Asters has one of the largest employment practices in the market, and it generates a significant amount of work from domestic and international companies. It advises clients on complex personnel reorganisations arising from M&A transactions, as well as contentious, contractual, regulatory, and health and safety matters. It also handles corporate immigration issues for senior employees. Vadym Samoilenko and the 'practical, creative and reliable' counsel Inesa Letych jointly lead the practice.
Employment in Ukraine
Vadym Samoilenko; Inesa Letych
‘They have precise expertise in employment law, good knowledge of the client’s business and a well-positioned employment team. ’
‘Inesa Letych provides precise advice with a solid risk-based approach to the solutions.’
‘Our company is Asters’ long-time client. My overall impression of the firm is very positive. Generally, I have never had any problems during my cooperation with the Asters team. I really appreciate their analytical approach and the depth of their theoretical and practical knowledge.’
‘Within the employment matters, we have cooperated with Inesa Letych. Inesa has very strong knowledge of employment law issues and is well informed about all the latest trends in this sphere. Her approach is practical, she is creative, reliable and delivers beyond expectations.’
‘I cooperate with Inesa Letych and have only positive feedback and impressions. She always has a cooperative approach and advises on how things would be better for my company. She is available and ready to have a meeting in case of an urgent issue.’
Molson Coors Ukraine
- Advising Molson Coors Ukraine on a wide spectrum of labour and employment, occupational safety, data protection matters related to day to day business of the company and ensuring its employment law compliance.
- Advising former Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Ukraine to several countries on employment and pension law matters related to development of personal pension plan for the client, including representation in a litigation against the State Pension Fund of Ukraine.
- Supported a private individual, a former top-manager of several local subsidiaries of international businesses, with employment and pension law matters related to development of personal pension plan for the client. The project included litigation against a state pension fund.
At Avellum, Mykola Stetsenko leads a four-lawyer employment team that advises clients on hiring, employment policies, the cross-border transfer of personnel, mass redundancies and employment disputes. It works predominantly for international companies doing business in Ukraine; notable highlights included acting for Atlantic Group on the post-closing replacement of management of their Ukrainian subsidiaries. In addition, the firm advised ABB Asea Brown Boveri on employee transfers and out-staffing arrangements as part of the global reorganisation of ABB group. Litigator and private client partner Vadim Medvedev also plays a central role in the practice.
Other key lawyers:
ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd
Drylock Technologies N.V.
- Advised Atlantic Group on the post-closing replacement of management of their Ukrainian subsidiaries.
- Supporting the development of ClinTec International’s Ukrainian subsidiary since its establishment and providing complex employment support to the local management, as well as to 18 employees.
- Advised ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd on employment matters in connection with the global reorganisation of ABB group and spin-off of some of their operations to Hitachi. Assisted with the transfer of employees, complete special out-staffing arrangements, and conclusion of new employment contracts.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office has 'highly professional staff rendering high-quality legal services with great attention to detail'. Lina Nemchenko leads the employment and migration practice, which includes counsel Mariana Marchuk, who 'goes the extra mile for clients and is helping to reform employment law in Ukraine'. Associate Anna Stepanowa is also recommended. They provide 'real practical advice and excellent client service'. Marchuk's work on the new Labour Code is crucial to the development of the local market. The group is also adept at compliance audits, trade union negotiations, disputes and various other employment matters.
Other key lawyers:
Mariana Marchuk; Anna Stepanowa
‘Deep understanding of the local market and the blurred employment rules still based on Soviet Union labour laws. Real practical advice and excellent customer service.’
‘Mariana Marchuk is brilliant in Ukrainian employment law. Always active and visible at AmCham meetings, going the extra mile for clients and helping to reform employment law in Ukraine.’
‘Highly professional staff rendering high-quality legal services timely and with great attention to detail. Mariana Marchuk and Lina Nemchenko stand out.’
‘A very deep and comprehensive approach to all the issues, timely responses and the ability to act as an adviser in all matters.’
CMS' team in Kiev is part of a large CEE employment law network. Its six dedicated employment lawyers handle a broad scope of recruitment and termination matters, reorganisations and redundancies, employee transfers, trade union negotiations and immigration issues, among other areas. The firm primarily acts for international companies with local interests. The practice, which is jointly led by Olga Belyakova and Maria Orlyk, recently advised Spanish renewable energy company Acciona Energia on the restructuring of its senior management structure and outsourcing arrangements. Senior associate Nataliya Nakonechna is also involved in the firm's flagship matters. Olexander Martinenko moved to Kinstellar.
Olga Belyakova; Maria Orlyk
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Scatec Solar, an integrated independent solar power producer, on various employment and IP law matters concerning planned M&A deals and employee transfers; assistance with handling a problematic dismissal case; and assistance with reviewing and negotiating an out-staffing plan.
- Advised Acciona Energia, a strategic Spanish investor in the Ukrainian renewables sector, on various employment law matters, including restructuring the upper-management structure and implementing it, outsourcing contracts, intra-group company transfers and immigration law matters.
- Advising Expert Petroleum on various labour law issues relating to employee transfer necessary for implementation of the big outsourcing project with Ukrainian gas and oil company.
Dentons' team in Kiev works as part of a global practice that handles employment, immigration and benefits matters for international clients. It acts for industry-leading names in areas such as energy, financial services and pharmaceuticals. Practice head Volodymyr Monastyrskyy has more than 20 years of experience advising Ukrainian and foreign companies on employment and social security law. His work encompasses individual and collective terminations, remuneration policies, incentives and pensions, and complex domestic and cross-border restructurings. Counsel Anna Tkachenko is also recommended for employment and corporate matters.
Other key lawyers:
- Provided a US-based multinational investment bank with legal advice on employment law issues and assisted with drafting and reviewing employment agreement.
- Representing a client in a Ukrainian court case involving three former employees who were claiming unfair dismissal in connection with the liquidation of the Ukrainian company.
- Provided legal support to a client in connection with the implications of Covid-19 quarantine on the work process of client’s employees
Kinstellar handles employment matters for some of Ukraine's largest companies, with Naftogaz being one of the notable names. It frequently advises state-owned enterprises on contractual arrangements, succession issues, remuneration and dismissals of top-management. In addition, it assists domestic and international corporates with internal HR policies, data protection and employment disputes. Iryna Nikolayevska leads the practice. Experienced senior associate Viktoriia Dobrynska joined from Arzinger. The firm's acquisition of DLA Piper's Ukraine office in June 2021 saw the arrivals of Margarita Karpenko, who focuses on employment and benefits matters, and associate Maksym Tesliar, who handles labour law and immigration issues.
Other key lawyers:
Viktoriia Dobrynska; Maksym Tesliar
Naftogaz of Ukraine
State Property Fund of Ukraine (SPFU)
UNIC (Ukrainian Network of Integrity and Compliance)
- Advising QTerminals on various employment law matters related to transition of business operations from State Enterprise Olvia Sea Port to QTerminals LLC in the course of concession.
- Retained to advise State Property Fund of Ukraine on the privatisation of 99.5667% of the authorized capital of PJSC Odessa Port Plant, one of the largest enterprises of chemical industry of Ukraine, which included complex employment, labour law and health and safety matters.
- Advising the Supervisory Board of the National Joint-Stock Company “Naftogaz of Ukraine” and its committees since February 2017. The scope of work includes advising the client on a broad range of matters pertaining to the legislative regulation of the energy sector, corporate law/corporate governance matters, labour and employment law matters.
Sayenko Kharenko is praised for its ‘high level of proficiency, strong client orientation and focus on solutions'. The firm has one of the largest teams in Kiev and it is strong in all areas of employment law, with work ranging from compliance projects to litigation. It recently assisted Andersen Globl with a multijurisdictional survey on the laws concerning employment support policies in connection with the Covid-19 outbreak. Svitlana Kheda and newly promoted counsel Iryna Bakina jointly lead the practice. Senior associates Olga Kyriusha and Kuzma Pozychaniuk are also highly recommended.
Iryna Bakina; Svitlana Kheda
Other key lawyers:
Olga Kyriusha; Kuzma Pozychaniuk
‘A high level of proficiency, strong client orientation, a focus on solutions.’
‘I worked with Svitlana Kheda on a complex and confidential project related to labour law. Svitlana has had a proactive approach while resolving our topic, she is very solution-oriented, she anticipated the risks and provided us with the full legal support. Svitlana was super-fast which was impressive.’
‘The firm is unique because it is a high-quality law firm in a tough market where quality is inconsistent. The consistency of quality across the board is excellent.’
‘Svitlana Kheda is highly personable and a pleasure to work with. She is highly practical and knowledgeable and provides a great insight into local custom and practice.’
‘The team is always available and responsive.’
Engelhart Commodities (former BTG Pactual)
Vasil Kisil & Partners provides 'tailor-made pieces of legal advice' under the leadership of partner Oksana Voynarovska, with support from counsel Valeriya Savchuk. They are both members of the working group that is finalising the new Draft Labour Code for its second reading. The firm advises large domestic and international clients on the drafting of employment contracts for senior management, dismissals, collective bargaining agreements and labour disputes. Clients include global leaders operating in sectors such as consumer goods, food and beverage, and technology. Senior associate Oleksandr Melnyk is another key individual.
Other key lawyers:
Valeriya Savchuk; Oleksandr Melnyk
‘We have been working with Vasil Kisil & Partners on many matters since 2016. Oksana Voynarovska and Valeriya Savchuk have provided us with tailor-made pieces of legal advice during all years of our cooperation. In particular, they have advised us on a wide range of matters in labour and employment, tax and property law.’
ADER HABER is 'a highly professional, customer-oriented firm with deep knowledge of the Ukrainian legal system'. Practice head Tetyana Ivanovych 'always stands out among competitors due to her great client relationship skills, deep experience and ability to give focused and balanced advice'. Since launching the practice in 2015, the firm has built a strong reputation in risk assessment, transfers and dismissals, international mobility, collective bargaining, contractual matters, labour disputes and disciplinary proceedings.
‘They show attentiveness to details, strong language skills and quick responses to demands.’
‘ADER HABER law firm has been providing us a service of the highest level for more than four years and we have been completely satisfied with the expertise delivered by the practice across a range of day-to-day matters. ADER HABER lawyers are very versatile specialists in the field of labour and employment law and at the same time, they have in-depth expertise and can provide answers to unique questions.’
‘We appreciate the ability of ADER HABER lawyers to deliver timely advice, still with the high levels of accuracy and comprehensiveness. Likewise, we consider the practice to be unique, since its experts provide the full range of services, from advisory to representation in courts of all instances, that allows them to offer recommendations with a view that the chosen position could be easily defended in court. There’s no other law firm on the market as ADER HABER that addresses all kinds of our legal needs for a reasonable pricing.’
‘In the framework of consulting on labour and employment issues, we work with Tetyana Ivanovych. Tetyana is recognised among leading lawyers and enjoys an excellent reputation for her services advising clients on all forms of complex matters in labor and employment. Tetyana Ivanovych always stands out among competitors due to her great client relationship skills, deep experience of more than 10 years and ability to give focused and balanced advice. Tetyana has a whole team of professionals who operate under her diligent leadership. Their services are always timely and high-quality, that is why we always seek their assistance. ’
‘They are passionate, hands-on and keen. The team is very experienced and have substantial knowledge of the practice. Very diverse, very strong and with good connections on an international level with a good understanding of international corporate clients The most significant strength is their experience in employment matters.’
‘Tetyana Ivanovych is an excellent employment lawyer, very responsive, pragmatic and solution-oriented’
‘A highly professional, customer-oriented firm with deep knowledge of the Ukrainian legal system and solid experience of solving complex problems. The team’s representation of major clients and involvement in successful projects confirms its good reputation in the market. They have strong knowledge of labour and related legislation, including procedural legislation. Other strengths include their creativity in complicated cases, independence, quick responses, and many years of practical experience.’
‘Tetyana Ivanovych has an immense amount of expertise and excellent knowledge of local employment practices. She also has a wide network of contacts, and clients value her willingness to help in the most unusual situations.’
Nestle Ukraine LLC
Local subsidiaries of INDITEX GROUP
- Advised Nestle Ukraine LLC, a Ukrainian subsidiary of Nestle S.A., on the introduction of the option of working from home for the company’s employees during the quarantine period, established due to Covid-19 on the 13th of March (on-going).
- Represented interests of Technokom Ltd., a Ukrainian subsidiary of Nestle S.A., the large transnational food and drink company, in a dispute with a trade union on collective bargaining.
- Advised Chanel LLC, a Ukrainian subsidiary of Chanel S.A., on obtaining work permits for 32 posted foreign workers.
Ante Law Firm
Ante Law Firm has a highly capable employment law practice that excels in both advisory work and litigation. Although the firm is particularly well known for its work in the aviation sector, it also handles complex labour matters for clients in the pharmaceuticals and healthcare industries. The team assists clients with immigration issues and is adept in obtaining work permits and residence permits. Andriy Guck is the lead partner.
Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine LLC
Perrigo Ukraine LLC
Servier Ukraine LLC
Qatar Airways Group
Air France – KLM
British Airways PLC
Mr. Zurab Alasania, the Head of the National Public Broadcasting Company of Ukraine
Beko Ukraine LLC
- Advised Ernest S.p.A. on the dismissal of all employees of the Ukrainian representative office due to closure of local office.
- Won an unfair dismissal case on behalf of the Head of Supervisory Board of the Ukrainian National Public Broadcasting Company
- Assistance to Qatar Airways headquarters HR team with regard to Ukrainian labor law issues.
At Arzinger, 'the team is very responsive and proactive, and the advice is streamlined, accurate and very good quality'. The firm handles large M&A transactions that involve complex employment issues, including the termination of senior executives and contentious matters. Counsel Alesya Pavlynska, who leads the practice, 'communicates efficiently and is very knowledgeable'. Senior associate Nataliia Anokhina is also recommended. Pavlo Khodakovsky left to become Deputy Minister of the Finance of Ukraine.
Other key lawyers:
‘It is a big pleasure to work with the Arzinger team in Lviv. Its lawyers are professionals and at the same time kind people who can explain everything in understandable words in the best way. I always feel big support in helping us to resolve problems. I see a high level of services for customers such as us, because team members know the Ukrainian legislation very well and give the best solutions for business and also are able to make it understandable for foreign people, what sometimes is not easy.’
‘I am lucky to work with such young and intelligent people and get nice results from our collaboration. This is a very strong team of professionals!’
‘I work with Nataliia Anokhina. I like the style of her work: – always attentive and kind – she understands more than I express by words, quick ability to understand – ability to propose the best solutions to resolve problems – feeling of support and protection – hard-working person, she knows what to do – belief in achieving results.
‘The team is very responsive and proactive. They were able to provide required responses within a very short period of time. The advice they give is streamlined, accurate and very good quality.’
‘Alesya Pavlynska provides an excellent service. She communicates efficiently, is available and very knowledgeable. She is a pleasure to work with.’
Austria Juice GmbH
STADA Arzneimittel AG
Porsche (Porsche Holding)
BNP Paribas (Ukrsibbank)
Caparol (DAW SE)
Team Extension SA
LR Global Holding
GK SOFTWARE (Eurosoftware)
Von der Heyden Group
UCABevent (Ukrainian Agribusiness Club) (pro bono)
- Advised STADA Arzneimittel AG during the course of the acquisition of a non-plasma pharmaceutical business from Biopharma. This acquisition has become the largest transaction in the history of the Ukrainian pharmaceutical business. The firm participated in a complex due diligence of two companies of non-plasma business of Biopharma Group (legal, HR, compliance, and environmental aspects) preparing transaction documents (starting with the term sheet), taking into account the specifics of the transaction structure (the deal was structured through carve-out of the part of non-plasma assets that are subject to the acquisition by the client), representing the client in negotiations with the sellers.
- The firm rendered counselling to Danone Dnipro (Ukrainian subsidiary of the international food producer Danone) on the layoff of mid-level managers of the company’s regional office and managed the corresponding paperwork, also in terms of ensuring that the deviation from the set timelines due to employee’s sick leave maintains compliance with the labour regulations.
- Providing comprehensive counsel to Indigo AG, Inc. in the course of entering the Ukrainian market. The circumstances of the client and its business in question require expertise and solutions to be drawn from the variety of teams’ competence and experience.
EVERLEGAL has a 'dynamic and up-to-date' employment practice. It has three partners - Yevheniy Deyneko, Andriy Olenyuk and Oleksandr Ruzhytskyi - who frequently work alongside international law firms to handle matters such as the employment of foreigners in Ukraine, immigration issues, labour disputes and the departure of high-level executives. Recent work included assisting major global brands with contractual matters, benefits and remuneration, and regulatory issues.
Yevheniy Deyneko; Andriy Olenyuk; Oleksandr Ruzhytskyi
‘One of the key things about Everlegal is how young the team are, which makes them dynamic and up-to-date. ’
‘Yevheniy Deyneko. Despite being a founding partner he has always made the time to personally overseas affairs for me.’
Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine
- Advising Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine on incorporation of an operational company in Ukraine for carrying on its rail cars leasing business in Ukraine in partnership with the EBRD. Advising Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine, as a borrower, on attracting financing from the EBRD in the amount of $35m.
- Advising Main Group Ukraine on various employment matters, including appointment of and separation with top management in a number of group companies.
- Advising UDP Renewables on matters related to separation with top management of its operational group companies and appointment of the new directors, as well as advising on the optimal labour organisation.
EY Law's Kiev office has seen an increase in work under the leadership of Olga Gorbanovskaya and Halyna Khomenko. It advises clients on a wide range of issues, including labour, immigration, currency control, employee benefits, immigration, disputes and tax matters. Working with the firm's extensive global network, it is frequently involved in matters arising from large cross-border business reorganisations and M&A.
Olga Gorbanovskaya; Halyna Khomenko
Attorneys’ Association Gestors
The main practitioners at Attorneys’ Association Gestors are Andriy Tsvyetkov, Evgen Zarudnyev and associate Oksana Zakharchenko. The firm is best known for its work in complex labour disputes, but it also advises clients on employment contracts, benefits and incentives, collective bargaining, redundancies and reorganisations. According to one of its clients, 'the firm gave us the 'boots on the ground' knowledge and a perspective on what was possible under Ukrainian employment law'.
Andriy Tsvyetkov; Evgen Zarudnyev; Oksana Zakharchenko
‘The team understand our business and provide support needed. ’
‘I work with Oskana Zakharchenko and Andriy Tsvyetkov, and I find them to be helpful.’
‘We had no idea how employment law worked in Ukraine. This firm gave us the ‘boots on the ground’ knowledge and a perspective on what was possible under Ukrainian employment law.’
‘The team is very responsive and courteous.’
‘The firm is very responsive and very knowledgeable.’
‘Andrey Tsvyetkov is a very responsive and knowledgeable lawyer who helped us as an international company to understand Ukrainian employment laws better.’
McDonald’s Ukraine Ltd
ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
OSPRO MB (Czech Republic)
Reed Business Information Inc.
- Provision of legal advice to McDonald’s Ukraine Ltd in the field of Ukrainian labour law. Representation of the client’s interests in court in a labour law case.
- Legal advice to UK body ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) on the separate issues of the labour law of Ukraine and the UK. In particular, provision of legal advice and drafting/negotiating a settlement agreement and other supplementary documents during dismissal of several employees of Representative Office of ACCA in Ukraine; legal advice regarding procedure of staff reduction under provisions of current Ukrainian labour law; drafting of all necessary supplementary documentation upon the client’s request (applications, orders, notifications).
- Assisted PJSC “Donetskoblgaz” with drafting and approval of fixed-term contracts. Provision of legal advice in the field of labour law, relating to the grounds for reprimands and dismissal of the heads of separate units of PJSC “Donetskoblgaz”.
GOLAW focuses predominantly on disputes related to the dismissal or transfer of employees, as well as cases concerning reinstatement, the payment of salaries and compensation, and matters involving the material responsibility of employees. Dispute resolution head Kateryna Manoylenko and counsel Kateryna Tsvetkova jointly lead the employment practice and they are noted for their representation of high-profile individuals, large foreign and Ukrainian banks, and global brands in the pharmaceuticals and apparel sectors.
Kateryna Manoylenko; Kateryna Tsvetkova
Officials of Bogomolets National Medical University
- Representation of the interests of the ex-rector of Bogomolets National Medical University in several court disputes regarding illegal dismissal.
- Representation of the interests of the judges in several lawsuits to appeal decisions of the High qualification commission of judges in Ukraine.
- Protection of interests the Bogomolets National Medical University’s employees against illegal dismissal. The series of lawsuits are considered by the court of first instance.
Ilyashev & Partners continues to handle some of the largest employment cases in Ukraine, often acting for local subsidiaries of large international companies. Much of its work is centred on high-stakes litigation, although the firm also advises on contractual matters, outsourcing, employee transfers and relocation, and regulatory compliance. Founding partner Mikhail Ilyashev leads the employment practice, in which counsel Leonid Gilevich and Valeriia Gudiy devote a large proportion of their time.
Other key lawyers:
Leonid Gilevich; Valeriia Gudiy
Al Ghurair Investment
SE Antonov and various companies in the Antonov Group,
Coca-Cola Beverages Ukraine
ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih
Standard Club UK
Yael Software and Systems
- Representation SE Antonov in a range of labour disputes against the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine regarding dismissal and further confirmation of powers of the President of SE Antonov.
- Advising Coca-Cola Beverages Ukraine on working with labour unions.
- Representing ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih in a large-scale collective labour dispute.
The employment practice at Integrites has ‘perfect knowledge of practical issues and is always easy accessible'. Clients note the firm's 'responsiveness, engagement and willingness to contribute on practical matters that some other firms might consider out of scope'. The 'very pragmatic and friendly' Illya Tkachuk and German-qualified partner Julian Ries are the names to note. Their work spans recruitment and dismissals, social security matters, trade union negotiations, disputes and the employment of foreign nationals.
Illya Tkachuk; Julian Ries
‘I relied quite heavily on Integrites local expertise when we went through a process to incorporate a legal entity in Ukraine as part of our corporate expansion. Their support is ongoing and has been vital in us being able to efficiently establish our presence in the country. In particular, I would credit them for responsiveness, their engagement in the project and their willingness to contribute on practical matters that some other firms might consider out of scope.’
‘Illya Tkachuk has a good level of expertise in the corporate law, is easy to communicate with and provides fast reaction to requests.’
‘Perfect knowledge of practical issues, always easy accessible’
‘Flexibility, personal approach, knowledge of the client’s history.’
‘Great reactivity. Illya Tkachuk always strives to anticipate business needs beyond legal requests sent to him. He is a great partner.’
‘Illya Tkachuk is very pragmatic, friendly and strives to put himself in the shoes of his client.’
MAI CEE Insurance Brokers
- Advising wind farm developer NBT AS on employment law matters in the course of development of 750MW Zophia wind farm involving around €1bn of investment. Successful implementation of the project is strategically important for Ukraine because it will help to achieve national energy security goals and have a positive impact on the economy of the country.
- Assisted Leroy Merlin, which is one of the world’s leading home improvement and gardening equipment retailers, with various employment-related issues in Ukraine. Considering the temporary limitations and restrictions which arose due to Covid-19, the client had to adapt its business to the new reality.
- Advising Communisis on employment law issues related to the entry into the Ukrainian market. The goal of the client is to establish its business presence in Ukraine in compliance with the current national laws and regulations. The firm helped the client with navigating through the legal environment in Ukraine, to expand business and avoid fines and penalties for violation of laws.
KM Partners specialises in tax, legal and consulting services, among which employment matters feature prominently. The firm's work covers every aspect of contentious and non-contentious employment work, spanning contractual matters, collective bargaining agreements, disputes, compliance audits, remuneration and outsourcing arrangements. Alexander Shemiatkin, who leads the practice, has 20 years of specialist experience in labour disputes. Counsel Yaroslava Ivasyuk is also recommended for contentious employment matters.
Other key lawyers:
- Successful representation of a large international distributor of electronic devices in a court dispute with a former employee.
- Assistance to a leading manufacturer of construction and finishing materials with matters related to the scheduled inspection.
- Assisting a client with an audit conducted by the Inspector of Labour.
LLC “Deloitte & Touche Ukrainian Services Company”
LLC “Deloitte & Touche Ukrainian Services Company” provides 'deep analysis of the problem and searches for the best solution'. It has a large roster of international clients, for whom it provides comprehensive advice on corporate and employment matters. The firm is also increasingly involved in work for domestic entities and it recently handled an employment-related due diligence exercise for State Joint Stock Company Roads of Ukraine, covering 17,000 employees. Dmytro Pavlenko and Viktoriia Sydorenko jointly lead the practice.
Dmytro Pavlenko; Viktoriia Sydorenko
‘The firm provides deep analysis of the problem and searches for the best solution.’
‘It shows an excellent understanding of the problem and practical ways to solve it.’
‘All problems were solved really quickly and with great attention. All my questions were answered, and I feel the experience was really great.’
‘I just wanted to recognise the efforts of Deloitte team and say thanks! I am sure that Deloitte team all the time tries to be client-oriented and to meet clients demands. Deloitte does a fantastic job!’
ABB Sp. z o.o.
State Roads Agency of Ukraine
- Advice to ABB Sp. Z o.o. on corporate and employment matters in a company restructuring project.
- Ongoing support on employment and occupational safety law to Centravis Production Ukraine PrJSC, with 21 requests processed.
- Employment due diligence of the State Joint Stock Company «Roads of Ukraine» and its 31 subsidiaries, with a total of 17,000 employees.
PwC Legal's employment and immigration team is part of the firm-wide market entry & exit, employment & immigration practice that works across its international network of offices. The seven-lawyer group in Kiev frequently handles the employment and immigration aspects of large cross-border projects. Led by experienced partner Olga Melnychenko, it recently assisted NEQSOL Holding Azerbaijan with the employment aspects of the largest M&A deal in the Ukrainian telecommunications market.
NEQSOL Holding Azerbaijan
Adobe Systems Incorporated (TubeMogul, Inc.)
Joy Global Inc. (Komatsu Mining Corp)
TeeJet Technologies Denmark ApS
- Advised NEQSOL Holding Azerbaijan on the largest M&A deal in the Ukrainian telecommunications market
- Provided comprehensive advice to Timken on structuring its business in Ukraine, which included, inter alia, an analysis of taxation requirements and labour law compliance issues.
- Comprehensive support to Hopewell Group on employment and immigration matters. Hopewell Residential is one of Canada’s leading residential development companies, building stylish and affordable homes in the world’s most sought-after communities for more than 20 years.
Antika Law Firm
Antika Law Firm is sought after by international clients for advice on matters relating to vacations, terminations and employment disputes. It is noted for its know-how in issues concerning the employment of foreign nationals in Ukraine, including both employment contracts and residency permits. Alexey Kot, Alexander Burtovoy and Sergii Korniienko jointly handle a broad range of corporate, litigation and energy work.
Alexey Kot; Alexander Burtovoy; Sergii Korniienko
AWT Bavaria Group
Esan Representative Office in Ukraine
- Legal support to AWT Bavaria Group during employment of foreigners by the Ukrainian companies (employment permit, residence permit matters, drafting of the employment contracts etc.)
Eterna Law advises on employment matters involving senior executives and employees of both Ukrainian companies and Ukrainian subsidiaries of foreign businesses. The firm's work derives from its corporate, regulatory, finance and tax work. It acts for companies in sectors such as IT, telecoms, FMCG and pharmaceuticals. Oksana Kneychuk is the head of the practice. Bankruptcy and litigation partner Denys Kytsenko also plays a major role.
Other key lawyers:
‘In comparison to other law firms, the team is extremely oriented to the result and provides the best level of cooperation within the projects.’
‘For my company, Denys Kytsenko’s team in Eterna Law is one the best and most professional advisors we have ever cooperated with. His result- and client-oriented approach makes the cooperation extremely comfortable and effective.’
Christian Dior Couture Ukraine
Flick Gocke Schaumburg
- Assistance to Dufry Ukraine with work permits, advice on different employment law issues and reviewing employment contracts.
- Advice to Flick Gocke Schaumburg on the issues related to relocation of employees.
- Assisted Unimot SA with an audit of HR documents.
KPD Consulting Law Firm
KPD Consulting Law Firm acts for leading Ukrainian and international companies in the industrial, financial, banking and IT sectors. Its team covers a wide variety of labour law issues, including the transfer of personnel, terminations, collective labour agreements, employee remuneration and benefit schemes, as well as obtaining work permits for foreign nationals. Criminal law head Kyrylo Kazak recently advised technology company Diebold Nixdorf LLC on the recruitment of foreign senior executives.
Diebold Nixdorf (ex-Winсor Nixdorf) LLC
Business Centre “Illinsky”
MOS International LLC
Limited Liability Company “ARTEMIS UKRAINE”
- Advising Diebold Nixdorf (ex-Winсor Nixdorf) LLC on labour issues concerning changing top managers. A feature of this project was the need to harmonise the internal procedures of the Ukrainian company with the standards of the parent company and to ensure a conflict-free change of directors.
- Advising Business Centre “Illinsky” various labour law issues, including the change of top managers and inspections of supervisory bodies in the field of labour law. As a result, there are no more complaints against the client on the part of personnel and supervisory bodies when hiring and dismissing, conducting inspections and observing regulations.
Legal Alliance Company
The 'effective and efficient team' at Legal Alliance Company acts for many multinational pharmaceutical companies with operations in Ukraine. It assists with the drafting of labour contracts, the development of corporate labour policies, obtaining work permits for non-residents, labour relations, layoffs and employers' liability. In addition, the group is experienced in handling complex issues arising from outsourcing agreements, as well as the resolution of labour disputes. Lead partner Illya Kostin 'shows a client-oriented approach and provides highly efficient and effective legal support in complicated cases'.
‘Legal Alliance advises on employment issues based on its extensive experience. Due to well-thought-out strategies it helps avoid negative consequences and financial loss.’
‘Partner Illya Kostin, our key contact at Legal Alliance, remains open to many approaches to address needs or resolve issues. He has outstanding negotiation skills, seeks common interests and win-win solutions taking into account the ethical side of the matters.’
‘Our experience with Legal Alliance team on employment cases is very positive. We consider associates of the firm as top professionals for labour issues. Recent experiences with Legal Alliance demonstrates balanced guidance and successful settlement of labour disputes within set limits.’
‘Partner Illya Kostin diplomatically handles challenging and tense interpersonal situations helping our company avoid reputation and material loss. He negotiates and resolves complex and sensitive disagreements and conflicts, and helps parties to find common ground and viable solutions meeting their needs. ’
‘Iliya Kostin shows deep knowledge, experience and responsiveness.’
‘Legal Alliance shows constant engagement and a high level of professional expertise. They have solid knowledge and professional specialists who act as an effective and efficient team.’
‘I’d like to highlight Illya Kostin, who is a partner at Legal Alliance. Illya always shows a client-oriented approach and provides highly efficient and effective legal support and assistance in complicated cases. He has a solid experience and high level of reputation in Ukrainian legal market. Illya is one of the best Attorney in Law in pharmaceutical regulation, intellectual property, labour and criminal law.’
Boris Medical Clinic
Jadran Galenski laboratorij d.d.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the transformation to the business franchise model and reorganisation of the client’s representative office structure in Ukraine.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the downsizing of the staff in Ukraine.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company and set up an effective dialogue with its trade union for the purpose to achieve a balance between labor rights of employees and the client’s interests.
Marchenko Partners has ‘a highly professional approach, focused on the real needs of the client, and is able to work under pressure of time and circumstances'. It mainly focuses on internal employment policies and termination strategies, acting predominantly for employers. It also handles contentious matters on behalf of employees. Practice head Oleksandr Aleksyeyenko recently assisted British Airways with the reduction of staff in its local office.
‘The firm has a highly professional approach, focused on the real needs of the client, and is able to work under pressure of time and circumstances. It is ready to take initiative, give legal advice and take responsibility.’
‘It shows a high level of attention to personal preferences for different clients, and is always attentive to details, no matter how small.’
- Advised British Airways on the appropriate procedure of staff reduction carried out in the British Airways representative offices.
- Advised Ferring Pharmaceuticals, a privately-owned research-based speciality biopharmaceutical company, on a number of employment and labour management issues in the client’s Ukrainian subsidiary.
PETERKA & PARTNERS LLC
The employment practice at PETERKA & PARTNERS LLC in Kiev works as part of a network of offices across the CEE region, which advises on labour law and HR matters for both employers and employees. As such, it handles contentious matters, employment contracts, terminations, internal policies, social security matters and collective bargaining agreements. Lead partner Taras Utiralov recently assisted chemicals company HSH Chemie with the recruitment of senior employees.
Mammoet (SHV Holdings)
- Complex legal support to Mammoet, the global leader in engineered heavy lifting and transport, on obtaining work permits for its professionals in Ukraine and permissions from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Mammoet professionals (foreigners) to enter Ukraine during a period of quarantine and ban on crossing the Ukrainian border.
- Performing complex human resources due diligence for the Ukrainian subsidiary of World Courier, one of the largest specialty logistics groups in the world.
- Providing complex legal support to KRKA, an international generic pharmaceutical company with a subsidiary in Ukraine, regarding the reorganization of production and work of the company and further implications.
Redcliffe Partners handles the employment aspects of cross-border corporate transactions, and it is also instructed in contentious matters. The firm is currently representing one of the world's largest banks in litigation against its former top managers. Other work encompasses redundancies, benefits and compensation, trade union negotiations and immigration matters. M&A head Zoryana Sozanska-Matviychuk and corporate and compliance head Rob Shantz are the names to note. Associate Stanislav Rodionov joined from Evris.
Zoryana Sozanska-Matviychuk; Rob Shantz
Other key lawyers:
European Investment Bank
- Advises the European Investment Bank on all employment matters that arise in connection with the bank’s operations in Ukraine.
- Advised Ukrainian Energy on employment matters in connection with proposed hiring of workers and other personnel.
- Advised UiPath on hiring of top management and IT professionals for its StepShot project.
SDM Partners LLC has almost 20 years of experience advising on the entire spectrum of employment matters, which ranges from the drafting of agreements to litigation. Its work also extends to labour safety issues, non-disclosure, non-compete and non-solicitation undertakings, and also the recruitment of foreign citizens. Corporate partners Serhiy Dzis (who is 'a highly experienced leader who easily finds the solutions to the most complicated matters') and Dmytro Syrota jointly lead the practice. They have experience in HR due diligence, corporate reorganisations and redundancies.
Serhiy Dzis; Dmytro Syrota
‘SDM Partners is a great team of competent and hardworking lawyers. The team has presented high-standard services that include developing policies and strategies to minimise risks associated with the employment relationship. They fully respond to our needs and requests.’
‘Serhiy Dzis is highly experienced leader who easily finds the solutions to the most complicated matters, client-oriented and with great communication skills.’
‘The team of SDM Partners has extensive knowledge and very broad experience in employment law. It is known for reliability and honesty in regard to the possible outcome of the proceedings. They also meet the deadlines and provide high-quality practical advice. The team is known for excellent understanding of deal dynamics and ability to propose adapted solutions.’
‘Dmitro Syrota is very knowledgeable, competent, and works very hard to frame arguments. He takes ownership and coordinates all legal aspects of the deal, and with his experience, he also contributes to commercial and strategic discussions.’
- Full audit of Travel Hub’s employment reorganisation, provision of recommendations for necessary changes, respectively full support during staff restructuring.
- Assisted Coral Travel with optimising the employment structure of foreigners who do not permanently stay in Ukraine.
Wolf Theiss has 'a practical, solutions-oriented practice’, in which ‘the attorneys are attentive, thorough and provide quick turnaround on urgent and complex matters’. Olga Ivlyeva and Olena Kravtsova co-head a practice that handles employment issues concerning top management and the personnel of both Ukrainian companies and Ukrainian subsidiaries of foreign clients. Their work often stems from large cross-border M&A and restructuring projects. The firm acts for clients in industries such as IT, telecoms, life sciences, engineering and real estate.
Olga Ivlyeva; Olena Kravtsova
‘A practical, solutions-oriented practice.’
‘Attorneys are attentive, thorough, and provide quick turnaround on urgent and complex matters.’
Dassault Systèmes SE
DSM Nutritional Products Ltd.
- Advised Snap Inc. on the peculiarities of work during the Covid-19 quarantine, employment matters, labour authority inspection issues and drafting sophisticated employment documentation in this regard.
- Advised Nvidia Corporation on various employment matters related to the operation of its IT business in Ukraine, including during the Covid-19 pandemic, and with respect to the company’s Ukrainian employees and executives.
- Advising Federal-Mogul Aftermarket GmbH on various employment law issues, including hiring and dismissing employees, change of their material labour conditions, ways of termination of a foreign representative office, legal aspects of sales incentive plans, different employment-related issues during the Covid-19 pandemic as well as assisting the client in obtaining temporary and permanent residence permits for its foreign employee.