Media and entertainment in Turkey
Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki provides advice on drafting and negotiating advertising, media buying and planning, barter, content production and inventory licensing contracts. Other areas of expertise include search engine marketing, social media management and digital performance marketing. In addition, the firm advises its media clients on corporate, M&A, regulatory, litigation and arbitration issues. Clients include IT, internet, advertising, media and entertainment, e-commerce and payment services companies. Kağan Dora joined with a team from Cigdemtekin Cakirca Aranci Law Firm and now co-heads the team alongside media operator Şahin Ardıyok and cross-border TMT transactions expert Galip Selçuk.
Kağan Dora; Galip Selçuk; Şahin Ardıyok
‘Sahin Ardiyok is the best competition lawyer in the country in relation to TMT matters’.
Rafineri Advertising Services
GroupM (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
Mindshare (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
Mediacom (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
Wavemaker (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
The And Partnership (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
Connect (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
Advertisement Agencies Association (“Reklamcılar Derneği”)
Wunderman (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
Directcomm (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
AMVG (An affiliate of WPP Group Companies)
- Advising Mynet Medya on all license agreements entered into with third party suppliers, as well as trademark disputes, unfair competition, content disputes and copyright disputes, and on all corporate matters and litigation cases.
- Advising the Advertisement Agencies Association on the the future and benefits of advertisement sector.
- Assistance of beIn Turkey and representation of the client before the Radio and Television Supreme Council in relation to drafting and enactment of new legislation for over the top services.
BTS & Partners' group is experienced in handling enforcement and block access matters for large international social media companies. It is also knowledgeable about content regulation, media regulations, commercial transactions, data privacy and IP law. Managing partner Yasin Beceni has expertise in outsourcing agreements and other procurement arrangements. Tuğrul Sevim and senior managing counsel Zeynep Ünlü are other key figures in the team.
Yasin Beceni; Tuğrul Sevim; Zeynep Ünlü
‘The uniqueness of the service is reflected by the team’s knowledge and to-the-point analysis’.
‘They are very professional in client management’.
‘Tugrul Sevim is an industry leader in data privacy’.
Microsoft Corporation and Microsoft Turkey
Facebook Inc. & Facebook Ireland Limited
Eczacıbaşı Holding A.Ş.
Digiturk – Krea Içerik Hizmetleri ve Prodüksiyon A.Ş. (beIN Media Group company)
- Advising Microsoft on online content regulation and advertising regulations.
- Advising Facebook on blocking and takedown requests.
- Advising Instagram on blocking and takedown requests.
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law advises clients on official requests and court filings related to digital platforms, content liability issues and user data requests. Its group has niche expertise in freedom of information and expression. In addition, other areas of focus include access bans and removal requests, trade marks, copyrights and privacy issues. Clients of the practice include e-commerce companies, global media enterprises, radio and internet broadcasting companies and social media platforms. Tolga Uluay, who made partner, heads up the team with Gönenç Gürkaynak and counsel Ceren Yıldız. İlay Yılmaz left for Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International.
Gönenç Gürkaynak; Tolga Uluay; Ceren Yıldız
‘Client-focused; committed team members of ELIG Gurkaynak have been supporting our company in areas including controversial content matters, removal requests, trademarks, copyrights, privacy issues, freedom of speech issues in a highly professional manner’.
‘The law firm has always provided legal guidance for our company in a manner enabling our company to handle similar legal issues in the future with ease’.
‘Gönenç Gürkaynak is a recognized thought leader who has experience in advising in significantly large projects in the Media and Entertainment law field’.
‘Ceren Yildiz has deep knowledge and understanding of complex legal projects’.
‘Burak Yesilaltay analyses and provides legal guidance in a detail-oriented manner’.
‘Strong, proactive and very hard-working team with a very good understanding of our business needs in what are very challenging circumstances’.
‘A wealth of experience across disciplines which they are able to pull in as and when needed’.
‘Gönenç Gürkaynak has a superb understanding of our business needs and advises accordingly’.
‘Tolga Uluay is hard-working and talented, a pleasure to deal with’.
Foursquare Labs, Inc.
The Walt Disney Company
Google Reklamcılık ve Pazarlama Ltd. Şti
Google Ireland Limited
Wikimedia Foundation Inc.(Wikipedia.org)
- Advising Google LLC on the launch of certain new products.
- Advised the YouTube Premium service on a variety of matters, including Google’s possible positioning as an actor under internet laws (i.e. as a hosting provider and content provider), marketing and subscription rules within the scope of consumer laws, and concerns about data protection.
- Advising Wikimedia Foundation Inc. on the access ban decision rendered against Wikipedia.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International advises on a variety of media and entertainment matters, including in the related areas of IT and telecoms, data protection and data privacy. It also advises on white-collar irregularities, tax, commercial, contracts, antitrust and real estate matters connected with the media and entertainment industry. Clients include large multinational entertainment organisations, as well as marketing and media companies. İlay Yılmaz, who joined from ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law, co-heads the team with senior associate Can Sözer.
İlay Yılmaz; Can Sözer
Gün + Partners assists clients with drafting and reviewing agreements, handling compliance matters and representing clients before the Turkish authorities, including collecting societies and the Advertising Board. It also advises media clients on their IP, labour law, contracts, corporate and regulatory issues. The firm is active in areas such as television, music, sport, cinema, advertising, internet, theatre and film. Hande Hançar Çelik jointly leads the practice with Uğur Aktekin, who is knowledgeable about IT, data protection, data privacy, unfair competition, advertising and media law.
Hande Hançar Çelik; Uğur Aktekin
‘They make their legal assessments on a multifaceted basis as the matters usually involve media and broadcasting laws in addition to advertising law’.
‘The team we work with also provides high level legal advice about the global strategies of the client’.
‘We usually work in very tight timeframes and they always meet the deadlines and are very responsive’.
‘Hande Hancer is adept at understanding our business needs; she has proved to be a commercial and thoughtful legal partner to us in assisting navigating local territorial nuances’.
- Advising a German-based broadcasting and media production company on the collection of its receivables arising from license agreements, and also representing it in debt collection proceedings to be initiated.
- Advising a world-leading subscription service on drafting and reviewing agreements, labour law, IP law and corporate law issues relating to its local Turkish productions.
Güner Law Office, whose practice is jointly led by Ece Güner Toprak and Burçak Kurt Biçer, advises media companies on broadcasting, M&A, corporate, commercial, IP, regulatory, employment, dispute resolution and contractual issues. It also advises on administrative, consumer and competition matters. The firm advises key client Fox Networks Group on a wide range of matters.
Ece Güner Toprak; Burçak Kurt Biçer
‘The prominent characteristic of the firm is its responsiveness’.
‘The team is well-established and we have a meaningful collaboration’.
21st Century Fox (formerly News Corporation)
Twentieth Century Fox International Corporation
Fox Networks Group
The Walt Disney Company
Viacom International Media Networks
Endemol Shine Group
The New York Times
Dow Jones (The Wall Street Journal)
- Ongoing advice to The Walt Disney Company on various broadcasting, contractual, regulatory, real estate, intellectual property and franchising matters.
- Ongoing advice to Viacom on the broadcast of MTV and Nickelodeon television channels in Turkey, and on local licensing and contractual matters.
Moroglu Arseven is strong in multiple disciplines, which make it well-placed to advise clients on areas such as governance, tax, competition, regulatory, real estate, employment and immigration. It also advises on IP including trade marks, copyright, celebrity image rights and television formats and licensing. The workload is also driven by the firm's involvement in media and advertising-related disputes, as well as regulatory compliance matters. Clients include media publishers, broadcasters, performing artists, athletes, producers, ticketing agencies, sports clubs, and marketing and advertising companies. Benan Arseven and Isik Ozdogan are the joint heads of the practice. Orçun Çetinkaya left the firm.
Benan Arseven; Işık Özdoğan
‘All the lawyers at their office are very experienced and full of knowledge’.
ADMD/Mavioglu & Alkan Law Office's practice demonstrates strong capabilities in matters with a nexus to television, radio, film, advertising, music, publishing and sport, among other subsets of the media and entertainment industry. Kardelen Lule is the head of the team, which advises on a wide range of issues, including regulatory compliance, contracts, dispute resolution, tax, copyright and IP protection.
- Providing legal support in relation to a TV show production.
- Assisting with structuring a mobile gaming platform for a client’s new app developments.
- Assisting with structuring a contracting regime for the lease of filming equipment.
In January 2020, Gökçe merged with YaziciLegal. Melike Akan Yüksel is one of they key figures in the team, which handles digital business, IT and telecoms, IP, e-commerce, data protection, data privacy and online issues for media clients. It also advises on corporate and commercial matters. Görkem Gökçe jointly leads the team with IP and IT expert Ali Paslı.
Görkem Gökçe; Ali Paslı
All Stars Music (Sony/ATV Turkey)
I Mean It
Nisan Yapım (Ahtapot)
Four Mobile – Masomo
Sony Interactive Entertainment
Nays Music/Micro Content
- Advising Gram Games on contracts with software developers, designers and voice actors who are involved in the production of games.
- Advising Pixsy on a licence infringement.
- Acted as the Turkish law adviser to Miniclip in relation to the acquisition of Masomo Limited and its Turkish subsidiary Four Mobile.
Goksu Safi Isik Attorney Partnership’s media department works with the firm's specialists in corporate, IT and litigation to provide an integrated service to clients. It advises telecoms and media companies on corporate transactions, and also handles advertising issues for broadcasters. In addition, further reflective of the breadth of the practice, the team assists streaming companies with regulatory matters. Elsewhere, the firm is active in contentious work, as is illustrated by its involvement in media litigation (including court proceedings related to the use of social media). Key practitioners include Ali Göksu, Ali Taşar and Hasan Akıcıoglu.
‘They have reliable and knowing team members’.
‘Their major strength is professional behaviors’.
‘They are very careful and attentive in communications and with deadlines’.
NSN Law Firm's team includes Nazli Selek, who has expertise in contentious media law issues. Selma Ünlü is knowledgeable about IP, advertising and IT law. Selek and Ünlü jointly lead the group with Bilge Derinbay. It acts for clients such as production companies, advertisers and performers. The team also generates work from news agencies, TV channels, international broadcasters and movie producers. It is adept at preparing legal contracts for films shot in foreign countries.
Nazlı Selek; Selma Ünlü; Bilge Derinbay
Beşiktaş Kültür Merkezi AŞ (BKM)
Musikverlage Hans Sikorski GmbH & Co. KG
Taylor Wessing LLP
Promo Veritas Ltd.
Nestlé Türkiye Gıda Sanayi A.Ş.
Borusan Kültür Sanat Kocabıyık Vakfı İktisadi İşletmesi
Imagine Rights LLC
A.O. Smith Su Teknolojileri A.Ş.
- Ongoing advice to Promo Veritas on advertising and promoting its products in Turkey.
- Advising Musikverlage Hans Sikorski GmbH & Co. KG on copyright matters.
- Advised BESIKTAS KULTUR MERKEZI on commercial agreements in connection with the musical ALICE.