Aequo has a first-rate IP offering, despite seeing former practice head Oleksandr Mamunya leave to launched his own firm, Mamunya IP, The group includes counsel Nataliya Dryuk, who has more than 12 years of experience in IP litigation. In addition, senior patent attorney Nataliia Nesterenko and Yulia Chyzhova are also vastly experienced practitioners. Counsel Tetiana Kudrytska was formerly head of the government's judicial reform department. Other key figures include of counsel Mykola Kovinya, who joined from Kovinya Consulting and senior associate Alina Podolyak, who was hired from Show4me Music Interaction Network. The firm handles the full range of contentious IP work, as well as advising on IP registration and portfolio management. IT head Mykyta Polatayko is also recommended.
Intellectual property in Ukraine
Nataliya Dryuk; Tetiana Kudrytska
Other key lawyers:
Nataliia Nesterenko; Yulia Chyzhova; Mykola Kovinya; Alina Podolyak; Mykyta Polatayko
‘An excellent team with exceptional attention to detail, they quickly grasp the instructions and are very passionate about the work.’
‘Mykyta Polatayko has a very strong background in the field of technology and focuses on finding solutions in exceptional cases. He is very result-oriented and fast.’
Alois Dallmayr Kaffee OHG
Bosca Cora S.p.A.,
CO “100% life”
Darnitsa Pharmaceutical Firm
Du Pont (E.I. du Pont de Nemours)
Jeunesse Global Holdings
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.
- Represented the Network of PLWHin the first case in the history of Ukraine within which patients’ organisation challenged patents for HIV drugs of a big international pharmaceutic manufacturer. The case is unique for Ukraine being the first patent cancellation action initiated by patients’ organization. Challenged patents were terminated.
- Successfully represented Forbes in 10 Forbes trademark early termination actions based on non-use. Thus, the firm protected trade mark registrations being the core and most valuable intangible assets of the client. After that in May 2020 Forbes Ukraine magazine was relaunched in Ukraine by the new publisher.
- Advising Dallmayr on different aspects of IP and related issues the client faces in the framework of doing business in Ukraine: anti-counterfeiting issues, infringement of rights to trademarks by unfair trade mark and design registrations made in favour of third parties, black import (smuggling), domain name infringement.
Arzinger excels in the management of trade mark portfolios, strategic IP advice and all forms of domestic IP litigation. The firm has also developed a strong reputation in data protection and privacy matters. Its work extends beyond Ukraine, as it increasingly handles IP matters across the EMEA and CIS regions. Kateryna Oliinyk, who is a patent attorney and an arbitrator for domain disputes, and Taras Kyslyy, jointly lead the practice. Senior associate Tetiana Slabko is recommended for both IP and data protection matters.
Kateryna Oliinyk; Taras Kyslyy
Other key lawyers:
Santa Bremor Ltd
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
RiGO Trading S.A. (Haribo corporation)
Elsevier BV (RELX group)
Nickelodeon (with Gowling WLG)
Conte SPA (with Kubriakov &Co)
- Representing Olicon AB, a Swedish manufacturer of patented cladding systems made of stone and steel, before Ukrainian courts in number of patent disputes, namely: court action regarding patent infringement committed by Ukrainian company; court actions regarding invalidation of several patents for industrial designs. As far as IP rights are the main asset of the Client, an outcome of the described patent disputes will have a significant impact on its business in Ukraine in general. The case is complicated by the fact that all court actions are taking place simultaneously and require explicit costs associated with forensic IP expertize.
- Assisting RIGO TRADING S.A. (Haribo Corporation) with managing its brand portfolio in the EMEA region. The work included the development of different strategies for overcoming of the provisional refusals based onto the absolute and relative grounds for refusal of brand legal protection; carrying out negotiations with the holders of the opposed marks, obtaining letters of consents, drafting the tailored coexistence agreements; aligning all the activities and strategies with the general brand protection strategies adopted onto the international level; and representing interests of the client and coordinating actions before local and foreign TMOs and appellate instances.
- Assisted STADA with the revision of a set of contracts regulating commercial activities of the company in Ukraine, and issues related to intellectual property, confidentiality, licensing and trademarks assignment.
Asters handles M&A-related IP matters, and it also acts for clients on franchising, technology transfer, unfair competition and litigation. It frequently assists large domestic and international companies with trade mark searches and registration, as well as the management of patents, trade secrets and copyright. It also has a niche practice in the protection of plant varieties. Practice head Julia Semeniy handles both strategic and contentious matters. Associates Olena Kozhokar and Yuliia Matsiuk also play key roles.
Other key lawyers:
Olena Kozhokar; Yuliia Matsiuk
Mahle International GmbH
Millennium & Copthorne
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Zwack Unicum Nyrt
- Advised Zwack Unicum Nyrt. on several disputes regarding invalidation of trade marks that are confusingly similar with client’s trademarks relating to famous Hungarian Unicum herbal liqueur.
- Advising Miber AB on intellectual property issues in connection with transfer of IP rights.
- Providing Coverack Properties Ukraine LLC with assistance in obtaining a licence to use the trade marks “swissôtel”, “Pürovel” in Kyiv.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office is praised for its 'appropriate and commercial advice on IP enforcement issues'. It provides the full spectrum of services to protect, manage and enforce the IP rights of international and local companies in Ukraine and the CIS region. It handles the registration of trade marks and patents in Ukraine, as well as protecting clients against unfair business practices. Ruslan Drobyazko leads the practice, in which 'attentive, responsive and commercially astute' counsel Oleksiy Stolyarenko is a standout practitioner. Nissan and British American Tobacco are among the key clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘Appropriate and commercial advice on IP enforcement issues. The team is attentive and responsive to our enquiries and works as a partner with our in-house enforcement team.’
‘I have worked with Oleksiy Stolyarenko for a number of years and he is always on hand to assist with enforcement of IP issues in Ukraine. He is attentive and responsive providing commercially astute advice. He is a good partner and is knowledgeable of our company and industry.’
‘It is necessary to note the high professionalism of the team, its operational work and its client orientation.’
British American Tobacco
- Advising BAT Group on all aspects of trade mark protection in Ukraine. The firm acts as Ukrainian patent attorneys of BAT Group and is responsible for management of their trade mark portfolio.
- Successfully representing BAT Group in a number online enforcement actions against the trademark infringers including two UDRP actions that recently became available in Ukraine for the domain name zones com.ua and .ua resulting in transfer of two infringing domain names to the client.
- Successfully represented Berlin-Chemie in the commercial litigation in a trade mark cancellation action with respect to a competing generic pharmaceutical company in Ukraine in relation to one of the major Berlin-Chemie brands Nimesil against the competing product Nimesin. The decision of the first instance was upheld by the Northern Commercial Court Appellate Court.
DLA Piper Ukraine Limited Liability Company has ‘a professional and efficient approach, with strong knowledge of the local law and practices’. The firm has a stellar roster of clients, including global social media and e-commerce brands. The team is heavily involved in non-contentious IP work, such as trade mark searches and filings, as well as IP issues arising from large M&A transactions. The firm is also involved in contentious matters including customs enforcement, cease and desist matters and the development of IP protection strategies. Legal director Natalia Kirichenko heads the team.
‘Very thorough. Understood what we needed and guide us through the process. Extremely professional.’
‘A professional and efficient approach, with strong knowledge of the local law and practices.’
NEQSOL Holding (NEQSOL Holding Azerbaijan LLC)
- Assisting NEQSOL Holding (NEQSOL Holding Azerbaijan LLC) with conducting IP due diligence of a target company, advising on IP matters and telecom regulatory, preparation of IP parts of transactional documents and other ongoing support.
- Assisting NEQSOL Holding (NEQSOL Holding Azerbaijan LLC) with conducting due-diligence on IP, telecom and data protection matters of VF Ukraine PrJSC, as well as preparing IP, telecom and data protection sections of Listing Particulars of VFU Funding PLC on its debut issuance of $500m 6.20% loan participation notes listed on Euronext Dublin (Global Exchange Market) for the sole purpose of financing a loan to VF Ukraine PrJSC (operates in Ukraine under Vodafone brand).
Doubinsky & Osharova
At boutique IP firm Doubinsky & Osharova, the practice can be characterised by 'a strong team and a professional approach, and understanding and knowledge of the industry and market changes'. The group is led by Victoria Sopilnyak and Tatyana Shpakovich, and features veteran partners Irina Osharova and Michael Doubinsky. It focuses predominantly on the life sciences, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, FMCG, food and beverage, and agribusiness sectors. The firm advises large global brands such as McDonald's and BMW on IP rights protection, and it also has a dedicated patents practice.
Victoria Sopilnyak; Tatyana Shpakovich
Other key lawyers:
Irina Osharova; Michael Doubinsky
‘The firm shows high standards and quality. A strong team and a professional approach, and understanding and knowledge of the industry and market changes.’
‘I work directly with Victoria Sopilnyak. This is a high-level professional. For me, Victoria is the face of this company since we have been working for several years.’
The COCA-COLA Company
McDonald’s International Property Co., Ltd
Jack Daniel’s Properties, Inc.
R &A Bailey & Co
Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha (Toyota Motor Corporation)
Exxon Mobil Corporation
Nemiroff Vodka Co
THREE BEARS, LLC
IDS Borjomi Ukraine
President and Fellows of Harvard College
- Successfully represented Jack Daniel’s before the Ukrainian Supreme Court, which, on May 28, 2020, upheld the company’s cassation appeal to invalidate the trademark certification in Ukraine for “Black Jack” (and the certification for its Cyrillic-spelled variant).
- Successfully represented Lukoil in a trademark dispute in Ukraine against Luxoil, a Russian manufacturer of automobile oils.
- Successfully defended McDonald’s right to well-known “Mc” trademark in Ukraine.
At Ilyashev & Partners, managing partner Mikhail Ilyashev and counsel Oleksandr Padalka lead the practice, in which patent and trade mark attorney Irina Kirichenko is another key practitioner. The firm is particularly well-known for its work in IP litigation, and it is also increasingly involved in commercial IP matters. Global brands such as TikTok and The Kraft Heinz Company call on the firm for IP portfolio management, trade mark and patent prosecution, enforcement, franchising and licensing matters.
Mikhail Ilyashev; Oleksandr Padalka
Other key lawyers:
‘The team was supportive, diligent, gave excellent advice and was easy to work with.’
‘The firm was thorough and the advice was very detailed, clear. I felt happy to trust in its expertise.’
Ukrainian Red Cross Society
Mars Media Entertainment
The Kraft Heinz Company
R&D Enterprise Hetman
- Advising TikTok on restrictions and prohibitions on advertising goods and services on a foreign Internet resource targeted to Ukraine.
- Advising Xiaomi on the protection of rights to trade marks and domain names.
- Advised Ukrainian Red Cross Society on termination of violations related to illegal use of the Red Cross Emblem in Ukraine.
IPStyle Patent Law Company is 'very responsive and extremely knowledgeable, and is able to handle complex cross-border anti-counterfeiting cases'. It has highly experienced IP lawyers, trade mark experts and patent attorneys, as well as technical specialists. The firm is a leader in trade mark and patent applications, as well as handling IP-related disputes. Managing partner Mariya Ortynska and Iryna Ortynska (who is the head of inventions, utility models and industrial designs) are the lead practitioners in a ten-lawyer group, which 'always gives smart and simple solutions that help resolve cases'. Associate Oksana Padokh is also highly recommended.
Mariya Ortynska; Iryna Ortynska
Other key lawyers:
‘I mainly communicate with Oksana Padokh and she is easy to work with, values client’
‘They are very kind and helpful. I receive prompt responses and comments for our applications. I believe that compared to other firms the communication is very strong. We have a good understanding of each other.’
‘I have worked with IPStyle CEO Mariya Ortynska for many years and have been inspired by her growth as well as value her ability to see the broad picture and then take it to pieces to understand the case in every little detail. Such deep immersion is the key to her success and the success of the team. What is more, Mariya is the person who acts on the IP market locally and internationally and always keeps her knowledge and business advanced. ’
‘One of my contacts on trade mark issues is Oksana Padokh. Oksana is very professional and always gives full information regarding the question. Additionally, in five years she studied well our needs, industry, the goods we are producing and selling. That helps us to work together with IPStyle even better.’
‘It is a unique company that deals with a wide range of intellectual property issues. We always turn to them in the most difficult situations. For example, if necessary, register the most difficult trade marks, utility models, industrial designs, inventions.’
‘A very high level of professionals, especially Maria Ortynska, Oksana Padokh and others. Whenever we contact them, they can quickly and efficiently advise us. Their advice is always accurate, they correctly assess the risks when registering, and they do everything quickly and efficiently.’
‘We work with IPStyle on trade mark-related questions. Namely, a number of trade mark searches in different jurisdictions were conducted, national as well as international TM registrations were filed. What is unique in our experience working with IPStyle is that they are not only strictly doing what is requested but always trying to give the added value to their services. Such proactiveness, in my mind, is a very valuable approach. In general, the IPStyle team is responsive, always in touch, and transparent in billing.’
‘One of my main contacts on trade mark-related matters is Oksana Padokh, who is easy to communicate with, always precise and professional. I am very comfortable working with Oksana also in that sense that I feel always safe that each deadline and all the formalities will be met.’
Nova Poshta LLC
Oleksii Sharkov, Georgii Makarov, Hlib Makarov, Kostiantyn Trypolskyi, Serhii Babenko, Sergii Zibrov (a group of individual inventors who specialise in the development of weapons and other military products)
EXMO Finance LLP
Wolverine World Wide, Inc. and its subsidiaries, including Saucony Inc, Saucony UK Inc, Sperry Top-Sider LLC, Keds LLC
B.S.A. International SA
VELTA HOLDING US Inc. and RD Ti
- Assisted Nova Poshta LLC with obtaining its major trade mark ‘NOVA POSHTA’.
- Assisted Oleksii Sharkov, Georgii Makarov, Hlib Makarov, Kostiantyn Trypolskyi, Serhii Babenko and Sergii Zibrov (a group of individual inventors who specialize in the development of weapons and other military products) with obtaining invention patents for firearms in Ukraine, with further territorial extension through the PCT procedure aimed at the protection of the inventions in the leading military jurisdictions (namely, in the US, Israel, and the EU through the EPO).
- Advising UkrOboronProm’s top management, as well as innovation and engineering teams, on the improvement and rebuilding of the IP management and commercialisation strategy.
Mikhailyuk, Sorokolat & Partners
Mikhailyuk, Sorokolat & Partners is a a large IP boutique with more than 230 lawyers in its CIS offices, which include Moscow, Moldova and Kazakhstan. Based in Kharkiv, Anna Mikhailyuk and Valentin Mikhailyuk are the key names in a four-partner practice. They recently acted for one of the world's biggest technology companies, Xiaomi, in contentious matters in Ukraine and Russia. Sergiy Sorokolat has expertise in trade mark and design matters. From trade mark cancellation and registration to patent applications, the firm handles every aspect of IP work, including litigation.
Anna Mikhailyuk; Valentin Mikhailyuk
Other key lawyers:
MSP is able to provide its services in CIS territory which is beneficial to any company that operates outside of the region.’
‘My work with MSP allows me to interact with both the patent and trade mark teams, which are responsive, agile, and helpful.’
‘We appreciate their seamless one-stop services covering the CIS countries. In particular, we find in merit in their ability to be able to provide information and advices for multiple jurisdictions with a short turnaround.’
XIAOMI H.K. LIMITED
- Advised XIAOMI H.K. LIMITED on ceasing intellectual property infringements in Ukraine.
Pakharenko & Partners has a track record in IP that dates back more than 25 years, making it a prominent force in the protection and enforcement of IP rights. The firm handles both IP litigation and commercialisation, with particular strengths in anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy operations. Antonina Pakharenko-Anderson, Alexander Pakharenko, Elena Shamrina and John Anderson are the partners in a practice that has more than 40 lawyers, many of whom have prior professional experience as engineers or scientists in high-tech industries.
Antonina Pakharenko-Anderson; Alexander Pakharenko; Elena Shamrina; John Anderson
- Providing legal support to one of the world’s leading berry breeding and nursery companies The firm is assisting the client with developing a strategy for protecting the trade mark and intellectual property rights to more than 59 varieties of berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries) in Ukraine, sold under the company’s brands. It is also monitoring the Ukrainian market to prevent violations of the client’s intellectual property rights for four types of berry crops, as well as handling contentious work in case of identified violations. Other work includes registration of intellectual property rights to plant varieties of the corporation, registration of the corporation’s trademark, distribution of information about the company’s property rights to plant varieties at seminars and conferences in order to prevent their violation in Ukraine.
- The firm assisted one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies with an extensive portfolio of innovative pharmaceuticals in promising therapeutic areas. It followed up the process of obtaining proprietary rights for 25 inventions.
- Assisted an American multinational company with criminal proceedings. As a result, an organized group of persons was convicted of illegal use of trade marks by means of production and sale of counterfeit household chemicals. Each convict was fined, with the destruction of counterfeit products and materials. The civil claim of the right holder was satisfied.
Sayenko Kharenko has an eight-partner practice led by 'excellent strategist and litigation advocate' Yaroslav Ognevyuk. The firm is 'hands-on and proactive, knows what needs to be done and makes it very easy to be a client'. The team assists clients with the management of complex IP portfolios, the development of design and branding strategies and negotiations of IP agreements, as well as enforcement actions, litigation and invalidity and infringement disputes. Its recent work for high-profile clients included Supreme Court patent litigation for multinational pharmaceutical company Bayer AG.
‘Working with Sayenko Kharenko is a delight. They are very hands-on and proactive, know what needs to be done, make it very easy to be a client and are the top counsel I’ve worked with. They understand our business exactly and know what the important points are for us. They are pragmatic, efficient and easy to work with, they won’t get bogged down by unwarranted things. They are just really easy to deal with.’
‘I would like to highlight Yaroslav Ognevyuk, an excellent team leader who is experienced and highly competent. He is an excellent strategist and litigation advocate with a strong grasp of underlying technical issues. Yaroslav is receptive to suggestions and tries to find the best solution from the legal perspective whilst taking into consideration the client’s point of view. His technical understanding is beyond what can be expected, he grasps issues extremely quickly and we always feel in good hands when having him on board.’
LVN LIMITED LLC (NEMIROFF)
Luigi Lavazza S.p.A.
Scotch Whisky Association
- Representing Bayer before the Supreme Court of Ukraine in patent litigation case which resulted in successful secure of the client’s interest and restrain of a generic product launch.
- Legal support to worldwide household chemicals manufacturers in a criminal case involving a police operation that led to raids on more than a dozen manufacture facilities and the seizure of 150+ tons of counterfeited household chemicals.
- Representing Scotch Whisky Association in trade mark opposition and unfair competition proceedings with respect to dissemination of misleading information.
In late 2020, CMS acquired life sciences firm Danevych.law, bringing in Borys Danevych to lead its life sciences practice. His IP experience complements the existing practice, which is jointly led by Maria Orlyk and Olga Belyakova. The firm handles domestic and cross-border transactions involving the registration, transfer and structuring of IP assets, as well as their realisation through commercial agreements and licensing. It also has a highly regarded IP litigation team.
Maria Orlyk; Olga Belyakova
Other key lawyers:
‘Borys Danevych has a professional approach, is client-oriented, and shows a high level of legal skills and expertise. He is pragmatic and result-oriented. There is good communication with clients, both public and private sector.’
‘Borys Danevych is a good legal professional and manager, a perfect speaker who is able to draft a plan and implement plans, and deliver his position in the best way, always trying to move the life sciences industry forward to development, compliance and patient safety.’
- Advised American technology and media services provider and production company on the shootings of new film product in Ukraine covering procedures, requirements and contents of cash rebates, transfer of IP from Ukrainian contractor to foreign producer, as well as tax issues of this project.
- Assisting a global IT services and computer support provider with complex intellectual property legal advice regarding data protection issues.
Dentons acts for well-known global brands, listed companies, international conglomerates, private equity firms and public bodies. The practice, which is led by managing partner Oleg Batyuk, specialises in IP litigation involving copyrights, patents, trade marks and unfair competition. It is also busy with licensing contracts, particularly in the life sciences sector, and data privacy issues. Counsel and patent attorney Oksana Horban is also highly recommended.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising one of Russia’s major construction material companies on trade mark protection issues in Ukraine.
- Advising a retail and tourism co-operative group on intellectual property issues in connection with the sale of a supermarket chain in Ukraine.
- Advising a client on intellectual property law matters in connection with the incorporation of the company in Ukraine.
Juscutum Attorneys Association
Juscutum Attorneys Association specialises in assisting clients in the technology industry with IP matters, including litigation. This focus sees the firm work in emerging areas such as blockchain, and it counts Binance (the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world in terms of trading volume) as one of its clients. IP head Artem Afian and new TMT head Roman Padalka (who joined from mobile app and game publisher Gismart) are the main contacts.
Other key lawyers:
SWISS VENTURE LLC
- Provided sophisticated regulatory analysis and legal advice from the Ukrainian law viewpoint on IP rights and personal data protection relating to the anticipated issuance and usage of $1bn of TON Blockchain native cryptocurrency Grams in Ukraine.
- Regulatory law advice to Binance relating to the Ukrainian legislative regulation and protection of IP rights attributed to cryptocurrencies.
- Advice to Andromeda Ukraine on IP rights issues relating to the participation in a public procurement tender for introducing blockchain technology into the services of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine.
Legal Alliance Company
Legal Alliance Company has 'niche expertise in healthcare and pharmaceuticals that translates into clear strategies and decisions'. For clients operating in those sectors, the firm handles the registration of inventions and utility models, trade marks and domain names, industrial designs, copyright and trade secrets, as well as a host of other services, including IP audits and litigation. Illya Kostin, who is both a patent and trade mark attorney, and counsel Vitalii Savchuk, jointly lead the practice.
Illya Kostin; Vitalii Savchuk
‘The intellectual property practice of Legal Alliance is unique for its approach and its deep knowledge of the specifics of the pharmaceutical industry. The team accurately explores the matter, deals with the opportunities and threats and helps to protect our IP portfolio.’
‘Under the supervision of experienced partner Illya Kostin and weighty contribution by counsel Vitalii Savchuk, the highly regarded team of Legal Alliance reaches the goals. Mr Kostin aligns resources and manoeuvres politics to solve any problem that arises.’
‘Niche expertise in healthcare and pharmaceutics helps Legal Alliance stay tuned and provide unique legal advice on IP-related matters among others. Legal Alliance team leaders show a deep understanding of the business process and needs, and translate the vision for a particular matter into clear strategies and decisions.’
‘Partner Illya Kostin and counsel Vitalii Savchuk have shown dedication and a great ability to navigate complex and sensitive IP issues, keeping the client’s best interests in mind. They enforce professional actions in a reasonable way and adapt new strategies for resolving the project issues.’
BELUPO Lijekovi i kozmetika, d.d.
Contrad Swiss SA
EU Pharmacia Sp. z. o. o.
Jadran Galenski laboratorij d.d.
- Successfully represented the interests of a European pharmaceutical company both in the court of the first instance and the appeal in the dispute on correction of the technical mistake in the formula of client’s patent for invention (medicine), which is a unique case against a state regulatory office in Ukraine.
- Successfully represented the interests of a European pharmaceutical company both in the court of first instance and appeal in the dispute on cancellation of the registration of an opponent’s medicine that infringed the client’s patent.
- Consulted the United Nations Development Programme (and World Green Economy Organization) in relation to various matters regarding intellectual property issues, also locally at the headquarters in Dubai, UAE
Marchenko Partners has more than a decade of experience advising on trade marks, patents, copyright, regulatory data protection and exclusivity, trade secrets and unfair competition. The client roster includes entities operating in the pharmaceuticals, FMCG, agricultural, retail and financial services sectors. Oleksandr Aleksyeyenko is regarded as one of the market-leading practitioners for both IP and antitrust matters. He recently assisted Next Retail with opposing bad faith registrations of trade marks.
- Represented NEXT Retail in its successful opposition to the bad faith registrations of the trade marks by the litigation opponents.
- Completed representation of NEXT PLC in a dispute on domain name, TM and copyright infringement against local online and brick-and-mortar shop.
- Advising Carlsberg on strategy of opposing a number of unfair competition acts (infringing TMs of the client by lookalike products and designs) of its national and local competitors.
Oleksandr Peremezhko & Partners assists both domestic and international clients with the acquisition, development, protection and exploitation of intellectual property. Its work covers trade marks, software, music and audio-visual products, and other creative works. Practice head Oleksandr Peremezhko recently advised Italian apparel company Loro Piana on registering its trade mark in the Customs Intellectual Property Registry. Senior associate Lidia Sokolova is an emerging talent.
Other key lawyers:
Bomond Group LLC
BURSAtelier Development, LLC
LLC “Kooperativ Mind”
SIA Artforms Production
Kingston Technology Company, Inc.
Active Cinema Group
Artforms Production Ukraine
Global Ukrainian Portal LLC
Topex Ukraine LLC
Panama Grand Prix LLC
Takeda Ukraine LLC
ASNOVA Holding PJSC
Ukrainian Film Distribution LLC
Intellectual Systems LLC
Bridge Mastic Asphalt Engineering LLC
National Dovzhenko Film Studio
Kinovyrobnychyi Komplex LLC
IPR Group, Patent and Trademark Attorneys Bureau
SVIT Agrotechnologiy LLC
Le Doyen LLC
Lego Ukraine LLC
Consulting For Retail
RPA “Ukrainian Environmental Technologies”
- Acted for Kingston Technology Corporation in a case involving a counterfeit goods shipment. Before such shipment left the customs, it was arrested under the court ruling. It should be duly noted that is was a ground-breaking practice for Ukraine of implementation of such interim relief by the civil courts of Kyiv. The firm successfully convinced the court of necessity to terminate violation of intellectual property rights to the trademark and to destroy the counterfeit goods.
- Assisting Loro Piana with the implementation of the anti-counterfeit measures through the Customs Intellectual Property Registry.
- Complex legal support for Active Cinema Group Corp.
The Kiev office of PETOŠEVIC is part of a group of IP firms operating across the CEE region under the same name. The firm provides a comprehensive suite of services, which range from patent and trade mark prosecution to portfolio management and enforcement. The team handles matters for international clients both in Ukraine and other Russian-speaking countries. Dina Petošević and senior associate Natalia Stetsenko are the main contacts.
Other key lawyers:
‘A great firm, very efficient.’
SDM Partners LLC has a substantial practice in the registration of IP rights, with in-depth expertise in patents, trade marks, copyright, designs, domain names, trade secrets and related unfair competition issues. The practice, which is jointly led by Serhiy Dzis and Dmytro Syrota, frequently assists international companies with IP matters arising from corporate transactions, as well as acting for domestic and overseas clients in copyright disputes and infringement proceedings.
Serhiy Dzis; Dmytro Syrota
Synergy IP Law Agency
Synergy IP Law Agency has two distinct IP practices, with its registration department being led by Viktoriia Ostapchuk, and a transaction and litigation group being led by Anna Kravchuk. In addition to handling the registration of IP rights, the firm also advises on the IP aspects of corporate transactions, as well as pre-trial and court procedures regarding infringement. The firm is a key adviser to clients in Ukraine and the CEE region.
Viktoriia Ostapchuk; Anna Kravchuk
ROZETKA.UA, LLC (UA)
AJAX SYSTEMS CYPRUS HOLDINGS LTD
VIVO ACTIV LLC
Winner Imports Ukraine
- Representation of Rozetka.ua’s interests before the Ukrainian IP Office regarding the trade mark registration.
- Assisting Winner Imports Ukraine with the process regarding the recognition of the trade mark “Winner” as well-known in Ukraine.
- Assisting Ajax Systems Cyprus Holdings with trade mark registration and protection all over the world.
Taylor Wessing Ukraine has one of the world's most highly respected IP and IT practices globally, and the Kiev office plays a key role assisting international clients with the registration of trade marks and designs, high-profile licensing arrangements, regulatory matters and patent litigation. Olena Stakhurska and counsel Vasyl Pop-Stasiv are key contacts.
Olena Stakhurska; Vasyl Pop-Stasiv
‘The team was good with communication throughout the matter. They demonstrated solid knowledge of Ukrainian law in what was a unique discrete area of law.’
Vasil Kisil & Partners has a growing client roster of well-known international brands, and it assists them with issues across the entire IP life cycle. Its work ranges from the registration of IP rights to anti-counterfeiting strategies and dispute resolution. Copyright and trade mark litigation are among the key strengths of the six-lawyer practice led by up-and-coming partner Ilarion Tomarov. The firm acts for clients in sectors such as agrichemicals, pharmaceuticals, TMT, entertainment and social media.
Kovalenko Yunona (Lady Diana videoblog)
- Advised McDonald’s Ukraine on the first customer-winning (after 2018 reform) case against collective management organisation over public performance of phonograms in chain’s restaurant.
- Assisting Kovalenko Yunona (Lady Diana videoblog) with drafting and submitting trademark application to Ukrainian patent and trademark office, prosecuting trade mark application, reporting all office actions to the client. The firm advises the client on trade mark registration in course of complex advice on protection rights to character of YouTube videoblog run by the client.
Ante Law Firm
Ante Law Firm focuses predominantly on litigation, but it also handles the registration of IP rights for clients in the aviation, pharmaceutical and IT sectors. It has recently acted for international airlines, subsidiaries of international pharmaceutical companies, and distributors of medicines and medical devices. The practice, which is led by Kateryna Ishchenko, assisted Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine LLC with IP rights management and protection against unfair competition.
Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine LLC
Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C.
Ms. Olena Redya, Cocobant TM
Lutsk Foods JSC (Runa TM)
Yaskravo LLC (SIMO AR)
Ms. Anastasiya Kravchuk (singer Nita)
- Constant support of Sanofi marketing activities in Ukraine, involving usage of their own and acquired objects of IP rights and protection against unfair competition.
- Defending the interests of Lutsk Foods JSC (Runa TM), which were violated by illegal usage of its trade mark and product design by a competitor, before the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.
- Advising the representative office of Ernest S.p.A. in Ukraine on all IP rights issues (including contracts, trade marks, advertising).
Since launching in 2019, Avellum's IP practice has played a key role in many large M&A transactions. It has also assisted clients with complex software licensing arrangements both domestically and internationally. The practice is led by Anton Polikarpov; according to a client, his advice is 'always original and professional. With such a legal adviser, it is safe to develop business in Ukraine and abroad'. Polikarpov's clients include Tizona Therapeutics and Roshen Confectionary Corporation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The first and most important is that the Avellum team headed by Anton Polikarpov will always be there for you. In a world where five minutes can change everything, it is incredibly valuable to get professional advice as soon as possible. The client-oriented approach and expertise are mostly appreciated in working with Avellum. Moreover, Anton Polikarpov has a great contact list of IP professionals from all over the world, which really helps to secure the export of our goods to more than 87 countries. I believe that no other law firm in Ukraine is able to assist with protecting intellectual property globally at such a high level.’
‘We mostly work with Anton Polikarpov and he is a really prominent lawyer. Anton Polikarpov used to be head of legal of one of the largest Ukrainian corporations, therefore, he understands the needs of business like no one else. His advice is always original and professional. With such a legal adviser, it is really safe to develop business in Ukraine and abroad.’
‘We appreciate the firm’s open mind, co-operation, and ability to work in short timeframes and achieve best results. We work with Anton Polikarpov and associate Anna Kolodenska.’
‘Our relationship is new with this firm but we have been very pleased with their work. They took over a matter where they had little time to draft a submission and were really convincing regarding time management as well as legal knowledge and practicable solutions. ’
‘Anton Polikarpov is our contact. He is a very eager, smart and reliable professional.’
‘Avellum provides quick and professional legal support. The team is qualified in patent and trademark litigation, as well as in various licensing matters. They are the best when it comes to strategy and helpful solutions at every stage of IP protection.’
‘Avellum’s IP counsel Anton Polikarpov shows creative thinking and unique communication skills. He is experienced and wise.’
‘I have worked with Anton Polikarpov for many years and have never been disappointed. He works quickly and extremely reliably. And working with him is fun!’
Roshen Confectionary Corporation
CHG Healthcare Services Inc.
Tizona Therapeutics Inc.
Kaufland Dienstleistung GmbH & Co. KG
Sulphur Mills Ltd.
- Advised Roshen Confectionery Corporation on opposition of international registration application No. 1438140 (КОРОВКА KOROVKA) filed by JSC “Krasnyi Oktiabr” in Ukraine.
- Advised CHG Healthcare on Ukrainian IP law matters within its acquisition of Modio Health.
- Advised Kaufland Dienstleistung GmbH & Co. KG on Ukrainian law matters in connection with the prosecution of its trade mark in Ukraine.
Brandsfield LLC, which specialises in brand protection, was formed in 2020. Despite its recent entry to the market, the firm has already built an impressive roster of clients, which includes The Procter & Gamble Company and German consumer products company Braun. Oleg Klymchuk (who is 'committed to his clients and getting transactions done'), formerly of Sayenko Kharenko, and the 'smart, business-minded, responsive and reliable' Denis Krokhmalyov are the lead partners.
Oleg Klymchuk; Denis Krokhmalyov
‘I believe Brandsfield clearly falls into the category of highly focused IP boutique law firms in Ukraine. Their premier intellectual property team provides high-profile advice across all key pillars of IP protection. The team offers comprehensive national and cross-border coverage of intellectual property law and has first-class experience in brand protection: trademark registration, trademark and patent prosecution. Both partners have great availability, are top in their field and demonstrate very good relationship management skills.’
‘Oleg Klymchuk, is committed to his clients and getting transactions done. He is able to navigate and manage the process effectively, all with a dedication to the client. Denis Krokhmalyov, is smart, business-minded, responsive and reliable. On the contentious front, we trust them with high-level matters. They kept us informed at every step of the way—the clarity of communication is a particular Brandsfield’s strength.’
‘The firm has a very pragmatic and commercial approach, providing quick resolutions to problems.’
‘Oleg Klymchuk has been incredibly helpful, his insight into the local market combined with a more Western approach to problems has been invaluable. Very commercial, which is exactly what our clients need.’
‘Oleg Klymchuk is very responsive and understands the needs of the client.’
The Procter & Gamble Company
The Gillette Company
- Advised P&G on anti-counterfeiting actions in Ukraine, affecting five countries.
- Advised a Swiss premium cosmetics company on the first known passing off (unfair competition practice) case in Ukraine where dietary supplement of the local producer imitates face creams of Brandsfield’s client.
- Advised a major Zagreb Stock Exchange-listed food company on protecting the strongest brand in the company’s home country from an IPRs infringement in Ukraine.
Crane IP Law Firm
Crane IP Law Firm is 'a trustworthy and reliable firm distinguished by vast knowledge, extraordinary commitment to even the smallest matter, attention to detail and instant response to every inquiry'. The firm, which also has an office in Moscow, assists overseas companies with IP registration and commercialisation in Ukraine, Russia and the CIS region. 'They are like superheroes - always ready to come to help', says a client of lead partners Elena Polosmak and Ivan Nikitchenko.
Elena Polosmak; Ivan Nikitchenko
‘Compared with others, I can say that they aren’t about earning money. It was the first time our company had been working with Crane IP, but we saw an excellent result of their work. Our trade mark question was solved from the beginning till the end.’
‘The whole team works quickly, competently and shows excellent results.’
‘Ivan Nikitchenko and Elena Polosmak explain legal matters in simple way and always provide me options for how to act – from the simplest to complicated and long-term. Of course, the result is very important. CraneIP is always responsible for final results and they have never failed with my tasks.’
‘They are great professionals in copyright law – they handle all my cases with contractors, artists, media. I like to work with them because they are 24/7 in contact.’
‘They are like superheroes – always ready to come to help. I love their omnifarious knowledge and approach – they try to understand and solve issues thinking about the business of a client in general but not only within a particular case.’
‘I work with Elena Polosmak and Ivan Nikitchenko. Despite the situation with Covid, they always keep in touch, and I haven’t felt the difference in our communications and speed of responses – we used to communicate actively through online channels before. I am always confident in their knowledge and trust that we will receive the services fast.’
‘We selected this IP firm for the accurate and quick responses to our enquiries. We really feel very supported by the Crane IP team at any step that we must follow.’
‘I have worked exclusively with, and been impressed by, Elena Polosmak. She is smart and very responsive.’
The Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine
Root Sound Records
- Full legal support in IP sphere for Ukrainian sound recording label Root Sound Records: agreements with musicians and contractors, transfer of copyrights, allocation of rights, copyright clearance.
- Advising The Ministry of Digital Transformation of Ukraine on the implementation of IP-Box tax regime in Ukraine. Advising and drafting amendments to legislation for establishing virtual special economic zone ‘Diia City’ regarding IP Law regulation for future residents of zone ‘Diia City’.
- Assisted Di-Star with market research on infringement of IP rights on utility models and designs and fighting with counterfeited products. Termination of selling counterfeited products in Ukrainian stores. Developing IP right protection strategy.
Eterna Law acts for domestic and international clients in the luxury goods, telecoms, retail, FMCG, IT and pharmaceuticals sectors. It excels in the IP aspects of M&A transactions, and also handles disputes relating to trade marks, domain names, passing-off, copyright, database rights and breaches of confidence. Corporate partner Oleh Malskyy leads the practice, in which partner Denys Kytsenko has 'a client-oriented approach that makes the cooperation extremely comfortable and effective’.
Other key lawyers:
‘In comparison to other law firms the team of Denys Kytsenko is extremely oriented to the result and provides the best level of cooperation within the projects.’
‘For my company, Denys Kytsenko’s team in Eterna Law is one the best and most professional advisors we have ever cooperated with. His result and client-oriented approach makes the cooperation extremely comfortable and effective.’
New Asset Management
Stepanchuk R.D. (Tobacco Universal Ltd.)
- Assisted WeFuture with registration of trade mark and preparation of show service agreement.
Gramatskiy&Partners focuses on matters related to copyright, trade marks and IP rights in the IT and media sectors. Its main focus is on the IT industry, in which it has recently attracted new clients such as Software CO-Work, Draftkings and IT-Enterprise. Borys Karas, Igor Reutov and Mykola Voytovich (who is 'attentive, highly experienced, client-oriented, careful, and thoughtful') are the main practitioners.
Borys Karas; Igor Reutov; Mykola Voytovych
‘Gramatskiy&Partners holds all our work regarding the transactions with IP rights and their protection. We are well satisfied with the firm’s work. During the last year, we had several major transactions and all of them were handled really well. Our lawyers are an essential element to our business growth.’
‘We are looking for the best outcome for our business. We have been working with Gramatskiy&Partners for many years, and we are still satisfied with their expertise and their attitude to us.’
‘Mykola Voitovych is our unchangeable contact lawyer who effectively manages all the legal work. He is an attentive, highly experienced, client-oriented, careful, and thoughtful lawyer who is nice to deal with.’
LLC «Platforma Holding (Cyprus) Limited»
IT Enterprise LLC
Fun Food Family
Linecore Studio LLC
VPG Agro Plus LLC, VPG Trading LLC
GLOBAL UNIVERSAL TRADING LTD
- Legal support of obtaining for trademarks certificates for LLC «Platforma Holding (Cyprus) Limited».
- Legal support to Fun Fud Family on the registration of the trade mark for the new chain of restaurants (TM “Happy Pizza”).
- Advising SBTECH UA on registration of the trademark SBTECH in Ukraine.
Hillmont Partners LLC garners praise for its 'professionalism, openness and availability'. The firm has a small practice that was launched in 2019, but it is growing at associate level and is attracting a raft of new clients. Led by associate partner Taras Tertychnyi, the practice handles the IP aspects of corporate transactions, as well as providing specialist IP advice to assist clients with developing, exploiting and protecting their IP rights.
‘They are proactive in their involvement in my IP affairs and very good at developing strategies to secure IP in a very challenging legal environment in Ukraine. The strategies formulated are usually cost effective and efficient.’
‘The firm has great competence and a wide range of legal practice, conducted with professionalism, openness and availability.’
- Representing one of the world’s largest producers and distributors of coffee in a number of criminal proceedings in Ukraine in relation to fighting counterfeit products.
- Representing an owner of a number of the leading Ukrainian and international alcoholic beverage brands in a number of courts cases in relation to preventing the export goods infringing the client’s IP rights.
- Representing a fast-growing American healthcare business, a developer of efficient artificial intelligence tools for diagnosis, treatment selection and drug development, on transfer of IP rights in labour agreement with a Ukrainian employee.
At Integrites, senior associate Dariya Ganzienko leads the practice, which handles copyright disputes, trade mark infringement, IP audits, contracts and licensing agreements. The firm has a growing client base among IT and software development companies, and it also assists clients in sectors such as construction, health and defence. Associate Daryna Vasylieva is 'friendly, efficient, practical and quick to respond'.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very responsive and easy to work with – quick to understand what we need and are trying to achieve.’
‘Daryna Vasylieva is always practical and quick to respond.’
‘The firm has a result-oriented approach and does the job to get the things done.’
‘The firm has a result-oriented approach and expertise in multiple practice areas, including IP litigation.’
‘Daryna Vasylieva is friendly, responsive and efficient.’
- Represented Valagro in a case related to unfair competition and the protection of the client’s IP rights infringed by the unauthorised usage of their signs, advertising materials, packaging of goods by competitors. The case on unfair competition was considered before the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine (AMCU).
- Advising Panasonic on the registration of a trade mark in Ukraine and internationally.
LCF Law Group merged with Evris, which heralded the arrival of practice head Alexander Molotai and his team to the firm. His four-lawyer practice handles a broad range of work, which includes the registration of patents and trade marks, licensing, commercial IP matters, litigation and enforcement. The firm acts for clients in sectors such as energy, agriculture, fashion, FMCG and retail. It is known for achieving 'out-of-the-box” and innovative decisions' in litigation.
‘The dispute resolution practice of LCF Law Group is well-known Ukraine because of its depth and its client-oriented approach. The LCF team is always focusing on the best result for their clients, providing a “helicopter view” of the situation and offering the most effective strategy on a case. They often elaborate “out-of-the-box” and innovative decisions.’
At LEX INTELS Intellectual Property Law Firm, the team has 'deep knowledge and skills, and is goal-oriented', Based in Odessa, it handles the registration and protection of trade marks, inventions, utility models, industrial designs, plant varieties and copyright, among other matters. The practice, which is led by Natalya Lemeshchuk, frequently represents the interests of Ukrainian and international clients before Ukrainian Patent Office.
‘We have been cooperating with LEX INTELS IP Law Firm for many years on patenting and intellectual property rights protection. The team has deep knowledge and skills, and is goal-oriented. They always provide us with a high-quality advice and support.’
‘Our primary contact at LEX INTELS is Natalya Lemeshchuk. She has extensive knowledge and real experience in the field of patenting, which helps us achieve excellent results.’
‘For many years we have been addressing to LEX INTELS IP Law Firm all issues related to protection of our intellectual property: patenting, trademarks registration, protection from unfair competition. The professional, creative and individual approach of the LEX INTELS team to the tasks set should be noted. We are glad to cooperate with this team and are pleased with the results.’
‘It is impossible not to emphasise the outstanding work of Natalia Lemeshchuk. Her professional knowledge and strategic approach, ability to create and unite a team of competent employees have been providing comprehensive protection of our intellectual property for several years. In addition, the firm provides us with qualified assistance and protection in other legal matters.’
‘For several years, we have been working with LEX INTELS IP Law Firm on trade mark registration, copyright protection and other legal issues. This team has a very competent and responsible approach towards problem-solving.’
‘On all issues, we interact with Natalya Lemeshchuk. We can say about Natalya that she is a reliable and professional partner with extensive expertise in the field of intellectual property protection.’
‘The practice is unique because for me it is the only practice meaning I did not work with other companies in this field. Though I can’t compare with others I can say that their team is very professional and it satisfied all arising issues quickly and completely.’
‘I contact Natalya Lemeshchuk concerning any arising matter. I would like to note her professionalism, responsiveness and pragmatic approach to work.’
ALYANS DISTRIBUTION LTD
STEP IT ACADEMY
ODESSA COAL COMPANY
Individual entrepreneur Bilal Majed
Mr. Oleh Doroshenko
CHERKASY INSTITUTE OF FIRE SAFETY named after Chornobyl Heroes
- Represented entrepreneur Yuliia Sukhorukova as a plaintiff in an unfair competition case, according to which Ms. Sukhorukova, who is engaged in catering activities (delivery of ready-made food sets in special boxes), wanted to protect the original design of the food sets which she produces, including packaging design, original method of selection and layout of products, original names of sets and designation (logo). These objects were copied/imitated by a competitor company, which led to confusion of her activities with those of the competitor in the perception of customers.
- Acting for ORION LLC, which is a leading manufacturer of plastic (polymer) toys in Ukraine. The firm has prepared and submitted an industrial design application with three options for a series of board games released by the company – sea battle, air battle, tank battle. This series is in a certain sense innovative and does not fit into the canons of classic board games, since it contains a set of toy military equipment (ships, air planes, tanks), a set of ball-shells, devices for throwing these shells, an original two-level playing field. During the formal examination stage, the firm received several requests from the patent office (3 requests), which believed that the series of these objects should be considered as a set of toys, and not as board games.
- Acted for entrepreneur Bilal Majed on the registration procedure for the BOSSJAZZ trademark, filed for the services of 35 ICGS class. During the registration process, objections were filed by HUGO BOSS, according to which the client’s BOSSJAZZ trademark was very similar to the HUGO BOSS series of marks.
Mamunya IP was formed in late 2020 when Oleksandr Mamunya left Aequo to start his own IP boutique. The team also includes counsel Ganna Prokhorova, who is an emerging talent. Despite being a new entrant to the market, the firm has built a large stable of clients and developed extensive experience in IP commercialisation and litigation. Mamunya is highly regarded for his work in contentious matters concerning patents and well-known trademarks. He is also adept in anti-counterfeiting matters.
Other key lawyers:
According to a client, Redcliffe Partners' team is 'number one for representing holders of IP rights in courts, particularly regarding protection of copyright and trade marks'. The firm advises clients on the development, commercialisation and protection of IP rights. Counsel Maria Koval, who leads the practice, has extensive experience in trade marks, designs, inventions, domain names, copyright, trade secrets and data protection matters.
‘The team is number one for representing holders of IP rights in courts, particularly regarding protection of copyright and trade marks. The team is extremely responsive, qualified, and efficient. The service is very personal, and the prices are reasonable. Always timely advice.’
‘Maria Koval has a track record of advising local and multinational companies on various IP matters. We have long-term continuing cooperation. She often comes up with the unbeatable solutions, cost and time-efficient advice and brings exceptional results.’
Light Converse LTD
- Advised YayPay Inc on IP matters during its €17m acquisition by Quadient.
- Advising MedeAnalytics Inc. on certain issues of Ukrainian IP law related to the company’s operations in Ukraine. The work included revising the consulting agreement, drafting employment agreements on IP objects creation, transfer, and assignment between the contractors/employees and the company/employer in compliance with Ukrainian IP law requirements.
- Represented Olexander Berenok (Lightconverse Ltd) in a court dispute regarding protection of the copyright to computer programme “Lightconverse 3D Show Platform”.
Sergii Koziakov & Partners
Sergii Koziakov & Partners has grown its presence in IP litigation. The practice, which is led by partner Andriy Karnaukhov and counsel Olena Hladyuk, frequently handles the acquisition, enforcement and protection of IP rights. The firm represents clients before the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine, the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine, Ukrainian and foreign courts, international arbitration institutions, patent, customs, law enforcement and other government agencies.
Andriy Karnaukhov; Olena Hladyuk
Kaminion Holdings Limited
LLC Beverage trading company
LLC Eastern Beverage Trading
Pilot Solutions Group inc.
- Representing the interests of the Cyprus company Kaminion Holdings Limited in patent disputes in the courts at all levels in the territory of Ukraine.
- Representing the interests of a leading Ukrainian producer of ventilated facades in the courts of Ukraine regarding the rights to use industrial designs and trade marks.
- Representing the interests of Scandi LLC in domain name disputes.
SION patent law firm
SION patent law firm's team is experienced in assisting clients with the registration and enforcement of patents. It frequently assists domestic and international companies in the pharmaceuticals, IT, fashion, catering, power and higher education sectors. In addition, it also acts for individual inventors. Nataliia Riazanova and Yurii Marinichev in Kharkiv, along with Andrey Tovstolut in Kiev, constitute 'a team of professional lawyers with great knowledge of their field'.
Nataliia Riazanova; Yurii Marinichev; Andrey Tovstolut
‘I turned to SION patent law firm for a service to assessment of success and profitability of my start-up. The team of professional lawyers has great knowledge of their field. I was given a full consultation, after which I could avoid the risks and decided to register my intellectual property. Also, after the this work done, I improved the business model of the startup with the team of SION patent law firm, after which I was able to conduct a series of negotiations with potential investors. The practice of SION patent law firm is unique on the territory of Ukraine, because I received not only detailed advice on the development of my start-up, but also protected my intellectual property.’
‘I worked closely with Nataliia Riazanova, who is the managing partner of the SION patent law firm. She clearly described how the process would take place, told about the risks that existed in the primary business model of my start-up. As Nataliia is a patent attorney, she helped me to register my intellectual property and legally protect my business, so then I could confidently negotiate with potential partners.’
Pharmaceutical company “Zdorovye”
Kharkivska pharmaceutical company “Zdorovye Narodu”
AP-AGDA Group s.r.o.
INSTITUTE of FLIUD-FLOW MACHINERY im. Roberta Szewalskiego Polish Academy Of Sciences
Wolf Theiss frequently handles IP matters arising from cross-border corporate transactions. Corporate partner Taras Dumych leads the practice, in which antitrust head Olga Ivlyeva also handles a flow of IP and IT-related matters. A growing proportion of the firm's work stems from its involvement in e-commerce projects, which require the formalisation of IP rights. Elsewhere, the registration and protection of trade marks is a particular area of expertise.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising Snap Inc. on issues related to assignment/transfer of IP rights from employees/contractors to its Ukrainian entity.
- Advising Nvidia, the American technology company designing graphics processing units, on contracts with respect to IP rights and related cross-border issues.
- Advising Dassault Systèmes on issues related to the assignment of IP rights in Ukraine, review of the relevant template agreement with individual contractors.