. Phillip Kelly is in charge of the Technology Disputes team and an expert in complex cross-border disputes with a focus on financial services. Jen Dale has worked on major outsourcing projects on both a national and international scale. As well as outsourcing, her expertise includes financial services and telecoms.
IT and telecoms in West Midlands
Other key lawyers:
Philip Kelly; Jen Dale; Dan Cowley; Michael Stead
‘Great strength and depth, vast reach across specialisms and jurisdictions.’
‘They can be trusted to relay complex information to business teams in a way that is easy to understand. The team have demonstrated a deep understanding of the underlying technology and processes utilised in modern global enterprises.’
‘Michael Stead is natural at picking up the intricacies of complex commercial matters and understands internal client politics and ways of working very easily.’
‘Gareth Stokes is a highly valued advisor who easily navigates multi-layered deals. He goes above and beyond to understand customer\’s needs and the role of in-house counsel in the context of the wider business.’
Coventry Building Society
- Advising AIB on its highly publicised Mainframe and Hybrid Cloud arrangements with IBM. The project involved AIB investing in new mainframe hardware (IBM’s latest z15 mainframe computing platform) and related services. To support the new hardware, AIB has also contracted for new services arrangements, and taken IBM’s hybrid cloud offering. This represents one of the largest high performance computing deals in Ireland. https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252510987/AIB-signs-up-to-z15-powered-transformation
- Advising REE on a variety of matters, including Government funding for its REECorner electric vehicle platform. The project involved licensing ad technology sharing agreements with the Advanced Propulsion Centre. It brings additional advanced automotive-sector technologies to the region.
- Advising Coventry Building Society on an innovative RegTec deal to implement an automated solution into its regulatory compliance team. The Suade solution replaces a highly manual process with a machine-learning driven RegTec engine. Inevitably the solution is itself a regulated outsourcing, requiring the solution to be implemented in compliance with relevant Financial Services regulations for outsourcing of critical/important functions.
Shoosmiths LLP is well regarded in the field of large scale, complex IT procurements and transformational projects as well as financial technology and the emerging fields of artificial intelligence, augmented reality and blockchain. Newly appointed technology, digital and telecoms head Joe Stephenson specialises in technology procurements and is an expert in Web3 technology matters. Craig Armstrong advises on significant technology projects for large corporations.
Other key lawyers:
Craig Armstrong; Ed Smith; Paul nightingale; Dan Greatorex
Condé Nast International
- Jointly instructed by Volkswagen Group United Kingdom and Bentley Motors to provide full legal support on their joint “Next Generation Services” tender for managed IT services across their entire IT estate – regarded as the most significant IT procurement in the UK across both organisations.
- Advised Clinique (a brand of The Estée Lauder Companies) on its influential non-fungible token (NFT) campaign – one of the most significant global digital projects for the brand in 2021 resulting in Clinique becoming the first ever Estée Lauder brand to offer NFTs. The deal attracted global media attention (e.g. https://www.voguebusiness.com/technology/cliniques-first-nft-ties-to-loyalty-and-products-as-uses-expand).
- Advised Moto, the national motorway service provider, on its multi-million pound transformational IT project to migrate from its existing ERP solution to a new cloud based solution.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs offers a wide range of IT services. In particular, they advise many clients in the automotive sector on matters like the development and roll out of clean air zones, electric vehicles and the development of autonomous vehicles. The team also advises on multinational IT project implementations which allows transaction on global SaaS contracts and multi-jurisdictional fraud screening platforms. Stuart James has particular expertise in the procurement of IT for the healthcare, retail, pensions and utilities sectors and advises regularly on mobile site development. Simon Jones has considerable experience in relation to IT outsourcing projects and Sam Tibbetts specialises in IT contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Simon Jones; Sam Tibbetts; Sam O’Neill; Richard Armitage
‘Excellent knowledge of the business and the regulatory framework we operate in.’
‘Able to call upon a wealth of experience to support the in house legal team on its contractual negotiations.’
‘Stuart James has proven himself to be deeply knowledgeable – not just from a legal perspective where he is excellent, but also in his understanding of technology’
Transport for Greater Manchester
Kings Security Systems
Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders & various global car manufacturers such as Project 3 Mobility, Ineos Automotive, BMW Group, Stellantis, Ferrari and Maserati
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
Arrow Global Group
Project 3 Mobility
Action Artificial Intelligence Limited
- Advising TfGM (and indirectly Greater Manchester Combined Authority and the 10 GM local authorities) on the proposed Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan.
- Advising Kings Security Systems on the negotiation of a contract to deliver a software as a service security application to a leading European retailer, which will be accessed from over 12,000 stores spread across over 30 countries.
- Advised Grafton Group plc on the IT and intellectual property aspects of its acquisition of StairBox, an industry leading manufacturer and distributor of staircases.
Browne Jacobson LLP
Bolstered by a large national team, Browne Jacobson LLP have a long track record of working on critical, large-scale IT transactions as part of their expertise in digital transformation. The technology team has a strong practice in both the private and public sectors, working on fintech projects, disruptive technologies and outsourcing transactions for start-ups. Team leader Richard Nicholas focuses on technology and outsourcing deals, cloud computing and digital law.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Team is commercial and pragmatic’
‘Richard Nicholas is a very strong commercial and pragmatic lawyer with excellent data privacy expertise’
Euro Car Parts
Cloud Technology Solutions
Greenwood Academies Trust
Peterborough City Council
The National Trust
The Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Authority
Kings College London
- Advising on contracts with universities, companies retailers and public sector bodies.
- Advised the trust on a number of large scale outsourcing projects involving multiple bidders and the completion of various changes over the course of the year. This is a digital transformation project that is core to the growth of the Trust’s business
- Advised the Medicines Healthcare Regulatory Agency on its contract for new IT services including the procurement, employment and IT aspects of a business critical IT outsourcing.
Codified Legal is a specialist on major IT projects and outsourcing contracts across many different sectors. The team is led by the ‘sensible, pragmatic and experienced’ Stephen Ollerenshaw who has specific expertise in offshore and pan-European outsourcing projects. He is supported by specialist corporate lawyer Barry Doherty and consultants Manoj Paul and Conan Chitham .
Other key lawyers:
Barry Doherty; Manoj Paul; Conan Chitham
‘The partners (and owners) of this unique firm are true experts in their field. They are passionate and knowledgeable about IT law and are in a class of their own.’
‘Stephen Ollerenshaw is a superb lawyer, who is tenacious and a true expert, yet approachable and easy to work with.’
- Advised Broadridge, a global Fintech leader, on contracts for software and outsourced services with major banks and other financial institutions based in the UK and throughout the world.
- Advised EPAM Systems Inc., a NYSE-listed IT development company, on a multi-million pound contract for the provision of software development and consultancy services to a major European bank.
- Advised Sitenna, a Silicon Valley backed cloud software provider, on UK subscription terms for its platform and on privacy matters.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP covers a wide spectrum of of matters for clients, including outsourcing projects, cyber security and emerging technologies like artificial intelligence. Charlotte Walker-Osborn heads firm’s global artificial intelligence practice and specialises in outsourcing, product counselling and telecoms. Gayle McFarlane focuses on the intersection between technology and data as well as commercial issues and regulation.
Other key lawyers:
Nick Blane; Gayle McFarlane; Joanne Finch
‘A strong focused team that understands the challenges of the authorities positions as well as the larger picture of strategic outcomes’
‘Nick Blane is exceptional and able to pin down the finer points of the issue and provide speedy advice.’
‘Charlotte Walker-Osborn, is an astute lawyer and is dependable. She has an in-depth knowledge of fine legal nuances and keen sense of commercial implications.’
URBN (Urban Outfitters)
Driving Standards Agency
Insig AI plc
- Advising National Highways in connection with the relet of the Department for Transport’s Free Flow Charging contract which relates to automated electronic road user charging at the Dartford Crossing on the M25.
- Acting for Zen Internet in negotiating its deal with CityFibre for full fibre and dak fibre
- Advised the DVSA on the high-profile and extremely complex outsourcing of the theory test element of the GB driving test.
The team at Freeths LLP has a broad practice that includes major outsourcing projects and issues relating to cloud computing. This is bolstered by a specific expertise in GDPR work Mark Neale is very experienced in traditional and emerging technology projects on both a national and international scale. Associate Shireen Eliyas has a wealth of experience drafting and negotiating complex contracts relating to local government and public procurement law.
Other key lawyers:
Ella Davis; Shireen Eliyas
ALDI Stores Limited
Travis Perkins PLC
- Advising Aldi in relation to the contracts for the automated fitting out of its largest ever distribution centre, at Bardon in Leicestershire.
- Supporting Travis Perkins with the legal separation of its IT arrangements ahead of: (i) its demerger of subsidiary Wickes; and (ii) the sale of its plumbing and heating business to HIG.
- Supporting PVH in negotiating contracts with Heathrow Airport and various suppliers of hardware, software and operational support (including replenishment and maintenance) in setting up a new retail vending concept for Calvin Klein underwear and apparel
With a specialty in non-contentious IT work, Gowling WLG handles an array of work including data protection, freedom of information, cloud computing and e-commerce. Jocelyn Paulley has acted on major outsourcing projects and co-chairs the firm's data centre practice. David Brennan acts for tech start ups at the beginning of their life cycle and focuses primarily on mergers and acquisitions.
Other key lawyers:
Patrick Arben; David Brennan; Helen Davenport; Alexandra Brodie; Matt Hervey
Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited
Virtus Data Centres
Pret a Manger (Europe) Limited
LCH (London Clearing House) Limited
Mazda Motors UK Limited
National Farmers Union Mutual Society Limited
The Birmingham Organising Committee for the 2022 Commonwealth Games
Finning (UK) Limited
The Hut Group plc
Lloyd’s Register Group Services Limited
Williams Advanced Engineering Limited
Faculty Science Limited
- Advising Pret a Manger on its first generation outsourcing of core IT business functions as part of its digital transformation strategy.
- Advising LCH Limited (London Clearing House) on creating a standard document suite on which it could license its existing and planned, expanded data sets and which are sufficiently flexible to adapt with the data business as it develops.
- Advising THG (The Hut Group) on a long-term licensing arrangement with Civo to provide Kubernetes technology to THG, and its resellers and THG Ingenuity clients, a transaction which was accompanied by a minor-equity investment into Civo
Mills & Reeve LLP
The IT team at Mills & Reeve LLP is led by ‘true expert in the field‘ Jagvinder Singh Kang, a specialist in GDPR and data protection. He handles a number of high value contentious matters for major clients including Macmillan Cancer Support and the NHS. The team provides advice on a number of transactional technology matters, such as global crypto-exchange arrangements and complex biometric related matters with facial recognition systems.
Jagvinder Singh Kang
‘Excellent knowledge of the legal and commercial issues experienced by companies when facing complex IT contract structures and negotiations. The team is happy to guide clients on what to expect from negotiations and fight hard for positions which are high risk having thought carefully about the nature of the client’s business.’
‘Jagvinder Singh-Kang stands out as a true expert in his field. He is very easy to deal with and puts in lots of effort to understand a client’s business which then is reflected in the approach he takes to give the most relevant advice to the client and negotiate the most appropriate contracts with counterparties. He is my “go to” IT lawyer for the most important (or unusual) IT transactions.’
Macmillan Cancer Support
Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
Wesleyan Assurance Society
- Advised MySense on its technology SaaS offering in the field of wellbeing data analytics using its proprietary AI platform and IoT technology. MySense is recognised as one of just six international vendors featured in the Gartner Hype Cycle for Realtime Health Systems, 2021.
- Advised the multi-billion pound financial and insurance organisation, Wesleyan Assurance Society, on procurement of its technology arrangements.
- Advised a private equity backed blockchain crypto-exchange and currency provider on its global IT and data protection arrangements, including UK GDPR and data protection law requirements, taking into account the multiplicity of transactional and dependency requirements of both the crypto-exchange and the crypto-currency using blockchain technology.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP utilises its nationwide resources to advise prominent clients on acquisitions, alliance agreements and asset management. Andrew Hornigold has a particular focus on advising technology clients about corporate transactions. Commercial practice head Clare Francis works with both private and public sector clients with transformational projects and commercial transactions. Senior Associate Ben Gardner advises on large outsourcings, joint ventures and supply chain work.
Other key lawyers:
Cerys Wyn Davies; Ben Gardner
‘They offer pragmatic advice and take the time to understand our business, including its risk appetite, so the best advice can be offered.’
‘Cerys Wyn Davies is excellent in her knowledge, has a high profile in her sector, responsive, exceptionally easy to work with and represents good value for money. I would recommend Cerys to any potential client.’
Dubai Road Transport Authority
Envitia Group plc
E.ON UK plc
Focus Business Solutions
USB Asset Management
- Advised Fortescue Metals Group Ltd on the £164 million acquisition of Williams Advanced Engineering Limited from private equity firm EMK Capital and Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited. This is a key strategic acquisition which will enable Fortescue to accelerate the decarbonisation of its mining operations through critical technology and expertise in high performance battery systems
- Advised the Dubai RTA with a long term strategic alliance agreement for the development and deployment of an autonomous robo-taxi service in Dubai. The provider is Cruise (the autonomous vehicles division of General Motors), and the service will enable members of the public to order driverless vehicles to collect and transport them to locations around Dubai
- Advised UBS Asset Management on the acquisition of Datum Datacentres, a datacentre operator at a fully-contracted brownfield facility. Datum demonstrates strong ESG credentials – market-leading power usage effectiveness (PUE), and 100% use of renewable energy and carbon offsetting.
Wright Hassall LLP
With a strong focus on technology, the team at Wright Hassall LLP has a broad offering that includes outsourcing and employment litigation. Lindsay Ellis advises on a number of critical technology procurement matters and outsourcings, while Pete Maguire specialises in the drafting and negotiation of project based outsourcing and commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Lindsay Ellis; laura Steel; Patrick McCallum
‘Lindsay and his team are a real talent. very pragmatic and responsive and a pleasure to work with.’
Computer Systems International Limited
- Advised CSI on a number of matters in 2021 under a service retainer including their appointment as a reseller of advanced security software products; changes to the IR35 rules; framework master service agreements; the novation of a services agreement; GDPR and data protection matters; and NDAs and other general commercial ad hoc queries for BAU work.