Baker McKenzie has a reputable competition practice housed in Taipei and is able to leverage the firm's network to provide clients a seamless international offering. Led by seasoned litigator Sonya Hsu, the team handles merger filings, assists domestic and foreign companies on compliance law for business operations in Taiwan, and represents clients in the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission. Fang-Yi Jen is the other co-head and is noted for his cross-border anti-trust experience.
Antitrust and competition in Taiwan
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
GlaxoSmithKline Services Unlimited
Amazon Web Services, Inc.
Sumitomo Corporation of America
Evergreen Int’l Corporation
Lite-On Technology Corporation
Nuvoton Technology Corporation
ASE Technology Holding Co., Ltd.
- Represented Hitachi Ltd. in a pre-merger notification before the FTC on its acquisition of the power grid business of ABB Ltd.
- Guided Evergreen International Corporation through a US Department of Justice cartel investigation launched in relation to container shipping.
- Represented GlaxoSmithKline Services Unlimited to make a pre-merger notification before the FTC on its acquisition of Pfizer Inc.’s consumer healthcare business.
Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law has strength in acting for an array of clients in the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission on anti-trust lawsuits. Overseen by managing partner Yvonne Lin, the team handles merger approval applications and advisory work on consumer rights. Key partner Chiu-Hua Chen is singled out for expertise in investigation proceedings and acting for foreign companies, particularly Japnese clients.
The practice at Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law is led by Alex Liu and Kaiju Lee (who splits his time between Taipei and Kaohsiung City) and has considerable experience across the competition landscape. The team handles antitrust litigation matters, investigations, and merger filings for clients which include large corporations. Domestic and cross-border transactions also feature in the workload which George Lin leads on.
Other key lawyers:
The 'fantastic' competition practice at Tsar & Tsai Law Firm has a large scope of services pertaining to anti-trust work and is jointly managed by Jennifer Lin and Matt Liu who are highly rated by clients. The team represents clients before the Taiwan Supreme Administrative Court, in anti-trust investigations, and has strength acting for clients across the pharmaceutical and insurance sector. Meger filings and compliance matters also feature in the workload. Senior associate Yichu Chen is a core member of the team and handles merger control matters and abuse of dominance.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Tsar & Tsai has just the right mix of litigation instinct and business practicality. They also have fantastic connections within the broader antitrust community in Taiwan, including at the regulators.’
‘Vincent Wang is a talented litigator and writer. He is my top choice for complicated legal matters in Taiwan. Vincent is also an EXTREMELY hard worker, and is always available. Matt Liu is also a talented antitrust lawyer. He is dedicated, persistent, and practical.’
Applied Materials, Inc.
Saudi Arabian Oil Company
Infineon Technologies AG
Showa Denko K.K.
- Successfully defending WT Microelectronics against hostile tender offer by WPG Holdings
- Merger filing for Applied Materials, Inc.’s acquisition of shares of DMO Systems Limited
- Merger filing for Saudi Arabian Oil Company’s acquisition of shares of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation