Energy in Ukraine
Aequo is 'capable of handling large projects with multiple work streams'. Among its key domestic clients is Naftogaz, the largest oil and gas company in Ukraine, for which the firm handles corporate, finance and contentious matters. Denis Lysenko and Anna Babych oversee a practice that handles regulatory matters in both the conventional and alternative energy markets, joint ventures, investments, contractual relationships, tax matters and disputes.
‘Pavlo Byelousov, Ksenia Koriukalova and Mykhaylo Soroka are very diligent and responsive.‘
‘Aequo is a well-known firm in the Ukrainian legal market. The team I worked with are solid experts in energy regulation in Ukraine as well as prominent practitioners in dispute resolution.‘
‘Pavlo Byelousov is my contact person at Aequo. I personally value and am impressed by his first-hand experience from high-profile and first-of-a-kind litigation and arbitration cases. Pavlo is always up-to-date on any energy industry development or problem in Ukraine, which makes it easy to work on ongoing urgent matters. Also, I would mention Ksenia Koriukalova as an experienced and very responsive lawyer.‘
‘Finance partner Yulia Kyrpa is incredibly smart and always available.‘
Green for Growth Fund
Naftogaz of Ukraine
ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih
- Acting as Ukrainian counsel to NJSC Naftogaz of Ukraine on in connection with a eurobonds issue.
- Acting as Ukrainian counsel to NJSC Naftogaz of Ukraine and its subsidiaries in an international investment arbitration against the Russian Federation over the breach of the Ukraine-Russia bilateral investment treaty by expropriating the Naftogaz group’s assets in Crimea.
- Acting as legal counsel to Naftogaz on the cross-border enforcement of the 2018 final transit award.
Antika Law Firm
At Antika Law Firm, 'the uniqueness of each team member is a combination of deep scientific knowledge and extensive practical experience'. Alexey Kot leads on natural resources and subsoil projects, while leading light Alexander Burtovoy, who is vice-chair of the Ukrainian Bar Association's Committee on Energy, Oil and Gas, handles energy efficiency matters. Andrey Kuznetsov focuses on litigation for energy sector clients.
‘Alexey Kot and Maxim Korchagin are high-level professionals who carefully analysed each issue and whose opinion was decisive in resolving the issues successfully.‘
Ukrainian Subsidiaries of Cadogan Petroleum Plc
Esan (Representative Office in Ukraine)
- Advised the Ukrainian subsidiaries of Cadogan Petroleum Plc on different legal issues related to special permits for subsoil use, as well as issues connected to the production of hydrocarbons within the territory of Ukraine.
- Advised Nefco on its financing of two energy efficiency projects in public buildings in the cities of Ivano-Frankivsk and Chernivtsi.
Asters 'always has enough people in the team with knowledge of the subject you need to resolve - they understand what you need'. The practice led by Armen Khachaturyan and Yaroslav Petrov acts for developers, private equity funds, lenders, contractors, project companies, traders and government agencies in the development, financing, construction, operation, sale and acquisition of both conventional and renewable energy projects.
China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC)
VR Capital Group
Iskander Energy Corporation
LINIK (Lisichansk Oil Refinery)
Black Sea Trade and Development Bank
- Advised VR Capital Group on its acquisition of 50% of the outstanding shares in PVK Energy Investments (Cyprus) from ICU Group.
- Advised Norsk Solar AS, a Norwegian solar power developer, in connection with a project for the construction of a solar power plant.
- Advised Black Sea Trade and Development Bank (BSTDB) on Ukrainian law in connection with an additional $20m financing to Galnaftogaz, a leading Ukrainian petroleum retailer company.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office's energy, oil and gas, mining and infrastructure practice group 'works really well and includes recognised industry experts'. Managing partner Serhiy Piontkovsky leads the group, which handles multi-jurisdictional energy deals involving pipelines, LNG, distribution networks, oil and gas trading, petrochemicals, and the construction of nuclear and renewable energy plants. Ihor Olekhov left for CMS but counsel Yuriy Tsvetkov joined from Cub Energy. Counsel Hanna Shtepa is highly recommended.
‘The team was very responsive and extremely accommodating with the timeframes given.‘
‘Counsel Hanna Shtepa has a wealth of knowledge of the industry and is very responsive to our needs. She is always accessible and flexible with our different time zones when needed for conference calls. We felt she had delivered all the necessary material in a timely matter for our company to make the right investment decision quickly and with confidence.’
‘Hanna Shtepa did an outstanding job and I would recommend her and her team to any of my partners.‘
‘Counsel Andrii Moskalyk provides a high level of expertise in corporate law matters.‘
Polenergia International S.à r.l., a subsidiary of Kulczyk Investments SA
State Property Fund (Baker McKenzie acting in consortium with EY)
SE NPC Ukrenergo
ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih
The World Bank
- Advising Polenergia International, a subsidiary of Kulczyk Investments SA, on structuring its joint participation in and bid for a public-private partnership with the Ukrainian government in the area of electricity transmission and nuclear power generation.
- Drafting legislation relevant to the implementation of Ukraine’s national framework for the monitoring, reporting and verification of greenhouse gas emissions on behalf of the World Bank.
- Advised Bayerische Landesbank in connection with a €180m loan facility to finance the construction of the second stage of the Primorsk wind farm in the Zaporizhzha region of Ukraine.
CMS frequently acts for energy traders, oil and gas companies, and oilfield services operators. Practice co-head Vitaliy Radchenko handles transactions in both renewable and conventional energy and is a pioneer in production-sharing agreements; fellow co-head Johannes Trenkwalder advises on renewable energy, energy infrastructure and energy efficiency projects; and Maria Orlyk is currently involved in the unbundling of the Ukrainian Gas Transmission System Operator. Senior associate Volodymyr Kolvakh is also recommended. Ihor Olekhov joined from Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office.
‘It has a combination of general industry expertise and deep understanding of clients’ needs. The team is always focused on practical solutions.‘
‘Vitaliy Radchenko is well known and praised for his personal and unique approach to each client. He has a very proactive position in advising his clients.‘
‘Volodymyr Kolvakh is known for providing straight-to-the-point solutions and advice based on his professional expertise.‘
EuroCape New Energy Limited
The World Bank
Scatec Solar ASA
Energy Community Secretariat
EU Delegation to Ukraine
Main Gas Pipelines of Ukraine
- Advised EuroCape on the financing of the first phase of a 500MW wind power project in Ukraine.
- Advising the World Bank in connection with the ongoing process of the unbundling of the Ukrainian Gas Transmission System Operator.
- Advising a new investor in Ukraine, Scatec Solar, on various project acquisitions to construct solar power plants in Ukraine.
Dentons has a broad focus but is particularly active in renewable energy projects. Oleg Batyuk leads the energy and natural resources practice, in which partner Adam Mycyk and counsel Maksym Sysoiev are highly recommended. Their work encompasses wind and solar developments, upstream oil and gas, nuclear energy and coal projects, and they have been highly active in high-value matters.
‘The team deals with all the issues related to the energy industry, starting with incorporating an entity or setting up a project and ending with advice on the litigation issues.‘
‘The team communicates effectively. The information they provide is always credible and just to the point.‘
DTEK Renewables BV
TIU Canada Ukraine
- Advising Nordex Group on the implementation of a project for the construction, maintenance and supply of a wind farm in Ukraine.
- Advising DTEK Renewables BV on signing a contract with General Electric for the supply of modern wind turbines.
- Advising DTEK Renewables BV on the implementation of the Orlovka wind farm project.
Integrites has been increasingly active in energy matters, with expertise in the renewable energy sector and the wind power market. Oleksiy Feliv leads the practice, which recently handled the first large-scale non-recourse project financing for renewable energy in Ukraine. It is also a key adviser on upstream and downstream oil and gas projects, project finance and investment arbitration. Project finance partner Igor Krasovskiy joined from Jeantet.
‘Our transaction would not have been possible without the advice of Oleksiy Feliv and his team.’
‘In addition to legal advice, the team has also provided invaluable access to decision makers in the industry and government.‘
‘Oleksiy Feliv is by far the most experienced and connected lawyer in Ukraine within the energy space. His knowledge of the industry reaches far beyond what can be expected from a lawyer, as he has also been a wind power developer himself. He has helped us reach out to decision makers every time we have had critical issues in the development and financing of a project.‘
‘They are attentive and meet deadlines, and I recommed Igor Krasovskiy.‘
‘Integrites is not just a legal firm, it is a real partner in our business. They have an extremely pragmatic approach and in-depth knowledge of the energy market.‘
‘They are able to not only support the contract negotiation but to guide us in the Ukrainian energy industry.‘
‘The team’s capacity to work at an international level makes them very valuable for our company.‘
‘0leksiy Feliv embodies perfectly the values of Integrites and is ready to stand on the side of his client day and night to find a deal. His ability to remain quiet, whatever the behaviour of the other party, makes him a key asset in the negotiation.‘
‘0leksiy Feliv is also recognised as a reliable partner by all of the administration in Ukraine.‘
‘As a client, it was a great experience to work with this professional team. Moreover, it was clear from their approach to cases and problems that they are not only a service provider but a part of our company.‘
‘At different layers and branches we had same professional treatment with individuals being available 24/7 with 100% of their attention on clients’ cases and needs, which raises the bar for sure.‘
‘We consider our co-operation with Integrites to be very fruitful and efficient. The company has great and unique experience in Ukrainian and international legislation, namely in project development, realisation, approvals and land allocation processes, as well as in the energy sector in general. They can find solutions for very difficult questions and challenges and ensure positive results.‘
‘The people working in Integrites are reliable, efficient, responsible, wise and experienced. They are involved and really interested in finding the best possible solution for the client. I would especially like to mention Oleksiy Feliv and Gennadii Roschepii.‘
‘Its profound expertise in energy makes Integrites stand out on the market. I would recommend the firm to international business exploring opportunities in particular in Ukraine’s renewables.‘
‘I communicated mostly with Oleksiy Feliv, the managing partner. He is a recognised legal expert in energy in Ukraine. He and his team have supported many international investors who have entered the Ukrainian market in recent years. I like his attitude and his advice has been always professional, timely and comprehensive.‘
‘Constructing a friendly relationship and being involved in the subject, even if it is minor, are what makes Integrites’ partners and associates unique for our company. This is even more crucial when you invest abroad.‘
AKW Ukrainian Kaolin
MOSTON Properties Limited
SE NPC “Ukrenergo”
- Advising Wärtsilä on the development of a new market, the construction of several generation and co-generation power plants worth €1-2 bn, and the implementation of electricity supply security.
- Advising NBT, the Norwegian wind farm developer, on the acquisition of a project company with the potential and lease rights to develop the Zophia wind farm.
- Advised independent European wind farm developer and operator Eurocape/LongWing on the construction of the first 98MW phase of a planned 500MW wind farm in Ukraine.
Kinstellar acts for major domestic clients including Naftogaz of Ukraine, as well as global energy majors and large investors in both conventional and renewable energy projects. Olena Kuchynska leads a practice that handles M&A, project finance, regulatory matters, energy trading contracts, power plant projects, disputes and compliance issues. Its current work includes some of the largest wind power plant projects in Ukraine.
Naftogaz of Ukraine
State Property Fund of Ukraine
Investment Fund for Developing Countries (IFU)
- Advised the supervisory board of Naftogaz of Ukraine and its committees on the legislative regulation of the energy sector.
- Advised China’s largest energy equipment manufacturer, TBEA, on potential investments into a 500MW wind power plant in southern Ukraine.
- Acted as Ukrainian counsel to the Danish investment fund Industrialization Fund for Developing Countries on a €5.75m loan facility to three project companies of Kness Group.
Redcliffe Partners is a leader in the project finance space and clients remark that it has 'a smart, efficient and hardworking team that does great work'. Practice head Dmytro Fedoruk frequently handles transactional and regulatory matters for oil and gas companies. The firm has developed a large portfolio of work in the renewable energy sector, which includes a key role in the largest wind project financing in Ukraine.
‘Dmytro Fedoruk is one of the best lawyers that I have worked with in Europe. He helps me identify issues and craft solutions before they become impediments. It doesn’t hurt that he is also super-responsive and incredibly easy to work with.‘
Glencore International AG
Aice Hydro A/S
Mng Group of Companies
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Black Sea Trade and Development Bank
Investment Fund for Developing Countries
- Acted for the EBRD, Nefco, BSTDB, Proparco, Finnfund, IFU, FMO, Green for Growth Fund and J.P. Morgan Securities Plc in a €262m secured term loan to Ukrainian project company SyvashEnergoProm to fund the construction of a 250MW wind power plant.
- Advising a NASDAQ-listed special purposes acquisition vehicle, Trident Acquisitions, on its plans to develop a massive offshore Dolphin block on the Black Sea shelf.
- Advised Ukrnafta on the potential sale of its gas-producing assets to NAK Naftogaz of Ukraine.
Sayenko Kharenko has a multi-disciplinary team with experience across electricity, mining and metals, nuclear energy, oil and gas, power and renewables. It handles transactional, infrastructure, contentious and regulatory issues in the mining, oil and gas, and renewable energy sectors, and is also a key player in Ukraine's major energy efficiency programmes. Nazar Chernyavsky, new partner Igor Lozenko and counsel Maryna Hritsyshyna, who is 'one of the best in Ukraine', are the key practitioners.
‘They have good experience in the renewable market and support you independently.‘
‘They are very ethical and keep your matters confidential.‘
‘Maryna Hritsyshyna is able to act as a part of your team to explain all the detail patiently and in good time.‘
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
General Electric Company
Nordic Environment Finance Corporation (NEFCO)
Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
State of Ukraine
VR Global Partners L.P.
- Representing the State of Ukraine in an Energy Charter Treaty investment arbitration.
- Advising VR Global Partners on the establishment of a joint venture to develop solar power plants in Ukraine
- Advising DTEK Renewables on the construction of the Primorskaya wind energy project with a capacity of 200MW.
Arzinger has 'a strong and professional team that is forward-looking, creative and pragmatic in its advice'. Managing partner Timur Bondaryev, who focuses on corporate and antitrust matters, leads a practice that handles M&A transactions, competition law and disputes in the energy sector. Its work encompasses both conventional and renewable energy matters, including upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas projects.
‘Timur Bondarev is very energetic and always ready to help. It is easy to reach him. He is client-oriented and gives his team the right guidance to reach the desired outcome.‘
‘Oleksander Dyakulychis is pragmatic and focused on the actions which can work. He is strong in litigation and competition law.‘
‘Oksana Karel has a strong expertise in international arbitration. Her advice is clear and comprehensive.‘
CNBM International Energy PTE LTD (Singapore)
- Represented CNBM International Energy Ptd Ltd (Singapore) in commercial litigation.
Avellum handles corporate and finance matters in the renewable energy, oil and gas, power, nuclear, mining and metals sectors. Senior partner Glib Bondar leads the energy, finance and debt restructuring practices. He handles financings, capital markets issuances and debt restructuring matters arising from energy and infrastructure projects. Much of the firm's work involves the development, acquisition, disposal and financing of energy projects for international and large local investors.
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Deutsche Bank AG
Investment Capital Ukraine
SM Invest Construction B.V.
Nederlandse Financierings – Maatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (“FMO”)
Nordic Environment Finance Corporation (“NEFCO”)
Swedfund International AB
- Acted as Ukrainian counsel to the joint lead managers on the eurobond issue by Naftogaz of Ukraine.
- Advised SM Invest & Construction BV on the sale of 100% of the shares in a holding company which owns the underlying assets to develop a 148MW solar power plant in the Mykolaiv region to Scatec Solar.
- Acted as Ukrainian counsel to the EBRD and the Black Seas Trade and Development Bank in connection with a senior secured loan of up to €36m to Rengy Bioenergo LLC (Ukraine) to finance the construction and operation of solar power plants.
DLA Piper handles the drafting of concession and licence agreements, as well as gas supply and power purchase agreements and construction contracts. It is also active in project finance and contentious matters in the energy sector. Head of finance Oleksandr Kurdydyk and head of corporate Galyna Zagorodniuk are the key partners in the practice, which counts General Electric and the US International Development Finance Corporation (previously Opic) among its clients.
BMUB (Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety of Germany)
U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (previously the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC))
- Advised the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety of Germany and a working group including the Ministry for Regional Development, Building and Housing of Ukraine in relation to the establishment of the European Energy Efficiency Fund.
- Advising the US International Development Finance Corporation (previously Opic) on the financing of a four-phase, 500MW wind farm in central Ukraine.
Energy and natural resources is one of the major areas of focus for Eterna Law, where corporate partners Oleh Malskyy and Maksym Uslystyi lead the practice. The team's work covers the procurement of exploration and extraction permits, advice on concessions, the drafting and negotiating of procurement and product-sharing agreements, and compliance reviews. It frequently advises international investors - largely from Turkey, Greece and Lithuania - on acquiring assets in the renewable energy sector.
Gamma Solar Holding
- Advised Modus Group (one of the largest operators in the alternative energy market in Europe) on legal and financial audits of solar energy projects and a 35MW project acquisition in the Zhytomyr region of Ukraine.
- Advising a private investor on the preparation for the sale and purchase of wind energy projects.
- Advising Gamma Solar Holding on establishing a business presence in Ukraine through the acquisition and development of solar energy projects.
EVERLEGAL has 'a very good team that is highly responsive'. The firm handles transactional matters, litigation and international arbitration for energy companies, among which are major developers of renewable energy projects. It is currently advising on the sale of interests in several solar power plants in Ukraine. Practice heads Yevheniy Deyneko and Andriy Olenyuk were joined in June 2018 by finance and arbitration partner Vsevolod Volkov from Integrites.
‘Andriy Olenyuk’s command of English and his commercial experience are excellent. In addition, he pragmatically bridged disconnects with our expectations, enabling the transaction to go smoothly despite the counterparties’ inexperience.‘
Go To-U Network
- Advising UDP Renewables on the sale of several solar power plants under development in the Kiev region of Ukraine to Acciona Energy.
- Advising UDP Renewables on the sale of a 50% stake in the solar power plant project under development in the Odessa region of Ukraine to E‑Group (Slovakia).
- Advising UDP Renewables on the sale of a 75.01% stake in a number of solar power plant projects under development in the Odessa region of Ukraine to Acciona Energy.
GOLAW advises on the development of numerous solar and wind energy projects in Ukraine, and it has niche experience in assisting clients with the construction of biomass power plants. Finance partner Sergiy Oberkovych and corporate partner Max Lebedev are the key practitioners. Their work includes advising foreign investors on the acquisition of renewable energy projects, regulatory matters, environmental issues and permits.
KBPP Management Ltd.
Georgian International Energy Corporation
- Advised KBPP Management Ltd on negotiations for EPC and O&M contracts under FIDIC standards with the Danish company BWSC for the construction of a 46MW biomass power plant.
- Advised GIEC on due diligence and the acquisition of stocks in a 22MW solar power project.
- Advising TIU Canada, the Ukrainian subsidiary of Canadian investment fund Refraction Asset Management, on the due diligence of a 10MW solar energy project in the Mykolaiv region.
At Vasil Kisil & Partners, construction and real estate specialist Alexander Borodkin leads the renewables practice and litigator Oleg Alyoshin is head of oil and gas. The firm handles complex energy assets transactions, including matters related to the surveying, exploration and industrial development of mineral deposits, the use of natural resources, and project implementation under the framework of the Kyoto Protocol.
Littop Enterprises Limited,
Bridgemont Ventures Limited
Bordo Management Limited
UkrWind Investments Limited (UK)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Astra Capital (Ukraine)
Odeh Asalem Automation System ODASCO (UAE)
Pars Anatolian (Turkey)
- Representing Littop Enterprises Limited, Bridgemont Ventures Limited and Bordo Management Limited in an international arbitration case related to the sale of natural gas.
- Acted as Ukrainian legal advisor to Ukrainian billionaires Gennadiy Bogolyubov and Igor Kolomoisky in a major dispute brought by Russian oil company Tatneft.
- Advised Ukr Wind Investments Limited (UK) on the Southern-Ukrainian Windelectrostation.
EnGarde Attorneys at Law
EnGarde Attorneys at Law advises energy producers, transporters, consumers and other clients on projects in the mining, oil and gas, forestry, water and power industries. Andriy Vyshnevsky's practice covers agreements relating to property interests for natural resources, the debt and equity financing of resource companies, project finance, smelting and refining contracts, and general corporate, regulatory, compliance and contentious matters.
‘The team has excellent technical ability and it is noted for its very good strength in depth and well-directed responses.‘
‘Litigation partner Irina Nazarovna is committed to the job and to coming up with innovative solutions.‘
- Working with Shearman & Sterling, advising the State of Ukraine on the regulation of the Ukrainian electricity market within the framework of an ICSID arbitration.
At EY Law, private M&A, due diligence, restructuring and commercial law specialist Albert Sych leads on energy matters. The firm has been involved in key market reforms, including the unbundling and independence of the operator of the gas transportation system of Ukraine. The practice also handles production-sharing agreements between Ukraine and multinational companies.
Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine
- Advising Naftogaz of Ukraine (the state-owned oil and gas monopoly in Ukraine) on issues related to the unbundling and independence of the operator of the gas transportation system of Ukraine.
- Acted as an independent administrator for the third Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) report.
Hillmont Partners LLC's corporate, finance and litigation practices have become increasingly involved in the energy sector. The team led by Serhii Nyzhnyi also handles matters in the biogas and nuclear energy sectors, and counts Nuclear Energy Systems of Ukraine, which received the first private licence to explore uranium in Ukraine, as well as two of the country’s largest state energy companies, among its clients.
‘Hillmont Partners always works in a coordinated way, regardless of what team member consults me or prepares individual documents at a particular moment. Its services are extremely unified and consistent, as well as understandable for me and for the client.‘
‘Each of Hillmont Partners’ employees always has all the necessary information to solve the issue. Also, I can’t fail to note that the lawyers often suggest non-standard, but effective and economically efficient strategies to protect my interests, which favourably distinguishes them from other firms’ lawyers.‘
‘As a client of Hillmont Partners, I often communicate with partner Serhii Nyzhnyi and head of administrative and tax law Igor Pugaiko and I have extremely positive communication and cooperation with these experts, since all issues are solved on time and professionally.‘
‘I want to note that all these experts follow the general principles and never promise what they are not able to do or what is impossible, based on objective reasons. Therefore, my cooperation with this firm and its individual experts is characterised by predictability and frankness, which greatly contributes to our stable business development and makes it possible to plan business activities as safely and efficiently as possible.‘
«GAS OF UKRAINE» AFFILIATED COMPANY OF THE NATIONAL JOINT – STOCK COMPANY «NAFTOGAS OF UKRAINE»
«NUCLEAR ENERGY SYSTEMS UKRAINE» LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY
Stopfords Energy & Environment
PUBLIC JOINT-STOCK COMPANY «SHAKHTA IMENI O. F. ZASYADKA»
- Acted for a subsidiary of Naftogaz, the state oil and gas company of Ukraine, in a criminal case arising from losses amounting to UAH24m due to actions taken by officials of the Kharkiv region local authorities.
- Advising Nuclear Energy Systems Ukraine, which at the end of 2018 received the first private licence to explore uranium deposits in Ukraine.
- Acted for NPC Ukrenergo, the national grid operator of Ukraine, in a dispute with the Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine regarding the financing of the construction of individual energy infrastructure facilities, as part of the implementation of the Energy Strategy of Ukraine.
Ilyashev & Partners is 'very well connected throughout Ukraine and Russia, and works extremely well as co-counsel with European lawyers'. The practice is led by the 'extremely thorough and user-friendly' Mikhail Ilyashev and focuses mainly on arbitration and litigation for companies in the energy industry, including providers of infrastructure such as ports. It also handles investments, restructuring, privatisation and regulatory matters.
‘The team is proactive, dynamic and always very responsive.‘
‘Mikhail Ilyashev is very business-oriented and knowledgeable in energy matters, with many years of experience in our sector.‘
‘Mikhail Ilyashev is insightful and knows how to proceed on the strategic side.‘
‘Mikhail Ilyashev is one of the hardest-working lawyers I have come across.‘
‘Ilyashev & Partners is a well-reputed law firm with good experience in all the different aspects of a deal. We work closely with them on a daily basis, dealing with every aspect of our business. Cooperation with the firm ensures gaining a reliable partner in legal matters.’
‘I find the firm to be extremely dynamic and professional. Its availability and speed are great advantages.‘
‘Most of the strategy work on our projects was done by Oleg Trokhimchuk and Mikhail Ilyashev. We are very pleased with the transaction support. Communication with the team was operational and all issues were resolved in the shortest possible time.‘
Belomorskaya Neftebaza (White Sea Oil Depot, Russia)
LetterOne Group (L1 Energy)
Ukrainian Association of Renewable Energy
Vitino Oil Port (Russia)
JKX Oil & Gas
Poltava Petroleum Company
Zhigermunaiservice LLP (Kazakhstan)
ADESH plus (Russia)
- Advising Port Vitino on restructuring the group of companies in order to minimise the risks associated with its bankruptcy.
- Advised Belomorskaya Neftebaza on drafting a debt restructuring plan relating to the group of companies of Port Vitino (including White Sea Oil Depot), directed at the renewal of the port’s activities.
- Representing White Sea Complex B.V., the owner of an oil trans-shipment complex in the Russian seaport, in the Arbitration Court of the Murmansk Region in a case challenging the resolution of a bailiff on the arrest of 36 real estate objects worth £50m.
INPRAXI LAW has been increasingly active advising on renewable energy projects, including many high-value matters. The practice led by Oleksandr Slipko handles corporate, regulatory, project structuring, tax, employment, land rights, environmental and contentious issues arising from project development.
“SUNWIN 18” LLC
“RENGY ISMAIL” LLC
“RENGY BIOENERGO” LLC
“RENGY TATARBUNARY” LLC
“SUNWIN 13” LLC
“INGUL SOLAR” LLC
“GREEN ELEKTRA1” LLC
“SUNSTAR ENERGY” LLC
- Advising renewable energy company PodilskEnergo on the $60m sale of one of the most significant solar projects in the Khmelnytskyi region.
- Advising Sunwin 18 LLC on the framework of the construction of a $25m solar power plant.
- Advising Rengy Ismail LLC on the development of a $19m solar power plant project.
Jeantet acts for international developers in the development of EPC contracts with Ukrainian project companies for the construction of new conventional and renewable energy projects. Bertrand Barrier leads a practice that handles corporate matters and infrastructure project development. Its recent work includes the contractual structuring of onshore and offshore renewable energy projects and the drafting of EPC contracts.
TRYBA / EKOTECHNIK
UKRAINE POWER RESOURCES
- Advised a Romanian expert in oil and gas production enhancement on negotiating a PEC contract with state-owned company Ukrnafta.
- Advised Franco-Czech joint venture Tryba Energy on the Ukrainian law aspects of a 6MW photovoltaic station located in Ukraine.
- Advised Smart Energies on the contractual and corporate structuring of several photovoltaic plant projects in Ukraine.
KPMG Law in Ukraine
KPMG Ukraine handles corporate and M&A, compliance, tax and regulatory matters relating to the development of energy projects. It counts among its clients international oil and gas companies entering the Ukrainian market, as well as developers of renewable energy projects. Head of tax and legal Sergey Popov and head of legal services Yuriy Katser are the main contacts.
Aktif Halk Enerji
CCK Power Holdings Limited
Association of Gas Producers of Ukraine
- Advised on the due diligence of six Ukrainian ready-to-build solar power plant projects with a design capacity exceeding 60MW on behalf of Slovak energy company E-Group.
- Assisting CCK Power Holdings Limited – a leading Hong Kong energy investment company – with investments in the Ukrainian renewable energy sector.
- Assisting Mainstream with its efforts to acquire a minority stake in a Ukrainian SPV developing a wind power plant with a total capacity of 300MW in the Kherson region.
Sokolovskyi and Partners Law Firm
Sokolovskyi and Partners Law Firm advises companies specialising in renewable energy and electric power on tax, M&A, corporate and competition law matters. Oleh Kostiuchenko's team has 'a deep understanding of the energy sector'. Its workload includes assisting with the construction of alternative energy projects, service contracts, commercial matters, construction permits and land rights.
‘Both Oleh Kostiuchenko and Vladyslav Sokolovskyi have not only law diplomas but energy sector-specific education. This is why they easily speak the same language with our technical staff to provide us with superior legal services.‘
‘Last year I spent lots of time in co-operation with Oleh Kostiuchenko. This attorney is a high-level professional who is responsible and scrupulous in his job.‘
‘For many years, Sokolovskyi and Partners has been providing legal services in the field of taxation. This year we have worked with specialists in its energy practice in the building of a solar power plant. The distinct advantage of the the practice is that the attorneys have legal education as well as education in the field of energy.‘
‘We work with Oleh Kostiuchenko, who is a skilled lawyer and responsible for all issues related to the power engineering practice.‘
Solar Energy Association of Ukraine
Public organization «Scientific and technical center «Bioenergy»
- Acted for Ukrinterenergo in a dispute with public utility company Voda Donbasa, which is responsible for power supply to the eastern region of Ukraine and the uncontrolled territories of Donbas.