Real estate and construction in Ukraine
Aequo has 'a committed professional team that really listens and tries to create custom solutions'. The firm is consistently involved in high-value transactions and recently assisted Allrise Capital Inc with the $5m acquisition of the Chornomorets stadium in Odessa, following an auction sale by the Deposit Guarantee Fund. It also handles the real estate aspects of large M&A transactions, as well as real estate finance, distressed asset sales, litigation and development projects. Yulia Kyrpa is the lead partner. Counsel Bohdan Dmukhovskyy and senior associate Mykhaylo Soroka also garner praise from clients.
Other key lawyers:
Bohdan Dmukhovskyy; Mykhaylo Soroka
‘The team has associates who are deeply specialised in land and real estate matters. Yulia Kyrpa demonstrates good attention to detail.’
‘A committed professional team that really listens and tries to create custom solutions ’
‘The specific of regulations and court practice make the real estate and construction practice in Ukraine unique. The individuals I work with stand out for their professionalism, high level of involvement in the client’s tasks, efficiency, responsibility for the result, punctuality and the quality of their disclosure. I highly appreciate the quality and timeliness of the service provided. Senior associate Mykhaylo Soroka specialises in the real estate and construction practice.’
Allrise Capital Inc
Kreditanstalt Für Wiederaufbau Entwicklungsbank Ukraine (KfW)
- Advised Allrise Capital Inc. on acquisition of the stadium “Chornomorets” at the auction arranged by the Deposit Guarantee Fund.
- Advised Posco International on the acquisition of Ukrainian grain export terminal, and in setting up a related joint venture to oversee the operation of the terminal.
- Advised Epicentr K on how to attract financing, and how to use that financing to make agricultural acquisitions such as large tracts of land. Our team advised in respect of a $70m loan extended to the client by the Black Sea Trade and Development Bank. In another deal, the firm advised Epicentr K on the acquisition of Svarog’s business division.
Arzinger has a real estate and construction practice that operates from three offices in Ukraine, all of which handle high-value sales and leasing matters. The practice is jointly led by Timur Bondaryev in Kiev, Markian Malskyy in Lviv and Viktor Syzonenko in Odessa. They frequently act for international and Ukrainian public and private companies, financial institutions and funds. The team's experience spans residential, commercial, infrastructure, and industrial projects, as well as handling real estate issues arising from large M&A transactions. The firm recently assisted STADA Arzneimittel with real estate aspects of the purchase of a pharmaceuticals company.
Timur Bondaryev; Markian Malskyy; Viktor Syzonenko
STADA Arzneimittel AG
IKEA Retail Ukraine
- Acted for STADA Arzneimittel AG on a major M&A deal involving the acquisition of a pharmaceutical business. The firm provided legal support on all land and real estate aspects including “red flag” legal due diligence of land plot, real estate objects; environmental legal due diligence; development of agreement related to the distribution of parties’ liability in the maintenance of the utilities and other common assets; legal advice on all other land and real estate-related issues during the project realisation.
- Assisting ESE International AG with a comprehensive legal and tax audit (due diligence) of three wind farm projects with a capacity of over 50MW, purchased for further construction of wind farms.
- Full legal support to Puma Ukraine in all aspects of commercial leases of the offices and commercial premises located in the major Business and Shopping centres in Kyiv, Kryvyi Rih, and Lviv regions.
At Asters, the focus is on handling complex real estate projects and resolving unusual issues related to land and property, including those related to commercial, residential, land, industrial or infrastructure development. Its work covers deal structuring and negotiation, compliance matters and dispute resolution. Oleg Boichuk and Roman Kostenko jointly lead the real estate practice with Anzhelika Livitska (who is 'one of the best land law and environmental law specialists in Ukraine') also playing a key role. Energy partner Yaroslav Petrov is also recommended.
Oleg Boichuk; Roman Kostenko; Anzhelika Livitska
Other key lawyers:
‘The real estate and construction practice of Asters has unique qualities, such as high professionalism, punctuality, high quality of information, analytics and judicial practice provided. The practice team has a high level of involvement in the processes. Employees respond quickly to enquiries.’
‘I would like to highlight energy partner Yaroslav Petrov. It is necessary to note the high professionalism of Yaroslav, his deep understanding of the processes occurring in the industry and in a particular business. Yaroslav possesses high communication skills, conducts excellent negotiations. Yaroslav is attentive to details, but clearly understands the essence of the issues.’
‘Anzhelika Livitska shows excellent results when performing complex tasks. She possesses a high level of knowledge of Ukrainian law and the practice of its application. When leading projects, he is deeply immersed in the study of the details of the issue. She is very responsible when carrying out orders. She always provides the results of work on time.’
‘The largest and most versatile team of the market.’
‘Anzhelika Livitska is one of the best land law and environmental law specialist in Ukraine. She is both taking care of the client and the development of national legislation. Oleg Boichuk is a responsible and reliable professional.’
Ateliers de France
Concorde Industries AG
Consortium of EMIT Group S.r.l. and Atzwanger
Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Limited (IBRC)
Philip Morris Ukraine
Quinn Properties Ukraine
Webuild SpA (exSalini Impregilo)
Wine Bureau (Goodwine)
- Advising Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Limited (IBRC) in relation to major shopping mall (Univermag Ukraina) and office building (BC Leonardo as owned by Quinn Properties Ukraine), in which IBRC holds interest, across a spectrum of legal matters, including negotiation and registration of leases, land and reconstruction matters, advising various on operational issues and risks related to the commercial real estate in Kiev downtown, as well as general advice on multiple Ukrainian law matters.
- Advising PRADA Group in connection with full support of all day-to-day legal issues and operation of its first mono-brand boutique in Ukraine.
- Advising consortium of EMIT Group S.r.l. and Atzwanger in connection with contract for the reconstruction of water treatment plant in one of Ukrainian cities.
Avellum is a key adviser on real estate regulation in Ukraine, as well as handling land plot allotment, major construction projects and high-value leases. The firm acts for both domestic and international shareholders, investors and real estate developers, with recent work including investments in port terminals and energy storage facilities. It also acts for clients on the development of recreational, residential and commercial premises. Managing partner Mykola Stetsenko and Maksym Maksymenko are the key practitioners. They have 'strong communication skills, as well as the ability to adapt to the client's circumstances'. Recent work included advising a major oil and gas producer on the acquisition of a large oil transshipment terminal.
Mykola Stetsenko; Maksym Maksymenko
‘Commercial awareness, good negotiation and project management skills, involvement in legislative process.’
‘Mykola Stetsenko and Maksym Maksymenko have strong communication skills, as well as the ability to adapt to the client’s circumstances and offer extraordinary decisions.’
‘Avellum has one of the best real estate and construction practices in Ukrainian legal market.’
‘Maksym Maksymenko has very good knowledge and experience. It seems that he always knows how to find a solution even in a very tricky real estate matter.’
Concern Galnaftogaz (OKKO Group)
- Advised a leading Ukrainian oil and gas producer on the acquisition of an oil transshipment terminal with an area of 5,000 sq. m. via the public auction.
- Advised a leading state-owned conglomerate based in Hong Kong on its acquisition of stake in terminal operating company in the Odessa Sea Port from a world leader in shipping and logistics.
- Advised a client on joint investment into the development of a real estate complex consisting of huge grocery store, two business-centres and underground parkings with a total area of more than 55,000 sq. m.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office
At Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office, 'the expertise in the field of real estate is unparalleled', according to one of its clients. Recent work included advising EBRD and the Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services on reform of the construction sector's regulatory framework. The practice is jointly led by Serhiy Piontkovsky and Lina Nemchenko, who have extensive experience of real estate development and construction projects, leases and mortgages, property investment financing and disputes.
Serhiy Piontkovsky; Lina Nemchenko
‘This is one of the most professional legal services firms I have worked with worldwide. The expertise in the field of real estate is unparalleled.’
‘Lina Nemchenko is the partner I have worked with for many years and I have been so impressed with professionalism and knowledge of real estate laws and regulations in Ukraine. Lina is very client-oriented and always gets back to her clients in a timely and informative manner. ’
‘In my opinion the firm provides one of the best quality services on the Ukrainian real estate market, the core area of our business in Ukraine. This is based on the firm’s unparalleled transaction experience on the market. Also, of utmost importance to us is the firm’s ability to connect and open important doors, a key element of success in any emerging market such as Ukraine. The strengths are its high-quality client-oriented service and broad and deep experience.’
‘Serhiy Piontkovsky, managing partner, is our key legal contact within the firm as he helped us deal with general, real estate and corporate issues. Serhiy Piontkovsky’s extensive experience on the market continues to be his biggest strength. In addition, he is very client-oriented which is also very important to us.’
La Societe des Centres Commerciaux
Metal Yapi Konut Anonim Sirkeri
Unibudinvest Venture Fund
State Property Fund
- Advising EBRD and the Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine on reforming the construction sector’s regulatory framework in Ukraine. The project is aimed to develop a detailed action plan to harmonise national construction legislation and regulations with the respective best international practices, including EU ones, as appropriate.
- Advising the State Property Fund of Ukraine on privatization of 78.289% of shares in Centrenergo, one of the largest Ukrainian power-generation companies.
- Advising the State Property Fund of Ukraine on privatization of 100% of shares in United Mining and Chemical Company, one of the Europe’s largest producer of titanium ores concentrates.
CMS is best known for its property work in the energy sector, in which it handles real estate matters for major project developments. Nevertheless, the firm also handles large transactions in other industries. It recently advised one of the world’s leading sport and clothing companies on the expansion of its operations to Ukraine to produce winter sports products. Natalia Kushniruk and Anna Pogrebna are the lead partners in 'a professional local team, that is very proactive, responsive and collaborative'. Energy partner Vitaliy Radchenko is also recommended.
Natalia Kushniruk; Anna Pogrebna
‘A professional local team, that is very proactive, responsive and collaborative.’
‘CMS Ukraine’s real estate and construction team has in-depth knowledge of local legislation and international business and is able to provide legal support and also advise from a commercial point of view. ’
‘Vitaliy Radchenko is a professional in this area with a business-minded approach.’
Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego and KUKE S.A.
- Advising the client on its contemplated establishment of two bespoke joint ventures in connection with contemplated construction of a large air separation unit; and on a contemplated rare gases joint venture in Ukraine.
- Advising the client on the expansion of its operations to Ukraine to produce winter sports products (one of the few greenfield development projects in Ukraine).
- Legal advice to a global leader in smart technologies and complete lifecycle solutions for the marine and energy markets on enforceability of various EPC structures on implementation of several projects that involves the supply of the equipment and construction of the power plants in Ukraine.
DLA Piper Ukraine Limited Liability Company's first-rate reputation for real estate belies the size of its practice, with the firm handling some of the largest transactions in Ukraine. Its recent groundbreaking deals included advising supermarket chain Billa with a major extension to the lease of its flagship site in Kiev. The firm has also been a key player in major new developments in the infrastructure, retail and transport sectors. Natalia Kochergina is among the market's leading practitioners. Clients note that 'working together is always a pleasure'. In addition, the practice garners praise for 'engagement, flexibility and willingness to be open to new challenges'.
‘Experienced team with many years of experience. Working together on different projects is always a pleasure. Recommendations are always based on Ukrainian legislation and practice.’
‘Engagement, flexibility, open for new challenges.’
Mariupol Investment Group
- Advising Billa on securing a record eight-year lease extension agreement with Kyiv City Council for its flagship store in the Bessarabskyi Market in Kyiv. The firm advised the client on all stages of the transaction: preparing and submitting documents to the Kyiv City Council, representing the client at sessions in the Permanent Commission of Kyiv City Council on Property Matters, negotiations with authorities as well as executing the lease agreement between Billa and the Department of Municipal Property of the Kyiv City Council for the new term.
Sayenko Kharenko provides 'quick responses and a transparent way of working, and is committed to getting the best results for its clients'. The firm is adept in acquisitions and disposals, property and land leases, investment and construction arrangements, regulatory matters and real estate litigation. Oleksandr Nikolaichyk, Sergey Pogrebnoy and Vladimir Sayenko are the lead partners. Also noted is that the firm hired new partner Svitlana Gurieieva from retailer Auchan; she specialises in real estate and construction matters. Senior associates Kuzma Pozychaniuk and Tymur Enkhbaiar are recommended for real estate disputes and transactions respectively.
Oleksandr Nikolaichyk; Sergey Pogrebnoy; Vladimir Sayenko
Other key lawyers:
Svitlana Gurieieva; Kuzma Pozichanyuk; Tymur Enkhbaiar
‘The team of Sayenko Kharenko provides quick responses and a transparent way of working, and is committed to getting the best results for its clients and partners. They have a good reputation, I always recommend them to others for Ukrainian matters.’
‘We worked with Kuzma Pozychaniuk. He is very methodical in bringing all the details of the case together. He discusses the strategy with us, which helps us to adopt a mutual approach to the issue.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
Risoil Kherson LLC and Risoil Olvia LLC
- Providing structuring advice for the largest impact-investment pioneer project in Ukraine “Promprylad.Renovation”.
- Advising Orexim Group on sale of grain terminal business to Posco International Corporation.
- Representing the interests of the Auchan’s group companies in several litigations related to the protection of property rights to land plots unlawfully alienated by the third parties.
Vasil Kisil & Partners' clients note that the team's strengths include ‘very good communication, adherence to deadlines and a professional approach'. Practice head Alexander Borodkin leads the eight-lawyer group, which advises on the financing of real estate projects, construction matters, leases and acquisitions, public law issues and construction disputes. Senior associate Roman Riabenko is recommended for construction, agriculture and energy projects. Recent work included assisting Arcona Property Fund with the €30m acquisition of four Ukrainian companies and their real estate assets, as well as five development sites across Ukraine.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm provides very good communication, adherence to deadlines, and a professional approach, personified by Alexander Borodkin.’
Arcona Property Fund N.V.
Frontline Invest Capital ltd
International Business Centre LLC (Hilton hotel in Kyiv)
- Advising Arcona Property Fund (Arcona), the Euronext Amsterdam and Prague Stock Exchange listed Central European real estate fund, on all Ukrainian law aspects of acquiring the first two Ukrainian assets from the AIM-quoted Secure Property Development & Investment (SPDI).
- Advising Arcona Property Fund (Arcona), the Euronext Amsterdam and Prague Stock Exchange listed company that invests in commercial property in Central Europe, on all Ukrainian law aspects of acquiring four Ukrainian companies and five development sites in various parts of Ukraine from the AIM-quoted Secure Property Development & Investment (SPDI).
- Advising the consortium of NIRAS A/S, Deutsche Welle and BBC Media Action on implementing the European Commission technical and financial support to the Government of Ukraine, in its portion allocated to National Public Broadcaster of Ukraine.
Dentons handles real estate matters arising from cross-border M&A transactions and is a key adviser on project development in key sectors such as energy. The firm recently assisted a developer with real estate and land law issues related to the acquisition of a solar power plant project in Zakarpattya oblast. The firm is also known for its expertise in International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) standards, agriculture, and land law and real estate disputes. Oleg Batyuk is the key partner.
Grasshopper Solar Corporation
- Advised VLC Renewables, the Jersey-based fund established by Low Carbon and Vitol, on its investment in the first phase of a 500MW onshore wind farm at Zaporizhia in Ukraine.
- Advising a client on real estate and land law issues in connection with the acquisition of a solar power plant project, which is located in Zakarpattya oblast, Ukraine.
- Provided a global leader in optimised resource management with advice on real estate law matters in connection to the acquisition of a Ukrainian company.
At GORO legal, Ihor Kornev and Dmytro Ovsiy act for a wide range of national construction companies, investors and developers, notably in the energy sector, but also in industries such as retail and urban development. The firm recently acted for Interhome LLC on the $13m development of a smart residential complex in Odessa.
Ihor Kornev; Dmytro Ovsiy
Socar Energy Ukraine
Terra Project LLC
Art Bud Service
KAN Development LLC
24 Print LLC
- Advised Interhome LLC on residential project development.
- Provided Art Bud Service legal support on distribution centre construction.
- Advised Socar Energy Ukraine on land plots issues for fuel stations.
Gramatskiy&Partners' team is recognised for its expertise in commercial, residential and infrastructure construction projects. It frequently advises on the acquisition of ownership rights, commercial leases, land use, project finance, taxation and dispute resolution. The practice, which is led by Ernest Gramatskiy, recently assisted LLC “ATARA OM” with a $25m lease for non-residential premises in the Globus business centre. 'Client-oriented, careful, and thoughtful' associate Mykola Voytovich is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Our lawyers are an essential element to our business growth.’
‘We have been working with Gramatskiy&Partners for many years, and we are still satisfied with their expertise and their attitude to us.’
‘Mykola Voitovych is our unchangeable contact lawyer who effectively manages all the legal work. He is an attentive, highly experienced, client-oriented, careful, and thoughtful lawyer who is nice to deal with.’
LLC «Coworking Platforma Futura»
LLC “ATARA OM”
LLC «Coworking Platforma Leonardo»
LLC “Coworking Platforma Artzavod”
LLC “Ichiban Service Export”
LLC “Alpha Data”
LLC “Call Expert”
LLC “Master Call”
LLC ‘Fun Fud Family’
LLC “Software Co-work”
LLC “City Capital Group”
- Legal support of transactions of LLC “ATARA OM” for the lease of non-residential premises with an area of 8560 sq.m. at the business centre “Globus”, preparations of contracts and additional agreements, negotiations. The deal is for $25m.
- Legal support of transactions of LLC “ATARA OM” for the lease of non-residential premises with an area of 2375 sq.m. in the business center “Leonardo”, preparations of contracts and additional agreements, negotiations. The deal is for $7m.
- Legal support of transactions of LLC “ATARA OM” for the lease of non-residential premises with an area of 4382,50 sq.m. at Belarus, Minsk, 8, Aranska street, preparations of contracts and additional agreements, negotiations. The deal is for $12.5m.
Ilyashev & Partners is known as 'one of the most trusted and well-known Ukrainian law firms' and its team has 'the courage to fight for the best result'. Adept in real estate, land use and construction issues, the firm is known for its understanding of real estate investment structures, as well as its deep knowledge of the construction market and its capability in dispute resolution. Mikhail Ilyashev leads the practice, in which counsel Dmytro Hrybov is a key practitioner.
Other key lawyers:
Dmytro Hrybov; Roman Marchenko
‘The firm was perfect to efficiently represent us in several real estate lawsuits and reach the best result for us. We are in raptures over the high level of professionalism demonstrated by the team while working on our projects. Despite the stressful situations and a lot of unforeseen circumstances, the team managed to achieve the goals.’
‘I work closely with Mikhail Ilyashev and I think very highly of him. Mikhail is extraordinarily talented. Mikhail knows our market and company very well, understands its needs and gets to the heart of an issue. He is absolutely one of the best in Ukraine when it comes to real estate and construction issues, one of the leaders in this field.’
‘The team has a perfect understanding of real estate investment structures and advanced proficiency in analysing real estate sales.’
‘Mikhail Ilyashev and Roman Marchenko support high-quality real estate projects in an atmosphere where speed, flexibility and heavy workload are the expected norm. They facilitate best-in-class service and issue resolution.’
‘The team is very talented, as well as extremely disciplined. The overall level of service is perfect; they exceeded our expectations on all fronts. The appropriateness of their advice corresponds with the quality expected and value paid. They are extremely fast and reliable, with good knowledge and understanding of the real estate market. I liked their creativity and willingness to fight for a successful transaction. ’
‘This firm is a top-choice for challenging deals where you need to invent a new kind of solution or to improve the current practice. They work tirelessly to get the deal done, because they do care about their reputation. The main difference of Ilyashev & Partners is: they have the courage to fight for the best result ever, they never stop. As for the firm’s quality of service, I can say that till the present moment we have worked and keep working only with this firm as their standards of work totally correspond all our needs and demands.’
‘The team has deep knowledge of the construction market, with its technical specification, all regulation and insights.’
‘Mikhail Ilyashev and Dmytro Hrybov did a great job on our project!’
UPD Holdings Limited
Danube Shipping-Stevedoring Company
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
COFCO Agri Ukraine
Etrex, construction development company of Kyiv Region
M-Line Property Management (Kazakhstan)
BTA Bank (Kazakhstan)
- Advising Soltex Capital on the acquisition of Respublika Shopping Mall in Kiev.
- Advising UPD Holdings Limited on the acquisition of Ocean Plaza Shopping Mall in Kiev.
- Advising Budpostach – the leading national player of professional equipment and tooling market in Ukraine – on the acquisition of state property in Kiev.
Integrites focuses predominantly on the construction of renewable energy projects, which includes handling EPC contracts and project financing documents, as well as the acquisition of land. Real estate head Oleksiy Feliv recently assisted EuroCape with the development and construction of two wind farms with a total capacity of 500MW.
‘Integrites is the team of professionals able to consult or solve any difficult issue in the sphere, reliable, able to properly communicate with private sector and governmental authorities.’
‘The team is good at delivering advice on real estate issues. Yes, they are unique on the market. Probably, the best ones here. I would recommend their expertise to international companies, investors coming to Ukraine. They are compliant, transparent, easy to deal with and have strong expertise. They met my requirements and I could not ask for more.’
‘Oleksiy Feliv is very good in real estate issues. He knows the energy industry very well and that’s why he is aware of challenges we may face on our way and what initiatives should be done to avoid them or minimise the effect. He is a name to remember for companies operating in the renewable energy field.’
‘Oleksiy Feliv is the real estate expert in Ukraine. He could give us a perfect assessment of the situation of the real estate market, including price estimations and the situation at the local authorities and how the building permission will look. A very great benefit was that he was also perfectly speaking English, German, Russian and Ukrainian.’
AKW Ukrainian Kaolin
- Advising NBT AS on the development and construction of two projects: 250MW Syvash wind farm (€372m) and three wind farms with a total capacity of 792MW “Zophia” and investment of over €1.1 bn.
- Advising EuroCape on the development and construction of two wind farms with a total capacity of 500MW and investment of around €1bn.
- Advised Scatec Solar on the construction and development of four solar power plants with a total capacity of 289.4MW and investment of more than €260m.
Kinstellar in Kiev is part of a network of offices across the CEE region and central Asia. It handles a diverse range of work for both domestic and international clients, with particular strength in real estate and land acquisitions, leases, seaport concessions, PPPs and infrastructure projects, and real estate disputes. Counsel Oleg Matiusha leads the real estate, construction and planning practice, which acts for clients in key sectors such as energy, mining and agriculture.
State Property Fund of Ukraine (SPFU)
DEG – Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
World Bank Group
- Successfully represented Qatari port operator QTerminals LLC in the first ever and largest port concession tender in Ukraine to date. Kinstellar handled all Ukrainian law aspects of the tender project.
- Mandated by the World Bank Group to prepare a feasibility study that discusses the financing options for a major municipal transportation project in Kyiv, Troyeshina Rapid Transit.
- Retained to advise State Property Fund of Ukraine on privatisation of 99.5667% of the authorized capital of PJSC Odesa Port Plant, one of the largest enterprises of chemical industry of Ukraine.
KPD Consulting Law Firm
KPD Consulting Law Firm's clients praise the 'trustworthiness, responsiveness, quality of legal analysis and creativity’ of the practice. It has a specific focus on the needs of banking and investment institutions, including their real estate subsidiaries and funds, with respect to real estate, construction and collateral matters. Lead partner Vladyslav Kysil is 'one of the best professionals on the market with outstanding date knowledge of real estate legislation and court practice'.
‘Vladislav Kisil, head of KPD Consulting real estate practice, is a respected and knowledgeable practitioner. Although he has not appeared in major projects, he has regular involvement in banking and development matters, and is very active on legal market and policy reformation activity.’
‘Vladislav Kysil is a real professional with outstanding and up-to-date knowledge of real estate legislation and court practice. he is very open-minded and friendly. ’
‘Trustworthiness, responsiveness, quality of legal analysis and creativity.’
‘Vladislav Kysil is passionate about real estate and always demonstrates a proactive and result-oriented approach. Vladislav has an exceptional ability to see the most crucial points in the most complex and perplexing projects and to address them efficiently. He is always one step ahead of the client’s expectations.’
‘Ukrainian real estate and construction legislation is frequently changing and that’s why market players should provide close monitoring of their impact. KPD combines a team of professionals who not only know the peculiarities of the legislation, but also involved in legislation creation as members of professional associations and participants in state committees.’
‘Vladyslav Kysil is one of the best professionals on the market. I personally value Vladyslav as very important legal partner because of his deep knowledge of real estate and construction market and legislation combined with mortgage practices and vast experience in this area. Vladyslav has a proven track record and a lot of successful deals in the past. ’
‘KPD has unique and outstanding expertise in construction law.’
‘I may name Vladyslav Kysil as the most reputable construction lawyer of Ukraine. His knowledge of the industry is overwhelming.’
Veneziansky Office Centre
Kharkiv Tractor Plant
Energy Efficiency Fund
Market Development Group
Limes Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH
First National Reserve
Kiev Real Estate Recovery Fund
ING Bank Ukraine
Ukrsibbank (BNP Paribas)
DCH Infrastructure and Real Estate
Rustler Property Services
- Advising the state on a multimillion-dollar investment dispute with respect to expropriation of assets.
- Advised Ekopolis-Kharkiv on land law matters and regulatory aspects of establishing an industrial park.
- Advised Ukrsibbank (BNP Paribas) on the matters of heritage protection law related to renovation of buildings in protected areas.
Lexwell & Partners has 'a team of highly professional and motivated lawyers with proactive approach'. The 'practical, motivated and business-oriented' Andrei Kolupaev leads the practice, which has notable expertise in obtaining licences for large-scale mining and other natural resources projects. The firm recently assisted ArcelorMittal with applications for mining rights. It is also acknowledged to have in-depth knowledge of the office and retail sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Yuriy Fil; Igor Nagai
‘We used this firm for many years for various projects as they are our strategic legal partner in Ukraine. We assigned to Lexwell&Partners a number of sophisticated and high-profile legal matters which are critical for our smooth operations in Ukraine. They provide top quality and ensure best results. So, high quality, strong expertise and client-oriented approach are the strengths of the firm.’
‘My main contact is Andrei Kolupaev. His key strengths are strong expertise, hardworking nature and a practical approach.’
‘The team is very proactive and flexible. They are always available 24/7. Their professional level is also very high. ’
‘I am in contact with Andrei Kolupaev. He is very practical and motivated professional who knows his business extremely well. His business-oriented approach is beyond comparison.’
‘I work with Andrei Kolupaev and associate Yuriy Fil. Both look very impressive. 24/7 access and attention to details are what I like most.’
‘My main contact is Andrei Kolupaev, who leads his team. I have a very positive impression and like the high-end quality of the professional product he and his team produce. Besides, Andrei is a very hard worker.’
‘I have been working with the firm over ten years. Premium legal quality and client-oriented approach are the key strengths of the team. I like their hand-made and tailored approach to each specific case. I am really impressed by the high-end quality, in-depth legal analysis and top level of professionalism.’
‘I primarily work with Andrei Kolupaev and Igor Nagai. They work together smoothly and perfectly. They complement each other. Both are available 24/7, produce top quality and give the best possible result.’
Ukrainian Ministry of Justice
- Provided ArcelorMittal a full scope of services related to obtainment of the mining rights by ArcelorMittal in Ukraine.
- Provides Podilsky cement a full scope of services related to obtainment of the mining rights by CRH (Podilsky cement) in Ukraine.
- Provided Mykolaiv cement a full scope of services related to obtainment of the mining rights by CRH (Mykolaiv cement) in Ukraine.
Redcliffe Partners is involved in the financing and development of high-value projects, particularly in the alternative energy sector. It recently assisted EBRD and IFC with the $150m financing of a new private grain terminal in Ukraine’s Black Sea commercial port, and also acted for EBRD in a project to develop biomass plants. Newly promoted partner Svitlana Teush leads the practice.
Dutch Development Bank
- Advising EBRD and IFC on two extended parallel senior secured loans to M.V. Cargo to finance the construction of a new private grain terminal in Ukraine’s Black Sea commercial port, Yuzhny. This has been the largest project finance deal in the infrastructure sector of Ukraine, with the total projects costs estimated at some $150m.
- Advising Concord Consulting with respect to the privatisation of the President hotel, which includes due diligence and the analysis of the existing ownership and lease rights.
- Advised EBRD on $56m loan to Kernel, a leading agricultural company, for the construction of four biomass plants in different regions of Ukraine.
SDM Partners LLC demonstrates strong capabilities in real estate and land transactions, leasing matters and construction projects. In addition, its team is also noted for its regulatory advice. The firm has particular expertise in the healthcare sector, having acted for local and international chains of medical laboratories on long-term lease agreements, land purchases and construction projects. Serhiy Dzis and Dmytro Syrota are the main practitioners.
Serhiy Dzis; Dmytro Syrota
- Assisted KWS with obtaining all approvals for its factories’ operational activities which were engaged in the cultivation and processing of seed crops.
- Advised Barlinek on obtaining permits for land plots commercial usage including designated purpose amendment.
ADER HABER 'understands the need for a strategic approach in cases'. In addition to acting for clients on high-value transactions, much of the firm's work focuses on complex ad hoc and high-profile commercial property and planning disputes. Its client roster includes government bodies, international financial institutions and major corporates. The practice is led by Aleksandra Fedotova, who 'possesses deep knowledge and professional skills, and is very attentive to detail'.
‘I think that the accumulated experience, professional resources, deep knowledge of the market and the specifics of the industry allows ADER HABER to accompany and successfully complete the most complex projects in the field of construction and real estate.’
‘Aleksandra Fedotova possesses deep knowledge and professional skills, is very attentive to detail. A distinctive feature of Aleksandra, in addition to her excellent professional qualities, is a high degree of customer focus. Aleksandra is always efficient, quickly delves into the essence of the client’s needs and delivers the required result in a short time.’
‘Very personal and individual approach to their cases, are easy to reach and very available for questions. They also understand the need for a strategic approach in cases.’
‘I would especially like to note the professionalism and deep expertise of Aleksandra Fedotova, the high level of legal support provided to us, the quality of services and customer service during the required period.’
SINOHYDRO CORPORATION LIMITED
FUDMEREZHA, LLC (ТМ “Velyka Kyshenya”)
- Legal support to MERX on the acquisition of a land plot for real estate asset construction in the amount $17,000,000. The sale project entered the top five lots of the most expensive properties, which was sold at state auctions in the history of Ukraine.
- Legal support to MERX on the acquisition of real estate object for over 12 000 sqm. in Kyiv in the amount $16,000,000. The sale project entered the top five lots of the most expensive properties, which was sold at state auctions in the history of Ukraine.
- Legal support to MERX on acquiring a real estate asset – a business center with an area of 28,000 sq.m. in the amount of $11,000,000.
Antika Law Firm
Antika Law Firm acts for clients on land sales and commercial real estate transactions, as well as construction projects and litigation. One of the key figures in the team is Sergii Korniienko, who garners praise for 'his competence, deep legal expertise and his intention to bring to the client valuable legal advice'. He jointly leads the practice with managing partner Alexey Kot and Alexander Burtovoy.
Alexey Kot; Alexander Burtovoy; Sergii Korniienko
‘The advice given by Antika is always accurate, competent and timely.’
‘We strongly believe that the team of Antika Law Firm includes professionals of a high level. We have a wonderful opportunity to work with the partner of the firm Serhii Korniienko in the field of real estate and construction. We are amazed by his competence in current legislation, deep legal expertise and his intention to bring to the client valuable legal advice that may influence the successful outcome of the case.’
Maxibud Engineering, LLC
Saturn NVP, PJSC
AWT Bavaria, LLC
- Legal support to AWT Bavaria, LLC on the construction of the second start-up complex of the BMW dealership in the village of Gora, Boryspil district, Kiev region, including the development of the project structure, support in obtaining permits and other necessary documentation, drafting and support of conclusion and execution of contracts, participation in work meetings.
Eterna Law's real estate team is mainly focused on issues arising from corporate transactions, and it also handles large real estate investments for high-net-worth individuals. The group is active in complex commercial and industrial projects both domestically and regionally; its work covers negotiations with local authorities for permits, land allotment and use. Corporate partner Oleh Malskyy leads the practice.
- Advising First Ukrainian International Bank on the question of registration of the rights on a mortgaged estate. Original mortgage loans were registered under Ukrainian legislation. The task was to register this mortgaged estate according to Russian legislation and to create the mechanism of the protection of the creditor from the sale of the mortgage actives in the period until the Real Estate Register starts its work.
GOLAW acts for investors on cross-border real estate transactions, property management matters and leases. In addition, it assists developers with contractual matters arising from the construction of industrial projects, including the drafting of cross-border EPC contracts. The firm's recent work has included many high-value leasing matters. It advised Ubisoft Ukraine on the $20m long-term lease of a business centre for ten years. Sergiy Oberkovych and Max Lebedev are the lead partners.
Sergiy Oberkovych; Max Lebedev
KBPP Management Ltd.
Beycelik-Elawan Renewable Energy
Georgian International Energy Corporation
- Advised Georgian International Energy Corporation on $5m in EPC contracts with Risen Energy for the solar power plant construction.
- Advised Beycelik-Elawan on the 40-year leasehold land for construction of 50MW wind farm.
- Advised Ubisoft Ukraine on $20m long-term lease of a business center for ten years.
KM Partners has a broad practice that handles contentious matters, real estate taxation, land title registrations for construction projects, EPC contracts and construction financing. Practice head Maxim Oleksiyuk has extensive experience in the development of logistics parks, business centres and housing projects, as well as infrastructure projects involving port terminals, railway branches and quarries.
- Assisted an investment fund with a legal audit of certain plots of land in the suburbs of Kiev.
- Long-term legal support to a leading manufacturer of construction and finishing materials on issues of ownership and use of land plots.
- Legal assistance to a large investment company in relation to the protection of agricultural land from illegal use by third parties.
KPMG Law in Ukraine
KPMG Law in Ukraine's varied workload covers financing, litigation and project development. The firm recently acted for E-Group on the development and financing of a solar power plant in Ukraine, which included negotiations with EPC contractors and town-planning authorities. Sergey Popov and Yuriy Katser jointly lead the practice, which also handles the acquisition and divestment of commercial, industrial, retail, hospitality and residential assets.
Sergey Popov; Yuriy Katser
CTPark Lviv LLC, a leading developer of industrial parks
China National Complete Engineering Corporation Ukraine (CCEC Ukraine)
Busserk, a leading Turkish seaport operator
- Comprehensive legal support to E-Group in connection with development and financing of the solar power plant in Ukraine.
- Supported Busserk in bidding in Kherson Sea Port concesions tender, in particular, conducting legal due diligence of the target, advising on bidding process and qualification requirements.
- Acted for CTPark in a land dispute within the implementation of the first project in Ukraine on the development of an industrial park in Lviv.
LEXJUS is 'knowledgable and flexible in its approach' and it frequently handles real estate matters involving malls, office centres and energy projects. The firm recently assisted Turkish company Demircioglu with due diligence and the acquisition of land plots in the Dnipropetrovsk and Mykolaiv regions for solar power stations with a combined capacity of 40MW. Real estate head Volodymyr Chuba and litigation head Andrii Gusak are the names to note.
Volodymyr Chuba; Andrii Gusak
‘The team is knowledgeable and flexible in its approach when it deals with legal issues in real estate. They are reasonable in solving legal problems.’
‘Volodymyr Chuba is hardworking and creative in his protection of clients. He is very competent.’
TRC Lavina, LLC
Tsentr Comertsiynyh Ploshch, LLC
Piramida Trade, LLC
POLTAVA TRADE AND FINANCIAL COMPANY, LLC
DEMIRCIOGLU MERMER SAN. VE TIC. TAAH. LTD. STI.
- Advising Invest-Budgarant on lease matters in respect of 122,000 sq.m of Ocean Mall in Kiev.
- Advising TRC Lavina on lease matters in respect of 155,000 sq.m of Lavina Mall in Kiev.
- Advising DEMIRCIOGLU MERMER SAN on the acquisition of land plots for placement of solar power stations with a total capacity of more than 40MW.
PwC Legal's real estate practice combines the expertise of lawyers and tax professionals to provide full-service support. Clients of the firm include local and multinational companies, developers, hospitality organisations, municipal and governmental institutions, NGOs, investment funds and private investors and agricultural businesses. The practice, which is led by Olga Balytska, is frequently involved in public sector projects. It recently assisted Kyiv City Council with the reform of its infrastructure programme and development of a unified database of lease agreements.
Dmytro Ogniev, private farmer
Kyiv City Council
CCEC-Ukraine Co., LTD
LLC REGAL PETROLEUM CORPORATION (UKRAINE) LIMITED
- Fighting for the constitutional right of each Ukrainian citizen to sell or buy his property (farmland).
- Acted as an adviser in terms of the largest M&A Deal in the Ukrainian telecoms market.
Shkrebets & Partners has significant involvement in large construction projects in the Kharkiv region. A notable recent example included its work on a $350m project for the construction of the city's metro network. In addition, the firm also handled a $44m project to build a new solid waste processing plant. The practice is jointly led by local partners Evgeniy Shkrebets, Andriy Syvak and Olexiy Meniv.
Evgeniy Shkrebets; Andriy Syvak; Oleksii Meniv
ME“Zhylkomservis”, a major enterprise rendering housing and utilities services to the inhabitants of the city of Kharkiv
- Advising Kharkiv City Council on the metro construction in Kharkiv. Legal analysis of the documents for metro construction. Participation in negotiations, legal support of real estate alienation transactions, legal support for the implementation of construction projects, with preliminary development of the financial structure of construction.
- Advised ME Kharkivzelenstroy on the reconstruction of the Taras Shevchenko Garden in Kharkiv. The deal was complex as such reconstruction is one of the biggest reconstruction projects of parks and gardens in the Kharkiv region.
- Assisted Kharkiv ZOO with drafting contracts, legal support of all the process of reconstruction, and development of tender documentation for the sum of $81,500,000.
Clients of Totum appreciate the 'composure and competency of the team, and the accuracy of its results’. The lead partners are Bohdan Yaskiv, Yuriy Khapko and litigator Oleksandr Voroniuk who specialise in real estate, development, land and agricultural law. They act for Ukrainian and foreign investors on investment transactions and project development mandates, as well as related disputes. Yaskiv leads the land law committee of the Ukrainian Advocates’ Association.
Bohdan Yaskiv; Yuriy Khapko; Oleksandr Voroniuk
‘We appreciate the composure and competency of the team, and the accuracy of its results.’
ZV REALTY LLC
DOKA Ukraine LLC with foreign investments
PJSC SIC Borshchahivskyi CPP
UZIN SOLAR LLC
- Assisted PrJSC UMMC with legal due diligence of the client’s land use to determine the mechanisms for reducing the land lease fees in Darnytskyi district of Kyiv with further registration of the land leasehold.
- Assisted DOKA UKRAINE LLC with registration of the land leasehold for the operation of the real estate owned by the client. The real estate is used by one of the leading international manufacturers and suppliers of formwork used in all areas of the construction sector.
Wolf Theiss is a key adviser to industrial companies investing in the construction of new facilities in Ukraine. The firm also frequently handles the real estate aspects of cross-border M&A and real estate litigation. It recently assisted IT company Oracle with the lease and construction of its premises in Odessa. Corporate partner Taras Dumych is the main contact. Associate Olena Kravtsova also handles real estate matters.
Other key lawyers:
Optimum Solar Kft.
Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings
- Advising RMD Group, a Canadian investor in Ukraine, in connection with a dispute related to real estate investments made in agricultural production properties.
- Advising Optimum Solar Kft., a leading Hungarian solar power equipment producer and developer of solar power projects, on Ukrainian law issues in connection with entry into the Ukrainian solar generation market and development of a number of solar energy projects.
- Advising Oracle in relation to the lease and construction of office premises in the city of Odessa.