Intellectual property in Ukraine
Aequo is 'great at understanding clients' business goals and aligning their legal strategy with it'. Practice head Oleksandr Mamunya, who is head of the IP Committee of the Ukrainian Bar Association, has heavily recruited at associate level to support a growing workload of enforcement, prosecution and IP registration work. Senior associate Ganna Prokhorova, previously at Pakharenko & Partners, is also highly recommended. Nataliya Dryuk was recently promoted to counsel.
‘When representing us, Aequo is never afraid of trying innovative approaches that have yet never been implemented by someone else. Working in-house, it is a great privilege to feel Aequo’s support and realise you are on the same team.‘
‘Oleksandr Mamunya sets the agenda rather than follows it. He often makes bold and unexpected moves representing us, leaving our competitors stuck.‘
‘Maksym Trykur is a strategic thinker, always keeping in mind the often complex and interconnected business goals of all our projects.‘
‘Ilona Boliubash is keen on detail, the value of which is hard to overestimate in the pharmaceutical business.‘
‘Aequo is very reasonably priced and very competent and responsive.‘
‘I primarily work with Ganna Prokhorova. She is very responsive, proactive, and a delight to work with.‘
‘The attorneys at Aequo are knowledgeable and provide great insight into trade mark matters.‘
‘Aequo is fast to respond and provides experience in trade mark law.‘
CO “100% life”(formerly Network of People Living with HIV)
Darnitsa Pharmaceutical Firm
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (Ukraine)
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
Mistral Capital Management
- Representing Darnitsa in a number of trade mark disputes related to its core brands.
- Advising Xiaomi on trade mark issues in Ukraine, including a customised protection strategy in view of a number of infringing similar trade mark registrations in Ukraine.
- Representing Forbes in a trade mark infringement case and implementing early termination actions.
Arzinger hired Taras Kyslyy from Asters to lead its IP, TMT and data protection practice alongside Kateryna Oliinyk. The firm is praised for its 'great service and fully reliable, clear-cut advice'. The firm, which has a strong life sciences practice, counts certified patent and trade mark attorneys among its lawyers. It handles a broad scope of work including IP portfolio management, media law, data protection, advertising law and litigation. Senior associate Tetiana Slabko is also noted.
Kateryna Oliinyk; Taras Kyslyy
‘The team led by Timur Bondaryev is great and Kateryna Oliinyk is our regular contact for IP. They, along with life sciences partner Lana Sinichkina, are superb.‘
‘For many years, it has been our number one IP firm in Ukraine.‘
‘Team leader Kateryna Oliinyk is an outstanding attorney with excellent legal, strategic and social skills. Clients particularly appreciate her great responsiveness and pragmatic approach to handling even the most complex issues.‘
‘They are quick, efficient and very professional, and always work in the best interest of the clients.‘
‘Kateryna Oliinyk and Tetiana Slabko are quick, efficient and very professional.‘
Rigo Trading SA
OLX (Emarket Ukraine LLC)
American 50’s diner
- Represented Delta Wilmar in its acquisition of the entire stake in PJSC Chumak, a well-known Ukrainian manufacturer of food products, from Dragon Capital, which included an assessment of IP disputes, contractual relations with counterparties, and compliance with IP legislation.
- Managing the brand portfolio of Rigo Trading S.A. in the EMEA region.
- Developed and implemented a complex IP rights strategy for innovative start-up company Solar Gaps.
Asters acts for a diverse multinational client base including Teva Pharmaceuticals, Biosphere Corporation and Ferrero. Lead partner Julia Semeniy handles the acquisition, licensing, assignment and enforcement of IP rights, although the practice also has a growing focus on contentious IP matters. The firm handles the IP aspects of M&A, tax structuring and finance transactions, and also has a standalone practice acting for clients in sectors such as FMCG, retail and IT.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Millennium & Copthorne
Mahle International GmbH
Zwack Unicum Nyrt
Belron International Limited
- Successfully defended the interests of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. in a dispute with the State Intellectual Property Service of Ukraine (Patent Office) and Synthon B.V. over the extension of patent terms for medical products.
- Providing Biosphere Corporation, a large Ukrainian manufacturer of cosmetic and hygienic products, with advice and assistance with regard to the registration of patents in Ukraine and abroad.
- Advising Millennium & Copthorne, a renowned hotel operator, on trade mark registration and renewal matters.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office has a 'proactive and commercially astute team'. The highly regarded Ruslan Drobyazko is head of a practice that counts large global companies such as Nissan, 3M and British American Tobacco among its clients. The firm advises international and local companies on protecting, managing and enforcing their IP rights in Ukraine, the CIS region and globally. Counsel Oleksiy Stolyarenko is recommended for technology-related matters.
British American Tobacco
- Acting as the Ukrainian patent attorneys of BAT Group and being responsible for the management of its trade mark portfolio.
- Advising Columbia Sportswear Company on IP matters related to trade mark infringement, including criminal proceedings against counterfeiters in Ukraine.
DLA Piper handles patents, trade marks, advertising and branding issues, copyright, trade secrets and designs. Natalia Pakhomovska's team is heavily involved in non-contentious IP work, including complex filing strategies and audits, and is increasingly active in contentious matters, handling pre-court procedures, IP litigation, negotiations, cease and desist letters, and the development of IP protection strategies. Legal director Natalia Kirichenko is experienced in IP and technology matters.
Perion Network Ltd
Doubinsky & Osharova
'In my long experience, it is the best IP firm in Ukraine, especially for trade marks,' remarks a client of boutique firm Doubinsky & Osharova. The firm has a sizeable team, including the highly regarded Michael Doubinsky and Irina Osharova, focused on patents, trade marks, portfolio management, enforcement and litigation. Victoria Sopilnyak and Tatyana Shpakovich lead the practice, which is 'responsive and renders solid and practical advice'.
Victoria Sopilnyak; Tatyana Shpakovich
‘The firm has deep knowledge and appropriate skills, and an open-minded approach, with a high degree of collaboration between team members, and it is goal-oriented. It provides the possibility of working effectively in a crisis environment, when there is stress, a lack of data and external pressure.‘
‘Victoria Sopilnyak provides a high level of collaboration, openness and trust. She has perfect knowledge and skills, and is capable of out-of-the-box thinking, with the ability to provide non-standard solutions.‘
‘They focus on IP only and they have ethical principles. Also, they have long and successful experience in the courts, a good market reputation and a lot of professional contacts.‘
‘They are goal-oriented and have the ability to understand the business of their clients. Personally I work with and can recommend Mrs. Victoria Sopilnyak.‘
‘The firm has well-grounded knowledge and years of experience in the IP and patent spheres, which is key to its success in Ukraine and other countries.‘
‘We have worked with Mr. Doubinsky and Ms. Sopylniak. Both have a very grounded knowledge in IP that gives them the ability to provide clients with sound, high-quality advice, expertise and support.‘
‘Their desire and drive to achieve the best outcome for the client stands out.‘
‘Anton Koval delivers superb turnaround times and has a palpable desire to achieve the best outcome for his clients.‘
The COCA-COLA Company
Jack Daniel’s Properties, Inc.
McDonald’s International Property Co., Ltd
Nemiroff Vodka Co
THREE BEARS, LLC
IDS Borjomi Ukraine
Toyota Kabushiki Kaisha, also trading as Toyota Motor Corporation
Revlon Consumer Products Corporation, USA
FRHI Hotels & Resorts S.àr.l.
R &A Bailey & Co
- Successfully represented the interests of the family-owned Swiss company LUZI AG when its trade marks were refused protection in Ukraine on the grounds of confusing similarity to an earlier mark.
- Represented the interests of Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd., when its trade mark was refused protection in Ukraine; ultimately, the Examination Body of the Ukrainian PTO accepted the arguments and the trade mark was registered for all the goods requested.
- Represented the interests of Groupe Canal+ – Vivendi when its trade mark was refused protection in Ukraine.
Ilyashev & Partners has expanded its IP practice with the recruitment of the experienced Oleksandr Padalka as counsel from Sayenko Kharenko. The practice led by litigator Mikhail Ilyashev also includes the highly regarded Irina Kirichenko and acts for large multinationals such as Kraft Heinz Company and Xiaomi. Known predominantly for its strong IP litigation capability, the firm is expanding its commercial IP expertise to handle the management of IP portfolios, trade mark and patent prosecution, enforcement, franchising and licensing.
‘Our intellectual property issues are supervised by Mikhail Ilyashev. He has assembled a brilliant team of experts, he is always up to date with our projects, he keeps everything under control and is always in touch with us.‘
‘The slogan of Illyashev & Partners is “Creation of Solutions”. It is true in real life: this team would like to understand deeply the client’s business and find very creative and unusual ways to achieve success through complex suggestions.‘
‘Mikhail Illyashev is the best at offering quick and smart solutions if you have more than one option.‘
‘Irina Kirichenko is a unique specialist who knows the pharmaceutical market, intellectual property and advocacy.‘
‘Olexander Fefelov has good suggestions in the anti-monopoly sphere.‘
‘Dmytro Nikulesko has experience of excellent solutions in the food supplement market, which has not been so well regulated.‘
The Kraft Heinz Company
R&D Enterprise Hetman
- Preparation of a complaint filed by SE Antonov as a holder of the type certificate for an aircraft.
- Protecting the IP rights of EBC Eastern Beverage Company Limited (Cyprus) to the trade marks MEDOFF, MERNAYA, NASHA MARKA and ARCTICA.
- Representing Bosca S.p.A. in the Ukrainian courts with regard to the recognition of the registration of a patent for a utility model “Method for the production of sparkling semi-sweet white wine Tairovo Bosco”, produced by Niva Winery (in the Odessa region of Ukraine), as illegal.
At specialist boutique firm IPStyle, managing partner Mariya Ortynska and head of inventions, utility models and industrial designs Iryna Ortynska are the lead partners in a team that is 'very professional and responsible, and very proactive and up to date with legislation and regulations'. A one-stop shop for IP and IP-related legal issues for national and multinational companies, the firm handles trade mark and patent litigation, enforcement and IP rights management.
‘Their professional knowledge is of a very high level and their reports are very comprehensive. Their English language is excellent. The team is active and provides a wide range of services in IP matters. They are able to provide very comprehensive opinions in complex matters.‘
‘Mariya Ortynska is very professional and responsible. Her knowledge is of a high level. All inquiries are responded to promptly and comprehensively.‘
- Filing a national trade mark application, which is currently pending, and developing trade mark rights protection strategies for BlackBerry Limited.
- Assisted a well-known Israeli cosmetics company with registering its ‘CHRISTINA cosmetics’ brand in Ukraine.
- Advising KT&G, a Korean tobacco company, on the launch of electronic cigarettes with a special construction and e-cigarette body, and on the protection of those designs.
Mikhailyuk, Sorokolat & Partners
Mikhailyuk, Sorokolat & Partners is a highly regarded IP boutique that is 'thoroughly professional with a keen eye for details and promptness'. 'They provide sound advice which is clear, crisp and to the point,' says a client of practice heads Anna Mikhailyuk and Valentin Mikhailyuk. The firm is a patent, trade mark and design partnership with more than 25 years' experience and it excels in filing, prosecuting, maintaining and protecting all types of intellectual property.
Anna Mikhailyuk; Valentin Mikhailyuk
‘Their suggestions on the critical issues of the law in tricky situations are highly commendable, perfectly balancing the law and the requirement of the clients. The team’s strength is in its knowledge of the law and assessment of the situation. Be it opinions on freedom to operate or prosecution in the Eurasian region including individual countries, the team’s analytical power and approach are highly commendable which makes them stand out far ahead of others.‘
‘The practitioners, be it the partners or the attorneys and agents/associates, provide detailed analysis with very appropriate reasoning with respect to the ambit of protection being defended or attacked, as the case may be. The professionals excel in providing solutions to not only the problem at hand but to problems that could arise further down the line.‘
‘Valentin Mikhaikyuk and Anna Mikhailyuk have very sound knowledge of the field and the acumen to steer clear of problematic situations with out-of-the-box thinking. The attorneys and agents/associates in general have a very positive approach towards situations.‘
‘We are very satisfied with this firm. The team is very thorough in providing us with the correct information and requirements for all the jurisdictions they handle. We rely more on their expertise than other firms in the region.‘
‘We like the communication, the fast and clear replies and the professional approach.‘
‘Irina Stetsurenko and her team are very responsive. Their costs are absolutely fair and transparent. We have enjoyed the business relationship with them through the years.‘
‘Ms. Irina Stetsurenko provides outstanding service with a highly professional attitude. She responds to emails quickly, provides competent advice which you can trust, and is very professional in her overall way of dealing with clients – a pleasure to work with. She is always willing to go the extra mile and search for the optimal solution even in difficult situations and under time pressure.‘
‘Their strength is efficient coordination in multi-jurisdictional cases in CIS countries.‘
‘Anna Mikhailyuk has been assisting us with mostly trade mark searches and applications in CIS countries for about nine years. She coordinates our cases in multiple jurisdictions very well, and we get the impression that she is reliable. With Anna, we do not feel the frustration which we normally experience with hub agents. We believe it is due to her knowledge of the laws, practices and languages in multiple countries in the region that MSP covers.‘
Pakharenko & Partners' sizeable senior team includes the highly regarded Alexander Pakharenko and Antonina Pakharenko-Anderson, who lead a practice that counts global brands Chanel, Pernod Ricard and Apple among its clients. A specialist IP boutique founded almost 25 years ago, it excels in contentious and commercial matters involving patents, trade marks, copyrights, designs, domain names, geographical indications, plant varieties, entertainment, media, trade secrets and unfair competition.
Antonina Pakharenko-Anderson; Alexander Pakharenko; Elena Shamrina; John Anderson;
Pernod Ricard SA.
NIKE Innovate C.V.
WD-40 Manufacturing Company
- Legal support with regard to patent protection for one of the world’s largest chemical companies.
- Legal support with regard to patent protection for a global pharmaceuticals company.
- Providing legal support with regard to patent protection for a leading power engineering company.
Sayenko Kharenko is 'a unique phenomenon in the legal sphere in Ukraine and abroad - it has strong expertise, and is innovative, creative and able to attract the best legal brains to its team'. Oleksandr Padalka moved to Ilyashev & Partners but the firm hired Yaroslav Ognevyuk from Doubinsky & Osharova to lead the sizeable practice. The firm handles the entire spectrum of IP, from consulting to litigation and anti-counterfeiting actions. Counsel Oleg Klymchuk is also recommended.
Scotch Whisky Association
Public Joint Stock Company “State Savings Bank of Ukraine” (PJSC Oschadbank)
- Representing the Scotch Whisky Association in trade mark opposition and unfair competition proceedings with respect to the dissemination of misleading information.
CMS frequently handles the IP aspects of domestic and cross-border corporate transactions and it has in-depth experience in many key sectors including IT, life sciences, automotive, manufacturing, financial services and media. The practice led by corporate and litigation partner Maria Orlyk, corporate partner and data protection specialist Olga Belyakova and regulatory partner Olexander Martinenko also handles patent infringement matters and litigation.
Maria Orlyk; Olga Belyakova; Olexander Martinenko
Danevych.Law is a leading firm in the life sciences sector, which is its sole focus. It handles trade marks, patents, copyright, regulatory data protection and trade secrets for large pharmaceutical, medical devices and clinical trials companies. Practice head Borys Danevych's recent work includes anti-counterfeiting investigations for global pharmaceutical company clients, and he is involved in drafting a new law for the pharma sector on behalf of the government in a project funded by the EBRD.
- Advising the Ministry of Health of Ukraine and other regulators on the implementation of IP-related provisions on medicinal products of the Ukraine-EU Association Agreement.
- Advised Lilly on key developments and trends in IP and specifically patents protection in Ukraine in the pharmaceutical area.
Dentons has in-depth experience in IP litigation involving copyrights, patents, trade marks and unfair competition. It also advises on licensing in the life science sector and has expertise in data privacy matters. It frequently advises multinational companies on the IP aspects of large, cross-border M&A transactions. Managing partner Oleg Batyuk oversees the practice, in which recommended counsel Oksana Horban focuses on the filing of IP rights, prosecution and IP-related litigation.
- Advised Competera, a next generation pricing platform for e-commerce and omni-channel retailers, on setting up its US headquarters and establishing an additional operating entity in the US for direct cooperation with customers, which involved the transfer of the existing IP rights to its headquarters.
Juscutum Attorneys Association
Juscutum Attorneys Association advises on IP issues in the technology industry. The practice led by managing partner Artem Afian is frequently involved in cutting-edge areas such as blockchain and legal tech. It has developed its own legal tech product, PatentBot, which is Ukraine’s first bot-registrar of trade marks in 29 jurisdictions worldwide. The firm counts Ukraine’s largest chain of street coffee shops, Aroma Kava, and e-bike courier delivery service Delfast among its clients.
- Advised BitFury on the legal implications of integrating blockchain technology into managing state registries of Ukraine.
- Advising an innovative US-Indian start-up, Solve.care, on developing a platform enabling the execution of smart contracts among patients, insurers and healthcare services providers.
- Providing legal tech advice to Radioaktivefilm on developing a technology enabling it to generate contracts and transfer IP and personal data usage rights from actors engaged in crowd scenes in movies to the production company.
Legal Alliance Company
'Its niche expertise in healthcare and pharmaceutics helps the team to provide unique services in intellectual property,' says a client of Legal Alliance Company. Its work for domestic and large international life sciences companies covers the registration of IP assets and complex patent, trade mark and copyright disputes. Illya Kostin, Natalia Lavrenova and newly promoted counsel Vitalii Savchuk are the lead practitioners.
Illya Kostin; Natalia Lavrenova; Vitalii Savchuk
‘We can entrust the Legal Alliance team with important matters. The team leaders show a deep understanding of medicines and medical products and can provide expert advice, which allows us to minimise both cost and time, and quickly resolve even complex matters.‘
‘Illya Kostin has shown dedication and a great ability to lead the team, and explain things clearly and concisely, as well as generate decisions and affect the outcome of the matter. Also, the team shows a high level of loyalty and engagement.‘
‘We have been working with Legal Alliance Company for the past two years and thanks to its extensive expertise in the pharmaceutical and medical areas, we have received qualified services promptly and at the highest level. With regard to intellectual property issues, the Legal Alliance team always accurately explores the subject and quickly engages in the process of resolving the issue at all stages.‘
‘Full dedication and understanding of the specifics of our company have been shown by the legal professionals under the supervision of experienced partner Illya Kostin. He is not afraid to take responsibility and demonstrates clarity in the division of responsibilities and in making important decisions.‘
‘Legal Alliance is a responsible partner with a great reputation for dealing with complex matters in the pharmaceuticals sector. Legal Alliance is characterised by its strong professionalism, deep understanding of the issues, meaningful proposals and unique vision.‘
Contrad Swiss SA
Jadran Galenski laboratorij d.d.
BELUPO Lijekovi i kozmetika, d.d.
- Protected of the interests of a client in the pharmaceuticals sector against an unlawful decision of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine.
- Protected the interests of a client in the pharmaceuticals sector in a patent dispute regarding the unlicensed use of an invention.
- Protected the interests of a client in the pharmaceuticals sector in a patent dispute regarding the validity of a patent to a utility model (medicinal product).
Marchenko Partners has a leading practitioner in practice head Oleksandr Aleksyeyenko, who focuses predominantly on IP contracts and disputes, including antitrust cases with a significant IP element. Aleksyeyenko focuses mainly on trade marks and patents, though the firm also handles copyright issues, trade secrets, database matters, domain names and unfair competition. Its work encompasses complex and high-profile cases for international clients such as Next Retail and LafargeHolcim.
EDANA (European Disposables and Nonwovens Association)
- Represented Next plc in a dispute over domain name, trade mark and copyright infringement with a local online and brick-and-mortar shop.
- Represented EDANA in the resolution of a complex IP dispute with a third-party Ukrainian distributor participating in public tenders.
- Represented Next Retail in opposing the bad faith registration of trade marks.
Oleksandr Peremezhko & Partners is recommended for its 'high-level services, prompt communication and client-oriented solutions'. Managing partner Oleksandr Peremezhko leads a practice that advises local and international clients on the acquisition, development, protection and exploitation of intellectual property, including transactions involving trade marks, software, music and audio-visual products, and other creative works. 'Bright, knowledgeable and reliable' senior associate Lidia Sokolova is highly regarded.
‘Oleksandr Peremezhko and Partners law firm demonstrated a highly professional and efficient approach to all matters in the field of the protection of intellectual property rights.‘
‘In the course of cooperation with this company, we have communicated with a large number of employees who showed a high level of competence and responsibility.‘
‘We can confidently provide the most positive recommendations and the highest rating of Oleksandr Peremezhko and Partners law firm, and characterise this company as a reliable and professional partner offering high-quality and efficient professional services.‘
‘Oleksandr Peremezhko and Partners is one of the most experienced firms in the area of intellectual property on the Ukrainian market. As a company dealing with IP issues on the daily basis, it is extremely valuable to us. OPP skllfully combines its remarkable international experience in this area with deep knowledge of specific Ukrainian issues.‘
‘Oleksandr Peremezhko has massive experience in the area of IP. The firm has always dedicated a lot of attention to this sector, which really shows in the work of OPP’s partners and associates.‘
‘Lidia Sokolova should be distinguished for her international experience in this area, her professionalism, and her devoted and meticulous approach.‘
‘Oleksandr Peremezhko and Partners is a leading firm in Ukraine. They stay close to their clients, anticipate their needs and deliver collaborative solutions to all of their legal requirements. They have an enviable commitment to their domestic and international clients and have a cutting-edge approach to innovative solutions for protecting IP rights in Ukraine and Russia.‘
‘Lidia Sokolova is a talented lawyer. She is super attentive, very intelligent and offers bespoke solutions to all of our client’s cases in Ukraine. I wouldn’t use any other lawyer in this region and she is certainly set to be a leading lawyer in Ukraine in the years ahead. Her diligence, commitment to the work and insightful advice adds real value to our client’s portfolios.‘
‘We started our cooperation with Oleksandr Peremezhko and Partners when the law firm was established. The level of service is truly remarkable. The lawyers are bright and quick-witted. The advice is comprehensive and well-thought-out.‘
‘Over the years Oleksandr Peremezhko and Partners has without a doubt proved to be the right choice and a reliable partner. When it comes to intellectual property expertise, the firm has absolutely unique knowledge and skills on the Ukrainian market. What sets the firm apart is not only the high quality of the services and cost-efficiency, but also the impressive understanding of our industry and ability to develop and apply complex and effective legal strategies.‘
‘Oleksandr Peremezhko leads the advice and always keeps his finger on the pulse. Lidia Sokolova’s international experience is an absolute advantage. We would also single out Valentyn Bazhanov for his experience and knowledge in the IP sector.‘
BOMOND GROUP LLC
BURSATELIER DEVELOPMENT, LLC
LLC “KOOPERATIV MIND”
SIA ARTFORMS PRODUCTION
Active Cinema Group
ARTFORMS PRODUCTION UKRAINE
GLOBAL UKRAINIAN PORTAL LLC
TOPEX UKRAINE LLC
GREENWOOD GROUP LLC
PANAMA GRAND PRIX LLC
TAKEDA UKRAINE LLC
ASNOVA HOLDING PJSC
UKRAINIAN FILM DISTRIBUTION LLC
INTELLECTUAL SYSTEMS LLC
BRIDGE MASTIC ASPHALT ENGINEERING LLC
NATIONAL DOVZHENKO FILM STUDIO
KINOVYROBNYCHYI KOMPLEX LLC
IPR GROUP, Patent and Trademark Attorneys Bureau
SVIT AGROTECHNOLOGIY LLC
LE DOYEN LLC
LEGO UKRAINE LLC
CONSULTING FOR RETAIL
EKSMO PUBLISHING HOUSE
- Represented Dorco.Co.Ltd in the early termination of an opponent’s trade mark DORCO.
- Represented cosmetics and medical device manufacturer Toruńskie Zakłady Materiałów Opatrunkowych in the invalidation of the trade mark SENIPRO.
- Represented electrical appliances manufacturer Qingdao Haier Investment in the early termination of the trade mark HAIER.
PETOŠEVIC has 'an amazing, motivated, dynamic team with great understanding of clients' needs and concerns'. The Kiev practice is part of a network of 16 specialist IP offices serving countries in Eastern Europe. It handles patent and trade mark prosecution for international clients, as well as the management of trade mark portfolios and enforcement actions in the CIS region. Dina Petošević is the lead partner.
‘The firm has a flexible approach. It is very efficient in the actions we need.‘
‘The paralegals and patent attorneys bring a high level of quality to their work.‘
SDM Partners LLC 'stands out through its proactive attitude and its ability to address its clients' needs and concerns'. Serhiy Dzis leads the practice, which handles the protection of IP patents, trade marks, trade names and copyright, and assists clients with the use of such rights on the internet, in software development, during data transfer and in other science-intensive processes. Dzis also represents clients in disputes concerning infringements of copyright, rights to inventions and utility models, and trade marks.
‘SDM Partners’ team is known for its high level of involvement and responsiveness. The IP team always provides creative solutions in complex negotiations.‘
‘Dmytro Syrota always offers practical solutions to real problems that go above and beyond the standard solutions. He provides actionable advice that is very timely and efficient. He combines legal acumen with a principled commercial approach that produces a good result.‘
Synergy IP Law Agency
Synergy IP Law Agency is 'very proactive and very influential' and it has 'a great team of professionals who care about their clients'. Clients praise the work of Viktoriia Ostapchuk, who leads on IP registration, and Anna Kravchuk, who is head of transactions and litigation. The firm provides support for business transactions involving IP, the development of protection strategies, litigation, and consultation on related areas such as taxation.
Viktoriia Ostapchuk; Anna Kravchuk
‘They work hard, but they always have time to listen and help and support. Mostly I like their dedication and enthusiasm. I usually have non-trivial ideas and requests and Synergy’s team always finds the best ways to implement them.‘
‘Viktoriia Ostapchuk and Anna Kravchuk are the best experts in the IP field I know. Working with them for many years I never doubted it.‘
ROZETKA.UA, LLC (UA)
LLC «NAUKOVO-VYROBNYCHE PIDPRYEMSTVO «AJAX» (UA)
SKIN TECH PHARMA GROUP, S.L. (Spain)
Pulsar Expo s.r.o.
VIVO ACTIV LLC
Hayabusa Gightwear Inc.
- Representation of Lavina Mall’s interests before the Ukrainian IP Office regarding registration of the trade mark LAVINA , and the preparation of a response to a notification of provisional refusal.
- Pre-trial settlement of a trade mark infringement dispute for Agromarket concerning illegal use of the domain name agromarket.com.ua.
- Representation of Pulsar Expo’s interests regarding the international registration of the design of a vehicle in multiple jurisdictions.
The Kiev office of Taylor Wessing Ukraine is part of a global IT and IP group that has an outstanding reputation and a stellar roster of clients. Corporate partner Olena Stakhurska and counsel Vasyl Pop-Stasiv, who is head of the local group, are the key partners. Pop-Stasiv acts for national and international clients in matters concerning trade marks and copyright licensing, telecoms, research and development, financing, M&A, software development, marketing and antitrust issues.
Olena Stakhurska; Vasyl Pop-Stasiv
Vasil Kisil & Partners has recently expanded its client base of large global brands. Clients remark that it is 'a great law firm', and praise practice head Ilarion Tomarov as 'an experienced lawyer who is always ready to help'. The firm advises international and large domestic clients on the entire IP life cycle from audits to filing to the structuring of cross-border transactions and dispute resolution.
Ante Law Firm
Ante Law Firm has been particularly active handling complex IP disputes and IP management matters for global brands such as Sanofi-Aventis and Qatar Airways Group, as well as large domestic companies. Senior associate Kateryna Ishchenko is the key lawyer in a practice with in-depth experience in the IT, aviation and pharmaceuticals sectors. Its work covers compliance checks for marketing materials, the protection of IP rights, litigation and the registration of trade marks in Ukraine and abroad.
Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine LLC
Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C.
Ms. Olena Redya, Cocobant TM
Evyap Trading Ukraine LLC
Yaskravo LLC (Simo AR)
Ms. Maria Kurochkina, Chief Editor of Artbooks Publishing House
Lutsk Foods LLC (Runa TM)
- Advising on Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine’s marketing activities, involving usage of its own and acquired objects of IP rights, and checking compliance of advertising and promotional materials with Ukrainian legislation.
- Advising on Qatar Airways’ marketing activities, involving usage of its own and acquired objects of IP rights, and checking compliance of advertising and promotional materials with Ukrainian legislation.
- Advising on medical device company Zdravo’s marketing activities, involving usage of its own and acquired objects of IP rights, and checking compliance of advertising and promotional materials with Ukrainian legislation.
Avellum 'has gained valuable legal experience regarding controversial issues connected to the current legislation and it ensures timely and rapid answers to clients' questions'. Counsel Anton Polikarpov, who joined from an in-house role at Roshen Confectionery Corporation, leads the practice, which has been increasingly active advising on the IP aspects of large, cross-border M&A transactions, and also has experience in key areas such as software licensing and litigation.
‘We appreciate the high level of the team’s personal involvement in our case. The team helped to choose the most successful strategy. Attention to detail, deep knowledge of the subject, creativity and effectiveness were the standout features of the team.‘
‘Anton Polikarpov stands out because he has worked in-house before and knows clients’ needs. The practice has some of the best expertise in the market.‘
‘Anton Polikarpov meets the client’s needs and has deep expertise in the IP field.‘
Roshen Confectionery Corporation
Kaufland Dienstleistung GmbH & Co. KG.
Louis Vuitton Malletier
- Advising Roshen Confectionery Corporation in connection with IP portfolio management.
- Advising Roshen Confectionery Corporation in connection with the recognition of the “Roshen” trade mark as well-known in Belarus.
- Advising Deeper UAB on Ukrainian law matters in connection with the prosecution of the “Deeper” trade mark in Ukraine.
Axon Partners is a full-service firm focused predominantly on the IT sector, with IP a key area of practice. The firm has office in Kharjiv, Lviv and Kiev, and its key practitioners are CEO Dima Gadomsky and Lviv-based partner Lidiya Klymkiv. IP rights and data protection are among its core strengths.
Very Good Security
Compatel Ukraine LLC
Innovataion Park UnitCity
Drozdov & Partners Architect Bureau
Go Beauties Studio
- Advised StepShot OÜ on its merger with UiPath, which involved significant work related to regulated intellectual property rights.
- Acted for Newoldstamp in an M&A transaction, which involved a pre-trial settlement to protect the company’s intellectual property rights.
Crane IP Law Firm
'The firm has high-quality know-how combined with a very high legal level in the field of intellectual property', says a client of specialist boutique firm Crane IP Law Firm. Elena Polosmak and Ivan Nikitchenko lead the team, which provides IP services for investment projects to foreign investors in the markets of all post-Soviet countries, and acts for Russian-speaking clients in Ukraine and Russia in their activities abroad.
Elena Polosmak; Ivan Nikitchenko
‘The firm has high-quality know-how combined with a very high legal level in the field of intellectual property. Their availability and involvement in files demonstrates their professional commitment.‘
‘We currently work with Elena Polosmak. The work done by Elena is above all high quality due to her continuous training. In addition, she has real experience in the field and a very good knowledge of trade mark law. Elena has the ability to adapt to customer deadlines and to work in an emergency while providing quality work.‘
‘They resolve our requests quickly and their advice is full of quality.‘
Corporate partner Oleh Malskyy leads the practice at Eterna Law, which handles the creation, exploitation and enforcement of IP rights. As well as handling the IP aspects of M&A transactions, the firm also acts in a range of disputes including complex patent actions and cases involving trade marks, domain names, passing-off, copyright, database rights and breach of confidence claims.
Evris has seen its IP practice grow since the arrival of Alexander Molotai and his team from Konnov & Sozanovsky in 2018. A young firm with a dynamic IP practice, it offers a comprehensive range of services including the registration of patents and trade marks, licensing, commercial IP matters, litigation and enforcement. Molotai acts for domestic and multinational clients in key sectors such as energy, pharmaceuticals, agriculture, food and beverage, FMCG and IT.
Gorodissky & Partners
The sizeable team of specialist patent and trade mark lawyers at Gorodissky & Partners advises domestic and international clients on the full range of IP matters. Head of patents Maksym Bocharov and head of the trade marks, industrial design and legal practice Oleg Zhukhevych are the key contacts.
Maksym Bocharov; Oleg Zhukhevych
Gramatskiy&Partners is a full-service firm with a key focus on the IT sector. The key practitioners are Borys Karas, who advises clients on copyright issues relating to the mass media, TV and internet; Igor Reutov, who handles IP issues in IT and research and development, software licensing and the protection of trade marks; and the 'flexible, attentive and client-oriented' Mykola Voytovich. Among the team's clients are Danfoss and Fun Food Family.
Borys Karas; Igor Reutov; Mykola Voytovych
‘We have worked with Gramatskiy & Partners for many years. We are fully satisfied with their competence, they are our irreplaceable legal consultants.‘
‘Mykola Voitovych organises all the communication and sets affairs in motion. He is a highly professional lawyer with great experience.‘
LLC «Platforma Holding (Cyprus) Limited»
IT Enterprise LLC
Fun Food Family
Linecore Studio LLC
VPG Agro Plus LLC, VPG Trading LLC
GLOBAL UNIVERSAL TRADING LTD
- Obtaining trade mark certificates for Platforma Holding (Cyprus) Limited.
- Advising IT Enterprise LLC on concluding international contracts for the provision of IT services and sale of software licences to EU companies.
- Advising Fun Food Family on the registration of the trade mark for a new chain of restaurants (“Brusketa”).
Hillmont Partners LLC's recently established practice is led by Taras Tertychnyi, whose experience includes managing the trade mark portfolio of one of Ukraine's leading manufacturers of alcoholic beverages. The firm's work covers piracy, trade mark protection, infringement matters, commercial and administrative disputes, trade mark registration and high-profile litigation.
‘The team has a lot of knowledge of the FMCG sector and knows how to analyse and protect its clients within the framework of a relatively underdeveloped legal area. Their connections with UkrPatent are excellent and allow them to achieve very good information levels for clients and moreover keep their clients abreast of any regulatory developments.‘
- Successfully defended one of the largest producers of media content in Europe in a landmark case against the Security Service of Ukraine, the State Film Agency and Ministry of Culture.
Integrites focuses its IP work on copyright disputes, trade mark infringement, audits, pre-trial and court proceedings, and internet-related matters. Contentious matters constitute a large part of its practice but it also handles IP and IT contracts and licence agreements. Senior associate and practice head Dariya Ganzienko is experienced in domain name disputes, and represents both plaintiffs and defendants in trade mark and copyright infringement cases.
- Advised Valagro, a leading company in the production and marketing of biostimulants, regarding counteracting unfair competition from competitors and the protection of infringed IP rights.
- Represented Panasonic in a case relating to the protection of IP rights, infringed by the unauthorised usage of a trade mark by a competitor.
LEX INTELS Intellectual Property Law Firm
LEX INTELS Intellectual Property Law Firm in Odessa has built up a strong regional client base, which it advises on the protection of trade marks, geographical indications, inventions, industrial designs, utility models, topographies of integrated circuits, objects of copyright and related rights. The 'professional, energetic and persistent' Natalya Lemeshchuk leads the practice, which clients describe as 'attentive, competent, responsible and creative'.
‘In our opinion, LEX INTELS IP LAW FIRM is an exceptionally professional team, which can provide a wide range of services in the field of intellectual property.’
‘I have been cooperating with LEX INTELS since 2012. For me as a creative person it is a pleasure to work with these experts – they are not only competent but also interesting and communicative people.‘
‘It is a great pleasure to work with Natalya Lemeshchuk. She is an incredibly competent, smart and results-oriented expert.‘
‘Natalya Lemeshchuk shows commitment and persistence in her work. She is a true professional and expert in her field. She is thorough and proactive, and I believe that all her clients only benefit from it.‘
‘They are true professionals. The experts of LEX INTELS are dedicated and assertive in their work, they are communicative and speak foreign languages.‘
‘Natalya Lemeshchuk is an exceptional expert in her field. Her deep knowledge and expertise provided our intellectual property objects with legal protection internationally in a great number of countries.‘
‘Olha Volotkevych is an incredibly talented professional. With her attentive assistance all the procedural steps are done in an accurate and timely manner.‘
‘Thanks to Natalya Lemeshchuk all our issues which arise in the field of the patenting and protection of our intellectual property rights are always easily resolved. The professionalism and competence of Natalia Gavrylenko are also worth of mentioning. In general, all team members of LEX INTELS IP LAW FIRM take their work seriously and responsibly.‘
ALYANS DISTRIBUTION LTD
CHERKASY INSTITUTE OF FIRE SAFETY named after Chornobyl Heroes
KAMBIO-INVEST Industrial and Construction Group
KMK AGRO, LLC
ODESSA COAL COMPANY
REAL ESTATE PREMIER, LLC
SMELYANSKIY ELECTROMECHANICAL PLANT (Scientific and Production Enterprise) PJSC
STEP IT ACADEMY
THE MYKHAILO BOSOI SCIENTIFIC AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF PHYSIOLOGY
TRUCK CORD LTD
VIC UKRPRODEXPORT LLC
- Conducting an informational search and filing eight applications for trade mark registration for Alyans Distribution Ltd.
- Conducting a patent search and filing and obtaining patents concerning two utility model applications for Apply Company and Beltendo Company.
- Conducting a patent search and filing two applications for the granting of patents on utility models for the Cherkasy Institute of Fire Safety (named after Chornobyl Heroes).
Redcliffe Partners hired a new head of IP towards the end of 2019, with Maria Koval joining as counsel from Ilyashev & Partners. The firm advises clients on developing, exploiting and protecting their IP assets, with a range of services relating to trade names, copyright, patents, designs, domain names, trade secrets, marketing, franchising and unfair competition issues. It has a special focus on trade mark analysis, registration and protection.
‘We have used Redcliffe Partners’ IP team repeatedly for trade mark portfolio management advice and trade mark registration. The team has outstanding international outreach and is capable of handling multiple international registrations as one project. The team is never shy to question the approach suggested by the client or to offer an even better solution both at the local level and internationally.‘
INKAS Group of Companies
Next Level Racing
- Advised Straco BVBA in relation to IP due diligence for the acquisition of the Ukrainian subsidiaries of Greenyard NV (Belgium) engaged in the mycoculture business.
- Advised JP Morgan Securities Plc on the IP clauses of an EPC contract for a wind farm project in relation to compliance with Ukrainian IP law requirements.
- Advised Next Level Racing in relation to IP rights infringement.
Wolf Theiss frequently handles the IP aspects of cross-border M&A transactions, many of which involve companies from German-speaking jurisdictions. It is also involved in its clients' e-commerce projects and advises on the formalisation of IP rights and portfolio management. The practice led by corporate partner Taras Dumych also assists with the protection of trade marks on the internet, notably with regard to domain names.
A1 Telekom Austria
- Advising A1 Telekom Austria on the contemplated acquisition of the leading Ukrainian telecoms company, which included due diligence on IP assets.
- Advising German company Rent24 and the founders of the leading Ukrainian co-working operator Chasopys on the IP-related part of their joint venture transaction.
- Advising Munich Re on the licensing of its trade mark “ERV” for the purpose of its use by the Ukrainian insurance company controlled by Euroins.