Baker McKenzie LLP provides a comprehensive service across all aspects of TMT. This includes expertise in regulatory regimes, data protection, and cloud computing in addition to transactions and licensing. On the media front, it counts well-know, global clients in its client roster. Dhiraphol Suwanprateep heads the IP/Tech group. He can guide tech and telecoms clients through regulatory regimes including those relating to data security. Pattaraphan Paiboon advises her clients on areas such as the PDPA, the Cybersecurity Act, and the National Intelligence Act. Associate Siranya Rhuvattana is notable for her IT transactional expertise such as IT system procurement agreements, and software development agreements,
TMT in Thailand
Baker McKenzie LLP
- Retained by one of the largest financial conglomerates in Thailand to ensure its compliance with Thailand’s Personal Data Protection Act; the project covers over 5,000 data processes spanning 17 different entities.
- Chosen to be the law firm responsible for ensuring Thailand’s insurance regulatory office, the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC), is compliant with Thailand’s Personal Data Protection Act.
- Legal advisor to all founding members of the BlockchainCooperation Initiative from initiation of the project, which was the first blockchain project in Thailand’s financial sector and undertaken with cooperation of the Bank of Thailand.
Blumenthal Richter & Sumet Ltd acts for Thai and foreign clients established in or seeking to establish themselves in the digital and technology spheres. The firm offers expertise in relation to a broad array of TMT matters such as data centre outsourcing, data privacy matters and software development. Ittinant Suwanjutha and Anuwat Ngamprasertkul are the main contacts following the departure of John Formichella who has left the firm to form Formichella & Sritawat in March 2021.
Tilleke & Gibbins is notable on all aspects of technology work including procurement, development, licensing, transfers and the commercialisation of software applications. Suebsiri Taweepon co-leads the team, and also specialises in contentious and non-contentious IP matters. Athistha Chitranukroh co-leads the team; she is in demand for her expertise in data protection and privacy matters. Associate Nopparat Lalitkomon specialises in technology and digital work, particularly for clients looking to establish themselves in Thailand. David Duncan and Jefferey Blatt departed the firm.
‘Athistha (Nop)takes service-oriented approach as her particular strength, when managing clients. Nop has great flexibility and a strong understanding of clients.’
‘My go-to firm for advice on Thailand’s data protection law. Consistent delivery and work product with clear visibility on turnaround (which is helpful as I am often coordinating counsel across multiple jurisdictions).
‘Steadfast and reliable service and support from Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh and Nopparat Lalitkomon particularly in the area of data protection and technology law.’
- Retained by Facebook to advise on the full range of the client’s business activities in Thailand, including by providing end-to-end regulatory advice on a variety of the client’s tools, services, and applications.
- Represented a subsidiary and SAP partner of NTT Data in the acquisition of a Thai SAP service provider, navigating local licensing quirks to facilitate seamless ISP interactions and enable the client to competitively expand their market presence in Thailand and across Southeast Asia.
- Active secondment arrangement with certain units of Grab to advise on the client’s day-to-day business operations in Thailand and to assist in the launch of various new products.
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd assists its telecoms and IT clients on a wide range of TMT matters such as regulatory issues, and outsourcing in addition to IP and litigation. It also provides corporate and finance expertise. Department head Suparerk Auychaisuparerk is noted for his corporate practice with long-standing experience in the telecoms and technology industries. Dumnern Subpaisarn is a senior consultant in the practice and provides advice to clients on technology procurement, IT transactions, outsourcing, and regulatory issues.
Other key lawyers:
Bualuang Securities Public Company Limited
Credit Suisse (Singapore) Ltd.
Openspace Ventures Pte. Ltd.
Harng Central Department Store Limited (Central Group)
Jasmine Broadband Internet Infrastructure Fund (JASIF)
Goldman Sachs (Asia) LLC
Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited (AIS)
- Acted as Thai law counsel for Jasmine Broadband Internet Infrastructure Fund (JASIF) on its rights offering of new investment units worth THB22.5bn and on a THB18.2bn loan facility from Bangkok Bank to acquire optical fibre cables of 700,000 km from Triple T Broadband Public Company Limited, which is one of the market leaders in the broadband industry in Thailand (trades as 3BB Broadband).
- Advised Credit Suisse (Singapore) Ltd. on a block trade of units in SET-listed Digital Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund (DIF) held by True Move H Universal Communication Co., Ltd.
- Advised Openspace Ventures Pte. Ltd. as the lead investor in a Series B fundraising by Finnomena – a Thailand-based start-up that provides investment products, financial advice and analytical tools to its customers.
DFDL Legal & Tax provides interdisciplinary expertise in cybersecurity, technology, media and telecoms. It advises corporate and banking clients on issues in the TMT area in Thailand and on a cross-border basis. Vinay Ahuja is prominent on fintech matters including blockchain and cryptocurrencies while Kraisorn Rueangkul and senior legal adviser Kunal Sachdev work on technology projects across Asia including Laos and Cambodia.
True Digital Group Co., Ltd.
Indorama Ventures Global Services Limited
Thai Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
Australia New Zealand Banking Group
Prudential Corporation Asia
Lew Yeo Hotel Management
- Advised True Digital Group, a leading technology conglomerate headquartered in Bangkok providing technology and innovation focused services i.e. internet of things, blockchain, business analytics and cybersecurity. Provided advisory services relevant to the group’s expansion plans, establishing True Digital’s presence in the Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam and guiding initial operations in these 3 jurisdictions. True Digital Group is a recent example of how our clients capitalize on our regional prowess.
- Provided legal services to Indorama Ventures Global Services Limited; a global chemicals company and a global integrated leader in PET and fibers serving major customers in diversified end use markets with respect to implementing an enterprise software project across over 120 subsidiaries of the company for enterprise software offered by SAP. Advice was mainly reviewing and negotiating directly with the software provider on a documentary package that exceeded 20 separate agreements, alongside negotiating a services agreement with Accenture who acted as the system integrator for the SAP project.
- Acting as local counsel to advise Grab, in connection with a USD1.5 billion investment from SoftBank’s massive technology fund. Assisted in re-conducting due diligence on Grab entities in Vietnam and Thailand for the new round of potential acquisition of shares in Grab by SVF.
DLA Piper's TMT practice has impressive cross-border reach and combines full corporate/M&A and finance services with specific sector expertise in area such as PDPA-related projects. Don Rojanapenkul is a litigation specialist who assists technology and telecoms clients with a range of matters. Samata Masagee, who joined the firm in April 2020, combines corporate and TMT expertise - recent work includes advising on the launches of new telecom and OTT products. She is well versed on the regulations relating to the technology and telecoms sectors. Dusadee Jittasaiyapan is active in various sectors including life sciences, insurance and automotive industries.
Other key lawyers:
Yokogawa Electric Corporation
Exeltis Pharmaceuticals Holding SL
LINE Plus Corporation.
Telstra Corporation Limited.
Vodafone Group Services Limited.
Indonesian listed media company
- Represented an Indonesian listed media company. Our banking & finance team advised this client as borrower of a US$55 million special situations financing provided by SSG Capital.
R & T Asia (Thailand) Limited acts on the established and emerging sectors of TMT including technology, media and data privacy matters as well as data security, fintech and e-commerce. Supawat Srirungruang is varied in his experience, with involvement in administrative proceedings in the telecoms field, as well as regulatory compliance and cyber security. Saroj Jongsaritwang works with major technology companies on their operations in Thailand. He also has knowledge of e-commerce matters. Senior associate Yingrak Treesaranuwattana is recommended for e-commerce and e-payments work.
Other key lawyers:
Weerawong, Chinnavat & Partners acts for Thai and foreign companies on a range of TMT matters including regulatory and licensing issues, disputes and data protection. Veeranuch Thammavaranucupt is leading the team and is noted for work with media and e-commerce companies in various transactional and disputes matters while Phisit Dejchaiyasak represents major telecommunications and internet service providers in disputes work.
Other key lawyers:
Symphony Communications Public Company Limited
CAT Telecom Public Company Limited
Prananporn Co., Ltd.
Total Access Communications Public Company Limited (DTAC)
Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited (AIS)
- Represented Plan B Media Public Company Limited, Thailand’s leading out-of-home advertising media provider in the THB 4.6 billion (USD 144 million) sale of 18.6% of its shares to VGI Global Media Public Company Limited, a top provider of online-to-offline solutions across advertising, payment and logistics platforms.
- Represented Total Access Communication Public Company Limited (“dtac”) in the landmark agreement to settle legal disputes with CAT Telecom Public Company Limited (“CAT”)
- Representation of CAT Telecom Public Company Limited in relation to undertaking Public-Private Partnership (concession) project for Digital Park Thailand Project.
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP's TMT practice acts on the full spectrum of matters for a range of clients in multiple sectors. This includes licensing and regulatory, intellectual property, trade secrets, privacy and data protection work. The team is led by Stephen John Bennett who represents private and public companies on project developments in the telecoms sector.
Thaicom Public Company Limited
Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (“GISTDA”)
Rabbit-LINE Pay Co., Ltd. (“RLP”)
Tencent Holdings Limited
Total Access Communication Public Company Limited
Intouch Holdings Public Company Limited (“Intouch”)
Beacon Venture Capital Co., Ltd. (“BeaconVC”)
Fastwork Technologies Co., Ltd. (“Fastwork”)
- Advised China Literature on its acquisition of 20% of shares in Ookbee U Company Limited, one of the largest online literature business operators in Thailand, principally engaging in the business of providing online literature and digital lifestyle content through various online platforms owned by it and its subsidiaries.
- Advised Nation Multimedia Group on the return of its Digital Television License in accordance with the government sector’s policy under the Notification of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission Re: Criteria and Procedures for the Compensation Payment as a result of the Return of Digital Television Frequency License to Operate Digital Television and the subsequent disposal of all related assets.
- Advised ThaiCom and its parent company, Intouch Holdings Public Company Limited in respect of its satellite business concession and satellite repairs, including in respect of an arbitration against the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society in connection with whether or not Thaicom 7 and Thaicom 8 broadcasting satellites fall under the Concession Agreement.
Linklaters' TMT practice is headed up by Wilailuk Okanurak, senior partner of the Bangkok office, who has advises telecoms and technology clients on their operations in Thailand and across Southeast Asia, this includes technology- related M&A. Wanwisar Nakarat is recommended for her work on TMT transactions and e-commerce issues. Sutthipong Koohasaneh, newly promoted to partner, is also a notable name in the TMT space.
Other key lawyers:
Ascend Capital Co., Ltd.
Bangkok Bank Plc.
Digital Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund
Kiatnakin Bank Plc.
Krung Thai Bank Plc.
SCB 10X Co., Ltd.
The Siam Commercial Bank Plc.
Total Access Communications Plc.
TPG Capital (S) Pte Ltd
True Growth Infrastructure Fund
True Corporation Plc.
True Digital Group
True Incube Company Limited
United Technologies Corporation
- Advised True Corporation Public Company Limited through its wholly-owned subsidiary True Digital & Media Company Limited on the acquisition of a 51% stake in Crave Interactive Limited.
- Advised True Corporation Public Company Limited through its wholly-owned subsidiary True Digital & Media Company Limited on the acquisition of a 10% stake in NIP (Cayman) Limited, which holds subsidiary companies in Brazil, China, the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong and Indonesia.
- Advised SCB Asset Management Co Ltd, the management company of the Digital Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund (DIF) which is Thailand’s first and largest telecommunications infrastructure fund, on the acquisition of additional telecommunications infrastructure assets with the value of approximately THB 15.8bn from subsidiary companies of True Corporation Public Company Limited.
Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited assists telecommunications, film production and technology companies on regulatory matters and commercial agreements. Alongside advisory experience the firm also handles litigation and arbitration. Christopher Osborne undertakes contentious and non-contentious TMT work, representing major clients in the field. Alan Polivnick is active in Thailand and the wider region, providing commercial and regulatory advice to TMT clients.
‘Alan Polivinick’s knowledge of travel and insurance law and regulations in the region and his connections with other APAC law firms.’
‘Partner led, value for money, true partnership, extension of in-house legal department.’
‘Responsive, client-friendly clear advice. Better than some more expensive competitors.
‘Alan Polivnick. True business partner with me and colleagues in the legal department and our internal product colleagues.’
‘This is a team with some genuine TMT and data protection expertise in Thailand.’
‘Chris Osborne manages a very effective team and although his profile may not say so, he has a good understanding of the TMT sector in Thailand. We are happy to work with them for any Thai law support.’
Agoda Company Pte Ltd.
AirAsia Group (IHQ) Ltd
Airbnb Singapore Private Limited
Emirates Airline Limited
Flash Partners Limited
Ingenico (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
PTT Public Company Ltd
- Advising Tata Communications on the provision of smart car IT services in Thailand to Jaguar Land Rover. Provided Thai regulatory advice on telecommunications, importation of frequency equipment and personal data protection.
- Advising Ingenico (one of the world’s largest manufacturers of credit card reading terminals) on supply and maintenance contracts with major Thai banks.
- Lead counsel to Priceline.com and its subsidiaries, Agoda and Booking.com on the roll-out of their online flights booking platform in an initial 15 Asia-Pacific/Middle Eastern jurisdictions. This involves advice on a range of aviation, consumer, finance, e-commerce, IT and supply of services issues.