Rachelle Sellek heads up the newly configured commercial and technology group at Acuity Law, which provides a comprehensive service to supply and end user-side IT and telecoms companies across a broad range of regulatory, contractual and commercial matters impacting their businesses. The firm is noted for its 'entrepreneurial approach' on behalf of clients, and in addition to its well-established Acuity Counsel subscription service, also recently launched Acuity DataGuard, enabling clients to carry out an audit of their data collection and processing activities. The firm's coverage within the fintech and telecoms space, in particular, was greatly enhanced by the arrival in September 2020 of Karl Foster , following his role as general counsel at Indigo Group. Rehman Noormohamed joined Fieldfisher in December 2020.
IT and telecoms in Wales
Other key lawyers:
Karl Foster; Phil Pugh; Natalie Jones; Lowri Morgan Macdonald
‘The firm displays an entrepreneurial approach.’
Creditsafe Business Solutions Limited
Aqualisa Products Limited
W2 Global Data
Licentia Group Ltd
Alesi Surgical Limited
Newport Wafer Fab Limited
- Advising IQE Plc in respect of its entry into a number of research collaboration and consortium agreements with various third parties including universities, automotive companies and technology companies.
- Advising the Institute for Advanced Automotive Propulsion Systems, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the University of Bath, on its operating model for its first year of operation.
- Advised Licentia Group in connection with the sale of its subsidiary company, myHSM Ltd, (which is a global provider of payment hardware security modules), to Utimaco IS GMBH, a worldwide supplier of professional cyber security solutions.
Led by Matthew Gough, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's team regularly advises customers and suppliers on IT commercial contracts relating to software development, cloud computing and outsourcing. Gough is also adept at advising on work at the intersection of IT and financial services, including on behalf of fintech companies, as well as traditional financial instiutions adopting new technologies. Newly promoted partner Eve England is the other core member of the team and has an excellent reputation in the market advising clients seeking to digitise their services and operating models, as well as in relation to consumer law issues concomitant to the increasing use of online sales channels.
Other key lawyers:
Eve England; Joanna Hooper
Thames Water Utilities Limited
Pollen Street Capital Limited
Schools Software Solutions Limited
The National Grid
- Representing Thames Water on a variety of IT contracts, with leading IT suppliers, in connection with software development, cloud and outsourcing.
- Advising Pollen Street Capital Limited on the IT due diligence aspects of its acquisition of a number of fintech businesses, including various foreign currency exchange companies.
- Reviewing and amending software licences for training tools hosted and maintained by Schools Software Solutions on its website and advising on the impacts of the GDPR.
Under the steady guidance of ‘trusted advisor‘ Justin Harrington, Geldards LLP has established itself as a go-to-practice for clients on their most important and transformative IT-related commercial and procurement matters. Much of this work is for public sector and financial services clients and is thereby subject to strict regulatory considerations regarding procurement processes.
‘What Justin Harrington doesn’t know about technology, outsourcing, data protection and IP isn’t worth knowing. One of our most trusted advisers.’
Headed by Maria Coggins, Capital Law Limited's two-partner team provides a 'fantastic service and good practical legal advice' to clients across the spectrum of their IT-related needs, including on the commercial contractual arrangements to facilitate large IT projects, as well as on software development, licensing and managed service solutions. Senior associate Christopher Coughlan is an 'excellent contract lawyer' and is particularly appreciated for his work within the fintech and insurtech sectors, areas that the firm is able to provide added value by dint of Rachel Hillier's wide-ranging financial services regulatory expertise.
Other key lawyers:
Rachel Hillier; Chris Coughlan; Kellsey Logue; Carrie Gwyther
‘The team is very responsive and exhibits a customer-focused culture.’
‘The team provides a fantastic service and good practical legal advice.’
‘Chris Coughlan is an excellent contract lawyer and is great in difficult client negotiations.’
‘Chris Coughlan is able to articulate complex legislation very simply, he can quickly and easily assess the scenarios we put to him and help us make informed decisions based on the explanations provided.’
ITC Global Security Limited
The Royal Mint Limited
Hectare Agritech Limited
Smart Green Shipping Alliance Limited
Equine Register Limited
TXO Systems Limited
Veezu Holdings Limited
Vortex IoT Limited
Myunidays Limited and UNiDAYS Inc
Smart Solutions (Recruitment) Limited
Clicksco Digital (UK) Limited
Internal Results Limited
Sprout.ai Limited (formerly BlockClaim Limited)
Extracover Limited t/a Zego
Venari Security Limited
- Advise ITC Global Security Limited, a London-based cyber security specialist, on their customer and supplier contracts, data protection and risk.
- Advise the Sero Group on all legal aspects of their smart energy projects including working on one of the world’s first true net zero carbon housing developments.
- Advise Vortex IoT, a provider of air quality monitoring sensors, rail optical sensors, integrated smart parking systems and a proprietary mesh network, as they lead a consortium which includes BT/EE and National Express for the West Midlands 5G and Transport for West Midlands Pioneer Revolutionary New Transport Projects.
The ‘friendly and approachable’ technology sector team at Harrison Clark Rickerbys has hit the ground running since the opening of the Cardiff office in 2020 and has picked up some notable mandates for Wales-based clients, as well as those outside the region. This success is largely down to the superb reputation that ‘knowledgeable and commercially astute‘ team head Nicola McNeely has across a range of IT and fintech-related matters, including as it relates to blockchain.
Other key lawyers:
‘The outstanding Cardiff team is friendly, approachable and always happy to support where required.’
‘I cannot recommend Nicola McNeely highly enough – she is knowledgeable and commercially astute.’
‘‘David Beynon exhibits a commercial and pragmatic approach.’
Symec Technologies Limited
Digital Swiss Gold
Qbase Data Services
Muddy Boots Software Limited
Circle IT Solutions Limited
RSM Partners Limited
- Provide on-site secondment and support to in-house counsel of allpay Limited on commercial and IT contracts and training on developments in the payments sector including blockchain, PSD2 and Open Banking.
- Providing legal and regulatory advice to Digital Swiss Gold regarding the technology, the issues relating thereto and their options for launch in India and other territories.
- Working on part time secondment 1-2 days a week to support the directors and their teams of Symec Technologies Limited in delivering high value mobile asset management services to corporates across the UK and wider.
Although it does handle some broader IT and IP contract-related advice, RDP Law's sweet-spot is in relation to advising on data protection and cyber security. The firm's reputation in this area is largely down to Kerry Beynon , who is regularly sought out in a local and national context to provide compliance advice/training, as well as being brought in by clients to minimise the fall out following any potential data breach.