Foreign desks in Vietnam
Linklaters has Vietnam expertise in Hong Kong and Bangkok, sitting alongside on top of the access to the Vietnamese offices of Allens, which the firm is in a global alliance with. Christopher Bradley in Singapore is noted for his banking expertise, along with the global head of project finance Stuart Salt, energy and infrastructure expert James McLaren and capital markets specialist Jonathan Horan. The group has considerable experience located in the energy and gas sector, bringing together a cross-border team undertaking advisory work to major financial institutions. The group has strengthened its partnership in Singapore with Amit Singh, who joined from Allen & Overy. Away from Singapore, finance specialist Wanwisar Nakarat in Bangkok is also notable for Vietnamese-related work.
Christopher Bradley; Stuart Salt; James McLaren
Standard Chartered Bank
United Overseas Bank
The Bank of East Asia
- Advising the sponsors and project company on the 1800MW Vinh Tan 3 Thermal Power Project.
- Advising the sponsors and project company in relation to the 1200MW Vung Ahn II Thermal Power Project.
Clifford Chance has a substantial Vietnam practice, with cross-sector expertise covering banking, M&A and asset financing matters. The team is headed by Singapore-based duo Fergus Evans and Ross Howard, who have specialisms in project financing for large international clients, and undertake advisory work for major financial institutions. Other names include M&A specialist Valerie Kong, and away from Singapore Hans Menski in Tokyo is the name to note for energy maters. Andrew Gambarini has retired.
Fergus Evans; Ross Howard
Bangkok Bank PCL
Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
DVB Bank S.E.
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
The Export-Import Bank of Korea
- Advised Golden Springs Group on its sale of a majority stake in Gold Coin, one of the largest animal feed manufacturers in Asia, to Pilmico International Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of Aboitiz Equity Ventures at an implied valuation of $550m
- Advised Bangkok Bank on a $150m financing of a solar project in Vietnam.
- Advised Japan Bank for International Co-operation on a $2.5bn financing of the 1.2GW Nghi Son coal-fired power station.
- Advised CIC Asia Pacific on the financing and leasing of anew Airbus A321 to Novus, to in turn be leased to VietJet.
Latham & Watkins LLP undertakes complex, large and high-profile transactions for state-owned entities, foreign investors and private equity firms. Sharon Lau in Singapore has been acting for leading Vietnamese conglomerates and its subsidiaries on high-value acquisition matters. Amy Beckingham in Hong Kong's work load includes capital markets, public and private M&A, and joint ventures.
Sharon Lau; Amy Beckingham
Vietnam Technological and Commercial Joint Stock Bank (Techcombank)
- Advised Techcombank on its IPO on the Ho Chi Minh City Stock Exchange.
- Advised Vinhomes on its offering of shares on Ho Chi Minh City Stock Exchange (HOSE).
- Advised Vingroup a proposed issuance of convertible dividend preference shares by way of private placement to Hanwha Asset Management.
- Advised Credit Suisse and Viet Capital as placement agents and joint managers on the private placement by KKR of its shares in Masan Group on the Ho Chi Minh City Stock Exchange (HOSE).
- Advised Warburg Pincus on its purchase of shares in MoMo for $69m.
The 'strong and client-focused' Vietnam team at DLA Piper, which is led by Lance Miller in Tokyo, handles a wide array of sector strengths in financial services, commodities and advisory work related to manufacturing. Joe Bauerschmidt in Singapore advises large clients from the region on corporate matters, and in Seoul the team has been strengthened by the recruitment of debt capital markets expert Philip Lee from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP.
- Advised the automotive subsidiary of Vietnam’s largest real estate conglomerate (VinGroup) on purchasing General Motors’ Hanoi factory and dealer network.
- Advising hotel booking app RedDoorz, which operates in Vietnam among other jurisdictions, on a $11m Series B financing led by Qiming Ventures.
Milbank handles corporate finance, private equity and M&A deals for clients including major financial institutions and national airlines. The team is overseen by Jacqueline Chan in Singapore, who has vast international debt restructuring expertise, while in Hong Kong James Grandolfo has over two decades of experience undertaking advisory work for Asian clients. Aled Davies in Tokyo specialises in large-sale project and energy matters.
Jacqueline Chan; James Grandolfo
Other key lawyers:
Shearman & Sterling LLP has expertise in the oil, gas and energy space with Singapore-based partners Ben Shorten and Bill McCormack. In Hong Kong, Xiaogang (Sean) Wang is experienced in project finance and also handles M&A deals in the energy sector.
Ben Shorten; Bill McCormack
Other key lawyers:
- Shearman & Sterling is advising the lenders (including CDB) in relation to the development and financing of the US$2 billion Vinh Tan 3 project in Vietnam, to be developed by China Light and Power and Mitsubishi Corporation.