Balcioglu Selçuk Ardiyok Keki handles a wide range of matters for media clients, encompassing corporate advice, regulatory support, disputes, and transactional work. The firm acts for TV production companies and channels, media conglomerates, and advertising agencies. Advertising forms a major part of the firm's work, including advice on strategy, intellectual property and data considerations, and contentious issues. The team is led by intellectual property and IT specialist Kağan Dora, competition and regulatory-focused Şahin Ardıyok, and Galip Selçuk, who advises on corporate governance, transactions, and patents.
Media and entertainment in Turkey
Kağan Dora; Galip Selçuk; Şahin Ardıyok
Rafineri Advertising Services
WPP Group Companies Turkey
Advertisement Agencies Association
Motion Content Group
Motion Picture Association
BTS & Partners works with global media giants such as DAZN and Microsoft, as well as Turkish subsidiaries, publishers, and entertainment clients. The firm has a strong record in the IT sector, and in particular social media, advising on content regulations, block access issues, and representing clients before Turkish courts in contentious regulatory matters. The team also works on large-scale digital projects, advertising, and market analytics. The practice is led by Yasin Beceni, a commercial IT specialist; Tuğrul Sevim, who handles intellectual property, contracts, and telecoms issues; and Zeynep Ünlü, who advises on procurement and transactions.
Yasin Beceni; Tugrul Sevim; Zeynep Unlu
- Advising Microsoft on online content, media and advertisement regulations, alongside providing legal support for media-related court proceedings and content removal/access blocking requests.
- Advising on Digiturk’s business operations and creating a roadmap for compliance with Turkish privacy laws.
- Advising DAZN on the operations of its local entity Maçkolik, assisting Maçkolik with contractual, regulatory, privacy, IP, media and advertising matters.
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law advises and represents major international media and telecoms clients in a broad range of matters encompassing data protection, freedom of speech, regulatory compliance, and risk management. Social media and e-marketing are key focuses, with the firm notably representing Wikipedia in its ongoing appeal against its Turkish access ban, alongside other notable representations including those of Google and Amazon. The team is led by experienced TMT-sector litigator Gönenç Gürkaynak, regulatory compliance specialist Ceren Yıldız, and Tolga Uluay, who focuses on contentious regulatory and administrative issues.
Gönenç Gürkaynak; Ceren Yıldız; Tolga Uluay
‘The team uses their excellent commercial experience and communication skills for the company.’
‘The team advises on business strategies from a legal standpoint. In addition to their skills and experience in the legal field, their communication skills are valued.’
‘ELIG has provided our team with high-quality representation in Turkish courts since 2017. They have provided essential guidance on Turkish legal issues relevant to proceedings in other court systems. They excel at interpreting and explaining domestic issues for non-Turkish audiences, and provide valuable strategy advice when interacting with the Turkish government. They have been essential partners in our litigation in Turkey. ’
‘While Gonenc Gurkaynak has been the lead attorney on our case, Ceren Yildiz has provided very helpful day-to-day case management. We are also grateful for the research and analysis from some of the other attorneys.’
Motion Picture Association
Warner Bros. Entertainment
Ralph Lauren Europe
- Representing Wikimedia regarding the access ban imposed on the Wikipedia website in Turkey. Representing Wikimedia at the international level in its pending case on European Court of Human rights regarding the access ban measure implemented in Turkey.
- Provided an assessment on the Google News Initiative regarding potential risks on funding a Turkish news website with respect to the Journalism Emergency Relief Fund programme created by Google LLC.
- Represented Google with respect respect to seven administrative fines issued by the Information Communication and Technologies Authority.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International acts for a diverse range of major international media companies, including television, gaming, and streaming services, with standout clients including Spotify and Netflix. The firm advises on the establishment of businesses in Turkey, and has strong capabilities in the regulatory field, encompassing data protection laws, social media regulations, media and entertainment laws, and practical issues such as filming restrictions. Data privacy and regulatory expert Ilay Yilmaz co-leads the team with senior associate Can Sözer, who advises media clients on a range of corporate and operational issues.
İlay Yılmaz; Can Sözer
- Advised Netflix on its entrance into the Turkish market.
- Advised Bytedance (TikTok) onregarding proposed changes in legislation affecting social media and OTT services.
- Advised Spotify on its on-demand services provided in Turkey.
Güner Law Office has a strong focus on the media and entertainment sectors, advising several major international names including Fox and the New York Times on Turkish operations. The 'experienced and professional' team handles corporate, transactional, and regulatory matters for clients, alongside administrative law, employment, and intellectual property considerations. The practice is led by Ece Güner Toprak, an experienced practitioner who advises media clients on corporate, regulatory, and contentious issues, alongside TMT regulatory specialist Burçak Kurt Biçer.
Ece Güner Toprak; Burçak Kurt Biçer
‘Very experienced and professional team. Thorough research in preparing the advice or cases. The approach is always to solve the dispute or problem for the continuation of a proper business. ’
‘Very detail oriented hand on approach. Always has advice on our direction.’
21st Century Fox (formerly News Corporation)
Twentieth Century Fox International Corporation
Fox Networks Group
The Walt Disney Company
Viacom International Media Networks
Endemol Shine Group
The New York Times
Dow Jones (The Wall Street Journal)
- Advising Fox Networks Group Turkey on its terrestrial “FOX” channel and thematic channels.
- Providing ongoing legal advice to The Walt Disney Company on various broadcasting, contractual, regulatory, real estate and intellectual property matters.
- Providing advice in relation to broadcasting, regulatory, digital media, consumer protection, data protection and intellectual property matters for a global media client.
Gün + Partners' dedicated media practice acts for clients across online entertainment, television, music, film, sport, and advertising, offering corporate governance, regulatory, and disputes support. The team regularly represents multinational media entities before Turkish courts, as well as advising on regulatory compliance and contractual issues. The team is led by Hande Hançar and Uğur Aktekin, both media-focused lawyers with broad practices.
Hande Hançar; Uğur Aktekin
‘They have depth of knowledge in matters that are important to clients in media’
‘Hande Hancar works tirelessly to ensure top service to her clients, no matter the size of the matter.’
‘They know their stuff. A great depth and breadth of experience.’
‘Ugur Aktekin is outstanding and he’s got a great team to back him up.’
- Advised a multinational mass media and entertainment company on a potential global TV format related issue.
- Assisted a leading internet entertainment company in localising music licences.
- Acted for a composer in a copyright dispute against music artist Sezen Aksu.
Moroglu Arseven provides a broad range of services to media and entertainment clients, encompassing corporate governance and transactional support, advice on employment and immigration issues, regulatory matters, intellectual property, and brand management. Clients include publishers, broadcasters, sports clubs, individuals, and advertising companies, with a high proportion of clients being internationally prominent brands or organisations. The practice is overseen by E. Benan Arseven and Işık Özdoğan, who handle sports law and intellectual property issues respectively, with IT and telecoms specialist Burcu Tuzcu Ersin also playing a key role in the team.
E. Benan Arseven; Işık Özdoğan
Other key lawyers:
Burcu Tuzcu Ersin
ADMD/Mavioglu & Alkan Law Office advises businesses and individuals in the media and entertainment industry on the full range of legal matters, including employment, contractual, IT, data, and merchandising issues, alongside representing clients in disputes. Focus industries include television production, telecoms, and video games. The team is led by Kardelen Lule.
Telecom Italia Sparkle
- Advised IFS on digital transformation and the launch of a new platform.
- Advised Telecom Italia on content review, publishing and screening, and compliance purposes.
- Advised Jato on the contractual structure for a new service system, negotiating and executing the web-based interface with an outsource provider.
Gökçe has broad expertise in the media sector, acting for e-sports, video gaming, tech innovation, and web services clients. The team handles contracts, Turkish legal matters for international subsidiaries, employment matters, and regulatory issues. The practice is overseen by the corporate-focused Görkem Gökçe and Ali Paslı, who both have expertise in corporate governance and transactional work within the IT and media sectors.
Görkem Gökçe; Ali Paslı
‘I believe that Gokce is a pioneer in the media and entertainment practice. They are quite good at harmonizing the sectoral know-how with the legal rules. ’
‘Gorkem Gokce, as the managing partner of the firm, has always had special legal solutions to the critical issues of his keen business mind. He is very good at harmonizing his vast legal knowledge with business aspects. He is always open, easy to contact and has a wealth of expertise in the media and entertainment sector. ’
- Advising Masomo on all regulatory matters since its establishment.
- Advising Gram Games on game-related contracts and agreements signed between software developers, designers and voice actors who are involved in production phase of the games.
- Advising Onedio on all operational and regulatory considerations.
NSN Law Firm supports television companies, international broadcasters, producers, sports clubs, and social media platforms in a range of regulatory and operational issues. The team regularly collaborates with international law firms on cross-border issues such as advertising clearance and regulatory permissions, with the advertising industry a strong area of focus. The team is led by Nazlı Selek, Selma Ünlü, and Bilge Derinbay, all lawyers with international experience and capabilities across corporate advisory work, regulatory compliance, and disputes, including litigation before Turkish courts.
Nazli Selek; Selma Ünlü; Bi̇lge Deri̇nbay
‘The media and entertainment law team provides advice on advertising regulations and other regulatory matters. Having opinions and advice from NSN Law Firm provides us the confidence to solve our problems since we know that they are experienced in this market as they can keep up with the regulations and practice, and also, their communications with the administrative authorities are excellent.’
‘We obtain services from the media and entertainment team managed by Partner Bilge Derinbay who is a distinguished lawyer. Working with Bilge is a comfort for us considering her experience in the field and great dispute resolution skills. The complicated dispute resolution matters or complex advertising campaigns can be solved easily due to her intelligence and ability to deal with the legal problems. She is great at specific regulations related to the media sector and always into the daily matters and never fails to inform us regarding the crucial legal developments.’
Beşiktaş Kültür Merkezi
Musikverlage Hans Sikorski
Nestlé Türkiye Gida
Borusan Kültür Sanat
- Assisted Taylor Wessing with advertising clearances and other legal issues for a client in Turkey.
- Represented Musikverlag Hans Sikorski in relation to copyright infringement lawsuits filed against several Turkish State Opera and Ballet Directorates.