IT and telecoms in Wales
Now headed by Rehman Noormohamed following his arrival from DWF in September 2018, Acuity Law's three-partner team advises public and private sector clients across a range of commercial work, including in relation to software licences and maintenance agreements, software development contracts and outsourcing contracts. Noormohamed has significant experience for suppliers and end users on domestic and cross-border TMT matters, including on data privacy and cyber security-related matters. On the data protection front, clients also benefit from the "DataGuard" system, a subscription-based GDPR compliance and training service.
Other key lawyers:
Vista Retail Support
Creditsafe Business Solutions
Business Systems UK Limited
Progressive Technology Solutions
Cardiff University and University College Consultants Cardiff
- Advised MDS Technologies on a number of IT matters including the drafting and negotiation of software licensing agreements and collaboration agreements in relation to the delivery of assured cloud and cyber security services.
- Advising Progressive Technology Solutions across a range of strategic and day-to-day IT/IP legal matters.
- Advising HF Trust on its business-critical IT and business transformation programme.
- Acting for Cardiff University and its commercialisation subsidiary, University College Consultants Cardiff, with advice around the protection and commercialisation of the IP it creates and develops through research and various IT contracts.
- Advised myPinPad on the licensing of its software in Asia (including China) and Russia through the creation of joint venture vehicles in these jurisdictions.
Blake Morgan LLP is best-known for its work across a range of IT projects (including cloud computing, app development and exploitation, business process and outsourcing) for public sector clients. Simon McCann regularly advises public sector clients on the procurement aspects of major IT projects and is a key member of the team that was enhanced by the arrival in January 2019 of Karl Foster , who previously worked as an in-house lawyer at a fintech and financial services intermediary.
Other key lawyers:
Simon McCann; Karl Foster; Jon Belcher; Kevin Manship
It is a very committed and professional team
The firm provides excellent leadership and governance
Emyr Lewis is very dedicated and committed.
Greater Manchester Police
NHS Wales Informatics Service
Wales and West Utilities
- Advising on the procurement of a network refresh for Cardiff University
- Advised Greater Manchester Police (part of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority) on all aspects of the procurement both of the Strategic Development Partner and various IT contractors for specific work packages.
Led by the 'excellent' Matthew Gough, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is particularly well regarded for handling IT-related work for financial services companies, including on software licensing issues, e-commerce and outsourcing projects. Gough has gained an excellent reputation in the market for advising on fintech matters, both from a contractual law perspective associated with new products developed by financial institutions, as well as in relation to providing due diligence input on M&A handled by the firm in the sector. Principal associate Eve England has a focus on supporting clients on the digitisation of their services and operating models.
‘Matthew Gough is very good at handling IT-related work involving a consumer law overlay’
‘There are genuine stars working day in day out in this area with a great mixture of skills and experience, and it is a team that works very easily with us.’
‘Matthew Gough is great to work with. His experience and practicality shine. It is difficult for opponents to argue with him much of the time. I like the way he priorities issues well so we are focusing on the valuable items for us. This attitude flows down well with his team of associates as well.’
British Bankers Association
Schools Software Solutions
Nationwide Building Society
The National Grid
- Advising Thames Water across a range of commercial matters, including on a variety of IT contracts with leading IT suppliers in connection with software development, cloud and outsourcing.
- Reviewing and amending software licences for training tools hosted and maintained by Schools Software Solutions on its website and advising on the impact of the GDPR.
- Advised Veezu Holdings, a tech-focused taxi group, on a wide variety of IT contracts, including software licence and maintenance.
Led by Justin Harrington, Geldards LLP's three-partner team provides an 'excellent service' to consumers and suppliers (from the public and private sector) on outsourcing and supply projects, as well as on the design and development of software apps. Recognised by clients as 'best in class', Harrington leads on many of the most significant mandates handled by the firm and excels in handling larger IT and outsourcing projects often with a regulatory aspect. Solicitor Madeline Rees has garnered an excellent reputation for advising on tech-related commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
David Beynon; Madeline Rees
The team is responsive, knowledgeable and great to work with.
Justin Harrington is superb
Madeline Rees is a superb help to our various tech projects.
- Advising a regulated utilities company on a suite of outsourcing arrangements
- Advising an innovative provider of regtech services to the financial services sector on their contracts.
- Supporting a US supplier in respect of its provision of outsourced IT services constituting a ‘material’ outsourcing for FCA purposes for a UK-based financial services company
'Great generalists, who can access in-depth help if needed', Capital Law Limited handles a significant amount of IT and telecoms work utilising commercial and litigation lawyers at the firm with the requisite sector knowledge. The scope of the work is broad and includes advice on IT outsourcing agreements, GDPR training and compliance, and domain name registration strategies.
The arrival of Kerry Beynon from Acuity Law in November 2018 has significantly raised the profile of Newport-based firm RDP Law for IT-related work. The 'exceptionally knowledgeable' Beynon has in-depth knowledge across information security and GDPR matters and acts for numerous clients in the role of a data protection outsourced officer where she provides advice on IT-related contracts, data protection impact assessments and ongoing training.