Firms in the Spotlight Compliance
Bozoglu-Izgi Attorney Partnership
Bozoğlu-İzgi also advises its multinational clients on direct selling and multi-level marketing law in Turkey. The firm advises its clients on their day to day business activities in relation to various matters including but not limited to permission procedures, distribution contracts, promotion activities, custom controls and product liability. Its experience in the regulatory area also …View Profile...
Compliance in Turkey
Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki's team comprises of a mix of economists, regulatory experts and academics. It assists clients with competition-related audits and mock dawn raids, data protection, anti-bribery investigations and consumer protection issues, among other matters. Clients include large multinational corporates and domestic businesses. Selim Keki jointly leads the team with Şahin Ardıyok. Associate Armanç Canbeyli, who recently joined from Kolcuoglu Demirkan Koçakli, is also recommended.
Selim Keki; Şahin Ardıyok
‘Institutional background and commercial thinking’.
Bidfood Dağıtım ve Pazarlama
Kinetic Concepts, Inc.
Frontier Credit Partners
Kazancı Holding (Aksa)
- Providing Indigo Agriculture with regulatory advice on requirements applicable to the import and placing on the market of plant protection products, fertilisers and seed materials. The firm advises on a broad range of matters, including licensing, registration and labelling of agricultural products.
- Assisting one of the largest natural gas and electricity firms in Turkey with an extensive compliance programme.
- Assisting Henkel’s BProf/Schwarzkopf business and adhesives business with an extensive competition compliance programme. This involves carrying out mock dawn raids and interviews with the senior management and key executives, reviewing distribution agreements and preparing a detailed report on outcomes and key actions of the compliance programme.
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law advises clients on a broad cross-section of compliance issues, including those connected with anti-corruption, data protection, data privacy, government investigations, trade secrets and competition law. Clients include Turkish businesses and multinational companies based in the US, EU and UK. Gönenç Gürkaynak co-leads the team with counsels Ceren Yıldız and Damla Dogancali. İlay Yılmaz departed for Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International.
Gönenç Gürkaynak; Ceren Yildiz; Damla Dogancali
Ralph Lauren Europe Sàrl
Mizuho Bank Group
Giochi Preziosi Turkey
Google Turkey (Google Reklamcılık ve Pazarlama Ltd. Şti)
Mobil Oil Turkey
MARSH Turkey (MARSH Sigorta ve Reasurans Brokerligi)
Argus Information and Advisory Services
Allianz Sigorta A.Ş.
TI Automotive Turkey
Associated British Foods
Harvard Business School
Media Markt Turkey Tic. Ltd. Şti. (MediaMarkt Turkey)
Air Liquide Gaz Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S. (Air Liquide)
Lanxess Kimya Tic. Ltd. Şti.
- Providing Google with legal assistance in relation to compliance with Turkish data protection laws.
- Advising Lauren Europe Sàrl on the transfer of the client’s employees and customers’ personal data outside of Turkey.
- Assisting L’Oréal with reviewing and revising agreements to comply with Turkish data protection legislation.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International's compliance team operates alongside the IT, commercial, tax, competition and IP departments to provide a full range of services to clients. The firm assists clients with a wide range of compliance issues, including those relating to anti-corruption, anti-bribery, trade sanctions, export controls, money laundering and white-collar crime. Its strong capabilities see it act for clients in sectors such as infrastructure, defence, energy, hospitality, life sciences, manufacturing and finance. The head of the team is Birtürk Aydın, who assists clients with internal compliance investigations, M&A-related due diligence and compliance training sessions. Senior associate Kerem Kuşcu is also recommended, as is İlay Yılmaz, who was hired from ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law.
European Investment Bank
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Gama Holding A.S.
PepsiCo Turkey Group
- Assisted a client with uncovering an internal organised crime scheme that was focused on manipulating stocks and financial records to generate illegal funds.
- Assisted a client with carrying out a multijurisdictional investigation into alleged embezzlement and breach of trade sanctions. Practitioners in Washington DC, Germany and Turkey worked together to advise the client on compliance, tax, employment and litigation matters.
- Acted for a client in an investigation into a famous sports club, which involved a number of allegations, including embezzlement and illegal payments to public officials.
Gün + Partners fields a a multidisciplinary team, which works closely with experts in sectors such as insurance, life sciences, energy, TMT, construction and real estate to cover a wide spectrum of compliance matters. One notable specialism of the group concerns business crimes and anti-corruption; Barış Zühdü Kalaycı, who jointly heads up the practice with Pelin Baysal, has 20 years of experience in this space. Managing associate Filiz Toprak Esin is another key figure.
Barış Zühdü Kalaycı; Pelin Baysal
‘The team has unique skill of providing high quality legal advice while understanding the business needs’.
‘In the field of compliance, the knowledge, competence and solution-oriented focus of the whole team is remarkable’.
‘Filiz Toprak Esin has always provided excellent knowledge about compliance; she is quick to analyze compliance, legal and ethics problem and provide practical, business-oriented results’.
‘Barış is creative, convincing and a fierce fighter’.
Kolcuoglu Demirkan Koçakli's group is knowledgeable about anti-corruption, anti-bribery, data privacy and governance, among other areas. It acts for clients in the context of cross-border investigations, and also provides risk management and preventative advice (including training for professionals and upper-level management). Clients include domestic and international businesses in the finance, insurance, audit, energy and infrastructure sectors. Team head Okan Demirkan has extensive experience of dealing with Turkish regulatory authorities.
‘The practice combines quality legal advice with strong client handling skills’.
‘The KDK lawyers are easy to work with, and focused on creating solutions that are in the clients’ interest’.
‘The house style is pragmatic, unpretentious and friendly, whilst being results-oriented’.
‘Okan Demirkan has a lot of bandwidth and gives great client service – he is very responsive and understands issues from a client´s viewpoint’.
‘Good at thinking strategically about contentious matters and developing solutions to resolve them.
‘İnci Karcılıoğlu gets to grips with her clients issues and leaves no stone unturned; she combines a very analytical approach with a practical understanding of the needs of her clients’ business’.
Marsh & McLennan Companies
Fresenius Kabi AG
GEA Group AG
Iyzico Easy Payment
ArcelorMittal RZK Çelik
Boston Consulting Group (subsidiary in Turkey)
Bunzl Plc (subsidiaries in Turkey)
- Advising Hugo Boss’ Turkish subsidiaries on their compliance with Turkish personal data protection legislation.
- Advising all Turkish subsidiaries of Magneti Marelli on their compliance with Turkish personal data protection legislation and the preparation of their standard codes of conduct.
- Advising Duracell’s Turkish subsidiary on its compliance with Turkish personal data protection legislation and the preparation of its personal data protection compliance package.
Moroglu Arseven assists clients with formulating regulatory compliance strategies and risk mitigation, as well as conduct investigations. The extensive experience of its team is reflected by its work for clients in sectors such as healthcare, fintech, e-commerce, media, advertising, gambling and industrial. Burcu Tuzcu Ersin has expertise in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the UK Bribery Act, among other areas. Ersin jointly leads the group with Z. Ertunç Şirin, E. Seyfi Moroğlu and E. Benan Arseven. Orçun Çetinkaya left the firm.
Burcu Tuzcu Ersin; Z. Ertunç Şirin; E. Seyfi Moroğlu; E. Benan Arseven
- Advised ISS Turkey on developing, implementing and monitoring a comprehensive, end-to-end, local data protection compliance programme, covering all departments and service units of the company.
Ersoy Bilgehan Lawyers & Consultants advises on data protection, cybersecurity, compliance programmes and IT-related issues, among other matters. Clients include start-ups and international blue chip businesses. The firm generates mandates from the finance, maritime and insurance sectors. The team is jointly led by Zihni Bilgehan and İlknur Pekşen.
Zihni Bilgehan; Ilknur Peksen
Neler Bedava (Freegy)
Zenith Ship Management
- Advising China Telecom on licensing requirements in Turkey, as well as day-to-day matters concerning its local branch.
- Advised a multinational video games company on data protection issues under human resources processes and procedures.
- Advised a multinational technology company on the data protection and regulatory aspects of a new project.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke's compliance work is primarily derived from its white-collar crime and investigations practice, where the firm advises clients on issues connected with fraudulent tender practices, insider trading, tax fraud, qualified fraud, and FCPA and UK anti-bribery investigations. Elsewhere, other compliance mandates are generated by other departments, including banking and finance, capital markets and competition. The firm is adept at handling data protection matters, including cross-border data transfers, data breaches, SARs and representing clients before local ministries and independent agencies including the Ethics Board of the Public Servants. On the general compliance front, the team advises on compliance training, the preparation of due diligence reports, writing company policies and policy reviews. The team is jointly led by Kayra Üçer, Ufuk Yalçın, Deniz Tuncel, Yeşim Aiı Şamlı and Bige Yücel.
Kayra Üçer; Ufuk Yalçın; Deniz Tuncel; Yeşim Aiı Şamlı; Bige Yücel
OBSS Bilişim Bilgisayar Hizmetleri Danışmanlık Sanayi ve Ticaret Limited Şirketi
Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.
Hitachi Industry & Control Solutions, Ltd.
Inal Kama Avukatlik Ortakligi
Inal Kama Avukatlik Ortakligi (formerly known as Bilgiç Attorney Partnership) advises clients on matters such as data privacy (including data breaches), anti-money laundering, white-collar irregularities, anti-bribery and anti-corruption matters, as well as general compliance issues. Olgu Kama, who joined from ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law, jointly leads the team with Ekin İnal. Clients include domestic and multinational businesses.
Olgu Kama; Ekin İnal
‘They are valuable partners in assisting companies in internal investigations’.
‘They are always available when needed and they always try to deliver more than they are expected, they are overachievers’.
‘Olgu Kama is an excellent work partner, she takes her job very seriously and really owns what she is doing, she can be trusted to value your company’s work as it is her own’.