Health in West Midlands
Capsticks LLP is praised for providing 'clear, pragmatic and proactive advice' on a range of matters spanning clinical law, employment, real estate, and increasingly litigation and corporate and commercial law. Practice head Tracey Lucas focuses on handling medical treatment decisions and Court of Protection cases. Henry Matveieff, who was promoted to the partnership in May 2018, has a focus on real estate work.
Other key lawyers:
‘The overall level of service received is excellent. The advice provided is business focused, concise, delivered in a timely manner with different strategies and risks clearly thought through‘
‘Capsticks’ strength is giving clear, pragmatic and proactive advice on sometimes the most difficult matters‘
‘Very timely responses to legal requests even out of hours. Provide a very friendly, professional service. Credible and provide excellent legislative information. Very supportive for staff and able to allay anxieties in advance of inquests‘
‘David True is a deep thinker, diligent and first class at playing the long game and is well connected with associated chambers‘
‘Nadine Mansell is a hard-working associate‘
Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
Birmingham Women’s and Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Trust
Black Country Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
Kettering General Hospital NHS FoundationTrust
Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
Department of Health
Community Health Partnerships
NHS Property Services
Milton Keynes University
Hospital NHS Trust
Arden and GEM CSU
- Advising South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust in relation to itsacquisition of Staffordshire and Stoke of Trent Partnership Trust to create a new NHS Trust (MidlandsPartnership NHS Foundation Trust).
- Acting for Genesis Care on the development of seven new radiotherapy cancer treatment centres in the UK
- Representing Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in proceedings relating to a senior medical professional involved in potential criminal actions.
- Acted for Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust with its successful contract tender to provide early years health and well-being services in Birmingham.
- Represented a clinical commissioning group in a Court of Protection case regarding the placement of a severely disabled woman, who suffered a cardiac arrest and hypoxic brain injury resulting in significant physical and cognitive impairments.
Mills & Reeve LLP's diverse client roster includes NHS hospitals, commissioners, trade unions and independent providers. Key strengths of the practice lie in employment, commercial and contentious matters. Jill Mason, who leads the team, has broad expertise, while employment expert Jog Hundle handles mergers, race and disability discrimination claims, union claims and unfair dismissal cases, while 'very strong lawyer' Rhian Vandrill leads the commercial health practice.
‘Mills & Reeve is a good and sensible firm that I’ve always admired‘
‘Rhian Vandrill gives very pragmatic advice and has very good client handling skills – overall a very strong lawyer‘
University Hospital of Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
Firs House Medical Partnership
NHS Cannock Chase Clinical Commissioning Group
- Represented a teaching hospital group in a five-week hearing based on a claim of race and disability discrimination against the trust’s senior management.
- Advising NHS England on the revision of the National Framework for NHS funded Continuing Healthcare and Funded nursing care.
- Advised the NHS Cannock Chase Clinical Commissioning Group on an application made at the request of the family for a fresh inquest into the death of a child at Staffordshire Hospital.
- Supported Heart of England Foundation Trust on its merger with the University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust.
- Advised Dudley Clinical Commissioning Group on a 10-year, £4bn contract to appoint a provider to join GP, community and other care services in the area.
Browne Jacobson LLP acts for NHS trusts, hospitals and clinical commissioning groups on Court of Protection cases, inquests, real estate transactions, mergers, unfair dismissal and whistleblowing claims. Sarah White has strong expertise in defending clinical negligence actions; Neil Ward focuses on inquest work and Helen Badger leads on contentious employment health matters.
Simon Tait (Nottingham)
South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust
George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
Derbyshire Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust
North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare NHS Trust
Birmingham and Solihull CCG
Southend University NHS Foundation Trust
Lincolnshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust
Sandwell and West Birmingham CCG
University of North Midlands NHS Trust
Leicester City CCG
University Hospital of Derby and Burton
- Represented The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust in relation to urgent serious medical treatment proceedings in which an individual lacked the capacity to make decisions in relation to his own medical treatment.
- Acting for Leicestershire Partnership Trust and UH Leicester NHS Trust in a 14-day jury inquest relating to the self-inflicted death by a 20-year-old with Asperger’s and ASD.
- Advised on the successful £650m merger between Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- Advised NHS Birmingham Cross City CCG, NHS Birmingham South Central CCG and NHS Solihull CCG on their merger.
- Advised University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust disposal for the disposal of former main site to a developer.
Gowling WLG is regularly involved in healthcare-related public-private partnerships, M&A, procurement of services, general corporate advice and real estate transactions, while also helping clients prepare for the likely consequences of Brexit. Robert Breedon heads the team and has a strong track record advising clients from the public and private sector on commercial healthcare projects and outsourcing contracts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gowling is a very well-regarded specialist firm.‘
Department of Health and Social Care
Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Mansfield and Ashfield CCG and NHS Newark and Sherwood CCG
Birmingham Women’s and Children’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Fresenius Medical Care Renal Services Limited
UDG Healthcare Group plc
Synlab Group (includes Labco UK, Integrated Pathology Partnerships and Synlab)
Formation Capital, LLC
Montreux Healthcare Fund
Beckman Coulter (UK) Limited
Central Surrey Health Limited
Philips Electronics (Healthcare)
- Advising Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust in relation to its groundbreaking public-private partnership to become an International Orthopaedic Centre of Excellence.
- Advising Lakeside Healthcare on its series of mergers to create one of the largest GP partnerships in England.
- Advised Central Surrey Health in relation to a challenge against NHS Surrey Downs CCG arising from a procurement for adult community services in Surrey.
Pinsent Masons LLP focuses on providing non-contentious corporate and commercial advice to private healthcare clients and investors. Practice head Joanne Ellis handles real estate and corporate transactions including acquisitions of dental practices, sale of care home portfolios and the negotiation of partnerships. She is often supported by director Tom Eastwood on real estate transactions.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising Apposite on the investment in Riverdale Topco and supplemental acquisition of several dental practices.
- Advised August Equity on the launch of its new medically focused and consultant-led dermatology group.
With a strong focus on clinical negligence claims, Weightmans LLP advises healthcare trusts, private healthcare providers and insurers on inquests, patient consent, Court of Protection proceedings, misdiagnosis, birth injury, surgical error and fatal accidents. Tony Yeaman, Deborah Bannister and the newly promoted Jasmine Armstrong are the key experts in that area. In other work, the team acts as legal adviser on patient safety, risk management, data protection and child abuse issues.
Tony Yeaman; Deborah Bannister; Jasmine Armstrong
National Health Service Resolution
Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospital of North Midlands NHS Trust
Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust
Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS foundation Trust
Derbyshire Healthcare NHS FT
West Midlands Ambulance Service
Weight to Go Ltd
Royal Sun Alliance
- Defended South Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Partnership NHS Trust against a claim that a mental health patient was falsely imprisoned and deprived of his liberty when he was detained.
- Advising Birmingham Women’s and Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust to facilitate the transition during the early stages of the merger.