Led by the 'exceptional' Lee Fisher, Blake Morgan LLP's 'very experienced' four-strong team provides 'detailed and clear advice' across a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, including as it relates to comparative advertising and patent law, for public and private sector clients. Fisher is particularly strong at handling IP disputes, including those requiring urgent injunctive relief. Senior associate Joanna Corbett-Simmons is a 'highly proficient litigator' and regularly handles breaches of confidential information and copyright claims.
Intellectual property in Wales
The team is very experienced and provides invaluable advice and assistance.
I would recommend them to any other business who requires detailed and clear advice.
Lee Fisher’s knowledge and experience in IP matters is exceptional.
Lee Fisher always provides clear advice.
Flame and Wax Inc (t/a Voluspa)
Fortune Woods (UK) Limited
Hearing Health and Mobility Limited
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Clarins (UK) Limited
- Advised Tremorfa Limited, a leading mechanical and electrical engineering company, in relation to commencing injunctive proceedings against a competing company and former employee to prevent the misuse of confidential information.
- Advising Cardiff University on complex IP issues arising out of the development of a healthy eating application for mobile devices designed to encourage good dietary behaviours.
- Advising Hearing Health and Mobility, a subsidiary of DHAIS Plc, in relation to branding issues and their ownership of the goodwill in the mark “Hearsavers”, objected to by Specsavers.
Strengthened, particularly on the non-contentious front, by several hires at associate level - most prominent of which was the arrival in February 2019 of senior associate Christopher Coughlan from Ashfords LLP - Capital Law Limited excels in providing 'pragmatic advice' to assist public and private sector clients realise value from the IP they own, as well as to help protect their IPR from infringement. The team has recently handled numerous IP audits for SMEs and also often provides IP due diligence pursuant to M&A transactions handled by the firm. Team head Wayne Beynon specialises in IP litigation, and regularly advises clients on infringement recourse regarding patent, trade mark, copyright, and passing off claims. Cryptocurrency and blockchain expert Nicola McNeely joined Harrison Clark Rickerbys in April 2019.
The team takes a pragmatic approach which we find like a breath of fresh air.
They are always quick to respond and their advice is spot on – they very much feel like part of our team.
PCI Pharma Services
Handmade Films Group
IG Design Group
The Royal Mint Limited
British Medical Association
Tenovus Cancer Care
Nuby (UK) Limited
- Advise The Royal Mint on contentious and non-contentious IP matters, including high-profile licensing arrangements with third parties, copyright infringement, trade mark infringement and passing off.
- Provide an innovative and cost-effective copyright policing and enforcement service to the international photography agency, Pixsy Inc.
- Advised Nuby (UK Limited), world leading US owned mother and baby brand, on a highly contentious European Registered Design Right infringement claim.
Praised for its 'genuinely enthusiastic and knowledgeable' approach, Geldards LLP provides a 'responsive and cost-effective' service for clients in IP-rich industries, including healthcare, life sciences and media, as well as for many of the firm's public sector clients. Team head Michael Lindsey is 'very warm and knowledgeable' and has considerable contentious IP expertise, including as it relates to online and broadcasting trade mark and copyright issues. Senior associate David Beynon leads on the non-contentious front and assists clients protect and commercialise their IPR.
The team takes a very human approach to advising and appears conscious at all times of the wider concerns of a business relating to brands and all matters that surround a client’s business.
The team is genuinely enthusiastic and knowledgeable about its clients and how to get the best for them.
Michael Lindsay is very warm and knowledgeable and always asks the right questions.
Gosia Evans really cares about her clients and will always go the extra mile for them in any job.
Gosia Evans displays outstanding attention to detail.
Rutherford Health Plc
British Boxing Board of Control
John Bean Technologies Corporation
Pendragon Motor Group Limited
Tessitura Network, Inc.
Sofa Brands International Limited
Mountain Warehouse Limited
- Advised the Arts Council for Wales in respect of all IP issues relating to its high-profile Calon Lân karaoke project which was run globally during the Rugby World Cup.
- Advised Rutherford Health in relation to its long-term, strategically important, research and collaboration activities with an internationally recognised research facility within a prominent US university.
- Representing GoCompare Limited in successfully settling opposition proceedings brought in respect of the Company’s application to register its “weflip” logo as a UK trade mark.
Praised for its 'willingness to go the extra mile', Acuity Law provides 'technically excellent advice' across a range of non-contentious matters, including on behalf of clients seeking to commercialise their IPR and on IP due diligence associated with M&A activity handled by the firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘It is a technically excellent, practical team which goes the extra mile to make things work.’
‘While technically excellent, Rachelle Selleck’s great strength is listening, which allows her to correctly identify the issues that need addressing, thus being effective and time efficient.’
University of Bath
University of Bristol
Progressive Technology Solutions Limited
Jurassic Fibre Limited
- Advising the University of Bath in relation to the structure, development, commercial and operational aspects of its new global Centre of Excellence Institute for Advanced Automotive Propulsion Systems, a research and innovation initiative to support collaborative research with the automotive industry to develop future generations of ultra-low emissions vehicles.
- Advising and successfully resolving a dispute for furniture business, Isokon Limited, and at the point of sale received claims by a third party to own and therefore retain the brand and related rights which were a core part of the sale and its valuation.
- Through the Acuity Counsel service, the firm provides ongoing support and day-to-day advice on all matters relating to the business operations of Trinity Brands UK, including reviewing their contract pack with a view to protecting the IP owned by the brands under Trinity’s umbrella and advising on various IP licensing arrangements.
Led by Matthew Gough, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has a non-contentious focus to its work in the IP space. Marrying up the office's strength in relation to consumer law and fintech, the team provides a compelling proposition to clients within the financial services space and with consumer facing businesses, particularly in relation to their commercial contracts work. Eve England is also a core member of the team and excels in handling IP-related work within the digital space.
Other key lawyers:
South Hook LNG Terminal Company Ltd
Schools Software Solutions Limited
Scansource Europe SPRL
- Supporting energy company, South Hook LNG Terminal Company Ltd, across a range of commercial matters including IP issues relating to its corporate procurement activities, including advising on the procurement of IT licenses and specialist consultancy services.
- Advising Schools Software Solutions Limited on the development of Apps and the agreements relating to the licensing and exploitation of the same.
- Supporting Scansource Europe SPRL, an international reseller of communications and security goods and solutions, in connection with a range of legal matters, including advising on implications of software licensing and other issues impacting the client’s resale of third party licenses.
Praised for its 'responsiveness' and provision of 'clear advice that balances legal and commercial risks', Hugh James is particularly adept at handling non-contentious matters (including IP licensing agreements) for the firm's impressive roster of gaming, tech and media clients, which have been successfully cultivated by team head Aled Walters. On the litigation front, Tracey Singlehurst-Ward regularly represents clients engaged in copyright and trade mark infringement, breach of confidence and passing off mandates.
We receive a very rapid response, as well as clear advice that balances legal and commercial risks.
TCS John Huxley
International Convention Centre Wales
SJJ Service Systems Limited
Celtic Manor Resort
- Advised Celtic Manor – world-famous 5* hotel and the venue for many globally known events: The Ryder Cup and Barrak Obama’s Nato Summit – on its trade mark registration.
- Defending SJJ Systems Services in High Court injunctive proceedings alleging breach of copyright, database rights and breach of confidence.
The arrival in May 2019 of Nicola McNeely from Capital Law Limited to Harrison Clark Rickerbys, and the subsequent opening of a Cardiff office in February 2020 has seen the firm enter the Welsh legal market and rapidly make an impression within the TMT/IP sector. Much of the success for this lies in McNeely's niche expertise in relation to cryptocurrency and blockchain-related work, an area where she has become widely recognised as a 'real expert in the field'.
Nicola McNeely leads by example, by going the extra mile to make sure that client interests are protected and comprehensively addressed.
Nicola McNeely is an expert in the field on blockchain matters.
Symec Technologies Limited
Coaltown Coffee Limited
The Royal Mint Limited
Digital Swiss Gold
Amber Energy Solutions Limited
Community Utilities Limited
Digital Asset Services Limited, (t/a CoinCover)
Hype For Type Limited
Galebreaker Agri Ltd
- Assisting Digital Swiss Gold with its legal and regulatory advice regarding the technology, the IP issues relating there to and their options for launch in India and other territories.
- Working in collaboration with CoinCover on the world’s first cryptowill product.
- Representing The Royal Mint on its IP strategy, implementation and enforcement.
RDP Law's team head Kerry Beynon has a market leading reputation for data protection/cyber security work and has recently been pivotal to assisting many companies comply with GDPR legislation. In addition, Beynon also receives broader IP-related mandates from local and national companies, including as it relates to the commercialisation and enforcement of their IPR.