Blake Morgan LLP's team provides non-contentious and contentious IP expertise for a fairly balanced mix of public and private sector clients, including an increasing number of retail and media entities. Leveraging his broader commercial litigation skills, team head Lee Fisher is adept at guiding clients through the court process, including securing urgent injunctive relief if necessary. Fisher's remit extends beyond litigation, however, and clients also benefit from expert counselling in relation to patent law and comparative advertising. Senior associate Joanna Corbett-Simmons continues to develop a strong contentious IP offering, particularly on behalf of clients bringing or defending claims relating to copyright, trade mark and design rights.
Intellectual property in Wales
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Whittle; Joanna Corbett-Simmons
‘Lee Fisher puts the intellectual into intellectual property. He deals with matters very efficiently and is always prompt and keeps us informed.’
Flame and Wax Inc t/a Voluspa
Fortune Woods (UK) Limited
Development Bank of Wales
Hearing Health and Mobility Limited
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Advising a leading mechanical and electrical engineering company in injunctive proceedings to protect business worth in region of £5m pa.
- Providing ongoing advice relating to branding and enforcement of Clarins’ Selective Distribution Network.
- Developing and delivering lectures on the subject of Intellectual Property & New Product Development for the University of South Wales Trinity Saint David’s courses.
Displaying a 'can-do attitude that is well tuned to the practicalities of business', Capital Law Limited provides a 'great all-round service' to private sector entities, including tech and media companies, seeking to protect, enforce and commercialise their IP assets. Team head Wayne Beynon is able to combine his broad commercial litigation smarts with excellent technical knowledge across the gamut of IP law, enabling him to provide a very effective service to clients defending or enforcing their IPR (including as it relates to trade mark, copyright, and passing off claims). 'Approachable and knowledgeable' associate Kellsey Logue is gaining a strong following on the non-contentious front and as well as advising on IP licensing agreements and IP-related corporate support work, also heads up the firm's IP audit offering, which is proving popular among SMEs to better understand and identify potential revenue producing IP assets within their businesses.
Other key lawyers:
Guto Llewelyn; Chris Coughlan; Kellsey Logue
‘The team exhibits a good breath of service and strong technical knowledge.’
‘Highly professional, courteous and prompt response, flexibility, personable, and trustworthy.’
‘Great all-round service. A can-do attitude that is well tuned in to the practicalities of business.’
‘We have been very impressed with Kellsey Logue. Approachable, knowledgeable and thoroughly competent.’
IG Design Group Plc
Menter a Busnes
Cardiff City Football Club Limited
Royal Mint Limited
Lean Competency Services Limited
COVID-19 Ventilators Limited
- Supported Covid 19 Ventilators Limited to protect their intellectual property for their development of a CPAP device to be used in response to the pandemic.
- Acting for Nuby (UK) LLP on a defended European Registered Design Right case in the IPEC.
- Providing a six-month rolling secondment of trainee solicitors to The Royal Mint’s in-house team with a focus on intellectual property issues.
‘Approachable and easy to deal with‘, Geldards LLP‘s team has a core focus on IP matters, ensuring it is in an ‘excellent position to provide the best advice and guidance to their clients to navigate through this field’. Team head Michael Lindsey is ‘clearly an expert in his field‘ and has vast experience representing public and private sector clients in IP litigation at all court levels, including the Court of Appeal.
Other key lawyers:
Gosia Evans; Christopher Cameron
‘The TMT team is highly knowledgeable and is up to date with all areas of practice so that they are in an excellent position to provide the best advice and guidance to their clients to navigate through this field and to ensure that the best approach is provided.’
‘The thing that I value most about Geldards is that they are a large enough firm to have the expertise in house to deal with any legal issues that I may have, but are still very approachable and easy to deal with. They have coped very well with the restrictions imposed by Covid with no disruption to the level of service provided.’
‘Michael Lindsey has been a pleasure to deal with. He clearly is an expert in his field, but is extremely approachable and easy to talk to.’
‘Gosia Evans is always super knowledgeable about the law and what is needed for her clients to enable them to get the best out of a situation. She is extremely personable and prepared to fight hard for them at all times.’
Rutherford Health Plc
Tessitura Network, Inc.
British Boxing Board of Control Limited
DTR Medical Limited
Mountain Warehouse Limited
Sofa Brands International Limited
- Advising leading comparison service provider, GoCompare, in various trade mark and advertising matters, including in relation to comparative advertising.
- Advising Rutherford Health Plc in relation to its long-term commercial collaboration with Panthera Biopartners. The purpose of the collaboration is to create a network of world-class clinical trial sites for the development of new cancer treatments.
- Advising British Boxing Board of Control (the governing body of professional boxing in the UK) in relation to multiple trade mark infringement and passing off matters.
Following the departure in December 2020 of Rehman Noormohamed to Fieldfisher, Acuity Law's IP team is now spearheaded from the firm's newly established London office by Cordelia Payne. Nevertheless, several lawyers based out of Cardiff have some non-contentious IP expertise, including Rachelle Sellek, whose broad commercial contracts prowess regularly sees her assisting clients on the commercialisation of their IPR, and media head Angharad Evans, who is well-versed in IP issues impacting film and TV clients.
Cordelia Payne (London office)
Other key lawyers:
Angharad Evans; Rachelle Sellek; Phil Pugh; Lowri Morgan-Macdonald; Natalie Jones
Led by Matthew Gough, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is adept at advising on the IP risks and issues associated with digital services and technology. The team also has a strong reputation representing financial services clients on IP-related matters, both on a standalone basis, as well as in the context of IP-related corporate support work, including for specialist financial services investment company, Pollen Street Capital, on its downstream investment work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Eversheds Sutherland provide superb support on the tech and telecoms front.’
‘Matthew Gough and Eve England are a delight to work with.’
Schools Software Solutions Limited
Pollen Street Capital Limited
Scansource Europe SPRL
- Advising Schools Software Solutions on the development of Apps and the agreements relating to the licensing and exploitation of the same.
- Providing IP due diligence to private equity sponsor, Pollen Street Capital, in relation to its proposed acquisition of a financial services company in the foreign exchange sector.
- Supporting an international reseller of communications and security goods and solutions in connection with a range of legal matters, including, advising on implications of software licensing and other issues impacting on our client’s resale of third party licenses.
Led by the ‘knowledgeable and commercially astute‘ Nicola McNeely, the nascent Cardiff-based technology sector team at Harrison Clark Rickerbys provides ‘sound legal advice’ across the spectrum of non-contentious IP matters. McNeely has a particular niche advising on blockchain-related matters, including the use of that technology to produce gold investment products.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is commercially minded.’
‘The lawyers are extremely friendly and make it easy to pick up the phone, whatever the question. They are an outstanding firm.’
‘The team provides our business with sound legal advice framed in a commercial context.’
‘The team is excellent in comparison to many of its peers, since it regularly engages and communicates to clients/former clients/stakeholders by email or via social media channels advising them on sector developments.’
‘I have never engaged a more professional, polished, knowledgeable and commercially astute lawyer than Nicola McNeely in my career.’
‘David Beynon was extremely helpful, and was really quick to understand our business, its structure and processes, and what we need to do in order to formalise our business better.’
Symec Technologies Limited
Digital Swiss Gold
Amber Energy Solutions Limited
Community Utilities Limited
Tutum Capital Limited
Hype For Type Limited
Galebreaker Agri Ltd
Wolfberry Cyber Limited
- Advising on trade mark strategy and applications for Amber Energy Solutions Limited and its wider group plus trademarks for its product offering.
- Assisting Digital Swiss Gold with its legal and regulatory advice regarding the technology, the issues relating thereto and their options for launch in India and other territories.
- Working on part-time secondment 1-2 days a week to support the directors and their teams of Symec Technologies in delivering high-value mobile asset management services to corporates across the UK and wider.
Hugh James' 'commercial and pragmatic' head of commercial Aled Walters has a strong reputation in the market advising across a myriad contractual IP rights-related matters for gaming, tech and media clients.
‘Aled Walters is commercial and pragmatic.’