With expertise across a broad range of commercial litigation and also able to draw upon the expertise of practitioners with specific niche areas of strength, Blake Morgan LLP remains a popular choice among private and public sector clients. Team head Lee Fisher focuses on the firm's private sector clients and is most well-known for his prowess at handling corporate and IP-related disputes. The firm also has 'vast experience' in procurement litigation, and Joanne Thompson, who is noted for her 'excellent judgement and procedural tactics' has successfully carved out a 'market-leading' practice throughout Wales and the UK as whole. As part of her broad practice, senior associate Sarah Whittle has particular strength representing health sector clients, including in relation to judicial review proceedings.
Commercial litigation in Wales
‘The team has carved out a niche as one of the UK’s leading firms in heavyweight procurement litigation. In this highly specialised area, its vast experience is critically important.’
‘Joanne Thompson is a star. Having acted in numerous procurement disputes, she has excellent judgement about which points to take, and procedural tactics.’
The National Health Service Commissioning Board known as NHS England (“NHSE”)
Clarins (UK) Limited
The Tinopolis Group
NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership
PHS Group/Personnel Hygiene Services Limited
Garrison Barclay Limited
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Police and Crime Commissioner for Gwent
Capital Green Recycling
- Representing two core participants, the Welsh Blood Service and NHS England, on the Infected Blood Inquiry. The Inquiry into the infection (including Hepatitis C and HIV)( through blood transplants and provision of blood products has been accepting evidence for more than two years including from representatives of our clients.
- Acting for the sellers on a shareholder dispute in relation to the sale of a waste and recycling company.
- Continuing to act on major shareholder disputes, including in relation to two significant unfair prejudice petitions.
Noted for its flexible approach to fees, which includes access to the firm's own litigation fund, the 'high-quality' team at Capital Law Limited provides 'good value for money' to a myriad public and private sector clients across a wide array of litigation. 'Calm, authoritative and methodical' team head Stephen Meade is at the forefront of the most significant work handled by the team, including a high-profile challenge by the BMA relating to unilateral service charges levid on government-owned GP surgeries and many businesses in Covid-related Business Interruption Insurance claims. 'A strategic thinker', Andrew Brown launched Capital Dispute Finance (the aforementioned litigation fund) and as part of his broad practice regularly represents private sector clients accessing the fund. Praised for 'outstanding practical and strategic judgement', Nicola Mead-Batten excels in public law-related litigation, including judicial reviews. Philip Jones has an excellent perspective across a range of corporate and finance litigation, including derivative claims and shareholder disputes. Guto Llewellyn is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are knowledgable, commercial, attentive, practical and solutions-oriented.’
‘The team provides clear and concise and advice. They also explain things clearly and execute flawlessly.’
‘The most significant unique feature of the firm is its funding arm, which enables them to offer third party funding options alongside their legal services. They also have a genuinely commercial and pragmatic approach to running their cases.’
‘Stephen Meade is calm authoritative and methodical.’
‘Andrew Brown is an excellent strategic thinker.’
‘Nicola Mead-Batten has outstanding practical and strategic judgement.’
‘Lucy Emanuel is innovative and extremely thorough.’
Roadchef (Employee Benefits Trustees Limited) (“REBTL”)
Red Squirrel Consulting Limited
Teneo (as liquidators of Walsham Chalet Park Limited)
Alpha Schools (Holdings) Ltd
Cardiff City Football Club Limited (‘CCFC’)
Solicitors Regulatory Authority
British Medical Association
Teneo (Restructuring and Insolvency)
Cardiff City Football Club Ltd
Members of Rockpool Investments LLP
Tandem Money Limited
- Representing the BMA and five test case GP practices in claims relating to the national issue affecting hundreds of GPs who face demands for significantly increased property charges, such claims nationally amount to in the region of £175m.
- Successfully defended commercial court proceedings and recovered substantial costs in a claim brought against a high-net-worth individual concerning a multimillion-pound failed property development scheme in London.
- Representing a group of over 140 investors who invested in excess of £16m in RB Care Homes Companies – an arrangement that ultimately had all the hallmarks of a Ponzi Scheme.
Led by the 'pragmatic' Richard Pitt , the 'knowledgeable, driven and motivated' team at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP excels in handling for clients in the firm's core areas of industry strength, including transport, energy and education, with mandates invariably of a UK-wide nature. A significant proportion of the clients are public/third sector entities and the team is particular accomplished at assisting on public procurement exercises throughout the process, including in relation to disputes that may arise from failed bidders. Luisa Gibbons supports Pitt on the day-to-day running of the team and as well as her public procurement and judicial review expertise, also takes the lead on professional discipline matters. Public inquiries work is another core strength and its longstanding expertise in the area and its sensitivity to the challenges from both sides of the fence (having also run public inquiries themselves) ensures that it is uniquely well-placed and is able to provide 'strategic and politically aware advice that is sensitive to the unique needs of the client'. The 'meticulous' Angharad Haf Hurle and the 'brilliant' Anna Lois Senter are particular standouts for this work.
Other key lawyers:
‘The personalities involved make this team unique – they are warm, genuine, people who care about providing the right advice that my business needs.’
‘The practice consists of one of the most experienced, helpful, intelligent, practical and reasonable firms in this field of public inquiries and they are a joy to work with.’
‘They are strategic, politically aware, sensitive to the unique needs of the client and always get the job done.’
‘They are experienced, knowledgeable, able, driven and motivated.’
‘Richard Pitt is a stand out in terms of his pragmatic approach, with his advice always given with an understanding of the context in which my organisation operates.’
‘Angharad Hurle deserves particular mention. Her professionalism is second-to- none. She is meticulous in her work and is always in control.’
‘Anna Senter – just brilliant, she is bright and easy to work with.’
Department for Transport
Gloucestershire County Council
Serious Fraud Office
Nuclear Decommissioning Authority
Close Brothers Limited
Teaching Regulation Agency
Welsh Language Commissioner
Ecclesiastical Insurance Office Plc
The Haemophilia Society
Stena Line / Stena Ports
Department for Education
Telford and Wrekin Council
The Stationery Office
Lumon Risk Management Limited
Deriving a significant amount of work from the firm’s strong and longstanding public sector ties and also adept at handling general contract and shareholder disputes for a myriad of private sector entities, the 'personable, appproachable and knowledgeable' team at Geldards LLP is a highly visible presence in the market. Team head Paul Hopkins exemplifies the firm’s reputation as an ‘excellent choice for complex commercial litigation’, and regularly takes the lead in high-profile mandates, including those with multi-jurisdictional elements and liabilities overseas. Jonathan Griffiths handles a good deal of the public sector-related mandates and is noted for his judicial review expertise and public procurement prowess. Michael Evans also continues to impress, representing both public and private sector clients across a myriad matters, including his key role along with Hopkins in the firm’s recent notable work for the Welsh Ministers in its competition law claim brought against Servier.
‘An excellent choice for complex commercial litigation.’
‘They are personable, approachable and knowledgeable.’
‘Geldards has proved to be the most suited to us as a company. Presenting options instead of obstacles and having a 360 degree approach has been advantageous for us.’
‘Paul Hopkins is undoubtedly an excellent commercial litigator. Someone with tact and judgment and skilled, in particular, in handling multi-jurisdictional elements to a claim involving liabilities arising primarily overseas.’
‘Michael Evans and his team are diligent and thorough. Readily available to support, sometimes at short notice but still fully up to speed on the case.’
The Welsh Ministers (Welsh Government)
John Bean Technologies Europe
Jardine Norton Limited
RHP Merchants and Construction Limited
TBD (Owen Holland) Limited
Celsa (UK) Holdings Limited
Natural Resources Wales
Envases (UK) Limited
- Advising The Welsh Ministers and NHS in Wales in pursuing a substantial competition law claim against Servier SAS and others in relation to the drug Perindopril. The claim is linked to similar claims being pursued by the Secretary of State for Health and by the Scottish and Northern Irish Governments.
- Representing John Bean Technologies Europe in a multimillion- pound warranty claim arising from the purchase of PLF International Limited.
- Advising the Welsh Ministers and the Counsel General for Wales in pursuing an application for injunctive relief against the Official Receiver and Special Managers of Baglan Operations Limited (In Liquidation) in respect of the proposed termination of the electricity supply at Baglan Energy Park.
Led by the 'first-rate' Richard Locke, Hugh James provides 'really strong commercial advice' on behalf of regional and national public and private sector clients across the panoply of high-stakes commercial disputes. Locke's own practice, which frequently transcends disputes specific to the region and regularly includes cross-border facets, is emblematic of the scope of the team's overarching disputes offering, ranging as it does from shareholder litigation and IT disputes, through to professional negligence and mining disputes. The 'exceptionally clever' Tracey Singlehurst-Ward 'combines very strong legal ability and intelligence with an excellent strategic approach', particularly in the context of IP, media and sports-related disputes. 'Hugely bright and incredibly hardworking' senior associate Abigail Flanagan regularly takes the lead on complex litigation involving injunctive relief and is also noted for her pensions and professional negligence prowess.
‘The team is exceptionally professional.’
‘They have been extremely proactive in dealing with the case involved and kept me very much informed and part of the team throughout.’
‘The team provides really strong commercial advice, fighting tooth and tail for their client’s interests.’
‘Richard Locke – excellent team leader, great with clients, excellent judgment, first rate lawyer.’
‘Tracey Singlehurst-Ward – fantastic lawyer, exceptionally clever, extremely tough with opponents but brilliant with clients.’
‘Tracey Singlehurst-Ward combines very strong legal ability and intelligence with an excellent strategic approach.’
‘Abigail Flanagan really fights for her clients, is hugely bright and incredibly hardworking.’
Dwr Cymru Cyfyngedig – Welsh Water Plc
SJJ Service Systems Ltd and Mr Steve Jones (director shareholder)
Ceredigion Recycling and Furniture Team
Route Media Limited
Natural Resources Wales
Denbighshire County Council
Kenyan Rugby Football Union
Under the expert guidance of the 'superb' Hugh Hitchcock, Acuity Law's has rapidly grown in stature from its relatively humble beginnings in 2016 as a predominanty support service to existing corporate clients of the firm, to a fully fledged standalone practice which is gaining plaudits for its 'personal touch and attention to detail'. Although the firm is active for clients across a range of industry sectors, it has picked up a significant amount of financial services-related work, often facing off against high-profile London-based firms and has also recently gained increased exposure to high-profile arbitrations. The 'charming' Hitchcock is also noted for his shareholder disputes expertise (including in the context of unfair prejudice claims), as is co-head Aisha Wardell, whose expertise also includes IT and procurement-related litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has the utmost legal expertise with a commercial edge and always with the client’s interests at heart. Their personal touch and attention to detail have put them light years ahead of other litigation firms I have used over the years.’
‘The very personal and friendly attention of the appointed team makes the entire legal process feel like you are talking to friends not lawyers.‘
‘Hugh Hitchcock as the lead partner on litigation has always given the very best legal advice and gives close personal attention to his clients whether big or small.’
‘The superb Hugh Hitchcock is charming, always polite and a pleasure to interact with.’
Quantum Actuarial LLP
Red and Yellow Limited
R&Y NL Limited
Amber Infrastructure Limited
Portman Healthcare Limited
Your World Recruitment Limited
Futurelink Accountancy Services Limited
- Advised Loches Capital Limited on an application for pre-action disclosure and other related applications against Goldman Sachs International.
- Represented Trustees of Elim Gospel Alliance in a claim against Lloyds Bank Plc.
- Advised Red and Yellow Limited on a claim arising from a joint venture agreement.
Led by the 'very professional and efficient' Nick Parker, Berry Smith has a strong reputation among regional SMEs, high-net-worth individuals and public sector entities across a broad spectrum of disputes, from shareholder and commercial contract disputes, through to procurement challenges. Iwan Doull is 'very compassionate' and 'strategic', traits which he uses good effect across a range of conventional commercial litigation and in the context of after-the-event legal insurance coverage disputes.
‘We found the service provided by Berry Smith to be extremely professional.’
‘Nick Parker is very proffesional and efficient.’
‘Iwan Doull was very compassionate in the help he gave us, as it was a particularly emotional situation we had to deal with.’
‘Iwan Doull provides very strategic advice.’
Brit Insurance Ltd
The Welsh Government
Plaid Cymru (the Party of Wales)
Involve Recruitment Group of Companies
The Welsh Revenue Authority
Whitchurch High School
Arcis Biotechnology Holdings Ltd
Complete Co-Packaging Services Ltd
DS Smith Recycling and Packaging Ltd
The Police Federation of England and Wales
- Advised an Ultra-High-Net-Worth individual in a dispute with Aston Martin relating to the purchase of supercars worth £3.6m, which was heard under the rarely used Shortened Trial Scheme in the Commercial Court in London.
- Acted for ARAG Plc in a High Court claim for recovery of monies paid on behalf of its insured, with a related claim for professional negligence against a firm of solicitors, determined over trials over three separate hearings.
- Acting for the director and shareholder in an unfair prejudice shareholder dispute relating to a company manufacturing industrial conveyors.
With a strong offering out Swansea and Carmarthen, but by no means limited to handling cases in the local geographical proximity, the 'approachable and hardworking' team at Morgan LaRoche 'consistently deliver results to their clients'. A particular strength is the firm's ability to handle a wide range of disputes, as well its flexibility in matching the right lawyer/s to the severity of the case and thereby ensuring that costs are minimised. Jason Williams exemplifies the strength-in-depth ethos of the firm as a whole and has 'huge experience across the whole spectrum of commercial litigation' including shareholder and breach of warranty disputes, as well as commercial property/landlord and tenant disputes. Carmarthen-based Llyr Davies co-heads the team alongside Williams and is lauded as 'an absolute star' across a range of litigation, including contentious insolvency and unfair prejudice allegations. Davies' fluent Welsh language skills also endear him to many local West Wales businesses and he has effectively developed strong relationships in the area including with many professional services referrers. The 'well-organised and commercially-minded' Robert Davies and Gemma Thomas, who 'fights hard to win her clients' cases' are well regarded associates.
‘The team goes the extra mile, working exceptionally hard to help their clients solve their dispute.’
‘This is an excellent commercial litigation team, with lots of experience, great legal knowledge, and excellent client skills. In my experience, they consistently deliver results to their clients and understand their commercial objectives and concerns. A real class act.’
‘The team was very approachable and passionate about our case, they got under the skin of our company and tried to understand how we work in order to represent us in the strongest possible way.’
‘Their great strength is their flexibility. They handle a very wide range of cases and big, small or somewhere in between, they can give you the team and budget to match each one.’
‘Llyr Davies is an absolute star who is as adept at getting his head around the client’s commercial objectives as he is the trickier points of law.’
‘Jason Williams has huge experience across the whole spectrum of commercial litigation. He exemplifies the strength-in-depth ethos of the firm.’
‘Robert Davies is a well-organised and commercially-minded associate, who is an asset to the team.’
‘Gemma Thomas is an exceptional asset, fighting hard to win her clients’ cases.’
Cawdor Cars (Newcastle Emlyn) Limited
Llanelec Precision Engineering Limited
Mon Motor Group
MDW (Holdings) Limited
Neath Port Talbot (Recycling) Limited
- Successfully representing Neath Port Talbot (Recycling) Limited in a breach of contract claim concerning two substantial waste management and disposal contracts.
- Successfully representing tMDW (Holdings) Limited in a claim for breach of warranty, deceit and fraudulent misrepresentation concerning the sale of shares in a waste management/disposal company under a Share Purchase Agreement.
Ply-Tek (UK) Ltd
Skelton Thomas Engineering Ltd
E G Lewis & Company Ltd
Stones & Co
Nautilus Roofing & Exteriors Ltd
Craigdam Services Ltd
Haywood Homes (CR) Ltd
- Advising upon the recovery of preference payments immediately prior to the insolvency of a property development company.
Harding Evans LLP
The 'hardworking and committed' team at Newport-based Harding Evans LLP punches above its weight and provides a 'high-quality service' to a growing roster of regional clients (many with national reach) across a range of commercial litigation, as well as in niche areas, including sports matters and defamation. The 'imaginative and business-savvy' solicitor-advocate Ben Jenkins has wide-ranging litigation expertise and embodies the firm's trial-ready approach which has seen the firm be involved in several recent reported cases. William Watkins is 'tactically strong' and displays 'admirable clarity and precision' to general commercial litigation, as well as debt recovery work.
‘It is a good, imaginative team, capable of taking on better-known firms and exceeding the quality of their work.’
‘A great set of hardworking and committed lawyers. Their client care is exceptional and they deliver their high-quality service in a warm and friendly way which makes them a pleasure to work with.’
‘They will focus on the best commercial outcome and prioritise what’s best for the client.’
‘Ben Jenkins is imaginative, clever and business-savvy.’
‘Ben Jenkins is a brilliant lawyer with a talent for finding sensible and pragmatic solutions for his clients but without sacrificing his equally keen eye for detail.’
‘William Watkins has been leading the instruction and his team with admirable clarity and precision.’
‘William Watkins has a good work engine on him, thinks things through very thoroughly and tactically strong.’
‘Craig Court deserves a mention for his diligence and work ethos.’
Euro Foods Group
Water Treatment Products Limited
The London Trading Company (UK) Ltd
The Vale of Glamorgan Hotel Limited T/A The Vale Resort
Wet and Forget Limited
Landmark Entertainment Limited
Aspen Construction & Civil Engineering Limited
Arvans Civil Engineering Limited
Hughes Forrest Limited
- Successfully resolved a difficult matter for a food and drink wholesaler which had been misled into signing a contract with an electricity broker (claiming to be able to substantially reduce the costs of the company’s electricity bill) which, it transpired, had no licence to sell the electricty.
- Obtaining a judgment in excess of £1m in a complex commercial dispute and subsequently enforcing the judgment.
- Defending an action against a Public Limited Company and counterclaiming for sums totalling £400,000.
The 'very client-focused' team at JCP Solicitors provides 'top-notch' advice to regional SMEs/owner-managed businesses, as well as UK and international companies across a broad swathe of commercial litigation. The 'very dedicated' Andrew Meech 'goes above and beyond for clients' that include Italian sportswear manufacturer, Macron, which he advises on commercial contract disputes (as well as his core advisory work for the client on kit and sponsorship contractual work). Sophie Thomas co-heads the team with Meech and specialises on recoveries and professional liability work.
‘The very client-focused team builds excellent client relationships and trust.’
‘They are very professional and charge reasonable rates.’
‘Andrew Meech is really dedicated. Goes above and beyond for all his clients.’
‘Andrew Meech has always provided a service above and beyond what would normally be expected. From initial instruction, Andrew will always deal with the issue without delay.’
Dolmans provides 'pragmatic and cost-effective' advice to insurers on coverage disputes, as well as handling an increasing amount of general commercial litigation for its core public sector client base. 'Exceptional' team head Peter Bennett has 'superb analytical skills'.
‘They respond in a timely manner on every matter, and are proactive at all times, regularly communicating all developments and take the time to obtain informed instructions.’
‘They communicate in straight forward language which the clients understand whilst ensuring that the client feels confident that they are receiving the best possible, pragmatic advice.’
‘Whilst providing pragmatic and cost effective advice, when deployed on an adversarial matter, the team displays great advocacy skills.’
‘Peter Bennett is an exceptional solicitor and leader with superb analytical skills. He is tenacious, with the ability to get to grips with complex legal issues and present them in ways that clients understand.’
Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
AXA XL Insurance
Kudos Liability Adjusters
Led from Wrexham by Robert Williams, GHP Legal houses a number of solicitor advocates, ensuring that is well-placed to provide a cost-effective service to owner-managed businesses and SMEs throughout north and mid-Wales across the gamut of commercial litigation including as it relates to shareholder, general contract disputes and debt recovery. Williams also has niche professional negligence and contentious public procurement expertise.
- Contentious Probate matter involving several beneficiaries and whether a farming partnership existed between our client and the deceased. Claim was brought by the Executors for the court to make declarations with regards to the Estate. GHP successfully obtained settlement which recognised our client’s right as a Partner in the business and therefore was entitled to keep the assets
- GHP successfully removed the co-executor after it had been found she had fraudulently acquired over £100,000 prior to her Mother’s death. Settlement obtained where the entire estate went to our client
- A constructive trust claim. Claimant is arguing that the parties’ course of dealing in relation to the Property gave rise to a common intention constructive trust pursuant to which the Defendant as sole legal owner holds the Property on trust for themself and our client as beneficial tenants in common in equal shares. Our client will have to establish (a) that the respective parties shared a common intention to share the beneficial interest in the Property and (b) what beneficial interest they have. The court will adopt a holistic approach and will consider the parties’ whole course of dealing in relation to the Property. Listed in 2022.
Gomer Williams & Co
A 'brilliant civil litigation allrounder', Clare Tregoning heads up the team at Gomer Williams & Co and leads from the front across a range of matters for private individuals and SMEs/owner-managed businesses, including on general contract disputes and real estate litigation. Although Tregoning is undoubtedly the star turn within the group she also received support from more junior members of the team, who have, as a result of her 'superb mentoring', already gained a very strong grounding.
‘Diligent and timely responses coupled with erudite legal letters.’
‘A major strength within Gomer Williams is the mentoring and development that Clare Tregoning provides for the junior members of the team. This nurtures the Gomer Williams personnel and develops a department that includes qualified solicitors, trainee solicitors and paralegals, with expert knowledge.’
‘Clare Tregoning was great, personable, smart, punctual and considerate.’
‘Clare Tregoning is a brilliant civil litigation allrounder who is great with clients. ‘
Pushpinder and Catherine Mangat
Create FM Limited
Elim Trust Corporation
Hoyl Group Limited
Iterate Design Innovation Limited
- Advising a private company in relation to claims of defamation, malicious falsehood and conversion.
- Advising a private individual in relation to a repudiatory breach of a lease by a Building Society and a subsequent claim for damages.
- Advising a private company in relation to its claims against a previous employee forbreach of employment contract and unauthorised use of images belonging to the client.
Red Kite Law LLP
The 'young and dynamic' team at Red Kite Law LLP provides 'accessible, professional and timely advice' to corporates, private individuals and an increasing number of public sector entities (after the firm's successful inclusion on the NPS litigation panel). The team is also mindful of costs and often represents clients utilising a CFA in the right circumstances. 'Approachable, reliable and perceptive' team head Rhian Davies provides 'tailored, sensible solutions' to clients across a range of litigation, including shareholder and partnership disputes.
‘Red Kite has a young and dynamic team that are always engaging.’
‘The team is extremely effective at all levels of litigation, particularly at closing down potential issues in order to focus minds and achieve the best outcomes for clients.’
‘The practice provides easy accessible, professional and timely advice.’
‘Rhian Davies is very approachable, reliable and perceptive. She is very proficient in her approach and thorough in her analysis of issues.’
‘Rhian Davies is a great tactician who understands how to take the initiative.’
‘Rhian Davies is a sympathetic litigator. She applies her broad base of commercial litigation and construction experience to provide tailored, sensible solutions.’
Milford Haven Port Authority
Castell Howell Foods Limited
Bluestone Resorts Limited
Neal Remediation Limited
- Advised an equipment supplier in respect of anti-competitive conduct.
- Advised an educational body regarding a breach of a Collaboration Agreement.
- Advised a food supply company on a breach of contract claim.