Aequo's team has '‘strong knowledge of Ukrainian energy markets, the gas market in particular', and according to one client, it has 'some of the deepest experience in the field out of all Ukrainian law firms'. Its work spans major projects in the oil and gas, power, nuclear and renewable energy sectors. Managing partner Denis Lysenko and corporate partner Anna Babych co-head the energy and natural resources practice, which draws together expertise from the firm's finance, litigation, corporate, regulatory and tax groups. Litigators Pavlo Byelousov and Myroslava Savchuk are heavily involved in energy matters. Finance partner Yulia Kyrpa is also recommended.
Energy in Ukraine
Denis Lysenko; Anna Babych
Other key lawyers:
Pavlo Byelousov; Myroslava Savchuk; Yulia Kyrpa
‘Strong knowledge of Ukrainian energy markets and gas markets in particular. Strong arbitration practice.’
‘Pavlo Byelousov is courteous, client-oriented and a strong English-language writer. He has a sharp strategic mind and focuses on the issues that truly matter to a case.’
‘Counsel Myroslava Savchuk is a hard worker and a strong English-language writer.’
‘It has some of the deepest experience in the field out of all Ukrainian law firms. They act for big-name clients, such as Naftogaz, and have developed a lot of respect in the market place.’
‘Finance partner Yulia Kyrpa is always available and can deal with the toughest of legal questions thrown at her with ease. She is a strong advocate for her clients and an adept negotiator and problem-solver.’
Arcelor Mittal Kryvyi Rih
Atlas Global Energy
Green for Growth Fund
Naftogaz of Ukraine
Ukrainian Kaolin Company
- Successfully represented UkrGasVydobuvannya in a dispute over the termination of an oil and gas production joint venture. With $700m at issue. This was a high-stakes dispute, covering both Ukraine and Central and Eastern Europe.
- Advised MET Ukraine on various corporate, commercial and regulatory matters in connection with gas trading business in Ukraine.
Antika Law Firm
Energy is a core area of focus at Antika Law Firm. One of the cornerstones of the practice concerns natural resources and subsoil use; this area is led by managing partner Alexey Kot. Energy efficiency and energy saving is another key pillar, with Alexander Burtovoy being the name to note in this space. Burtovoy is vice-chairman of the Committee on Energy, Oil and Gas of the Ukrainian Bar Association. The firm's work includes advice on all aspects of energy projects, including joint exploration, development and operation, as well as production sharing agreements. Litigation head Andrey Kuznetsov handles numerous disputes for clients in the energy sector.
Alexey Kot; Alexander Burtovoy
Other key lawyers:
Ukrainian subsidiaries of Cadogan Petroleum Plc
Esan (Representative Office in Ukraine)
- Working in the team of consultants in support of the NEFCO’s financed projects: “Energy efficiency improvements in public buildings in the city of Ivano-Frankivsk” and “Energy efficiency improvements in public buildings in the city of Chernivtsi”.
- The firm has been chosen as external legal counsel to Ukrainian subsidiaries of Cadogan Petroleum Plc to support their business activities in Ukraine. The firm is advising the client on different legal matters related to obtaining, prolongation and amending the special permits for subsoil use as well as other legal matters, which are connected to the production of hydrocarbons within the territory of Ukraine.
Asters' client roster includes developers, private equity funds and equity investors, lenders, contractors, project companies, traders and government agencies. It has a varied workload, which spans the development, financing, construction and operation of major energy projects. The firm also handles corporate transactions and regulatory matters in both the conventional and renewable energy markets, and is frequently called upon to assist with production-sharing agreements. Senior partner Armen Khachaturyan, partner Yaroslav Petrov and counsel Anzhelika Livitska jointly lead the practice. They combine experience in real estate, construction, project finance, regulatory matters and corporate transactions.
Armen Khachaturyan; Yaroslav Petrov; Anzhelika Livitska
China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC)
Enwell Energy plc (exRegal Petroleum Plc)
VR Capital Group
- Advising Modus Group on the implementation of the solar energy project in Ukraine.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office
At Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office, clients praise the 'strategic and strong analytical thinking' of the energy, mining and infrastructure practice For almost three decades, the firm has been involved in public-private partnerships (PPP), production sharing agreements (PSA), licensing and environmental impact assessment matters, project finance transactions and M&A in the domestic energy sector. Managing partner Serhiy Piontkovsky leads the practice, in which counsels Andrii Moskalyk and Hanna Shtepa play pivotal roles. The team's advice on multijurisdictional transactions includes major pipeline, LNG, distribution network, oil and gas, nuclear and renewable energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
Andrii Moskalyk; Hanna Shtepa
‘There exists a large number of regulations governing this practice area, sometimes contradictory to each other, and constant change in certain provisions, including in relation to state regulation of the area. Due to this, there were non-standard tasks requiring strategic and strong analytical thinking that team had to face, which required a variety of decisions to evaluate the tasks from different point of views, and provide a range of suitable solutions. Strong results came from the constant individual involvement of team members.’
Geo Alliance Partnership
MGU (sole shareholder of Gas Transmission System Operator of Ukraine)
Polenergia International S.à r.l., a subsidiary of Kulczyk Investments SA
State Property Fund
SE NPC Ukrenergo
ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih
The World Bank
The Kiev offices of CMS are home to a 16-lawyer energy and natural resources practice that handles an impressive range of work. It advises on the import, export and trading of gas and electricity, corporate transactions, regulatory matters, project finance, EPC contracts and production-sharing agreements, among other matters. Its work encompasses major projects in both the oil and gas market and the renewable energy sector. Vitaliy Radchenko, Johannes Trenkwalder, Maria Orlyk and Anna Pogrebna are the lead partners. Senior associate Volodymyr Kolvakh is also highly recommended.
Vitaliy Radchenko; Johannes Trenkwalder; Maria Orlyk; Anna Pogrebna
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is uniquely knowledgeable in specific areas of the law. Broadly, they are pleasant to deal with and very responsive. ’
‘Vitaliy Radchenko and Volodymyr Kolvakh have been incredibly valuable to our company and our business in Ukraine. They respond very quickly and provide key insight necessary for our successful operations in country.’
‘The firm has a strong Ukrainian legal background. Maria Orlyk and her team provided clear, on-time deliverables and was always available to discuss topics. Especially valued are its great responsiveness and flexibility, its ability to be effective and straight to the point, and not afraid to disagree. The team is solution-focussed and work out a way towards the common objective.’
EU Delegation to Ukraine
The World Bank
Scatec Solar ASA
Main Gas Pipelines of Ukraine
Energy Community Secretariat
- Assisted Expert Petroleum with negotiations with Ukraine’s major state-owned natural gas production company on the first-ever full-scale Production Enhancement Contract (PEC) in the history of Ukraine’s oil and gas industry.
- Advising North American international energy producer Vermillion that seeks to create value through the acquisition, exploration, development and optimization of producing properties in North America, Europe and Australia, on a product sharing agreements bids within Ukraine’s 2019 Production Sharing Agreement program.
- Legal support to EBRD on introduction of the procedure and implementation of competitive procurement process and developing secondary legislation for auctions for renewable energy projects in Ukraine.
Dentons has been involved in the development of Ukraine's energy sector for more than 25 years. Its partners continue to play key roles in the development of major projects in the upstream oil and gas, nuclear and renewable energy sectors. Recent work included advising VLC Renewables (a fund established by Low Carbon and Vitol) on its investment in the first phase of a 500MW onshore wind farm at Zaporizhia. Maksym Sysoiev and Adam Mycyk lead the practice, in which managing partner Oleg Batyuk plays a central role. They work as part of the firm's global energy and infrastructure practice, which is the largest in the world.
Maksym Sysoiev; Adam Mycyk
Other key lawyers:
Investment Fund for Developing Countries – IFU
Power Construction Corporation Of China
- Advised VLC Renewables, the Jersey-based fund established by Low Carbon and Vitol, on its investment in the first phase of a 500MW onshore wind farm at Zaporizhia in Ukraine.
- Advised an international investor on the construction of three wind farms with a total capacity of 270MW in Ukraine.
- Advised Grasshopper Solar Corporation on the regulatory framework in the renewable energy sector of Ukraine.
Integrites is 'a very reliable and effective firm that is able to solve challenging issues'. 'They know the industry well, as well as the challenges companies face while implementing projects in Ukraine'. The practice, which is led by Oleksiy Feliv, is heavily involved in the financing of energy projects, most notably in the renewables sector. Its recent highlights included handling the financing of the 250MW Syvash wind farm in southern Ukraine for Norwegian company NBT.
‘The main advantage of the team of Integrites is that they know very well the energy and construction sector and always bring a solution. The lawyers are really business-oriented and they are able to go into the details, which makes their consultation very helpful and efficient. They have the communication skills and the ability to protect the client’s position successfully up to the end.’
‘Oleksiy Feliv is an ideas maker for development, strategy, lobbying, negotiation and support in project financing procedures. He can organise great support starting from the beginning of the project up to its successful conclusion.’
‘A very reliable and effective firm that is able to solve challenging issues.’
‘The firm is sincere and honest, keeping close watch on assignments and updates.’
‘Integrites is very strong in supporting energy projects. They know the industry well, as well as the challenges companies face while implementing projects in Ukraine. It was my pleasure to work with them. ’
‘My main contact is Oleksiy Feliv. He is a strong energy expert. He knows the industry very well and that is why we saved much time on finding out how everything works. He is a perfect negotiator and it is a real pleasure to work with him. He is a name to remember to foreign investors coming to Ukraine to implement their business ventures. You will hardly find an expert of the same level.’
PJSC NPC Ukrenergo
AKW Ukrainian Kaolin
- Advising NBT AS on the development and construction of two projects: a 250MW Syvash wind farm (€372m) and three wind farms with a total capacity of 792MW (“Zophia”) and an investment of over €1.1bn.
- Advising EuroCape on the development and construction of two wind farms with a total capacity of 500MW and an investment of around €1bn.
- Advised Scatec Solar on the construction and development of 4 solar power plants with a total capacity of 289.4MW and an investment of more than €260m.
Kinstellar has an impressive roster of domestic and international clients, including Naftogaz of Ukraine, state energy company Ukrenergo, and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). Its work encompasses regulatory reform, privatisation projects, and key projects in both the conventional and renewable energy sectors. The practice is led by newly appointed managing partner Olena Kuchynska, who is 'open, honest, commercial and practices with integrity'.
‘This team impressed me with its professionalism, speedy responses and very good attitude. It is much higher above the average level.’
‘Olena Kuchynska, is very impressive with her knowledge and high standard of team management. She is open and honest, commercial and practices with integrity.’
Naftogaz of Ukraine
State Property Fund of Ukraine (SPFU)
- Advising the Supervisory Board of Naftogaz of Ukraine on legislative regulation of the energy sector, in particular of the oil, natural gas and petroleum products markets in Ukraine, gas TSO unbundling process; corporate law matters, including corporate governance, matters of responsibility, competence, rights and duties of the governing officers of legal entities engaged in the public sector of economy.
- Advising the Supervisory Board of PJSC “National Power Company “Ukrenergo”, the national transmission system operator for energy, on legal aspects in connection with corporate governance matters and other matters concerning the activity of the Supervisory Board and its Committees.
- Acted as Ukrainian legal counsel to SESS Solar, a Ukrainian renewable energy business, in connection with financing of its two project companies West Solar LLC and Snyatinenergoinvest LLC by EBRD.
Redcliffe Partners has one of the broadest energy practices in Kiev. It assists clients with the financing and development of major projects in both the conventional and renewable energy sectors. It work covers equity financing, production sharing agreements, production enhancement contracts, real estate, licensing and regulatory matters. Energy head Dmytro Fedoruk, who focuses on the oil and gas sector, and counsel Svitlana Teush, who leads the renewables and electricity practice, are the names to note. The firm recently advised FMO, Green for Growth Fund and GIEK on the financing of a 54MW solar power plant in Bohuslav.
Dmytro Fedoruk; Svitlana Teush
Green for Growth Fund
- Advised Aspect Holdings and SigmaBleyzer on preparation and negotiation of a production sharing agreement with the Ukrainian Government.
- Advised UGV on entering into first-ever production enhancement contract in Ukraine.
- Advised FMO, Green for Growth Fund (GGF) and GIEK on financing of the construction, maintenance and operation of a 54MWp solar PV plant in Bohuslav, Kyiv region.
'Market-leading firm' Sayenko Kharenko is known for its 'outstanding performance on deals, practical approach, excellent legal skills and deep insight into the market'. The firm is involved in all aspects of Ukraine's energy market, including flagship renewable energy projects. It assisted Wind Farm LLC with a new 800MW wind farm project in the Donetsk region. Nazar Chernyavsky, Igor Lozenko and counsel Maryna Hritsyshyna are the key practitioners.
Nazar Chernyavsky; Maryna Hritsyshyna; Igor Lozenko
‘We consider Sayenko Kharenko to be market-leading firm within the field. Their high position on the market is proved by solid knowledge of the various legal issues and outstanding performance on deals, practical approach combined with excellent legal skills, deep insight into the market. It is a true one-stop shop for international companies doing business in Ukraine, and they are excellent in all areas of practice we worked with them, particularly finance and energy. I appreciate collaboration with the firm for the quality of product they deliver. The team working on our matters has been very professional and extremely helpful in preparing quality documents and negotiating them with counterparties.’
‘I would like to highlight partner Igor Lozenko. His banking and finance background, as well as expertise in renewable energy, have been particularly useful to negotiate the local law security as part of the solar park development project and to resolve issues of implementation for other solar projects in Ukraine. He was very easy to work with, accomplished what we wanted in the time demanded. In addition, the advice we received from him was always to the point and his attention to detail and willingness to go beyond what is expected was superb.’
‘Sayenko Kharenko maintains a distinguished energy practice with excellent experts who display considerable motivation and are committed to the client.’
‘I would like to highlight counsel Maryna Hritsyshyna, who is the leader with undisputed experience in the energy sector and her force of persuasion and negotiation skills are some of her main strengths. She is strong for renewables and all types of regulatory work in the energy sector. She has very good attention to detail and market experience. She has excellent legal knowledge and always makes sure we get the right results in negotiations.’
‘We do appreciate the partnership with Sayenko Kharenko for its strong professional team and attitude to work. A scrupulous analysis of the legal background when providing a legal opinion makes the result founded and solid, which makes a perfect impression.’
‘The practice employs hardcore professionals with relevant experience in the energy field and beyond. The team is focused on the relevant field, tracks the legislative changes, and is reputable and trustworthy. The head of the practice Maryna Hritsyshyna is always deeply involved in preparing results and you know for sure, that what you get is well checked, grounded, assumptions and relative legislation explicitly indicated.’
Nordic Environment Finance Corporation (NEFCO)
Power China Construction Corporation of China
Raiffeisen Bank International
The Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
The State of Ukraine
VR Global Partners L.P.
- Representing the State of Ukraine in an Energy Charter investment arbitration.
- Advising Raiffeisen Bank International and Renaissance Capital on the debut €325m “green bond” issue by a Ukrainian business.
- Advising WIND FARM LLC on the realisation of a wind farm project with a capacity of 800MW.
Acquis Law Firm was founded in 2020 by Maksym Uslystyi, who was formerly the head of energy at Eterna Law, and Mykhailo Lytvyn. The firm focuses purely on the energy sector, with a strong presence in the renewables arena. The firm works for a number of Turkish clients and is currently assisting MET Energy Construction with its bid for tenders from Ukrenergo to install power lines in Eastern Ukraine.
Maksym Uslystyi; Mykhailo Lytvyn
‘Acquis Law Firm’s team is good at responding quickly. They are always online and are ready to support in many different issues. The team always finds the best way to solve the problem.’
‘Our company cooperates with a few law firms. Each of them has its own key managers that come into play when things go the way they should not go. In Acquis, any manager can play this role, which provides us, as clients, unique experience of cooperation with them.’
‘The first main strengths of this team are speed and professionalism. The second is that it is proactive in servicing our activities.’
‘Acquis Law firm is great at providing multiple solutions for the task at hand. They lay easy to understand and easy to apply guidelines for the client’s involvement. They are very patient with questions and always show their expertise within the Ukrainian law and energy sector with their answers.’
‘Acquis Law Firm partner Maksym Uslystyi has great knowledge of the energy sector and provides detailed, clear and accurate information and guidelines. He is always reachable and always open to questions about any and all aspects of the project. His patience for client questions makes him a valuable solution partner in business.’
Ahlatci Holding / AHL Energy
NS Xcel Energy Holding Limited
Emsolt Holding / Emsolt Ukraine investment
MET Group / MET Energy Construction
Hydro Energy Corporation (HEC Group)
Yuzhne Energy LLC
Wind Energy LLC
Energosila / Solar Service Ukraine
- Acting for the seller 4WIND, UAB (a Lithuanian company operating in RES investment and development market) on the sale of 76,5MW Wind Power project in Odesa Region of Ukraine.
- Advising Ahlatci Holding/AHL Energy (one of the biggest Turkish privately owned groups) with respect to its investment to SPP project in Khmelnitsky region of Ukraine.
- Advising MET Group/MET Energy Construction (a major Turkish construction company specialising in renovation/construction of power lines and energy infrastructure) on its successful tender for the construction of power lines in eastern Ukraine.
Arzinger hired counsel Iaroslav Cheker from KPMG Law in Ukraine. The firm has a strong track record advising major private and state-owned energy and mining companies in Ukraine. The scope of its work includes antitrust investigations, corporate transactions, energy trading contracts, power sales and coal exports, as well as contentious matters. Corporate and competition partner Timur Bondaryev co-leads the practice with Cheker.
Timur Bondaryev; Iaroslav Cheker
CNBM International Energy PTE LTD (Singapore)
China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC)
United Mining and Chemical company
ESE Investment AG
- Advised ESE International AG in acquisition of the ready-to-build project of the WPP with capacity over 50MW.
- Supported ASD LEX, LLC in one of the first on the market cases on debt collection from the Ukrainian off-taker (Guaranteed Buyer) of the energy from the RES producers.
- Advised Member of Parliament, independent member of Inter-departmental Commission on PSAs on the possible legal and tax issues concerning the execution of 9 Production Sharing Agreements.
Avellum is particularly prominent in the financing of major energy projects in Ukraine. Practice head and finance partner Glib Bondar is 'a standout star in the Ukrainian market and should be every international lawyer's first port of call'. The firm recently assisted EBRD with the financing of several renewable energy projects. It is also sought after for its in-depth knowledge of the regulatory regime governing both conventional and renewable energy projects.
‘Glib Bondar is a standout star in the Ukrainian market and should be every international lawyer’s first port of call.’
Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Investment Capital Ukraine
- Acted as the Ukrainian legal counsel to DTEK Renewables on a debut €325m, five-year 8.50% green Eurobond offering. This was a first ever green bond issued from Ukraine.
- Acted as Ukrainian legal counsel to EBRD (acting independently or with other Lenders) on financing the development, construction and operation of various renewable energy projects in Ukraine.
- Advised a foreign oil and gas exploration and development company on participation in the tender and signing of a production-sharing agreement in Ukraine. The tender was won by the client and the firm continues to provide legal support in negotiations, ensuring that the final PSA will be consistent with the best industry practices and will satisfy all client’s expectations.
DLA Piper Ukraine Limited Liability Company is known for its proficiency in corporate and finance transactions involving the energy sector, and it is also sought after for advice on regulatory matters. The practice, which is led by Oleksandr Kurdydyk, has been involved in significant renewable energy projects, advising on consortium issues and joint ventures, project finance, contractual matters and renewable energy support schemes. The firm recently assisted government entities with the establishment of an energy efficiency fund. Corporate partner Galyna Zagorodniuk is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Nadrabudinvest (Monstera Group)
U.S. International Development Finance Corporation, DCF
- Acted as transaction counsel to GIZ on the establishment of an energy efficiency trust fund by international donors and IFC (International Finance Corporation) as trustee and the state of Ukraine as co-financier with view to funding Ukrainian banks (Ukrgazbank).
- Advising Nadrabudinvest (Monstera Group) on corporate governance issues, hostile takeover protection measures, delivering a presentation for the board members and shareholders of companies of Monstera Group.
The energy and natural resources practice at EVERLEGAL is '‘very accommodating with both commercial thought and time'. The firm is heavily involved in the development of Ukraine's renewable energy sector and frequently assists UDP Renewables with solar projects; this includes a cluster of solar power plants with a total capacity of 46MW in the Zaporizhzhya region. Yevheniy Deyneko and Andriy Olenyuk jointly lead the practice.
Yevheniy Deyneko; Andriy Olenyuk
‘Very accommodating with both commercial thought and time in general. It provides very good value.’
‘Andriy Olenyuk is a highly experienced professional. I would seldom provide this level of praise, but I think it is warranted in this instance. I look forward to working with him again as the opportunities arise.’
Go To-U Network
- Advised UDP Renewables on development of a cluster of solar power plants in development with a total capacity of 46MW in Zaporizhzhya region.
- Acted as legal counsel to UDP Renewables in connection with the development and construction of a 20MW Terslav solar power plant, which the client has successfully commissioned in the Dnipropetrovsk region of Ukraine on 6 May 2020.
- Advised UDP Renewables on the implementation of the Port-Solar SES project in the Odesa region of Ukraine. The total capacity of the solar power station is 8.6MW.
GOLAW has a prominent role in renewable energy projects in Ukraine, providing comprehensive legal support for project development and corporate transactions in the solar and wind energy sectors. Finance partner Sergiy Oberkovych and corporate partner Max Lebedev, who is now vice chairman of the European-Ukrainian Energy Agency, are the key practitioners. They recently assisted joint Spanish-Turkish company Beycelik-Elawan with long-term lease agreements for private land for the development of a 50MW wind farm.
Sergiy Oberkovych; Max Lebedev
KBPP Management Ltd.
Georgian International Energy Corporation
Beycelik-Elawan Renewable Energy
- Advised Indian Solar on the sale of whole solar power projects portfolio with capacity of 140MW to Sowiwa Group holding.
- Advised Beycelik-Elawan on the development of a 50MW wind farm.
- Advised Georgian International Energy Corporation on the $4m acquisition of shares in the joint venture for solar power plant.
Hillmont Partners LLC has built up its standalone energy practice with the hire of counsel Tetiana Mylenka, who was formerly head of legal at JSC Main Gas Pipelines of Ukraine. Mylenka leads the practice and works closely with the head of dispute resolution Serhii Nyzhnyi on matters relating to both conventional and renewable energy projects. Clients note that the firm is 'truly unique because it combines international legal expertise with domestic Ukrainian connections and understanding'.
Tetiana Mylenka; Serhii Nyzhnyi
‘The team is particularly competent and very knowledgeable. Work is performed in various levels from junior lawyers, reviewed by more senior counsels whilst partners are always hand on and actively involved. The focuses only on business areas and this makes them highly specialised and unique. We recommended clients to Hillmont and they were extremely satisfied with the handling of the lawyers involved. the team is capable of handling any type of transaction. They have the necessary characteristics to find solutions for any problem, no matter how substantial. ’
‘The firm has exceptional lawyers who are very knowledgeable, ethical, have significant expertise and can overcome any issue which may arise in the context of any transaction. They are also very flexible and above all, responsive. It is the kind of lawyers that each client feels in very safe hands.’
‘Hillmont is truly unique because it combines international legal expertise with domestic Ukrainian connections and understanding. They have a focus on international investors to the Ukraine that is unlike any other law firm. They are the go-to law firm for investors looking to invest in Ukraine, especially in the energy sector. ’
‘Tetiana Mylenka is a star. As the head of the energy practice, she brings insider knowledge of Ukrainian energy issues after serving as the head of Ukraine’s largest state-owned gas company. ’
‘We are very happy that our lawyers’ advice is always in line with the energy sector regulations. Their experience of working with energy companies and dealing with legal risk management in the sector has played a great role in our decision-making regarding cooperation.’
‘Serhii Nyzhnyi is a skilful litigator and an effective project manager. He is a bright communicator and well-educated lawyer in dealing with the challenges of the energy businesses in Ukraine.’
“Gas of Ukraine” Affiliated Company of the National Joint Stock Company “Naftogas of Ukraine”
“Nuclear Energy Systems Ukraine” Limited Liability Company
Zasyadko Coal Mine (Public Joint Stock Company “Shakhta imeni O. F. Zasyadka”)
Main Gas Pipelines of Ukraine (Mahistralni Gazoprovody Ukrainy, JSC)
- Representing NPC Ukrenergo, the national grid operator, in a $10m dispute with the Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry regarding the latter’s inaction in approving individual documents for financing the construction of the individual energy infrastructure facilities as part of the implementation of the Energy Strategy of Ukraine.
- Representing “Gas of Ukraine”, an affiliated company of the National Joint-Stock Company “Naftogaz of Ukraine”, the state oil and gas company, in a $1m dispute with the Kharkiv Region local authorities.
- Protecting the rights of «Nuclear Energy Systems Ukraine» (NESU) Limited Liability Company as the private license holder to explore uranium deposits in Ukraine in a number of disputes with the state authorities regarding its special permit to explore such deposits.
Ilyashev & Partners has an expanding portfolio of work from leading Ukrainian and international companies in relation to energy and infrastructure projects, as well as regulatory matters and disputes. Mikhail Ilyashev, who leads the ten-lawyer team, has 'an unquestionable knowledge of the local energy market and is very visible in this sphere'. Roman Marchenko handles energy disputes. Associate Iryna Demchenko is praised for her 'professionalism, experience and creativity'.
Other key lawyers:
Roman Marchenko; Iryna Demchenko
‘I would like to highlight that the team is always focused on results. Every member of the team is unique with his own range of ideas and great experience.’
‘I worked with Iryna Demchenko, Attorney at Law, and I’d like to mention her creative problem solving, her experience in dispute resolution and her ability to be client-focused.’
‘I enjoyed working with Iryna Demchenko. I find her to be an excellent expert in energy law as well as in commercial law as a whole. ’
‘They are professionals, responsible, experienced and always focused on the result.’
‘I worked with Iryna Demchenko, and I would like to note that she is a high-level lawyer, an expert in establishing a dialogue with clients, very responsible, reliable, has extensive experience in various fields of law. She has many years of experience in legal consulting in energy sector regarding oil and gas production, construction of production infrastructure, drilling and workover of wells.’
‘We have been working with Iryna Demchenko and are impressed by her legal knowledge and extremely efficient approach. ’
‘Irina Demchenko is a star of their energy team. Her work ethics, efficiency and client management skills match the ones of the top associates in leading international law firms.’
‘The team is unique because of its exceptional knowledge of the energy sector in Ukraine. They propose forward-looking solutions, respond quickly and professionally. ’
Belomorskaya Neftebaza (White Sea Oil Depot, Russia)
LetterOne Group (L1 Energy)
Ukrainian Renewable Energy Association
Vitino Oil Port (Russia)
JKX Oil & Gas
Poltava Petroleum Company
Elme Messer Gaas AS
Petraco Oil Company SA
- Advising JV Poltava Petroleum Company on obtaining licenses for the production, storage, trade, import and export of various types of fuel.
- Representing JKX Oil & Gas Plc in the process of recognition and enforcement of an investment arbitration award for the reimbursement by the State of Ukraine of appx. $12.2m to JKX Oil & Gas Plc as damages incurred as a result of the increase by Ukraine of the rental fee rate for oil and gas production.
- Representing the interests of the state enterprise Ukrinterenergo in a dispute related to the supply of electric energy generated in the Russian Federation to the territory of Luhansk and Donetsk Regions in 2014-2015.
Vasil Kisil & Partners provides a wide range of services to clients in the energy sector, including advice on privatisation, financing, investment protection, environmental compliance and dispute resolution. The firm also handles M&A, antitrust issues and regulatory matters. It recently assisted UAE-based ODASCO with the acquisition of a 4.9MW solar project. Alexander Borodkin leads the renewables practice group, while Oleg Alyoshin is head of oil and gas.
Alexander Borodkin; Oleg Alyoshin
Odeh Asalem Automation System ODASCO
Energy Standard Group
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Socar Energy Ukraine
- Advice to European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) on validity and enforceability of security package under the project finance loan to Ukrainian energy generating company for construction, equipment and placing into operation of a biomass-fired thermal power plant with a total capacity of 18MW in Kyiv Region.
- Advising a UAE-based leading company in innovative automation and electrical services on acquisition of Ukrainian SPV involved in a 4.9MW solar project to be implemented in Cherkasy region.
- Assisting Cindrigo (UK) with drafting a set of agreements for waste handling, electrical grid connection, heating networks connection, power purchase agreement (PPA), electricity and heat energy supply agreements and rendering associate legal advice with a view to attracting financing for the construction of a waste-to-energy conversion plant.
EnGarde Attorneys at Law
At EnGarde Attorneys at Law, the energy and natural resources practice works with clients in the mining, oil and gas, forestry, water, and power industries. The firm generates mandates from energy producers, transporters and consumers, who seek its advice on property matters relating to natural resources, the debt and equity financing of resource companies, smelting and refining operations, corporate transactions, compliance issues, and complex litigation and arbitration. Andriy Vyshnevsky is the lead partner.
Shearman & Sterling
- Advised the State of Ukraine on state regulation of the Ukrainian electricity market in historical perspective within the framework of the firm’s work on the ICSID arbitration initiated by Emergofin B.V. and Velbay Holdings Ltd. under the Ukraine-Netherlands bilateral investment treaty.
Eterna Law's track record includes the development of the new energy markets following the privatisation of state energy monopolies. Its work in the Ukrainian oil, gas, power, mining and water sectors includes permits, concessions, procurement and environmental matters. 'Practical, quick and effective' corporate partner Oleh Malskyy leads the practice, with Maksym Uslystyi having left to launch Acquis Law Firm. Malskyy works for domestic, CIS-based and multinational companies in the energy and natural resources sector as part of his broad practice.
‘The firm provides very good communication and I have a very good opinion of partner Oleh Malskyy. He is practical, quick and effective.’
Gamma Solar Holding
- Advising Modus Energy on the acquisition of a 35MW project in the Zhytomyr region of Ukraine and 12MW in the Ivano-Frankivsk region. The project included due diligence procedures, transaction support, post-closure support, as well as full support of the construction and commissioning process.
- Advised Yuzhne Energy, the Ukrainian subsidiary of a Lithuanian company, on its investment in renewable energy systems and the development process of 72MW wind power plant project in the Odesa Region of southwestern Ukraine.
- Advised Gamma Solar Holding on an investment into the development of a solar power station project in the Vinnytsia Region of Ukraine. Gamma Solar Holding is a European solar energy projects operator and investor, which invests in projects of renewable energy in Europe (including Greece, Italy, and Spain) and Africa.
EY Law has raised its profile in the energy sector with a string of production sharing agreements in the upstream oil and gas sector, including key deals for DTEK Oil & Gas and Aspect Energy. In 2020, the firm advised state-owned oil and gas company Naftogaz of Ukraine on the successful unbundling and independence of the operator of the gas transportation system. Borys Lobovyk and Albert Sych are the key partners.
Borys Lobovyk; Albert Sych
Naftogaz of Ukraine
Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine
- Assisted Naftogaz of Ukraine (the state-owned oil and gas monopoly in Ukraine) with the successful unbundling and independence of the operator of the gas transportation system of Ukraine.
- Advising Aspect Energy, a US based upstream company, on a production sharing agreement with a minimum investment of $36m as per tender conditions.
- Advising DTEK Oil & Gas on production sharing agreement with a minimum investment of $18m as per tender conditions.
INPRAXI LAW provides a broad range of legal services to clients in the renewable energy sector, which ranges from advice on the development of new projects and M&A to regulatory matters and land rights. The practice is led by Oleksandr Slipko, who frequently handles foreign investments in the alternative energy sector, and is also knowledgeable about project structuring and development, health and safety, environmental matters and energy disputes.
“SUNWIN 18” LLC
“RENGY ISMAIL” LLC
“RENGY BIOENERGO” LLC
“RENGY TATARBUNARY” LLC
“SUNWIN 13” LLC
“INGUL SOLAR” LLC
“GREEN ELEKTRA1” LLC
“SUNSTAR ENERGY” LLC
- Advised Rengy Development on two simultaneous court proceedings with the State Architectural and Construction Inspectorate of Ukraine and has proved the legality of the construction of new solar power plants by the company.
- Advice to Sunwin 18 LLC on the construction of solar power plants.
- Provides representation to state enterprise Cherkasytorf in a court dispute related to obligation to repatriate assets.
Jeantet has in-depth knowledge of FIDIC-based construction contracts in Ukraine and is frequently called upon to advise foreign investors on both onshore and offshore renewable energy projects. Bertrand Barrier's practice includes the drafting and implementation of engineering, procurement, construction contracts, and the acquisition of energy production assets. He recently assisted Smart Energies with the contractual and corporate structuring of several solar plant projects.
Tryba / Ekotechnik
Ukraine Power Resources
- Legal assistance to Smart Energies in contractual and corporate structuring of several PV plant projects in Ukraine. The scope of advice includes review and adaption to the Ukrainian law of a FIDIC-based EPC contract, as well as review and modifications to draft O&M agreement.
- Legal assistance to Solstice in contractual, corporate and tax structuring of PV plant projects in Ukraine. The scope of advice includes review and adaption to the Ukrainian law of a FIDIC-based EPC contract, as well as review and modifications to draft O&M agreement.
- Advising Enserv, a multi-discipline company from Thailand on a potential acquisition of several PV projects in different locations in Ukraine with the overall planned capacity of 200MW.
KPMG Law in Ukraine
KPMG Law in Ukraine predominantly handles corporate transactions in the energy sector, but it also has considerable strength in regulatory and tax matters. The firm frequently assists international oil and gas companies with their Ukrainian operations, as well as advising developers of renewable energy projects. Practice head Yuriy Katser handles M&A, land law and dispute resolution. Tax partner Sergey Popov is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Ministry of Justice
- Assisted the European Commission with post-acquisition due diligence of gas transmission system operator of Ukraine LLC within the framework of the unbundling of the gas transmission activities in Ukraine. The project was funded by European Union.
- Provided legal expert opinion for the Arbitration Institute of Stockholm Chamber of Commerce in order to prepare an expert report on matters of Ukrainian corporate law related to the alleged breach of Energy Charter obligations and the recovery of damages of circa $5.5bn.
- Providing comprehensive legal support to an investor in the renewables sector.
LCF Law Group has been involved in major projects for large exploration and production, refining, renewable energy and waste recycling companies. Focusing on project development and environmental law, the firm brings together experts in M&A, construction, litigation, tax and energy law. Counsel Ivan Bondarchuk is the head of energy and natural resources, having previously led the energy practice at Evris before the firms merged in 2020.
Scatec Solar Solutions Ukraine LLC
Ukrainian Association of Renewable Energy
Tokmak Solar Energy LLC
Real Finance s.r.o.
Right Power s.r.o.
CHYSTA ENERHIIA-2011 LLC
Greenteco SES LLC
PIVI Progresivka-Alpha LLC
PIVI Progresivka-Beta LLC
PIVI Progresivka-Gamma LLC
De Novo LLC
- Advised Ukrainian Associations of Renewable Energy (UARE) on the legal aspects of the mediation with Ukrainian Government related to the proposed changes of renewable energy support schemes.
- Advised Scatec Solar Solutions Ukraine LLC on construction and operation matters for solar energy projects with over 300MW of installed capacity.
- Advised Bohusalvenergy LLC on the construction, licensing and commissioning of the solar power plant with over 50MW of installed capacity.
Sokolovskyi and Partners Law Firm
Sokolovskyi and Partners Law Firm is noted for its 'professionalism, responsibility and deep knowledge of specific features in the energy industry'. The firm focuses on power and renewable energy projects. It is involved in the construction of solar, wind and hydroelectric power plants, which includes advice on land rights and energy service contracts. Practice head Vladyslav Sokolovskyi has 25 years of experience in the electricity sector and is on the board of the Association of Solar Energy of Ukraine.
‘Sokolovskyi and Partners supported our projects of solar plant construction last year and the law firm met our needs. What matters to me is that they provide not only high- quality legal assistance but are good in the energy sector.’
‘Legal support of our projects was headed by Vladyslav Sokolovskyi, managing partner. I can note that he is both a reliable and professional partner.’
‘We have been cooperating with Sokolovskyi and Partners for many years, the law firm was chosen as a permanent legal advisor for its professionalism, responsibility and deep knowledge of specific features in the energy industry. ’
‘We contact Vladyslav Sokolvskyi regarding project-related issues. I can recommend him as one of the most qualified lawyers with a creative approach in the energy sector.’
Solar Energy Association of Ukraine
Public organization «Scientific and technical center «Bioenergy»
- Full legal support to Solar K for the construction of solar power plant, signing of a PPA agreement and putting 2MW solar power plant into operation.
- Full legal support to Schidenergoprylad for the construction of a substation with the capacity of 35/10 kW for a 50MW solar power plant.