TMT in Thailand
Baker McKenzie provides comprehensive service in licensing deals, regulatory compliance matters and disputes in the TMT sector. Practice head Dhiraphol Suwanprateep advises on commercial contracts, data privacy and regulatory frameworks for key technology and telecoms clients, while Pattaraphan Paiboon advises on a range of compliance matters, including cloud computing and IT security. On the more junior end, senior associate Kritiyanee Buranatrevedhya has experience in data privacy, analytics, and blockchain transactions, and associate Siranya Rhuvattana is also recommended.
- Assisting Samart with regulatory and commercial requirements around the development and release of an E-Via platform for Thailand.
Blumenthal Richter & Sumet Ltd advises on a host of TMT matters including cloud services, data privacy, e-commerce, IT security and outsourcing. Further, the firm has also delved into fintech in recent years. John P Formichella has particular strength in corporate transactions in the tech space, having acted for major US and European software and telecoms clients in Thailand. The practice group is also experienced in handling cross-border data privacy and protection mandates. Also recommended is senior associate Naytiwut Jamallsawat, who has experience in IT-related corporate work for foreign investors in Thailand.
John P Formichella
Other key lawyers:
Tilleke & Gibbins is highly regarded in the TMT space, where it has deep experience in data privacy, cyber security and fintech, among others areas. In addition, the firm has considerable strengths in IP, which ties in with its service offering in the media and entertainment sector. Key figures include Athistha Chitranukroh, who acts for local and international clients in the insurance and fintech sectors; Suebsiri Taweepon, who handles contentious and non-contentious matters in the computer software space; and Jeffrey Blatt, who has experience in a range of TMT matters including privacy, broadcasting, encryption, and digital and film media. David Duncan is also recommended.
Athistha Chitranukroh; Suebsiri Taweepon; Jeffrey Blatt
Other key lawyers:
Fox Broadcasting Corporation
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd
Allen & Overy (Thailand) Co, Ltd advises regulators, financial institutions and corporates on intellectual property, licensing and outsourcing transactions, and regulatory matters in Thailand and throughout the wider region. Practice head Suparerk Auychai has experience in joint ventures, licensing and regulatory work, and senior consultant Dumnern Subpaisarn has broad experience of Thai telecoms law, and also advises on commercial transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Harng Central Department Store (Central Group)
Standard Chartered Bank (Thai)
Goldman Sachs (Asia) LLC
Morgan Stanley & Co. International
- Acted for Goldman Sachs (Asia) LLC and Morgan Stanley & Co. International plc (as initial purchasers) with respect to the equity issuance of Sea Limited – an online games brand, e-commerce operator and digital payments service provider.
Leveraging a strong regional presence DFDL Legal & Tax is able to handle complex cross-border transactions and has become an attractive choice for regional fintech transactions. A key contact for fintech and cryptocurrency matters is Vinay Ahuja, who advises Citibank on a range of matters including offshore products and financial services to Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar. Corporate lawyer Kraisorn Rueangkul has been increasingly active in the fintech space, and Ivy Liu recently assisted Chunghwa Telecom with its application to the Thailand Board of Investment regarding its investment in Thailand.
Vinay Ahuja; Kraisorn Rueangkul; Ivy Liu
True Internet Data Center
Lew Yeo Hotel Management
- Acting to advise Grab in connection with a $1.5bn investment from SoftBank’s technology fund.
- Advised Revolut, a UK financial services company, on its expansion into Thailand.
- Assisted China Telecom with its application to the Board of Investment as well as advice in ongoing operations in Thailand.
- Advise Xunlei Network Technologies on how it can develop initial coin offering portal services in Thailand.
- Advising True Internet Data Center, a corporate joint venture that seeks to develop the first internet exchange platform in Thailand.
Acting for domestic and international clients, DLA Piper (Thailand) Limited handles a variety of transactional and regulatory TMT mandates, including advice on IT matters, data protection, and e-commerce product development. Also recommended are practice head Dusadee Jittasaiyapan and Don Rojanapenkul, who has been acting in large investment dispute in the telecoms and broadcasting space. Senior associate Pattama Jarupunphol advises a broad client base on regulatory issues related to data protection and privacy.
Yokogawa Electric Corporation
Exeltis Pharmaceuticals Holding SL
LINE Plus Corporation
Vodafone Group Services
R & T Asia (Thailand) Limited has a strong regulatory practice, with experience in fintech, data protection and e-commerce. The team is jointly led by Supawat Srirungruang, who advises telecoms companies on a range of regulatory matters, and Saroj Jongsaritwang, who has experience in media, e-commerce, and date protection issues. Associate Yingrak Treesaranuwattana is also active in the e-commerce space, having acted for e-payment service providers and other e-commerce companies.
Supawat Srirungruang; Saroj Jongsaritwang
Other key lawyers:
Weerawong, Chinnavat & Partners has recently acted for major Thai banks in disputes concerning the design and development of software, while on the non-contentious side, the team advises on the regulatory aspects of fintech and e-commerce products, and also has complementary expertise in IP. Key contacts in the practice group include Veeranuch Thammavaranucupt and Samata Masagee, both of whom acted for Grab in its acquisition of Uber's assets and operations in Southeast Asia.
Other key lawyers:
Total Access Communication
Plan B Media
- Represented DTN, a subsidiary of Total Access Communication, in four separate revolving facility agreements with Mizuho Bank, KASIKORNBANK, Bank of Ayudhya and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation.
- Advised TCC Assets on the joint investment through Siridamrongdham Co., Ltd. and Bhakdivattana Co., Ltd. with GMM Grammy Public Company Limited in digital television, radio and online broadcasting and content provider businesses.
- Advising CAT Telecom, on an advisory basis, in relation to Digital Park Thailand.
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP provides specialist advice on fintech, trade secrets, and data protection, where is handles regulatory matters and commercial agreements. The practice group is jointly headed by Stephen John Bennett, who handles corporate and transactional work for listed and private companies, and Manida Zinmerman, who regularly acts for lenders in finance transactions in the telecoms space.
Stephen John Bennett; Manida Zinmerman
- Representing Digital Phone Co to defend four administrative cases of the Central Administrative Court. CAT Telecom filed the administrative cases against DPC claiming compensation for the use of CAT’s towers and telecommunications equipment after the expiration of the concession period in accordance with the NBTC Notification on the Temporary Measure for Protection of Customers after the End of Concession announced in August 2013.
Linklaters handles regulatory issues, acquisitions and other corporate transactions in the TMT space. Names to note include senior partner and head of practice Wilailuk Okanurak and Wanwisar Nakarat, who is experienced in e-commerce and corporate matters in the telecoms sector. Counsel Sutthipong Koohasaneh advises on foreign investment and corporate matters in the technology space, both in Thailand and throughout the wider region, and Sonya Kalnin has experience in cross-border M&A in the TMT sector.
Wilailuk Okanurak; Wanwisar Nakarat
The Siam Commercial Bank
Total Access Communications
United Technologies Corporation
- True Internet Corporation on TICC’s investment in the South East Asia Japan 2 Cable System consortium.
- Advised True Digital & Media Platform Co., Ltd. on its indirect investment in PT Media Putra Nusantara, a Jakarta headquartered business.
Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited
Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited's 'professional and thorough' team advises film production companies, technology entities and telecoms companies on commercial agreements, regulatory matters, and litigation. In addition, the team has become increasingly active in the fintech space. Christopher Osborne is 'no nonsense' and provides 'exceptional' service in contentious and non-contentious matters. Alan Polivnick advises on regulations payment and e-commerce products and services and also handles contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Professional and thorough team’
‘Trustworthy and no nonsense, Christopher Osborne is the go-to guy for exceptional and specific legal advice.‘
‘Excellent client service.‘
Prysmian Powerlink Srl
Thai Samsung Electronics
- Advised Ingenico on supply and maintenance arrangements with major Thai banks for credit card reading terminals in Thailand.
- Advising Treasure Hunter on legal, licensing and regulatory requirements to operate electronic payment and e-wallet systems.
- Advised DTS Draexlmaier on commercial agreements and regulatory advice on recycling regulations for lithium car batteries for hybrid and plug on vehicles.
- Advising Konami on Thai regulatory issues for the roll-out of arcade video games and data privacy issues.
- Advised Tata Communications on the provision of smart car IT services in Thailand to Jaguar Land Rover. The firm provided Thai regulatory advice on telecommunications, importation of frequency equipment and personal data protection.