Allen & Overy LLP's footprint in the projects and energy arena sees it act for a wide variety of clients, including export credit agencies, multilateral agencies, private lenders, sponsors and service providers. Fielding an eight-strong team in Vietnam, it acts on projects, M&A and project finance transactions in areas such as power, oil and gas, mining, metals and minerals, and infrastructure. It is also increasingly prominent in the renewable energy arena, including onshore and offshore wind, solar and waste-to-energy projects. Managing partner Adam Moncrieff co-heads the practice with Duc Tran.
Projects and energy in Vietnam
Allen & Overy LLP
‘Excellent knowledge and networks within the power industry.’
‘A&O has done extraordinary work to support our renewable energy project financings from deal structuring to documentation and execution.‘
‘The whole team has been working hard professionally, so responsive (even in the night time) and solution-oriented.’
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC)
Korea Trade Insurance Corporation (K-sure)
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC)
Landesbank Baden-Wuerttemberg (LBBW)
Standard Chartered Bank
The Export-Import Bank of Korea (KEXIM)
- Advised the borrowers on a $173m green loan project financing package, arranged and syndicated by ADB, to build and operate three 48-MW wind farms totalling 144MW in Quang Tri Province, Vietnam.
- Advised Bangkok Bank PCL on funding in respect of a 29MW solar farm in Cam Hung, Ha Tinh province, Vietnam.
- Advised Siam Commercial Bank and Thailand Export-Import Bank on a loan to Gulf Tay Ninh 1 JSC in respect of a solar project.
Frasers Law Company has a strong pedigree in energy and infrastructure development and project finance transactions. Its work spans areas such as oil and gas, power, wind, solar, telecoms and ports, among others. Recent mandates included assisting Vina Capital with its $3bn co-investment with GS Energy in an LNG power generation facility; Justin Gisz is leading the advice to the client in this matter. He co-heads the practice with founding partner Mark Fraser, who is active in both traditional and renewable energy projects. Senior associate Nguyen Mai Phuong joined from Hogan Lovells International LLP in December 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very thorough knowledge and advice on the Vietnamese legal and regulatory position and a very methodical approach to setting out that advice.’
‘Mark Fraser runs a well-organised team and he is very hands-on and responsive.’
‘Very responsive and fast acting.’
‘Mark Fraser is outstanding.’
Asian Development Bank
JBIC and KEXIM
- Advising VinaCapital on its co-investment (alongside GS Energy) in a $3bn 3GW LNG-fired power station, to be located in Long An province, Vietnam.
- Advised ADB on its financing and re-financing of two B.Grimm-sponsored PV solar projects in Vietnam.
- Advised JBIC and KEXIM on their financing of the $2.4bn, 1,200MW Nghi Son 2 power station, including a number of re-structuring transactions implemented during 2020.
Lexcomm Vietnam LLC has a strong track record advising on upstream oil and gas and LNG projects and project finance transactions. The team has additional strengths in advising on renewable energy, petrochemicals and mining matters. Clients include banks and international energy companies. Managing partner Pham Ba Linh, who is based in Ho Chi Minh City, co-heads the practice with Hanoi-based partner Nguyen Viet Ha.
‘Generally very knowledgeable about Vietnam law and practice.’
‘Pham Ba Linh has excellent instincts and is very responsive and commercially-minded.’
‘High profile and seems to publish a lot.’
‘LEXCOMM provide a multi-subsector service. We particularly like their responsiveness and their adaptability on fees.’
‘Pham Ba Linh is our key contact there. He is very easy to deal with and provides a good amount of partner support on transactions.’
‘They are excellent. Very commercial and have a good grasp of the political vibe behind major infrastructure projects.’
‘Pham Ba Linh is an absolute star. He has the commercial know-how to get the deal done.’
‘We highly recommend Ba Linh for his wealth of transactional and regulatory experience and expertise across the energy value chain in complex upstream and midstream gas infrastructure, liquefied natural gas (LNG), refining and petrochemicals, LNG-to power projects in Vietnam.’
Eni Vietnam B.V.
POSCO Engineering & Construction
Thai Oil Public Company Limited
Nghi Son Refinery and Petrochemical LLC
Dubai Ports (DP) World
Korean National Oil Corporation (KNOC)
Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO)
Premier Oil Vietnam Offshore B.V.
- Advising Hibiscus Petroleum Bhd on the Vietnam law aspects of its acquisition of Repsol Exploración, S.A.’s upstream oil and gas assets in Malaysia and Vietnam.
- Advising NSRP on highly complex project financing issues for a landmarkVietnam oil refinery project.
- Advised confidential international energy companies in relation to two land-based multibillion-dollar integrated LNG-to-power projects.
VILAF handles some of the biggest projects in the market, particularly in relation to LNG, renewable energy and power projects. The team includes Hanoi-based partners Phong Tran and Anh Dang , both of whom are highly skilled in assisting overseas investors with the financing aspects of energy and infrastructure projects. The co-head the practice with Duyen Ha Vo, who is based in Ho Chi Minh City, and focuses on corporate transactions and joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very knowledgeable about the sector. They gave us the full picture of the issue, possible solutions (with analysis) and are quite flexible in billing. Meeting deadlines is a strength as well.‘
‘They are so professional individually, being specialized in the energy sector.’
‘In-depth and practical advice.’
‘Very deep and knowledgeable team at Vilaf.’
SCG Chemicals and Long Son Petrochemicals
Toyota Tsusho Corporation
Armstrong Asset Management Pte. Ltd.
Trina Solar Investment Pte. Ltd.
B.Grimm Power Public Company Limited
- Advised Marubeni on the development of the Omon II 750MW Gas Fired Power Project
- Advised SCG Chemicals on the development, financing and derivative transactions of $5.4bn Long Son Petrochemicals Project.
- Advised Toyota on the acquisition of 35% of the shares of VINACONEX in Northern Electricity Development and Investment JSC No. 2.
YKVN's standing in the market sees its team act as counsel to key stakeholders in major projects in Vietnam, including lenders, investors and developers. Managing partner Truong Nhat Quang heads up the group, whose work spans areas such as power, renewable energy, petroleum and mining. Quang has an excellent reputation in banking and capital markets transactions, as well as M&A. Other key individuals in Quang's team include Duong Thu Ha and Vu Dzung.
Export-Import Bank of Thailand (Eximbank Thailand)
Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam (BIDV)
China Huadian Engineering Company Ltd.
- Advised China Huadian Engineering Corporation on financing a coal-fired power plant.
- Advised Eximbank Thailand on the loan to be granted by Eximbank Thailand and BIDV to Phu Khanh Solar Power Joint Stock Company.
- Advising CHEC, one of the largest state-owned energy companies in China, on the acquisition of controlling interests in four wind power plants in Dak Lak Province, Vietnam.
Allens has been active in landmark energy and infrastructure projects in Vietnam for almost 30 years. It made a significant investment in its team by hiring practice head Giles Cooper from Duane Morris in March 2021. He has over 20 years of experience in energy, infrastructure development and M&A, and is particularly active in the renewable energy sphere. Melissa Keane relocated to the firm’s Melbourne office. In another development, Bill Magennis has retired. The firm is associated with Linklaters LLP and as such is able to draw upon its extensive network.
Mitsui Oil Exploration Company
PTT Exploration and Production ExxonMobil
Vung Ang II Thermal Power JSC (CLP and Mitsubishi)
Vinh Tan 3 Energy
Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited (BBL)
- Advising MOECO on the development of the Block B and Block 52 Gas Discovery, a mega offshore natural gas project.
- Advising the sponsors and the project company on the establishment of a thermalpower plant.
- Advised BBL on the hybrid corporate and limited recourse project financing for two 30MW solar power projects.
Baker McKenzie is prominent in significant power, energy and infrastructure projects across Vietnam. It generates mandates from a number of key clients, including sponsors, developers, government bodies and contractors. Oanh Nguyen has almost 25 years of experience advising clients on project structures and related financing issues. Another key individual is special counsel Thanh Hai Nguyen, who advises on project development, construction and operational aspects of power, energy and infrastructure projects. Both lawyers co-head the practice with Lan Phuong Nguyen, who has expertise in matters relating to the renewables sector. Frederick Burke is now a senior adviser to the Vietnam offices. Chi Lieu Dang joined DNA Vietnam LLC.
‘Great insight on regulatory energy matters.’
‘Baker Mckenzie is a respectable legal practice and provides good services. BM is one of the more established international legal practices active in the power sector of Vietnam.’
‘I have worked with Thanh Hai Nguyen on advisory matters relating to power project development in the renewable space. Hai is knowledgeable and is able to provide good advice in these areas. He is also very responsive to ad-hoc requests from time to time.’
‘The energy team, especially Mr Hai, understands issues concerning the renewable energy industry well. He is also able to understand the client’s requirements and is able to address them effectively and succinctly.‘
Phong Anh Hoang and senior adviser Dave Seibert co-head DFDL Legal & Tax's team of energy, infrastructure and project finance experts, which has a significant foothold in the renewable energy sector, with it advising on solar, wind and waste-to-energy projects. In addition, it is also equipped to handle mining and infrastructure projects. The firm acts for clients such as project developers, sponsors, financiers and international investors, among others. Hoang is experienced in acting for both sponsors and the Vietnamese government on BOT power plant projects. Also notable is that the firm is able to leverage its cross-office network in frontier markets to handle projects with a cross-border dimension. In addition to being instructed by clients on a standalone basis, it also generates a significant volume of mandates from domestic and international law firms. Kevin Hawkins joined from ZICO Law in January 2021.
Standard Chartered Bank
Banpu Public Company Limited
Sunseap Commercial & Industrial Assets
- Advised Cleantech as project sponsors on rooftop solar deployments in Vietnam.
- Advised Grimm Power in relation to an offshore and onshore syndicated loan provided by ADB to a post-COD 257 MW solar energy plant in Vietnam.
- Advised Banpu Public Company Limited on acquiring 100% of charter capital in El-wind Mui Dinh Ltd.
Duane Morris Vietnam LLC's team has a standout reputation in power projects involving clean and renewable energy, but it also excels in projects and infrastructure matters in the oil and gas, infrastructure, mining and telecoms industries. The group provides the full spectrum of advice to clients, including project development, joint ventures, financing, syndication and management. Firm chairperson Nguyen Thi Lang co-heads the team with Oliver Massmann. Giles Cooper joined Allens.
‘Duane Morris has an experience and professional team with excellent negotiation skills.’
‘We have been using the services of Duane Morris for several years. Their services are efficient and trustworthy. We especially appreciate the support from Ms. Lang. She is always provides innovative solutions to resolve all our legal issues.’
Ca Mau 1A Energy JSC
Energy Capital Vietnam
Epping Green Energy GmbH
MITSUI & CO.
EnbW Energie Baden – Wuerttemberg AG
Petrovietnam Technical Services Corporation (PTSC)
Ca Mau 1A Energy JSC
Energy Capital Vietnam
Epping Green Energy GmbH
EnbW Energie Baden – Wuerttemberg AG
Petrovietnam Technical Services Corporation (PTSC)
- Advised Ca Mau with regard to a 350 MW offshore wind farm.
- Advised Petrovietnam Technical Services Corporation on a number of gas, power and service port matters.
- Advised Epping Green Energy on due diligence for a solar project.
At Hogan Lovells International LLP, Singapore-based partner Samantha Campbell heads up the firm's Vietnam practice and oversees the firm's involvement in development projects there, in addition to being active in matters further afield. Her industry experience covers power, oil and gas, mining and water, among other areas. Campbell works with senior associate Long Huynh, who is based in Ho Chi Minh City, and provides on-the-ground support.
Delta Offshore Energy
Super Solar Energy Co., Ltd.
- Advised Delta Offshore Energy on all aspects for its project to develop a 3,200 MW LNG-to-power plant.
- Advised Norway-based SN Power on the acquisition of a 100% stake in the 39.4MW Dam Nai wind power project in Ninh Thuan province, Vietnam.
- Advised Super Solar Energy, a subsidiary of Super Energy Corporation, on the divestment of its interests in the Sinenergy Ninh Thuan I solar power plant in Vietnam.
Under the joint leadership of Quang H. Trinh and Huynh Nguyen, ATIM's team excels at advising clients on all the key aspects of large projects, including development, finance, construction, transactional and regulatory issues. Its work covers a wide variety of energy, natural resources and infrastructure projects, including oil and gas, renewable and alternative energy, roads and railways.
Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C.
Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C. is active in both renewable and non-renewable energy projects, especially in relation to LNG, solar power and coal- fired power plants. The firm's strong credentials in handling development-related issues are complemented by its strengths in related project finance transactions. Nicholas Audier leads the team, which includes Etienne Laumonier, Bernadette Fahy (who has particular expertise in construction disputes) and Nicolas Picard.
- Assisting a key player in the industry with the structuring of its activities in the solar power energy, including a broad range of products from rooftop structure to large-scale solar power plants.
- Assisting a key player in the industry with launching the operation of a photovoltaic (PV) power plant in the South of Vietnam.
Oil and gas work has been a mainstay at EPLegal Limited, having initially set up as an oil and gas boutique in 2009. It has also branched out into advising clients on renewable energy and infrastructure projects. Tony Nguyen has extensive experience of advising on the financing of corporate transactions relating to major drilling projects. He co-heads the practice with Annie Ngo, who focuses on contractual issues involving procurement and supply chain management.
‘I have recently worked with EPLegal and highly appreciated its ample expertise, as well as its high level of commitment to clients. EPLegal’s team has a wealth of experience within the field of projects and energy, and it utilizes many outstanding, creative and safe legal solutions. EPLegal is well-connected with firms and experts from UK, US and Asia, and can connect with them anytime the client needs assistance.‘
‘Tony Nguyen is a true expert in the field of energy. He is responsive and skilled in this field, and by providing a flexible service, he exhibits a unique problem-solving expertise. His brilliant ideas have always made our organization satisfied. He is intelligent, well-organized and has a positive attitude.‘
Binh Son Refining & Petrochemical Joint Stock Company
PVGAS LNG – PetroVietnam Gas Corporation
HydroChina ZhongNan Engineering Corporation
PTSC Production Services Joint Stock Company
- Advised Binh Son Refining & Petrochemical Joint Stock Company on terms and conditions of the draft of crude oil purchase agreements with overseas suppliers
- Issued reports of due diligence for HydroChina ZhongNan Engineering Corporation for the purpose of developing wind power projects
- Advised PetroVietnam Gas Corporation on the draft on terms and conditions of LNG master agreements.
LNT & Partners demonstrates strong credentials in major energy and infrastructure projects in Vietnam, as is reflected by the fact that it acts for domestic and international companies, as well as sponsors, on their most strategically significant mandates. Net Le and Minh Vu co-head the team, which is knowledgeable about all the intricacies of projects, including risk analysis, project structuring, financing, title acquisitions and dispute resolution. Recent mandates spanned areas such as oil and gas, renewable energy (including wind and solar) and railways.
‘Young dedicated team and hard working are words I would like to use to describe about LNT.’
‘I highly appreciate Mr Net Le’s positive energy, willing to serve clients and his flexibility at work. It helps our work run smoothly.‘
‘I am very impressed with LNT’s dedication, professionalism and unique combination of legal expertise and industry knowledge in the energy market. They are excellent at identifying risks with energy projects, and come forward with the most creative and elegant solutions. I also appreciate their openness and availability.’
‘They are legally proficient and commercially minded, and have excellent knowledge of both specific regulations and practices in the oil and gas industry. Their advice to us has been clear and helpful. Their team is especially open, and communications between us and their team is always very close. We can consult them on any problem within our business at any time, which we highly appreciate.’
‘I often work with partner Minh Vu. She has an excellent combination of dedication, cautiousness and pragmatism, and has an excellent nose for risks. Her advice is always on point and provides valuable insights.’
‘We were especially impressed by Dr. Net Le, who commanded excellent technical knowledge and commercial sense. His advice to us was often spot on, and he knew how to navigate a difficult negotiations process.’
PetroVietnam Gas Joint Stock Corporation
Petrovietnam Power Corporation
Vietnam Oil and Gas Group
- Advised PV Power in EPC contract for combined cycle LNG power project Nhon Trach 3 & 4 fortotal capacity of 1.5 GW.
- Advised Petro Vietnam on the negotiation of an offtake agreement with Nghi Son Refineryand Petrochemical LLC.
- Advised PVGAS on the termsheet and JVA with AES Corporation to develop the Son My LNGterminal project.
Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers is at the forefront of advice to foreign investors investing in Vietnam's growing clean energy industry. Practice head Vu Thi Que is experienced in advising investors from China, Taiwan and Japan. The team, which includes recently promoted special counsel, also demonstrates regulatory and projects expertise in the oil and gas industry. Nguyen Dinh Nha is a project finance expert. Trinh Minh Duc made partner.
Tilleke & Gibbins is heavily involved in energy, infrastructure and telecoms projects throughout Southeast Asia. It provides a comprehensive service to clients on all stages of projects, including bids and procurement processes for public-private partnerships, financing and construction, as well as ongoing support on investments. Vinh Quoc Nguyen heads up the team, which includes senior associate Waewpen Piemwichai.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised a Thai-based energy renewable energy consulting company on regulatory requirements for providing construction-related services in Vietnam.
- Assisted a Middle Eastern power company with negotiating and finalising loan and security agreements with two local Vietnamese banks.
- Assisting the Hong Kong and Vietnam subsidiaries of a foreign telecommunications company with provision of their integrated communication services and infrastructure to customers in Vietnam.
Vision & Associates has a strong offering in relation to major development projects, with its group assisting clients with project structuring and documentation, as well as related finance arrangements. Its work covers a number of subsets of the energy sector, including oil and gas, nuclear energy, wind power, solar power and waste-to-energy. It also acts for clients on matters with a nexus to the transport and real estate industries. Leading the team are Pham Nghiem Xuan Bac and Luu Tien Ngoc.
Baker Hughes Services Pte. Ltd.
China Development Bank
Actr Company Limited
Industrial And Commercial Bank Of China Limited
The World Bank
Tht Development Co., Ltd.
Garmuda Land Vietnam
Carl Zeiss Pte. Ltd.
Diebold Nixdorf Vietnam Co., Ltd.
Bac Lieu Us Energy Joint Stock Company
Ct Land Joint Stock Company
Ct Management Joint Stock Company
Housing And Urban Development Corporation
Halcom Vietnam Joint Stock Company
Global Technology Joint Stock Company
Marina Hotel Joint Stock Company
- Advised Ocean Group on supply contracts for a wind energy project.
- Advised Baker Hughes on licensing issues surrounding an oil and gas field.
- Advised ENI on employment issues.
ZICO Law's practice covers a multitude of subsets of the energy and infrastructure space, including oil and gas, power, water and wastewater, as well as highways and airports. It has had a notable uptick in mandates connected with renewable energy, with there being a significant increase in investment activity in this space. Elsewhere, the firm's involvement in large-scale infrastructure projects and finance transactions is also on the increase. Hanoi-based managing partner Phuong Nguyen jointly leads the practice with Tay Zi Li, who is based in Ho Chi Minh City.
Sotetsu Holdings Limited
Jinko Solar Holding Co Ltd
Swire Properties Limited
The Export-Import Bank of China (CEXIM)
Savills Vietnam Ltd
- Advising a Chinese contractor based in Shandong with the application of the Construction Activities Licence (“CAL”) and the registration of the project management office(“PMO”) for a EPC project (“Project”) 300MW wind power project.
- Advising Sunon (Hongkong) International Co., Ltd. on a proposed acquisition of 90% of shares of An Khanh Thermal Power Joint Stock Company.
- Advising TNB Renewables Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tenaga Nasional Berhad on a proposed acquisition of part of the shares of Sunseap Sun Times Solar Investment JSC.