King & Spalding LLP has a long-standing track record of successfully representing producers, importers, industry, trade associations and sovereigns, with trade remedies including anti-dumping, countervailing duty and safeguard proceedings. Further, the unit, headed by Daniel Crosby, regularly advises clients, for example from the alcoholic beverages and pharmaceutical industries, on EU investment treaty regimes, the economic implications of Brexit and future trade agreements between the EU and the UK. A particular area of expertise is policy work for institutional entities, NGOs and sovereign states. Hamid Mamdouh and Stephen Orava are further key contacts.
WTO in Switzerland
United Parcel Service (UPS)
Global Express Association
SABIC/Saudi Iron & Steel Company (HADEED)
- Represented UPS in connection with the negotiation and application of (1) new interpretations of the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement and (2) WTO rules and commitments on e-commerce, including the cross-border movement of goods, services, and digital data.
- Advised the Global Express Association (GEA) on international trade issues affecting its members’ businesses, including country-specific limitations on their ability to operate.
- Assisted HADEED, a subsidiary of SABIC, with a safeguard investigation into imports of steel products, including from Saudi Arabia, brought by Egypt, securing a positive result through a combination of political and legal engagement.
White & Case S.A. is particularly known for its work regarding WTO disputes and trade remedies concerning strategic industries, representing manufacturers, trade associations and governments in matters from the steel, petrochemicals, chemicals, automotive, machinery, hi-tech and agrifood sectors. The practice is headed by ‘excellent legal mind‘ Jasper Wauters who specialises in international market access issues, with a particular focus on highly regulated industries. The team further includes Charles Julien, whose knowledge of trade remedies is ‘unparalleled‘, as well as ‘up-and-coming‘ Marcus Sohlberg and Sara Nordin.
‘White & Case’s practice group on WTO law and policy is a well established and well respected set of lawyers and other professionals with deep knowledge of the issues and solid connections across the field.’
‘Jasper Wauters is an excellent legal mind, with an ability to focus on the issues that matter to business. Charles Julien knows the nuts and bolts of trade defence, so his clients don’t have to – he breaks it down simply and one can be certain he is covering all the bases. Marcus Sohlberg is up-and-coming, knows the basics and works well with clients.’
‘Competent team, very responsive and collaborates effectively across other team members in my company. Efficient management of resources, deliverables and overall case.’
‘I find Charles Julien to be competent, efficient. He honors all commitments, collaborates effectively and demonstrates a high level of responsiveness regardless of time zone differences, weekends and holidays. In addition, he demonstrates thorough business and industry knowledge.’
‘Among all law firms that I work with, W&C always provides the most succinctly analysed opinion.’
‘Jasper Wauters is extremely analytical and has an immense experience/knowledge about the WTO practice. He is truly one of a kind.’
‘The practice has helped us stay ahead of the game through early identification of potential threats and proactively recommending mitigation pathways. When compared to other firms, we found them to be more willing to listen and collaborate. Their knowledge and network are superior.’
‘Charles Julien has been a partner in our work and successes over the years and we have thoroughly enjoyed working with him. He stands out with his willingness to always support us and guide us in the right direction. His knowledge of the subject is unparalleled.’
Government of the Federal Republic of Germany
Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
Ezz Steel Group
- Advised Germany on the DOC CVD investigation of Forged Steel Fluid End Blocks to defend its interests in one of the first cases where a pro-environment measure has been alleged to be a subsidy, utilizing the legal analysis from the WTO specialists in Geneva, deployment of experience trade remedy attorneys from the Brussels office, and leveraging local resources in Berlin.
- Achieved a successful result for Eurofer in a global safeguard investigation conducted by the European Commission concerning imports from all countries of 26 product groups, which are produced by Eurofer members.
- Represented Ezz Steel Group in an anti-dumping investigation concerning imports of hot-rolled steel in Thailand.
Van Bael & Bellis has an impressive track record of handling EU and WTO trade claims and is well versed in advising on trade remedies as well as international investment law and investment disputes. The ‘superb’ Philippe De Baere and ‘very experienced WTO litigator and fast thinker‘ Clotilde du Parc jointly head the team that covers all stages of proceedings, from appellate body and compliance to retaliation proceedings. ‘Clients ‘highly recommend‘ the unit ‘for the professionalism and expertise in the fields of international trade, dispute settlement, and WTO rules‘.
Philippe De Baere; Clotilde du Parc
‘The team is highly competent and has a lot of expertise in WTO law and WTO dispute settlement proceedings. The team is very client-oriented and provides excellent advice on a broad range of issues, including strategic matters. The team is flexible and pragmatic, and always delivers high-quality products and assistance in a very timely manner. The team is highly efficient.’
‘Clotilde du Parc is a very experienced WTO litigator and a fast thinker. She provides excellent advice on strategic issues, and really engages in a dialogue with the client. While proceedings can sometimes be hectic, she always keeps calm and to the point.’
‘While I worked with VBB team, I was impressed by the professionality the team had shown. The team was very responsive to my requests under a high-pressure situation. The team was excellent in conducting research on the pending issues, and providing very useful and strategic advice to deal with confrontation. Overall, I was more than satisfied with the team’s service.’
‘Philippe de Baere is superb in communicating with his clients. He is considerate and responsive to the subtle request of the client. I highly recommend VBB for the professionalism and expertise in the fields of international trade, dispute settlement, and WTO rules.’
Government of Indonesia
NHO (Confederation of Norwegian Enterprise)
- Advised the Government of Indonesia on the WTO dispute settlement proceeding concerning certain measures imposed by the EU and its Member States in the framework of its renewable energy directives limiting the use of palm oil and oil palm crop-based biofuels.
- Acted as legal counsel advising the Confederation of Norwegian Enterprise, and its members, on strategic legal solutions for addressing market access concerns in light of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA).