Firms in the Spotlight Energy
Bozoglu-Izgi Attorney Partnership
The team has a strong energy and infrastructure practice spearheaded by the firm’s partner M. Feridun Izgi who has a long-term industry experience from in-house work within a leading Turkish energy company. Bozoğlu-İzgi provides its local and multinational clients with rapid and independent legal advice to enable them to adopt successful commercial strategies in this …View Profile...
KILINÇ LAW & CONSULTING
Kılınç Law & Consulting, provides legal services in domestic and international areas to nationally and worldly renowned clients operating in multiple sectors. On the field of Energy law has a unique significance for Kılınç Law & Consulting. The Firm specialises in pursuing the application process before public authorities, such as the Ministry of Energy and …View Profile...
Energy in Turkey
Çakmak Attorney Partnership handles the full service of work in the energy field, with expertise in financing, corporate matters and administrative litigation relating to thermal, electric and wind power plants and combined-cycle gas turbine projects. Mesut Çakmak and Zeynep Çakmak head the practice. Other names to note are Cem Çağatay Orak and Mustafa Durakoğlu. Recent highlights include advising Landesbank Baden-Württemberg and KfW on financing the second phase of the Karaburun wind power plant.
Landesbank Baden – Württemberg and KFW IPEX – Bank
Ceska Exportni Bank
Rönesans and Sonatrach
Global Yatırım A.Ş.
Gazprom Schweiz AG (Gazprom)
- Advised Fina Enerji on the 700MW Kınık Thermal Power Project and the adjacent coal mine, particularly with regard to mining, power, project finance and potential partnerships.
- Assisted Akenerji with the development and financing of a greenfield power project, the 900MW Egemer combined-cycle gas turbine project, and represented it in a dispute with the National Power Grid Company over a transmission line.
- Advised Ceska Exportni Banka (Czech Export Bank) on the construction of a coal-fired thermal power plant in Turkey.
Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki handles regulatory compliance and investigations, project finance, energy disputes, renewables, transactions, and contracts and agreements. Greenfield development expert Barlas Balcioğlu heads the team with support from litigator Özgür Akman; M&A and public tender contract specialist Selim Keki; and Şahin Ardıyok, who focuses on infrastructure and competition law. Counsel Ceren Su is also noted. Clients include Statkraft Enerji, İpragaz and Petrol Ofisi.
‘Fast, co-operative and produce quality work.’
‘Practical solutions and energetic approach.’
Bainbridge Holding A.Ş.
Crescent Capital Advisory Ltd
Statkraft Enerji A.Ş.
Yapı ve Kredi Bankası A.Ş.
- Advised Statkraft Enerji on its entrance into the Turkish market, including assisting with structural acquisition strategies.
Boutique energy firm Boden Law advises on project finance, energy disputes and M&A and energy trade transactions, including tolling agreements and commodity trade. Değer Boden jointly heads the team with senior associate Ayşegül Önol, who has experience in regulatory work. Highlights included assisting Axpo Turkey with the restructuring of its energy trade activities, and reviewing general agreements for the European Federation of Energy Traders.
‘Guarantees a high degree of diligence.’
European Federation of Energy Traders
Axpo Trading AG and Axpo Turkey Enerji A.Ş
Talesun Solar Switzerland AG
Gildemeister Energy Solutions
Nordeka Maden A.Ş.
Naturelgaz Sanayi ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi
EWE Turkey Holding A.Ş.
Entek Elektrik Üretimi A.Ş.
- Assisted Smartpulse Teknoloji with structuring an operation agreement for a robotic power plant.
- Advised Gildemeister on its solar power plant projects in Turkey, where the company is acting as EPC contractor.
- Advised APlus Enerji on the sale and transfer of its shares in an energy services software technology company.
Goksu Safi Isik Attorney Partnership handles project finance, acquisitions, EPC contracts and regulatory work in areas across the sector, including nuclear, solar, wind and thermal power. Ali Göksu, Cigdem Bal Ilgin and Mutlu Ozturk Yurdakul are the names to note. The team advised Sonatrach, an Algerian gas company, on a project for the production of polypropylene in a deal worth $1bn. Other clients include Cengiz Energy and Euroasia Gas.
Çayırhan Electricity Plant
- Assisted Sonatrach, an Algerian gas company, with a project in Turkey relating to the dehydrogenation of propane and the production of polypropylene.
- Advised Automotive Machinery Trading Centre on its acquisition of 16 solar power plants in Turkey from Arya Enerji.
- Acted for Cengiz Enerji Anonim Şirketi on its trading of natural gas and natural gas products, and on obtaining permits and licences from the Turkish Energy Market Regulation Authority.
The ‘professional, responsive and receptive’ team at Bezen & Partners handles regulatory and projects work in the nuclear power and oil and gas sectors, with particular strength in privatisation procedures and cross-border matters. Yeşim Bezen, Aykut Bakırcı and Banu Bölükemini jointly head the practice. Recent highlights include advising the Akkuyu nuclear power plant on permits and licensing.
‘Professional, responsive and receptive.’
Akkuyu Nükleer A.Ş.
Public Power Corporation S.A.
PNE AG / PNE Wind Yenilenebilir Enerjiler Ltd. Şti
DNV GL Energy Advisory GmbH
- Acted as Turkish counsel on the Akkuyu Nuclear Power Plant project, the first power plant to be built in Turkey, on issues including regulatory requirements and licensing.
- Advised Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, a Japanese energy and shipping conglomerate, on its partnership with Botaş, a state natural gas company, for a floating liquefied natural gas facility.
Cigdemtekin Cakirca Aranci Law Firm acts for energy companies on M&A transactions, project development, financing, commodities trading, licensing and litigation. The firm has a growing client base in the renewables sector. Ayca Aranci and Gamze Cigdemtekin lead the practice, which also includes Tuna Çakırca. In a recent highlight, the team advised PT Alpha Wind Energi on potential renewable energy projects in Indonesia and Vietnam.
Egeres Enerji Dan. Müh. Hiz. A.Ş.
Bıçakçılar Çandarlı Elektrik Üretim A.Ş.
Age Enerji Group
SOCAR (State Oil Company of Azerbaijan) Turkey Petrol Enerji Dağıtım San. ve Tic. A.Ş.
Egeres Investment Pte. Ltd.
Age Elektrik Enerjisi Toptan Satış A.Ş.
Pt Alpha Wind Energi
- Advised Egeres Energy group on matters including the development of solar and wind energy projects; drafting an environmental impact and challenging a report; regulatory matters; obtaining licences; and M&A contracts.
- Acted for Bıçakçılar Enerji on the development of its wind power project.
- Advised PT Alpha Wind Energi, an Indonesian affiliate of Egeres, on potential renewable energy projects in Indonesia and Vietnam.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International advises on regulatory issues, M&A, and financing in the oil, gas and renewables sectors. Banking and finance expert Muhsin Keskin and M&A specialist Duygu Turgut lead the team. Recent highlights include acting as lead counsel on the sale of a 55% stake in Socar LNG for Socar Dağıtım A.Ş., an affiliate of the Azeri state-owned oil company Socar. Shanghai Electric and Siemens AG are other clients.
SOCAR Turkey Petrol Enerji Dağıtım Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
SOCAR Turkey Enerji A.Ş.
ICA IC İÇTAŞ ASTALDI
Power Construction Corporation of China Ltd.
Zorlu Enerji Elektrik Üretim A.Ş
Shanghai Electric Corporation
Kastamonu Entegre Ağaç San.Tic. A.Ş.
- Acted for Socar Dagıtım, an oil company, on its sale of a majority stake in a liquid natural gas company to Reysas Holding.
- Advised Shanghai Electric Corporation on its entry into the Turkish energy market.
- Assisted Siemens AG and Steag Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH with a competition filing regarding a joint venture regarding the construction and operation of a combined-cycle power plant.
GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case)
GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case) specialises in financing and M&A, on matters including contractual work, due diligence, reorganisations and regulatory advice to investors. Güniz Gokce and Ateş Turnaoğlu lead the team, which recently advised the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and Türkiye Iş Bankası A.Ş. on the financing of solar power plants. Other clients included the International Finance Corporation and ICBC Turkey Bank.
‘Ateş Turnaoğlu is one of the most experienced and innovative energy & projects lawyers in our market.’
‘GKC consistently provides high quality and reliable service.’
‘Highly experienced project teams backed with subject-matter experts, responsive and client-centric management and ability to design tailor-made project finance structure.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Nederlandse Financierings Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (FMO)
Türkiye İş Bankası A.Ş.
Hanwha Q Cells
T.C. Ziraat Bankası
Türkiye Halk Bankası A.Ş.
ICBC Turkey Bank A.Ş.
Türkiye Garantı Bankası A.Ş.
- Acted for the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development Türkiye Iş Bankası A.Ş. on the financing of the 85MW licensed and unlicensed solar power plants of Akfen Yenilenebilir Enerji A.Ş.
- Advised Hanwha Q-Cells on its operation of a 100 MW unlicensed solar portfolio and the sale of its subsidiaries.
- Acted for Vakıfbank, Halkbank and ICBC Turkey as the lenders on a syndicated project financing for three hydroelectric power plants.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke advises on financing, M&A, greenfield development and cross-border transactions. It handles work in the oil and gas, nuclear, mining, natural gas and electricity sectors. Clients include the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan Pipeline Company and South Stream Transport. Recent highlights include assisting Sunfarming with the financing of a solar plan project. Ümit Hergüner and Deniz Tuncel are the practice heads.
Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) Pipeline Company
South Stream Transport B.V.
SUNFARMING Eurasia Enerji Üretim A.Ş.
Mobil Oil Türk A.Ş. (“MOTAŞ”)
- Advised South Stream Transport B.V., a Gazprom-owned company, on matters relating to the Turk Stream natural gas pipeline.
- Represented Motaş, the Turkish division of ExxonMobil, in lawsuits relating to a lease agreement and to land expropriation.
- Advised Sunfarming Eurasia Enerji Üretim A.Ş. on the financing of solar energy projects in Turkey.
Kolcuoglu Demirkan Koçakli advises on natural gas and oil import issues, wholesale and storage matters, the electricity market, greenfield investments and privatisation in the renewable, nuclear, gas and oil sectors. Okan Demirkan heads the practice. In a recent highlight, the team advised Mitsubishi Heavy Industries on the construction of a 4,480MW nuclear power plant to be constructed in Turkey.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
- Advised Mitsubishi Industries on a nuclear power plant to be constructed in Turkey.
- Assisted ET Solutions with prospective disputes arising from EPC contracts and procurement agreements with its employers and subcontractors in relation to solar power plants that it implemented in three different Turkish cities.
- Advised Hun Holding on the sale of its two subsidiaries, which operate in solar energy production, to a venture capital firm.
Paksoy’s energy and natural resources practice has a core focus on oil and gas, electricity, and mining and minerals. The group handles M&A, construction and supply contracts, project finance, operation and maintenance agreements and regulatory issues, among others. Zeynel Tunç, who is recommended for his ‘negotiation skills’, heads the team. Clients include Rosatom, Enerjisa and Akfen.
- Advised Rosatom on an EPC contract related to the Akkuyu nuclear power plant.
- Assisted Yapısan Elektrik Üretim Anonim Şirketi with the acquisition of OMV Gas & Power GmbH.
- Advised Akfen on regulatory matters connected to four wind farms.
Pelister Atayilmaz Enkur Law Office has a particular focus on renewable energy projects, including solar, biogas and geothermal. The practice handles restructuring and outbound investment. Emre Keki, Gökhan Enkür and Kerim Pelister are the key contacts. Clients include Shell, Al Enerji and Enerjisa.
- Ongoing advice to Shell Turkey.
- Advised Alpiq Turkey on its operations in the Turkish electricity market.
- Assisted Al Enerji with its acquisition of a Spanish brownfield solar energy project.
Yazici Attorney Partnership specialises in the energy sector and handles matters including production sharing, rehabilitation, joint operating, farm-in/farm-out, tax royalty and buy-back agreements and service agreements. Other areas of focus include energy-related construction and supply and installation contracts. Murat Yazici, Nihal Berker Atlı and Bilge Müftüoğlu jointly lead the team. Recent highlights include advising the Ghazanfar Group on an oil and gas exploration project in Afghanistan.
‘Well-established team with in-depth knowledge and experience.’
‘They are able to explain any legal situation to people like myself without a legal background.’
Marsa (Marsa Turkey B.V.)
Taq Taq Operating Company Limited (TTOPCO)
AGE Enerji Üretim A.Ş.
HDM Dis Ticaret A.Ş.
Türkerler İnşaat Turizm Madencilik Enerji Üretim A.Ş.
- Advised Entrepose on negotiating an EPC contract for a natural gas storage facility.
- Assisted Marsa Turkey with a natural gas sale purchase agreement.
- Advised Rowan on a contract for a two-well contract in the Mediterranean Sea awarded by Turkish Petroleum Corporation.
Deliveli Alp Law & Consultancy
Deliveli Alp Law & Consultancy handles regulatory issues, project structuring, EPC contracts and project financing. Işıl Yılmaz heads the team, which also includes Lale Deliveli Alp. Clients include Borusan EnBW Enerji and Ceiba Enerji Yatırım Anonim Şirketi.
Borusan ENBW Enerji
Ceiba Enerji Yatırım Anonim Şirketi
- Advised Borusan EnBW Enerji on agreements with GE Wind Energy GmbH and General Elektrik Ticaret over the construction of Saros wind farm.
- Assisted Ceiba Enerji Yatırım Anonim Şirketi with design, engineering and procurement contracts related to several solar power projects totalling 50MW.
Erdem & Erdem Law Office advises on natural gas-, coal-, and oil-fired power plants, co-generation facilities, hydroelectric projects, and wind, solar and other renewable energy projects. Areas of expertise include negotiating and drafting EPCs, privatisation, renewables, PPPs and project financing. Ercüment Erdem and Özgür Kocabaşoğlu are the practice heads.
Yıldırım Enerji Holding A.Ş.
Türkiye Şişe ve Cam Fabrikaları A.Ş. (Şişecam)
Aktor Arbiogaz JV
- Advised Yıldırım Enerji on the construction of power plants in Turkey.
Kesikli Law Firm advises on issues surrounding the natural gas market, the electricity market, coal and other mineral extractions and licenses, feed-in tariffs, power plant projects and renewables. Omer Kesikli leads the team. Gul Nevra Aydin and Rustu Mert Kaska are also recommended. In a recent highlight, the practice assisted Aggreko Energy with regulatory issues.
STEAG Energy Services GmbH
KS Energy Africa
Pales Engineering Investments
- Advised Aggreko Energy on regulatory issues concerning its Turkish energy operations.
- Assisted KS Energy Africa with contracts for a 141MW brownfield gas-fired power plant.
- Advised Pales Engineering Investments on the development of biogas power plant projects.
The ‘dynamic’ practice at Moroglu Arseven handles transactional and regulatory matters in the energy industry, including license applications, power purchase agreements, asset financing, cross-border energy distribution and stock financing related to energy commodities. Benan Arseven heads the team. Other names to note are Burcu Tuzcu Ersin and C. Hazal Baydar.