Deris Attorneys at Law Partnership is a dedicated intellectual property firm, which handles protection, enforcement, and prosecution of patents and international trade marks. The firm is a trusted adviser to a number of major domestic and international companies. Mehmet Nazım Aydın Deriş oversees the team, while Okan Can is a highly respected, internationally qualified intellectual property practitioner.
Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Deris Attorneys at Law Partnership
Deris, since 1912, has been one-stop shop for IP services with one of the largest and internationally regarded IP litigation, prosecution and advisory team.The firm has been a pioneer in shaping the IP landscape by obtaining the precedent decisions and participating the preparation of the IP legislation upon the invitation of the legislative bodies. Deris …View Profile...
Intellectual property in Turkey
Gün + Partners has a broad and dedicated intellectual property offering, with teams handling patents, trade marks and copyright, anti-counterfeiting, and prosecution. Clients include major names in fashion, automotives, internet services, retail, and life sciences with operations in Turkey. The firm acts on a high volume of complex litigation, dawn raids, and patent applications. The extensive team includes practice heads Uğur Aktekin, Barış Zühdü Kalaycı, and Özge Atılgan Karakulak, who maintain extensive client bases across key sectors. Other key members include the highly experienced Mehmet Gün, newly promoted partner Aysel Korkmaz Yatkın and Zeynep Seda Alhas.
Uğur Aktekin; Barış Kalaycı; Özge Atılgan Karakulak
Other key lawyers:
Mehmet Gün; Aysel Korkmaz Yatkın; Zeynep Seda Alhas
- Conducted a number of dawn raids for major brands, seizing 2.1 million counterfeit products and winning two court cases relating to counterfeiting.
- Representing the producer of a new prenatal testing kit in the protection and enforcement of the patent-protecting modified nucleotide, against the local distributor of a Chinese company, producing kits containing infringed modified nucleotides.
- Assisted one of the world’s leading automotive spare parts and aftermarket companies in obtaining a preliminary injunction from the Ankara courts against a a local infringer, who registered its trade marks and used them all around the country.
Moroglu Arseven fields a team of qualified trade mark and patent attorneys, and acts for several major multinational brands throughout the life cycle of their trade mark and copyright issues. The group handles copyright applications, portfolio management and strategic advice, patent applications and litigation, and anti-counterfeiting support. Key sectors include retail, e-commerce, fashion, and automotives. The team is led by global IP specialist Işık Özdoğan, who maintains a broad practice. Gökçe İzgi focuses on commercialisation and regulatory compliance, while senior associate Ece Berkman advises on portfolio management and advertising issues. Ezgi Baklacı Gülkokar concentrates on trade mark and unfair competition litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Ece Berkman; Ezgi Baklacı Gülkokar; Gökçe İzgi
‘Very reactive and pragmatic, business oriented.’
‘Dedicated and transparent ’
‘The team is responsive and reliable.’
Toyota Motors Europe
Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
NSN Law Firm has intellectual property as a key focus area, advising and representing clients in registration, investigation, litigation, and enforcement matters. The practice has separate teams focused on trade marks and design, copyright and advertising, and patents and life sciences, reflecting broad expertise across the space. In life sciences, the team handles regulatory issues as well as IP work, often providing regulatory solutions to patent and trade mark matters. The team is led by the highly experienced Selma Ünlü, recognised as an expert in trade marks, alongside media and copyright specialist Bilge Derinbay.
Selma Ünlü; Bilge Derinbay
‘NSN gives me the impression that it is very professional and has a thorough analysis of legal issues, which enables us to know the advantages and disadvantages of this case very quickly. In addition, the lawyers of NSN law firm are very friendly and have a very good customer experience.’
‘Professional, timely, effective opinions, understanding of the customer’s business model, understanding of the customer’s strategic purpose, effective decision-making’
‘Extensive knowledge and experience of IP law and they follow up each and every case very closely. Each member of the IP team has a perfect knowledge and experience in IP law. IP team members provide a high level of legal advice and they also manage the global strategies of their client in an effective way. ’
‘NSN Law is very responsive with their answers. In other words, when we ask an inquiry, they usually get back to us within one business working day which makes it great to deal with big corporate clients.’
‘The team is responsive and proactive.’
Soci̇été De Produits Nestle
J. Barbour & Sons
- Representing Borusan Mannesmann in a trade mark infringement case relating to the Mannesmann trade mark.
- Acted for Luke Irwin Rugs in an investigation relating to the production of counterfeit and unapproved rug designs by other producers, in violation of a contractual agreement.
- Represented Raspberry Pi in a long-running application for a trade mark in Turkey, overcoming opposition from a counterparty.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International specialises in trade mark registration and enforcement matters, acting for major international brands including Victoria's Secret and global entities such as NBC Television. The team, led by senior associate Mine Güner, advises on Turkish copyright and trade mark applications, challenges misuse of brand trade marks, and represents in litigation, including a number of complex and long-running proceedings. The firm collaborates with its wider global brand management practice, utilising developments in legal technology to act on cross-border matters.
Louis Vuitton Malletier
Honda Motor Co
- Successfully represented Victoria’s Secret in its long-running trade mark case, relating to the Pink brand.
- Represented NBC Television in a copyright claim relating to its trade mark for the popular Netflix show Umbrella Academy.
- Represented Jumeirah International in a copyright claim against a party misusing its trade mark, Burj Al Arab.
Güner Law Office specialises in intellectual property work for media, entertainment, and telecoms clients, including transactional IP matters, litigation, and registration and transfer of trade marks and patents. Notable mandates include those from global giants 21st Century Fox and Disney, with the firm supporting these clients with Turkish trade mark and IP issues, notably protection and actor's rights. The team is led by highly experienced IP specialist Ece Güner Toprak, who offers great expertise across advisory and contentious IP, both in Turkey and internationally.
Ece Guner Toprak
21st Century Fox
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
Fox Networks Group Turkey
Schneider Electrics SE
Gunsan Elektrik Malzemeleri
Man With A Mic
Endemol Shine Group
- Managing the intellectual property portfolio of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and its group companies in Turkey for 20th Century Fox brands.
- Acting on behalf of Gunsan Elektrik Malzemeleri in trade mark litigation issues and advising on the protection of its trade marks.
- Advising and acting on behalf of Disney Enterprises on trade mark infringement matters.
Specialist firm Kenaroglu Avukatlik Burosu acts for global major brands and companies on advisory and contentious intellectual property matters. The team, led by experienced IP specialist Yasemin Kenaroglu, manages trade mark portfolios, assists with patent and trade mark registration, represents in litigation, and handles disputes relating to enforcement and unfair competition. Senior associate Ugurcan Tekin takes the lead on prosecution and litigation before both the TPTO and the intellectual property courts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Yasemin Kenaroglu is one of the top IP lawyers in the country. Responsive, reliable and always keen to find a creative solution. ’
‘From an above-average responsiveness to a high-level detail in their communications, they are a firm who has always shown to be reliable and capable of delivering consistent legal advice.’
‘Particularly Yasemin Kenaroglu, as the leading partner, always presents very personalized advice which clearly results from an in-depth study of the cases. Naturally, this stands out in the fast-paced world of IP.’
‘Very well coordinated, proactive and they are never late in reporting the progress of a case. ’
‘Yasemin Kenaroglu is a brilliant professional. She is always available and responds quickly. I appreciate her practical point of view with solutions that are not standard but applied to the specific case. Very resolutive.’
VOLVO TRADEMARK HOLDING AB
GIORGIO ARMANI S.P.A.
INDUSTRIA DE DISENO TEXTIL, S.A. (INDITEX, S. A.).
GRUPO MASSIMO DUTTI, S.A.
STRADIVARIUS ESPANA, S.A.
DSQUARED2 TM S.A.
USPA GLOBAL LICENSING INC.
LUXOTTICA GROUP S.P.A.
FILA LUXEMBOURG SÂRL
AVON PRODUCTS, INC.
DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS, LLC
MEDIA-SATURN HOLDING GMBH
ESSITY HYGIENE AND HEALTH AB
SAAT VE SAAT SANAYI VE TIC A.S.
PERNOD RICARD GROUP
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership is extremely active in anti-counterfeiting matters, regularly acting for major luxury brands and retailers such as L'Oreal and Superdry in customs enforcement proceedings and dawn raids relating to counterfeit goods. The firm also advises clients on Turkish IP regulations and compliance issues, as well as representing in civil and criminal cases. The team is led by intellectual property specialist Esra Dündar Loiseau.
Esra Dündar Loiseau
Lancome Parfums Beaute & Cie
Superdry- Dkh Retail Limited
- Conducted a raid operation for L’Oreal wherein 211,854 counterfeit perfume products were seized, including 75,765 products bearing the client’s trade marks.
- Filed a cancellation action against the “FENDIBABY” trade mark on behalf of Fendi.
- Conducted a raid operation where 25,361 counterfeit products including shorts, sweatshirts and labels bearing the SUPERDRY trade mark were seized.
CCAO works with a number of international companies and brands, and regularly receives referrals from international law firms, handling the full range of intellectual property issues. The firm supports clients with copyright and trade mark filings, enforcement, litigation and other forms of dispute resolution, and regulatory compliance. The team is led by dedicated IP litigator Tolga Semiz, and senior associate Eren Küçükkurt, previously of the TPTO.
Tolga Semiz; Eren Küçükkurt
‘The team is knowledgeable, responsive and efficient.’
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law works on a cross-practice basis with its IT and telecoms, disputes, and corporate teams in handling intellectual property matters for a wide range of clients, including Twitter and Google. The team has particular strength in the IT, telecoms, media, and life sciences sectors, advising and representing clients in trade mark, patent, and copyright matters. The team is led by experienced disputes and regulatory lawyers Gönenç Gürkaynak, Ceren Yıldız, and Tolga Uluay.
Gönenç Gürkaynak; Ceren Yıldız; Tolga Uluay
‘The team has a business-minded and practical approach.’
Motion Picture Association
- Representing Google Reklamcılık and Google Ireland in a case initiated by Çiçek Sepeti İnternet Hizmetleri regarding trade mark rights.
- Advised Motion Picture Association with regards to Turkish film law and regulations.
Boutique firm OFO VENTURA INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND LITIGATION offers a dedicated service across intellectual property issues, including advisory and compliance matters, enforcement, and litigation relating to patents, trade marks, copyright, and counterfeit goods. The firm acts for an extensive range of international brands and businesses, many on a continuous basis. Experienced IP litigation specialists Ozlem Futman and Yasemin Aktas oversee the team.
Ozlem Futman; Yasemin Aktas
‘I have been working with the firm for many years and they are now part of the team, they know all our clients and their files perfectly, they are committed and defend your rights as if they were their own’
‘Ozlem is a great person, very knowledgeable in court litigation.’
‘This firm has real capacities to develop innovative and, at the same time, good sense protection strategies. It has also the real capacity to understand the needs of international clients from various field of activities.’
‘The individuals I work with are also available, easy to contact. Human contact is also very important for OFO VENTURA. Clients are not just a client number.’
‘The bottom line is, sometimes you just need a law firm that wins. And that is what OFO VENTURA does. Consistently delivers positive results.’
‘OFO VENTURA has a customer-oriented philosophy which as their core concept. Their answers are always prompt and concrete. ’
‘Yasemin Aktas is proactive, efficient, resourceful and trustworthy. She is diligent and her unique approach leads to at least several options for resolving the actual problem.’
OZDAGISTANLI EKICI ATTORNEY PARTNERSHIP works with a number of major international brands in the consumer goods, IT, life sciences, and media sectors on portfolio management, protection, and agreements relating to their Turkish operations, including production and distribution contracts. The team is led by Hatice Ekici Taga, a specialist in patent and trade marks, with Burak Ozdagistanli also working regularly on intellectual property issues.
Hatice Ekici Taga
Other key lawyers:
‘Great practical, business minded advice.’
‘Stand-out partners are Hatice Ekici Taga and Burak Ozdagistanli. Both are responsive, highly competent, and a pleasure to work with.’
Eccho Rights AB
- Advising Eccho Rights AB on production agreements and co-production agreements with local TV channels and producers.
Boutique firm SULUK INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW FIRM supports a variety of domestic and international clients with intellectual property application, enforcement, strategy, and prosecution matters, with a strong litigation capability. The firm's expertise extends across parents, copyright, and trade mark issues, with a client base including life sciences, media, and retail companies. The team is led by dedicated IP lawyers Cahit Suluk, Bahattin Çarkacı, and Zeynep Balcik.
Cahit Suluk; Bahattin Carkaci; Zeynep Balcik
Led by regulatory and competition-focused counsel Esin Çamlibel, the team at TURUNÇ acts for corporate clients on intellectual property-related transactional, regulatory, and contentious matters. Clients include a number of notable international players in the retail, industrials, and private equity sectors, with matters including Turkish copyright and trade mark applications, enforcement proceedings and strategy, and litigation against counterfeiters and trade mark violators.
‘Esin is a spectacular IP advisor. Her academic background in IP coupled with her commercial experience is second to none.
‘Turunc has a good network of partner law firms across different geographies which help us to understand the implications of some of the key decisions globally. ’
‘Esin Camlibel provides practical counsel on IP throughout Europe. I have recommended Esin to clients of mine and people are very pleased with her.’
Better Homes and Gardens
- Represented human resources platform Peoplise and its majority shareholders in Peoplise’s sale to Logo Software.
- Advised Kuika on a variety of matters, including setting up a global trade mark strategy, developing an intellectual property rights transfer agreement template for employees and drafting numerous software license agreements.
- Continuous IP advice to Al Fakher, including representation against counterfeiters and cybersquatters.
Balcioglu Selçuk Ardiyok Keki advises a diverse client base on intellectual property considerations, including negotiating contracts, policing and enforcing client trade marks, and registering and renewing trade marks, patents, and copyright before the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office. Clients are from the IT, telecoms, defence, advertising, and media sectors. Kağan Dora, Galip Selcuk, and recently promoted partner Mahmut Karyağdı lead the team.
Kağan Dora; Galip Selçuk; Mahmut Karyağdı
‘The firm has been very helpful. Correspondence is clear and prompt.’
‘This team has vast experience in dealing with international business agreements and contracts.’
‘Kagan Dora is my primary contact in the team. He and his team are very capable and he provides very good and powerful written contract language for our agreements and points out rights available to us in difficult and challenging situations.’
Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Türkiye Ürün İhtisas Borsası
Peyman Kuruyemiş Gıda
Yemek Sepeti Elektronik
- Advised Rafineri on a campaign for National Sovereignty and Children’s Day, conducting intellectual property rights transfer agreements, licence agreements with procedures, cast and other IP assets such as a music jingle to be used in the campaign.
- Assisting Colombina with thirteen trade mark renewals at the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office.
- Advised SDT Uzay ve Savunma Teknolojileri on a software license agreement.
IT-focused firm BTS & Partners advises companies with a nexus to the tech industry on Turkish intellectual property considerations, including transactional issues, contracts, copyright and trade mark enforcement, and issues relating to employee inventions. The firm also represents clients in IP litigation. Experienced IT and tech lawyers Yasin Beceni and Tuğrul Sevim lead the team following the departure of Batu Kınıkoğlu to Hamzaoglu Hamzaoglu Kinikoglu Attorney Partnership.
Yasin Beceni; Tugrul Sevim
‘Accessibility and expertise’
‘Mr. Yasin Beceni is really professional, solution oriented and reachable. These are the key points that make him stand out.’
‘Professional team, active and reactive answers, clear and practical advice.’
Microsoft Corp. and Microsoft Turkey
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
- Advised Microsoft on drafting and adapting software licensing agreements with authorised distributors and sellers of Microsoft products as well as on drafting new generation contracts for development and protection of IP rights.
- Advised Lenovo on IP-related matters such as trade mark licensing in sponsorship agreements and legal procedures and means available for avoiding, eliminating and ceasing IP infringements in Turkey, as well as compensation.
- Advising Orrick on various global projects, which involve Turkey as one of the effected jurisdictions, including the drafting and negotiation of many contracts built on the establishment, protection and assignment of IP rights.
Cigdemtekin Cakirca Aranci Law Firm advises clients on trade marks, patents, and copyright issues, including day-to-day regulatory compliance, enforcement, and representation in IP litigation. The firm acts for a range of domestic and international clients within the IT and telecoms sectors, most notably eBay Turkey. The team is led by Ayca Aranci, Tuna Çakırca and Ahmet Münir Yaşar.
Ayça Arancı; Tuna Çakırca; Ahmet Münir Yaşar
ODTÜ Teknokent Yönetim
Verifone Elektronik ve Danışmanlık
Panaroma Bilişim Teknolojileri
ODTÜ MEMS Researcher Centre
ODTÜ Geliştirme Vakfı Okullan
Brensan Enerji Savunma
TRLINSTRUMENTS Proses ve Ekipman Teknolojileri G
Onlayer Bilişim Teknolojileri
Andar Elektromekanik Sistemler
Strata Restorasyon Proje İnşaat
- Advising Gitti Gidiyor on IP matters, conflicts and contracts, including media planning, software developments, service and cooperation agreements.
- Advising Sebit on a day-to-day basis on IP law, including but not limited to brand protection, IP litigation, transfer of IP rights and infringement of IP rights.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke handles intellectual property registration, protection, and enforcement matters for clients in a number of industries, most notably retail and pharmaceuticals. The team works on trade marks, patent, and copyright matters, also representing clients in litigation relating to infringements and disputes over the holding of patents. The team is led by litigators Ayşe Hergüner Bilgen and Tolga Danışman.
Ayşe Hergüner Bilgen; Tolga Danışman
Gates Europe BVBA
OBSS Bilişim Bilgisayar
ATM Beyaz Eşya Parçaları
Polyplex Europa Polyester Film
Olmuksan International Paper Ambalaj
- Drafted an IP transfer agreement for Gates Europe, to be signed by both the client and the previous proprietors of the trade marks, which was a requirement for registering the transfer transaction within the records of the TPTO.
- Advised OBSS on an end-user license agreement.
- Assisted with litigation strategy and represented ATM Beyaz in patent applications.