Weerawong Chittmittrapap handles all aspects of litigation before all levels of courts, both domestic and international. The firm acts on an array of disputes in sectors such as employment, energy, finance, insurance and IP. Phisit Dejchaiyasak heads up the team and has experience of advising Thai conglomerates in domestic and cross-border disputes. Rapinnart Prongsiriwattana is noted for commercial and administrative litigation work while associate Pralakorn Siwawej is active on a range of disputes including cross-border cases.
Dispute resolution in Thailand
‘The team is advising us on a key litigation. We find Weerawong C&P team to be brilliant and dedicated with significant out of box approach.’
‘WCP has many young, talented and committed lawyers.’
‘I work closely with Akaraporn Kulvijit. I highly recommend him because he is smart and a creative thinker. He is able to provide me with sound advice and good solutions.’
Export-Import Bank of the United States
Total Access Communication Public Company Limited (DTAC)
Thai shareholders of Vitya Holding Co., Ltd., (“Thai shareholders”)
Mr. Sandjaja Tjahajadiputra Prawiro
Advance Finance Public Company Limited
Pacific Alliance Group
Hero Experience Limited
All Inspire; ECC Chiangmai Project
- Representing a major sugar production company in Thailand in two cases where a finance department supervisor committed internal fraud that significantly affected the health of the business and its employees.
- Represented Total Access Communication Public Company Limited (“dtac”) in the landmark agreement to settle legal disputes with CAT Telecom Public Company Limited (“CAT”).
- Represented Mr. Sandjaja Tjahajadiputra Prawiro (the “Client”), a wealthy Indonesian entrepreneur, in a number of cases. The disputes arose when Mr. Sandjaja discovered that his co-worker had committed a criminal and civil wrongdoing to use the company’s income to invest for his own profit. The case involves cross border embezzlement of funds and misappropriation of investment, procured through many successive years of fraud.
Baker McKenzie LLP
Baker McKenzie LLP acts on domestic and international disputes for multinational corporations, financial institutions, and state-owned entities. The firm has a broad expertise, covering construction, customs, tax, and IP disputes. Wynn Pakdeejit and Kanit Vallayapet are co-leading the team. Pakdeejit is also the managing partner and has been active regionally with litigation, notably in commercial disputes, construction litigation and anti-corruption cases. Vallayapet acts on administrative disputes and bankruptcy cases.
‘BM uses a client-focused approach. They stay with what we need and provide practicable solutions to achieve our goals.’
‘Pragmatic with the ability to explain the law in the ways that the layman can understand.’
Deutsche Bank AG
Noble Development Company
General Motors (Thailand) Ltd.
Bangkok Expressway and Metro PCL
AXA Insurance Co., Ltd.
Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- Representation of ten of Thailand’s 24 TV Digital licensees in an administrative tort case against the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Committee due to their failure to adequately meet their duties following our clients’ successful bid for the licenses.
- Representation in multiple cases involving the National Broadcasting and Telecoms Committee and CAT Public Telecom Company regarding expenses incurred while the client provided services on behalf of the state.
- Representation of leading aircraft manufacturing and leasing firms in aviation matters due to breaches of contract by debtors.
Watson Farley & Williams (Thailand) Limited has noted specialisms in construction, energy, insurance and commodities disputes, acting for clients such as investment banks, corporations, shipping lines and airlines. With practitioners based across Asia, the firm is able to handle multi-jurisdictional cases. Steven Burkill is leading the team and has extensive experience of Thai, English and US litigation. Kay Kian Tan specialises in international commercial litigation, active in the energy, transport and insurance sectors. Ratthakarn Boonnua has served as lead counsel on cases involving international trade and commercial disputes.
AIG Insurance Public Company Limited
Bangchak Corporation PC Ltd
Ford Motor Company
Louis Dreyfus Commodities Suisse SA
Poonsub Can Co Ltd
PTT Public Company Ltd
- Advising and acting for Ford Motor Company in a Thai Court case against its insurer in relation to contingent business interruption claims arising out of the Thai Floods. This matter has been ongoing for a number of years and has now reached the Supreme Court stage.
- Representing Bedford Row Capital in a London High Court litigation case against Just Cash Flow PLC for breach of a Sponsorship Agreement with several million sterling in issue between the parties.
- Representing global merchant firm Louis Dreyfus in enforcing six arbitral awards against commodities traders (involving rice and cotton) in Thailand.
DLA Piper's dispute resolution practice is prominent in Asia and around the world in multi-party disputes work. This includes insurance claims, real estate litigation and employment disputes. Don Rojanapenkul is experienced in court proceedings and mediations in Thailand while Peter Shelford has a well established practice dealing with insurance, reinsurance and construction matters. Counsel Komson Suntheeraporn handles contentious employment and banking litigation. Senior associate Ekasit Suttawat is active in the Thai market, advising clients in relation to investigation and corporate fraud, as well as construction disputes.
‘Great in-depth team. Many lawyers have specialist knowledge of commercial litigation. Excellent trial advocates and strategists. Very client focused. Strong appellate court team. Able to navigate through commercial courts, specialist courts such as administrative court and appeals.’
‘Don Rojanapenkul is highly experienced, technically brilliant and a strong advocate who always has our side. He has a strong emphasis on matching the strategy with our objectives. Highly recommended for high stakes and complex cases.’
‘Ekkachat Sirivichai has impressed me with his tenacity and commitment to achieving wins for us. Has shown great understanding of complex matters. Has wide knowledge of different industry sectors.’
Allied World Assurance Co., Ltd.
Blue Lotus Hua-Hin (Thailand) Co., Ltd; Blue Lotus Construction Co., Ltd.
GLH Asset Management Corporation
Harsco Metals (Thailand) Co., Ltd. / Harsco Corporation
HKR International (Thailand) Limited
Nacap Asia Pacific (Thailand) Co., Ltd./Koop Holding B.V.
Herbert Smith Freehills (Thailand) Limited
Herbert Smith Freehills (Thailand) Limited is home to a substantial group of practitioners with extensive experience in litigation and other forms of dispute resolution across a range of sectors. Peter Godwin is head of the firm's disputes practice for Asia while Chinnawat Thongpakdee is the managing partner of the Bangkok office, advising Asian and international clients on disputes in the financial services, infrastructure and energy sectors. Warathorn Wongsawangsiri joined the firm from Weerawong, Chinnavat & Partners in September 2019 and has experience acting for corporations in commercial disputes as well as representing clients in shareholders disputes. He is present in the energy, aviation and real estate sectors.
‘They impressed us when helping us navigate through understanding Thai law and court procedures and processes. They are very practical and have excellent communication skills in delivering detailed and complicated information simply. They are responsive to emails and good at pre-empting emerging issues and ensuring they are dealt with quickly. We felt like we were in safe hands.’
‘The dispute team of Herbert Smith is very admirable and professional.’
‘HSF’s Bangkok team is first rate: excellent advocates, attentive to the needs of clients, overall on top of the game in dispute resolution, both domestically and internationally.’
‘Warathorn Wongsawangsiri is a fantastic professional. Confident and experienced.’
‘Rachata Champathong is one to watch as I am sure he has a bright future ahead. He is competent, well organized and his English is flawless.’
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP's dispute resolution practice group is headed up by Stephen John Bennett and Apichart Phankeasorn. The duo work on a range of disputes including administrative and commercial cases, as well as corporate and financial disputes. The firm's client base is broadly made up of financial institutions, privately held companies and governments as well as individuals.
Ngern Tid Lor Company Limited
Group Lease Public Company Limited
Digital Phone Co., Ltd.
Ford Services (Thailand) Company Limited
Akara Resources Public Company Limited
J.P. Morgan Chase, Bangkok Office
Morgan Stanley Asia Limited
Nation Multimedia Group Public Company Limited
LSF Asset Management (Thailand) Company Limited
- Represented Ngern Tid Lor Company Limited, a defendant in a civil litigation.
- Representing Group Lease Public Company Limited in a defence of a business rehabilitation case lodged by the creditor against the Company.
- Representing Akara Resources Public Company Limited in a class action lawsuit and various cases.
Kudun & Partners' dispute resolution group is active on a range of disputes in the Thai market including those concerning real estate, administrative law, bankruptcy and rehabilitation as well as corporate disputes. Somboon Sangrungjang co-heads the team and assists international and domestic clients on commercial and business litigation. Pariyapol Kamolsilp is the co-head of the team and is experienced in insolvency and bankruptcy matters, with knowledge of sectors such as energy, mining and construction.
Advanced Info Services Public Company Limited
Chanwanich Security Printing Company Limited
Jetion Solar/ Jetion Solar China
UOB KayHian Securities
Jiangxi Water and Hydropower Construction (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Uniqlo (Thailand) Co. Ltd
K.S. Thai Trading Co., Ltd.
- Representing the NCP Consortium in a claim dispute valued at THB30 billion (USD 918.7 million) against the Port Authority of Thailand’s administrative order related to its procurement of Laem Chabang port construction contractor. The client is one of the bidders to become the contractor to construct a deep-sea port for the Port Authority of Thailand.
- Representing one of the leading telecommunications providers and its subsidiary in Thailand in defending the case, which includes a challenge on a request by the plaintiffs to apply class action procedure to this case.
- Defending one of the eight subsidiaries of the first and largest wind farm in Southeast Asia with a total capacity of over 700MW and over 10 licenses from EGAT (Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand). Trouble started in 2015 when the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) began to set limitations on erecting turbines close to residences.
LS Horizon Limited
LS Horizon Limited acts for a range of public and private companies on the full remit of disputes. Prechaya Ebrahim, Lersak Kancvalskul and Wanchai Yiamsamatha collectively lead the practice group. Yiamsamatha has experience of appearing in the administrative courts and the Constitutional Court to represent clients against the state. Ebrahim specialises in commercial litigation while Kancvalskul acts on banking litigation and bankruptcy and insolvency matters.
Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited
The Stock Exchange of Thailand
Siam Makro Public Company Limited
Bankan Japan group companies including Thai Benkan Co., Ltd.
Samart Corporation Public Co., Ltd.
Sri Trang Agro- Industry Public Company Limited
Central Pattana Public Company Limited
- Represented Central Pattana Public Company Limited (‘’CPN’’) and CPN Village Company Limited (‘’CPN Village’’) as plaintiffs in relation to unlawful act and wrongful act against the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (“AOT”) in the Central Administrative Court.
- Represented Lucky Resources & Logistics Co., Ltd in its rehabilitation and drafted the rehabilitation plan for Lucky Resources & Logistics Co., Ltd. for approval of the creditors and the Central Bankruptcy Court.
- Represent the Stock Exchange of Thailand (“SET”) as the defendant in Central Administrative Court in relation to a complaint filed by Energy Earth Public Company Limited regarding temporary trade opening. It dealt with an issue as to whether temporary trade opening is lawful or not.
R & T Asia (Thailand) Limited is noted for its work on commercial and employment litigation as well as customs and trade disputes. Managing partner Surasak Vajasit is a highly regarded litigator with years of experience in the Thai market. Sui Lin Teoh, who co-leads the team alongside Vajasit, is an expert in construction and insurance disputes and routinely acts for international clients. Chotiwit Ngamsuwan litigates in many practice areas and is 'a force before the courts' and associate Kittikun Soontarerat is considered 'the future of the firm'.
‘I have an immense high regard for the team – their sheer dedication, commitment to the cause, strength of unity and integrity have been a beacon of what an excellent law firm represents.’
‘I am confident that my matters are in good hands the moment I step into their office – it embodies professionalism with that personal touch.’
‘Yingrak Treesaranuwattana – a rising star. One of the best lawyers to work alongside.’
‘Surasak Vajasit – a leader by shining example. The team works for him and it shows.’
‘Supawat Srirungruang – an all-rounder, and exudes charm offensive beneath the diligence.’
‘Chotiwit Ngamsuwan – he is always prepared, tenacious and a force before the courts.’
‘Attanit Trisopakul – he is the quiet deliberator. Experienced and calm.’
‘Kittikun Soontarerat – the future of the firm, he embodies determination and sheer grit. This team is worth their weight in gold and more.’
Philip Morris (Thailand) Limited
Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Gheco-One Co., Ltd
Glow SPP11 Company Limited
- Represented Sermsuk PCL in labour court proceedings and ultimately obtained a Thai Supreme Court judgement in favor of Sermsuk PCL in unfair dismissal claims brought by ex-employees.
- Representing Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co., Ltd.’s Thai and Japanese management as defendants in process of the First Instance Court, the Appeal Court and the Supreme Court.
- Representing Gheco-One Co., Ltd as the plaintiff in the Central Tax Court (First Instance Court), the Appeal Court and the Supreme Court.
Siam Premier International Law Office Limited advises Thai and foreign companies on an extensive range of disputes. Techatat Udomsiri is experienced in disputes involving employment, intellectual property and administrative proceedings. Kong Suriyamontol is a commercial litigator who acts for domestic and international clients while Bancha Wudhiprecha handles cases of antitrust investigations and proceedings, and contractual disputes with aircraft parts manufacturers. Prominent on administrative disputes is partner Sumit Masrungson, with three decades of practice acting for public and private sector clients.
Tilleke & Gibbins is active not only in Thailand, but across the region, including in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. Infrastructure, construction and financial services litigation forms part of the team's work which is headed up by Tiziana Sucharitkul. She is the co-managing partner of the firm who has helped drive the growth of the firm in recent years. John Frangos serves as deputy director of the dispute resolution group and also leads the investigations practice. Thawat Damsa-ard is the primary litigator in the team, acting on a wide array of disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘John Frangos is my go-to for regulatory and contentious matters.’
‘John Frangos is very responsive and client-focused, and gives practical advice.’
Amec Foster Wheeler
High Hope Zhongding Corporation
- Representing a European aerospace and defense company in litigation against the Royal Thai Navy in relation to the breach of a defense equipment contract worth over THB600 million (approx. USD 19.8 million).
- Representing a leading Thai technology company in a critical environmental and public health dispute in relation to a high performance submarine internet cable project.
- Representing one of the world’s largest lens manufacturers in a global fraud case involving a former employee in the company’s Thai operations.
Chandler MHM Limited's dispute resolution has extensive experience of litigation in the Thai courts and specialized courts, such as the Administrative Court, Bankruptcy Court and Labour Court. The firm also represents creditors, debtors and other stakeholders on the restructuring of corporate debts. Chatchai Inthasuwan is the head of team and has worked on corporate and commercial disputes as well as administrative cases.
Kennedys acts for local, regional and international clients on high-stakes disputes. Alongside litigation work the firm offers mediation and adjudication expertise. Suraphon Rittipongchusit and Ian Johnston co-lead the practice; both represent corporations and small and medium-sized companies, reinsurers and local authorities. Rittipongchusit is an expert in broad commercial litigation while Johnston primarily handles insurance disputes.
Minor International PCL
Jones Lang Lasalle management Co., Ltd.
MI Squared Co., Ltd.
Food and Beverage Cap Co.,Ltd
- Representing our client in SIAC arbitration proceedings with the world’s largest hotel group.
- Advising on a dispute relating to damage to Gas Turbines in Middle East including large Business Interruption losses.
- Representing the leading hospital in Thailand in a medical malpractice claim.
Natipatana Law Office undertakes cross-border litigation throughout the ASEAN region and acts for high-profile clients on a range of disputes. Founding partner Nuttawut Chinawong has decades of experience in corporate, administrative and labour disputes while Nattaphol Chinawong acts for international clients in cases concerning human rights, international law and political matters. He also works on commercial claims. Craig R. Arndt represents US clients including aerospace corporations.
Cartoon Network Amazone Water Park
Raffles Assets Thailand
Kasikorn Bank plc
The British Embassy Bangkok
The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
Eastern Water Resources Development and Management plc
Chaturon Chaisang (former deputy Prime Minister)
- Engaged by the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan to Thailand to defend its national who is being requested to be extradited to the Republic of India. This case involves highly sensitive international relations and international law issues. The case has resulted in a successful outcome in favour of the Pakistan Government. Engaged various experts in different relevant fields in this case from UK, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Pakistan and Thailand.
- Provided Weatherford International with assistance in respect of employment law in Thailand and won 2 labour cases in the Labour Court. Also assisted Weatherford in a dispute involving California law which resulted in a settlement worth USD3 Million.
- Advised Raffles Education in various matters associated with its education institutions in Thailand and successfully defended and obtained settlements in key cases concerning construction disputes involving the company.
SCL Nishimura & Asahi Ltd's litigators act on administrative law disputes, bankruptcy and banking litigation. Chavalit Uttasart is leading the team and displays a broad expertise having represented clients in matrimonial disputes, assisting hospitality and restaurant operators and cases dealing with confidential information and trade secrets. Also of note is Vira Kammee who has built up four decades of expertise advising a wide range of clients, including foreign institutions.
Other key lawyers:
Siam Makro Public C., Ltd.
TMB Bank Public Co., Ltd.
Asefa Public Co., Ltd.
MINOR INTERNATIONAL PCL.
Central Laboratory (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
J Trust Co., Ltd.
Brand’s Suntory International Co., Ltd.
BMT Pacific Ltd.
- Represented MINOR in connection with an insurance dispute, and helped the client pursue its claims against an insurance company under an insurance policy.
- Represented BS in connection with claims related to an unlawful tax assessment over withholding tax.
- Assisted client in filing a lawsuit seeking damages against the multimodal transport operator, including the cost of the aircraft engine and the rental fees the client was obligated to pay to the lessor.