Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited has demonstrable expeirence across the aviation, automotive and maritime sectors, and frequently acts for freight-forwarders and logistic companies on contentious and non-contentious matters, as well as regulatory issues. The team has seen an increase in aviation-related work, such as handling domestic and cross-border issues, in addition to high-end disputes and commercial contracts, and advises on a range of structures and commercial relationships between foreign investors and Thai airlines. Sydney-based Alan Polivnick jointly leads the team alongside Kay Kian Tan, who specialises in international trade and shipping disputes. Key clients include Genesis Aircraft Services, Groupe ADP and Keos Aviation UK Limited, among others.
Transport in Thailand
Alan Polivnick; Kay Kian Tan
Agoda Company Pte Ltd
ALAFCO Aviation Lease and Finance Co KS
Genesis Aircraft Services Limited
KEOS Aviation UK Limited
MUFG Bank Ltd
Baker McKenzie LLP
Baker McKenzie LLP advises domestic and international clients, ranging from airlines, developers and project sponsors to contractors, suppliers and automobile manufacturers, on matters concerning aircraft sales and purchases, maintenance agreements, as well as PPPs and infrastructure projects, including road and rail matters. Suriyong Tungsuwan, who is noted for his experience in the automotive sector, jointly leads the team alongside Sawanee Sethsathira, who leads on PPP transportation transactions. Viroj Piyawattanametha focuses on project financing and development work, in addition to transport-related M&As, while Permsak Krairiksh advises on aircraft leasing and finance mandates.
Suriyong Tungsuwan; Sawanee Sethsathira
Other key lawyers:
Viroj Piyawattanametha; Permsak Krairiksh
Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited
PTT Public Company Limited
Energy Absolute Public Company Limited
Eastern Water Resources Development and Management Public Co., Ltd.
Italian-Thai Development Public Company Limited
- Representing Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited, BTS Group Holdings Public Company Limited, RATCH Group Public Company Limited and Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction Public Company Limited in relation to the project development of the M6 and M81 motorway projects including negotiations with the Department of Highway of Thailand.
- Advising Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited (GED) in relation to the project development of the Map Ta Phut Industrial Port Phase 3 Project, including negotiation of the PPP and EPC work.
- Advising Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited (GED) in relation to the project development the Laem Chabang Port Phase 3 Project, including negotiation of the PPP.
Tilleke & Gibbins stands out for its expertise in the aviation sector, acting for a range of clients, including airlines, aircraft leasing companies, air cargo firms and other aviation-related companies, on matters concerning aircraft acquisitions and sales, in addition to aircraft leasing and financing. Disputes specialist John Frangos, who serves as a committee leader for the Aerospace Council of the American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand, jointly leads the aviation group alongside Santhapat Periera, who handles aircraft-related commercial transactions. Noppramart Thammateeradaycho spearheads the shipping practice and has demonstrable experience advising on major maritime insurance claims.
John Frangos; Noppramart Thammateeradaycho; Santhapat Periera
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company
GE Capital Aviation Services
Pacific Air Holdings
Pratt & Whitney
Japan Transport Engineering Company
Seafarers’ Rights International
- Advised leading aircraft lessors on a USD 106 million aircraft sale and leaseback transaction.
- Engaged to advise and assist on the amendment and restructuring of USD 20.5 million airframe and engine portfolio financing.
- Represented Bureau Veritas in a virtual hearing at the Thai IP&IT Court, for a case involving surveyor liability claims brought against the client in relation to a shipment of rice that was found to be spoiled upon arrival at the destination.
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd
Counting domestic banks, financiers, lessors and lessees, export credit agencies, airlines and manufacturers among its key roster of clients, Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd’s transport team is led by Sarah Wilson, who advises on a broad range of aviation-related transactions, from workouts and restructurings to aircraft portfolio sales and purchases, as well as engine financing matters. The practice also relies on the expertise of Panuwat Chaistaporn, who is acting for various aircraft lessors in insolvency and business rehabilitation proceedings. Both Wilson and Chaistaporn are praised as ‘an exceptional combination on aviation matters’, and senior consultant Stephen Jaggs remains a key contact in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Panuwat Chaistaporn; Stephen Jaggs
‘Sarah Wilson and Panuwat Chaistaporn are an exceptional combination on aviation matters.’
Asian Development Bank
Japan International Cooperation Agency
- Advised Asian Development Bank, Japan International Cooperation Agency and Export–Import Bank of Thailand on a THB600m loan agreement to E Smart Transport Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Energy Absolute Public Company Limited, to fund the development and operation of 27 electric ferries for mass rapid transport on Bangkok’s Chao Phraya River.
- Advised various operating lessors and financial institutions (including ECAs, commercial lenders and other finance lessors) with respect to the ongoing insolvency and business rehabilitation proceedings of Thai Airways, Nok Airlines and Thai AirAsia X in the Bankruptcy Court of Thailand.
- Advising a leading international commercial bank with respect to its financing of a new airport project development in Cambodia.
JTJB International Lawyers Co Ltd’s transport team is headed by Naiyachon Tathong, who has experience advising on contentious and non-contentious matters, from maritime disputes on charterparty claim, arrest and release of vessel cases, as well as demurrage claims, to shipping projects and related M&A transactions. Of note, the practice's caseload has seen an increase in the number of shipping disputes. Bunnasomboon Chaiparinya remains a key contact in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Asia Green Energy Public Company Limited
Olam international Limited
Ceva Logistic (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
COSCO SHIPPING Lines (Thailand) Co., Ltd
Namyong Terminal Public Company Limited
Seahorse Ferries Co., Ltd.
PICC Property and Casualty Co. Ltd.
Thai Yamaha motor co., Ltd.
Sheffield Energy Pte Ltd
Thai Hua (2511) Co., Ltd.
Asia Golden Rice Co., Ltd.
Capital Cereals Co., Ltd.
- Advised Asia Green Energy Public Company Limited on Force Majeure by the coal supplier in relation to Coal exports ban by Indonesia’s government in January 2022.
- Representing Asia Green Energy Public Company Limited to file arbitration claim under SCMA against the vessel owner on the ground of breach of charterparty.