Acting on its own, as well as frequently alongside other offices within the firm, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's 11-strong Cardiff team provides 'very strong commercial advice' to a private sector-focused client base across the spectrum of contentious and non-contentious mandates throughout the UK. The team benefits from 'in-depth industry knowledge' across energy, transport and infrastructure and frequently has a leading role on construction and engineering projects within these sectors. Team head Alison Short is noted for her 'proactive' approach to working on nuclear, water and transport projects and although she is primarily engaged in transactional work, she is also, according to one client, 'unafraid to tell us what will and won't work in dispute resolution'. The team is also increasingly active in relation to built environment matters for a mix of lenders and developers. Senior associate Rachael Aaron takes the lead on many of the team's contentious mandates, including on several complex multi-million pound adjudications.
Construction in Wales
‘The team provides a full service across the wide area covered by construction law. The team members are always available and have always provide good commercial advice fully taking account of their clients’ particular circumstances.’
‘A great team of lawyers to work with, very efficient and has in-depth industry knowledge.’
‘They provide strong commercial advice.’
‘Alison Short provides excellent advice and is always available. Alison has a fantastic understanding of her client and how best to both argue our position and deliver the best outcomes given our commercial priorities.’
‘Alison Short has always provided clear, concise and helpful advice. Alison is very approachable, proactive, on top of her practice area, very commercial in her approach and has an excellent understanding of our business and our needs. She is not afraid to tell us what will work and what won’t in relation to dispute resolution, saving time and cost.’
NNB Generation Company (HPC) Limited
Dwr Cymru/ Welsh Water
NNB Generation Company (SZC) Limited
Annington Property Limited
Transport for Wales
Stena Line Ports Limited
Wales & West Utilities
Benefiting from a 'longstanding knowledge of the industry', Hugh James' 'highly responsive and commercial' four-partner team is regularly involved in many of the most significant regional mandates in the market for a balanced mix of private, public and third sector clients. Team head Ioan Prydderch has a focus on disputes work, where he is noted for his 'excellent strategic judgement'. Iwan Jenkins is 'highly valued for his pragmatic, non-contentious construction contract and sector expertise', including in the context of complex contractual documentation, where he is appreciated for his ability to 'help navigate risk'. The 'shrewd and pragmatic' Matthew Stevens is 'well respected in the South Wales market' by dint of his versatile practice that includes a considerable amount of contentious work for public sector clients, as well as a strong grounding in construction matters in the social housing space.
‘The team has an amazing commercial approach to legal issues and the annual contract governance service they offer ensures our contract documentation is up to date and reflects current legislation, commercial and legal experiences.’
‘Ioan Prydderch is highly commercial and collaborative, but knows when and how to stand firm for his clients. He has excellent strategic judgment.’
‘Iwan Jenkins is highly valued for his pragmatic, non-contentious construction contract and sector expertise.’
‘Matthew Stevens has an exceptional understanding of the law which you would expect, but what makes him to stand out, is his ability to bring his advice back to commercial pragmatic advice.’
‘Matthew Stevens is the stand out star for me. On the outside he’s smooth and articulate but behind that facade is a shrewd mind that is constantly calculating the best options for his client. He is well respected in the South Wales market.’
Ely Mill Development Company Limited
Newydd (1974) Housing Association Limited
Whiteheads Development Company Limited
Mabey Bridge Ltd
Walters UK Limited
- Advised Pobl on the largest carbon neutral development in the United Kingdom with 225 new homes being built outside Tonyrefail.
- Acting for the WRU on the flagship development of long heritage buildings on Westgate Street into a 175 bed luxury hotel.
- Acting on a major subcontract for the supply of steel for the Hinkley nuclear power station project.
Led by the 'exceptionally talented' Joanna Rees , Blake Morgan LLP's 'well-co-ordinated and knowledgeable' two-partner team has 'excellent technical knowledge' which it dispenses to developers and contractors, in particular, across a range of national and UK-wide projects. Although it does handle some private sector work, the team is particularly strong at advising public sector clients (including local authorities, education institutions and government-owned bodies) on major infrastructure and regeneration schemes. Senior associate Kate Howell is the main contact for contentious matters, including on cladding and other fire safety-related disputes.
‘Their expertise in both construction law and contract law is second to none.’
‘It is a well co-ordinated and knowledgeable team which expedites expert consice advice to clients in an easily understood manner.’
‘Very personable, excellent technical knowledge. Detailed billings to allow review. Willing to pick up unique challenging requests and behave proactively. Utilize junior staff for appropriate tasks to save the client money.’
‘They are very approachable and provide advice in a timely manner.’
‘Jo Rees is exceptionally talented and knowledgeable.’
Transport for Wales
The Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames
SPTS Technologies UK Limited
Carmarthenshire County Council
NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership – Specialist Estates Services
Cardiff City Council
- Advised Transport for Wales on all construction issues including procurement of contractors for railway works for the Core Valley Lines, Alliancing agreement, environmental and carbon conscious drafting and preparing a bespoke suite of NEC4 construction contracts for use across all its projects in 2022.
- Advising the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames on its “Transform Kingston” programme which is the regeneration of Kingston City Centre – this includes the Kingfisher Leisure Centre, Guildhall One and Guildhall Two and the future regeneration of the Cattle Market car park.
- Advising SPTS Technologies Limited, the world’s leading semiconductor manufacturer based in Newport on the procurement of a new state of the art factory with clean room technology.
The 'brilliant' four-partner team at Geldards LLP has 'tremendous strength both in transactional work and disputes' on behald of a varied mix of clients which include large public-sector institutions, developers, public/private partnerships and contractors. 'Stratospherically brilliant' team head Tony Norris is 'well-known and respected in the market', particularly on behalf of public sector clients involved in Wales-based infrastructure projects. At an associate level Claire Laviers advises on all aspects of construction contract drafting and negotiation, while Della Copley is 'a hugely calming presence' on many of the most significant disputes handled by the team.
‘The Geldards construction team is simply brilliant: they have tremendous strength both in transactional work and disputes, and are are particularly well known for their expertise in complex, high value arbitrations concerning Welsh infrastructure.’
‘Tony Norris is stratospherically brilliant. Clients, experts, counterparts, opponents and Judges all trust him to make well-judged and considered interventions. He knows exactly which arguments to pursue and where to place pressure.’
‘The experienced Tony Norris is an outstanding construction lawyer. Well-known and respected in the market. Approachable but hard nosed.’
‘Della Copley is a class turn. She manages some of Geldards’ biggest disputes, and is a hugely calming presence in a team, whilst always delivering critical advice and input on time.’
Carmarthenshire County Council (Cyngor Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Storage Giant Limited
Sutco (UK) Limited
OGI (Spectrum Fibre Limited)
Welsh Government & Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council (JV)
Western Power Distribution
Cadarn Housing Group Limited
Redrow Homes Limited
Natural Resources Wales
Wales & West Housing Association
United Welsh Housing Association
R & M Williams Limited
Pembrokeshire County Council
London Borough of Merton
- Advise the Welsh Government and Blaenau-Gwent County Borough Council (JV) in producing and advising on the construction documents and construction phase processes for the creation of a living laboratory campus, test track and model street complex to test driverless vehicles.
- Acting for the UK’s leading Distribution Operator, Western Power Distribution in relation to placing contracts, obtaining security documents such as bonds and warranties and dealing with disputes and terminations, across Wales and from as far south as Redruth in Cornwall to Huthwaite in the North.
- Advised Natural Resources Wales in relation to protecting an asset of the Welsh Government where NRW sought to carry out works to assist the migration of fish in order to boost fish populations in Wales and improve biodiversity and the economy.
The 'well-balanced and proactive' team at Acuity Law has a wide range of experience and is able to provide expertise to clients throughout the project lifecycle on matters ranging from complex infrastructure projects to city centre regeneration schemes. Regional developer Rightacres continues to generate a significant volume of work for the team, including iin relation to the delivery of the vast £100m Interchange transport-hub project in the Welsh capital. Team head James Williams 'always has a practical solution and advice' which he deploys to stakeholders across a range of non-contentious matters, including on the drafting and negotiation of building contracts, sub contracts and consultancy agreements. Mark Summers joined Burges Salmon LLP in December 2021.
‘The team is well balanced and proactive. They are clear communicators and happy to go the extra step such as by reaching out to third parties to explain terms and resolve misunderstandings.’
‘James Williams always has a practical solution and advice.’
Rightacres Property Co. Limited
Principality Building Society
Bluestone Resorts Limited
The Ingenious Group
- Continuing to advise Rightacres Property on several significant developments including the delivery of vast £100m Interchange transport-hub project in the Welsh capital, which includes state-of-the-art new HQs for the BBC, Legal & General and HMRC in Cardiff’s Central Square.
- Advising Rightacres Property on Cardiff’s waterfront residential scheme.
- Advised a specialist investment manager, in relation to the financing and construction of four residential blocks in Luton comprising circa 150 new build apartments, car parking and public realm works.
The 'extremely versatile' six-strong team at Capital Law Limited displays an 'excellent mix of local and national knowledge', ensuring that its balanced roster of public and private sector clients are well served across the gamut of their non-contentious and contentious construction needs. A 'pleasure to deal with', team head Stuart Pearson has developed a particularly strong reputation advising on the construction aspects of major energy and infrastructure projects; he has gained particular recent expertise drafting and negotiating contracts implementing the Mutual Investment Model (MIM) - an innovative way to invest in public infrastructure developed in Wales. 'Phenomenal' associate Samuel O’Callaghan has 'in-depth knowledge on a wide variety of construction contracts' and is also well regarded for his contentious skills.
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent mix of local and national knowledge, augmented by contentious and non-contentious practitioners.’
‘This team is extremely versatile and is able to assist with a wide variety of construction related matters.’
‘Stuart Pearson is just a pleasure to deal with, even when the pressure is on.’
‘Sam O’Callaghan has been a brilliant support, with rapid responses and thorough advice based on firm foundations in the construction industry. His broad experience is evident and we have full faith that our construction matters are in safe hands!’
‘Sam Callagahan is a phenomenal construction lawyer. He has in-depth knowledge on a wide variety of construction contracts. Sam leaves no stone unturned.’
Rhondda Cynon Taf County Council
Transport for Wales
University of South Wales
AndersonBrecon (UK) Limited/ PCI Pharma Services (PCI)
Newport City Homes
Solicitors Regulation Authority
Ascona Group Holdings Limited
Aptus Utilities Ltd
- Advised the Welsh Treasury in relation to the £3bn portfolio of Mutual Investment Model (MIM) projects.
- Advised Transport for Wales in preparing an innovative quadripartite collaboration agreement to increase the frequency of core valley line trains.
- Advised a major food production company on a framework appointing specialist contractors for upgrade and maintenance works to its facilities across the UK.
Drawing upon team head Steve Mundy's vast knowledge of standard and bespoke building and engineering contracts, Morgan LaRoche's three-strong team has a strong reputation among developers and contractors across a range of non-contentious and contentious matters.
Other key lawyers: