Firms in the Spotlight Competition
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law delivers the top competition law practice in Turkey with 45 competition law specialists, out of a total of 90 lawyers at ELIG Gürkaynak. In addition to unparalleled experience in merger control issues, ELIG Gürkaynak has vast experience in defending companies before the Turkish Competition Board in all phases of antitrust investigations, abuse …View Profile...
Competition in Turkey
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law's team has extensive expertise in a full range of competition issues, including merger reviews, restrictive agreements and abuses of dominance. It has a strong track record representing clients in investigations brought by the Turkish Competition Authority (TCA). Clients include multinational and Turkish companies. Team head Gönenç Gürkaynak has over 20 years of competition law experience, and is recommended for his merger control expertise. The group also includes Burcu Can, who made partner.
Borealis AG, Nova Chemicals and Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA
The Michelin Group (Compagnie Générale des Etablissements Michelin)
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
Celanese Sales Germany GmbH
Marsh & McLennan Companies
Kongsberg Gruppen ASA
KLX Aerospace Solutions
Google Inc, Google International LLC and Google Turkey
Mey İçki (a subsidiary of Diageo)
Edenred Kurumsal Çözümler
Sahibinden (a Turkish e-commerce platform connecting buyers and sellers)
Warner Bros. Turkey
Advent International Corporation
General Electric Company
Rolls-Royce Holdings plc.
The Walt Disney Company
- Advising The Walt Disney Company on the circa $71.3bn acquisition of sole control of certain businesses of Twenty-First Century Fox.
- Acted for Mercedes-Benz Türk in a lengthy investigation into its alleged abusive conduct in the market for trucks on which a concrete pump can be mounted.
- Advised Thales S.A and Gemalto NV on Thales’ €4.8bn acquisition of Gemalto N.V.
ACTECON is a boutique competition and international trade firm that offers expertise in antitrust and merger control issues, competition compliance programmes, regulatory matters and international trade remedy issues. The team generates mandates in a broad range of sectors, including banking, chemicals, media and entertainment, telecoms, insurance and FMCG. One of the co-heads of the team is Bahadir Balki , who is recommended for cartel and abuse of dominance investigations. Fevzi Toksoy also co-heads the group.
‘Actecon has extensive experience in competition law and a depth of knowledge of representing defendants and complainants in complex antitrust investigations’.
‘The Actecon team is accessible whenever you need them’.
‘They show great patience to the employers while preparing answers to the requests of the Competition Authority’.
‘Actecon is composed of very good practitioners of competition law and they are very reactive and relevant in their advice’.
‘Fevzi Toksoy is brilliant, reactive, and understands very well and anticipates the needs of issues of his client’.
‘The team takes careful diligence of the important competition situation at hand and really works like the client is their own company’.
‘Bahadir Balki and Fevzi Toksoy have assisted us in numerous competition law-related issues and they are real professionals who can explain the complicated legal matters to everyone at our firm in a really simple way’.
Ak-Kim Kimya San. ve Tic. A.S.
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
- Acted for Essilor International on the Turkish merger control procedure before the TCA in the €48.5bn Luxottica/Essilor global merger.
- Acted for Daimler AG before the Turkish Competition Authority in the merger control proceedings, where Daimler AG and Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. Ltd. established a joint venture in China to operate in the field of battery electric vehicles.
- Acted for LG Chem and Geely on the Turkish merger control procedure before the TCA for the establishment of a joint venture to manufacture lithium ion batteries used in electrical vehicles.
Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki's team excels in representing domestic and multinational companies before the Turkish Competition Authority (TCA) in on the spot inspections, behavioural investigations and merger control matters. The firm acts for clients in sectors such as energy, financial services, automotive, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and retail. Şahin Ardıyok co-heads the team with Bora İkiler and recently promoted counsel Evren Sesli. Associate Dilara Yesilyaprak is also recommended.
‘Both Sahin Ardiyok and Evren Sesli have deep knowledge about competition law and practices’.
‘They are open to evaluating new ideas and they can work closely in collaboration with business teams to understand their needs’.
‘Their services have been appreciated by all of our teams who were involved in projects with them’.
‘Sahin Ardiyok and Bora İkiler are outstanding individuals to work with, they are always very responsive and to the point, they understand business needs very well and respond effectively to all requests’.
Enerjisa (a JV of Sabancı Holding and Eon Energy)
Gitti Gidiyor (e-Bay Turkey)
Turkven Private Equity
Yemek Sepeti (Delivery Hero Turkey)
Total Marketing Services
İpragaz (SHV Gas Turkey)
Bozlu Holding (Varinak)
Koenig & Bauer
Bank Pozitif (Unlu Yatırım)
Cougar Drilling Solutions
Taxim Capital Advisers
National Commercial Bank
Doğan Holding (D&R)
Telecommunications Regulatory Authority
Petkim Petrokimya Holding
Assan (Kibar Holding)
Petrol Ofisi (Vitol Turkey)
Stadler Rail Management
Johnson & Johnson Turkey
- Advising Multinet on competition law matters as well as regulatory obligations of meal card/coupon companies and conducting a competition compliance program.
- Advising Lesaffre (which is undergoing administrative reviews due to a merger with its competitor in 2014) on a preliminary investigation initiated by the Turkish Competition Authority against the yeast producer.
- Conducting an extensive competition compliance program for Henkel’s BProf/Schwarzkopf business and adhesives business, by way of carrying out mock dawn raids and interviews with the senior management and key executives, reviewing distribution agreements and preparing a detailed report on outcomes and key actions of the compliance programme.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International is adept at handling cross-border merger control filings, competition compliance programmes, day-to-day competition matters and representing clients before the TCA. The firm acts for domestic and international companies in the telecoms, pharmaceuticals, insurance, online retail, steel, logistics, petrochemicals, energy and electronics sectors. Zümrüt Esin leads the team, which includes senior associate Sinan Diniz.
PepsiCo Turkey / Frito-Lay
British American Tobacco (BAT Turkey)
Banvit Bandirma Vitaminli Yem Sanayii A.Ş
Sumitomo Mitsui Auto Service Company Ltd.
IQVIA (formerly known as IMS Health Turkey)
Lotte Advanced Materials
Paksoy's client roster includes entities from sectors such as financial services, chemicals, real estate, food and beverages, and TMT. The firm has a broad competition practice, which includes antitrust investigations involving allegations of cartels and abuses of dominance, dawn raids, competition litigation, day-to-day advice, compliance and merger control. Team head Togan Turan assists clients with merger filings, antitrust investigations and competition training. In a notable development, Gülçin Dere joined as counsel from an in-house role at the TCA. Derya Genç left the firm.
Liberty House Group
- Advised Dana on the Turkish merger filing relating to its acquisition of 100% of the Oerlikon’s drive systems business.
- Providing antitrust compliance guidelines for the local Panasonic team.
- Advised KKR on the Turkish merger filing relating to the acquisition of joint control in LCY Chemicals, a global petrochemicals company based in Taipei, Thailand.
Erdem & Erdem Law Office advises clients on European Union and Turkish competition law issues. The scope of its practice includes behavioural investigations, compliance programs, contracts and distributorship systems, and commercial regulation. It generates work from clients in sectors such as food and beverages, health, FMCG, retail, steel, construction and energy. Mert Karamustafaoglu, who was promoted to partner, jointly leads the team with Ercüment Erdem.
‘Their communication is strong and results oriented’.
‘A well-established team, often instructed by clients for competition investigations, and also knowledgeable in a broader spectrum of competition work’.
‘Erdem & Erdem is accessible, cost-effective and prompt’.
‘Mert Karamustafaoğlu is a former specialist at Turkish Competition Authority and provides insight knowledge of the Competition Authority and how its decisions are made’.
Türkiye Şişe ve Cam Fabrikaları A.Ş. (Şişecam)
İş Bank (Türkiye İş Bankası) – Turkey’s largest bank
Çelik Motor Tic. A.Ş.
BMC – one of the largest commercial vehicle manufacturers in Turkey.
Carrefoursa Carrefour Sabancı Ticaret Merkezi A.Ş.
Gemlik Gübre Sanayii A.Ş.
Trakya Cam Sanayii A.Ş.
Indeks Bilgisayar Sistemleri Mühendislik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş
Dorak Turizm ve Gayrimenkul Yatırımları A.Ş.
Le-Co Deri Turizm ve San. A.Ş.
Co DMC Turizm ve Ticaret Ltd. Şti.
Atmosfer Balonculuk Ticaret Turizm Ltd. Şti.
Gökyüzü Balonculuk Hizmetleri Taş. Tur. Tic. Ltd. Şti.
Kapadokya Balonculuk Turizm Ticaret Ltd. Şti.
Sultan Balonculuk Havacılık Tur. Rek. Ltd. Şti.
Şeref Turizm ve Tic. Ltd. Şti.
Akben Turizm Seyahat ve Tic. A.Ş.,
Stüdyo Turizm Taş. ve Tic. A.Ş.,
Deluks Turizm San. ve Tic. A.Ş.,
DLX Seyahat Acentalığı ve Tic. A.Ş.,
GNM Turizm Tic. Ltd. Şti.
Bankalararası Kart Merkezi
ASF Ses Işık ve Görüntü Sistemleri A.Ş.
Marmara Kağıt ve Ambalaj Sanayi ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi
Guccio Gucci S.p.A.(Gucci)
Hugo Boss AG
- Representing Carrefoursa Carrefour Sabancı Ticaret Merkezi Anonim Şirketi in an investigation launched by the Turkish Competition Board into allegations that organised FMCG retailers have violated competition legislations.
- Representing Gemlik Gübre Sanayii A.Ş. in an investigation launched by the Turkish Competition Board into allegations that fertiliser suppliers have violated competition legislation by way of exchanging information.
- Assisting ASF Ses Işık ve Görüntü Sistemleri A.Ş. with the merger control filing submitted to the Turkish Competition Authority in relation to the client’s proposed acquisition of its competitor SF Ses ve Işık Sistemleri A.Ş.
GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case)
GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case) advises on M&A-related competition matters including merger filings, vertical agreements, license agreements, individual exemption applications and investigations conducted by the TCA. It is also adept at handling cartel matters and preliminary investigations launched by the TCA into anticompetitive behaviour. Clients include multinationals and domestic firms. Counsel Sezin Elçin-Cengiz heads the team and perviously worked for over a decade of experience working at the TCA.
Turkish Banks Association
Mayhoola for Investments LLC
British United Provident Association (BUPA)
ÜNSPED Customs Consultancy and Logistics Services Inc.
- Represented Eaton Corporation for merger filings in Turkey related to its acquisition of 82.275% shares in and sole control of Ulusoy Elektrik İmalat Taahhüt ve Ticaret A.Ş.
- Provided extensive competition law advice to Turkish Banks Association (“TBB”) in relation to the assessment of syndicated loan and club loan arrangements from competition law perspective and providing guidance on the rules to be taken into consideration in Turkey based on EU and UK applications.
- Represented Goldman Sachs for merger filings in Turkey in relation to its acquisition of approx. 33% shares in Modanisa Elektronik Mağazacılık ve Tic. A.Ş.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke’s competition and antitrust team acts for clients on mock investigations, dawn raids, multijurisdictional merger reviews and other M&A-related competition matters. The firm generates a significant flow of work, owing to its strong client following of Turkish and global companies. Kayra Üçer jointly leads the team with associate Süleyman Cengiz.
Adel Kalemcilik Ticaret Sanayi Anonim Şirketi
Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd.
Bristol Myers Squibb
CNH Industrial NV
Olmuksan International Paper
Kalenakliyat Seyahat ve Turizm A.Ş.
- Represented Kale Nakliyat Seyahat ve Turizm in connection with a TCA investigation for anti-competitive conduct in the Ro-Ro business.
- Represented UPS Turkey in a TCA investigation into allegedly anticompetitive conduct carried out in the postal/cargo delivery services and transportation market.
- Assisted Securitas AB with obtaining approval from the TCA for a transaction with a major competitor that involved the takeover of a well-established domestic competitor.
ZESA Attorney Partnership
ZESA Attorney Partnership's workload includes TCA investigations, merger notifications, individual exemption and negative clearance applications, competition compliance programmes and day-to-day competition advice. Other areas of expertise include cartel-related litigation, licensing agreements, cooperation agreements, non-compete clauses, and distribution and supply agreements. The firm acts for clients in industries such as pharmaceuticals, banking, medical devices, automotive, energy, manufacturing, food and beverage and transportation. Efser Zeynep Ergün and Sibel Yılmaz Atik are joint heads of the team.
Air France-KLM S.A. (through WSGR referral)
ORIX Aviation Systems Limited (through Linklaters referral)
KME AG (through Linklaters referral)
Deutsche Lufthansa AG (through Linklaters referral)
- Acted for Lufthansa on the creation of a joint venture with LG Electronics Inc.
- Acted for KME AG on the acquisition of sole control over MKM Mansfelder Kupfer and Messing GmbH.
- Acted for ORIX Aviation Systems Limited on the acquisition of a 30% joint controlling interest in Avolon Holdings Limited.
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership's group is experienced in drafting and reviewing vertical and horizontal agreements, and handling pre-investigations and investigations initiated by the TCA and the Ministry of Economy over anti-dumping or safeguard procedures. It also assists clients with formulating and implementing competition and compliance training programmes, and TCA merger filings. It acts for clients in sectors such as insurance, steel and food and beverages. Arpat Şenocak, who is dual Turkish and Swiss law-qualified, is the head of the team.
Ak Gida Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S.
AXA Sigorta A.Ş.
BNP Paribas Cardif Hayat Sigorta A.Ş.
Electronics for Imaging B.V.
Gestamp North Europe Services S.L.
Cepas Galvaniz Demir Celik Madencilik Insaat Nakliye Ticaret ve Sanayi A.S
NN Hayat ve Emeklilik A.Ş.
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Teb Portföy Yönetimi A.S.
Yakamoz Yağ Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
- Advised Ak Gıda (Turkish affiliate of Lactalis) on the acquisition of two dairy production facilities belonging to Gürler Group located in Tire/Izmir. This included filing a merger notification to the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Advising Renault Trucks on all aspects of competition law matters, including the review of vertical agreements and their compliance with Turkish competition legislation, especially the Block Exemption Communiqué on Vertical Agreements in Motor Vehicles’ sector numbered 2017/3 and respective guidelines.
- Advised ThermoScientfic on a competition investigation initiated by the TCA against its Turkish authorised distributors for the abuse of their dominant position in DNA sequence analysis machines.
Gün + Partners demonstrates strong capabilities assisting clients with regulatory issues, merger filings, compliance programmes and issues arising from distribution agreements and tenders. It also represents clients before the TCA in behavioural investigations, and also with managing preliminary queries from the authority. The team acts for multinational companies, local businesses and industry associations from a wide range of industries; areas of activity include life sciences, manufacturing, consumer, TMT, insurance and energy. Özge Atılgan Karakulak, who has 15 years of competition experience, leads the team.
‘When the current market is evaluated, it can be stated that the law firm meets expectations from aspects such as knowledge, sectoral experience, accessibility and client-friendly approach’.
- Advising a global pharmaceutical company on its exit from the Turkish market by transferring marketing authorisation of pharma products to its business partner in Turkey.
TURUNÇ advises on various competition matters, including policy and agreement reviews, competition law reviews and merger clearances by the TCA. Its portfolio of work spans a multitude of industries, with the automotive and apparel sectors being notable areas of strength. Founding partner Noyan Turunç jointly leads the team alongside counsel Esin Çamlibel.
International Container Terminal Services
Vinci Venture Capital
- Ongoing advice to Opel on the full range of its competition law issues in Turkey.
- Advising BigChefs on its franchise agreements.
- Advising Camper Shoes on a wide range of competition law matters.