King & Spalding LLP has a strong global presence and the Geneva team works closely with its international colleagues. Team members are well positioned to act in WTO disputes, such as cross-border anti-dumping, countervailing duty and safeguard cases. The group is also active in investment treaties proceedings; here, it acts for producers, importers, industry associations and governments. Daniel Crosby has special expertise in the energy, metals, chemical, digital and e-commerce industries. He leads the practice together with Stephen Orava in the Washington, DC office. Hamid Mamdouh knows the application of international trade rules to services well.
WTO in Switzerland
Daniel Crosby; Stephen Orava
Other key lawyers:
‘The unique knowledge and experience is very useful.’
‘Daniel Crosby is very knowledgeable in the subject and he is responsive and available all the time to support with urgent requirements.’
United Parcel Service (UPS)
UNICA – Brazilian Sugarcane Industry Association
Global Express Association
SABIC / Saudi Iron & Steel Company (HADEED)
- Representing UPS in connection with national legislation affecting express delivery services and the negotiation and application of WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement and of WTO rules and commitments on e-commerce including the cross-border movement of goods, services and digital data.
- Representing Sabic and its subsidiary Hadeed as the respondent in a safeguard investigation into steel products brought by Egypt.
White & Case LLP's Geneva practice can offer a 'true collaborative synergy among the team members' to act for governments in WTO disputes as well as assisting private members and industry associations with trade remedies work; it has particularly strong experience in the steel industry. Practice head Jasper Wauters is an expert in the field, in particular for market access queries. Counsel Charles Julien has know-how in trade remedies investigations and counsel Sara Nordin is well versed in trade compliance matters. Marcus Sohlberg was promoted to counsel in early 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Charles Julien; Sara Nordin; Marcus Sohlberg
‘The team is really great and unique. They have the best in class lawyers for the different areas of trade and manage to deliver great advice, in a practical fashion. They can really cover any aspect of trade and provide you with a smooth and seamless access to the wider White & Case network if needed.’
‘Jasper Wauters is the star in international trade law. Period. He’s brilliant, smart, competent, prepared. A great professional and human being at the same time.
‘Charles Julien is very prepared and knowledgeable in trade defence and the practice benefits from his above-average quantitative skills.’
‘Sara Nordin is the go-to person for anything related to customs, a field she manages very well with great competence. She’s also very amenable.’
‘Marcus Sohlberg should be watched, he’s on track to following Jasper’s legacy.’
‘Jasper Wauters has a high ability in understanding the clients’ needs and conducting the legal work (research and drafting) in an efficient and productive manner. He has a good legal and practical knowledge of trade remedy measures as well.’
‘White & Case’s Geneva office is dedicated to WTO litigation and arbitration. They are very fast in terms of delivering their product, and always actively engage with the client to produce the desired outcome. Also, they are very analytical.’
‘Jasper Wauters is an exceptionally talented lawyer, who is very experienced and analytical. His team always brings great ideas to the table, and is very synergistic in working with the client to produce the desired outcome.’
‘A true collaborative synergy among the team members toward serving the client queries at any issue and time. Very responsive and diversified support. ’
‘Charles Julien is very responsive, keen to solve and eager to deliver. His accessibility and ability to propose and solve matters in a timely manner either directly or by coordinating an introduction to other experts within White & Case are highly appreciated.’
Government of the Federal Republic of Germany
Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
Ezz Steel Group
- Advising Germany in the DOC CVD investigation of forged steel fluid end blocks.
- Achieved a successful result for Eurofer in a global safeguard investigation conducted by the European Commission concerning imports from all countries of 19 product groups which are produced by Eurofer members.
- Successfully represented the Ezz Steel Group in an anti-dumping investigation concerning imports of hot-rolled steel in Thailand.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP's team has a 'wide range of expertise in the relevant areas of law'. It handles WTO and trade policy work but also advises clients on export controls, sanctions, customs and trade remedies. Its industry expertise ranges from energy, investment funds and high-tech to defence, logistics and shipping. The experienced Alan Yanovich and Stephen Kho are the key practitioners.
Alan Yanovich; Stephen Kho
‘Alan Yanovich has an in depth-knowledge of WTO law and also a high ability to digest and improve new unfamiliar legal arguments presented by clients. His advice is concise and well elaborated.’
‘Their client relations are the best. They are the most solicitous and attentive law firm with which I have worked.’
‘Solicitous and approachable. Knowledgeable without being pedantic.’
‘The trade team of the firm has a number of former USTR and White House officials, hence could provide advice on both substantive as well as procedural nature, when the client seeks their advice.’
‘Stephen Kho provides a good service.’
‘Akin Gump has a wide range of expertise in the relevant areas of law. Their Geneva office is specialized in WTO litigation and multilateral trading system, whereas their Washington DC office is specialized in trade remedies and export control. They have a great synergy.’
‘Alan Yanovich has in-depth understanding of WTO law and practice.’
Permanent Mission of Brazil
Government of Colombia, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Tourism
Government of Korea, Ministry of Trade Economy and Industry (MOTIE)
Government of Japan, Ministry of Economy
- Represented the Government of Korea in a WTO case involving import banks, testing and certification requirements for radionuclides.
- Represented the Government of Colombia (Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Tourism) in the WTO dispute initiated by Panama entitled “Measures Relating to the Importation of Textiles, Apparel and Footwear”.
- Representing the Government of Brazil in WTO compliance panel proceedings in Indonesia regarding the import of chicken.
The members of Van Bael & Bellis focus their practice entirely on WTO disputes and trade negotiations, where they work closely together with the firm's Brussels office. Geneva-based Clotilde du Parc, who is well versed in dispute settlement proceedings, leads the practice together with Philippe De Baere in Brussels.
Philippe De Baere; Clotilde du Parc
Government of Indonesia
Government of Japan (METI)
Government of Ukraine (MERT)
- Acting for the Government of Indonesia in the WTO dispute settlement proceeding concerning certain measures imposed by the EU in the framework of its renewable energy directives limiting the use of palm oil and oil palm crop-based biofuels.
- Acting for the Government of Ukraine in a WTO dispute settlement proceeding brought by Ukraine concerning certain measures imposed by the Russian Federation on the importation of railway equipment and parts thereof.
- Representing the Government of Japan in a WTO dispute settlement proceeding brought by Japan against the safeguard measures imposed by India on steel products.