Clifford Chance's Vietnam practice is jointly led by Singapore-based Fergus Evans and Ross Howard, and handles cross-border M&A transactions and large financing projects. The team has an international client base which includes financial institutions and investors operating in the energy sector. Hans Menski in Tokyo is the name for energy mandates, whilst Valerie Kong in Singapore is a the corporate specialist in the group.
Foreign desks in Vietnam
Latham & Watkins LLP has strength in high-value corporate transactions for large Vietnamese-owned companies and foreign investors. Hong Kong-based Amy Beckingham advises on multi-million-dollar investments and joint venture matters as well as private equity IPO exits, whilst Sharon Lau in Singapore who serves at the firm's global chair of corporate, handles international deals.
Vingroup, Vinhomes Joint Stock Company, Vincommerce, Vincom Retail
Vietnam Technological and Commercial Joint Stock Bank (Techcombank)
Lodgis Hospitality Holdings Pte. Ltd.
BW Industrial Development Joint Stock Company (BWID)
Instant Holdings SG Pte. Ltd.
Innovative Diagnostics Private Limited
Quantum Diagnostics Sdn. Bhd.
KEXIM (The Export-Import Bank of Korea)
K-sure (Korea Trade Insurance Corporation)
- Advised on the acquisition by HLT Healthcare, a joint venture created by TPG Capital and Hong Leong, of Columbia Asia Healthcare.
- Advised on the structured minority investment in Vincommerce, a Vietnam-based conglomerate focusing on real estate development.
- Advised Lodgis Hospitality Holdings, a portfolio company of Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of approximately 64.99% of shares in ACDL, a Canada-based real estate company.
Linklaters has a strong regional presence bolstered by its alliance with Allens, and offers clients Vietnamese-related expertise from its offices in Singapore and Bangkok. Singapore-based Christopher Bradley is highlighted for his banking expertise, particularly leveraged financing matters, whilst Stuart Salt in Hong Kong is the key name for projects, excelling in renewable energy work. Also in Hong Kong, is the firm's global head of corporate M&A Matthew Middleditch , who has experience in bancassurance transactions in the Vietnamese market. The team has vast expertise located in project financing, handling high-value development projects for clients. Over in Bangkok, Wanwisar Nakarat leads on complex cross-border transactions and is noted for work in the renewable space.
Other key lawyers:
Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited
KASIKORNBANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED
United Overseas Bank (Thai) Public Company Limited
RATCH Group Public Company Limited
Gunkul Engineering Public Company Limited
Banpu Power Public Company Limited
Vinh Tan 3 Energy Joint Stock Company
Vung Ang II Thermal Power Joint Stock Company
CITIC CLSA Capital Markets Limited
Southeast Asia Commercial Joint Stock Bank (SeABank)
Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam (Vietcombank)
China Merchant Port
CLP Holdings Ltd
JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A.
- Advised Southeast Asia Commercial Joint Stock Bank (SeABank) on the entry into an exclusive bancassurance partnership with Prudential Vietnam.
- Advising the sponsors and project company on the ongoing development, construction, operation and financing of the 1,200MW Vung Ang II Thermal Power Project, an imported coal BOT project in Ha Thinh province in Vietnam.
- Advising RATCH Group Public Company Limited in connection with its proposed indirect acquisition of 45% economic benefits and voting rights in Thang Long Power Plant JSC.
DLA Piper's Vietnam group is experienced in handling cross-border transactions across the projects, real estate, and capital markets space. Led by Tokyo-based managing partner Lance Miller, the practice advises major Vietnamese clients and multinational companies on acquisition matters, restructuring mandates, and investments. Singapore based Joe Bauerschmidt focuses on upstream energy, oil & gas transactions and more general corporate work for Asian clients. Also in Singapore is English and New York-qualified lawyer Philip Lee who joined last year from Herbert Smith Freehills. Lee handles debt capital markets mandates across Southeast Asia.
VinFast Trading & Production Limited
VinGroup Joint Stock Company
- Advised RedDoorz on its $70m Series C funding round led by Asia Partners, immediately after representing RedDoorz in its $45 million Series C led by Qiming Ventures.
- Advised Moet Hennessy on combating parallel importation of Moet and Hennessy products into and Vietnam.
White & Case Pte. Ltd. has an extensive Vietnam practice with broad expertise across banking and finance, projects and energy as well as big-ticket corporate transactions. Overseen by private equity partner Jon Bowden, the group handles heavyweight M&A for Vietnamese clients, international trade matters for tech clients, and is able to leverage its international offering to handle cross-border matters across Asia. The team has been bolstered by the arrival of new finance partner Charles McConnell in Singapore who joins as a lateral hire from Linklaters. Other names familiar with Vietnamese work include Samuel Scoles and Tokyo-based Simon Collins.
Pacific Century Group Holdings
- Represented VinaCapital on a joint venture between VinaCapital and a Thai conglomerate to establish a co-investment platform for private equity investments in Vietnam.
Milbank's Vietnam group has considerable expertise in handling high-value pan-Asian transactions across the corporate finance, private equity, project finance and capital markets spaces. Key partner Jacqueline Chan in Singapore oversees the practice with co-head James Grandolfo in Hong Kong. The group has heavy banking and finance expertise and acts for both lenders and borrowers.
Son Kim Land Corporation
- Advised Son Kim Land Corporation in connection with its latest drawdown under a $116.4m convertible loan agreement originally entered into in 2016.
- Advised Son Kim Land Corporation in connection with its concurrent $13.5m loan from Credit Suisse.
Shearman & Sterling LLP handles large project financing, capital markets and M&A work, with particular expertise in the energy sector. The Singapore-based team includes Ben Shorten, head of capital markets Andrew Schleider, and Daryl Chew; the trio of partners handle high-value project refinancing mandates and advise both lenders and sponsors on transactions. Bill McCormack has over two decades of experience in the Asian markets, whilst New York-qualified Xiaogang (Sean) Wang in Hong Kong assists Chinese clients.
Mong Duong Finance Holdings B.V.
China Development Bank
- Represented Mong Duong Finance Holdings B.V. in its offering of $678.5m 5.125% senior secured notes due 2029 and execution of a $402.7m senior secured loan facility provided by an international syndicate of commercial bank lenders.
- Acted as lenders counsel advising a group of PRC lenders in connection with the financing to the 2 x 554.7 MW coal-fired power project to be built and located in Hai Hau District, Nam Dinh Province, Vietnam.
Stephenson Harwood LLP's Vietnam practice has experience advising on a number of high-value Vietnamese matters across the banking, projects and energy, and real estate sector. Led out of Singapore, Tom Platts advises on cross-border transactions and has experience on the ground in Myanmar. George Cyriac is a private equity partner and Saugata Mukherjee advises banks on financing transactions.
Vietnam Holding Limited
KLW Holdings Limited
- Advised Vietnam Holding Limited on its move-up from AIM to the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange and the migration of its corporate jurisdiction from the Cayman Islands to Guernsey.
- Advised Ringier AG on the disposal of its and Information Matrix Company Limited’s interests in RIM Lifestyle Company Limited (RIM), to Myanmar ComBiz Holdings Limited, a member of the Myanmar ComBiz conglomerate.