Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited is active across all sectors of transportation including aviation, maritime, automotive, freight-forwarders and logistic companies. Alan Polivnick co-leads the team and is notable on aviation and logistic in particular, both contentious and non-contentious matters. His clients include insurance companies. Co-lead Kay Kian Tan specialises in shipping disputes.
Transport in Thailand
Ford Company Limited
Gulf Air Company
Lancaster Resort Co.
- Acted for a Lloyds’ Syndicate of Hull/War policy insurers of the Aircraft Lease Corporation (ALC), one of the largest aircraft leasing companies in the world, on the repossession and sale of two B737 aircraft with a total insured value of US$70m.
- Advising and acting for Lancaster Resort on claims against a shipyard for defective construction, poor workmanship, breach of the shipbuilding contract and negligence in the construction of a floating hotel.
- Advising ExecuJet Maintenance Australia Pty Ltd (“ExecuJet”) on a contract between ExecuJet and the Royal Thai Navy (RTN) to undertake maintenance on the RTN’s 2 VIP jets. The negotiations were complicated by the requirements and demands of the RTN and the need to balance our client’s commercial objectives and operating requirements with the demands and approach of the RTN, particularly in relation to payment terms and security to be provided by ExecuJet.
Baker McKenzie LLP
Baker McKenzie LLP works across the full spectrum of transportation matters with expertise in aviation, road, rail and port infrastructure projects as well as work in the automotive sector. Sawanee Sethsathira co-leads the team and handles PPP and infrastructure matters, advising on the full life cycle of a project. She has also worked with the Thai government on the development of an infrastructure fund scheme. Suriyong Tungsuwan is head of the manufacturing and transportation group and has decades of experience in transport sectors.
Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited
RATCH Group Public Company Limited
Thai Lion Air
Thai Airways International Public Company Limited
Thai Smile Airlines
Nok Airlines Public Company Limited
- Advising GED as the successful bidder in relation to the next phase of negotiating the PPP for the Map Ta Phut Industrial Port Phase 3 Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) Project.
- Advising GED as the successful bidder in relation to the next phase of negotiating the PPP for the Laem Chabang Port Phase 3 Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) Project.
- Representing Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited, BTS Group Holdings Public Company Limited, RATCH Group Public Company Limited and Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction Public Company Limited (BGSR) as the successful consortium bidders in negotiating the PPP Agreements for M6 and M81 motorway projects entered into with the Department of Highway of Thailand.
DLA Piper assists its clients in the aviation, shipping, road and rail sectors on matters such as project development, financing and commercial agreements. Peter Shelford is an expert on litigation and international arbitration especially in respect of shipping disputes. The firm has boosted its offering, particularly regarding financing matters, with the hire of Waranon Vanichprapa and Samata Masagee from Baker McKenzie and Weerawong, Chinnavat & Partners respectively.
Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane S.p.A.
AECOM Technology Corporation
- Advising Italian state-owned industrials and rail-operator Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane S.p.A. (Ferrovie) in connection with its undertaking as O&M Contractor of the operation and maintenance of the approx. US$7.4 Billion High-Speed Rail Linking Three Airports Project in Thailand (HSR Project).
- Acting as lead counsel in relation to a complex multiparty arbitration dispute concerning the construction of Suvarnabhumi airport.
Tilleke & Gibbins acts for the principal stakeholders in the industry including ship-owners, port operators, shipyards, cargo owners, cargo interests and airlines. John Frangos is an expert on aviation and compliance/investigations and is the head of practice alongside Noppramart Thammateeradaycho and Santhapat Periera. The team works on transportation disputes and financing matters. It also advises on regulatory issues arising out of transportation matters, marine insurance and ship finance. Chinachart Vatanasuchart has departed the firm.
Fortress Transportation and Infrastructure
Japan Transport Engineering Company
Pacific Air Holdings
Seafarers’ Rights International
- Acted as Thai counsel for a world-leading multinational vehicle manufacturer in connection with the USD 29 million purchase of a Gulfstream G550 aircraft from a leading Thai travel retail group.
- Representing an aviation operating and leasing company with over 240 aircraft and more than USD 6.6 billion assets under management in claiming several million USD in damages as a result of breached aircraft lease agreements on three leased Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
- Representing the Asia Pacific branch of a world-leading multinational insurer in pursuing damaged cargo and a faulty vessel claims against a Thai logistics company.
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd is well known for its infrastructure projects excellence covering airports, road, rail and ports. Its breadth of expertise ranges from advising on greenfield and brownfield matters connected to airport developments to transportation-related and asset financings. Stephen Jaggs has assisted with the financing of transportation projects including aviation finance while the 'client focused' Sarah Wilson is highly rated for her asset, ECA and project finance skills. She handles large-scale, Asia-wide matters. Associate Panuwat Chaistaporn works with Wilson on ship financings in Thailand and Southeast Asia more broadly.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sarah Wilson is very client focused and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Panuwat Chaistaporn has deep aviation experience and a genuine love for the industry, making him an excellent fit for aircraft lessors and financiers.’
Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited
Kasikornbank Public Company Limited
Krungthai Bank Public Company Limited
BTS Rail Mass Transit Growth Infrastructure Fund (BTSGIF)
- Acted as Thai legal counsel representing Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited, Kasikornbank Public Company Limited and Krungthai Bank Public Company Limited (collectively the Arrangers) in respect of a repeat THB-denominated debenture transaction by Thai Airways International Public Company Limited.
- Advised BTS Rail Mass Transit Growth Infrastructure Fund (BTSGIF), managed by BBL Asset Management, on the proposed revisions to the fund documentation, including the fund scheme, to reflect the fare revision of the BTS Skytrain Green Line.
JTJB International Lawyers Co Ltd is active on transactions and disputes work in the transportation field, with managing partner Naiyachon Tathong acting for an array of clients including shipowners, insurance and logistics companies. On the contentious side his expertise lies in maritime disputes, including charter party claims. On the non-contentious side of work he has advised on ship registrations and environmental-related maritime matters.
Asia Green Energy Public Company Limited
Acutech Co., Ltd.
Ceva Logistic (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Damco Logistics (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
LEO Global Logistics Public Company Limited
Milestone Shipping SA
Olam international Limited
PICC Property and Casualty Co. Ltd. and TMS Global Survey & Recovery Services Ltd.
Seahorse Ferries Co., Ltd.
Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Western Bulk Pte Ltd
- Represented Olam international Limited to claim for damages against Bureau Veritas (Thailand) Co., Ltd. (“BV”) in the performance of its duty under the agreement, to professionally inspect and issue the certificate of weight, quality and packing of the cargo of 22,057.00 tons Burmese White Rice 25% Broken supplied by Shwe Wah Yaung Agriculture Production Co., Ltd. in Union of Myanmar to carry to Huilerie De Guinee by the vessel M.V. Ocean Princess.
- Represented Asia Green Energy Public Company Limited (“AGE”) as the charterer of the Vessel to defence the arbitration claim in the Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration (SCMA), brought by HTK Shipping and Import Export Co., Ltd. (“HTK”) as the Owner of MV HTK Sunrise for compensation of demurrage, damages, loses and arising expenses on the ground of breach of the charterparty contract.
- Assisting Seahorse Ferries Co., Ltd. (“Seahorse”), a subsidiary of Namyong Terminal PCL which is one of leading terminal services, car storage areas and warehousing services in Thailand, to acquire the vessel worth approx. THB 160 million in order to carry on ferry business in Thailand.
Pramuanchai Law Office Co, Ltd
Pramuanchai Law Office Co, Ltd is active on aviation and shipping matters in the transport sector. Insurers, airlines and shipbuilders count among the firm's client base. The team is led by Pramual Chancheewa who acts on shipping disputes.