Baker McKenzie has been notably active in handling intellectual property cases recently, including matters concerning trade secret infringements, patent enforcement and copyright infringement. Hanoi-based partner Minh Tri Quach leads the team, whose other areas of expertise antitrust, banking, construction, commercial and public law matters. In Ho Chi Minh City, Quy Hoai Nguyen's experience includes marine and property insurance, construction and insurance disputes. Frederick Burke now serves as a senior adviser to the Vietnam offices.
Dispute resolution: litigation in Vietnam
‘Baker McKenzie has a team which is friendly, diligent and cares for the interests of the client.’
VILAF's varied workload includes insurance claims, as well as contentious matters relating to construction contracts, commercial agreements and IP infringements. One of the names to note at the firm is managing partner Tung Ngo, who has experience of acting for clients from sectors such as real estate, insurance and shipping. He co-heads the practice with Linh D. Nguyen, who has a strong track record in landmark litigation cases. Also recommended are Quynh Pham and Hien Tran.
Keangnam Enterprises Ltd.
Mondelez International AMEA Pte Ltd and Mondelez Kinh Do Vietnam Joint Stock Company
ASK International Co., Ltd.
Dubai Aerospace Enterprise Ltd.
3A Nutrition (Vietnam) Company Limited
Pegas Vietnam Company Ltd.
Lucky Communication Equipment Import Export Corporation
Magnussen Logistics Co., Ltd.
- Advised Keangnam Enterprises Ltd. in relation to a dispute with AON Vietnam in an EPC contract.
- Advises Mondelez on IP infirngement issues.
- Advised ASK International on a copyright license dispute.
YKVN fields a 15-strong litigation team, which is prominent in a broad cross-section of complex mandates. Luu Tien Dzung is experienced in handling multimillion-dollar contractual and foreign trade disputes before the Vietnamese courts. His client roster includes state-owned, domestic and international companies. Another key individual is Truong Trong Nghia, who undertakes a mix of domestic and cross-border litigation. In 2020, he led the advice to the former minister of the Ministry of Transport on a white-collar crime case concerning the transfer of toll rights of the Ho Chi Minh-Trung Luong Expressway project.
Other key lawyers:
Bachy Soletanche Vietnam Co., Ltd
Mr. Dinh La Thang – former Minister of the Ministry of Transport
Mr. Nguyen Duc Chung – Former Chairman of the People’s Committee of Ha Noi City
- Represented Bachy Soletanche Vietnam under the appellate proceeding involving a construction dispute.
- Advised a former Minister of Transport in a white-collar crime case in relation to the transfer of toll rights of the Ho Chi Minh – Trung Luong Expressway project.
- Advised Kim Oanh Real Estate on a purchase and sale agreement dispute.
Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers has a strong track record in real estate and construction disputes, with other core strengths including logistics, manufacturing, consumer goods and insurance cases. Managing partner Chau Huy Quang has experience of construction and foreign investment matters, among other areas. Senior associate Quach Vu An Khoa is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Tilleke & Gibbins is particularly active in IP disputes, and it has a notable strength in enforcement matters against counterfeiters and infringers; the team includes Loc Xuan Le, who heads up the IP enforcement team in Hanoi, and also excels in domain name disputes. Elsewhere, the firm acts for clients in contentious labour and employment cases, as well as commercial litigation, including contractual disputes. Thomas Treutler, who is the managing director of the firm's Vietnam offices, is another active practitioner. Counsel Sarah Galeski joined from KPMG Law in Vietnam.
‘Besides deep knowledge and local intelligence of T&G lawyers, their team work and their responsive communication helps proceedings move to a close. This is very important for clients.‘
Merck, Sharp & Dohme
- Assisted a multinational life sciences company with successfully negotiating the mutual termination of the contract of its general director due to Covid-related regional restructuring.
- Assisted a Thai insulation manufacturer with reaching a successful amicable settlement in a dispute over a goods distribution contract.
- Won a court case forcing a trademark infringer to cease infringement and change its company name, along with paying damages and legal fees.
ATIM is a strong choice for advice on a wide range of business and company matters, such as disputes over commercial contracts, partnerships, tax issues, joint ventures and post-M&A matters. In addition, the team advises on contentious employment matters, as well as civil disputes between private parties over land and succession issues. The main contacts at the firm are Quang H. Trinh, Tien Nguyen, Hien Nguyen and Huynh Nguyen.
‘Highly professional team, well connected and locally respected, able to engage the opposing party and seek resolutions. Also very respected by courts and academia.’
‘Dedication, attention, commitment.’
ATS Law Firm's team is highly skilled in disputes arising from commercial contracts and transactions, as well as labour matters, criminal cases and conflicts between shareholders and companies. Managing partner Vu Thi Thu Ha has a strong profile among international clients. She is supported by former judge Tran Hong Nhan.
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly knowledgeable, Most relevant yet precise advice & very prompt legal advice.’
‘Working with Ms. Ha was an excellent experience. Her negotiation skills are worth noting.’
Turner Vietnam Company Limited
BIS (British International School)
Flora Di Menna Designs Inc.
SPG Vietnam Trading Company Limited
Samsung Polymer (Vietnam) Co., Ltd
Thong Nhat – Bac Viet Company Limited
Horiba Instruments (S) Pte Ltd
Snp Printing & Packaging Accessories (Pvt) Limited
Tata International Company Limited
- Advised Turner Vietnam on a payment dispute with a real estate developer.
- Advised a private school on a dispute conceirng tutition fees and Covid 19’s impact on its school year.
- Advised Tata International Company Limited on a payments dispute.
Construction and real estate disputes have been a driver of work at Bizlink Lawyers, which has additional strengths in tax, labour and commercial litigation. Managing partner Do Trong Hai has extensive experience of representing clients in proceedings before the civil and economic courts. He co-heads the team with Nguyen Duc Manh, who regularly handles high value contractual disputes, particularly those relating to labour, construction and commercial investment.
An Hoa Paper Joint Stock Company
Vietnam Construction and Import-Export Corporation
Vietnam Construction Joint Stock Company No.2
Vietnam Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Industry and Trade (VietinBank)
Vinausteel Joint Venture Company
Chinfon Cement Corporation
Lotte – Halla – Hanshin Joint Ventrure
Sunrise Vietnam Textile JSC.
Citra West Lake City Development Company Limited
Wilo Vietnam Co., Ltd.
MNS Farm Nghe An
Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co. Ltd.
- Advised C-Vidifi on a court case against a Korean company as the main-contractor regarding construction and erection of an intercity highway in Vietnam.
- Advised Vietnam Construction and Import – Export Corporation before court proceedings against a Korean contractor over a dispute on a consultancy service contract.
- Advised Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction on a court case in Vietnam against a Vietnamese company as the owner regarding construction of a luxury tower in Hanoi.
DIMAC is active in cases concerning construction contracts, financial trading and commercial agreements. It has a strong profile among multinational companies and individuals who have just started to do business in Vietnam. The team is jointly led by Pham Quoc Tuan, who is based in Ho Chi Minh City, and Duong Quoc Thanh in Hanoi.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Bitexco Joint Stock Company on settling a construction dispute with Posco Engineering & Construction Vietnam Company Limited
- Assisting KIS Vietnam Securities Corporation with settling a dispute over security transactions.
- Acting for Asia Investment JSC in a dispute with Mr. Nguyen Duc Kien.
EPLegal Limited handles domestic and cross-border litigation, which spans areas such as energy (including oil and gas), shipping and real estate, among others. Tony Nguyen and Annie Ngo jointly lead the team, which acts for clients such as DHL, AIG and Unicorn Metal Corporation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Realistic dispute resolution plan and strategies. Reasonable fee.’
Flex Speed Delivery Limited Liability Company
Long Son Petroleum Industrial Zone Investment Joint Stock Company
DHL Supply Chain (Vietnam)
AIG Vietnam Insurance Company Limited
Unicorn Metal Corporation
- Advising and representing AIG on a dispute regarding cargo claim.
- Advising and representing Unicorn Metal on recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral award in Vietnam.
- Advising Flex Speed Delivery on a dispute regarding a delivery service contract.
At LNT & Partners, the team handles a broad cross-section of contentious mandates, including those relating to commercial contracts, construction, tax, labour and IP. Net Le, who leads the team, is active in disputes concerning major infrastructure projects and oil refineries. Tran Thai Binh, who heads up the real estate and infrastructure practice, is another name to note, as is Thuy Nguyen.
‘LNT & Partners has a very solid litigation team.’
‘LNT had quickly captured our issue and been able to adopt the right approaches. As a result, the judgement of the courts was favourable to my company.’
Golden Emperor Properties Limited Company
Hoang Lam Mechanical Fabrication Co.,Ltd
- Defended Golden Emperor Properties in an unlawful termination claim.
- Represented Hoang Lam Mechanical Fabrication in a dispute involving unfair dismissal.