Firms in the Spotlight Real estate and construction
ADMD/Mavioglu & Alkan Law Office
Real estate and construction is one of the most esteemed practices at ADMD and we offer a wide range of services.View Profile...
KAYA KÖKSAL ATTORNEY PARTNERSHIP
With its highly experienced team, Kaya Köksal provides high quality and tailor-made legal advice to its clients on various contentious and non-contentious matters in construction sector, especially on international construction projects, FIDIC contracts and related disputes.View Profile...
Real estate and construction in Turkey
Abcoo Law Firm's extensive real estate team handles a wide variety of matters, including individual and portfolio transactions, joint ventures and other investments, sale and leaseback agreements, commercial leasings and construction contracts. The firm advises developers and investors in Turkey and internationally, and is also responsible for large-scale and complex projects with unusual considerations; it recently advised on a development based on a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The team is led by Hasan Çağlayan, who is praised for his 'comprehensive knowledge' of the field; transactional real estate expert Murat Aygün and Berk Batur, who advises on transactional issues.
Hasan Çağlayan; Murat Aygün; Berk Batur
‘High quality legal expertise makes them unique.’
‘The team always listens to the client and asks relevant questions where needed. They make reviews to verify that they understand your situation in detail. Once they make sure that they understand your situation they work hard and come back with a realistic summary assessment and show you your options. Unlike other firms they always give you a short brief including their assessment and recommendation rather than just explain what the law says.’
‘The team were proactive and dealt with some very complex issues very well.’
‘The lead partner and his team were extremely supportive in solving key issues. They sometimes went beyond normal efforts to help resolve and mediate. They were very approachable at all times and I felt like a valued client.’
Aeh Ana Gida
Aeh Anadolu Gayrimenkul Yatirimlari
Ak Portfoy Yonetimi
Baraka Proje Gelistirme
Bsh Ev Aletleri
Counsel And Invest Insaat
Diar Suleymaniye Gayrimenkul
Evyap Holding – Evyap Sabun
Hpp International Turkey Mimarlik Ve Danişmanlik
Huda Dis Ticaret Danismanlik
Kat Turizm Gayrimenkul
Oran Turizm Petrol Yatirim
Orau Orhan Otomotiv
Pd Turizm Ve Gayrimenkul
Pef Antalya Retail Investments
- Advised Peninsula Emlak Yatırım on the Süleymaniye Renewal Project, which is being conducted on land owned by a subsidiary of Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Company, which has been declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Advised Eczacıbaşı Holding on the negotiation, preparation and finalisation of an agreement regarding a project on land owned by Eczacıbaşı and located at Kartal, Istanbu, valued at around $1bn.
- Advised Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Company on various stages of the Sea Pearl Project which currently has 1600 independent sections mainly consisting of residences, an office tower and the Jumeirah Hotel with a minimum revenue expectation of $2.7bn.
Goksu Safi Isik Attorney Partnership handles large-scale construction projects, primarily in the energy, commercial real estate and aviation sectors. The group is notably involved in the Istanbul Grand Airport project, where it handles all legal issues including procurement and EPC contracts. Other clients include private equity investors, constructors and state affiliates. Key names in the team are Ali Göksu and Fatma Gozde Kardes.
Ali Göksu; Fatma Gozde Kardes
‘They are a very dynamic team. They have excellent communication and professional standards. They are always available and responsive. You can find special experts in all areas, yet they give you a coordinated service. You do not need to see and speak to every expert for every single issue. Their reporting system and client relations are faultless.’
‘I think everybody I worked with at GSI stands out. They are all professional.’
‘What makes GSI unique and makes them standout in a competitive market is its organised and detail-oriented approach to complex matters especially in real estate and construction. Their team of expert lawyers commit themselves with utmost dedication to every challenge thrown at them and are able to speedily resolve issues. GSI has always proven itself to be reliable regarding their knowledge of the law and quality of service.’
Protecd İnşaat İhracat
Avrupa Otoyolu Yatırım ve İşletme
KMO Anadolu Otoyol İşletmesi
IGA Havalimanı İşletmesi Anonim Şirketi
Kalyon Yatırım Holding
Fıratcan İnşaat Turizm
KRP Otoyol İnşaatı Adi Ortaklıği
Hanwha Kalyon Güneş
- Advising Cengiz, Mapa, Limak, and Kalyon on the design, engineering, procurement and construction of additional facilities to be constructed in Cukurova Airport and Antalya Airport.
- Advising Fıratcan İnşaat as sponsor on structuring the construction of a train station and shopping centre.
- Advising IGA on the second phase of the Instanbul Grand Airport project, including EPC contracts and all other legal issues.
The 'practical' and 'diverse' team at Hergüner Bilgen Özeke advises clients on transactional and portfolio management issues, commercial leasing work, construction agreements and projects, and acts in disputes. The firm assists a combination of real estate investors and developers, infrastructure and energy companies, and international retailers. The team is led by Serkan Gül, who is an experienced real estate practitioner noted for his combination of transactional, regulatory and administrative law expertise, and Nazım O. Kurt, who handles litigation, particularly relating to construction and infrastructure projects, and contentious cross-border issues.
Serkan Gül; Nazım O. Kurt
‘Hergüner is the largest and one of the best if not the best law firm in Turkey. Their real estate work expands within and outside of Turkey, including in France. Hergüner provides practical advice while putting clients’ interests into attention.’
‘Nazim Kurt has extensive experience in the real estate industry and is known in the industry. Nazim works hard and provides practical advice, while looking at many important perspectives. It is a pleasure to work with him and I recommend him to any other company.’
South Stream Transport
Hanon Otomotiv İklimlendirme Sistemleri Üretim
St Martins Şişli Gayrimenkul Yatırımcılığı
Multi Turkey Yönetim
Metro Properties Gayrimenkul Yatırım
Akıncıoğlu Şirketler Grubu
Uransan Dış Ticaret Taahhüt
Venue Istanbul Gayrimenkul Hizmetleri
Fiba Ticari Gayrimenkul Yatırımları
The Baku Tbilisi Ceyhan Pipeline Company
İzmir Özel Türk Koleji
Pramerica Real Estate (PGIM)
Extensa Istanbul Emlak Yatırım
Union Investment Real Estate
Dubai Ports World Yarımca Liman
Anadolu Gayrimenkul Yatırımcılığı
Kaan Otelcilik Ve Gayrimenkul Yatırımları
Dolphin Overseas Fund
Kaşa Turizm Bilgisaya
- Advising South Stream Transport on unique permitting and land acquisition issues for an onshore/offshore project.
- Assisting St Martins with project development-related matters for the Istanbul Cevahir Shopping and Entertainment Centre.
- Advised Multi on lease disputes, zoning problems, permits and licences, management contracts, and development related issues, and preparing and managing asset and property management services.
ARIKAN | PARTNERS ILC focuses on large-scale real estate and construction projects, including commercial and residential developments of significant value within Turkey, high-profile energy, infrastructure and PPP projects including the Dardanel Bosphorus Bridge, and a number of cross-border construction projects throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East. The team acts for constructors, contractors and investors on financings, transactions, operational elements and contentious issues. Nazlı Arıkan oversees the team, and acts on both advisory and contentious matters, including arbitration proceedings.
‘Arikan is unique because they own projects like this, they are always accessible and provide timely, detailed and correct analysis.’
‘Nazli Arikan is an exceptional individual. She is hardworking and very serious about her work. She owns the project like her own.’
‘They are a group of dedicated lawyers, who take their job very seriously. I have been working with this group for 20 years and have never been disappointed.’
Consera Off-Site UK
Al Ghurair Investment
Koray Group of Companies
NEF Real Estate & Development
Mitsubishi Elevators / AG Melco Turkey
Plato Mining & Construction
Gemak Gemi İnşaat
Gulman Real Estate & Development
- Advising Emaar Properties on its construction contract management and dispute resolution matters in relation to the development and construction of the Emaar LIibadiye Project, valued at around $2.3bn.
- Advising Eczacibasi holding since 2016 on its construction contract management matters for the development of the Galata Port Project.
- Advising Al Ghurair Investment on its real estate and construction matters since 2017 and operations in Turkey.
With a client portfolio including major domestic and international real estate investors, corporates and high-net-worth individuals, Balcioglu Selçuk Ardiyok Keki advises on property acquisitions and disposals, portfolio management issues and construction work, alongside handling real estate disputes. For major clients including Amazon and Dominos, the firm also has a strong track record in commercial leasing work. Barlas Balcıoğlu leads the team, advising constructors, developers and investors on transactional and operational matters. Galip M. Selcuk takes the lead on transactional work, particularly cross-border private equity deals, while Doğan Eymirlioğlu specialises in the leisure and hotels sectors, particularly the construction of hotels in Turkey, Africa and the Middle East.
Other key lawyers:
Galip M. Selcuk; Doğan Eymirlioğlu
‘What is unique is the high quality of service and the focus on client wellbeing. They are creative problem-solvers. Key capabilities are in the commercial law area.’
‘They are very focused on customer satisfaction. They approach problems with a high degree of flexibility and innovation. The individuals I have worked with stand out for their responsiveness, professionalism, persistence, patience, poise and diplomacy. They have strong communication and interpersonal skills. I was extremely impressed with their linguistic abilities, in particular their superb ability to articulate Turkish law matters in English.’
Florence Nightingale Hastaneleri Holding
Hutchison Ports Europe
7Cs Diamond & Jewellery Trading
- Advised Bainbridge on the potential sale of its shopping malls located in Bursa and Mersin.
- Advised Nevzat Aydın, founder of Turkish online food delivery company Yemeksepeti, on his purchase of a number of offices, including a two-storey penthouse, as well as other luxury properties.
- Advised Cola-Cola Turkey on lease agreements, retailer agreements and other real estate issues.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International advises on construction, real estate management, commercial leasing and transactional matters, with a strong focus on the retail and hotel sectors. Notable clients include Marriot, Sumitomo and a number of private equity investors. The practice is headed up by litigator and arbitrator İsmail Esin, allowing the team to act in contentious issues relating to leases, joint ventures and construction projects, including large-scale cross-border projects in Turkey and internationally. Senior associate Kerem Kuşcu takes the lead on transactions.
Other key lawyers:
ICA IC İÇTAŞ ASTALDİ
Marmara Otoyolu Yatırım
Türk Böbrek Vakfı
- Advised Doğan Holding on the renewal of Hilton Bosphorus Istanbul Hotel’s lease agreement for 20 years.
- Advised Marriott on the negotiation and signing of Le Meridien Bodrum Hotel Franchise Agreement with MYC Partners, and the conversion of LUX Bodrum Resort to a Marriott branded hotel.
- Advised SHG Ventures on the incorporation of a legal entity in Turkey, on the drafting and the negotiation of the Hotel Lease Agreement with Emrag Insaat for conversion of Rebis Hotel Bodrum to METT Hotels, and tax structuring matters.
The 'young, passionate and dynamic' team at Kolcuoglu Demirkan Koçakli advises investors, REITs, banks, property developers, corporates and hospitality companies on a range of issues including construction projects, regulatory permissions and transactions. The team has a strong track record in commercial leasing work, particularly for multinational companies operating in Turkey, alongside drafting and negotiating construction contracts, land use agreements and handling legislative issues. Serhan Kocaklı leads the team, specialising in real estate transactions including portfolio deals and site acquisitions. Associate Büşra Özden is praised for her 'outstanding' work across transactions, contracts and development agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team provided solid advice and were very responsive on a matter that had very tight deadlines.’
‘The firm fulfilled all our wishes in the desired time frame. First of all they have presented the map of the actual status, the alternative ways to tackle the problems and the possible solutions. Then in addition to the legal approach, they also used their consultancy proficiency to enlighten us to make the right decisions.’
‘Büşra Özden has performed outstanding in collecting data from a very wide set of resources and in replying to all our questions in very short time.’
‘I have worked with the firm on hospitality sector matters and have found them very helpful and detailed in their explanations without being overly legal. They have always been timely in their advice and I use them regularly for clients I work with out of the UK and internationally.’
‘It’s a young, passionate and dynamic team. When we work in a project together, they behave like someone from our company and that creates confident from our side.’
‘All team members are experienced and specialised in their areas. They are always updated in terms of knowledge. Their service is always very fast and detailed.’
‘Understood our necessities and perspective well and provided on time consultancy which considered all perspectives we need.’
Huntsman Corporation – Ema Kimya
- Advised Mercator, Otto International and other Otto Group Companies on real estate and construction law matters in connection with the relocation of the headquarters.
- Advised Ema Kimya on the reconstruction of its production facility in Tuzla, Istanbul, including the drafting of two FIDIC-based construction contracts.
- Conducted land due diligence reviews for over 15 sites on behalf of Vava Cars, as well as drafting and negotiating construction agreements and lease agreements in relation to second-hand motor vehicle purchasing centres.
Paksoy advises on large-scale real estate development projects, handling deal structuring work, financings, transactions, developments and operational issues, working in close collaboration with the firm's corporate and tax departments. Clients include major corporates in the retail, hospitality, energy, and defence sectors, real estate developers and banks. Standout matters include handling hotel and infrastructure developments on behalf of multinational clients operating in Turkey. The team is led by Elvan Aziz, who also heads up the firm's corporate team and handles large-scale transactions and corporate issues for real estate clients, alongside Zeynel Tunç, who is a specialist in infrastructure and construction work.
Elvan Aziz; Zeynel Tunç
‘The quality of their job stands out, they try to be part of the business and they put themselves in your shoes.’
‘Proactivity, kindness and knowledge.’
Bank of Shanghai
- Advised Orjin Group on the hotel portion of its new development; Izmir İstinyePark, where the hotel management will be provided by Hyatt.
- Advised Bank of Shanghai in relation to the bonds provided by the subcontractors of 1915 Çanakkale Bridge Project.
- Advising PIT Istanbul on the Peninsula hotel development in the historic peninsula of İstanbul.
With a strong focus on the hospitality sector, Pelister Atayilmaz Enkur Law Office acts for major international hotel brands on commercial leasings, site acquisitions and developments, alongside acting for corporates in the retail sector on shopping mall developments and commercial outlets. The team, which is led by commercial real estate specialist Emre Atayılmaz and corporate transactional counsel Emre Keki, handles transactions including portfolio acquisitions, land purchases and procurements, alongside administrative and regulatory issues spanning zoning law, due diligence and real estate regulations.
Emre Atayılmaz; Emre Keki
Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG)
- Advised RCI on a new hotel project in Turkey.
- Advised Avantgarde Hotels on its operational matters.
- Advised VR Gayrimenkul on a residential project, involving the development of 120 residential units.
Özcan & Natan Attorney Partnership
Özcan & Natan Attorney Partnership focuses on the leisure and hospitality sectors, acting for hotel owners and operators on developments, commercial agreements and branding issues, alongside advising on infrastructure projects. The firm regularly advises on cross-border deals, with clients including a number of overseas entities operating in Turkey. The team is led by dedicated real estate and construction lawyers Emre Özcan and Can Natan.
Emre Özcan; Can Natan
‘The firm is unique in that its a boutique firm that knows what it specialises in – this makes them excellent in what they do. Their matters are partner-led, by two talented and experienced lawyers (Emre Özcan and Can Natan), who ensure that clients get the experience they are expecting’
‘Both the firm’s main partners, Can Natan and Emre Özcan, are standouts. They are experienced and talented lawyers, who care deeply about their clients and their businesses. Their goal is always to find the right solution for the client, in connection with their needs.’
- Advised Hayat Turizm on the de-branding of its 326-room hotel located in Istanbul which was previously managed by a leading hotel management company; and the re-branding of the hotel as BH Conference & Airport Hotel Istanbul.
- Advising the Angelides family on all aspects of the drafting and negotiation of a title deed transfer agreement for Beyoğlu Adahan, a building in the historic Galata district of Istanbul.
Since its formation in 2020, CETINKAYA has established itself in the real estate space, quickly developing a client portfolio of foreign real estate investors. The team advises clients on leasing and portfolio acquisitions, many of which involving cross-border elements, as well as working with Turkish developers on overseas construction projects. The real estate team is led by Orçun Çetinkaya.
‘We rely on Cetinkaya for international construction law contracts and disputes. They know our industry as much as a civil engineer, and their partners are always available.’
‘Orçun Çetinkaya is leader in construction law. He is great in negotiations and formidable in court proceedings.‘
‘The Cetinkaya team knows the Turkish construction industry inside out and are becoming a go-to for clients who have claims in international construction arbitration as well as contractors bringing investor state claims.‘
Güner Law Office handles a wide range of real estate issues, advising foreign real estate investors, developers and hotel companies on their Turkish operations and transactional work, including large-scale projects; the group also advises notable corporates including the Walt Disney Company on commercial leasing matters. The team is jointly led by transactional experts Ece Güner Toprak and Burçak Kurt Biçer, alongside project and financing specialist Ömer Erdoğan.
Ece Güner Toprak; Ömer Erdoğan; Burçak Kurt Biçer
‘Ömer Erdoğan and his team are very knowledgeable and experienced lawyers in their market and have been very responsive and very business minded in providing their legal advice. Mr. Erdoğan remains our go-to person in Turkey for hotel and real estate transactions.’
‘Ömer Erdoğan and his team are capable of providing advice on all aspects of a real estate and hotel transaction taking into consideration all of their clients needs.’
The Walt Disney Company
Marriott Hotels International
Polyone Tekno Polimer Müh.
Bank Of America
Wafra Capital Partners Investments
Ali Akbar Atai Ahai
- Advised Marriot Hotels International on its three separate new five-star hotel projects/investments in Turkey.
- Advised Bank of America Merrill Lynch on a lease agreement between Merrill Lynch Yatırım Bank, Merrill Lynch Menkul Değerler and EIS Eczacıbaşı İlaç.
- Advised The Walt Disney Company on lease agreements executed by The Walt Disney Company’s Turkish subsidiaries as leasee.
Kesikli Law Firm focuses on construction projects within the energy and infrastructure sector, advising investors, developers and contractors on a range of issues including construction and procurement contracts, alongside regulatory matters. The firm's particular areas of expertise include construction disputes and cross-border projects, with involvement in developments in Africa, and acting for foreign investors in Turkey. The team is led by specialist energy and projects lawyer Ömer Kesikli.
Güney Biyogaz Enerji
TKIS Blinds Perde
GKE Enerji Tesisleri Taahhut
KS Energy Africa
Pales Engineering Investments
BIOMASS Enerji Elektrik Üretim Anonim Şirketi
Pales Teknik Tesis Yönetim Hizmetleri
- Advising Biomass Enerji on its investment for building a biomass fired power plant in Babaeski/Kırklareli, including energy regulatory matters, financing, structuring and drafting the required project contracts.
- Advised KS Energy Africa on the drafting and negotiation of an Engineering Procurement Construction Contract and an O&M Contract for a 29MW power plant project in the Republic of Benin.
- Advised TKIS Blinds on its entry into the Turkish market, through establishing a Free Zone Entity, the necessary licenses, and premises for a production facility.
Moral & Partners combines transactional expertise with capabilities in construction and development work, advising a number of Turkish and international real estate developers and commercial property holders. The team handles portfolio acquisitions and disposals, long-term development and share agreements, as well as commercial leasing mandates. The group is led by Serkan Pamukkale, who specialises in cross-border transactions, particularly immigration-related purchases, with Vefa Reşat Moral also a key team member.
Other key lawyers:
Vefa Reşat Moral
‘Moral’s response time is excellent. Communication among the team is perfect, all the team is well aware of our issues and can advise in a very short time frame.’
‘Resat Moral has huge knowledge about Turkish market and regulations. He is very close to market realities & the ongoing business issues so his advice is top notch. He develops & leads his team effectively. Resat works around the clock and you feel confident working with him.’
‘The team is very capable in real estate M&A transactions, real estate acquisitions for citizenship purposes and real estate project developments. Their client service is exceptional.’
‘Resat Moral focuses on providing smart solutions on deals and real estate litigation. He effectively uses the technical real estate knowledge with the assistance of his team and implements his understanding of the market on real estate deals.’
Columbia (via Gözalan Retail)
- Advising a Turkish retail and development company on a mixed-use development and share deal agreement.
- Advised a Hong Kong-based real estate developer on the acquisition of residential properties in order to secure Turkish residency under a residency via investment programme.
- Advised a French automotive manufacturer on the sale of a former plant area consisting of six property units located in İzmir, Turkey.
Moroglu Arseven advises landowners, developers, operators and investors, including a number of multinational corporate clients, on transactions and financings, including large-scale acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and spin-offs. The team is particularly strong in commercial real estate and hospitality work, and also handles disputes, construction contracts and distressed projects. Seyfi Moroğlu co-leads the team, specialising in cross-border transactions, financings, and corporate issues, alongside E. Benan Arseven, who handles operational matters and disputes.
Seyfi Moroğlu; E. Benan Arseven
Türkoğlu & Çelepçi in cooperation with Schoenherr
Türkoğlu & Çelepçi in cooperation with Schoenherr advises domestic and international project developers, land owners, banks, financial institutions and retailers on construction agreements, commercial leasing issues, Turkish operations and financing arrangements. The team is led by managing partner Levent Çelepçi, who handles commercial, transactional and financing matters. Corporate lawyer Murat Kutluğ is also a key team member, handling commercial leasing and sale purchase agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Iulius Real Estate
MT Group Companies
Sunglass Hut Turkey
Greiner Packaging International
Build Corp Development
- Advising Atrium European Real Estate on ownership structure and zoning issues relating to its land in central Istanbul.
- Advised Sunglass Hut on real estate, lease and retail legal matters, including the negotiations for locations such as Sabiha Gökçen Airport, duty free areas on the airside of the Third Airport, Akasya, Kanyon, İstinye Park, Babylon Beach.
- Advised Oesterreichische EntwicklungsBank on the financing and refinancing of a portfolio of hydro power plants in Turkey.