Al Tamimi & Company's intellectual property team regularly represents major regional and global brands, with highly experienced professionals in the fields of trademark and patent protection. Omar Obeidat leads the team from Dubai and handles enforcement matters, IP portfolio management and litigation and prosecution. Ahmad Saleh heads the innovation and patents department; the expanding practice continues to cover new areas including patent commercialisation and technology mining. The highly regarded Rasha Al Ardah provides additional support and her practice has an emphasis on trademarks and copyright.
Intellectual property in United Arab Emirates
Al Tamimi & Company
Omar Obeidat; Ahmad Saleh
Other key lawyers:
Rasha Al Ardah
‘The team are very responsive and give clear and practical advice.’
‘Omar Obeidat is head of the group and has assembled a very able team around him.’
‘Al Tamimi is one of the best regional law firms and serves as a one stop shop. They are great for all IP related matters, especially enforcement, due to their deep knowledge of the laws and connections with local authorities.’
Clyde & Co LLP
Clyde & Co LLP has a preeminent intellectual property practice, not only within the UAE but also the wider Middle East; covering the entire trademark life-cycle from registration and commercialisation to protection and contentious work. The client base is particularly broad and the firm acts for some of the largest local, regional and international brands in the areas of hospitality, retail and luxury goods. Mark Devaney handles trademark selection, filing strategy and prosecution. Joycia Young specialises in the commercial aspects of intellectual property, increasingly advising on technology transfer and the commercialisation of patents and know-how. Legal director Nicole Giblin is highly regarded, bringing expertise in industrial design protection.
Mark Devaney; Joycia Young
Other key lawyers:
Etihad Airways PJSC
- Acted as global IP counsel for Etihad Airways for the past 10 years. Providing all aspects of intellectual property protection, enforcement and commercialisation advice.
Led by Bassel El Turk, the intellectual property team at Rouse is noted for the considerable breadth and depth of its practice, with expertise in a wide array of areas including IP litigation and enforcement, marketing and advertising law, data protection and patents. El Turk specialises in complex IP litigation and has an impressive success rate before UAE courts. Sara Holder handles a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, with expertise in patents and IPR acquisitions and enforcement. Samantha Grainger also bolsters the Dubai offering, her practice focusing on the commercialisation of patents and technology.
Bassel El Turk
Other key lawyers:
Sara Holder; Samantha Grainger
Bird & Bird utilises an extensive international network to provide tailored advice across the gamut of intellectual property rights including patents, trade secrets, copyright and data privacy. Melissa Murray is the head of the IP group for the Middle East and regularly advises leading regional and international brands on the franchising and licensing of their intellectual property. She is supported by legal director Renée Nugent, whose practice particularly focuses on trademarks and domain name issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Melissa Murray is a standout expert at the firm and in the region. She is responsive, commercial and prepared to make the call. She is pragmatic and clearly in touch with what is happening in the industry.’
‘Renée Nugent is both approachable and a rare find within the region. She helps to frame and shape thinking and recommends pragmatic options for clients. She is also adaptable to whatever the situation requires. She is one to watch in the region.’
‘Melissa Murray is helpful in assisting with local law issues that clients need to be aware of.’
‘Excellent team. Very experienced with managing IP in the GCC.’
‘Great personable team, who go the extra mile to understand key priorities for the client.’
‘Bird & Bird are our go-to firm for all IP related work, including our trade mark portfolio. They get things done in a smooth and efficient way, and they are always personable and professional even in challenging situations.’
‘Melissa Murray and Renée Nugent deliver value not only with their sharp and accurate counsel regarding IP specific issues, but also with regard to understanding the key drivers of our business. They also understand brand equity and this goes a long way towards their delivery of pragmatic, forward-thinking advice.’
‘We appreciate the breadth of countries that the firm covers in the region.’
Hustle n’ Flow
The Grooming Company
Circle K Procurement and Brands Limited
- Assisting well-known UAE-based hair & beauty group The Grooming Company on expanding its various brands (such as nail care salon, male grooming / barbershop etc.) into other GCC countries by advising on licensing of IP. Also advising the client on trade mark registrations in Europe.
- Advised Saudi-based Burgerizzr on expanding their business internationally (with a focus on the GCC) by licensing of IP. Also advising client on management of trade mark portfolio and filings.
- Advised Spanish casual dining concept Hustle n’ Flow on franchising rights and licensing IP, trade mark registrations, and on prosecution and enforcement of its trade mark and trade name.
DLA Piper’s intellectual property team operates as an extension of the firm's renowned TMT practice, handling a steady stream of complex mandates spanning the spectrum of areas including trademark registration and enforcement, copyright infringement, franchising and licensing. The team is jointly led by Paul Allen and head of intellectual property and technology for the Middle East Jamie Ryder. The team has particular expertise advising clients in the media, sport, entertainment and technology sectors.
Paul Allen; Jamie Ryder
‘A great firm with strong capabilities in the area of intellectual property’, Gowling WLG has a full-service offering of expertise from trademark and patents to copyright litigation and enforcement. Jon Parker is one of the region’s most experienced trademark lawyer’s, advising clients across a wide range of sectors such as retail, leisure, hospitality and pharmaceuticals. The team has recently been bolstered by the return of Rachel Armstrong to the Dubai office, she is highly experienced in both the contentious and non-contentious space, especially regarding commercial IP matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gowling are a trusted firm for all intellectual property matters. They provide high quality services in relation to registration of our trademarks throughout the world, IP infringement takedown requests and IP legal advice.’
‘The team are very helpful and responsive. Regarding IP infringement take down requests, they were very helpful, clear and precise in the handover process.’
‘Great firm with strong capabilities in IP within the region.’
MyHome (Kuwait mobile app service)
- Assisting UAE based entertainment and education venue with prosecuting a filing programme started in 2020 for the client, which covers over 100 jurisdictions. This has included overcoming objections raised in some countries.
- Assisted Middle East Real Estate Development Company with trademark clearance projects for numerous brands across multiple countries in the region with resulting trademark filings.
- Advised Alef Education on developing an enforcement programme in late 2020, which included social media take downs, taking action against more than 30 separate infringers each month.
Hadef & Partners LLC
Hadef & Partners LLC divides its practice between three core areas of prosecution, commercialisation and enforcement and guides large regional and international clients through significant recent developments in the UAE intellectual property landscape. James Dunne leads the team on the side of trademarks and brand protection, including contentious aspects such as customs enforcement and IP disputes. Victoria Woods heads the commercial practice in Dubai and regularly advises some of the largest IP owners throughout the region.
James Dunne; Victoria Woods
‘Extreme professionalism in every step they take, either filing documents to the patent office or explaining reasoning behind their actions.’
‘Quick reactions to client’s requests. Thorough analysis of problems and finding best solutions for the client.’
‘James Dunne shows extraordinary commitment in each case he is responsible for and broad knowledge of intellectual and industrial property.’
BSA Ahmad Bin Hezeem & Associates LLP
The team at BSA Ahmad Bin Hezeem & Associates LLP has a ‘profound knowledge of intellectual property law’, taking a client-focused approach when advising on the prosecution, protection, commercialisation and enforcement of IP rights. The team is led from Dubai by Munir Suboh, who has a strong track record across a range of disciplines including licensing, global brand launches and high-value litigation. Senior associate Amal Atieh is experienced in drafting and negotiating IP agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘BSA has a very professional team of lawyers. Profound knowledge of intellectual property law and a wide range of services.’
‘Amal Atieh is a senior associate with outstanding knowledge of law and excellent communication skills.’
MBC Group- MBC IP FZ LLC & MBC FZ LLC
Andersen Tax LLC
Clinique Des Champs Elysées
Christie Manson & Woods Limited
MWD Beverages LTD
Nava 1872 PTE. LTD/ B.P. DE SILVA HOLDINGS PTE LTD
Premier Beverages P. В. Limited
World Wrestling Entertainment Inc
Etam Lingerie SA
- Advised MBC IP FZ LLC on securing trademark protection for its new Arabic applications/channel MBC MOOD across the entire MENA region and the EU as well as its new brand MBC LOUD.
- Representing the brand owner of Olaplex in an ongoing dispute in relation to trademark registration by a third party against an infringing trademark in Oman.
- Representing World Wrestling Entertainment Inc (WWE) in various anti-counterfeiting and enforcement tasks, across many jurisdictions including the UAE, Turkey and KSA.
Cedar White Bradley IP LLP
Cedar White Bradley IP LLP provides a full scope of intellectual property services to an impressive client roster, comprising leading global brands across a range of sectors including electronics, luxury fashion and cosmetics. Saba Al Sultani is head of trademarks. Thenus Van De Merwe and new arrival Cameron Crawford, who joined the Dubai office in January 2022, are other key names. Previous head of patents David Harper left the firm.
Saba al Sultani; Cameron Crawford; Theuns van de Merwe
‘The team has a solid comprehension as well as extensive knowledge of IP law.’
‘The team at CWB is diligent and informative. They clearly walk clients through the IP process and kept them up to date throughout.’
‘They are reliable and easy to work with. There is never an issue with them taking a call or providing advice’
- Advised PopArabia in the launch of ESMAA, the GCC’s first music rights management organisation. The most notable transaction on which CWB provided support was a ground-breaking public performance rights and digital licence to Dubai Expo2020.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP is well known in the UAE for its extensive expertise in intellectual property, handling a number of cross-border copyright, trademark and patent disputes. Mark Hill heads the team from Dubai, he acts for an impressive number of clients from the technology, media and sports industries. Lara Haidar is particularly well regarded and senior associate Chris Haywood specialises in contentious and non-contentious work for the art and luxury sector.
Other key lawyers:
Lara Haidar; Chris Haywood
‘The team shows great clarity in duties and responsibilities. As a whole, they demonstrate strong listening capabilities, understanding what a client is looking for.’
‘The strong attributes of the individuals are harmonically emphasized and well leveraged in the team work and hence in delivering a great product to a client.’
International Cricket Council
Al Tayer Group
Image Nation Abu Dhabi
Emblem Consulting DMCC (MBLM)
Lutron Electronics Company
Food Arts Investments
Dubai World Trade Centre
FIFA Qatar World Cup 2022
Infinity Capital WLL
Qatar Railways Company
The MBC Group
Luxury Living Group
Her Majesty’s Royal Navy – The National Museum of the Royal Navy Trading
- Supporting the International Cricket Council with the brand registration aspects of its new crypto NFT offering, Crictos.
- Supporting the creation of a proposed framework for a film fund offering from the Ministry of Culture in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising a client on rights in respect of the artwork entitled “The Journey of Humanity” and also advising in relation to the development and launch of an artist-related NFT strategy.
Eversheds Sutherland LLP’s strength in commercial intellectual property matters is complemented by a recognised presence in litigation and arbitration. The team is led by Nasser Ali Khasawneh, who has considerable expertise across a range of core IP areas, particularly software and trademark licences and agreements. Geraldine Ahern heads the commercial practice for the Middle East, bringing expertise in franchising agreements and data protection. Associate Christine Khoury is also noted.
Nasser Ali Khasawneh
Other key lawyers:
Geraldine Ahern; Christine Khoury
‘Christine Khoury offers amazing levels of service. She is always there for clients and willing to think out of the box to find appropriate solutions.’
World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
Philip Morris International Management S.A. (PMI)
- Acting as a WIPO domain name panellist and arbitrator on many WIPO domain name disputes.
- Advising Philip Morris on IP compliance, laws in the UAE and the enforcement process against infringers.
- Advising Seddiqi Holding on complex questions of ownership of IP under a set of related agreements and distribution of rights, to reflected best global practice and compliance with UAE copyright laws.
The Bench has a solid practice in IP and acts for clients ranging from start-ups to major international companies, primarily in the hospitality and TMT sectors. Joby Beretta heads the practice, handling a steady stream of issues from general IP advice and infringements to licensing and franchising.
‘Great team, they make everything easy to understand and the quality of their work is very high.’
‘Joby Beretta is always super supportive. He is down to earth and just a really nice person, which makes it easy to trust him.’
Nomad Media Group
Virgin Mobile Middle East & North Africa
International Hotels Group (IHG)
- Advising long-standing client RMAL Hospitality PJSC on a franchise agreement for the expansion of the popular Lebanese street food restaurant Allo Beirut in Abu Dhabi.
- Advising the global hospitality group Accor on the launch of a co-branded credit card with Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank for consumers in the UAE.
- Advising a luxury fashion brand on a number of intellectual property matters including mobile App and website creation, hosting of fashion events and Web 3.0 projects.