Intellectual property in West Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP handles both contentious and non-contentious IP matters across many sectors for prominent clients, both international and domestic. Patent litigation expert Mark Daniels leads the strong team which comprises Cerryg Jones, Giles Parsons and the 'top class' Bonita Trimmer. Highlights include acting on multijurisdictional IP proceedings, and representing high-profile clients in copyright infringement disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is right up there with the best, handling top briefs.’
‘Declan Cushley is a first class litigator.’
‘Mark Daniels is a good litigator with sound judgement who is not afraid to get into the detail.’
‘Bonita Trimmer has excellent legal knowledge, and produces top class written work.’
‘Associate Giles Parsons is very good at dealing with difficult opponents without losing his cool.’
Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club
London Electric Vehicle Company
KLK Forte Industry Inc (t/a Honey Punch)
GKN Aerospace Services Ltd
Borough of Telford & Wrekin
Croydon County Council
- Acted for Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club in its defence of copyright infringement proceedings.
- Represented London Electric Vehicle Company in relation to a trade mark dispute involving the famous shape of black taxis.
- Acted for US-based gaming company Gamelink in a trademark infringement case involving a market competitor.
- Handling GKN Aerospace Services Ltd’s entire IP contracts legal function.
- Advising Supra UK Limited on the licensing of its technology to a major US corporate for manufacturing.
Gowling WLG has in-depth experience across a number of sectors, hanlding high-profile complex cases for major clients, with a particular focus on the life sciences and pharmaceuticals sectors. Gordon Harris heads the practice, works across London and Birmingham, in tandem with Birmingham-based UK life sciences head Patrick Duxbury. Kate Swaine leads the UK trademarks, brands and designs team, while Luke Kempton is well known for his scientific expertise in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals.
‘Gordon Harris is a very seasoned and competent patent lawyer, who is also a real team player.’
‘John Coldham gives clear and concise advice with a no-nonsense approach. Highly recommended.’
TQ Delta, LLC
Alpha Animation & Toys Limited
Hexatronic Group AB
- Acted for GSK on the UK arm of an international dispute concerning technology involving a declaration of non-infringement and invalidity along with an Arrow declaration.
- Acted for TQ Delta in relation to its claim for patent infringement and a FRAND declaration/determination in the Patents Court in relation to two of its patents.
- Acted for Alpha Animation & Toys Limited in relation to an allegation of infringement of the Spin Master EP patent.
- Acting for Hexatronic, a global leader in fibre optic cable technology, in relation to a patent dispute.
- Representing Takeda in a licensing dispute in which the company sought repayment of past royalties it had wrongly paid under a mistaken belief that the patents licenced were infringed.
DLA Piper UK LLP handles contentious and non-contentious trade mark, patent and other IP work for prominent clients across a variety of sectors including food and beverage and aerospace. The team, led by Richard Taylor, has a 'broad spectrum of expertise', with Gareth Stokes offering expertise in IP-driven contracts and senior associate Satnam Sahota attracting praise for 'fantastic insight and support'.
Richard Taylor; Gareth Stokes
Other key lawyers:
‘Satnam Sahota is approachable and really engaging. He always provides fantastic insight and support. Hugely impressed.’
‘DLA Piper has a broad spectrum of expertise.’
‘The individuals are very customer focused, accessible and engaging.’
Spin Master (Bakugan)
Domestic & General
UK Research & Innovation
- Advising Heineken on its UK trademark portfolio.
- Represented Spin Master in its patent infringement litigation claims.
- Advised Lufthansa on English law aspects of a major joint venture with Rolls-Royce.
- Acted for Domestic & General on trademark infringement, passing off and fraud litigation.
- Advised National Grid on IP aspects of a technology procurement.
Freeths LLP's growing IP team provides 'commercial and pragmatic' advice covering patents, trademarks and copyright infringement. Led by 'true subject matter expert' Simon Barker, the practice focuses primarily on soft IP matters. The team is particularly active in the retail sector and clients include a well-known global cosmetics brand and other high-profile international and high-street names.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very pragmatic and sensible. Excellent technical skills.’
‘Simon Barker provides a high quality service.’
‘Commercial and pragmatic.’
‘Simon Barker is a trusted adviser who is a true subject matter expert.’
Aldi Stores Limited
Bridges Business Space No2 LLP
Birlea Furniture Ltd
Creative Products Ltd
Travis Perkins plc
Eurocell Group plc
- Acted in relation to a trade mark infringement of the EU word mark BIRLEA by a third party on a major international retailers’ website.
- Acted for Creative Products Limited in defence of an alleged design registration infringement brought by an international company.
- Advising in relation to pre-action correspondence intimating patent infringement, and requesting pre-action disclosure for an aerospace client.
- Managing and maintaining a substantial trade mark portfolio for a leading international bookmaker.
- Advised on and drafted the necessary assignment documents in relation to a reorganisation of major cosmetic company’s trade marks in over 50 territories around the world.
HGF Law's team of specialists is particularly active in the retail, manufacturing, engineering and consumer goods industries. Marie McMorrow stands out as an 'exceptional lawyer' and leads the team. The 'well organised and committed' practice has expertise in complex patent and trademark litigation, including a focus on the nuances associated with mechanical and physical technologies.
‘HGF has a depth of knowledge and experience coupled with the ability to communicate with technical as well as non-technical people within the processes.’
‘A very good and broad understanding of the issues with mechanical and physical technologies, with a large understanding of the nuances associated with these patents.’
‘The team is led by one of the most capable IP litigation lawyers in the West Midlands – well organised, energetic, very committed and experienced.’
‘Marie McMorrow stands out as an exceptional lawyer.’
D.O.R.C. International BV (Dutch Ophthalmic Research Centre)
Husky Injection Molding (Systems) Ltd
Oxford Safety Components Limited
Hunting Energy Services Limited
Airpress Developments Limited
Maher Engineering Limited
Sylmar Technology Limited
Rise Festival Limited
Kestrel Solutions Limited
Red Sensors Limited
All In One Medical Limited
Tesla (UK) Limited
Spirit Aerospace Inc
Notaro, Michalos & Zaccaria P.C. (New York IP Firm)
E.Mishan & Sons t/a Emson (New York Global Media Marketing Company)
AGA Rangemaster Group
Holland and Barrett Retail Limited
Hadley Industries plc
James Halstead plc
Amtico International Limited
Hunter Boot Limited
Premier Components Limited
Strip Tinning Limited
Veolia Water Services
Global Vintners Inc
Trexiana Wholesale and Distribution Inc
Karndean International Limited
EC Medica Limited
Alan Nuttall Limited
Deta Electrical Company Limited
Full Support Healthcare Limited
GVA Grimley Limited
Injection Alloys Limited
Ridout & Maybee LLP
Vivid Arts Limited
- Providing strategic branding and patents advice to Aga Rangemaster Limited/AGA Rangemaster Group Limited as well as enforcement of the prestigious brand.
- Acting as sole IP advisers for Holland and Barrett International Limited both national and internationally.
- Pursuing patent infringement proceedings in respect of the revolutionary XHose for E.Mishan (a New York based global operator of ‘As Seen On TV’ consumer goods) against UK market leader hose producer, Hozelock Limited.
- Advising Spirit AeroSystems on multi-party, complex R&D and new generation technology collaborations with Airbus Industries.
Pinsent Masons LLP has a strong presence in the retail, manufacturing and education sectors, supporting an impressive roster of clients - including a number of high-profile engineering and manufacturing companies - on cross-border transactions and litigation. The team is led by the 'outstanding' and 'exceptionally committed' Cerys Wyn Davies, while director Jo Alderson is highly regarded for her technical excellence in M&A and private equity transactions. Legal director Tom Nener joined from HGF Law in June 2019.
Cerys Wyn Davies
‘Cerys Wyn Davies is the most outstanding person I have ever worked with on the legal side.’
‘Cerys Wyn Davies is exceptionally committed and a driving force under pressure. She combines deep IP knowledge with right on target hands-on support.’
The Robert Bosch Group
Safestyle plc HPAS
Limited (trading as
The London School of Economics
The Financial Times Group
Smith & Nephew PLC
- Advised Bosch on and negotiated a key strategic collaboration with and investment in a fuel cell technology and engineering company.
- Advising ZyXel on a two-patent litigation concerning technology used in wifi routers and networking equipment.
- Acting for Safestyle in bringing a complex action involving passing off, trade mark infringement, misuse of confidential information, unlawful means conspiracy and malicious falsehood.
- Acting for AB Inbev in relation to their acquisition of an online alcohol retailer with a particular focus on whisky.
- Acting for Magnesium Elektron in a multi jurisdictional patent dispute relating to an improved process for making zirconium-cerium mixed oxide doped with rare earths, used in catalytic converters in vehicles.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP has broad experience in contentious IP litigation and acts for a number of high-profile clients across a range of sectors including manufacturing, telecoms and retail. Nicholas Briggs, who leads the team, focuses on contentious patent litigation and has particular expertise in exploiting and enforcing patents. Mauro Paiano has significant experience in complex cross-border matters and advises on domain name disputes. Key clients include notable companies in the engineering and retail sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Whitworth Bros Limited
Marflow Engineering Limited
Branded Garden Products Limited and BVG Limited
Fit Kitchen Limited
- Representing Marflow in a patent infringement claim in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, through which Marflow is seeking to enforce its patent against a competitor.
- Representing Mzuri Limited in a complex patent infringement claim involving intervention in an existing opposition at the EPO.
- Representing Austrian gaming technology company Novomatic AG in respect of the protection of a number of its brands in the UK.
- Representing BVG Group in defending an interim injunction and related proceedings for trademark infringement and passing off, plus subsequent counterclaim.
- Advising Poundland in connection with a complaint brought against it based on an alleged infringement of community unregistered design right in connection with baby rattles.
Mills & Reeve LLP
Mills & Reeve LLP's IP team has a strong focus on the automotive, technology, food and agribusiness sectors. The practice, led nationally by IP litigator Claire O’Brien, regularly advises on high-profile trade mark disputes for a number of manufacturing and education clients.
Claire O’Brien; Mark Pearce
K&S Partners on behalf of The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA)
Joint Council for Qualifications
Fionan McCaul- Intervenor in the Warner Lambert v Generics case (Supreme Court)
Fox International Limited/Spomb Fishing Limited
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
Tekmar Energy Limited
The University of Nottingham
Nottingham Trent University
Birmingham City University
- Acted on an application to register BASMATI BUS as a UK trade mark for restaurant services based on extended form passing off.
- Acted for the Joint Council for Qualifications in a case concerning the sale of counterfeit examination certificates bearing the trade marks of the claimants.
- Acted for the proprietor of two pharmacy businesses, in relation to his intervention in the Supreme Court hearings in Warner-Lambert v Generics.
- Acted for Fox International Group Limited in patent infringement proceeding related to the sole product of the client which is the industry leading product in its class.
- Instructed by The Institution of Engineering and Technology on various copyright infringement matters relating to the unauthorised copies of publications in which IET owns copyright.
The 'thorough and extremely capable' team at Shoosmiths LLP has particular expertise in the technology, life sciences and education sectors. Led by the 'level-headed' and 'well-rounded' Andrew Brennan, who specialises in handling complex contentious issues, often with an international element, the firm has a strong client base of universities, consumer goods providers and technology powerhouses. Legal director Lisa Page, who has a background in the pharmaceutical industry, leads the pharma and life sciences practice. The practice was boosted by the hire of Victoria Bentley from Pinsent Masons in early 2019. Legal director Nichola Jenkins has 'impressive knowledge', while associate Imogen Francis is 'very quick to understand complex situations'.
‘The team is smart, thoughtful, thorough, eager to help, accessible, responsive, and extremely capable.’
‘The firm is efficient and helpful.’
‘Andy Brennan is very good in contentious situations and provides useful well-rounded advice – the kind of level-headed approach every legal team needs in litigation.’
‘Nichola Jenkins has an impressive encyclopaedic contractual and data protection knowledge.’
‘The team is very quick to understand complex issues and provide tailored advice. The associates have a keen eye for detail in picking apart opposition arguments and dissecting contracts and commercial agreements.’
‘Andrew Brennan is extremely personable and we have no hesitation about recommending him to clients.’
‘Imogen Francis is quick to understand complex business structures and trading arrangements, and provides great advice anticipating future developments and changing client needs.’
‘Imogen Francis is very knowledgeable and hands-on, and is always up to speed very quickly on fast-moving commercial situations.’
DataLase (a SATO group company)
Integral Power Train
University of Nottingham
Manchester Metropolitan University
KEF London Ltd
Volkswagen Group UK
Transport Systems Catapult
MidTECH Innovations (NHS Innovations West Midlands)
- Advised DynaEnergetics in High Court patent infringement and revocation proceedings in the UK relating to a patent owned by a competitor.
- Advising Datalase on a variety of IP agreements.
- Advised Lundbeck on a wide range of IP matters.
- Advising the University of Nottingham in relation to the drafting, negotiating and finalising its R&D contracts.
- Assisted Manchester Metropolitan University with research and knowledge exchange contracts.
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP has a primary focus on the manufacturing and technology sectors, as well as a strong client base in the media and entertainment industry, handling litigation involving international publishing houses, digital creatives and gaming companies. Rhys Jarman, who leads the team, has resolved a large number of IP disputes in relation to research and development projects.
‘The team explain complex areas of the law clearly and provide sound commercial advice, always outlining costs and risk as they lead you through the discussions. Their knowledge of changing areas of the law has been extremely helpful.’
‘A delight to work with. The firm has a relaxed but highly professional attitude.’
Rhys Jarman and associate Luke Moulton have provided us with such clear advice. They are a pleasure to deal with and really care deeply about what they do on our behalf.’
‘Iain Colville is excellent. He is hardworking and efficient and his knowledge of his cases is outstanding. Even in the biggest case, he has a grip of the detail but uses that knowledge practically and sensibly.’
Baxi Heating UK Limited
Cad Cam Automotive Limited
SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Limited
Dar Lighting Limited
Not Now Music Limited
Tumble Tots (UK) Limited
Al-Ko Kober Limited
Arden University Limited
- Acted for a provider of patented media technology in a dispute over the ownership and licensing rights to exploit a patented media technology around the world.
- Advising an international publishing house on a dispute with a major competitor concerning breach of confidence, copyright infringement and database right infringement in the context of an ex-employee who provided a sales and marketing database to a major competitor.
- Advised a major provider of enterprise resource planning software on a dispute over the unlicensed use of legacy software by one of our client’s customer and resulting copyright infringement.
- Advised a manufacture of garden ornaments in respect of a number of different claims of copyright and/or design right infringement arising from the copying of a number of key products by competitors.
- Advising a digital font foundry on a number of claims for copyright infringement, where various other parties who have made use of theclient’s font families in their promotional materials and branding, without first obtaining an appropriate licence from the client.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP handles a variety of contentious and non-contentious matters across all aspects of IP, and much of the team's work is international or cross-border given the firm's increasing global footprint. Department head Rupert Bent, who joined in early 2018 from Walker Morris LLP, where he also led the IP practice, has substantive experience of high-profile litigation, with clients including a number of media and entertainment giants.
National Grid PLC
University of Derby
Genting Casinos UK Limited
Halewood International Limited
Manchester International Festival
- Significant contractual work relating to the research and development activities of National Grid.
- Advised the University of Derby on a broad range of IP matters and transactions, both on a standalone basis and in the context of broader commercial work.
- Providing IP advice to Tombola Limited in relation to a variety of transactional and branding matters, currently assisting in a domain name complaint.
- Advising Halewood International Limited on a number of IP disputes including a passing-off allegation with a major multimedia company.
- Provide IP advice to Manchester International Festival in relation to a variety of matters and issues relating to copyright.
VWV has a particular focus on the education and charities sectors, representing a number of universities and private schools. Practice head Frances Anderson has expertise in advising charities and not-for-profits in various IP matters, while the team's other work includes handling complex research and development agreements for higher education institutions and technology contracts for notable manufacturing companies.
Birmingham Repertory Theatre
Birmingham Royal Ballet
University of Bristol
The British Library
Buckinghamshire New University
Wallace & Gromit’s Children’s Foundation (aka The Grand Appeal)
- Advising a London University institution which offers medical training and research on the spin-out of infectious diseases research and testing services.
- Providing continued advice to a national library institution with regard to its digitisation strategy and third party collaborations.
- Advising a luxury watch manufacturer and retailer on intellectual property issues relating to UK advertising campaigns.
- Advising a premium independent school on its licensing arrangements with an overseas investor to establish a number of international branded schools in China.
- Representing a specialist London-based sports television producer and distribution company with regard to a dispute over the distribution of a film of an event involving a high profile sports personality.