Capsticks LLP' maintains its position as one of the pre-eminent healthcare practices in the region, providing 'a very transparent and reliable service' across clinical law, employment issues, corporate healthcare work and real estate mandates. The 'exceptional' Tracey Lucas leads the advisory and inquest team and specialises in medical treatment decisions, Court of Protection applications and the care of adults and children under NHS continuing healthcare funding. Henry Matveieff focuses on healthcare property issues, while newly promoted partner Tracy Giles advises NHS and private sector clients on EU public procurement work and commercial and contractual matters. London-based Andrew Rowland leads the national NHS healthcare practice.
Health in West Midlands
‘Capsticks provide us with a very transparent and reliable service to support our clinical negligence and other healthcare related legal support. The unique experience of the overseeing partner, as both healthcare nurse and very experienced lawyer, makes this a really unique service.’
‘The team in Birmingham are instructed in some of the most complex and challenging medical cases in the Court of Protection. They deal with cases which have a public interest and many involve children.’
‘The team in Birmingham is led by Tracey Lucas (partner) who is exceptional. She is extremely user friendly and provides clarity of thought and clear leadership and direction in what is an extremely complex area of law.’
Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
- Advised Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust on the £320m design and build contract to complete the Midland Metropolitan Hospital, and a major multi-million FM framework arrangement to provide FM works and services to the trust estate.
- Represented Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in respect of a complex multi-day whistleblowing claim which was subsequently withdrawn by the claimant.
- Represented an acute NHS trust in an inquest where Article 2 was engaged as the individual was detained under the Mental Health Act and a jury was required due to potential failures by the healthcare professionals.
Mills & Reeve LLP has 'an unrivalled and top-class reputation' in healthcare, acting for a mix of NHS Trusts, private healthcare providers, commissioners and investors. Jill Mason heads up the national health practice and focuses on advising public and private commissioners and regulators on mental health and capacity issues. Rhian Vandrill advises on commercial relationships between the NHS and independent providers, while public law expert Dawn Brathwaite leads on judicial review challenges, and Jog Hundle leads the health and care employment team.
‘An effective team.’
‘Jill Mason knows far more about healthcare law than most in the business and so can find novel ways to guide clients through tricky conundrums.’
Department of Health and Social Care
Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Advised consortium lead, Imperial College Health Partners, on the development of Discover-NOW, a unique partnership alongside leading technology companies, charities and CCG. Recent work included advising on the agreements and terms of references setting out the parties’ roles and contributions and the governance arrangements.
- Advising the East Midlands Adult Secure Provider Collaborative, made up of nine NHS and independent sector mental health providers, on its partnership agreement and other related matters.
- Represented NHS Cannock Chase Clinical Commissioning Group in an inquest into the death of child who died at Stafford Hospital.
Browne Jacobson LLP is singled out for its work advising NHS bodies on strategic and corporate mergers and reconfigurations; the group also has a strong client roster of private healthcare providers. The practice also undertakes NHS governance work, clinical negligence claims, social care issues, inquests and employment mandates. Employment partner Jacqui Atkinson leads the practice alongside Neil Ward, who chairs the national inquest practice. In the commercial health space, Clare Auty and Jonathan Hayden support CCG and NHS providers on healthcare contracting projects and social care transactions. Sarah White specialises in defending substantial clinical negligence actions.
South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust
George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
Derbyshire Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust
North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare NHS Trust
- Represented George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust in a complex inquest into the death of a patient.
- Representing an NHS Trust facing an investigation by the Care Quality Commission for providing suspected unsafe care and treatment leading to avoidable harm, in the context of an incident where a patient fell and sustained fatal injuries.
- Advising The Doctors Laboratory Limited on its negotiation of a ten-year pathology services and facilities services agreement with a major NHS London hospital.
At Gowling WLG, Robert Breedon heads up the national healthcare practice and has extensive knowledge of commercial public and private partnerships, collaboration arrangements for health and social care commissioners and developing delivery models for healthcare providers. Andrew Litchfield is recommended for regulatory investigations and inquiries.
Other key lawyers:
Pinsent Masons LLP
Joanne Ellis leads the cross-practice team at Pinsent Masons LLP, which has carved out a niche in dental M&A and refinancing mandates. The team also has an 'outstanding breadth of knowledge' in commercial health work across regional and global projects as well as real estate issues, social care matters and regulatory work. Transactional expert David Doogan and real estate specialist Tom Eastwood are also key figures and act for banks, operators, investors and developers on credit facilities and hospital and care home developments. Associate David Meisel is recommended for corporate transactions in the dental sector.
The Good Care Group London Limited
Medical Properties Trust
Xeon Smiles UK Limited (Bupa Dental Care)
Lonestar Real Estate Fund
Dental Partners Trading Limited
- Advised The Good Care Group, on the multimillion pound disposal of the group to Sodexo Holdings.
- Advised private clients on the sale of their dental business, The Houston Group of dental practices to Alliance Dental Care Limited.
- Advised Xeon Smiles UK on the acquisition of the Total Dentalcare Partnership and the entire issued share capital of MDANZ Holdings Limited, MZINC Limited and Future Drilling Limited, from the founder operators.
At Weightmans LLP, Tony Yeaman heads up the NHS Resolution clinical negligence team and represents the NHS in high-profile claims and inquiries, with a focus on complex issues including treatment decisions and risk management matters. Deborah Bannister, Melanie Isherwood and Jasmine Armstrong are also notable clinical negligence litigators. Michael Clifford advises owners, operators and investors on corporate acquisitions and joint ventures in the healthcare sector.
‘A client-focused approach. Tony Yeaman heads the team and is regularly actively seeking feedback and taking that on board.’
‘Tony Yeaman – very client centred and actively seeks feedback to incorporate into future practice. Jasmine Armstrong – sensible and approachable.’
National Health Service Resolution
Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospital of North Midlands NHS Trust
Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust
Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS foundation Trust
Derbyshire Healthcare NHS FT
West Midlands Ambulance Service
Weight to Go Ltd
The Royal British Legion
Belper Views Residential Home
Ernehale Lodge Care Home
The Beeches (Justcare Homes Ltd)
Alder Hey Children’s Hospital NHSFT
- Advised on the disposal of Nuffield Health’s entire UK occupational health business to Duradiamond, a specialist provider of OH services to the private health market and entry by Nuffield Health and Duradiamond into a strategic collaboration agreement.
- Advising The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust in partnership with the midwifery and obstetric governance team to deliver a training programme to increase safety and learning arising from the Early Notification Scheme (ENS) investigations into the circumstances surrounding babies being born in a poor condition.
- Advised Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust on complex issues of law concerning teenagers with capacity who refuse treatment, and the trust’s act of administering blood transfusion without consent.