Antitrust and competition in Taiwan
Leveraging the firm's international network, Baker McKenzie is highly respected for its expertise in advising international companies on Taiwan's Fair Trade Law. Services provided by the group include advising clients on FTC hearings, representing clients in pre-merger filings before the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission, advising on the FTC's leniency programme, and advising on antitrust compliance. Veteran antitrust litigator Sonya Hsu heads the practice, while Fang-Yi Jen is an experienced merger control and cartel specialist.
Kevin Wang; H. Henry Chang; Sonya Hsu
Other key lawyers:
‘Cares about costs‘
Varian Medical Sys.
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
CSL Behring Beteiligungs- und Verwaltungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Represented Itochu, a general trading company, to make a pre-merger filing before the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission in a $665m deal.
- Represented KHL Capital Group to make a pre-merger filing before the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission in a $1.68bn deal to acquire China Network Systems, a TV operator.
- Provided Daimler with advice on Taiwanese antitrust law on a retainer basis.
- Represented Evergreen shipping company in a US Department of Justice investigation.
- Assisted Nidec Corporation, a car company, to conduct a multinational merger filing analysis when it purchased majority shares of Chaun-Choung Technology Corp. through its public offering.
Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law handles merger approval applications, administrative litigation, and investigations by the Taiwan Free Trade Commission. The team also advises companies on consumer rights, consumer protection and customer complaints, and has particular expertise in mandates involving the semiconductor sector. A key figure in the team is Chiu-Hua Chen, who is experienced in competition law and has an active public procurement practice.
Other key lawyers:
- Acted for an electric vehicle manufacturer in an investigation by the Taiwan Free Trade Commission.
- Acted for a semiconductor manufacturer in an investigation by the Taiwan Free Trade Commission with potential sanctions for overcharging patent royalties.
- Acted for a consumer goods retailer accused of price manipulation in an investigation by the Taiwan Free Trade Commission.
- Acted for a construction materials supplier accused of price fixing in an investigation by the Taiwan Free Trade Commission.
The team at Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law provides a full range of services in the antitrust and competition space. The team handles international competition investigations, pre-merger filings and antitrust audits, advises on civil antitrust legislation, and also provides comprehensive advice on compliance programmes. Notable individuals include practice head Alex Liu who has extensive experience with the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission and is an adviser to the International Competition Network. The group handles both domestic and cross-border matters.
Laiwu Iron & Steel Group Co., Ltd.
Colour Life Services Group Co., Ltd.
- Handled merger filing for Praxair in a $90bn merger between Praxair and Linde.
- Handled merger filing for Merck, a pharmaceuticals company, in a $6.5bn merger with Versum.
- Advised Laiwu Iron and Steel on Taiwan regulatory and compliance law.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm has a broad service offering, assisting clients on merger filing and leniency claims, providing antitrust compliance training and representing clients before the Taiwan Supreme Administrative Court. The team is experienced in representing companies in administrative and government initiated litigation, particularly in matters involving antitrust law and intellectual property law. The practice is headed by Jennifer Lin and Matt Liu, who has experience as a former officer of the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission and advised clients across a wide range of industries. Senior associate Yichu Chen is also noted.
Matt Liu; Jennifer Lin
‘Strong and extremely well-respected’
‘Matt Liu leaves no stone unturned’
LG Electronics and Lufthansa Technik
- Assisted Linde, an industrial gas company, to obtain clearance of its merger with Praxair.
- Assited PepsiCo to obtain clearance for its acquisition of SodaStream.
- Assisted both LG Electronics and Lufthansa Technik to obtain clearance of a joint venture business.