Media and entertainment in Wales
Headed by solicitor Fiona Peet, Capital Law Limited is one of only a few firms in Wales with a standalone media and entertainment practice. Formerly in-house at a local production company, Peet has effectively leveraged this industry knowledge to provide a strong service to clients from the film and TV industries on their commercial contracts, including the drafting of production/development agreements. Wayne Beynon also often advises clients in the sector on IP issues.
Other key lawyers:
Infinity Creative Media
University of South Wales
Gritty Realism Productions
- Advised Influence Digital Marketing on its standard form agreement for use in its onboarding process of all new clients.
- Represented Smorgasbord in closing a deal with United Agents, for the renewal of a Hollywood talent’s engagement in a Smorgasbord production.
- Advised Planks Clothing on an advertising arrangement with an Olympic skier, as part of an endorsement arrangement.
- Retained to advise Handmade Films Group on all the IP needs of its extensive library of motion pictures
Hugh James' merger with MLM Cartwright in 2016 enhanced the firm's visibility in the creative industries sector, given that firm's strong connections with numerous media and entertainment clients. Corporate and commercial partner Aled Walters has significant experience in the media and entertainment field gleaned from many years' experience in private practice and in his previous role in-house at S4C. As well as advising on broadcasting and rights commercialisation matters, the firm is also regularly involved in corporate and financing transactions in the sector.
Other key lawyers:
The firm is knowledgeable in corporate and media specifically – which gives them a head start to other firms.
Aled Walters has an excellent knowledge and understanding of the media industry in Wales, and business in Wales in general.
Lowri Walters is thorough, meticulous and personable
TAC (Teledwyr Annibynol Cymru)
Welsh Government –Media Investment fund
- Advised on Avanti Media’s sale to Sky and its appointment to produce Songs of Praise.
- The team advised Cwmni Da on a multi-party co-production agreement on the successful television three-part series ‘Tide’ with S4C, BBC Alba, BBC Northern Ireland, Sky Vision, G4 and MAC TV.
- Sole and exclusive legal adviser to TAC (Teledwyr Annibynol Cymru).
- Advising the Media Investment Fund (the Welsh government’s £30m fund for television and film making in Wales) on its investment into the television series, Doctor Who
Media and entertainment/sport is one of the core sector focuses of boutique Cardiff-based firm Loosemores Solicitors, and consequently it is able to provide a 'highly informed and focused' offering across the waterfront of matters impacting on clients in the sector. Formerly head of legal affairs at S4C, consultant Sara Griffiths has particular credibility within the film and TV industry, and provides 'thorough and knowledgeable advice when drafting complex co-production film and television financing and production agreements'. Mark Loosemore is accomplished at handling media and data rights agreements in the sports industry.
Other key lawyers:
One of only a few law firms in Wales offering sound non-contentious legal advice in this area of law
Blue Stag Studio
Bux & Bewl
Clwb Ifor Bach
Football Association of Wales
Martha Stone Production
Messy Hands Production
Orchard Media & Events
Small Luxury Hotels of the World
The East Wing Studio
The Stars Group
Welsh Rugby Players Association
Why Hide/Plenitude Productions
Zest Sports Group
- Advising new client The Stars Group on a major proposed new agreement with Inspired Gaming for the provision of virtual sports games to The Stars Group.
- Advising Small Luxury Hotels of the World on a major proposed marketing agreement with Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- Advising the Football Association of Wales on the proposed agreement for the Wales men’s football team to participate in the China Cup 2018
- Advising on the proposed agreement for Orchard Media & Events to run the UEFA Champions Festival at the UEFA Champions League finals in Madrid in June 2019
- Advising existing client Zest Sports Group on the establishment of its new website bookhospitality.com and related matters