Insolvency and corporate recovery in Wales
The 'reliable and knowledgeable' team at Blake Morgan LLP has excellent ties with the local arms of national insolvency practitioners (IPs), and continues to pick up a significant amount of contentious and non-contentious work. As well as handling IP-led work, 'technically strong' team head Paul Caldicott also handles a significant volume of restructuring and insolvency work for banks as creditors. Senior solicitor Sophia Farmer has a focus on contentious matters and has developed a particularly strong practice in relation to personal insolvencies.
Other key lawyers:
Strength-in-depth and a great team ethic
The firm provides a hands-on, tailored service which goes above and beyond normal expectations of a lawyer/client relationship
Paul Caldicott and his team go above and beyond to provide significant added value in addition to the core service provision.
- Represented Begbies Traynor (Central) LLP in the appointment of administrators and sale of the well-known Bestival music festival.
- Complex bankruptcy asset realisation where the bankrupt had ‘sold’ part of his home pre-bankruptcy to a trust company. Difficulties include equity exoneration and occupation rent.
- CVL and MVL cases involving multiple ‘disguised remuneration’ tax avoidance schemes and investigation to consider misfeasance claims.
Capital Law Limited provides an integrated service to debtors, creditors and IPs by virtue of a strong litigation and a debt recovery facility. Able to leverage his broader commercial litigation prowess, team head Philip Jones has a particular strength at handling contentious insolvency matters, including as it relates to fraud cases and directors' duties claims.
Philip Jones; Duncan Macintosh
Begbies Traynor (Central) LLP
Development Bank of Wales
Brian and Dolly Pickering
Anthony and Andrea Lewis
- Defence of arbitration proceedings for Grant Thornton as the provisional liquidator of Enterprise Insurance Company plc.
- Acted for Gareth Holohan as defendant to a £750,000 claim issued by Gary Stones, liquidator of Engage4Life Limited (in liquidation).
- Advising the liquidator of Enterprise Insurance Company plc in a claim against Leeds United FC.
Now led out of Swansea by David Owen, following Andrew Murphy 's departure in January 2019 to Appleby, JCP Solicitors handles contentious and non-contentious work for IPs on local corporate and personal insolvencies. Sophie Thomas heads up the firm's commercial lending recoveries group, a role which includes representing lenders on appropriate recovery avenues via insolvency processes, and acting for receivers on all aspects of appointments and security.
Other key lawyers:
The firm has a strong presence as leading insolvency lawyers throughout South and West Wales
- Advising the client in relation to a statutory demand served in respect of a personal guarantee liability of approximately £1m.
- Acted for the administrator of a company in connection with the administration and sale of a public house as a going concern.
- Restoration of a company to the companies register in order to receive a distribution from a bank.
- Acting for a former director of a company in connection with an application under section 216(3) of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- Application to restore a company to the register of companies.