IT and telecoms in Turkey
BTS & Partners is the pre-eminent firm in the IT and telecoms arena. Its many areas of strength include the end-to-end digital transformation of businesses, regulatory compliance, data protection, digital media, payment services, e-commerce, GDPR, fintech, banking, corporate and employment. The firm's first-rate reputation sees it act for a broad base of clients, including governments, NGOs, global academic institutions, and domestic and multinational companies. One of the co-heads of the practice is Yasin Beceni, who is knowledgeable about commercial transactions, communication technologies, IP, and drafting and negotiating ICT infrastructure and services contracts and company agreements. Another co-head is Tuğrul Sevim, who focuses on commercial contracts, e-commerce, internet legal issues, data privacy and IT litigation. Batu Kınıkoğlu and senior managing counsel Zeynep Ünlü also jointly lead the team with Beceni and Sevim.
Yasin Beceni; Tugrul Sevim; Batu Kınıkoğlu; Zeynep Unlu
‘The team consists of diverse professionals that are very competent in their specialist areas’.
‘They are always aware of what is going on in our industry and work for solutions in problematic areas proactively’.
‘We are very pleased to work with this multidisciplinary team’.
‘Data privacy is hot topic in Turkey and they are among few offices who know this topic perfectly’.
Microsoft Corp. and Microsoft Turkey
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The Interbank Card Center (Bankalararası Kart Merkezi)
Koç Group of Companies
Türkiye İş Bankası
Eczacıbaşı Group of Companies
- Advising Microsoft on a retainer basis and providing daily advice on the legislative, regulatory and administrative developments, as well as on Microsoft’s operations in the market and the actions and measures to be taken for providing the compliance thereof.
- Advising Amazon Web Services (AWS) on a retainer basis and provide daily advice on the legislative, regulatory and administrative developments, as well as on AWS’s operations in the market and the actions and measures to be taken for providing the compliance thereof.
- Advising Salesforce on a regular basis for all cloud, data privacy, finance and IT outsourcing-related legal services connected with its operations in Turkey.
Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki handles corporate, employment, IP, data protection, data privacy, dispute resolution, administrative and day-to-day matters for IT and technology clients. Other areas of expertise include software development, licensing, media, advertisement, contracts and litigation. Clients include public institutions, local and international defence companies, radio and TV broadcasters, IT companies, e-commerce businesses and payment services providers. The practice has gained momentum since Kağan Dora joined with a team of lawyers from Cigdemtekin Cakirca Aranci Law Firm in November 2018; Dora jointly leads the amalgamated group with Şahin Ardıyok.
Kağan Dora; Şahin Ardıyok
‘BASEAK is strong at digging and providing best available solutions in a timely manner’.
‘It is apparent that, BASEAK acts as an in-house counsel in its researches and solution seeking processes, which helps us assess the legal and commercial risks’.
‘Their local knowledge of how our company worked and how the relevant law would be interpreted was very valuable’.
‘Very responsive, good technical acumen and easy to get commercial advice from’.
‘Very personable and easy to get along with’.
‘Exceptional commercial judgement’.
eBay Turkey (Gitti Gidiyor)
Théa Pharma Turkey
YemekSepeti (Delivery Hero Turkey)
SDT Space and Defence Technologies
Parametric Technology Corporation
Telpa (General Mobile)
Telecommunications Regulatory Authority
Enerjisa (a JV of Sabancı Holding and Eon Energy – New Business/Telecom)
Turkven Private Equity
- Advised Ericsson Turkey on a supply agreement and concession agreement in order to determine its obligations in accordance with relevant telecoms regulations in Turkey.
- Advised Kantar Insights (TNS and Millward Brown Turkey) on a data protection compliance project.
- Providing Verifone with corporate and competition law advice in relation to acquisition of stakes in a payment solutions provider in Turkey.
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law is experienced in handling matters relating to emerging technologies, data protection, digital platforms, content liability and online free speech. It also advises on copyright, trade marks, internet-related litigation, domain name disputes, regulatory matters and telecoms agreements. Clients include social media platforms, e-commerce marketplaces, global technology and internet companies based in the US, Europe, Japan, Turkey and the UK. The firm deals with court orders and information requests for key clients Twitter and Google on a regular basis. Gönenç Gürkaynak jointly heads up the team with recently promoted partner Ceren Yıldız. İlay Yılmaz departed the firm for Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International.
Gönenç Gürkaynak; Ceren Yildiz
‘ELIG Gürkaynak’s hard-working and detail oriented team members have professionally represented our company in highly sensitive legal escalations, specifically in the internet law, data protection, data privacy, hardware, e-commerce and broadcasting areas’.
‘Managing partner Gönenç Gürkaynak of ELIG Gurkaynak is among highest ranked legal professionals in the sector for many years and a conscientious partner’.
‘Ceren Yildiz, head of IT & Telecom department of ELIG Gurkaynak, is the key name in supporting Managing Partner Gönenç Gürkaynak. We have always appreciated her resilience and understanding of our needs’.
‘Associate Counsel Burak Yesilaltay has consistently exhibited strong judgements in challenging legal matters’.
‘They are super responsive, knowledgeable and very easy to work with’.
‘Always willing to go the extra yard to get the advice that the client needs’.
‘Ceren Yildiz is extremely responsive and thoughtful about issues’.
Google and YouTube
Automattic Inc. (WordPress.com)
Foursquare Labs, Inc.
Wikimedia Foundation (Wikipedia.org)
Mizuho Bank Group (a multinational bank based in Japan)
ING Bank (a Dutch multinational banking and financial services corporation)
Ralph Lauren Europe Sàrl
RingCentral (cloud-based communications)
- Advised Google LLC on the launch of two new products in Turkey, Google Home and Google Home Mini. Issues covered included safety, labelling, packaging, equipment certification, warranty and post-sales technical support requirements.
- Advised Travelex on Turkish law data protection and privacy matters.
- Advised RingCentral on licensing and authorisation requirements under Turkish law relating to the provision of voice services, videoconferencing, and other collaboration services to international customers outside of Turkey who have personnel within Turkey.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International fields a team which is highly capable in areas such as data protection and data privacy, e-commerce and internet law, among others. It also advises on regulatory, communications and contractual matters. The group acts for multinational companies in the finance, e-payments, e-commerce, telecoms, healthcare and energy sectors. İlay Yılmaz, who joined with two associates from ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law in May 2019, jointly leads the group with senior associate Can Sözer.
İlay Yılmaz; Can Sözer
‘Starting from the first correspondence phase Esin Attorney Partnership is always very professional’.
‘They have a big team and every sub-group is experienced in different areas; you are always consulting with a senior lawyer’.
‘Team members are practical and easy to work with’.
‘Can Sözer is a very professional, hard working, clever lawyer. He is also very friendly and his communication skills are above excellent’.
‘They have provided us with excellent information in such short time periods regarding compliance to data privacy regulations’.
Hewlett Packard Enterprices (HPE)
- Advised Visa on data privacy and banking regulations in Turkey.
- Carrying out various legal compliance work for Unilever’s e-commerce websites.
- Assisting Hewlett Packard Enterprises (HPE) with a comprehensive data privacy compliance project.
Gün + Partners is a key player in the IT, telecoms and communications industries, with its team having expertise in sector-specific regulations (and related compliance issues), data protection and data privacy. In addition to having a dedicated IT and telecoms group, the firm also leverages the knowledge of experts in areas such as corporate and M&A, competition, IP and employment. Uğur Aktekin, who heads the team, acts for a number of high profile, blue-chip clients. Begüm Yavuzdoğan Okumuş is also recommended.
‘Expert legal support always in timely manner’.
- Advised a major software company active in the fintech space on the regulatory framework that applies to it as a foreign software company providing software and services to banks and other financial institutions in Turkey.
- Advised a Japanese payment systems company on payment systems ecosystem in Turkey.
- Advised an authorised electronic communications operator on the provision of regulatory services, and also represented the client before the regulatory authority.
Moroglu Arseven advises on new and developing technologies, including those relating to online gaming, gambling and betting services, as well as as e-currencies (including bitcoin). Its team is led by Burcu Tuzcu Ersin, who has experience of venture capital, growth and start-up financing. The group also advises on the creation, acquisition, transfer, use and IP protection of technology. Clients include large multinational companies operating in the technology, e-commerce, media and entertainment sectors.
Burcu Tuzcu Ersin
‘Partner Burcu Tuzcu Ersin is very responsive and thoughtful when it comes to client requests’.
‘Experience and having a good command of subject makes them different from competitors’.
‘Competitive pricing and high service quality’.
‘Team capabilities were incredible; they understood each sectors’ business models and ways and gave us an idea of how to establish the company’.
- Advised 212 Capital Partners on all aspects of venture capital investments in start-ups, providing early stage financing in single or multiple rounds.
- Advised ISS Turkey on developing, implementing and monitoring a comprehensive, end-to-end, local data protection compliance programme, covering all departments and service units of the company.
- Advised GENPA on the development and implementation of a comprehensive, end-to-end, data protection compliance program.
ADMD/Mavioglu & Alkan Law Office's team handles various IT and telecoms issues for clients, such as those relating to GDPR, software and hardware development, IP, and sales, maintenance and licensing agreements. It is experienced in structuring start-ups and moving businesses onto the internet. Clients include telecoms companies, internet service providers (ISPs), software companies, electronic publishers, social media platforms, gaming companies and e-commerce businesses. Orhan Yavuz Mavioglu is the practice head.
Orhan Yavuz Mavioglu
- Acting for a client on the development of CRM management contracts and data handling guidelines in line with GDPR.
- Assisting a client with structuring a mobile gaming platform for its new app developments.
- Assisting with structuring a contracting regime for mobile video/health content development application.
Cigdemtekin Cakirca Aranci Law Firm handles IP, data protection, banking, regulatory compliance and day-to-day legal matters for its IT and telecoms clients. Other areas of expertise include governance and e-commerce. IP specialist Ayca Aranci and payment services expert Tuna Çakırca are the joint heads of the practice.
Ayça Arancı; Tuna Çakırca
Mikro-Tasarim Elektronik San. Ve Tic.A.Ş.
ODTÜ Teknokent Yönetim A.Ş. (Middle East Technical University Technopolis)
Verifone Elektronik ve Danışmanlık Ltd. Şti. (Verifone Turkey)
eBay Turkey (Gitti Gdiyor Bilgi Teknolojileri San. ve Tic. A.Ş. – eBay’s Turkish subsidiary)
Panaroma Bilişim Teknolojileri
Ankara Development Agency
İzmir Biyotıp ve Genom Merkezi
ODTÜ MEMS Researcher Centre
Just Food Ltd. Şti.
ODTÜ Geliştirme Vakfı Okulları A.Ş.
Aimtech Elektronik Tasarim Üretim Savunma Bilişim İnşaat Araştirma Geliştirme Hizmetleri İth. İhr. San. Tic. Ltd. Şti.
APPS Bilgi Teknolojileri Limited Şirketi
Barko-Med Elektronik Ticaret A.Ş.
Brensan Enerji Savunma San ve Tic. A.Ş.
KAREL Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
TRLINSTRUMENTS Proses ve Ekipman Teknolojileri Geliştirme Tasarım Üretim San. ve Tic. Ltd. Şti.
- Advising Verifone on various IT and telecoms matters.
- Advising Edenred on various IT and telecoms matters.
- Advising KAREL Electronics on project-based agreements for IT & telecoms R&D projects.
Ersoy Bilgehan Lawyers & Consultants advises on data protection and data privacy compliance projects, cybersecurity, contract law, corporate and commercial matters, and IT litigation. Other areas of expertise include e-commerce, privacy policies, employee monitoring, cross-border data transfers, data retention and telecoms licensing. Zihni Bilgehan, who advises blue-chip companies, jointly heads up the practice with of counsel İlknur Pekşen.
Zihni Bilgehan; Ilknur Peksen
‘All individual lawyers in the firm are very polite and knowledgeable, therefore you are always well treated and guided in the right way in a timely manner’.
‘They are have exceptional prestige and a good name in the local market’.
Their experience in the shipping market is unique’.
‘The team has swift response and creative solutions to difficult subjects’.
‘Zihni Bilge Bilgehan is an exceptional partner; he has unique approach to his clients and deserves every penny for his services’.
Emarsys eMarketing Systems
Neler Bedava (Freegy)
Zenith Ship Management
- Advising China Telecom on telecoms licences in Turkey, as well as day-to-day matters concerning its local branch.
- Ongoing advice to CD Media, the exclusive distributor of Nintendo products in Turkey, on its day-to-day operations.
- Advising internet start-up Neler Bedava (Freegy) on data protection and general contract law matters.
Gökçe, which merged with YaziciLegal in January 2020, generates a wide range of mandates, such as those involving IT law, data protection, data privacy, IP law and regulatory matters. Other areas of expertise include cross-border technology projects, e-commerce, corporate governance, and media and entertainment. It is adept at assisting technology and internet start-ups and also advises media, internet-based and digital businesses. The team is jointly led by Görkem Gökçe, who works with technology sector start-ups, and commercial law expert Ali Paslı. Melike Akan Yüksel is also recommended.
Görkem Gökçe; Ali Paslı
Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc.
Foriba (FIT Bilgi İşlem Sistemleri A.Ş.)
Scotty (Scotty Teknoloji Ltd. Şti)
Mükellef Teknoloji A.Ş.
All Stars Music (Sony/ATV Turkey)
- Assisting Hilton Worldwide with issues impacting its hotels in Turkey (Hilton Turkey) in relation to Turkish Data Protection Law numbered 6698.
- Acted as the Turkish adviser to Miniclip on the acquisition of Masomo Limited and its Turkish subsidiary Four Mobile.
- Advising Gram Games on game related contracts and contracts signed between software developers, designers and voice actors who are involved in production phase of the games.
Güner Law Office's client roster includes multinational companies in the broadcasting, media and entertainment, and telecoms sectors. Ece Güner, Burçak Kurt Biçer and Ömer Erdoğan are the joint heads of the practice. The varied portfolio of IT and telecoms work includes matters involving corporate, commercial, regulatory, IP and compliance issues. Dispute resolution is another driver of activity.
Ece Güner; Burçak Kurt Biçer; Ömer Erdoğan
‘Strong negotiating relationship with the regulator has enabled us to address queries and reach solutions in a timely fashion’.
‘The Guner team brings credibility to the room’.
‘Everyone has demonstrated a willingness to understand and accommodate our business needs’.
Fox Network Group and Fox Turkey
Microsoft Mobile Turkey (formerly Nokia Turkey)
Sulake Corporation Oy
DCom Distrubition GmbH
- Advising Fox Networks Group Turkey on compliance of its websites with local legislation, on the new Personal Data Protection Law and its impact on the client’s business.
- The firm has been advising Microsoft Mobile Turkey (formerly Nokia Turkey) on various corporate and regulatory matters for more than 15 years. It also assists the client with litigation arising from consumer claims.
HAMZAOĞLU & Partners
HAMZAOĞLU & Partners' areas of focus include data protection compliance projects, cross-border data transfers, registrations with the Data Controllers Registry and advice on cloud solutions. Managing partner Yücel Hamzaoglu, who ‘has a very deep understanding of IT and technology law’, has expertise in regulatory matters, electronic communications and artificial intelligence.
‘The team makes me feel that the matters are attended to in a dedicated and diligent manner, and that they have knowledge and they do care about the possible consequences on our side’.
‘Yücel’s highly competent legal and strategic approach to legal matters is the foremost impressive side of this firm’.
‘They are knowledgeable about what we are asking and answer with quick responses, which is very important for us’.
‘They are professional, experienced, guest-focused and result oriented’.
‘Their expertise and advice is very strong’.
‘They very well manage all commercial and technical issues while providing consistently high quality work’.
‘Yücel Hamzaoğlu and Melike Erol are the stand-out partners; Yücel is an outstanding professional with his deeply rooted expertise in technology and regulations’.
‘Yücel not only provides genius legal solutions, but also adds value to the business’.
‘Yücel knows every current and forthcoming sectoral aspect of the regulations’.
‘Melike is an insightful partner and her advice is shaped with an in-depth knowledge about technology and digitalisation matters’.
Sheraton Çeşme Hotel, Resort and SPA
Radisson Blu Şişli
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke is particularly focused on data protection compliance, cross-border data transfers, data breaches and subject access requests (SARs). The firm also handles other matters for clients by leveraging its strengths in commercial litigation, M&A, corporate, employment and competition law. Clients include Turkish and multinational companies. The team is jointly led by Kayra Üçer, Ufuk Yalçın and Deniz Tuncel.
Ufuk Yalçın; Kayra Üçer; Deniz Tuncel
‘Easy to reach, responsive, high quality legal advice, value for money, broad area of expertise and very good communication skills’.
Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.
Hitachi Industry & Control Solutions, Ltd.
Scientific Games Szerencsejatek Szolgaltatasok Kft
Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
OBSS Bilişim Bilgisayar Hizmetleri Danışmanlık Sanayi ve Ticaret Limited Şirketi
- Assisted Telia Company with the acquisition of Turkcell’s circa 41.4% stake in Fintur.
- Assisted Alibaba with the acquisition of a Turkish e-commerce company.
Paksoy's experience of the IT and telecoms sectors sees it handle a broad spread of matters for clients, such as regulatory advice, corporate and commercial work and dispute resolution. The firm acts for clients in sectors such as banking and finance, insurance, fintech, telecoms and defence. Selin Barlın Aral, who made partner, jointly leads the team with fintech expert Sera Somay and emerging technologies specialist Stéphanie Beghe Sönmez. Ceylan Necipoğlu joined as a senior associate from BTS & Partners.
Stéphanie Beghe Sönmez; Sera Somay; Selin Barlın Aral
‘Their TMT team has been quick and sharp in releasing advice requested (e-signature rules and uses for a number of contracts in Turkey)’.
Alliance One International
- Advised Apple on Turkish consumer credit and mobile phone regulations.
- Advised Alliance One International on data protection compliance processes and international data transfers.
- Advised Huawei on data protection compliance process and IT regulatory matters.
Pelister Atayilmaz Enkur Law Office advises on data privacy, data protection, cross-border data transfers, and due diligence of business operations and international systems. It is also adept at handling issues related to e-commerce, consumer law and advertising. Emre Atayılmaz, Gökhan Enkür, and Kerim Pelister are recommended.
Kerim Pelister; Emre Atayilmaz; Gokhan Enkur
‘PAE has good knowledge of IT and telecoms’.
‘Gokhan Enkur demonstrated his good level of experience and background in IT’.
Cigna (Pension and Life)
Pine Bridge Investments
Lockton Overseas Limited
- Ongoing advice to Ulusal Faktoring A.S. (Ulusal), which is the Turkish joint venture company of Pine Bridge Eurasia Financial Investments, on its compliance programme relating to the new Turkish Data Protection Act.
- Ongoing advice to Terex Turkey on its compliance programme relating to the new Turkish Data Protection Act.
- Advised Komet Noatum on its compliance programme relating to the new Turkish Data Protection Act.
TURUNÇ handles technology transactions and often advises multinational clients on international matters. Areas of expertise include data protection, software and licensing. Counsel Esin Çamlibel, who specialises in IP and competition law, leads the team alongside technology transaction expert Kerem Turunç.
Esin Çamlibel; Kerem Turunç
‘What I think makes this practice unique is its ability to offer a one-stop shop experience’.
‘If the issue involves a foreign jurisdiction, they work with partner firms to offer, which means for me a single point of contact and a single invoice’.
‘My main contacts are Kerem Turunç and Dr. Esin Çamlibel; each is very dedicated, technically able and super commercially and internationally-minded’.
‘The major strength is the mindset; they have a vision of the tech industry just like the Silicon Valley law companies’.
‘They do not see the client as a cash resource, but more like a partner to invest into’.
‘Gozde Kiran and Gizem Gunel are two young, ambitious and hardworking lawyers that have helped us a lot’.
Vinci Venture Capital
- Providing on-going advice to shisha tobacco company Al Fakher, including representation against cybersquatters.
- Ongoing advice to Borsa Istanbul on its partnership with NASDAQ OMX.
- Advising DeepZen, an artificial intelligence and deep learning-based computer-speech software start-up, on a wide variety of matters.
Yazicioglu Attorneys at Law is adept at handling the corporate and commercial aspects of TMT matters, and also assists clients with data protection and other regulatory issues, as well as dispute resolution. In addition, other areas of expertise include e-commerce, internet, IP, and IT-related matters and agreements. Team head Bora Yazıcıoğlu is the founding member and a director of the Data Protection Association in Turkey.
‘Very capable of understanding technology’
‘Bora Yazıcıoğlu and Nevzat Ali Anı are highly qualified professionals especially in GDPR, information technology law, and compliance’.
‘We are very satisfied with their services, since the attorney team has a deep understating of ecommerce technologies, data enrichment, automation, AI and others’.
‘Mr Yazicioglu and Mr Nevzat helped us to change and improve some of our business processes including data collection, contracts, approval letters and other materials to comply with the law’.
‘Very approachable and real experts on personal data management’.
‘Bora Yazicioglu has an in depth expertise on TMT and he can provide to the point advice considering all aspects of the matter’.
‘Nevzat Ani is very responsive and hard working‘.
One of the most well-known textile retail companies in Turkey
Boyner Büyük Mağazacılık
A global sportswear company
Viessmann (underlying client) via Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek (Germany)
A major global door security company (underlying client) via Osborne Clarke (UK).
Havas Milan (underlying client) via Osborne Clarke (Italy)
- Advising a textile retail company on a data breach notification.
- Advising a global sports wear and gear company on an investigation on a cross-border personal data transfer initiated by Turkish Data Protection Authority.
- Advising Vieassmann on an electronic security system to be introduced to its heating devices.