Al Tamimi & Company handles the full spectrum of disputes and has a strong team in several emirates. Chairman Essam Al Tamimi‘s varied practice takes in litigation and Hassan Arab is the regional head of dispute resolution. Naief Yahia heads the construction litigation practice. Zafer Sheikh Oghli is the key name in Sharjah and Ras Al Khaimah-based Ammar Haykal focuses on litigation for developers and Islamic finance entities.
Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution: local litigation
HAMDAN ALSHAMSI LAWYERS & LEGAL CONSULTANTS
Hamdan AlShamsi Lawyers and Legal Consultants has a full service Dispute Resolution and International Arbitration practice.View Profile...
Alsuwaidi & Company
Alsuwaidi & Company is a full-service modern law firm, with a commercial approach. Since the firm started in 1997, it has recruited high-calibre and experienced lawyers from international backgrounds. The team works closely together in a collegiate environment and continues to win praise from clients for impressive results. It punches above its weight, particularly in …View Profile...
Dispute resolution: local litigation in United Arab Emirates
Hadef & Partners
Hadef & Partners showcases strong English and Arabic capabilities and has an active presence in the litigation space, particularly in commercial, maritime and construction. Deputy managing partner Abdulrahman Juma heads the firm's dispute resolution practice and has extensive experience representing clients before the local and federal courts. Adrian Chadwick is another key point of contact and is a commercial dispute resolution specialist. The Abu Dhabi dispute resolution practice is led by Salih Ahnaish, who has considerable experience in the litigation space. Walid Azzam and John Smy are also noted.
Abdulrahman Juma; Salih Ahnaish; Adrian Chadwick
Other key lawyers:
Walid Azzam; Khalid El Sharif Abdulati; John Smy
‘Hadef & Partners have a strong team which communicate openly with each other and agree on and set team goals based on outcomes and results, rather than just on the amount of work being done.’
‘They are able to tackle issues with a wide perspective and formulate effective problem resolution options.’
‘They are always available, pro-active and dedicated. The team is very knowledgeable, professional, honest and trustworthy.’
Galadari, Advocates & Legal Consultants' managing partner Ahmed Galadari heads the firm's Dubai, DIFC and Abu Dhabi litigation and dispute resolution practice and has particular dispute resolution expertise in construction and shipping. Abdulla Galadari has extensive litigation experience and specialises in litigation that involves M&A transactions, debt recovery and fraud. Employment and real estate are key areas of focus for Lebanese-qualified Fadi Hassoun and senior counsel Marwan Al Cherkeh has a strong background in banking and financial services.
Ahmed Galadari; Abdulla Galadari; Marwan Al Cherkeh; Hassan Tawakalna; Fadi Hassoun
‘Galadari provide good services to clients, they have stayed up to date with the development of the law and able to provide their in depth knowledge to support clients.’
‘Abdulla Galadari’s expertise and legal knowledge is second to none.’
‘One of the most established names in the UAE legal environment with tremendous local knowledge and expertise and a true delight to work with.’
Abu Dhabi National Insurance Company (“ADNIC”)
Al Sagr National Insurance Company (“ASNIC”)
Abu Dhabi Financial Group (ADFG)
Islamic Arab Insurance Company PJSC (Salama)
Dubai Properties Group
Dubai Real Estate Centre
Sheikh Faisal Al Mualla
Action Group Holdings
Al Ghurair Construction Aluminium LLC
DEPA Group PJSC
Qatar Insurance Company PJSC
Al Shafar Properties
Al Shafar Transport & Contracting Co. LLC
Al Ghurair Construction Aluminium
Al Ghurair Construction Masonry
Al Ghurair Construction Readymix
- Representing and defending ADNIC in all types of insurance coverage claims negligence.
Global Advocacy and Legal Counsel‘s Australian-qualified Sharon Lakhan acts as the regional head for dispute resolution and specialises in litigation in the UAE onshore and free zone courts. Nasser Al Osaiba heads the firms Abu Dhabi offering and has a broad commercial, construction and banking disputes practice. Ayman Merdas leads the criminal investigations team.
Sharon Lakhan; Nasser Al Osaiba
Other key lawyers:
‘Good mix of local law experience with international know-how, so ideal for resolving disputes locally.’
‘Sharon Lakhan is excellent with clients and very commercially savvy.’
‘Excellent local lawyers who are senior people with very good experience and track record.’
‘Ayman Merdas: Knowledge of local laws and practices, always helpful.’
‘The practice has a wide array of partners and associates who are experienced with the UAE courts and are well equipped to navigate UAE litigation processes’
‘Ayman Merdas was always available to discuss my case and help to put my mind at ease with his knowledge and experience of the UAE courts.’
NMC Healthcare LTD and its Joint Administrators Benjamin Cairns and Richard Fleming
ADS Securities LLC
GFH Capital Limited
Alvarez and Marsal Middle East
- Acting as UAE law counsel for the NMC group and the joint administrators of NMC Healthcare LTD and 35 other ADGM companies in relation to the first-ever ADGM administration, including onshore litigation and advising in relation to the recognition and enforcement of an ADGM Court administration order in the DIFC Courts and onshore UAE.
- Advised Arabtec PJSC and 6 of its subsidiaries in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representing ADS Securities LLC in a number of cases before the UAE onshore courts related to complex international financial transactions.
Habib Al Mulla & Partners, a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International
Habib Al Mulla & Partners, a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International has a broad litigation and arbitration practice with particular experience advising on cross-border and regional banking and finance, white-collar crime, technology and tax disputes. Habib Al Mulla heads the UAE dispute resolution practice and has a well-established presence in the region. The firm's onshore litigation offering is led by Mohamed El Khatib. Tarek Saad is another individual to note and has a strong background in maritime and insurance. Eman Asad, Amir Alkhaja and Mohamed El Baghdady are also noted.
Habib Al Mulla; Mohamed El Khatib
Other key lawyers:
Tarek Saad; Eman Asad; Amir Alkhaja; Mohamed El Baghdady
Dubai Refreshments Company
Sharjah Electricity and Water Authority (SEWA)
Majid Al Futtaim
Standard Charter Bank
Ekar and Polymath
- Successfully represented Dubai Refreshments Company, the Dubai Financial Market (DFM) listed distributor of Pepsico, in challenges against tax penalties levied by the UAE Federal Tax Authority (FTA) before the FTA Reconsideration Committee, the Tax Dispute Resolution Committee (TDRC), the UAE Federal Courts and the UAE Supreme Court.
- Successfully obtained a decision in favour of a UAE-based company in an appeal before the Abu Dhabi Court of First Instance against fines and penalties of approximately AED 20 million imposed by the FTA in respect of a voluntary disclosure made by the company.
OGH Legal is a 'standout' firm for construction, banking and general commercial disputes. The firm's client base consists of European government entities, sovereign wealth funds and state-owned enterprises. Mohamed Elghatit is praised for his 'creative thinking' and 'bespoke service'; his expertise ranges from real estate and construction, to oil and gas. Sherif Hikal is a litigation expert and has in-depth knowledge of banking and insolvency. Omar Al Omar and Mohamed Al Sabah have caseloads that include criminal law disputes and investigations.
Sherif Hikal; Mohamed ElGhatit
Other key lawyers:
Omar Al Omar; Mohamed Al Sabah
‘The practice is flexible in billing and pays attention to where the value add of its service is not commensurate with the billed time and adjustments are made.’
‘Mohamed ElGhatit is very collaborative and communicative. He tailors his service to the requirements of the client and circumstances of the case with a very bespoke service.’
‘OGH has a small but responsive and nimble team, well versed in local litigation but also sensitive to the standards and needs of international clients.’
‘Mohamed ElGhatit understands the needs of international firms and clients.’
‘OGH is a standout firm for complex dispute resolution strategies entailing actions in the onshore Courts. The firm’s partners collaborate effectively to move seamlessly between civil and criminal strategies, providing top levels of client service.’
‘Mohamed ElGhatit is a standout lawyer, a creative thinker with a track record of delivering innovative solutions and with a deserved reputation for giving everything to his client’s cases to achieve optimum results. Mohamed’s commitment to client service is second to none.’
‘Mohamed Al Sabah is a leading lawyer with proficiency in negotiating difficult situations for his clients before Courts across the UAE, with real commitment to delivering excellence in client service.’
SKAT Danish Tax Authority
Libyan Sovereign Wealth Funds – Libya Africa Investment Portfolio and Libyan Investment Authority
MAF (Majid Al Futtaim)
- Advising SKAT, the Danish Tax Authority before the UAE courts; there are currently five primary cases and 12 ancillary actions and related cases.
- Acting on behalf of ALEC in defending a $1.7bn claim relating to a major fire at the Address Hotel in 2015.
- Advising Port Link, a US investor fund in respect of its recovery of $500m held by a local UAE Bank (Noor Bank).
Alsuwaidi & Company represents clients in a range of industries from insurance and maritime, through to banking and real estate. Founding partner Mohammed Alsuwaidi has an extensive arbitration practice and a strong background in oil and gas. Ali Alraeesi has particular expertise in cases that involve cybersecurity, money laundering, corporate fraud and defamation. Reda Hegazy is also noted and showcases an in-depth understanding of Shari'ah law.
Mohammed Alsuwaidi; Ali Alraeesi; Mohammed Lemine; Reda Hegazy; Abdelhak Attalah
‘Knowledgeable and prompt.’
‘Detailed orientated and experienced.’
‘The firm provides sound commercial advice within a short required timeframe which is essential to our business.’
‘Wael Deyab and Lama Elshawish both are approachable and respond quickly to client requirements.’
‘The team is capable and highly qualified in handling different kinds of complex litigation files before all levels of courts in the UAE (federal and local). The team is very knowledgeable, smart, strategic, cooperative and responsive. The professional fees are reasonable. the team do their best to do the work in effective time and cost manner.’
‘I worked more with Mohammad Alsuwaidi, Ali Alraeesi and Abdulhak Attalah, also with many of the other lawyers in the firm.’
A syndicate of international investment and commercial banks
A global supplier of tobacco leaves
A leading manufacturing company of auto-grade steel in India
An event management company base in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
A leading construction company
A well-known investment company
A leading global logistics company headquartered in Kuwait
A well-known regional Islamic commercial bank
A leading regional investment company owned by one of the largest family conglomerates in the UAE
A leading insurance company
- Represented a group of international banks before the UAE Courts against defaulting borrowers/shipowners. The group of international banks provided ship finances amounting to $110m in the form of a syndicated loan for the purchase of ship tankers and were assigned mortgages over the ships.
- Advising a leading trading company on a commercial dispute involving the termination of sale agreement of power station generators.
- Representing a global supplier of tobacco leaves and related services in relation to breach of agreements for the sale of their goods with outstanding debt amounting to EUR 11.2m.
Al-Kabban Advocates & Legal Consultants
Al-Kabban Advocates & Legal Consultants typically advises corporates, government entities, banks and private clients on a broad range of disputes. Founding partner Reyadh Al Kabban has an extensive arbitration practice and is a member of the DIFC, DIAC and ICC. Mohammed Lamloum Ratieb has a strong focus on real estate, labour and criminal disputes. Senior associate Hany Atef is also noted.
Reyadh Al Kabban; Osama Al Salmi; Mohammed Lamloum Ratieb; Saif Saleh Al Mutawa
Other key lawyers:
NR Doshi & Partners
Zahra Jewellery LLC
Kenzie’s Car Washing and Detailing
Syndicate Sealine Ltd
German Steel Contracting LLC
Island Corner Tech. LLC
Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co Ltd
Ewald Grybek and Michelle Garcia
Kamil Al Rustom
Bank Melli Iran
The Box ME
Ozcan Gencer and Abdurraman Vural
Guita Al Boudoor
Clariba Solutions LLC
Harmony Commodities LLC
Emper Perfumes LLC
Hessa Al Falahi
Pop Up Shop Factory
YYT Food Corporation LLC
- Representing Kamil Khan and successfully recovering over AED 48,500,000 from real estate developers in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Acted for Neelu Sahni and Sunil Sahni in a claim for AED 37,800,000 as compensation for loss of profits and opportunity after the developers failed to register the units purchased by the clients under their name.
Construction and property disputes are Horizons & Co's core areas of expertise. Founding and managing partner Ali Ismael Al Zarooni has a broad commercial disputes practice with a particular focus on white-collar investigations involving tax evasion, money laundering and international extradition. For real estate and construction-related disputes, Areen Jayousi is the go-to contact.
Ali Ismael Al Zarooni; Areen Jayousi
‘Ali Ismael Al Zarooni is very capable and runs an efficient team.’
‘Responsive, commercial and effective.’
ASGC Construction L.L.C
Teejan Contracting Co. LLC
Arabtec Construction LLC & Belhasa Six Construct LLC (ABJV)
Abaar Investments – PJS subsidiary of Mubadala Investment PJSC
Al Burj Real Estate Limited
Al Reef Real Estate Investment
Constructora San Jose S A, Constructora San Jose S A Abu Dhabi Branch
Tav Tepe Akfen Investment Construction & Operation Company & Consolidated Contracting Engineering & Procurement S.A.L. – Offshore
Husnin Zahoor Zahoor Ahmed
- Advised Arabtec Construction LLC & Belhasa Six Construct LLC on a panel with five experts who identified that the clients were not responsible for the fire damage caused to a hotel in 2015 valued at AED 1.245 billion.
- Acted for Al Burj Real Estate LTD in a dispute in relation to several sale and purchase agreements with the largest developer in the UAE, owned by a semi-governmental entity.
- Acted for ASGC Construction L.L.C as a main contractor on a theme park construction project that has become the source of a multimillion-dirham dispute after the employer failed to make an agreed advanced payment.
Ibrahim & Partners has expertise acting on cross-border disputes and demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the DIFC and ADGM court proceedings. The practice represents clients in the financial services, insurance, real estate and construction sectors. Practice head Mohamed Abdelrehiem has a particular focus on employment, construction and white-collar disputes.
‘They provide you with legal advice in a professional manner.’
Armada Retail Concept General Trading Co. (Kuwait)
Al Behar for Multiple Industries
Omnix International Co. LLC
Oren Hydrocarbons Middle East INC
Noon E Commerce Owned by Noon AD Holdings One Person Company LLC
MSN Prestressed Concrete
4TN Trading LLC
Greenline Interiors Co. (GH)
Greenline Yacht Interiors FZCO
GGICO (Gulf General Investment Co.)
National Trading and Development Enterprises LLC
- Representing Greenline Interiors Co. (GH) in relation to a very complex banking facility dispute of AED 558 million against Invest Bank PSC.
- Representing GGICO (Gulf General Investment Co.) in relation to a banking dispute of AED 501 million and multiple mortgaged properties against Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank (ADIB).
- Represented Oren Hydrocarbons Middle East INC in a commercial dispute against Abasia Petrotech DMCC.
Mahmood Hussain of Mahmood Hussain Law Firm heads the practice and is an accredited international arbitrator at the DIAC and has experience handling arbitration cases under the ICC, LCIA and ADCCAC rules. Kushagra Ashok Arora has particular expertise representing real estate developers, food and beverage groups and high-net-worth individuals.
Mahmood Hussain; Kushagra Ashok Arora
Other key lawyers:
Shirnz Global FZ- LLC
Shapoorji Pallonji Mideast LLC
- Successfully advised Augusta on recovering its investment in the arbitration case of a company that is also facing a bankruptcy case, which was unknown to the client.
- Representing MPX in a dispute after the developer failed to pay the client during the project handover.
- Acting for Shapoorji Pallonji Mideast LLC in post-arbitration proceedings after the opposition filed a request to nullify the arbitration award.