D'Empaire has particular strength in the corporate and finance areas, which it draws on to assist various companies from the oil and gas sector. The team also advises on contract negotiations, joint ventures and bidding rounds for oil fields. Practice head Fulvio Italiani is a highly regarded practitioner in the market. Corporate specialists Roberto Mas and Arnoldo Troconis, and Carlos Omaña, who is experienced in handling banking and finance mandates, are also integral members of the team.
Energy and natural resources in Venezuela
Maurel & Prom
- Advised Repsol on its licence for the exploration and exploitation of natural non-associated gas of the Cardon IV area, as well as on a natural gas supply contract.
- Continued advising Maurel & Prom on all legal matters relating to its activities in Venezuela.
- Assisted Pampa Energía with matters relating to the three oil joint ventures in which it participates in Venezuela.
The highly regarded full-service practice of Dentons has focused its activity recently on advising its impressive client portfolio on foreign sanctions and participating in mixed companies, but also assists with general corporate, exchange control, tax and litigation matters. The team covers the oil and gas industry as well as the power and renewables sector. Sergio Casinelli, Daniela Jaimes and Natalija Vojvodic are experts in transactions and commercial mandates, while Rubén Eduardo Luján specialises in finance matters. Luis Ernesto Andueza has expertise on the regulatory and public law front.
‘Lawyers with a lot of knowledge and experience who act highly responsibly and professionally. One of the best teams in Venezuela.’
Compañía General de Combustibles
- Providing Compañía General de Combustibles with legal assistance in connection with the company’s participation in the Venezuelan oil industry, specifically through the ownership of shares in an oil mixed company.
- Advising Mitsubishi Venezolana on a variety of legal issues.
InterJuris Abogados impresses with its deep energy practice, which covers the full gamut of related matters; the team is well versed in the financing of joint venture companies for the exploration and development of oil reserves, as well as corporate matters, contracts and hydrocarbons law. Gabriela Rachadell de Delgado heads the practice; she has more than 30 years of experience handling transactions in the sector. Juan José Delgado is a skilled adviser in corporate, regulatory and contractual matters. Adriana Lezcano Huncal, José María Rivas and associate José Alejandro Corbán are also noted.
Delgado & Cia
Instituto de Empresas Madrid
Leĝa Abogados is an established adviser to national and international companies on the full gamut of energy matters. The team has significant expertise in the development, construction and financing of oil and gas, power and infrastructure projects, as well as in the international financing structures used by Venezuelan public sector entities. Practice head Miguel Rivero has longstanding experience in upstream, midstream and downstream mandates. José Alberto Ramírez is a key contact for regulatory issues, and counsel Simón Herrera and London-based José Gregorio Torrealba are also noted.
‘Timely legal advice makes Leĝa Abogados excellent counsellors always.’
‘The team knows how to find simple, reasonable and practical solutions, and the lawyers know how to put themselves in the client’s shoes.’
‘Leĝa Abogados are always up to date with the latest available information, and the precision of their analysis is always useful for making decisions. José Ramírez, José Torrealba and Miguel Rivero are excellent lawyers.’
Baker Hudges & GE Company
Aluminio El Tuprial
Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR)
Gazprombank Latin America Ventures
Venezuelan Association of Gas Processors
GPB Energy Services
- Assisted Aluminio El Tuprial with the purchase of assets used in the manufacture of wire rods for the oil and gas industry.
- Assisting Curacao Oil with an agreement to be reached with PDVSA with regard to the client and PDVSA’s business relationship in the Dutch Caribbean islands, in light of the recent sanctions imposed on PDVSA by the US government.
- Advised GPB Energy Services on the review and amendment process of an agency agreement, offtake contract and export contract executed with Nynas and PDVSA.
Baker & McKenzie, S.C.
International firm Baker & McKenzie, S.C. is noted for its experience in advising private oil and gas companies - both upstream and downstream - on a variety of matters, including the negotiation and drafting of contracts, regulatory matters and dispute resolution. A particular area of expertise is assisting PDVSA contractors. Practice head Eugenio Hernández-Bretón, María Eugenia Salazar and associate Héctor Martínez form the core team.
‘Exceptional knowledge of the regulatory environment in Venezuela and of the oil industry at all stages.‘
‘Eugenio Hernández-Bretón and Héctor Martínez stand out for their 24/7 availability and strong work ethic.’
- Advising Total on the negotiation and structuring of its arrangements in light of the current complex situation in Venezuela.
- Advising Halliburton regarding the legal actions it may take in order to protect its equipment and personnel from government action.
- Assisting Braskem with its efforts to recover a roughly $60m investment.
Mendoza, Palacios, Acedo, Borjas, Paez Pumar & Cia.
Mendoza, Palacios, Acedo, Borjas, Paez Pumar & Cia.'s practice focuses on assisting clients from the energy sector with acquisitions, procurements and correspondence with state entities, as well as expropriation procedures. Another new field of work for the firm is advising clients on sanctions-related issues; Luisa Lepervanche is highlighted here. The team is led by finance expert Carlos Eduardo Acedo and Esteban Palacios, who also represents clients in disputes.
Consorcio Euro-Bras Guri, Consorcio Euro-Bras Guri One
Asea Brown Boveri
- Assisting Solsica with all legal matters regarding critical services and goods supplies with its clients.
- Advised Corporación de Cemento Andino on the expropriation procedure of a cement production complex in the city of Valera.
- Acted for Corporación de Cemento Andino in the nullity appeal procedure against an administrative act issued by the competition and antitrust regulatory authority.
Araquereyna's team specialises in corporate, project finance and contentious matters in the oil and gas sector. Its client portfolio includes national and international companies, traders, producers of electricity and government agencies, among others. Gustavo Reyna, Manuel Reyna, María Carolina Cano and Marcos Carrillo are the key practitioners.
PALACIOS, TORRES & KORODY
The energy practice at Palacios, Torres & Korody covers financing and operational matters, but has a particularly strong focus on advising clients on tax and regulatory issues. Active practitioners are Juan Korody and Carlos Plaza, as well as associate Juan Andrés Velutini.
Total Oil & Gas
Sucre Energy Latam
- Acted for Schlumberger in the international sale of several offshore oil rigs given to Schlumberger as payment-in-kind.
- Acted for Sucre Energy Latam on the acquisition of shares in an exploration and exploitation mixed-capital company.
Rodríguez & Mendoza
Rodríguez & Mendoza has notable expertise in the oil and gas sector, where it advises foreign and domestic clients on a variety of issues. The team is well versed in the exploration and exploitation of natural resources, and it also handles the negotiation and structuring of the financing of oil projects. Reinaldo Hellmund is the name to note.
Travieso Evans Arria Rengel & Paz
The team at Travieso Evans Arria Rengel & Paz combines energy, finance and corporate experience, which it applies when being instructed by international oil and drilling companies as well as clients from the natural gas sector. The key contacts are Eduardo Travieso Uribe and Simón Guevara Camacho.