Boutique firm Antequera Parilli & Rodríguez remains one of Venezuela' premier names for intellectual property work, with a strong following among international pharmaceutical, consumer products, and media companies operating in the country. the firm offers the full range of traditional IP services, with a strong track record in copyright, patent, and trademark prosecution, handling both inbound and outbound cases, with Florida-based counsel Ricardo Enrique Antequera frequently taking the lead on matters involving the US, as well as heading up the patent offering. Ricardo Alberto Antequera leads the trademark, advertising, entertainment, and sport practices, while Manuel Antonio Rodríguez is the name to note for enforcement matters, handling litigation, mediation, and anti-counterfeiting matters. the firm's international client base is further supported by Mariana Montiel and Dinora García, with the former focusing on Europe and Latin America, while Dinora García focuses on Mexico and the USA.
Intellectual property in Venezuela
Antequera Parilli & Rodríguez
Ricardo Alberto Antequera; Ricardo Enrique Antequera; Manuel Rodríguez
- Preparation of all its library of main contracts with focus on Intellectual Property, Marketing and Advertising Law. Client is a new advertising agency.
- Designing and enforcing the artist copyrights on social media platforms and on-line galleries
- An investigation was carried out that allowed customs authorities to conduct a massive seizure over counterfeiting garments, affecting commercialization of NIKE products. Value of $500.000USD
Bolet & Terrero is home to an IP team that handles the full spectrum of IP matters, including litigation and anti-counterfeiting investigations in addition to more traditional patent trademark and copyright cases. Manuel Polanco, Luis Henriquez and Rafael Ortin head the firm while Maria Elena Terrero is another key name.
Hoet & Partners
Hoet & Partners, formerly known as Hoet Pelaez Castillo & Duque, is frequently instructed by prominent foreign clients, acting as local counsel in a wide range of IP matters. the firm is particularly recommended for the management of large IP portfolios, with a particular focus on large portfolios of trademarks, handling registrations, cancellation actions, and oppositions. The firm is also highly active in the patent space, with several recent instructions concerning the new online filing systems implemented due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Key figures within the team include Patricia Hoet-Limbourg, who focuses on cross-border work, trademark and patent specialist Joaquín Núñez, and administrative law expert Alicia Molero. On the contentious side of the practice, Franklin Hoet-Linares is also recommended.
Patricia Hoet Limbourg; Alicia Molero Morán; Joaquín Núñez Landáez
- Intervention before the PTO on behalf of Novartis due to irregularities regarding the date-stamps for its patent application No. 2020-000131.
- Adivised on the filing of a court action for the judicial review of Administrative Matters (under the Organic Administrative Jurisdiction Act) related to patent application No. 2000-002834, on which the relevant authorities had failed to issue a decision within the due legal timeframe; an oral hearing on the case took place on March 04, 2020.
- Filed a nullity action before the Courts for the the Judicial Review of Administrative Matters in relation to failed patent application No. 2005-000465 on behalf of ViiV Healthcare UK.
- Matter summary
Baker & McKenzie, S.C.
Senior Associate Laura Rada heads the Intellectual Property team at Baker & McKenzie, S.C., which primarily focuses on international clients, frequently collaborating with other offices of the firm to provide cross-border advice. Trademark registration and renewal is a key facet of the practice, with the final quarter of 2020 seeing a large number of such instructions, following the trademark office's closure from March due to Covid-19. The firm also handles contentious trademark work, including opposition to applications for marks, as well as handling infringement litigation cases.
De Sola, Pate & Brown
ECV & Asociados
Marquez, Henriquez, Ortin & Valedon
Marquez, Henriquez, Ortin & Valedon continues to advise clients on the protection of intangible assets, including litigation, registrations of marks and patents, and the drafting of licensing agreements. Leopoldo Márquez Lefeld and Carlos Valedon head the team, which saw the departures of Rafael Ortin and Luis Alejandro Henriquez, alongside associate Annette Angulo Celis, all of whom left for Bolet & Terrero in July 2021.
Moreau, González & Asociados
Moreau, González & Asociados handle a wide range of intellectual property matters including trademarks, copyright, and patent protection. The firm is particularly active in the pharmaceutical, food and beverage, and media sectors, with a client base that includes prominent multinationals as well as several large domestic businesses. Jacqueline Moreau Aymard leads the team alongside Ana Carolina González Benoit and Isabel Manrique Rojas.
Jacqueline Moreau Aymard; Ana Carolina Gonzàlez Benoit; Isabel Manrique Rojas