Baker McKenzie LLP acts for prominent domestic and international clients on licensing, cloud computing, regulatory, digital media and data protection matters, as well as cross-border transactions. The practice is led by Dhiraphol Suwanprateep, who acts for clients in the technology and telecoms sectors on a full spectrum of matters, and also includes Nont Horayangura who acts for multinational software and telecoms clients on regulatory issues. Pattaraphan Paiboon is noted for her expertise in PDPA and assists major group companies on compliance matters, while Siranya Rhuvattana advises technology owners and digital infrastructure platforms on technology acquisitions and IT services mandates.
TMT in Thailand
Baker McKenzie LLP
Other key lawyers:
‘Dhiraphol Suwanprateep and Kritiyanee Buranatrevedhya have always been extremely helpful and proactive. They have impressive subject matter expertise and the success of their clients is evidently their focus point.’
- Advising Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) and ensuring it is compliant with Thailand’s Personal Data Protection Act, as well as preparing industry-specific data protection guidelines for the key regulated players in the insurance industry.
The ‘well-versed’ team at Tilleke & Gibbins acts for multinational content developers and distributors, digital business operators, technology manufacturers and telecoms providers, and particularly excels in the technology sector, handling cybersecurity and data protection, fintech, IT infrastructure and OTT media matters. Praised for being ‘outstanding in her field’, practice co-leader Athistha Chitranukroh has ‘deep knowledge of PDPA’, while Suebsiri Taweepon is noted for his expertise in handling contentious and non-contentious IP matters. Senior associate Nopparat Lalitkomon focuses on technology, data privacy, cybersecurity and digital work, and counsel Charuwan Charoonchitsathian is active in the telecoms and fintech space.
‘The team is well-versed in the relevant laws and provides high quality advice. They are responsive and good to work with.’
‘Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh is outstanding in her field and is always approachable and helpful.’
‘The team excels in their expertise, and can give accurate and precise advice.’
‘Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh has deep knowledge of PDPA. Although this is new to Thailand, she can advise and answer questions clearly.’
‘The team is great. They clearly know this area and are able to benchmark what other companies are doing.’
‘Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh is a key member of T&G’s TMT practice and my go-to lawyer for anything TMT and data-related in Thailand.’
AI and Robotics Ventures
- Retained by AI and Robotics Ventures (ARV) to advise on joint ventures, M&As, business collaborations, regulatory regimes applicable to innovative AI and robotics offerings, IP protection and commercialisation, and tax considerations and planning.
- Advised a diversified entertainment company on its proposed launch of a subscription video on demand (SVOD) platform in Thailand.
- Advised one of the world’s largest e-commerce and technology companies on local requirements for direct marketing in Thailand and the planned launch of a comprehensive demand-side platform (DSP) for Thai vendors interested in advertising their products.
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd acts for the firm’s TMT sector clients on a range of matters, including banking and regulatory issues, as well as litigation and outsourcing mandates. The team benefits from the expertise of the firm’s corporate group, and regularly advises on joint ventures, M&A and capital markets transactions. Stephen Jaggs oversees the practice alongside Suparerk Auychaisuparerk, who acts for clients in the telecoms and technology sectors on a range of transactions. Senior consultant Dumnern Subpaisarn has experience in cybersecurity, data procurement, IT transactions and regulatory issues.
Other key lawyers:
Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited / Credit Suisse Securities (Thailand) Limited
NR Instant Produce Public Company Limited
Goldman Sachs (Asia) LLC
Jasmine Broadband Internet Infrastructure Fund
Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited
- Acted for Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited and Credit Suisse Securities (Thailand) Limited on a THB4bn block trade transaction of 298,113,200 investment units held by True Corporation Public Company Limited and True Move H Universal Communication Co., Ltd. in the Stock Exchange of Thailand listed Digital Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund (DIF).
- Advised NR Instant Produce Public Company Limited (NRF) on its joint venture with Boosted Ecommerce Inc. to jointly invest in and develop a branded e-commerce business, with the aim of enlarging NRF’s online business and increasing its distribution channels to reach more consumers globally.
- Acted as Thai transaction legal counsel on two domestic THB-denominated bond transactions to the value of THB6.5bn by Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited.
Noted for its expertise in handling data protection and PDPA matters, Blumenthal Richter & Sumet Ltd. is particularly active in the media, engineering, manufacturing and investment services sectors. The practice also advises Thailand’s telecoms operators on their licensing and regulatory requirements. Ittinant Suwanjutha, who represents fintech and digital companies on business structures, operations and licensing, jointly heads up the practice alongside Anuwat Ngamprasertkul who focuses on data protection matters.
National Institute of Development Administration
- Assisting the National Institute of Development Administration with complying with the Personal Data Protection Act B.E. 2562 (2019).
- Advising on the restructuring of Kaidee’s subsidiary in Thailand.
- Advising the Cars24 headquarters in India on the establishment of a subsidiary in Thailand.
Praised for ‘understanding its client’s requirements’, the interdisciplinary team at DFDL Legal & Tax handles domestic and cross-border banking, corporate and commercial matters, and advises on cybersecurity and data protection matters. Vinay Ahuja, who is noted for his ‘analytical skills’ and experience in advising clients on blockchain and cryptocurrencies, jointly heads up the practice alongside Kraisorn Rueangkul who specialises in regulatory compliance.
‘DFDL has a team of trustworthy and well-learned lawyers. They are very good in communication and understanding clients’ requirements.’
‘I have worked with Vinay Ahuja in various jurisdictions and he has good judgemental and analytical skills.’
Zipmex Asia Pte. Ltd.
Funding Societies Pte. Ltd.
Validus Investment Holdings Pte. Ltd.
3i Infotech Limited
Indorama Ventures Global Services Limited
- Assisted Zipmex Asia Pte., Ltd. and its founders, Zipmex with the issuance of convertible notes and share warrants to Jump Digital Currencies LLC (Jump) and other investors.
- Advised Funding Societies Pte. Ltd. on foreign ownership restrictions, setting up business operations in Thailand and ensuring regulatory compliance as relevant to its business.
- Advising Zipmex Asia Pte., Ltd. and its founders (Zipmex) on deal terms, as well as reviewing the Convertible Note Purchase Agreement and Convertible Promissory Notes, while Zipmex advising through negotiations with BitMEX.
DLA Piper advises growing technology, IT, e-commerce and fintech companies on a range of matters, from software development and licensing to financial data-related agreements and outsourcing. The cross-border technology practice has also seen increased activity in regulatory compliance, data privacy and cyber security. Samata Masagee heads up the practice group and advises on technology M&A transactions, startup investments and data protection issues. Experienced litigator Don Rojanapenkul represents clients in the technology and telecoms sectors on a range of disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Partners and associates are capable of providing legal advice in a timely manner and swift response to having a call or meeting for discussion.’
True Corporation Public Company Limited
5G Catalyst Technologies Co., Ltd.
LINE Company (Thailand) Limited
Samsung SDS Co., Ltd.
- Assisting True Corporation with the regulatory review on the offering of telehealth service – True HEALTH.
- Advising 5G Catalyst Technologies Co., Ltd. on the development of smart city projects in Thailand.
- Advising Mavenir Inc. on establishing operation in Thailand, as well as the importation of the 5G equipment.
Boutique law firm Formichella & Sritawat acts for clients throughout the media, engineering, manufacturing and investment services industries, on IT and telecoms matters, and is noted for its expertise in telecoms licensing frameworks. The team also advises domestic and foreign businesses on entering Thailand’s digital economy and technology space. Practice leader John Formichella has considerable experience in technology transactions and advises on data privacy, cybersecurity, cloud computing and e-commerce matters. Naytiwut Jamallsawat joined from Blumenthal Richter & Sumet Ltd with Formichella in March 2021 and acts for clients on regulatory compliance, cybersecurity, and data protection matters.
Other key lawyers:
R & T Asia (Thailand) Limited acts for multinationals and Thai conglomerates on PDPA implementation projects, as well as advising on a range of corporate and commercial matters. Supawat Srirungruang heads the practice group and has notable experience in the telecoms space, while Saroj Jongsaritwang handles e-commerce matters. The team counts Charoen Pokphand Group and AP Honda Co Ltd among its key list of clients. Senior associate Yingrak Treesaranuwattana is noted for her expertise in e-payments and e-commerce mandates.
Stock Exchange of Thailand
Charoen Pokphand Group
Grabtaxi (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation – Bangkok Branch
King Power International Ltd.
Thai Bridgestone Co., Ltd.
A.P. Honda Co., Ltd.
Thai Life Insurance Public Company Limited
Weerawong, Chinnavat & Partners advises e-commerce, media and telecoms sector clients on transactional, regulatory, data protection, licensing and corporate matters, as well as handling contentious work in the TMT sector. Senior partner Veeranuch Thammavaranucupt leads the practice and handles domestic and cross-border telecoms transactions. Phisit Dejchaiyasak handles disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Go-Jek Singapore Pte. Ltd.
VGI Global Media
Plan B Media
Hero Experience (Marvel)
Symphony Communications Public Company Limited
CAT Telecom Public Company Limited
Prananporn Co., Ltd.
Total Access Communications Public Company Limited (DTAC) and dtac TriNet Co., Ltd.
Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited (AIS)
Jasmine International Public Company Limited
GMM Grammy Public Company Limited
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP advises start-ups, venture capital and fintech clients on licensing, regulatory, privacy, data protection and corporate and contractual mandates. Practice head Stephen John Bennett focuses on advising private and public clients on corporate, M&A, acquisition financing and project development matters in the telecoms sector.
Thaicom Public Company Limited
Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency
Rabbit-LINE Pay Co., Ltd.
Tencent Holdings Limited
Total Access Communication Public Company Limited
Intouch Holdings Public Company Limited
Beacon Venture Capital Co., Ltd.
Fastwork Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Advised Funding Societies in obtaining a license to operate the crowdfunding portal in Thailand.
Linklaters undertakes a broad range of TMT work, involving commercial contracts, IT outsourcing and data protection issues, as well as assisting Thai financial institutions and healthcare companies in their digital transformations. Wilailuk Okanurak heads up the practice and acts for companies in the telecoms and technology sectors in Thailand and across Southeast Asia. Wanwisar Nakarat handles corporate and M&A transactions in this space, as does Sutthipong Koohasaneh.
‘You can get the best resolution from Wilailuk Okanurak. She is smart and intelligent, and understands what her client wants.’
Ascend Capital Co., Ltd.
Bangkok Bank Plc.
Digital Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund
Krung Thai Bank Plc.
SCB 10X Co., Ltd.
The Siam Commercial Bank Plc.
Total Access Communications Plc.
TPG Capital (S) Pte Ltd
True Growth Infrastructure Fund
True Corporation Plc.
True Digital Group
True Incube Company Limited
United Technologies Corporation
- Advised True Corporation Public Company Limited through its wholly-owned subsidiary True Digital Group Company Limited (TDG) on the subscription for a 25% stake in Yi Tunnel (Beijing) Technology Co., Ltd., whose AI image recognition technology is used in vending machines for its customers.
- Advised SCB 10X Co., Ltd. on its investment in Traveloka Pte. Ltd. and joint venture with Traveloka Pte. Ltd. to set up a new online financial services platform in Thailand.
- Advised True Digital Group Co., Ltd. on the subscription for a 40% stake in Mediaload Pte. Ltd
Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited counts telecoms, technology and film production companies among its key clients. The practice advises on regulatory matters and commercial agreements and is also noted for its litigation and arbitration capability in this space. Christopher Osborne jointly heads up the practice alongside Alan Polivnick, who handles commercial and regulatory matters.
Agoda Company Pte Ltd
Ant Group Alipay+
AirAsia Group (IHQ) Ltd
Airbnb Singapore Private Limited
HK Onething Technologies Limited
Konami Holdings Corporation
Singapore Airlines – subsidiary Pelago
Suzhou Anjie Technology Co., Ltd