TMT in Taiwan
Baker McKenzie retains its expertise as the top TMT practice in the domestic market and is skilled in advising local and international clients on all aspects of telecommunications, media law, and data protection. Henry Chang who also leads the International Trade team, oversees the group which handles licensing matters and mergers and acquisitions. Louis Hsieh leads on capital markets-related TMT transactions and assists clients across the cybersecurity and fintech space.
Other key lawyers:
CyCraft Technology Corporation
Brave Guts Ltd.
Gamania Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Iridium Satellite Communications
Network Access Associates Ltd. (OneWeb)
- Advised client Gamania Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. in relation to a proposed business transfer of our client’s subsidiary to a joint venture.
- Provided legal and regulatory advice in relation to M2M services using satellite communications to Iridium Satellite Communications.
- Represented Sercomm Corporation to acquire a US-based broadband equipment manufacturer.
Jones Day's practice handles cross-border TMT and corporate transactions which is strengthened via its global reach across the region. The practice is based in Taipei and jointly led by Tommy Chen and John Lin; the duo are the key names to note and handle local regulatory work, technology licensing, and tech transfers. Also in the team is corporate partner Raymond Wang who advises on joint ventures and restructuring matters. Dispute resolution matters also feature in the caseload.
Other key lawyers:
Holy Stone Enterprise
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- Advising Yulon Motor Co., Ltd., in forming a strategic alliance with Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. in the electric automobile business valued at more than $510m.
- Advising the Special Committee of Diodes Incorporated in its take-private acquisition of Lite-On Semiconductor Corp. valued at more than $430m.
- Advised Qisda Corporation in its private placement investments in TopView Optronics Corp and Sysage Technology for an aggregate of $63m.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm has vast expertise in structuring deals and representing tech companies on competition and corporate matters. Jointly managed by James Cheng and litigator Jeanne Wang, the group advises on data protection and licensing works for leading consumer-driven industry clients such as Alibaba and Alipay. Yvonne Liu is a key name and advises on cross-border personal data transfers for tech clients. The team regularly works across the region, including China.
Other key lawyers:
Alibaba and Taobao
Micron Technology Taiwan
- Advise Alipay on data protection laws and relevant regulations relating to offering payment services.
- Advise Alibaba and Taobao on their data protection policy and assist the client in complying with the relevant data protection regulations relating to their business in Taiwan.
- Successfully assisted Micron, a leading global DRAM manufacturer, to work with the prosecutor and indict former employees and a major local semiconductor company, United Microelectronic Corporation, for allegedly misappropriating Micron’s trade secrets for UMC’s joint research and development project with Jinhua Corporation in China, seeking criminal punishment of up to 10 years of imprisonment for individuals and up to NT$50m criminal fine.
Eiger has a reputable telecoms practice with strength in handling data protection, cyber-security, and regulatory work. John Eastwood heads the team from Taipei which handles compliance work for clients operating across the energy and financial sector, as well as for semiconductor companies. The group also receives repeat referral work from international firms on tech and IP matters. Heather Hsiao comprises the core team as do senior associates Wendy Chu and US-qualified lawyer Nathan Snyder.
Major Italian luxury brand
Famous European energy leader
Global fine fashion group
Fresenius Medical Care
Buesing Mueffelmann & Theye
Silicon Valley-based semiconductor supplier
- Personal data protection review for a global healthcare software company S3 Group providing services to hospitals and patients around the world.
Guo Ju Law Firm
Guo Ju Law Firm handles telecoms matters for public and private sector clients in Taiwan. The team has experience with domestic transactions, regulator work, and IP matters. Paul Chu leads the practice with co-head Ingrid Tsai who manages personal data protection matters and blockchain technology.
Ministry of Economic Affairs
Fiscal Information Agency,
Ministry of the Interior
Environmental Protection Administration, Executive Yuan
Chunghwa Telecom Co., Ltd
Think Cloud Technology Co., Ltd.
International Integrated System, Inc.
Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law advises clients on contracts, compliance, and licensing work. Lipu Lee and Yow-Lun Su are key contacts in the team and provide IP services to tech clients, as well as assisting in copyright litigation. Managing partner Yvonne Lin is also recommended.
LCS & Partners
LCS & Partners has considerable experience advising clients in regulatory, compliance, and contractual work. Pijan Wu heads the team and is noted for handling drafting and licensing projects for cable TV services. Arthur Chang is the other co-head and handles cross-border media matters in Hong-Kong and as does David Chuang.
Other key lawyers:
Investment in KKBOX Inc.
Investment in KKFarm Inc.
KKFarm International Limited
- Acted as counsel for KKBOX Inc and existing shareholders’ rights and preferential treatment negotiations.
- Assisted KKFarm International Limited in dealing with various restrictions under Delaware and California law to meet investor’s commercially reasonable expectations on the investment specifically concerning indemnification matter.
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law covers a wide range of areas for telecoms clients including general regulatory compliance work and representing media operators in litigation against regulators. Ken-Ying Tseng leads the practice which handles antitrust and competition work, domestic transactions, and contractual matters. James Chen is noted for his advisory work to tech giants on mergers and acquisitions.
Other key lawyers:
Far Eastone Telecommunications, Co., Ltd. (“FET”)
Choco Media Co., Ltd
Apple Asia LLC
China Network Systems Co., Ltd
Taiwan Network Information Center
- Lee and Li is the counsel representing the plaintiff (i.e. Global Digital Media Co) to file an administrative lawsuit against Fair Trade Commission for its decision to fine the plaintiff on the ground that the plaintiff and other channel TV program agents had given differential treatment to some cable TV operators without legitimate reasons.
- Lee and Li is the counsel representing the plaintiff Far Eastone Telecommunications, Co., Ltd to file a civil complaint against its market competitor Taiwan Mobile (TWM) for ceasing its use of a portion of C1 frequency band for 4G telecom services, applying for the return of a portion of C4 frequency that is used for 2G telecom service, and the damages arising therefrom until TWM returns a portion of the C4 frequency band.
- Lee and Li is the counsel representing Choco to enter into a cooperation agreement with TOP for having Choco’s OTT serivice on Cable TV, which is the first case where a traditional cable tv operator and an OTT operator cooperate to provide subscribers convergence services.
The TMT practice at Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law covers contentious and non-contentious work for local and international tech companies operating in Taiwan. Jointly headed by George Lin, corporate partner David Lee and capital markets expert Kaiju Lee, the group offers expertise in litigation and IP work, often acting in e-commerce work and contracts.
National Communication Commission
- Current legal counsel to the National Communications Commission (NCC), the telecommunication and broadcasting regulatory agency in Taiwan.