With extensive experience in regulatory matters and investigations, Dentons is noted for its impressive team of former state attorneys general. The practice is uniquely position to leverage its extensive network of relationships with state AGs across the US to assist clients with investigations, enforcement actions, negotiations and settlements. Former Georgia attorney general Thurbert Baker shares the group’s leadership with Bill McCollum, who is a former member of Congress and Florida attorney general. Both Baker and McCollum are based in Washington DC and have a wealth of experience in public policy, multistate litigation and corporate compliance. Other key names include Washington DC-based Dan Gibb, whose practice focuses on investigations and consumer protection issues, and Atlanta-based Samuel Olens, who was twice elected attorney general of Georgia.
State attorneys general in United States
Thurbert Baker; Bill McCollum
Other key lawyers:
Dan Gibb; Sam Olens
‘The practice is unique in that the majority of the members of the group have either been state attorneys general or have worked in a state attorneys general office. Their input and connections to other AG offices is not merely academic but also based on real-life experience.’
‘Dentons’ billing is reasonable, the AG practice is racially diverse, and the members of the practice are always available to assist.’
‘The individuals consist of at least one former AG and another deputy AG. The primary members, Thurbert Baker and Dan Gibb, are always up to date on the issues affecting the healthcare and life sciences world and actively attend various AG forums to keep current. They both have contacts within several AG offices and provide advice regarding which AG offices are most relevant and helpful to approach.’
With a team of experienced lawyers and former elected officials, DLA Piper LLP (US) launched its state attorneys general practice in May 2021 under the leadership of San Francisco-based Jeffrey Tsai and Scott Wilson in New York. With strong national coverage, the group is especially skilled at handling investigations and lawsuits in key areas such as environmental law, consumer protection, crypto and antitrust. Tsai is the key contact for multistate investigations and enforcement actions on issues related to unfair trade practices, antitrust and healthcare. Wilson is experienced in representing Fortune 100 and other major companies in regulatory investigations and white-collar crime matters, often with a cross-border element.
Jeffrey Tsai; Scott Wilson
‘The team has deep experience, both substantively and procedurally. We received very high quality advice and support, including strategic discovery planning designed to contain costs and discharge our obligations while maintaining a professionally courteous decorum.’
‘The DLA Piper AG practice group brings extensive knowledge and regulatory and prosecutorial experience to client matters. Its strategic advice focuses on maximizing an understanding of the landscape of the attorney general environment and working with regulators in an effort to educate and advocate for client priorities.’
‘Scott Wilson’s knowledge of corporate investigations is invaluable.’
‘The team has deep insight into the inner workings of the AG office.’
‘Jeff Tsai is hard driving yet careful about his approach to the AG and deputies.’
‘Jeff Tsai and the State AG practice team have the experience which allow for resolution of complex regulatory issues across a wide range of industries.’
‘Jeff Tsai’s knowledge of the internal workings of the attorney general’s office and other federal regulators who interface with AGs coupled with his knowledge of a wide range of areas of law help cultivate pathways for the resolution of issues and concerns affecting clients.’
Sanofi US Services, Inc.
Adir International, LLC
- Representing Adir International, a major regional home-goods retailer, in a consumer protection lawsuit filled by the California Attorney General’s Office.
- Acted for Sanofi on its defense of a lawsuit brought by the New Mexico Attorney General’s Office, claiming violations of the Unfair Practices Act, failure to warn, and others.
O'Melveny & Myers LLP
O'Melveny & Myers LLP is recognized for its proven track record in high-profile state attorneys general investigations and litigation. Working alongside attorneys general across the US to find favorable settlements for its clients, the group is prominent in the life sciences, tech, energy and consumer products segments. Based in Washington DC, experienced trial lawyer Steve Brody has been particularly active representing pharmaceuticals companies in litigation and settlements related to the opioid crisis. He leads the team alongside life sciences industry group co-head Ross Galin in New York, and Los Angeles-based Daniel Suvor. Also in Los Angeles is Dawn Sestito, who leads on investigations involving climate change, antitrust and price gouging. In San Francisco, Damali Taylor is popular among tech ad automotive companies, while Geoff Yost is well versed in violations of state environmental laws.
Daniel Suvor; Steve Brody; Ross Galin
Other key lawyers:
Dawn Sestito; Damali Taylor; Geoff Yost
Johnson & Johnson
- Assisted Johnson & Johnson and subsidiary Janssen Pharmaceuticals in securing an unprecedented global settlement releasing claims of 46 states and more than 3,000 cities and countries accusing pharmaceutical companies of allegedly causing an opioid epidemic.
- Represented Walmart in a statewide lawsuit filed by the California Attorney General, the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), and various California district attorneys alleging violations of California’s Hazardous Waste Control Law, Medical Waste Management Act, and Consumer Records Act.
Troutman Pepper maintains a nationwide state attorneys general practice that has significant experience in handling individual and multistate investigations and litigation. The team continues to grow, with the recent arrivals of Orange County-based Clayton Friedman and Michael Yaghi from Crowell & Moring LLP in July 2022. Friedman brings extensive expertise in multistate regulatory actions, with a focus on matters involving advertising, marketing, consumer finance and privacy, while Yaghi is recommended for consumer protection enforcement matters. They lead the group alongside Richmond-based Ashley Taylor Jr., whose practice covers litigation and compliance matters, and Stephen Piepgrass, who is well versed in investigations in regulated industries.
Ashley Taylor Jr; Clayton Friedman; Stephen Piepgrass; Michael Yaghi
Easy Pay Finance, LLC
Lexis Nexis Coplogic Solutions, Inc
With extensive bipartisan expertise, Kirkland & Ellis LLP's state attorneys general team draws on the experience of former senior government officials, including Chicago-based Lisa Madigan, who served as Illinois state attorney general. In Washington DC, Jennifer Levy leads on multistate litigation involving product liability cases on behalf of pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and automotive companies. Also in Washington DC is Reginald Brown, whose practice focuses on assisting financial institutions, energy companies and tech firms with regulatory and reputational matters. Another key name is former federal judge Mark Filip, who splits his time between Chicago and Washington DC and has been particularly active in representing multinational pharmaceuticals and life sciences companies in civil and criminal investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Lisa Madigan; Jennifer Levy; Reginald Brown; Mark Filip
- Assisted a a major student loan servicer with an 18-month investigation conducted by a consortium of nearly 30 state attorneys general, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and the US Department of Justice into its origination, collection and servicing practices.
- Acted for a global pharmaceutical company in connection with various state attorneys general investigations and related litigation across the country regarding the pricing of insulin.
- Represented a global social media company in a multistate investigation regarding the potential suppression of free expression on social media platforms.
With a deep bench of former state and federal prosecutors, government lawyers and regulatory enforcement attorneys, Morrison Foerster‘s state attorneys general practice has significant experience in regulatory matters and investigations. The group assists high-profile companies and their executive with a wide range sensitive matters involving data privacy, public corruption, securities fraud, consumer protection and antitrust. From New York, former state prosecutor Carrie Cohen manages the practice and represents clients in both civil and criminal matters. Also in New York is Nathan Reilly, who has extensive experience in handling parallel investigations by various enforcement bodies.
Other key lawyers:
‘Mofo’s state attorney general practice is unique because of its knowledge of state practice and the ins and outs of dealing with state government officials.’
‘Carrie Cohen is outstanding. She has vast experience personally working in government at various levels (state and federal) and in defending individuals and entities in state and federal investigations.’
California Attorney General’s Office (CA AG)
Former Supreme Court Justice, John A. Michalek
Lear Capital Inc. and CEO
A Global Retailer
A Global E-Commerce Company
- Acted for the California Attorney General on an independent review of its release of certain personal information contained on its firearms database.
- Represented a former New York Supreme Court Justice, John A. Michalek, who pled guilty to public corruption charges brought against him by the New York Attorney General.
- Assisted Lear Capital Inc. and its CEO with a Martin Act commodities and consumer fraud special proceeding brought by the New York State Attorney General NYAG (Investor Protection Bureau) and filed in Erie County, securing a settlement.
The state attorneys general practice at WilmerHale is noted for its track record handling complex individual and multistate investigations and litigation in regulated sectors, including tech, financial services and life sciences. With extensive experience in regulatory enforcement, trials and settlements, the team features attorneys who have served at the most senior levels of government. Leading the group is the former chief of staff to the New York attorney general Brian Mahanna, who is sought after to assist clients with sensitive and complex regulatory matters at all levels of government.
With a nationwide reach, King & Spalding assists US and foreign multinationals with complex state attorneys general investigations and related litigation. Headed by Washington DC-based J Boggs, the group is particular active in areas such as data and tech, real estate, healthcare, environment and food. Boggs co-leads the firm’s fintech, blockchain and cryptocurrency group and is often sought after by major corporates and trade associations. In Los Angeles, trial lawyer Peter Hsiao is a key contact for investigations involving environmental matters.
Other key lawyers:
American Kidney Fund
Dialysis Patient Citizens, Inc.
Egon Zehnder International RD
Garrison Investment Group LP
RD Legal Funding LLC
The State of Utah
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP is skilled at handling state attorneys general matters alongside criminal proceedings, lawsuits and class actions. Led by Philadelphia-based Eric Sitarchuk, the team regularly acts on individual and multistate investigations across a wide range of areas, most notably product liability, environment, antitrust, data privacy and cybersecurity. Sitarchuk is highly experienced in complex federal and state investigations and a popular destination for leading tech and pharmaceutical companies. Other key names include Philadelphia-based John Dodds, who is well versed in healthcare fraud, public corruption, and environmental violation cases, and white-collar crime expert Kelly Moore in New York.
Other key lawyers:
John Dodds; Kelly Moore
- Represented Rite Aid in litigation against attorney generals in West Virginia, New Hampshire and Utah regarding allegations of improper dispensing and self-distributing of certain opioid medicines, securing a settlement with West Virginia.
- Acted for Teva on investigations by a large multistate group of attorneys general based on alleged false and misleading marketing of opioid medicines.
- Assisted Teva and its affiliates in securing a favorable settlement with the West Virginia attorney general.
Housing a team of experienced enforcement attorneys, litigators and former government officials, Ropes & Gray LLP is highly experienced in federal and state enforcement matters. Drawing on the firm’s cross-practice capabilities, including data privacy and cybersecurity, antitrust and healthcare, the group frequently handles complex individual and multistate investigations and litigation. From Chicago, former federal healthcare fraud prosecutor Laura Hoey co-leads the practice with experienced litigator John Bueker in Boston and New York-based Gregg Weiner, who is a popular destination for financial institutions and Fortune 500 companies. Another key contact is Boston-based James Dowden, whose practice covers investigations brought by federal, state and foreign government agencies.
Laura Hoey; John Bueker; Gregg Weiner
Other key lawyers:
Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, plc
Former CEO of Solar Winds
University of Toledo
- Successfully represented Morgan Stanley Capital in a qui tam action filled on behalf of the state of Florida.
- Represented Mallinckrodt in lawsuits brought by a coalition of state attorneys general against 26 pharmaceutical companies and 10 executives.
- Acted for the former CEO of SolarWinds on various state attorneys general, congressional, and federal investigations, as well as securities litigation in Texas.