Clinical negligence: claimant in West Midlands
Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP's well-respected team of specialist lawyers has built up a national reputation, under the leadership of its practice head Rankeshwar Batta. It advises claimants on a wide range of matters ranging from modest value cases to complex multi-million pound actions. Its practice covers amputation claims, brain injuries, cosmetic surgery claims, dental negligence, GP negligence and spinal injury claims, among other areas. Senior associate Ann Houghton and associate Victoria Fullilove are recommended.
‘A very heart warming and trustworthy practice‘.
‘The quality of all their solicitors is very high. They have an exceptional work ethic‘.
‘The team is dedicated to its clients and is a pleasure to work with. All genuinely nice and caring people who go above and beyond to get the best results possible‘.
‘Rankeshwar Batta has a fantastic practice. He is a very good lawyer and has brilliant strategic awareness‘.
‘Rankeshwar Batta stands out as an exceptional solicitor with excellent specialist skills’.
‘Rankeshwar Batta is a busy and inspirational leader, but one who makes time for his colleagues and juniors and above all the care of the client‘.
‘Both Rankeshwar Batta and Victoria Fullilove offer you a first-class and personal service whilst guiding you through the process, they are emphatic and compassionate to the clients’ needs and offer their support throughout‘.
‘David Evison is up and coming and very knowledgeable‘.
Irwin Mitchell fields a large team, which is led by Lisa Jordan, and specialises in highly complex, varied and high value cases. Its areas of expertise include birth injury cases, stillbirth compensation claims, neonatal deaths, cosmetic/dental surgery, as well as spinal and amputation cases. The group also has particular expertise in dealing with injuries and fatalities in a mental health setting. Emma Rush is another key figure.
Lisa Jordan; Sara Burns; Mandy Luckman;Luke Daniels;Lindsay Tomlinson;Emma Rush
Other key lawyers:
‘It has outstanding individuals. Despite its size the team is very collegiate and works well as a unit. The team achieves some phenomenal results and is not afraid to take on cases that are tricky in order to secure damages for the clients‘.
‘One of the strongest clinical negligence teams in the country. It has incredible strength in depth and fantastic resources‘.
‘Lisa Jordan is the ultimate head and the ethos cascades down from her. She is a champion for claimants in this field‘.
‘Emma Rush is very efficient, gets fantastic results, is very committed and determined to win’.
‘Emma Rush is a very able clinical negligence lawyer with sound judgment about how to progress her cases’.
‘Mandy Luckman, Emma Rush,Lisa Jordan and Sara Burns. All have huge experience, are technically competent and have great empathy with their clients. They and their associates have the firm trait which is a willingness to run difficult cases to trial and take risks on behalf of their clients‘.
‘Jenna Harris has excellent judgment and a determination to succeed. Clients appreciate the effort she puts into cases‘.
KB- male, 58 years old
- Successfully settled a case where the claimant had blood tests taken which, it transpired, revealed he had an infection but the results were sent in error to his local hospital rather than his GP. He subsequently suffered a stroke and brain damage.
- Instructions in respect of a delay in diagnosis of oral cancer.
- Acting in a case where there was substandard medical management which resulted in a stroke.
- Represented the client in a fatal claim concerning the death of a 61 year old man as a result of negligent medical care in A&E.
Lanyon Bowdler has a superb reputation across all areas of clinical negligence, with a particular proficiency in handling brain and spinal injury claims. It also has a separate Court of Protection department, which provides ongoing support for clients after damages have been recovered. Team head Kay Kelly has extensive experience in catastrophic birth injury, neurological injuries and sepsis cases, among other matters. Associate solicitor Emma Broomfield is also recommended.
Kay Kelly (Shrewsbury); Lucy Small (Hereford)
Other key lawyers:
Emma Broomfield; Beth Harrison; Katherine Marriott-Lodge;
‘Top notch team that kept us fully informed at all times‘.
‘Kay Kelly has a wealth of knowledge and experience and filled us with confidence that she can assist us with all queries and important issues arising with our case. Both she and her associates are always on hand to deal with any questions‘.
‘Kay Kelly is outstanding and is very approachable and clients love her. She is tenacious, but level-headed. She is also a superb tactician‘.
‘The team has excellent knowledge and explains matters clearly and concisely‘.
‘The solicitors and the administrative staff are very professional. They have all been excellent in my experience‘.
‘Beth Harrison is a strong team player with excellent judgment and is very popular with clients‘.
‘Emma Broomfield is always available and is exceptional with numbers‘.
‘Emma Broomfield is highly intelligent, knows how to win cases and will often take approaches to success which other solicitors would have missed’.
‘Katherine Marriott-Lodge was very supportive and made the process straightforward‘.
NB & MB re DB & GB Deceased
EB & OB by their Litigation Friend AB
JS re JI Deceased
- Representing the claimants in wrongful birth and fatal claims against the defendant NHS trust.
- Representing the claimants in a fatal claim against the defendant NHS trust following childbirth.
- Represented the claimant against the defendant NHS trust in a claim for the delay in diagnosis and treatment of cervical myelopathy resulting in neurological deficit and restricted mobility.
- Represented the claimant (age 13 at date of negligence and 19 at settlement) who suffered a SUFE hip joint injury that required surgery.
- Represented the claimant against the defendant GP following the delay in diagnosis of rectal cancer.
Phil Barnes leads the team at Shoosmiths LLP, which regularly advises on complex multi-million pound claims involving cerebral palsy, acquired brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and multiple amputations, as well as fatal claims. Barnes has a specific interest in infection and sepsis cases. Kashmir Uppal and others are particularly skilled at dealing with claims against “rogue surgeons” and at managing multi-party actions.
Phil Barnes – National Head of Medical Negligence;Denise Stephens (Reading); Andrea Rusbridge(Northampton); Richard Follis (Head of Shoosmiths’ Consumer Division)
Other key lawyers:
Kashmir Uppal; Richard Bannister; Natasha Read
‘The team has been caring and compassionate from the start. The lawyers have explained everything I needed to know as the case progressed‘.
‘Has a friendly team that is easy to work with but forceful and determined in the pursuit of the best possible outcome for the clients‘.
‘With Kashmir Uppal her passion and energy took what felt like the weight of the world off my shoulders. In fact I started to sleep easier that very same night we met‘.
‘Kashmir Uppal has a long experience in clinical negligence and has worked on a large number of medicolegal cases. I have always found her very learned and erudite‘.
‘Richard Bannister is an excellent solicitor and is totally committed to his clients. He works incredibly hard and I have been very impressed by his attention to detail in a number of cases‘.
‘Natasha Read‘s attention to detail has been nothing short of impressive. She has a lot of talent and a bright future‘.
AB (Re SB)
JT (re PT Dec’d)
SY (Re MJ Deceased)
- Acted in the case where a failure to refer the client for an operation resulted in a life-changing amputation.
- Acted in a case where there was a brain injury following an episode of high blood pressure and low potassium.
- Advised on a case where there was unnecessary surgery performed by Ian Paterson.
- Advised on a delayed diagnosis of knee infection resulting in permanent disability.
- Advised on a failure to identify and treat low potassium resulting in the tragic death of a 49 year old lady.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
Harrison Clark Rickerbys takes on a large proportion of birth injury claims that are being investigated under the Legal Aid franchise, and it represents clients with claims under the Human Rights Act. Practice head Inez Brown is experienced in a wide range of general surgery clinical negligence matters, including birth injury and amputation cases, as well as spinal injury matters. She also represents clients at inquests. Charlotte Measures made partner.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised on a case involving a delay in diagnosis of metastatic spinal cord compression (MSCC) leading to spinal damage and paraplegia.
- Achieved a substantial settlement for a client who had sustained life-changing injuries as a result of a hospital’s failure to promptly investigate, diagnose and treat her presenting condition of cervical spondylotic myelopathy.
- Acted on a case involving a delay in diagnosis of the blocked mesenteric artery, leading to ischaemia and removal of part of the small bowel.
- Advised on a case whereby EPK suffered brain damage at the age of two following negligent cardiac surgery, resulting in cerebral palsy.
- Represented VS in a complicated matter related to gynaecological matters.
Higgs & Sons is recognised for its expertise in handling serious birth injury claims. Clare Langford is widely respected for her experience in cerebral palsy claims and Erb’s palsy, while Liz Hickman excels in cases involving delayed diagnoses of cancer, as well as tetraplegia and birth injury matters. Other areas of expertise include matters where there has been a misdiagnosis, wrongful prescription of medication and cases involving lack of consent.
Clare Langford; Liz Hickman
Other key lawyers:
‘This is a very efficient and client focussed practice that does a very professional job‘.
‘Provides an excellent personal service to clients in a difficult area of work‘.
‘The team is professional whilst maintaining a friendly and caring practice that is responsive and attentive to clients’ needs‘.
‘Has a very experienced team that despite its prominence and presence in the market, retains a personal touch which it of great value to lay clients’.
‘Clare Langford is extremely thorough. Provides personal attention to her clients. Approachable‘.
‘Sue Allen is an extremely experienced and well known clinical negligence practitioner who is respected by peers and (importantly) opponents‘.
‘Liz Hickman is another highly experienced and well known practitioner who is not afraid to take on challenging cases and get results from them‘.
GHP Legal's team is experienced in difficult injury cases, including major psychiatric injury and wrongful diagnosis cases. It also acts for adult survivors of sexual abuse. The team advises on the full array of matters from NHS and private hospital negligence claims to cosmetic surgery negligence claims. John Hulme leads the team.
Sydney Mitchell LLP handles the full range of clinical negligence claims, including cases involving negligent treatment and delays in diagnosing cancer. Other matters stem from cosmetic surgery, brain surgery and gastric bypass surgery. In addition, other claims are connected with laparoscopic cystectomy, dentistry and gynaecology. It predominantly represents local clients in claims against local hospitals. The head of the team is Mike Sutton.
Other key lawyers:
Adam Hodson; David Lydon
- Acting in a complex case against four defendants involving a late diagnosis of spinal tuberculosis, with liability and causation disputed throughout and ultimately achieving a favourable settlement.
- Acting for a patient with oesophageal cancer who underwent surgery which was performed negligently and led to life-long and debilitating consequences.
- Advising on negligent medical treatment that was carried out by an urological surgeon to treat prostate cancer that was unsuitable and resulted in avoidable urological consequences.
- Advising on a claim involving a new born child, where the failure of the trust to monitor the bilirubin levels and administer appropriate treatment resulted in brain injury.
- Acting in a claim involving an admitted 18 month delay in diagnosis of lymphoma but the trust is disputing causation and is seeking to argue that the disease was so rare and aggressive that the patient’s prognosis was always likely to be poor, regardless of the treatment he received.
Thompsons Solicitors LLP
Thompsons Solicitors LLP's group, which has a strong track record in high-profile cases, is well-regarded for its experience of TVT/vaginal mesh litigation. It handles various other matters, such as high-value cerebral palsy cases, wrongful birth claims, catastrophic injury cases and fatalities that arise from clinical negligence. It demonstrates strong credentials in group actions, and has brought various claims against a number of negligent surgeons in the Midlands. Linda Millband is a key member of the department.
Linda Millband; Martin Singh
‘Its strength is its depth and a wealth of experience. Supervision is excellent. The quality of the partners is extremely high and they are ably assisted by very good junior solicitors and legal executives‘.
JE v University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (Surgical error case)
- Successfully concluded a case where the claimant was affected by negligently performed spinal surgery and negligent remedial surgery.
- Successfully settled a cerebral palsy case in which breach and causation were denied for a long period of time.
- Successfully acted for the claimant in a wrongful birth case.
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP is currently handling two substantial group actions for clinical negligence, and its team's considerable experience also includes cases where the mother and/or the baby have suffered severe birth trauma. In addition, it is well-regarded in neurological claims where brain and/or nerve injury have arisen from surgery, and it has also successfully pursued claims where prostheses used in hip surgery has gone wrong. Also notable is that Jeanette Whyman, who is the head of the medical compensation team, represents clients at inquests.
- Conducting a group action on behalf of 20 claimants who are pursuing claims against Mr Manu Nair. The claims are varied but mainly concern treatment for prostate cancer.