New market player ANHISA is a boutique aviation and shipping firm housed in Ho Chi Minh City which began operations in July 2020. Overseen by managing partner Dang Viet Anh who left Dzungsrt & Associates LLC to form his own practice, the group has over two decades of expertise in this industry and handles all contentious shipping disputes and aviation work. The team is also includes Nguyen Le Quynh Chi and Do Minh Tu.
Firms in the Spotlight Shipping and aviation
Shipping and aviation in Vietnam
- Advised a Scottish ferry owner on the purchase of a ferry from a shipyard going through an insolvency process.
- Assisted a Malaysian shipowner funded by a Malaysian bank’s Singapore branch in a cross-border dispute arising from a shipbuilding contract with the price of over $60m.
- Assisted family members of a pilot who died in an aviation accident in the UK during his training to claim damages. The case is still ongoing.
Dzungsrt & Associates LLC handles the full scope of maritime issues, particularly noted for high-value disputes in both dry and wet shipping matters. Trang Vu is the key name in the team and has transactional expertise in this area.
‘The team gives quick and kind responses.’
Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers ' shipping practice handles a range of complex wet shipping matters and is able to leverage the maritime expertise of its Singapore office to handle cross-border disputes. Headed by managing partner Chau Huy Quang, the team is also experienced in vessel finance matters. Tran Thi Phuong Thao is recommended for transactional work in this space whilst new partner Logan Leung who co-heads the group is noted for his contentious litigation practice.
PetroVietnam Technical Services Corporation
- Advised the aerospace division of ST Engineering on its joint venture with Vietnam Airlines Engineering Company (VAECO) to establish a joint venture company to provide maintenance, repair and overhaul services.
The practice at Baker McKenzie handles high-value advisory work on all matters related to aviation and maritime disputes as well as a broader range of non-contentious work. The team has a strong cross-practice approach with its banking team and is overseen by experts Oanh Nguyen and Yee Chung Seck in Ho Chi Minh City.
EPLegal Limited handles the full gamut of shipping and aviation matters, with strength in cross-border financing and refinancing transactions spanning across Southeast Asia. Tony Nguyen heads the team which has both local and international clients including large Vietnamese businesses, handling disputes as well as non-contentious work. Annie Ngo is also a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
Vietjet Aviation Joint Stock Company
- Advising VietJet on its aircraft leases and sale and leaseback transactions.
The team at Frasers Law Company has experience handling a range of maritime and aviation instructions from clients. Practice head Mark Fraser and Justin Gisz provide advice on transactions, vessel and aircraft financing, as well a broader range of work acting for shipping industry clients.
Other key lawyers: