ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law is renowned in the Turkish competition market, advising a variety of blue-chip clients including Bain Capital and United Technologies on merger control filings and regulatory issues. The team also has a strong record in representing high-profile clients in competition investigations before Turkish and European courts. The team is led by the highly experienced and well-regarded Gönenç Gürkaynak. The team also benefits from an in-house economist and several former TCA practitioners among its ranks. International trade and cartel specialists Ceren Özkanlı Samlı and Onur Özgümüş were promoted to counsel. Counsel Baris Yuksel joined from Dentons. Senior associate Dilara Yeşilyaprak was a new arrival in late 2020.
Firms in the Spotlight Competition
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law
ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law delivers the top competition law practice in Turkey with 45 competition law specialists, out of a total of 90 lawyers at ELIG Gürkaynak. In addition to unparalleled experience in merger control issues, ELIG Gürkaynak has vast experience in defending companies before the Turkish Competition Board in all phases of antitrust investigations, abuse …View Profile...
Competition in Turkey
Other key lawyers:
Ceren Özkanlı Samli; Onur Özgümüş; Baris Yuksel; Dilara Yesilaprak
‘ELIG has a deep expertise and experience especially in competition law area. They have a strong and dedicated team who is committed to deliver high quality output with a business mindset, they always act as a solution partner, showing the most delicate and risky points to help the client take right decisions in turbulent environment. ’
‘Working with Gonenc & Oznur and their team is a comfort for us considering their experience in the field and great dispute resolution skills. The complicated dispute resolution matters can be solved easily due to their intelligence and ability to deal with the legal problems. They are great at specific regulations related to the competition law matters and always into the daily matters and never misses to inform us regarding the crucial legal developments especially competition law matters.’
‘Very good connection to relevant authorities.’
‘Gonenc Gurkaynak and his competition law team, consider the topic not only on a legal basis but also from a business standpoint. They understand what the company needs.’
‘Competition law is a subject most of the in-house teams do not have sufficient sources or capabilities. Peers would like to understand the depth of experience of the team and also if they have international experience and capabilities. ELIG Gurkaynak is known internationally and has such experience.’
‘Gonenc Gurkaynak is well-know on his deep knowledge in competition law, he is also an academician who teaches the subject. He and his his team are very responsive.
‘Best in class on competition law expertise, not only locally but internationally as well. They have the largest team of competition lawyers. Partner availability is very good. Responsive, they are very hand on and respond in timely manner. ’
‘The main partner Gonenc Gurkaynak is an authority in his field. Rest of the partners complement him. ’
United Technologies Corporation
Warner Bros Home Entertainment
Motion Picture Association
Brookfield Asset Management
Oaktree Capital Group
PETRONAS Chemicals Group
Advent International Corporation
Bain Capital Investors
Elanco Animal Health
Warner Bros. Turkey Film
Türkiye Çimento Müstahsilleri Birliği
Çimentaş İzmir Çimento Fabrikası
- Advised United Technologies Corporation on its acquisition of sole control over Raytheon Company by way of an all-stock merger.
- Advised Advent and Cinven on the acquisition of joint control over Thyssenkrupp Elevator AG.
- Advised Synthomer on the acquisition of sole control over Omnova Solutions.
Boutique competition and international trade firm ACTECON has extensive experience of proceedings led by the Turkish Competition Authority and European Commission, including merger clearances, abuse of dominance cases, and investigations relating to retail pricing. The firm has seen a heavy increase in digital economy work in recent years, adding notable clients such as Facebook to its existing stable of major Turkish and international companies in the retail, heavy industrials, and logistics sectors. KEy contacts in the team include Bahadir Balki, who is highly regarded for his expertise in cartel and abuse of dominance matters, and Fevzi Toksoy.
Bahadir Balki; Fevzi Toksoy
‘I believe Actecon has an excellent mix of very competent lawyers who know the competition practice but a very wide array of experience in the industries side and has given strong comfort to us during our work together.’
‘Actecon’s experts in competition law are excellent practitioners, very good experts, but on top of that they understand the clients needs and also try to find the appropriate solution which will fit with the TCA requirements and the international clients ways of seeing things and projects. High adaptability, available with great spirit within the team.’
‘Fevzi Toksoy is an excellent expert, with good feeling in his relationships with the TCA and the case teams, as well as with the client. He is able to reassure clients difficult steps and bring appropriate solutions.’
‘Very hands-on, driven and business-oriented. ’
‘Bahadir Balki is experienced and displays excellent judgment and commitment. His advice is to the point and actionable. ’
‘ It is always easy to reach them. You always know that they are here to support you. Also they are really good at job follow-ups. It is impossible to miss the deadline while working with them. ’
‘Strong practice leader in Bahadir Balki; they really know the Competition Authority and its practice and give clear, practical advice.’
‘Bahadir Balki has enormous experience with the TCA and gives strong strategic advice.’
Samsung Electronics- Turkey
Sinochem Investment Development Co.
WATSONS Group- Turkey
- Advised Bombardier Transportation on the acquisition of Bombardier by GEC Alstom. The global deal value is $6.7bn.
- Advised Worldline on the acquisition of Ingenico Group. The global deal value is $8.7bn.
- Advised GIC Realty Group on acquisition of Parks Bottom Real Estate Holdings. The global deal value is $1.6bn.
Balcioglu Selçuk Ardiyok Keki is noted for its experience of competition law and is also recognised for its in-house expertise in economic analysis. Clients include major Turkish corporates and subsidiaries of multinational businesses. The team handles merger control proceedings, exemption applications, and TCA investigations into abuse of dominance, retail pricing, and cartel allegations. A new area of focus is IT, with new clients and personnel focusing on the use of technology in competition proceedings. Competition and antitrust specialist Şahin Ardıyok leads the team, alongside Bora Ikiler.
Şahin Ardıyok; Bora İkiler
‘Sahin Ardiyok has a deep expertise in the competition law practice, we are glad to work with him. ’
‘Unsurpassed depth and breadth of knowledge and experience. Always available. Prompt turnaround. Clear, commercial, guidance. They are truly trusted partners.’
‘The BASEAK Competition team understands needs of the business very well and they are also very proactive. Their advice is timely and to the point. ’
‘A law firm providing high quality legal services and high quality work. A client may feel free whenever needs to reach lawyers of the firm who are maintaining a positive approach in all transactions to best serve the needs of the clients. ’
‘A law firm with an experienced and collaborative team having its client to make the right decision and executing them in the healthiest way possible.’
‘Team is very experienced, punctual. They can provide good work within strict deadlines and they are always accessible in case of urgent need.’
‘Relatively big team in Competition Law area. Diversified capabilities. Cross-border cooperation with Dentons teams as an advantage over pure locals. ’
‘Sahin Ardiyok is a very good partner who always brings in new ideas and appreciates the business aspect of discussions. I trust his expertise and it is always an eye opening discussion with him when I bring new subjects to him. Bora Ikiler is a very hard working, responsive lawyer who is always available to help and support. He is also very business minded and practical in his work which I really appreciate.’
Johnson and Johnson
- Advising to Johnson & Johnson on competition matters, including restructuring of business and accompanying negative exemptions.
- Advising BASF Turkey on competition law compliance and practice specific needs on a regular basis.
- Representing DYO in relation to the investigation that the Turkish Competition Authority has launched for resale price maintenance allegations and the restrictions of passive sales.
In Early 2020, Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International strengthened its competition team with the hire of Hakan Özgökçen from ELIG Gürkaynak Attorneys-at-Law. Özgökçen jointly heads the practice with Zümrüt Esin, a regular adviser to major corporate clients on merger control filings and competition investigations. The firm also handles large-scale antitrust proceedings before Turkish and European courts on behalf of clients in heavily scrutinised industries such as retail, logistics, and automotives. Senior associate Sinan Diniz is another key figure in the team.
Zümrüt Esin; Hakan Özgökçen
Other key lawyers:
PepsiCo Turkey / Frito-Lay
Banvit Bandirma Vitaminli
Sysmex Turkey Diagnostik Sistemleri
Doğuş Planet Elektronik
Toppan Printing Co
- Advised TNT Turkey – Turkish subsidiary of FedEx, on an investigation by the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Advised Franklin Templeton on the merger control filing related to its acquisition of certain Abraaj Group funds.
- Advised Faurecia SE on the merger control filing for Faurecia’s acquisition of the 50% share capital of SAS Automotive Systems from Continental.
GKC Partners (in professional association with White & Case) works with the firm's global corporate team on large-scale transactions. In particular, the team has worked on a number of standout cross-border deals for major investment funds and corporate entities, a recent example of which was Zynga's acquisition of Peak Games. Led by Sezin Elçin-Cengiz, the competition team assists with merger control proceedings, and also represents corporate clients in TCA investigations relating to pricing and abuse of dominance. Of recent note, the team represented Nestle Turkey in the TCA's retail pricing investigation.
Sun Chemical Corporation
MOL Hungarian Oil and Gas
Polska Grupa Lotnicza
Mayhoola for Investments
Hanwha Q Cells Güneş Enerjisi
Nestlé Türkiye Gıda Sanayi
- Provided Turkish competition law advice to Pfizer in relation to the merger of Mylan NV and Upjohn, a division of Pfizer, with a deal value of approx. $25bn.
- Advising Nestlé Turkey on a Covid-19 related investigation carried out by the Competition Authority against a number of food and cleaning products manufacturers and chain markets.
- Provided Turkish competition law advice to Saudi Aramco on its acquisition of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), with a deal value of approx. $69.1bn.
Togan Turan heads up the competition team at Paksoy, acting for a range of clients including multinational businesses, private equity investors, such as Blackstone, and major Turkish companies in competition and antitrust-related cases. Work flows include merger control filings for large-scale cross-border M&A, and investigations by the TCA, including allegations of cartel behaviour, abuse of dominance, and price-fixing. Turan has a strong reputation in Turkish competition law, and is supported by counsel and former TCA official Gülçin Dere.
Other key lawyers:
‘Solid firm providing sound advice at a good price’
‘Togan Turan manages the team very well, getting involved when he needs to. Very reasonable on fees.’
JFE Steel Corporation
Petrochemical Industries Company K.S.C.
Solmaz Gümrük Müşavirliği
Total Oil Türkiye
- Advised AbbVie on the merger filing for its $63bn acquisition of Allergan.
- Represented Total Oil in a cartel investigation in the oil sector, resulting in no sanction for the client.
- Represented Sahibinden.com before Turkish courts in relation to the cancellation of the decision of the TCA imposing fines for an alleged abuse of dominant position.
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership has expanded its client base thanks to its alliance with Gide Loyrette Nouel. As a result, the firm is now acting for multinational businesses including Renault Trucks in competition matters. The team is led by Arpat Şenocak, who is experienced in both Turkish and international competition law. Şenocak support clients in merger control filings and proceedings, applications for exemptions, and investigations by the European Commission and Turkish Competition Authority. Recent highlights have ranged from large-scale pricing investigations to business structuring support.
BNP Paribas Cardif Emeklilik
NN Hayat ve Emeklilik
- Advising Renault Trucks on structuring of several vertical agreements in compliance with Turkish competition legislation.
- Advising Believe Digital on competition elements of the acquisition of a controlling stake in DMC.
- Structuring of bancassurance agreement between BNP Paribas Cardif and Turk Ekonomi Bankasi and notification of the transaction to the Turkish Competition Authority for individual exemption
Erdem & Erdem Law Office acts for major Turkish businesses in a variety of industries, including industrials, automotives, and financial services. The team represents clients in merger control proceedings and investigations, with a particular focus throughout 2020 on the retail sector and pricing investigations launched in the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic. Ercüment Erdem heads up the team alongside Mert Karamustafaoglu, an expert in Turkish and EU competition issues.
Ercüment Erdem; Mert Karamustafaoğlu
‘They are innovative and they have good communication skills.’
‘Erdem & Erdem has decades of experience regarding the industries that are strategically important for us, namely port management, mining and energy. Their exceptional partners including Mr. Mert Karamustafaoglu, the practice lead for competition law, have a deep understanding of our sectoral challenges.’
‘Mr. Mert Karamustafaoglu is extremely knowledgeable and does a fantastic job of delivering tailor-made solutions for our competition law related issues as well as merger clearance filings for our projects. Thanks to his experience both as a former expert in the Competition Authority and a lawyer in private practice, he is capable of addressing a broad range of matters very effectively.’
Türkiye Şişe ve Cam Fabrikaları
İş Bank (Türkiye İş Bankası)
Carrefoursa Carrefour Sabancı Ticaret Merkezi
Gemlik Gübre Sanayii
Trakya Cam Sanayii
Paşabahçe Cam Sanayi
Yıldız Entegre Ağaç
IC İçtaş İnşaat Sanayi
Bankalararası Kart Merkezi
Anadolu Etap Penkon Gıda ve Tarım Ürünleri Sanayi
Anadolu Isuzu Otomotiv San
CMA CGM Deniz Acenteliği
TEB Arval Araç Filo Kiralama
Adel Kalemcilik Ticaret ve Sanayi
İndeks Bilgisayar Sistemleri Mühendislik Sanayi ve Ticaret
Yalçın Tekstil Boya ve Apre Sanayi ve Ticaret Anonim
Dorak Turizm ve Gayrimenkul Yatırımları
Le-Co Deri Turizm
Co DMC Turizm ve Ticaret
Atmosfer Balonculuk Ticaret Turizm
Gökyüzü Balonculuk Hizmetleri
Kapadokya Balonculuk Turizm Ticaret
Sultan Balonculuk Havacılık
Akben Turizm Seyahat
DLX Seyahat Acentalığı
GNM Turizm Tic
Discovery Havacılık Turizm ve Ticaret
Samanyolu Havacılık Balonculuk Eğt. Tur. İnş. San. ve Tic.
Uluer Havacılık Turizm ve Ticaret
Pamukkale Birlik Online Turizm ve Ticaret
Elis Balonculuk Havacılık ve Eğitim Turizm Ticaret
Denizli Havacılık Turizm Ticaret
- Representing TEB, the joint venture of BNP Paribas in a preliminary investigation regarding deposits, loans, foreign currencies, securities, bonds, stocks and the intermediary services market.
- Representing Trakya Cam Sanayii in the recent investigation launched by the Turkish Competition Authority based on excessive price allegations in the flat glass market.
- Representing Carrefoursa Carrefour Sabancı in the investigation launched by the Turkish Competition Board based on the allegations that organised fast moving consumer goods retailers have violated competition legislations.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke advises corporate clients on competition and antitrust issues, and is particularly active in the retail, logistics, and transportation sectors. Areas of strength include merger control and competition investigations, particularly those relating to cartel allegations, abuse of dominance and pricing. Senem Denktas and Kayra Üçer lead the team, while senior associate Süleyman Cengiz focuses exclusively on competition work, having formerly worked as a counsel at the TCA.
Senem Denktaş; Kayra Üçer
Other key lawyers:
UPS Hızlı Kargo Taşımacılığı
Ege-Tav EGE Tarım Hayvancılık
Kale Nakliyat Seyahat ve Turizm
Bristol Myers Squibb İlaçları
Fairfax Financial Holdings
Atasun Optik Perakende
Xylem Water Solutions Global Services
- Represented UPS in a TCA investigation regarding alleged anti-competitive conduct carried out in the postal/cargo delivery services and transportation market.
- Represented Ege-Tav EGE Tarım Hayvancılık in a TCA investigation regarding alleged anti-competitive conduct carried out in the poultry meat sector.
- Represented Kale Nakliyat Seyahat in a TCA investigation regarding alleged anti-competitive conduct carried out in the roll on-roll off transportation market.
ZESA Attorney Partnership
ZESA Attorney Partnership is a boutique firm handling competition issues for a range of domestic and international clients. Jointly led by competition specialists Efser Zeynep Ergün and Sibel Yılmaz Atik, the team advises on merger control filings and myriad competition law compliance issues. It also represents clients in TCA investigations.
Efser Zeynep Ergun; Sibel Yılmaz Atik
Akol Law assists multinational corporate, including Chevron and British American Tobacco, with filings and competition law issues relating to their activities in Turkey. Areas of focus include regulatory compliance and pre-emptive antitrust support, as well as merger control filings with the TCA. The team is overseen by transactional partner Tuğçe Tatari and regulatory specialist Ömer Gökhan Özmen.
Tuğçe Tatari; Ömer Gökhan Özmen
British American Tobacco
- Advised shareholders of Betek Boya on the sale of their majority shares to Nippon Paint, and obtained consent from the Turkish Competition Authority for the transaction.
- Advised Sovos on the acquisition of Foriba and assisted in obtaining clearance from the Turkish Competition Authority.
- Advised Chevron on disposal of its interests in the Azeri Chirag and Deep Water Gunashli field, and the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline to MOL Hungarian Oil and Gas, obtaining clearance from the Turkish Competition Authority and providing competition law advice to the client within the standstill period.
Gün + Partners has particular expertise advising clients in the pharmaceuticals sector on merger control filings and applications for exemptions. The firm also represents clients in TCA investigations, including an ongoing matter for Red Bull. The team is led by Özge Atılgan Karakulak and Filiz Toprak Esin.
Özge Atılgan Karakulak; Filiz Toprak Esin
- Represented a client in an investigation conducted by the Competition Authority.
- Assisted a client with an individual exemption application to the Competition Authority regarding the Memorandum of Understanding signed to lay down the terms and conditions of the Toll Manufacturing Contract.
Kolcuoglu Demirkan Koçakli significantly bolstered its competition law practice with the arrival of former TCA counsel Neyzar Ünübol in late 2019. Working alongside practice co-head Umut Kolcuoğlu, Ünübol and the team advise on merger control filings and Turkish competition law, and also represent clients in TCA investigations, including the high-profile pandemic-motivated investigation into retail pricing.
Umut Kolcuoğlu; Neyzar Ünübol
‘They have a sound knowledge with regard to Turkish Competition Law. Also their staff has a long working experience as a chief auditor in Turkish Competition Authority.’
‘The Competition team at Kolcuoglu Demirkan Kocakli Attorneys at Law has demonstrated strong knowledge of the subject area. For us, it is very important that the team consists of subject matter experts. They have been also been quite available and responsive despite all the challenges presented by Covid19.’
‘We most closely work with Ms. Neyzar Unobol. She is quite outstanding in her ownership of our business and challenges. She goes above and beyond to understand the business dynamics and as a result give actionable yet precise advice. Her sense of ownership and energy is unparalleled.’
‘The team includes experienced, well educated and focused lawyers in their areas. Especially, ex-experts from the competition board as consultant makes the team one step forward.’
‘Umut Kolcuoglu is a creative and widely respected competition lawyer. ’
‘I would describe Umut as a thought leader.’
Prime Global Holdings LLC (Vinmar International Ltd.)
Turkven Private Equity
The Boston Consulting Group
- Represented Gratis in the investigation initiated by the TCA against Gratis and 28 other large-scale FMCG retailers and suppliers in Turkey, relating to allegations of coordinated price increases by the FMCG retailers during the Covid-19 outbreak.
- Represented HDI Insurance, the Turkish subsidiary of Talanx Group, in the pre-investigation launched against OSEM Certification and Association of Insurance, Reinsurance and Pension Companies of Turkey, which HDI Insurance is a member of.
TURUNÇ is engaged in a number of long-term competition authority investigations on behalf of major clients such as SC Johnson. Among these, the firm has developed experience in cartel investigations and price-fixing cases. The team led by Esin Çamlibel and Noyan Turunç, who also advise corporates and private equity investors on merger control filings and competition aspects of overseas operations.
Esin Çamlibel; Noyan Turunç
‘We rely on Noyan Turunc.’
Vinci Venture Capital
Export-Import Bank of Korea
- Successfully defended SC Johnson, allowing it to avoid its inclusion in the Turkish Competition Board’s recently launched price gouging investigation into 29 companies operating in the hygiene products, food and retail sectors.
- Obtained merger clearance from the Turkish Competition Board in connection with a private investment group’s acquisition of a majority of the shares of Tatilbudur from the Polish private equity fund MCI.
- Advised BigChefs on the competition law aspects of its international franchise agreements.